Running Anthem

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on July 8, 2010

Wake up in the morning feeling like P Diddy,

Put my glasses on, Im out the door – I’m gonna run this city,

Before I leave, brush my teeth, fill my Camelbak,

Cause when I leave for this run, I’ll be sprinting back.

I put some moleskin on my toes, toes,

I laid out all my workout clothes,

Got my pepper spray and my cell phone,

My shuffle playing my favorite cds

Trying not to get too stiiiiiiicky.

Don’t stop.

That my friends, is how I woke myself up for the first half mile of the run early this morning!  :biggrin: Sometimes I make weird rhymes to music to entertain myself.

All day yesterday I was missing my early morning run. I took a rest day yesterday and I was really missing those morning endorphins. It’s funny how quickly the body starts to crave endorphins at a certain time! I definitely felt more sluggish yesterday morning than when I got in a good workout before work. It’s a Catch-22 really; the body craves endorphins but you know you should rest your body. Sometimes taking a rest day is as difficult as convincing myself to workout on other days. It just depends on the day!

This morning I leaped out of bed and threw on my workout clothes. I put my workout clothes next to my bed so I could get ready quickly before ‘thinking too much’.

“I have to exercise in the morning before my brain figures out what I’m doing.” ~Marsha Doble

One of my favourite workout quotes!

For years, I used to workout first thing in the morning, literally within 15 minutes of getting up. I would be half asleep during the first 20 minutes of the workout, but then the endorphins would wake me up and it was all downhill from there.

I filled up my Camelbak and popped a couple medjool dates in my mouth for some energy.

IMG_1800

We overslept until 6:45am so by the time I got out there it was 7am and HOT!!! It was already 25C when I left.

The run:

• Distance: 5.01 miles
  • Time: 42:29 mins
  • Avg pace: 8:28

Mile Splits:

• Mile 1: 8:50
  • Mile 2: 8:25
  • Mile 3: 8:35
  • Mile 4: 8:21
  • Mile 5: 8:11

It was a great run and I had sweat pouring out of me upon my return. I came home and had an icy shower and then sprinted to make breakfast. A Green Monster was on the menu today.

IMG_1798

Post-Run Green Monster

Ingredients:

• 2 cups of purple kale
  • 1.25 cups almond milk
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate Amazing Meal Powder
  • 1 large frozen banana

IMG_1793

Yum!

On the side I had a trial of a new GF + Raw Glo Bar with some peanut butter on top.

IMG_1795

Perfect post-run breakfast!

IMG_1796

I will have to water these guys later…!

IMG_1799

Today’s question: Do you do anything to entertain yourself during workouts? Anything odd/strange/funny or tricks of distraction?

Shipping out my orders now and then market prep begins today. I am officially half way through the work week…just gotta make it til Saturday night. Stay cool!

Jessica @ How Sweet July 8, 2010 at 8:59 am

Hahaha that made me giggle. I love Ke$ha music to work out to! This may not be that weird, but I used to rehearse my classes that I taught while on the elliptical. Sometimes I’d catch myself doing dance moves…lol.

Bethany @ More Fruit Please July 8, 2010 at 9:00 am

I think I’m going to borrow that tune to sing to myself while running! I end up focusing on my music a lot while running. I’m always so surprised by the lyrics of some of my favorite songs!

Bella (Stilettos on the Streetcar) July 8, 2010 at 9:01 am

It depends on what kind of a run I’m having. Some days all it takes is a few mantras and I’m good to go. Other days I put a favourite musical on my ipod – one that I’ve seen – and try to relive the experience. It takes my mind off of running.

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin July 8, 2010 at 9:01 am

Mmm that green monster looks unreal for a day like today!

Rhea @ Greek Feaster July 8, 2010 at 9:03 am

I do funny breathing patterns to distract myself! Breathe in (step, step, step), breathe out (step, step, step). Steady as she goes!
I have also been known to air-drum. I am really, really cool.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2010 at 10:51 am

hahah I dont think I have ever heard of anyone air drumming before!!!

