Running Anthem

Wake up in the morning feeling like P Diddy,

Put my glasses on, Im out the door – I’m gonna run this city,

Before I leave, brush my teeth, fill my Camelbak,

Cause when I leave for this run, I’ll be sprinting back.

I put some moleskin on my toes, toes,

I laid out all my workout clothes,

Got my pepper spray and my cell phone,

My shuffle playing my favorite cds

Trying not to get too stiiiiiiicky.

Don’t stop.

That my friends, is how I woke myself up for the first half mile of the run early this morning!  :biggrin: Sometimes I make weird rhymes to music to entertain myself.

All day yesterday I was missing my early morning run. I took a rest day yesterday and I was really missing those morning endorphins. It’s funny how quickly the body starts to crave endorphins at a certain time! I definitely felt more sluggish yesterday morning than when I got in a good workout before work. It’s a Catch-22 really; the body craves endorphins but you know you should rest your body. Sometimes taking a rest day is as difficult as convincing myself to workout on other days. It just depends on the day!

This morning I leaped out of bed and threw on my workout clothes. I put my workout clothes next to my bed so I could get ready quickly before ‘thinking too much’.

“I have to exercise in the morning before my brain figures out what I’m doing.” ~Marsha Doble

One of my favourite workout quotes!

For years, I used to workout first thing in the morning, literally within 15 minutes of getting up. I would be half asleep during the first 20 minutes of the workout, but then the endorphins would wake me up and it was all downhill from there.

I filled up my Camelbak and popped a couple medjool dates in my mouth for some energy.

IMG 1800 thumb   Running Anthem

We overslept until 6:45am so by the time I got out there it was 7am and HOT!!! It was already 25C when I left.

The run:

• Distance: 5.01 miles
  • Time: 42:29 mins
  • Avg pace: 8:28

Mile Splits:

• Mile 1: 8:50
  • Mile 2: 8:25
  • Mile 3: 8:35
  • Mile 4: 8:21
  • Mile 5: 8:11

It was a great run and I had sweat pouring out of me upon my return. I came home and had an icy shower and then sprinted to make breakfast. A Green Monster was on the menu today.

IMG 1798 thumb   Running Anthem

Post-Run Green Monster

Ingredients:

• 2 cups of purple kale
  • 1.25 cups almond milk
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate Amazing Meal Powder
  • 1 large frozen banana

IMG 1793 thumb   Running Anthem

Yum!

On the side I had a trial of a new GF + Raw Glo Bar with some peanut butter on top.

IMG 1795 thumb   Running Anthem

Perfect post-run breakfast!

IMG 1796 thumb   Running Anthem

I will have to water these guys later…!

IMG 1799 thumb   Running Anthem

Today’s question: Do you do anything to entertain yourself during workouts? Anything odd/strange/funny or tricks of distraction?

Shipping out my orders now and then market prep begins today. I am officially half way through the work week…just gotta make it til Saturday night. Stay cool!

Jessica @ How Sweet July 8, 2010

Hahaha that made me giggle. I love Ke$ha music to work out to! This may not be that weird, but I used to rehearse my classes that I taught while on the elliptical. Sometimes I’d catch myself doing dance moves…lol.

Bethany @ More Fruit Please July 8, 2010

I think I’m going to borrow that tune to sing to myself while running! I end up focusing on my music a lot while running. I’m always so surprised by the lyrics of some of my favorite songs!

Bella (Stilettos on the Streetcar) July 8, 2010

It depends on what kind of a run I’m having. Some days all it takes is a few mantras and I’m good to go. Other days I put a favourite musical on my ipod – one that I’ve seen – and try to relive the experience. It takes my mind off of running.

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin July 8, 2010

Mmm that green monster looks unreal for a day like today!

Rhea @ Greek Feaster July 8, 2010

I do funny breathing patterns to distract myself! Breathe in (step, step, step), breathe out (step, step, step). Steady as she goes!
I have also been known to air-drum. I am really, really cool.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2010

hahah I dont think I have ever heard of anyone air drumming before!!!

Rhea @ Greek Feaster July 8, 2010

It’s kind of like this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy52yueBX_s, but sweatier :D

april nguyen July 11, 2010

that video was awesome! i don’t know whether it was the gorilla, or the phil collins, or the fact it was cadbury…or if there was something in the air tonight…hahaha.

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers July 8, 2010

i absolutely LOVE that quote! i often feel like that – by the time i’m actually awake, my workout is DONE! love morning workouts.

Therese July 8, 2010

LOVE IT! Ha! I’m usually half asleep during the first half of my runs as well, I don’t know how I get through them some days!

I slept in this morning and missed my run but I’m cutting myself some slack because of the humidity and the 14k trail run I have on tap for Saturday(!).

I air guitar when I run…I tend to put a lot of classic rock on my shuffle and find myself air guitaring in the middle of runs. I can only imagine what people passing by me are thinking! Ha ha ha But it’s a FAR cry from the days where I used to stop running when people would pass by me because I was too embarrassed to be seen running in public so I’m fine with it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2010

I used to be really anxious about ppl seeing me too

Courtney @ Three Months July 8, 2010

Instead of listening to music (although I do sometimes), I enjoy listening to NPR when I workout – I love feeling educated, keeping up-to-date on current events and learning about other people’s perspectives. It’s a great distraction!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2010

Can I get NPR on a shuffle?

