Mix ‘n Match

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on July 16, 2010

Happy Friday!

As promised last night, here is a table shot of some pictures…

IMG_2682

We have no idea how to organize these…!

We played Tetris with them and shifted them all around.

IMG_2673

Eric thought this might look nice like so…

IMG_2680

on this wall…

IMG_2687

Many of you suggested that we do an asymmetrical collage and referred us to Young House Love:

collagebefore final-third-bedroom-after

We like the one on the right the most. Would it work on a wall with no furniture?

Another reader said we could trace the frames on paper and then test them on the wall to see how we want to organize them. I LOVE that idea!

Eric also thinks he wants to switch the black frames for the frameless ones (the Glo Bar below is in a ‘frameless’) as he thinks they are cleaner looking on the wall. I don’t care either way, but if he wants to I don’t mind!

IMG_2689

This morning I had a green monster! I needed to use up some of our parsley and beet greens so I threw a bunch in…

In the GM: 1 cup almond milk, 2 cups beet greens, 1 handful fresh parsley, 1 frozen banana, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 1 scoop Amazing Grass Wheatgrass powder.

IMG_2742

The beet greens were pretty good! And by pretty good, I mean that I couldn’t taste them.  :biggrin:

The parsley was really fun. I used to not like fresh parsley, but I find as I eat it more I get used to the taste. I am becoming quite a herb lover thanks to the CSA and Farmer’s markets! I can’t wait to experiment more with herbs.

And because I am all kinds of obsessed, I had an In A Jiffy Curry Chickpea burger

IMG_2754

Sunflower seeds in a veggie burger make the burger. I don’t think I will ever make veggie burgers without them again! So much crunch.

These were awesome for breakfast straight from the fridge!

The flower wanted some…

IMG_2751

Now it’s time to show you our weekly CSA!

We danced a jig…

IMG_2766

LOL! I just don’t know if I can eat those carrots.

IMG_2765

IMG_2768

Garlic is the new garlic scape!

IMG_2769

Spinach and Romaine…

IMG_2770 IMG_2773

Too cute for words.

IMG_2777

IMG_2778

IMG_2782

Now here is where you come in…

I have never had these before…

IMG_2760

Some type of mini yellow squash?

I have no idea what to do with them, but I know you will pull through. I’m thinking this is going to be epic.

IMG_2759

Eric is off work today so we are heading out in a bit for a bike + run. We realized that the Belwood Try-a-tri that we wanted to sign up for is this weekend. You know you are too busy when you forget your own race date! We are clearly not ready (swimming wise), so I think we are going to either push back our tri to the Milton one in September or do a Duathlon (bike + run), depending on how much time we have to train this summer. Now that we are both working 6+ days a week, it has been very hard to put in enough pool time given the odd hours of the lap swims. Training should be FUN and if it becomes stressful it is time to re-evaluate your goals and adjust accordingly.

Oh yes, and Farmer’s market prep is in full swing!!! Pictures to follow.  :biggrin:

Happy Friday!!!

tanya July 16, 2010 at 8:57 am

That up close pea photo is great!~

Sarah July 16, 2010 at 8:59 am

It’s patty pan squash! I find it’s tougher than zucchini or the other yellow squash, but it’s good sliced and grilled or steamed with some fresh herbies! Or you could hollow it out and stuff it like you do with your peppers.

Shelly July 16, 2010 at 9:04 am

Okay then it is what I’m thinking it is. The ones at my farmer’s market are white, but shaped the same- and they call them patty pan too. So then you have to peel it before you eat it, right?

Jacquie July 16, 2010 at 9:30 am

You don’t have to peel it if you don’t want to. The skin is very thin like zucchini or yellow squash that you can eat it just fine after a little wash :)

Rae July 16, 2010 at 3:34 pm

I cook it just like regular squash and it always comes out great. My favorite way is to slice or cube it with peppers and cherry tomatoes and bake it in the oven. Yum Yum!