Rhea @ Greek Feaster July 8, 2010 at 10:54 am

It’s kind of like this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy52yueBX_s, but sweatier :D

april nguyen July 11, 2010 at 2:08 am

that video was awesome! i don’t know whether it was the gorilla, or the phil collins, or the fact it was cadbury…or if there was something in the air tonight…hahaha.

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers July 8, 2010 at 9:04 am

i absolutely LOVE that quote! i often feel like that – by the time i’m actually awake, my workout is DONE! love morning workouts.

Therese July 8, 2010 at 9:04 am

LOVE IT! Ha! I’m usually half asleep during the first half of my runs as well, I don’t know how I get through them some days!

I slept in this morning and missed my run but I’m cutting myself some slack because of the humidity and the 14k trail run I have on tap for Saturday(!).

I air guitar when I run…I tend to put a lot of classic rock on my shuffle and find myself air guitaring in the middle of runs. I can only imagine what people passing by me are thinking! Ha ha ha But it’s a FAR cry from the days where I used to stop running when people would pass by me because I was too embarrassed to be seen running in public so I’m fine with it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2010 at 10:51 am

I used to be really anxious about ppl seeing me too

Courtney @ Three Months July 8, 2010 at 9:04 am

Instead of listening to music (although I do sometimes), I enjoy listening to NPR when I workout – I love feeling educated, keeping up-to-date on current events and learning about other people’s perspectives. It’s a great distraction!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2010 at 10:52 am

Can I get NPR on a shuffle?

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs July 8, 2010 at 9:07 am

I always have my iPod for entertainment, but I also decide wwhat to have for breakfast, dinner and lunch :P that can keep me entertained for ages!!

Jen July 8, 2010 at 10:19 am

i plan my meals for the day as well! not to be obsessive or regemented but to give myself something to look forward to :)
i ALSO insert words into the song to pump myself up… Example:
Song says “everytime we touch, i feel magic!”
And i sing in my head ‘everytime we run, i feel magic!’ kind of strange but it really helps!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2010 at 10:51 am

Love that!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman July 8, 2010 at 9:08 am

Ha ha. Love the song. I usually work out any issue’s I’m having in my writing while working out. I’ll try to figure out how to start the article or where things are going to go. Or I’ll brainstorm stories. I have the best ideas after working out. Too bad I don’t do it in the morning—I could go to work with my creative juices flowing.

Jenn (GH) July 8, 2010 at 9:13 am

Since I’m a homeschooling mom my workouts are one of the only times I get to enjoy being alone. It also one of the times I feel the most creative. I’ll write stories or posts in my head. Sometimes I’ll try to put them on my voice recorder or if my workout journal is nearby I have pages designated for “non-workout notes”. Many times, I just zone out, listen to the music and enjoy being in the moment.

Nicole July 8, 2010 at 9:15 am

Goodness, your rap had me laughing out loud!! I love it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2010 at 10:52 am

Glad you enjoyed it!

Heather (Heather's Dish) July 8, 2010 at 9:15 am

oh my gosh, this will only showcase what a total nerd i am, but i do math in my head when i run. it’s distracting because i’m so bad at it! it’s usually just how many minutes and miles and stuff like that, but still…totally weird ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2010 at 10:53 am

I do math too…I try to figure out mile splits and stuff. it is very distracting!

Lauren M. July 8, 2010 at 9:19 am

Oh Man! I LOVE that quote! It’s so true!!! I woke up 8 minutes ago and now I MUST be out the door before my brain also figures out what I’m doing. Have a great day!

[email protected] July 8, 2010 at 9:22 am

I sing in my head, and sometimes out loud. On long runs for marathon training, I talk to myself, often out loud. I will never forget on a 22 miler this past winter I was running in downtown Boston saying, “good girl, Meghan, you can do this” after running up Beacon Hill. People totally heard me, but instead of being embarassed it kind of fueled me to keep going!

Renae H July 8, 2010 at 9:22 am

I give myself a mental pep talk when I’m starting to feel tired. The ‘ol “you can do it!” or “just a little bit further!”

I have a question for you. What do you use to calculate your run time (splits) and distance?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2010 at 10:53 am

A Garmin 305…it was worth every penny and one of the best fitness tools I have ever purchased! Got it at Costco.

