Mix ‘n Match

Happy Friday!

As promised last night, here is a table shot of some pictures…

IMG 2682 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

We have no idea how to organize these…!

We played Tetris with them and shifted them all around.

IMG 2673 thumb1   Mix ‘n Match

Eric thought this might look nice like so…

IMG 2680 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

on this wall…

IMG 2687 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

Many of you suggested that we do an asymmetrical collage and referred us to Young House Love:

collagebefore thumb   Mix ‘n Match finalthirdbedroomafter thumb   Mix ‘n Match

We like the one on the right the most. Would it work on a wall with no furniture?

Another reader said we could trace the frames on paper and then test them on the wall to see how we want to organize them. I LOVE that idea!

Eric also thinks he wants to switch the black frames for the frameless ones (the Glo Bar below is in a ‘frameless’) as he thinks they are cleaner looking on the wall. I don’t care either way, but if he wants to I don’t mind!

IMG 2689 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

This morning I had a green monster! I needed to use up some of our parsley and beet greens so I threw a bunch in…

In the GM: 1 cup almond milk, 2 cups beet greens, 1 handful fresh parsley, 1 frozen banana, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 1 scoop Amazing Grass Wheatgrass powder.

IMG 2742 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

The beet greens were pretty good! And by pretty good, I mean that I couldn’t taste them.  :biggrin:

The parsley was really fun. I used to not like fresh parsley, but I find as I eat it more I get used to the taste. I am becoming quite a herb lover thanks to the CSA and Farmer’s markets! I can’t wait to experiment more with herbs.

And because I am all kinds of obsessed, I had an In A Jiffy Curry Chickpea burger

IMG 2754 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

Sunflower seeds in a veggie burger make the burger. I don’t think I will ever make veggie burgers without them again! So much crunch.

These were awesome for breakfast straight from the fridge!

The flower wanted some…

IMG 2751 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

Now it’s time to show you our weekly CSA!

We danced a jig…

IMG 2766 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

LOL! I just don’t know if I can eat those carrots.

IMG 2765 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

IMG 2768 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

Garlic is the new garlic scape!

IMG 2769 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

Spinach and Romaine…

IMG 2770 thumb   Mix ‘n Match IMG 2773 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

Too cute for words.

IMG 2777 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

IMG 2778 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

IMG 2782 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

Now here is where you come in…

I have never had these before…

IMG 2760 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

Some type of mini yellow squash?

I have no idea what to do with them, but I know you will pull through. I’m thinking this is going to be epic.

IMG 2759 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

Eric is off work today so we are heading out in a bit for a bike + run. We realized that the Belwood Try-a-tri that we wanted to sign up for is this weekend. You know you are too busy when you forget your own race date! We are clearly not ready (swimming wise), so I think we are going to either push back our tri to the Milton one in September or do a Duathlon (bike + run), depending on how much time we have to train this summer. Now that we are both working 6+ days a week, it has been very hard to put in enough pool time given the odd hours of the lap swims. Training should be FUN and if it becomes stressful it is time to re-evaluate your goals and adjust accordingly.

Oh yes, and Farmer’s market prep is in full swing!!! Pictures to follow.  :biggrin:

Happy Friday!!!

Ava July 16, 2010

Why treat glorious patty pan’s like plain old zucchini? Stuffing is definitely the way to go. Hollow them out as best you can and saute the hollowed out filling down with a little onion, a clove of garlic and add it to a grain of your choice and some spices fill up the squash and pop em in the oven until they’re nice and soft. My two go to fillings are quinoa, black bean, corn salad (+Mexican spices), and short grain brown rice & peas cooked risotto style topped with fresh basil & balsamic. MMM.

Krystina July 16, 2010

LOL those carrots are too funny!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2010

Thanks everyone for your help!

Megan (Running Foodie) July 16, 2010

Ang, I got some of those cute little squash in my box last week. Last night I made a yummy soup with them and a handful of gyspy peppers. Recipe is on my blog. I know it’s warm out, but I think it would be a really yummy cold soup too – planning to try it cold for lunch today. Gorgeous pictures!

Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15) July 16, 2010

Collages are GREAT, especially asymmetrical ones. Just remember that if there’s no furniture, you need a lot of colorful pictures, or else they’ll disappear into the wall and look bland.

Lol, those carrots look capable of world domination. I’d keep an eye on them.

Wei-Wei July 16, 2010

I think the frameless photos would work great! I don’t know what that squash is but I’ve seen it around. I like how it looks like a top :D

Wei-Wei

Mary @ what's cookin' with mary July 16, 2010

I’m sure I’m pretty late to the game and you already know exactly what you’re going to do with your squash… ;)

Summer squash no ? I would chop ‘em up and roast them in the oven… cook on the BBQ… or in a stir fry.

I really like what you’re doing with your photography shots… I think you’ve inspired me! We’ve got nothing up on our walls in the guest room and I think it would be so much fun to have my own photog up on the walls!

Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 16, 2010

I love your framed photographs, they are truly beautiful and will be a great decoration on any wall! I like the frameless ones since they do look clean, but framed looks more homey and rustic… I wouldn’t know which to pick! :)

My grandma used to grow those squashes… I don’t remember what they actually are though, or what they taste like. :( I was too young. I hope you can get some fun ideas on what to do with ‘em!

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe July 16, 2010

I think your picture collage looks great so far! Jon and I did one like that in our kitchen in the last place we lived…we used food pictures from our time traveling in SE Asia. loved it! Also, we have some of the clip (frameless) frames as well. I think they look really clean and modern. You could maybe even mix them in with regular frames. I love eclectic styled design.

That is patty pan squash! I got some from my Farmer’s Market last week, and thought they were so cute! I used them in a stir fry this week and also just sliced raw. So good…just like regular squash!

Annie@stronghealthyfit July 16, 2010

Love your pictures! I might copy your idea :-) Still jealous of your CSA!

Mary July 16, 2010

Yay! I got some of the same little tiny squash at my farmers market last weekend. This is what I did with them: sautee two of the tiny squash in olive oil with garlic, puree them with about 4oz homeade broth, 1/2 an avocado and 1oz vegan arugula pesto (bought at the co-op and frozen in 1oz cubes–but you could make some…it had walnuts in it…) and …omg yum! This makes one serving soup, so double or triple as needed.

Later in the week I also roasted some sliced thickly with red onion and asparagus (olive oil and sea salt, of course)…350 degrees for 20-30 minutes? also very tasty.

In both cases I left the peel alone, it was tender and delicious.

Kelsey (Nourishing Noshes) July 16, 2010

Angela, your pictures are gorgeous! I don’t know if anyone has already asked this but have you ever thought of selling them? I’m sure people would love to have a little piece of “Oh She Glows” love!

Autumn @ Good Eats Girl July 16, 2010

Your pics are beautiful! Your wall is going to look great when you get them hung up!

I have no idea what kind of squash that is!

Melissa July 16, 2010

Love all your photos!! I really love the asymmetrical collage and will be doing something similar in our house with wedding and life pictures! That chickpea burger looks so yummy:)
PS those little squash are called patty pans! cute name hey?
I grill them with other veggies and they are fantastic!

Alexis @ Mission: Ambition July 16, 2010

LOVE the food picture collage idea!!! That’s gonna look awesome!

Ana July 16, 2010

I love the food pictures, they sure will be awesome on that wall!! And I agree with Eric, I like them better without the frame, clean and pretty that way! Truly love the idea of those pics, and the tip of tracing the size of the pics on paper to test on the wall, genius!
About the patty pan squashes, you can stuff and bake them, they are delicious, taste just like zucchini and yellow (summer) squashes!
You can take a look at this post in my blog to have an idea of how they look stuffed, I make it super simple by sauteeing the insides (which I scoop with a melon baller or small spoon) with olive oil, onions, garlic and tomatoes, season with salt, pepper and fresh herbs (I like parsley, basil and orerano for this). Then I fill the squash cavities and top with bread crumbs and parmesan cheese (the vegan parmesan cheese you make would be great here!), drizzle with olive oil and bake until the bread crumbs are golden brown and delicious. They are really yummy made this way!!
Here is my post about these babies: http://kitchenspace.blogspot.com/2007/06/stuffed-patty-pan-squash-week-was.html
Hope you like my idea! I love your blog Angela!!
Ana

Kara @ MyWellnest July 16, 2010

You should sell your photography!!!!

It looks like pattypan squash, which I’ve also seen in white before too.

kaila July 16, 2010

that yellow squash you have is called patty pan squash and taste just like regular yellow summer squash! cut in fourths, drizzle with olive oil, and roast for an awesome veggie side!

Crazy Charm July 16, 2010

I’ve been told you can also steam patty pan squash. I haven’t tried it though. You’ve inspired me to do some crafting, too!

Sarah July 16, 2010

Those carrots crack me up :) I can’t to see what Eric wants to do with them!

Mandiee July 16, 2010

I actually just bought some of those squash at the farmer’s market (they’re called pattypan, I believe). I think they would be lovely for roasting whole or cut in half (depending on their size) because they will keep their moisture. You could also stuff them like this: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/07/patty-pan-squash-stuffed-with-cajun.html

Have a lovely day!
xox

P.S. I love the picture idea! It will look so beautiful how ever you arrange them.

Jenn July 16, 2010

OMG, patty pan squash! We call them sunburst squash, and they are my favorite. They hold up really well in curries and other dishes (unlike yellow summer squash, which tends to disintegrate or disappear in dishes). Enjoy them–they are lovely!

Tracy July 16, 2010

I love those little patty pan squash roasted with oil, S & P, then dipped in ketchup!