Jessica @ How Sweet July 16, 2010 at 8:59 am

The pictures are so great!
I could never answer the question about the squash. I try to FORGET what veggies look like.

Jess *forever addicting* July 16, 2010 at 8:59 am

Happy Friday! TGIF

Those are funny looking carrots! :P Great shots! Glad to hear farmers market prep is in full swing! I cannot wait to drop by and get-me-some GLO BARS! See you tomorrow =)

Rhea (Greek Feaster) July 16, 2010 at 8:59 am

Oh, those carrots!
When I was growing up, we always had a garden. One year, my dad pulled up two carrots that were completely intertwined! Twas very romantic. We still have the picture.

Shelly July 16, 2010 at 9:03 am

I like the frame less ones too! I think the black frames detract from the pictures a bit.

As for that squash, I get something similar from the farmer’s market that is white instead of yellow- but it has the same shape. If they are related, my advice would be that you have to peel off the skin (With a potato peeler or knife) and then I like to cut it into chunks and sautee it in a little olive oil. I think squash goes really well with the green leafy’s- yellow summer squash with spinach, and white scalloped squash with Kale, for example. I’d keep the seasonings pretty simple- garlic, onion, and hot sauce is what I usually go for with squash.

Autumn Tao July 16, 2010 at 9:03 am

Those squash are called patty-pan squash. They are amazing and are grown in abundance at at organic stand near me in Jersey. I saute/roast them as I would regular squash: EVOO, salt and pepper. They are a great shape for BBQing too, just slice in half (through the sides), marinate, and grill. I don’t have any exotic recipes to share… I actually had a flop with a recipe which added basil and walnuts to the squash (from Vegetarian Times I think)… not a winner!

Have an amazing Friday and another successful day at the Farmer’s Market tomorrow.
Cheers!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans July 16, 2010 at 9:03 am

It’s patty pan squash! They’re great roasted!

Laura July 16, 2010 at 9:05 am

Remember the veggie enchiladas you made a while back from the Fat Free Vegan blog? (those have become a staple in our house, by the way!) Those are the patty pan squash she used in the original recipe! Maybe you could give those another go.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2010 at 10:16 am

awesome!!!

Lauren July 16, 2010 at 9:05 am

one of my favorite things to do with patty pan squash is stuff it with basil and a mellow/mild cheese – or sometimes raisins instead of basil. just treat it like any other summer squash and i’m sure whatever you come up with will be great. bon appetit!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) July 16, 2010 at 9:07 am

I love how Eric is so into the photo project! I like the frameless better too!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans July 16, 2010 at 9:12 am

Your pictures look amazing!

Oh and the comment about the carrots…lmao!!

Rosey Rebecca July 16, 2010 at 9:13 am

Love the pea pod pic. You should frame that one, too! Those carrots are hilarious.

I know you run a lot and I’m in serious need of some advice. I wrote about my running problems in this post: http://roseyrebecca.com/2010/07/15/running-dilemma/

Would love if you could offer me some advice!

JenATX July 16, 2010 at 11:31 am

if by hilarious, you mean the carrots are scary then i agree! for some reason they look like they’ll get up and run at me…

Katherine July 16, 2010 at 9:13 am

I just have to let you know that I tried VOO with the pb banana softserve..
And it is AMAZING. Generally I just put a banana in overnight w/ the oats and then top with pb&j. But something about the bananas being whipped up adds soooo much volume.
Its so filling and fabulous!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2010 at 10:17 am

Glad you are a happy VOO fan!

Eunice July 16, 2010 at 9:14 am

Ahh! Those carrots are really creepy!

Mel July 16, 2010 at 9:14 am

I’m not sure if this has been suggested, but could you try sticking the pictures on the wall with blue tack (is it called something different over there?!) in different positions until you find one you are happy with?

I think they would look good fitted together to make a big square of pictures, with maybe 1 – 2 inches in between.