Mrs. Muffins July 8, 2010 at 9:26 am

That’s so funny :) I was just telling my husband the other day that it’s good when I wake up early to run because it’s like getting a workout in before I even wake up. I definitely think music makes a difference, I always feel like I’m in a music video or something :p

Have a beautiful day!
xx

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 8, 2010 at 9:26 am

That’s such a fun song!! During my workouts, I listen to hip hop/rap music. It makes me feel badA lol ;)

Halley July 8, 2010 at 9:30 am

Love each and every one of your posts!!!

One of distraction I use while running, particularly when there are a lot of people on the trail, is counting bicyclists without helmets. It serves no purpose, but keeping the tally going in my head “4-with, 6-without” keeps my mind busy and looking forward for the next daring cyclist.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2010 at 10:54 am

Interesting about counting!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) July 8, 2010 at 9:32 am

I am addicted to dates lately…especially dipped in almond/sunflower seed butter. Best anytime snack. Your rap is toooo cute :)

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life July 8, 2010 at 9:33 am

Hahaha, looks like you may have another future career on your hand! Baker/Blogger/Runner/Rapper – sounds like a good combo to me! ;)

JL Goes Vegan July 8, 2010 at 9:38 am

Love your motivation! I play the “I can do anything for xx mins/hours” game. If I I’m on a long run, targeting 2 hrs or so, I make a mental list of the things I can do in 2 hours. Keeps my brain occupied and suddenly time has elapsed and I have only an hour left. And then I start thinking of all the things I can do in an hour. And so on ;)

Lizzie July 8, 2010 at 9:41 am

Three years ago (partly at the behest of my beautiful mother) I weaned myself off my iPod and went naked (insert gasp here)! But it’s actually not been a bad ride so far. I live in a city so there’s plenty to keep me occupied visually (gotta love those early Sat/Sun AM runs and seeing people doing the ‘walk of shame’ from someone else’s apartment dressed in the previous evenings clothes :)) and I definitely pay more attention to my time. One of the downsides is making myself more approachable to people look for directions – must be something about a runner. Maybe we know where everything is? :)
That breakfast looks SO good!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 8, 2010 at 9:43 am

Do you seriously run with pepper spray?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2010 at 10:55 am

Yup its actually called ‘Dog spray’ in Canada since Pepper spray is illegal. I bought some after a scary run a while back.

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana July 8, 2010 at 9:45 am

Nothin’ like some revamped Ke$ha to start your day…you need an S in your name to turn into a dollar sign ;)

I make my to-do lists in my head, but if they get too long, I start getting antsy and feeling like I need to cut the workout short!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2010 at 10:55 am

How about Oh $he Glow$ ?? heh

Shanna July 8, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Totally laughed out loud ;)

And when you feature you hubby, you can figure out how to make the ‘c’ a cents sign!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Bahahahaha!!!!! Not going to lie I had to read that 3 times but I finally got it. Long day. Very funny!

Camille July 8, 2010 at 9:45 am

Oh no! Not that song! Kesha makes me die a little inside :(

Tracey July 8, 2010 at 9:50 am

Music is huge when I’m running. I can’t make it through a run without it. I try to just zone out and listen to some great tunes on my ipod so I don’t concentrate on the running/sweating/negative thoughts of talking myself out of the run. :)

Molly July 8, 2010 at 9:52 am

At my gym there is a huge window looking out into the parking lot, which happens to be right by a Taco Bell! When I’m on the treadmill I stare at the cars going through the drive through and it motivates me to work out longer and harder :]

Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 8, 2010 at 9:52 am

Your flowers look beautiful. :)

Lauren July 8, 2010 at 9:54 am

I stopped running with music, but it does make it hard to distract myself. I try to plan out what I’m gonna pack for lunch or have for breakfast.

P.S. I’m so jealous of your mile times!! My last mile is usually my slowest and I don’t know how to fix this!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2010 at 10:56 am

This was me all last summer…I couldnt fix it. I dont know what really changed this year except I told myself that I DECIDED to make my last mile the fastest and then once I commit to it, I feel really motivated to run hard at the end. I think starting off slower than you normally would is key too. goodluck!

