Mix ‘n Match

Happy Friday!

As promised last night, here is a table shot of some pictures…

IMG 2682 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

We have no idea how to organize these…!

We played Tetris with them and shifted them all around.

IMG 2673 thumb1   Mix ‘n Match

Eric thought this might look nice like so…

IMG 2680 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

on this wall…

IMG 2687 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

Many of you suggested that we do an asymmetrical collage and referred us to Young House Love:

collagebefore thumb   Mix ‘n Match finalthirdbedroomafter thumb   Mix ‘n Match

We like the one on the right the most. Would it work on a wall with no furniture?

Another reader said we could trace the frames on paper and then test them on the wall to see how we want to organize them. I LOVE that idea!

Eric also thinks he wants to switch the black frames for the frameless ones (the Glo Bar below is in a ‘frameless’) as he thinks they are cleaner looking on the wall. I don’t care either way, but if he wants to I don’t mind!

IMG 2689 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

This morning I had a green monster! I needed to use up some of our parsley and beet greens so I threw a bunch in…

In the GM: 1 cup almond milk, 2 cups beet greens, 1 handful fresh parsley, 1 frozen banana, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 1 scoop Amazing Grass Wheatgrass powder.

IMG 2742 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

The beet greens were pretty good! And by pretty good, I mean that I couldn’t taste them.  :biggrin:

The parsley was really fun. I used to not like fresh parsley, but I find as I eat it more I get used to the taste. I am becoming quite a herb lover thanks to the CSA and Farmer’s markets! I can’t wait to experiment more with herbs.

And because I am all kinds of obsessed, I had an In A Jiffy Curry Chickpea burger

IMG 2754 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

Sunflower seeds in a veggie burger make the burger. I don’t think I will ever make veggie burgers without them again! So much crunch.

These were awesome for breakfast straight from the fridge!

The flower wanted some…

IMG 2751 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

Now it’s time to show you our weekly CSA!

We danced a jig…

IMG 2766 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

LOL! I just don’t know if I can eat those carrots.

IMG 2765 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

IMG 2768 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

Garlic is the new garlic scape!

IMG 2769 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

Spinach and Romaine…

IMG 2770 thumb   Mix ‘n Match IMG 2773 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

Too cute for words.

IMG 2777 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

IMG 2778 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

IMG 2782 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

Now here is where you come in…

I have never had these before…

IMG 2760 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

Some type of mini yellow squash?

I have no idea what to do with them, but I know you will pull through. I’m thinking this is going to be epic.

IMG 2759 thumb   Mix ‘n Match

Eric is off work today so we are heading out in a bit for a bike + run. We realized that the Belwood Try-a-tri that we wanted to sign up for is this weekend. You know you are too busy when you forget your own race date! We are clearly not ready (swimming wise), so I think we are going to either push back our tri to the Milton one in September or do a Duathlon (bike + run), depending on how much time we have to train this summer. Now that we are both working 6+ days a week, it has been very hard to put in enough pool time given the odd hours of the lap swims. Training should be FUN and if it becomes stressful it is time to re-evaluate your goals and adjust accordingly.

Oh yes, and Farmer’s market prep is in full swing!!! Pictures to follow.  :biggrin:

Happy Friday!!!

tanya July 16, 2010

That up close pea photo is great!~

Sarah July 16, 2010

It’s patty pan squash! I find it’s tougher than zucchini or the other yellow squash, but it’s good sliced and grilled or steamed with some fresh herbies! Or you could hollow it out and stuff it like you do with your peppers.

Shelly July 16, 2010

Okay then it is what I’m thinking it is. The ones at my farmer’s market are white, but shaped the same- and they call them patty pan too. So then you have to peel it before you eat it, right?

Jacquie July 16, 2010

You don’t have to peel it if you don’t want to. The skin is very thin like zucchini or yellow squash that you can eat it just fine after a little wash :)

Rae July 16, 2010

I cook it just like regular squash and it always comes out great. My favorite way is to slice or cube it with peppers and cherry tomatoes and bake it in the oven. Yum Yum!

Jessica @ How Sweet July 16, 2010

The pictures are so great!
I could never answer the question about the squash. I try to FORGET what veggies look like.

Jess *forever addicting* July 16, 2010

Happy Friday! TGIF

Those are funny looking carrots! :P Great shots! Glad to hear farmers market prep is in full swing! I cannot wait to drop by and get-me-some GLO BARS! See you tomorrow =)

Rhea (Greek Feaster) July 16, 2010

Oh, those carrots!
When I was growing up, we always had a garden. One year, my dad pulled up two carrots that were completely intertwined! Twas very romantic. We still have the picture.

Shelly July 16, 2010

I like the frame less ones too! I think the black frames detract from the pictures a bit.