I quite like the frames mixed in with frameless, sorry Eric.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2010 at 10:17 am

hehe me too…Im sure we will keep some

Lauren M. July 16, 2010 at 9:15 am

Yep. Definitely patty pan squash. Stuff them. They’re so cute when they’re stuffed.

I have a funny story about those carrots. At the farmer’s market near my home, there is a vendor that was selling carrots that looked just like that. She said that normally vendors will sell those carrots at a discounted price because they are the ugly ducklings, but the MGM Grand hotel in Las Vegas bought them out of all two-legged carrots for DOUBLE their price and then included them on their buffet menu, calling them “Showgirl Carrots.” Isn’t that just the best thing you’ve ever heard?!?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2010 at 10:17 am

haha showgirls!!!! that is amazing!

Kathryn July 16, 2010 at 9:30 am

I LOVE patty pan squash. They also come in a light green color. I have some at home too! I like to steam them and put a little salt and pepper – maybe some earth balance if I’m feeling crazy.

Also those photos are BEAUTIFUL!

Camille July 16, 2010 at 9:31 am

Can you have a giveaway with your photos!? They are just so beautiful! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2010 at 10:18 am

aww thanks…something to think about!

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana July 16, 2010 at 9:31 am

Your hubby did excellent manly construction work with those photos. Kudos to him ;)

rachel July 16, 2010 at 9:32 am

beautiful produce. funny carrots :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) July 16, 2010 at 9:32 am

oh my gosh those baby squash are TOO adorable! i just blanch mine and saute them in a little olive oil with garlic, onions, and other veggies. YUM :)

Sarah for Real July 16, 2010 at 9:34 am

Those purple potatoes are gawwwgous! I love the mix of frames that you’ve got going on. It helps with the collage feel I think. I vote for not switching to all frameless.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 16, 2010 at 9:34 am

I’ve always wondered what those yellow things are too! Glad I know now! I think they really should include a little ‘what’s what’ in your CSA bundle each week! :)
I think the asymmetrical collage is a really neat idea. Can’t wait to see how it turns out!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 16, 2010 at 9:40 am

Stuff those gourds. They’ll be awesome!

Allie July 16, 2010 at 9:40 am

I just had cinnamon-VOO with soft serve banana this morning. Amazing! I’d had each of those separately, but didn’t realize what pairing them could do for my taste buds! Wow, thanks.

Those look like scallop squash, also known as patty pan; we just picked some up at our farmers’ market. We sliced them into thin rounds (1/4″) & lined them in the bottom of a prepared baking dish, drizzled with melted Earth Balance, followed by chopped, fresh basil & sea salt…(continued this pattern of layering.) Baked, covered, for 30 minutes at 350*F. Simple, fresh & SO good. You don’t HAVE to peel most squash if it’s organic/pesticide-free–usually it will become tender with cooking, but not everyone enjoys the texture–I usually just slice off any rough spots or warts. You can also stuff patty pan….yum! Enjoy!

Cyclist Kate July 16, 2010 at 9:43 am

As has been answerer a few times already, those are pattypans…I treat them just like zucchinis (in fact, I treat all summer squash the same :)). I like to chop them up (I never peel summer squash, btw), saute with some onion and garlic, toss in some white cooking wine and a litttle veggie broth, then toss it all with cooked pasta and some fresh basil. Last night, I sauteed a couple of pattypans with half an onion and about 1/2 c. of fresh corn cut off the cob. Then I tossed in some black beans and some canned enchilada sauce (you could use salsa if it’s more available) and rolled this filling up in tortillas. Really, summer squash is such a versatile vegetable, and it has such a mild flavor that I don’t hesitate to add it to anything…you could even make zucchini bread! Or grill it and use it to top pizza! Yum!

Brittany July 16, 2010 at 9:44 am

Gorgeous photos Angela! I really like the asymmetrical collage look. I have an empty wall in my house which I have been meaning to fill with pictures, and the asymmetrical collage was the way I was going to go. Can’t wait to see when they are all hung up!