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston July 8, 2010 at 9:56 am

Music is a big motivator for me during my runs so I love to have my ipod shuffle with me. Recently though, Ive been able to get lost with my thoughts and kind of make of stories in my head of my lifes future. It’s fun :)

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day July 8, 2010 at 10:07 am

Love the little song! Very cute and creative.

I try to zone out (which I can do easily on a treadmill without slowing down) and think about being someplace I really love (the beach) or I do some wedding planning in my head. Sometimes just a few minutes of zoning out helps me get over the rut and then I take off and focus on my run.

highonhealthy July 8, 2010 at 10:08 am

Haha, I love your version of the song! Definitely more catchy than the original. ;)

If I’m running with music then I’ll usually distract myself by pretending I’m on awesome adventures, partying it up in a club, or that I’m accomplishing some daring mission. My music just gets me all pumped up and my mind goes wild! When I’m jogging without music, I’ll just let my thoughts wander to more peaceful places.

Chelsey July 8, 2010 at 10:19 am

I’m pretty sure that rap is the funniest thing I’ve heard all morning – and I’m pretty funny so that’s saying a lot :) – jk

I think I have a side stich from laughing.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2010 at 10:57 am

haha this made me laugh! We are even now ;p

Kathryn July 8, 2010 at 10:24 am

I LOVE your anthem!

I’m still so new to running that I’m only up to about a mile and a half so I don’t have to distract myself too much. About the last quarter mile I do have to start reminding myself that running is so mental! I feel like the little engine that could telling myself “You are strong” “You are capable” and I have to keep myself from making deals with myself (that sounds nutso!) but I always want to say “ok you can stop now, but you have to unload the dishwasher when you get home” or something like that. I never take the deal…but I always seem to offer them up!

Dry mouth is one of the hardest things for me about running – does your camel back weigh much or bounce around? I wear one snowboarding, but I’ve always thought running would be too bouncy?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2010 at 10:57 am

I have the small 1.5 litre and I think it is perfect. It doesnt bounce although I do occasionally hear the water swishing around. I would suggest it to ANYONE…I wear it even for 2 milers! I didnt realize how much water my body ‘needed’ until it was readily accessible.

Ellen July 8, 2010 at 12:02 pm

To get rid of the swishing sound turn your camelbak upside down and suck the air bubble out through the hose. Once there’s no air in the camelbak it won’t slosh!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2010 at 12:08 pm

ill have to remember to try this….although it really doesnt bother me too much!

Wei-Wei July 8, 2010 at 10:32 am

Your rhyme totally had me laughing – I love it! I always make up random songs, it’s a great way to pass time :D You’re so cute ;)

Wei-Wei

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 8, 2010 at 10:33 am

Hehe love your anthem! I totally know what you mean about missing the morning endorphins – if I miss my early morning workout (with the exception of my rest day), I actually feel even more tired later on during the day.

Do distract myself when I work out, I load up my ipod with new songs and create spin workouts in my head for my classes. The problem is remembering them later on when I have a pen and paper to write them down!

Run Sarah July 8, 2010 at 10:35 am

Haha that totally cracked me up – totally applicable to my AM run this morning too, and I think I played that song on my Shuffle at some point! I find I crave endorphins as well lately and find it hard to take a rest day, too. I’ve compromised by doing light exercise days instead to still get a boost.

thehealthyapron July 8, 2010 at 10:37 am

Those flowers brighten my day! I love…….reading magazines on the elliptical for an easy workout but if I push up the intensity I’m usually in a class so it’s just me and the instructor!

Victoria July 8, 2010 at 10:42 am

Angela! You rock. Because of your post about missing your morning workouts, I made a point of getting out for a run this morning (Like you my pre-work workouts have become less and less frequent) and I feel AWESOME! Thanks so much!

I sometimes do times tables in my head, I also jump over every 5th square on the side walk. Oh, and I’ll play silly games like Thinking of a girls name for every letter of the alphabet, then a boys name, then a city etc, takes ages! :o)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2010 at 10:58 am

whoho!! Good job!

Amber K July 8, 2010 at 10:58 am

I have no idea how people get out and start working out so fast! I need to EAT first thing in the morning. I need to feed my tummy and get some energy!