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs July 8, 2010

I always have my iPod for entertainment, but I also decide wwhat to have for breakfast, dinner and lunch :P that can keep me entertained for ages!!

Jen July 8, 2010

i plan my meals for the day as well! not to be obsessive or regemented but to give myself something to look forward to :)
i ALSO insert words into the song to pump myself up… Example:
Song says “everytime we touch, i feel magic!”
And i sing in my head ‘everytime we run, i feel magic!’ kind of strange but it really helps!

Love that!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman July 8, 2010

Ha ha. Love the song. I usually work out any issue’s I’m having in my writing while working out. I’ll try to figure out how to start the article or where things are going to go. Or I’ll brainstorm stories. I have the best ideas after working out. Too bad I don’t do it in the morning—I could go to work with my creative juices flowing.

Jenn (GH) July 8, 2010

Since I’m a homeschooling mom my workouts are one of the only times I get to enjoy being alone. It also one of the times I feel the most creative. I’ll write stories or posts in my head. Sometimes I’ll try to put them on my voice recorder or if my workout journal is nearby I have pages designated for “non-workout notes”. Many times, I just zone out, listen to the music and enjoy being in the moment.

Nicole July 8, 2010

Goodness, your rap had me laughing out loud!! I love it.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Heather (Heather's Dish) July 8, 2010

oh my gosh, this will only showcase what a total nerd i am, but i do math in my head when i run. it’s distracting because i’m so bad at it! it’s usually just how many minutes and miles and stuff like that, but still…totally weird ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2010

I do math too…I try to figure out mile splits and stuff. it is very distracting!

Lauren M. July 8, 2010

Oh Man! I LOVE that quote! It’s so true!!! I woke up 8 minutes ago and now I MUST be out the door before my brain also figures out what I’m doing. Have a great day!

Meghan@travelwinedine July 8, 2010

I sing in my head, and sometimes out loud. On long runs for marathon training, I talk to myself, often out loud. I will never forget on a 22 miler this past winter I was running in downtown Boston saying, “good girl, Meghan, you can do this” after running up Beacon Hill. People totally heard me, but instead of being embarassed it kind of fueled me to keep going!

Renae H July 8, 2010

I give myself a mental pep talk when I’m starting to feel tired. The ‘ol “you can do it!” or “just a little bit further!”

I have a question for you. What do you use to calculate your run time (splits) and distance?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2010

A Garmin 305…it was worth every penny and one of the best fitness tools I have ever purchased! Got it at Costco.

Mrs. Muffins July 8, 2010

That’s so funny :) I was just telling my husband the other day that it’s good when I wake up early to run because it’s like getting a workout in before I even wake up. I definitely think music makes a difference, I always feel like I’m in a music video or something :p

Have a beautiful day!
xx

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 8, 2010

That’s such a fun song!! During my workouts, I listen to hip hop/rap music. It makes me feel badA lol ;)

Halley July 8, 2010

Love each and every one of your posts!!!

One of distraction I use while running, particularly when there are a lot of people on the trail, is counting bicyclists without helmets. It serves no purpose, but keeping the tally going in my head “4-with, 6-without” keeps my mind busy and looking forward for the next daring cyclist.

Interesting about counting!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) July 8, 2010

I am addicted to dates lately…especially dipped in almond/sunflower seed butter. Best anytime snack. Your rap is toooo cute :)

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life July 8, 2010

Hahaha, looks like you may have another future career on your hand! Baker/Blogger/Runner/Rapper – sounds like a good combo to me! ;)

JL Goes Vegan July 8, 2010

Love your motivation! I play the “I can do anything for xx mins/hours” game. If I I’m on a long run, targeting 2 hrs or so, I make a mental list of the things I can do in 2 hours. Keeps my brain occupied and suddenly time has elapsed and I have only an hour left. And then I start thinking of all the things I can do in an hour. And so on ;)

Lizzie July 8, 2010

Three years ago (partly at the behest of my beautiful mother) I weaned myself off my iPod and went naked (insert gasp here)! But it’s actually not been a bad ride so far. I live in a city so there’s plenty to keep me occupied visually (gotta love those early Sat/Sun AM runs and seeing people doing the ‘walk of shame’ from someone else’s apartment dressed in the previous evenings clothes :)) and I definitely pay more attention to my time. One of the downsides is making myself more approachable to people look for directions – must be something about a runner. Maybe we know where everything is? :)
That breakfast looks SO good!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 8, 2010

Do you seriously run with pepper spray?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2010

Yup its actually called ‘Dog spray’ in Canada since Pepper spray is illegal. I bought some after a scary run a while back.

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana July 8, 2010

Nothin’ like some revamped Ke$ha to start your day…you need an S in your name to turn into a dollar sign ;)

I make my to-do lists in my head, but if they get too long, I start getting antsy and feeling like I need to cut the workout short!