Katie July 16, 2010

It looks like you’ve gotten plenty of answers already, but I’ll throw my two cents in anyway. :) The squash are pattypan squash (or as my husband likes to call them, “UFO squashes”). I tend to just lop off the very top of the stem end then quarter and throw in a stir-fry. But they can really be used interchangeably with other summer squash in casseroles or salads or whatnot. Enjoy!

Also, I really like the dancing carrots! If you could isolate them in a picture, I think it would make a great addition to your wall collage!

Amelia July 16, 2010

Just adding to the above responses….they are called pattypan squash or scalloped squash. They taste just like yellow squash/ zucchini and you can use them the same way. Although they are fun to hollow out and stuff. Do you have any green ones or just yellow? Crazy idea, but you could do a zucchini spiced overnight oats with a spiced banana soft serve? Kind of like carrot cake oats, but with the pattypan shredded in instead of carrots. Yum!

Gypsy July 16, 2010

Hi Angela,
I love this online decorating magazine:
Good luck! – looking forward to seeing the finished project :)

Also – totally off subject but I’ve been wondering if you take vitamins. I go on and off my vitamin regime. Last week I took them religiously and had horrible stomach aches all week –
Maybe we don’t need them with all the veggies and fruit we eat? Just curious to know your thoughts :)

meghan July 16, 2010

Patty pan squash are THE best steamed, then mixed with butter (or earth balance) and chopped basil, S+P. You don’t need to peel them, just cut the stems off. Enjoy!

Anne July 16, 2010

I like roasting the pattypan with cinnamon, pecans and dates, though that’s better for cooler day!

Michal July 16, 2010

…. That sounds amazing… I once made a butternut squash bake with cinnamon but it never seemed to get cooked! Maybe I was too impatient. I always think of cinnamon when I see butternut squash now, though. Do you add any liquid?

Anne July 17, 2010

Yeah, a little water would help it steam and not scorch on the pan.

Shayna July 16, 2010

I love how everybody knew the squash name! We call them “those little squashes” in my house and I steam or roast them, pour on a little olive oil lovin’ and then add a dash of Spike. So. Delicious.

Alanna @ Blood, Sweat, and Cupcakes July 16, 2010

I have to say i’m with Eric on the frameless look!

Michal July 16, 2010

I don’t know if this helps at all, but I think something I’d look for in posing the pictures is some kind of color scheme thread. Doesn’t have to be the same color – just something that leads your eye from one to the next, ie the peas’ green drawing from some green in the picture closest to it (or not! You could have the eye go in a different order! But I think that might be confusing).

Maddie July 16, 2010

Hmmm, the frames kind of overwhelm the photos. I also think those photos are going to look really busy and cluttered. They’d be better on a larger wall in an office for your business or a cafe or deli. :o)

Jennifer July 16, 2010

Your photos are amazing!! Have you thought about selling them at the Farmers Market? I think everyone would LOVE them!!

p.s. i disagree with some of the frame comments. I think they complement the photos beautifully! and grouping them is a really nice look!

Laura (youngDCliving) July 16, 2010

Yep! Mini yellow squash, they’re really good cut in half and put on the grill with a little EVOO. Those carrots are hilarious and quite scary at the same time, haha. :)

Lauren @ Health on the Run July 16, 2010

Your photography is amazing!! Every one of those pictures looks beautiful. Will you sell me some for my walls!? ;)

And I love those carrots! Funniest (and creepiest) carrots I’ve seen!

Carolyn July 16, 2010

All those veggies look delicious! It’s hard for me to get my swims in, also. My pool is a good 20 min. from be and onjly if I go late at night to avoid traffic. Can’t go before work ’cause I’ll hit traffic and it’s the oppsite direction.

jodie July 16, 2010

Hi, Here is a suggestion. When I am going to hang pictures up I cut paper out to the same size as the pictures then stick them up with tape until I find the way i like them organized. Then you can put the nail directly through the paper and you don’t have to do any fancy measuring for the right placement for the nail holder hanger thingy. When you get the pictures up just rip the paper out from behind!

I hope that helps

Sherry @ Young House Love July 16, 2010

Woot! Thanks for the shout out! We love your photos and think the idea of an asymmetrical arrangement. They usually look best when the frames have something in common (ex: all the frames are the same color/material or all the art is black & white or punchy & colorful, etc). So in your case since all the art is vibrant and food related you could definitely get away with varying the types of frames that you use… OR you could further tie things together by going all frameless, all wood, all metal, all white, etc).

In short: you can’t really go wrong with such dynamic and lovely photos! And the paper template trick is a great way to save your walls from tons of “oops” holes while you play with the arrangement. Good luck!

xo,
s (& j)

Pamela July 16, 2010

Those veggies look delicious. Your blog has really inspired me to get in the kitchen again to make not only my own meals, but my own eco-friendly beauty products.

Cynthia (It All Changes) July 16, 2010

I totally did the trace the frame and try the formations out. Just make sure you label the traces of what the pictures are so that you like the color formation to. I did this with our wedding pictures this winter so it finally felt like home instead of someone elses home.

Page 2 of 3«123»