I love the rewording of the song. It could have been an awesome workout hit! Get Ke$ha on the phone! lol

Beth @ DiningAndDishing July 8, 2010 at 11:04 am

I think of funny memories to keep myself entertained. Sometimes I’ll smile (or even laugh a bit) to myself. I’m sure my fellow worker-outers think I’m nuts!

Amy @ be.you.ti.fully, a.musing July 8, 2010 at 11:20 am

LOL! That was too funny!

I posted last night about what I sometimes do while on the elliptical or treadmill: pop in an old Disney Sing Along Songs tape! :D I usually just mumble along or sing along in my head, but it makes time go by much quicker and makes the workout that much more fun. Actually, any classic Disney movie does the trick for me.

Amy @ be.you.ti.fully, a.musing July 8, 2010 at 11:22 am

(Hey, my comment showed up! Guess it was just that one post, Angela!)

Rosey Rebecca July 8, 2010 at 11:36 am

Those flower pics are gorgeous! Your smoothie is sooo green and so pretty! Love how you changed the lyrics around to motivate your run!

I’m actually having an amazing grass giveaway on my blog! http://roseyrebecca.com/2010/07/07/amazing-grass-giveaway/

Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 8, 2010 at 11:39 am

Who knew you were a closet rapper!! I don’t really do anything to distract myself except listen to music – which occassionally involves me accidentally singing out loud!

Kristy July 8, 2010 at 11:41 am

OMG – That remake was EPIC! Thanks for the giggles. Sunday’s workout = Doble’s Quote! :-)

Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous July 8, 2010 at 11:45 am

I have to constantly keep myself distracted when I run. As soon as I think “oh my gahhh I’m running and I’m in pain and miserable” and I stop immediately. I must keep myself busy! I can run for a long time as long as my mind is occupied. But as soon as I snap back to reality something sets in and I feel like I can’t run anymore. It is weird!!!

I do that with music (although my i-pod is in serious need of an update. I’m so sick of my music!), counting trees, choreographing dances in my head, counting my steps up to 10 over and over again, going over my to-do list in my head, just imagining different stories and scenarious…and whatever else I can do to take my mind off being out of breath, in pain, and not laying in front of the tv watching garbage reality shows.

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans July 8, 2010 at 12:03 pm

I always think about winning the lottery when I am out running. It passes the time and makes me smile even if it is just a fantasy!

Marquesas July 8, 2010 at 12:17 pm

LOL I love making up crazy lyrics to songs in my head! I’m never quite clever enough with them to warrant sharing though! Ha! Just wanted to say I really enjoy your blog and you inspire me to keep moving! I love running and it’s great to read about someone who shares the passion!

jayme (cars&carbs) July 8, 2010 at 12:32 pm

your song made me die laughing. kesha is so good for running/dancing!

when i’m having a really tough run, i’ll put on super epic music and pretend i’m either in a music video, or going slo-mo in a running montage.
on the elliptical, i usually listen to upbeat poppy music, and i’ll sometimes pretend i’m at the bar dancing and having a good time with friends. but once i was listening to ‘sexy chick’ and i ended up actually dancing, hips and arms a’ swingin’. emmmmmbarrassing.

Jenn @ So Very Fabulous July 8, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I wish I could fit in some exercise in the morning. It’d be great to get a run in before work! Unfortunately, I already have to wake up at 5am to get to work on time, so I’d have to get up at 4am or so, which isn’t happening. It’s hard enough to get up at 5! :)

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf July 8, 2010 at 12:48 pm

I typically just listen to music or watch the TV, but if I think about it, and if I’m doing something less upper-body involved, I might read a magazine.

kaila July 8, 2010 at 12:51 pm

new favorite song! when will you be releasing your album ??? lol! that new glow bar looks terrific! please tell the flavor :) im dieing to know!!!

Jessica @ Rawtumn July 8, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Haha love your running anthem. =P Music is key for me during any workout. For morning runs I love to get my dog excited early on so that even if I’m not motivated enough to go she won’t stop bothering me until we do. She also helps keep me going at a faster pace. She can easily do 8 miles with just one or two water breaks and still want to run more. Sometimes I’m so focused on her I forget I’m running. Gotta love that! lol

[email protected] July 8, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Wow, great run! It’s hard for me to take rest days sometimes, too.