How about Oh $he Glow$ ?? heh

Shanna July 8, 2010

Totally laughed out loud ;)

And when you feature you hubby, you can figure out how to make the ‘c’ a cents sign!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2010

Bahahahaha!!!!! Not going to lie I had to read that 3 times but I finally got it. Long day. Very funny!

Camille July 8, 2010

Oh no! Not that song! Kesha makes me die a little inside :(

Tracey July 8, 2010

Music is huge when I’m running. I can’t make it through a run without it. I try to just zone out and listen to some great tunes on my ipod so I don’t concentrate on the running/sweating/negative thoughts of talking myself out of the run. :)

Molly July 8, 2010

At my gym there is a huge window looking out into the parking lot, which happens to be right by a Taco Bell! When I’m on the treadmill I stare at the cars going through the drive through and it motivates me to work out longer and harder :]

Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 8, 2010

Your flowers look beautiful. :)

Lauren July 8, 2010

I stopped running with music, but it does make it hard to distract myself. I try to plan out what I’m gonna pack for lunch or have for breakfast.

P.S. I’m so jealous of your mile times!! My last mile is usually my slowest and I don’t know how to fix this!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2010

This was me all last summer…I couldnt fix it. I dont know what really changed this year except I told myself that I DECIDED to make my last mile the fastest and then once I commit to it, I feel really motivated to run hard at the end. I think starting off slower than you normally would is key too. goodluck!

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston July 8, 2010

Music is a big motivator for me during my runs so I love to have my ipod shuffle with me. Recently though, Ive been able to get lost with my thoughts and kind of make of stories in my head of my lifes future. It’s fun :)

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day July 8, 2010

Love the little song! Very cute and creative.

I try to zone out (which I can do easily on a treadmill without slowing down) and think about being someplace I really love (the beach) or I do some wedding planning in my head. Sometimes just a few minutes of zoning out helps me get over the rut and then I take off and focus on my run.

highonhealthy July 8, 2010

Haha, I love your version of the song! Definitely more catchy than the original. ;)

If I’m running with music then I’ll usually distract myself by pretending I’m on awesome adventures, partying it up in a club, or that I’m accomplishing some daring mission. My music just gets me all pumped up and my mind goes wild! When I’m jogging without music, I’ll just let my thoughts wander to more peaceful places.

Chelsey July 8, 2010

I’m pretty sure that rap is the funniest thing I’ve heard all morning – and I’m pretty funny so that’s saying a lot :) – jk

I think I have a side stich from laughing.

haha this made me laugh! We are even now ;p

Kathryn July 8, 2010

I LOVE your anthem!

I’m still so new to running that I’m only up to about a mile and a half so I don’t have to distract myself too much. About the last quarter mile I do have to start reminding myself that running is so mental! I feel like the little engine that could telling myself “You are strong” “You are capable” and I have to keep myself from making deals with myself (that sounds nutso!) but I always want to say “ok you can stop now, but you have to unload the dishwasher when you get home” or something like that. I never take the deal…but I always seem to offer them up!

Dry mouth is one of the hardest things for me about running – does your camel back weigh much or bounce around? I wear one snowboarding, but I’ve always thought running would be too bouncy?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2010

I have the small 1.5 litre and I think it is perfect. It doesnt bounce although I do occasionally hear the water swishing around. I would suggest it to ANYONE…I wear it even for 2 milers! I didnt realize how much water my body ‘needed’ until it was readily accessible.

Ellen July 8, 2010

To get rid of the swishing sound turn your camelbak upside down and suck the air bubble out through the hose. Once there’s no air in the camelbak it won’t slosh!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2010

ill have to remember to try this….although it really doesnt bother me too much!

Wei-Wei July 8, 2010

Your rhyme totally had me laughing – I love it! I always make up random songs, it’s a great way to pass time :D You’re so cute ;)

Wei-Wei

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 8, 2010

Hehe love your anthem! I totally know what you mean about missing the morning endorphins – if I miss my early morning workout (with the exception of my rest day), I actually feel even more tired later on during the day.

Do distract myself when I work out, I load up my ipod with new songs and create spin workouts in my head for my classes. The problem is remembering them later on when I have a pen and paper to write them down!

Run Sarah July 8, 2010

Haha that totally cracked me up – totally applicable to my AM run this morning too, and I think I played that song on my Shuffle at some point! I find I crave endorphins as well lately and find it hard to take a rest day, too. I’ve compromised by doing light exercise days instead to still get a boost.

thehealthyapron July 8, 2010

Those flowers brighten my day! I love…….reading magazines on the elliptical for an easy workout but if I push up the intensity I’m usually in a class so it’s just me and the instructor!

Victoria July 8, 2010

Angela! You rock. Because of your post about missing your morning workouts, I made a point of getting out for a run this morning (Like you my pre-work workouts have become less and less frequent) and I feel AWESOME! Thanks so much!

I sometimes do times tables in my head, I also jump over every 5th square on the side walk. Oh, and I’ll play silly games like Thinking of a girls name for every letter of the alphabet, then a boys name, then a city etc, takes ages! :o)

whoho!! Good job!