Lizzie July 16, 2010 at 9:47 am

Cute carrots! :)

On an entirely unrelated note – THANK YOU!!! After the consistent ravings about the benefits of a Camebak, I decided to invest in one last weekend. Yesterday I took it for a test on my long run and seriously don’t know why I didn’t get one two summers ago. They are great! And you were right – no chafing, or bouncing (some sloshing noise, but figured that was relaxing :)), plus it makes me feel stronger (even if I am at snail’s pace by mile 8 :) ) Water stayed cold for the first hour and wasn’t even that lukewarm for the last 1/2 an hour. I’m looking forward to taking it on more runs.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2010 at 10:19 am

So glad you like it!!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 16, 2010 at 9:49 am

The carrot on the right looks like a chubby man with no arms and a wart on his side. Ok, maybe I’m getting too creative here!

Meredith July 16, 2010 at 9:49 am

I got those in my CSA kit this week too and was waiting for you to post your goodies so I would know what those little beauties were called! I also got something else but I have no idea what it is! If I can’t find it on google, I may be taking a picture and sending it to you for some help! ;)

Exercise and Eat July 16, 2010 at 9:51 am

Good luck on the design front!

Jenna July 16, 2010 at 9:52 am

I’ve had the mini squash before…..yummy!!! I roasted them in the oven (keep them whole) with a little EVOO and garlic seasoning. mmmmmm I’m sure they would be good sliced and made into a stir-fry, or just lightly steamed.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman July 16, 2010 at 9:53 am

I think the asymmetrical layout would definitely work on an empty wall. What Ive done is get some blank paper–like parchment or newspaper or brown bag-type paper and trace the frames then cut it out. Then I can tape it up to the wall and play around like that (without having to erase pencil on the wall). It helps big-time when you’re indecisive.

Ilana July 16, 2010 at 9:54 am

Look at all that beautiful produce! And your photos. I love decorating. I personally prefer black frames – especially on a light wall like you have, I think it’s so striking. Your photography is brilliant. When are you gonna write an Oh She Glows cookbook!?!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg July 16, 2010 at 9:59 am

So beautiful!!! I love the layout on the right!

kelly July 16, 2010 at 10:07 am

LOL! I laughed out loud at your carrot comment. Too funny and cute :)

I love anything Young House Love and agree that the asymmetrical arrangement would look nice! Just don’t think about it too much.. Non-perfect is probably better! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2010 at 10:19 am

I agree!

Alicia @culinarybliss July 16, 2010 at 10:08 am

You don’t have to peel them! We love them roasted whole or sliced thickly and grilled!
Did you buy the larger glass straw? I’m going to order today and wondered if you have the big or small one.
Have a great day!

Nicole July 16, 2010 at 10:08 am

What? No Green Monster picture?

All the pictures look beautiful though. I have to say that I love the frames, but since it is your house and not mine, I guess I can let you do what YOU want. ;)

Haha- when I saw those little squash I got so excited. I used to eat them ALL THE TIME when I lived at home- but I haven’t had them for years, and I forgot about them. They are so cute, and so good! We would just sautee them with onions. Yummm.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2010 at 10:20 am

There is a GM pic hiding on the table :) See it?

Run Sarah July 16, 2010 at 10:11 am

I love your food photo collage! I may attempt the same thing in my kitchen if hubby agrees. I’ve seen those mini squash before and was curious to try them – I’ll have to see what you come up with!

Ava July 16, 2010 at 10:15 am

Why treat glorious patty pan’s like plain old zucchini? Stuffing is definitely the way to go. Hollow them out as best you can and saute the hollowed out filling down with a little onion, a clove of garlic and add it to a grain of your choice and some spices fill up the squash and pop em in the oven until they’re nice and soft. My two go to fillings are quinoa, black bean, corn salad (+Mexican spices), and short grain brown rice & peas cooked risotto style topped with fresh basil & balsamic. MMM.