As for that squash, I get something similar from the farmer’s market that is white instead of yellow- but it has the same shape. If they are related, my advice would be that you have to peel off the skin (With a potato peeler or knife) and then I like to cut it into chunks and sautee it in a little olive oil. I think squash goes really well with the green leafy’s- yellow summer squash with spinach, and white scalloped squash with Kale, for example. I’d keep the seasonings pretty simple- garlic, onion, and hot sauce is what I usually go for with squash.

Autumn Tao July 16, 2010

Those squash are called patty-pan squash. They are amazing and are grown in abundance at at organic stand near me in Jersey. I saute/roast them as I would regular squash: EVOO, salt and pepper. They are a great shape for BBQing too, just slice in half (through the sides), marinate, and grill. I don’t have any exotic recipes to share… I actually had a flop with a recipe which added basil and walnuts to the squash (from Vegetarian Times I think)… not a winner!

Have an amazing Friday and another successful day at the Farmer’s Market tomorrow.
Cheers!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans July 16, 2010

It’s patty pan squash! They’re great roasted!

Laura July 16, 2010

Remember the veggie enchiladas you made a while back from the Fat Free Vegan blog? (those have become a staple in our house, by the way!) Those are the patty pan squash she used in the original recipe! Maybe you could give those another go.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2010

awesome!!!

Lauren July 16, 2010

one of my favorite things to do with patty pan squash is stuff it with basil and a mellow/mild cheese – or sometimes raisins instead of basil. just treat it like any other summer squash and i’m sure whatever you come up with will be great. bon appetit!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) July 16, 2010

I love how Eric is so into the photo project! I like the frameless better too!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans July 16, 2010

Your pictures look amazing!

Oh and the comment about the carrots…lmao!!

Rosey Rebecca July 16, 2010

Love the pea pod pic. You should frame that one, too! Those carrots are hilarious.

I know you run a lot and I’m in serious need of some advice. I wrote about my running problems in this post: http://roseyrebecca.com/2010/07/15/running-dilemma/

Would love if you could offer me some advice!

JenATX July 16, 2010

if by hilarious, you mean the carrots are scary then i agree! for some reason they look like they’ll get up and run at me…

Katherine July 16, 2010

I just have to let you know that I tried VOO with the pb banana softserve..
And it is AMAZING. Generally I just put a banana in overnight w/ the oats and then top with pb&j. But something about the bananas being whipped up adds soooo much volume.
Its so filling and fabulous!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2010

Glad you are a happy VOO fan!

Eunice July 16, 2010

Ahh! Those carrots are really creepy!

Mel July 16, 2010

I’m not sure if this has been suggested, but could you try sticking the pictures on the wall with blue tack (is it called something different over there?!) in different positions until you find one you are happy with?

I think they would look good fitted together to make a big square of pictures, with maybe 1 – 2 inches in between.

I quite like the frames mixed in with frameless, sorry Eric.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2010

hehe me too…Im sure we will keep some

Lauren M. July 16, 2010

Yep. Definitely patty pan squash. Stuff them. They’re so cute when they’re stuffed.

I have a funny story about those carrots. At the farmer’s market near my home, there is a vendor that was selling carrots that looked just like that. She said that normally vendors will sell those carrots at a discounted price because they are the ugly ducklings, but the MGM Grand hotel in Las Vegas bought them out of all two-legged carrots for DOUBLE their price and then included them on their buffet menu, calling them “Showgirl Carrots.” Isn’t that just the best thing you’ve ever heard?!?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2010

haha showgirls!!!! that is amazing!

Kathryn July 16, 2010

I LOVE patty pan squash. They also come in a light green color. I have some at home too! I like to steam them and put a little salt and pepper – maybe some earth balance if I’m feeling crazy.

Also those photos are BEAUTIFUL!

Camille July 16, 2010

Can you have a giveaway with your photos!? They are just so beautiful! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2010

aww thanks…something to think about!

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana July 16, 2010

Your hubby did excellent manly construction work with those photos. Kudos to him ;)

rachel July 16, 2010

beautiful produce. funny carrots :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) July 16, 2010

oh my gosh those baby squash are TOO adorable! i just blanch mine and saute them in a little olive oil with garlic, onions, and other veggies. YUM :)

Sarah for Real July 16, 2010

Those purple potatoes are gawwwgous! I love the mix of frames that you’ve got going on. It helps with the collage feel I think. I vote for not switching to all frameless.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 16, 2010

I’ve always wondered what those yellow things are too! Glad I know now! I think they really should include a little ‘what’s what’ in your CSA bundle each week! :)
I think the asymmetrical collage is a really neat idea. Can’t wait to see how it turns out!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 16, 2010

Stuff those gourds. They’ll be awesome!

Allie July 16, 2010

I just had cinnamon-VOO with soft serve banana this morning. Amazing! I’d had each of those separately, but didn’t realize what pairing them could do for my taste buds! Wow, thanks.

