Yoga As Therapy?

Good morning!

It is a beautiful start to the weekend here…I hope it is where you are too!

IMG 1197 thumb   Yoga As Therapy?

I figured I needed some spinach greens in my life again this morning…

IMG 1173 thumb   Yoga As Therapy?

I drank the green monster outdoors to wake up my body…

IMG 1177 thumb   Yoga As Therapy?

In this dazzling GM = 1 cup hemp milk, 2 small bunches of spinach, 1 tbsp maple butter, 1/2 frozen banana, 7 strawberries, 1 tbsp chia seeds. (awesome combo!!!!!)

IMG 1181 thumb   Yoga As Therapy?

Much better. What would I do without Green Monsters in my life!?

Liquid sanity.

and some flowers for you to enjoy…

IMG 1198 thumb   Yoga As Therapy?

Cheer me up buttercup…

IMG 1194 thumb   Yoga As Therapy?

IMG 1195 thumb   Yoga As Therapy?

IMG 1196 thumb   Yoga As Therapy?

Yoga As Therapy?

In last night’s How To Beat PMS post, I forgot to mention that I have been using yoga stretches to help my back pain. In particular, I love the Cobra and Camel poses for my lower back. They feel so soothing!

One of my favourite yoga websites, Yoga Journal, has a fantastic therapeutic guide for all kinds of ailments such as:

It is pretty exciting to think that certain kinds of yoga poses could help with all of that!

What’s your take on yoga used as a therapeutic tool? Have you ever tried it or targeted specific ailments with certain poses? What are your favourite poses?

We’re off to the Farmer’s Market….see you later with the recap! Have a fabulous day.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is July 3, 2010

Yoga definitely helps me too! I also find reading does – like reading something mind numbing like a trashy magazine. :)

Jocelyn July 3, 2010

I could stay in childs pose, forever :P

Naomi O July 3, 2010

I think Hot Yoga and Vinyasa flow are the most wonderful things when I’m are having a really bad day or just first thing in the morning. Trouble is getting out to do them when I would rather stay tucked away in my bed haha

Meg July 3, 2010

I’ve actually never been able to get into yoga :( I really want to! What kind do you think I should try first? I find it so hard to concentrate usually.

I’m gonna check out those links for ailments – that’s amazing!

Miranda @ MirandasJeans July 3, 2010

I have been missin yoga in my life for the last month and a half. I am anxious to get back into the grove. I am so much more relaxed and I have noticed that I did get some cramps since I’ve not been going to yoga.

Meghan@travelwinedine July 3, 2010

Yoga is totally therapy. I have used it for various running injuries, and mentally, it is such an anxiety soother. There have been definite times where I have let out a whole lotta tears in the middle of yoga practice!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 3, 2010

Yoga’s definitely therapy!! My favorite poses are the triangle ones. They’re simple and realllly stretch out your legs, hips, and sides.

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs July 3, 2010

I’ve done very little yoga in my life – but the stuff I have done has helped me after a long run (all the stretching etc) and when I was ill, it helped me mentally to unwind :) so yes, I think it is pretty theraputic!
I couldn’t live without GMs either :D

Astrid July 3, 2010

Yoga is amazing. Once you wrap your head around the idea that you aren’t huffing and puffing like you do when you run, bike, etc, you realize that your body is getting a great workout and you are getting stronger and more flexible. Plus, paying attention to your breath and incorporating breathing exercises makes you tune into your body. And a nice corpse pose at the end of any workout (after stretching and cooling down, of course) does wonders for your sanity. My favorite thin about yoga, especially Kripalu yoga, is that it embraces where you are right now and doesn’t compare you to any other ideal.
I love yoga journal’s site. Check out kripalu.org, too. They have amazing resources as well as great yoga retreats.