Krystina July 16, 2010 at 10:19 am

LOL those carrots are too funny!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2010 at 10:20 am

Thanks everyone for your help!

Megan (Running Foodie) July 16, 2010 at 10:20 am

Ang, I got some of those cute little squash in my box last week. Last night I made a yummy soup with them and a handful of gyspy peppers. Recipe is on my blog. I know it’s warm out, but I think it would be a really yummy cold soup too – planning to try it cold for lunch today. Gorgeous pictures!

Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15) July 16, 2010 at 10:24 am

Collages are GREAT, especially asymmetrical ones. Just remember that if there’s no furniture, you need a lot of colorful pictures, or else they’ll disappear into the wall and look bland.

Lol, those carrots look capable of world domination. I’d keep an eye on them.

Wei-Wei July 16, 2010 at 10:24 am

I think the frameless photos would work great! I don’t know what that squash is but I’ve seen it around. I like how it looks like a top :D

Wei-Wei

Mary @ what's cookin' with mary July 16, 2010 at 10:30 am

I’m sure I’m pretty late to the game and you already know exactly what you’re going to do with your squash… ;)

Summer squash no ? I would chop ’em up and roast them in the oven… cook on the BBQ… or in a stir fry.

I really like what you’re doing with your photography shots… I think you’ve inspired me! We’ve got nothing up on our walls in the guest room and I think it would be so much fun to have my own photog up on the walls!

Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 16, 2010 at 10:33 am

I love your framed photographs, they are truly beautiful and will be a great decoration on any wall! I like the frameless ones since they do look clean, but framed looks more homey and rustic… I wouldn’t know which to pick! :)

My grandma used to grow those squashes… I don’t remember what they actually are though, or what they taste like. :( I was too young. I hope you can get some fun ideas on what to do with ’em!

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe July 16, 2010 at 10:42 am

I think your picture collage looks great so far! Jon and I did one like that in our kitchen in the last place we lived…we used food pictures from our time traveling in SE Asia. loved it! Also, we have some of the clip (frameless) frames as well. I think they look really clean and modern. You could maybe even mix them in with regular frames. I love eclectic styled design.

That is patty pan squash! I got some from my Farmer’s Market last week, and thought they were so cute! I used them in a stir fry this week and also just sliced raw. So good…just like regular squash!

[email protected] July 16, 2010 at 10:49 am

Love your pictures! I might copy your idea :-) Still jealous of your CSA!

Mary July 16, 2010 at 10:54 am

Yay! I got some of the same little tiny squash at my farmers market last weekend. This is what I did with them: sautee two of the tiny squash in olive oil with garlic, puree them with about 4oz homeade broth, 1/2 an avocado and 1oz vegan arugula pesto (bought at the co-op and frozen in 1oz cubes–but you could make some…it had walnuts in it…) and …omg yum! This makes one serving soup, so double or triple as needed.

Later in the week I also roasted some sliced thickly with red onion and asparagus (olive oil and sea salt, of course)…350 degrees for 20-30 minutes? also very tasty.

In both cases I left the peel alone, it was tender and delicious.

Kelsey (Nourishing Noshes) July 16, 2010 at 11:00 am

Angela, your pictures are gorgeous! I don’t know if anyone has already asked this but have you ever thought of selling them? I’m sure people would love to have a little piece of “Oh She Glows” love!

Autumn @ Good Eats Girl July 16, 2010 at 11:02 am

Your pics are beautiful! Your wall is going to look great when you get them hung up!

I have no idea what kind of squash that is!

Melissa July 16, 2010 at 11:08 am

Love all your photos!! I really love the asymmetrical collage and will be doing something similar in our house with wedding and life pictures! That chickpea burger looks so yummy:)
PS those little squash are called patty pans! cute name hey?
I grill them with other veggies and they are fantastic!

Alexis @ Mission: Ambition July 16, 2010 at 11:11 am

LOVE the food picture collage idea!!! That’s gonna look awesome!