Amber July 8, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I have been caught singing out loud and dancing. When I am on a twenty mile run sometimes the only thing to do is dance!

Taylor @ Changing Habits July 8, 2010 at 1:55 pm

On a long run, I pretend that I am at the tail end of my marathon and I’m neck-n-neck for first place with Kara Goucher. I always win.

Jess July 8, 2010 at 2:28 pm

I read your anthem to my husband this morning, but I was laughing so hard I could hardly read it, I LOVE your posts, they are so motivating and make me realize I’m not the only crazy person when it comes to motivating myself to get going!!

Allison Evans July 8, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Love the lyrics! I think I’ll try that when I am up running at 4:30 am and can’t quite seem to get motivated! Check out my brand new health & beauty blog http://www.runningwithmascara.com! Definitely going to keep reading this blog!

Marathon Bound Girl aka Grace July 9, 2010 at 8:58 pm

I read your blog and love it. I’ll be visiting it quite often as well because we have something in common, Running!!!

Lisa July 8, 2010 at 3:02 pm

That is a great question! I actually love to skip, jump, run sideways and backwards, and run crazy like a kid would do! Kind of like the Friends episode where Rachel was imbarrassed to run with Feebee! lol Yep that’s me and I don’t care how crazy I look because I have so much energy and that is what my body craves and ultimately it burns a heck of a lot more calories and body fat than just simply running!

I should have someone tape me and put it on Youtube! Ahhhh the joys of running! :)

Tracey @ TropicalHappiness.com July 8, 2010 at 3:06 pm

I love your song… so cute and fun! I sometimes try to lose myself in a deep thought… and that is usually a good way to make the time pass. If I’m having a tough session on the treadmill, I picture myself running the last mile (or half mile) of a race. I speed up, concentrate, and present that I’m actually running a race. All of a sudden, I focus on finishing strong, rather than just slogging through the last few minutes of my run. Sounds silly, but it works!

Nikki July 8, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Hey Angela! You are soooo inspirational!!
On 7miler last weekend, i just repeated to myself “you are stronger than you think you are!”
And it totally worked! i ran a lot stronger than normal and finished without feeling weak.
Thanks so much!

Ashley July 8, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Hey angela! My name is Ashley and you eats are so good! I’ve tried so many of your recipes and I can’t complain about one! Keep up your healthy balance of excersise and delicious food and I read your blog everyday! You inspire me so much to try new fantastic foods <3 check me out at chewingoncherries.wordpress.com

Michelle July 8, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Ahhhh love your version of that song!

Clare July 8, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Great post. I’ve been waking up at 5:20 to run before the kids wake up and my husband goes to work. I always feel slightly melancholy leaving the house at that time but when I come back I feel AWESOME. I do have to go to bed a bit earlier to compensate but it’s totally worth it.
I also struggle with rest days too; they make me feel sluggish and cranky all day but I find that the day after a rest day I always have a fantastic workout and can go longer and faster. I guess they really are necessary.

Erin July 8, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Funny song! I’ve been using the Biggest Loser Wii game, which is entertainment all by itself. It kicks my butt, and gets me to do exercises I never would otherwise.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) July 8, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Awesome job on the morning run! I am always signing along to tunes when I head out for runs…..hehe quite embarassing really ;)

emily July 8, 2010 at 4:32 pm

I listen to the Dirty Nasty song “My Dick” (it’s offensive and hilarious, youtube it!) on pretty much constant repeat while running. Although lately I’ve been running with the husband and he likes to chat.

Kat (My Fruity Life) July 8, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I used to jog to music all the time but then my runner friend told me a scary story that a utility van pulled up right next to her and opened the door …she didn’t even hear them and took off running! I then decided i would stop using my ipod while running …and find that i really enjoy having quiet time with my thoughts :) Oh! And I wanted to tell you that I baked your coconut cherry banana bread, and it turned out pretty much amazing. We scarfed it down..so moist too! Look for it on my blog soon if you get a chance!