Heather July 3, 2010

liquid sanity is right! i think yoga is different for everyone, but the common denominator is that it teaches you to stop and just BREATHE…and that means something for everyone. i would say for me it’s helped me to gain flexibility and appreciate my body more for what it can do :)

Erin July 3, 2010

It is SUCH a gorgeous day here in DC — low humidity, sunny, not too terribly hot — I’m ready to get outside and go go go!

Yoga is something I actually haven’t tried yet but it’s on my to-do after hearing so many people rave about it. Can’t hurt to try once. ;)

Jen July 3, 2010

Yoga is such a personal practice. Everyone gets something out of it. For some, including me, it is most definitely therapy. All different kinds of therapy – put whatever word you want in front of therapy and yoga does it for me!

I practice Kripalu style yoga – the yoga of compassion. You meet yourself where you are in a non-judging way. It has changed my life, not to mention my body! It has allowed me to let go of 100+ lbs effortlessly, without “dieting”

So yes – yoga is most definitely therapy!

Jen July 3, 2010

Here is a link with more information about Kripalu yoga:

Nicole July 3, 2010

I actually have not done alot of yoga but I just signed up at a local Yoga Studio to complete a Pure Basics class which I am really excited about!

Michelle July 3, 2010

I have to ask…where do you get maple butter? I found pure maple spread at the grocery store, would that be the same thing? It just sounds so delicious!

AngelaOSG July 6, 2010

I buy it from a wholesaler but I think you can get it at Wholefooods…that is where I first saw it :)

rhea July 3, 2010

great post! i have been trying to stretch more as i increase my running (i’m just a newbie), and yoga is my favorite way to do so. i bookmarked the links :D
p.s. now i want a GM!!! curses, internet, for activating my cravings! ;)

Wei-Wei July 3, 2010

I loooooooove Child’s Pose. I could fall asleep in it… it’s so relaxing, and makes my back feel good :D I also love how you put maple butter in your GM. :D

Wei-Wei

Marina July 3, 2010

I think yoga can really be therapeutic. it always makes me feel a lot better, both physically and mentally. It’s so unbelievably relaxing!

Crystal July 3, 2010

Good luck with the market today! The weather seems to be in your favour. :)

Yoga is great. I think my favourite pose is the Hare. It stretches out my back but it relaxes me a the same time.

Jenn (GH) July 3, 2010

What a lovely and soothing post, Angela. You know I haven’t done much yoga but I can definitely see how it could be therapy. Have a great weekend.

kalli@fitandfortysomething July 3, 2010

yoga is the best for everything!

Kim July 3, 2010

Yes, yoga definitely helps me, too. I have to highly recommend Ana Brett’s Yoga Quick Fixes DVD. She IS a bit “woo woo” for some, but it WORKS. I have terrible, horrible PMS but when I do the “Positive PMS” segment on that DVD, I am golden. There are also sections for depression (which is GREAT), anxiety, addictions, sciatica, a section to improve your digestion, and more. I don’t work for them, just happy to recommend something that actually works. It’s amazing.

ChocolateCoatedRunner July 3, 2010

Love the flowers & green monster photo…keep up the good work

Gail July 3, 2010

I do yoga mainly for the stretching after I’ve ran or rode my bike. I threw my back out several years ago and I found that it would really bother me when I ran. Then I started doing yoga. At first I just did a few DVD’s (Sara Ivanhoe – I love her. I love her personality, very friendly, and Shiva Rhea). Now I just do my favorite poses, especially for my lower back like downward dog, cobra, camel, wheel, and a bunch of forward bends for my legs, and finally a twist. Oh, and I’ve been doing a head stand lately, boy does that realign my back and really makes it feel good. Unfortunately, I’m not strong in my arms so a lot of weight is on my head in that one. I want to get one of those back devices where you put your feet in a harness, and you hang upside down. I work with someone who really threw his back out and was facing surgery which he didn’t want to do. He got one of those contraptions (I’m sorry, I can’t remember the name of it), and uses that about 3 minutes 3 times a day and his back is like new. Anyway, I got off track. I do my own kind of yoga thing, and I love it. I used to meditate at the end for about 5 minutes, which did wonders for my attitude and energy throughout the day. I haven’t done it in ages, and am feeling the effects (very grumpy and moody). I need to get back on track. And I get Yoga Journal every month – I look forward to reading it.