Ana July 16, 2010 at 11:11 am

I love the food pictures, they sure will be awesome on that wall!! And I agree with Eric, I like them better without the frame, clean and pretty that way! Truly love the idea of those pics, and the tip of tracing the size of the pics on paper to test on the wall, genius!
About the patty pan squashes, you can stuff and bake them, they are delicious, taste just like zucchini and yellow (summer) squashes!
You can take a look at this post in my blog to have an idea of how they look stuffed, I make it super simple by sauteeing the insides (which I scoop with a melon baller or small spoon) with olive oil, onions, garlic and tomatoes, season with salt, pepper and fresh herbs (I like parsley, basil and orerano for this). Then I fill the squash cavities and top with bread crumbs and parmesan cheese (the vegan parmesan cheese you make would be great here!), drizzle with olive oil and bake until the bread crumbs are golden brown and delicious. They are really yummy made this way!!
Here is my post about these babies: http://kitchenspace.blogspot.com/2007/06/stuffed-patty-pan-squash-week-was.html
Hope you like my idea! I love your blog Angela!!
Ana

Kara @ MyWellnest July 16, 2010 at 11:15 am

You should sell your photography!!!!

It looks like pattypan squash, which I’ve also seen in white before too.

kaila July 16, 2010 at 11:16 am

that yellow squash you have is called patty pan squash and taste just like regular yellow summer squash! cut in fourths, drizzle with olive oil, and roast for an awesome veggie side!

Crazy Charm July 16, 2010 at 11:17 am

I’ve been told you can also steam patty pan squash. I haven’t tried it though. You’ve inspired me to do some crafting, too!

Sarah July 16, 2010 at 11:20 am

Those carrots crack me up :) I can’t to see what Eric wants to do with them!

Mandiee July 16, 2010 at 11:23 am

I actually just bought some of those squash at the farmer’s market (they’re called pattypan, I believe). I think they would be lovely for roasting whole or cut in half (depending on their size) because they will keep their moisture. You could also stuff them like this: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/07/patty-pan-squash-stuffed-with-cajun.html

Have a lovely day!
xox

P.S. I love the picture idea! It will look so beautiful how ever you arrange them.

Jenn July 16, 2010 at 11:26 am

OMG, patty pan squash! We call them sunburst squash, and they are my favorite. They hold up really well in curries and other dishes (unlike yellow summer squash, which tends to disintegrate or disappear in dishes). Enjoy them–they are lovely!

Tracy July 16, 2010 at 11:32 am

I love those little patty pan squash roasted with oil, S & P, then dipped in ketchup!

Katie July 16, 2010 at 11:34 am

It looks like you’ve gotten plenty of answers already, but I’ll throw my two cents in anyway. :) The squash are pattypan squash (or as my husband likes to call them, “UFO squashes”). I tend to just lop off the very top of the stem end then quarter and throw in a stir-fry. But they can really be used interchangeably with other summer squash in casseroles or salads or whatnot. Enjoy!

Also, I really like the dancing carrots! If you could isolate them in a picture, I think it would make a great addition to your wall collage!

Amelia July 16, 2010 at 11:47 am

Just adding to the above responses….they are called pattypan squash or scalloped squash. They taste just like yellow squash/ zucchini and you can use them the same way. Although they are fun to hollow out and stuff. Do you have any green ones or just yellow? Crazy idea, but you could do a zucchini spiced overnight oats with a spiced banana soft serve? Kind of like carrot cake oats, but with the pattypan shredded in instead of carrots. Yum!

Gypsy July 16, 2010 at 11:52 am

Hi Angela,
I love this online decorating magazine:
Good luck! – looking forward to seeing the finished project :)

Also – totally off subject but I’ve been wondering if you take vitamins. I go on and off my vitamin regime. Last week I took them religiously and had horrible stomach aches all week –
Maybe we don’t need them with all the veggies and fruit we eat? Just curious to know your thoughts :)

meghan July 16, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Patty pan squash are THE best steamed, then mixed with butter (or earth balance) and chopped basil, S+P. You don’t need to peel them, just cut the stems off. Enjoy!