Those look like scallop squash, also known as patty pan; we just picked some up at our farmers’ market. We sliced them into thin rounds (1/4″) & lined them in the bottom of a prepared baking dish, drizzled with melted Earth Balance, followed by chopped, fresh basil & sea salt…(continued this pattern of layering.) Baked, covered, for 30 minutes at 350*F. Simple, fresh & SO good. You don’t HAVE to peel most squash if it’s organic/pesticide-free–usually it will become tender with cooking, but not everyone enjoys the texture–I usually just slice off any rough spots or warts. You can also stuff patty pan….yum! Enjoy!

Cyclist Kate July 16, 2010

As has been answerer a few times already, those are pattypans…I treat them just like zucchinis (in fact, I treat all summer squash the same :)). I like to chop them up (I never peel summer squash, btw), saute with some onion and garlic, toss in some white cooking wine and a litttle veggie broth, then toss it all with cooked pasta and some fresh basil. Last night, I sauteed a couple of pattypans with half an onion and about 1/2 c. of fresh corn cut off the cob. Then I tossed in some black beans and some canned enchilada sauce (you could use salsa if it’s more available) and rolled this filling up in tortillas. Really, summer squash is such a versatile vegetable, and it has such a mild flavor that I don’t hesitate to add it to anything…you could even make zucchini bread! Or grill it and use it to top pizza! Yum!

Brittany July 16, 2010

Gorgeous photos Angela! I really like the asymmetrical collage look. I have an empty wall in my house which I have been meaning to fill with pictures, and the asymmetrical collage was the way I was going to go. Can’t wait to see when they are all hung up!

Lizzie July 16, 2010

Cute carrots! :)

On an entirely unrelated note – THANK YOU!!! After the consistent ravings about the benefits of a Camebak, I decided to invest in one last weekend. Yesterday I took it for a test on my long run and seriously don’t know why I didn’t get one two summers ago. They are great! And you were right – no chafing, or bouncing (some sloshing noise, but figured that was relaxing :)), plus it makes me feel stronger (even if I am at snail’s pace by mile 8 :) ) Water stayed cold for the first hour and wasn’t even that lukewarm for the last 1/2 an hour. I’m looking forward to taking it on more runs.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2010

So glad you like it!!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 16, 2010

The carrot on the right looks like a chubby man with no arms and a wart on his side. Ok, maybe I’m getting too creative here!

Meredith July 16, 2010

I got those in my CSA kit this week too and was waiting for you to post your goodies so I would know what those little beauties were called! I also got something else but I have no idea what it is! If I can’t find it on google, I may be taking a picture and sending it to you for some help! ;)

Exercise and Eat July 16, 2010

Good luck on the design front!

Jenna July 16, 2010

I’ve had the mini squash before…..yummy!!! I roasted them in the oven (keep them whole) with a little EVOO and garlic seasoning. mmmmmm I’m sure they would be good sliced and made into a stir-fry, or just lightly steamed.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman July 16, 2010

I think the asymmetrical layout would definitely work on an empty wall. What Ive done is get some blank paper–like parchment or newspaper or brown bag-type paper and trace the frames then cut it out. Then I can tape it up to the wall and play around like that (without having to erase pencil on the wall). It helps big-time when you’re indecisive.

Ilana July 16, 2010

Look at all that beautiful produce! And your photos. I love decorating. I personally prefer black frames – especially on a light wall like you have, I think it’s so striking. Your photography is brilliant. When are you gonna write an Oh She Glows cookbook!?!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg July 16, 2010

So beautiful!!! I love the layout on the right!

kelly July 16, 2010

LOL! I laughed out loud at your carrot comment. Too funny and cute :)

I love anything Young House Love and agree that the asymmetrical arrangement would look nice! Just don’t think about it too much.. Non-perfect is probably better! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2010

I agree!

Alicia @culinarybliss July 16, 2010

You don’t have to peel them! We love them roasted whole or sliced thickly and grilled!
Did you buy the larger glass straw? I’m going to order today and wondered if you have the big or small one.
Have a great day!

Nicole July 16, 2010

What? No Green Monster picture?

All the pictures look beautiful though. I have to say that I love the frames, but since it is your house and not mine, I guess I can let you do what YOU want. ;)

Haha- when I saw those little squash I got so excited. I used to eat them ALL THE TIME when I lived at home- but I haven’t had them for years, and I forgot about them. They are so cute, and so good! We would just sautee them with onions. Yummm.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2010

There is a GM pic hiding on the table :) See it?

Run Sarah July 16, 2010

I love your food photo collage! I may attempt the same thing in my kitchen if hubby agrees. I’ve seen those mini squash before and was curious to try them – I’ll have to see what you come up with!

Page 1 of 3123»