Amber K July 3, 2010

I have used it to de-stress, but never specifically to cure any of those ailments!

Sarah July 3, 2010

I love using yoga to stretch after a tough cardio and/or strength session. I have a hard time focusing on the poses and getting my mind in yoga. I’m horrible at meditation :(

bianka (bananas for bananas July 3, 2010

OMGSH! I have literally been complaining to my bf about how much I need to start doing yoga to try to relieve some stress but I didn’t know where to start. Thank you so much! Angela to the rescue once again :)

Tracey July 3, 2010

I use yoga as therapy too. I think it definitely helps when I’m stressed or for PMS. I try to incorporate an hour yoga session one to two times a week to de-stress.

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf July 3, 2010

Mmmm. Yoga and a green monster. You’ve inspired me. That’s going on the agenda for my early afternoon…

Annie@stronghealthyfit July 3, 2010

Yoga is definitely therepeutic for me, and i’m addicted to it now! It calms my mind and I love how flexible I’m getting.
I can’t believe you put maple butter in your GM! I love it.

Cindy July 3, 2010

Yoga has been perfect for those days that I just want to relax but still want to be active. My favorite pose is upward facing dog since it helps me stretch out my back which is usually sore from sitting at a desk all day. Maybe I’ll try a few of those poses for PMS as a favor to the bf. :p

I absolutely love YogaToday.com which has free classes and a bunch of videos you can get for $3.99. I’ve only started doing yoga, though, and usually find that I’m too impatient to get through a whole class. Oops. Oooh, look, shiny!!!

AngelaOSG July 6, 2010

haha I can relate to ‘Oooh, look, shiny!!’ LOL

Lisa July 3, 2010

I recently injured myself and tried Yoga for Ailments. It helped a lot. I really felt the stretch and it was safe and gentle. It improved my injury a lot faster in my opinion.

Lis July 3, 2010

I’ve got to recommend Tara Stiles. http://www.youtubecom/user/TaraStilesYoga

She has everything from Yoga for Getting Out of Your Own Way to Chill Out Sessions for different parts of your body. When I’m not feeling like getting to a class or it’s night time I need something just relax, I go to her page. She’s very calming, a very good teacher.

Yoga is great for so many different things and it’s so good for your body, your mind.

Monique@She's Going The Distance July 3, 2010

Glad to hear you’re feeling better!! And maple syrup in smoothies sounds great! I’ll have to give that a try.

Kate July 3, 2010

I was so happy to read this post!! I’ve been practicing yoga for a year and a half, toying with different types, and have become so much happier and stronger through my practice. My PMS symptoms are nonexistent, I find more peace with myself, and I am able to handle stressful situations with ease.

If I can’t sleep I do either child’s pose or camel pose. It really helps!! Also forward bends are perfect for TOM lower back pains along with triangle pose for PMS. :) I’m so happy yoga is helping your back!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 3, 2010

I hope the weather stays nice for you. Good luck today!

Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 3, 2010

Looks like everywhere is having beautiful weather today. I am so intrigued by Green Monsters! I would love to try it but am a little bit scared, especially as my blender is not exactly state of the art! Hope the farmers market goes well.

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 3, 2010

I have been trying to do more yoga. I have been using it for stretching and for mental clarity. I could definitely use some more but this is a really good start for me.

Camilla July 3, 2010
AngelaOSG July 6, 2010

I actually don’t yuse Agave much anymore…it doesnt agree with my stomach

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 3, 2010

I’ve never used yoga to target any specific ailments, but it sure feels good as a way to stretch out sore muscles!

Camille July 3, 2010