Anne July 16, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I like roasting the pattypan with cinnamon, pecans and dates, though that’s better for cooler day!

Michal July 16, 2010 at 12:13 pm

…. That sounds amazing… I once made a butternut squash bake with cinnamon but it never seemed to get cooked! Maybe I was too impatient. I always think of cinnamon when I see butternut squash now, though. Do you add any liquid?

Anne July 17, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Yeah, a little water would help it steam and not scorch on the pan.

Shayna July 16, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I love how everybody knew the squash name! We call them “those little squashes” in my house and I steam or roast them, pour on a little olive oil lovin’ and then add a dash of Spike. So. Delicious.

Alanna @ Blood, Sweat, and Cupcakes July 16, 2010 at 12:10 pm

I have to say i’m with Eric on the frameless look!

Michal July 16, 2010 at 12:12 pm

I don’t know if this helps at all, but I think something I’d look for in posing the pictures is some kind of color scheme thread. Doesn’t have to be the same color – just something that leads your eye from one to the next, ie the peas’ green drawing from some green in the picture closest to it (or not! You could have the eye go in a different order! But I think that might be confusing).

Maddie July 16, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Hmmm, the frames kind of overwhelm the photos. I also think those photos are going to look really busy and cluttered. They’d be better on a larger wall in an office for your business or a cafe or deli. :o)

Jennifer July 16, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Your photos are amazing!! Have you thought about selling them at the Farmers Market? I think everyone would LOVE them!!

p.s. i disagree with some of the frame comments. I think they complement the photos beautifully! and grouping them is a really nice look!

Laura (youngDCliving) July 16, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Yep! Mini yellow squash, they’re really good cut in half and put on the grill with a little EVOO. Those carrots are hilarious and quite scary at the same time, haha. :)

Lauren @ Health on the Run July 16, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Your photography is amazing!! Every one of those pictures looks beautiful. Will you sell me some for my walls!? ;)

And I love those carrots! Funniest (and creepiest) carrots I’ve seen!

Carolyn July 16, 2010 at 12:26 pm

All those veggies look delicious! It’s hard for me to get my swims in, also. My pool is a good 20 min. from be and onjly if I go late at night to avoid traffic. Can’t go before work ’cause I’ll hit traffic and it’s the oppsite direction.

jodie July 16, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Hi, Here is a suggestion. When I am going to hang pictures up I cut paper out to the same size as the pictures then stick them up with tape until I find the way i like them organized. Then you can put the nail directly through the paper and you don’t have to do any fancy measuring for the right placement for the nail holder hanger thingy. When you get the pictures up just rip the paper out from behind!

I hope that helps

Sherry @ Young House Love July 16, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Woot! Thanks for the shout out! We love your photos and think the idea of an asymmetrical arrangement. They usually look best when the frames have something in common (ex: all the frames are the same color/material or all the art is black & white or punchy & colorful, etc). So in your case since all the art is vibrant and food related you could definitely get away with varying the types of frames that you use… OR you could further tie things together by going all frameless, all wood, all metal, all white, etc).

In short: you can’t really go wrong with such dynamic and lovely photos! And the paper template trick is a great way to save your walls from tons of “oops” holes while you play with the arrangement. Good luck!

xo,
s (& j)

Pamela July 16, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Those veggies look delicious. Your blog has really inspired me to get in the kitchen again to make not only my own meals, but my own eco-friendly beauty products.

Cynthia (It All Changes) July 16, 2010 at 1:15 pm

I totally did the trace the frame and try the formations out. Just make sure you label the traces of what the pictures are so that you like the color formation to. I did this with our wedding pictures this winter so it finally felt like home instead of someone elses home.