Michelle @ Hit the Bricks July 8, 2010 at 4:44 pm

I love the Keisha remix! I’m such a dork that I’m often doing math in my head during my runs, math that has to do with running. Like, when I need to finish by to average a certain time per mile, etc.

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA July 8, 2010 at 5:00 pm

I like listening to podcasts while I work out. Learning distracts me. I have absolutely no ability to zone.

I saw your post the other day when you said you hate chard. Have you ever tried putting it in a green monster? I’ve done that before and it works out well, just in case you get some more in your CSA. :)

Alyssa @ Bride To Be Fit July 8, 2010 at 5:01 pm

I find myself singing…. out loud. Without even realizing it, I’ll see people glancing at me and realize that I’m singing along with whatever song I’m listening to. If I had a great voice… that would be one thing… however, I don’t. Ohhh well… whatever keeps me going!

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous July 8, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Loved the Remix! I teach a hip hop class and that is my classes absolute favorite song to dance too! Whenever I am running, I think about a goal or something that is exciting coming up in my life and pretend like I am running to it. I got married about a month ago so all leading up to the big day I would pretend I was running right to my wedding! It would always make me smile!

Ed July 8, 2010 at 6:26 pm

I love your running song! I listen to music when I run, so that helps. I also try to focus on steady breathing, but sometime I wind up doing something lame…like counting as I run.

Allison @ Food For Healing July 8, 2010 at 6:29 pm

i love how you changed the lyrics to the song, its perfect! MUCH better than the original!

i sing to myself (usually in my head, so people don’t think i’m totally bonkers) but i change lyrics too, or just sing something else to the same tune. i do it all the time ha

Danielle @ Body By Nature July 8, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Amazing song!

callah July 8, 2010 at 7:40 pm

i just wanted to say i love you little song variation!!

Hannah July 8, 2010 at 8:38 pm

AHHH
I love your remix of the song more than the original :)
I love reading your blog, every day it helps give me the perseverance to stay motivated and do fitness for fun and to stay fit, not to stay skinny

Caitlin July 8, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Gaaaaah! I love it! I hate Ke$ha but I LOVE your adaptation! I had a friend during high school field hockey who would run with me (we were both goalies, so we were both in our gear) and she would do funny arms throughout the entire run, mostly different swimming arms, but there were a few funky chickens if I remember correctly. Just found your blog and I’m loving it! I just linked your evolutionary psychology posts in an e-mail to my mom and aunties.
Rock on,
Caitlin

Angela July 8, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Your peanut butter looks so tasty. I’m always interested in trying new brands. What brand do you buy?

Kelly July 9, 2010 at 4:54 am

I often think about what I’m going to wear when I’m running, especially if I have an event that is going to require that I dress up. It makes things easier when I actually have to pack or get ready for the event and somehow really distracts me when I’m running up hills. Running with friends is always fun too because the conversation distracts me, and before I know, we’re done!

Morgan @ Life After Bagels July 9, 2010 at 9:33 am

YES . . . totally love your transformed anthem!

Molly July 9, 2010 at 10:06 am

This might show how much of a nerd I am, but when I run, I often listen to musicals and its like watching a movie in my head. Turn on rent from the beginning and I’m so absorbed in the story the time flys by! Also, Les Mis is awesome during some of the inspirational songs!

Found this blog and love it!

Marathon Bound Girl aka Grace July 9, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Love your anthem, too funny, way to rap girlfriend! I had always been a loner when it came to running and trained myself in all the races I ever ran, from 5k, 10k, 15k, half marathon to marathon, so listening to music was always my anthem and made me feel at ease so I could zone out. Once I dealved into the triathlonworld, most races don’t allow music, so I had to train without so I didn’t get spoiled with it. Well, now that I am back to training for marathon, I train once a week with a group and it’s kind of cool not to have music because the run goes by so quickly, especially those long ones coming up 10-24 milers….eeek! I run alone during the week and since I run at 5am in the dark, I’ve veered away from music for safety reasons and I also run with pepper spray. I miss it though and am thinking I may get back to it, just keep it low enough that I hear around me.

Endorphins rule!!!!