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble July 16, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I like the variety of frames you have. I really like the thick dark frames with the contrast on the frameless and then thinner frames with matting. I think you should make a collage with the frames you have.

Michelle July 16, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Your pictures are beautiful! I really think that you should sell them, we’d buy, I promise!

Katie July 16, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I eat patty pan squash all the time – I just slice them into cute little circles and grill them with salt and pepper. Sometimes I dip them in mustard, or just eat them plain. They are my favorite squash by far!

Emily @ For Sweets Sake July 16, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I agree with selling the pictures! They’re such great pictures! I’m super jealous of your amazing photography skills! haha :)

Becca July 16, 2010 at 2:00 pm

My mom always cooks zucchini and squash just sliced in semi circles, with butter and dill, sauteed. It is so good for the summer, and I bet it would work with these little yellow ones too!

Elli @ 16 and Losing It July 16, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Your pictures are going to look so amazing! I’m jealous of your photography skills!

All those veggies look so fresh and awesome! Those carrots are too cute!

Leighanne July 16, 2010 at 2:45 pm

I was watching “Fresh with Anna Olsen” today and she was making a dish with Patty Pan Squash (a white bean salad stuffed in the squash). Thought it was appropriate to share it with you as it is your “secret” ingredient today ;)

Jessica @ Rawtumn July 16, 2010 at 2:48 pm

I agree with Eric on the frameless ones. They do give an overall cleaner look and I think meld better with the gorgeoussss wood ones you have there, love those! I have an asymmetrical collage of my own photography on my wall as well but it acts as border near the ceiling as I have limited wall space right now. I love the paper trace idea though, there’s limitless possibilities so it would be great to get a feel of how it will look on the wall before you start creating holes.

jodi July 16, 2010 at 2:58 pm

mmm i would cut those squash up with the potato and garlic roast them in the oven with a lil salt and pepper, if too hot inside, perhaps giving them a nice grill on the bbq with some e.v.o.o !! mmmmm this is making me hungry!

Michelle @ Life, With Relish July 16, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Your pictures look amazing! I think the asymetrical style will look great with the brightness and variety you have. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

Danielle July 16, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Those carrots seriously made me laugh out loud!

bitt July 16, 2010 at 3:57 pm

i love your veggie pics.

i have heard they usually make those funky carrots into baby carrots. much better to eat them fresh not bagged.

Lori July 16, 2010 at 4:17 pm

A day without a green monster (smoothie) is a day without… well… um, a good smoothie! I seriously feel weird without one. Parsley is one of my favorite greens to use in a smoothie- seriously, try big bunch of parsley with pear! Soooooooooooo good. Beet greens are pretty tasty too. ;)
Don’t you love your CSA box! I know I do!

Fanta July 16, 2010 at 4:48 pm

I LOVE Patty Pans! I bbq mine with onions and margarine… but I’m sure you can use an olive oil instead. They are heaven, taste just like zuchini. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do, they’re fantastic for presentation. :)

Sammy July 16, 2010 at 5:10 pm

heeeh. Those carrots are really adorable. You should take a picture of it with a little hat on and hang it next to your cute giraffe picture. (-:

Little Aspects July 16, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Yellow squash! We used to call them “spaceships” when I was a kid! They are beautiful simply cut into chunks (don’t peel them!!) and sauted in a little olive oil with salt and pepper. They roast well too, or you can put them on skewers and BBQ them (or skip the skewers and BBQ them whole).

Rowie July 16, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Check out this post on my blog, i just got some of those same little squash from our farmers market and used them with dinner. They were SO tender and flavorful! Not to mention totally cute!

Rowie July 16, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Oops! I left you the wrong link in that last reply! Sorry! Here’s the right one.

Amber K July 18, 2010 at 4:35 pm

The frameless is beautiful!

beetred July 20, 2010 at 9:37 pm

I love photo frame collages! I’ve always wanted to do that in my kitchen, but narrowing down pictures is so much work I’ve never bit the bullet. Yours are beautiful!