Scary Trails

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on July 2, 2010

Happy Friday!

Now that I am working at the Farmer’s Market, Fridays always leave me with a bit of panic because I know that the next two days will be tight to fit everything in. I was a busy little bee on Canada Day preparing for the market. The weather report is finally calling for some hot and sunny weather on Saturday, so I hope it will be a good showing despite being a long weekend.

IMG_1159 IMG_1161

New flavours for sampling at the market this week will be Classic (chunky peanut butter) and Present (cranberry pumpkin spice)!

For Canada Day dinner, Eric helped me make a use-up-the-CSA-veggies stir-fry.

IMG_1133

Cute as a button.

IMG_1134

Eric is a good chopper! He has culinary talents just waiting to be cultivated.

IMG_1136

All kinds of veggies went into the skillet….zucchini, asparagus, mushrooms, green onion, garlic scapes, diced tomatoes, and seasonings.

IMG_1157

IMG_1144

Sweet ‘n Spicy Zucchini, Asparagus, and Potato Stir-fry

Ingredients:

• 1 tbsp cold-pressed sunflower oil
  • 10-15 asparagus spears, broken at the ends
  • 1 large zucchini
  • 1.5-2 cups canned diced tomatoes
  • 3 large green onions
  • 1 garlic scape
  • 2 red potatoes
  • Sea salt, to taste
  • 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • Tiny bit of Arvinda’s curry masala (just to add a pop of heat)
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 minute vegan parmesan cheeze, for garnish

Directions: Chop all veggies and throw into a skillet with 1 tbsp of oil heated on medium. In a small bowl mix the seasonings with the canned tomatoes and stir well. Pour over the veggies and mix. Cook for about 30 minutes until potatoes are tender. Serve with 3 minute vegan parmesan cheeze.

IMG_1145

I had it with some seedy + savoury Glo Doughs. The meal was fantastic! So much flavour and so energizing.

IMG_1152

Speaking of CSA’s…

IMG_1093

No mystery ingredients this week! Tomato, red potatoes, 2 spinach, 2 zucchini, mushrooms, 2 asparagus, cabbage, and a huuuuuge green onion.

IMG_1089

No garlic snakes! It looks like we might be past season now…  :ermm:

By the way, last week when I posted this green below a few of you said that you didn’t think this was fennel. Now I am not sure what it is! I could have sworn the farmer said fennel, but it doesn’t look like fennel pictures online unless it is some other variation…

I also was behaving like some sort of crazed fan so it’s possible I heard the farmer wrong in all the excitement!!

IMG_0723

IMG_0725

Any guesses?

After dinner we headed out on our bikes for a 4 mile bike ride

IMG_1722

Summer is served.

IMG_1724

Going on bike rides in the summer always reminds me of being a kid!

IMG_1723

This time Eric went ahead of me on the trail and I fell way behind. Remember the other night when I said I was super fast on the rocky trail? Well, apparently I wasn’t.  :lol:

It is a JUNGLE in there now. I won’t even tell you how many cobwebs I biked through!

IMG_1727

Eric was so far ahead of me on the trail that he went down a side trail (unbeknownst to me) and he jumped out and scared me when I biked past him. Needless to say my speed picked up after that!

Jessica @ How Sweet July 2, 2010 at 8:26 am

The veggies from your CSA just looks incredible. Sigh. I wish I liked veggies. I need them force-fed to me for a few weeks or something.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2010 at 8:32 am

I could do an intervention…maybe Food Network will pick it up…? lol

Jessica @ How Sweet July 2, 2010 at 8:35 am

Let’s do it.

Jocelyn July 2, 2010 at 8:31 am

Yummy Canada day dinner! Good luck tomorrow! I bet lots of people will be out :)

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman July 2, 2010 at 8:43 am

I also have veggie envy. I wish there were a CSA around me that let you chose the foods you got. I just know that if I left it up to them I’d get the few veggies I hate (but are grown in abundance), namely garlic and onions. Ick!

Stefanie July 2, 2010 at 8:45 am

I’m keeping my fingers crossed you get beautiful weather tomorrow. Your meals always look delish. Have a great day! :)

Clea July 2, 2010 at 8:46 am

That mystery green looks like purslane to me!

Jenny July 2, 2010 at 8:47 am

Good luck tomorrow! I’m sure you’ll sell tons of your goodies:)

Callie July 2, 2010 at 8:48 am

That bike ride sounds fun. Haha.
Good luck at the market tomorrow!

Amélie July 2, 2010 at 8:58 am

I think it looks a bit like watercress? Although fennel and watercress do not sound the same ;) Have a good day!

Jess @ Jessica is Getting Fit July 2, 2010 at 8:58 am

I hate it when my hubs hides and scares me on trails like that! Aren’t they silly! :)

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies July 2, 2010 at 8:59 am

Umm – amazing! haha Those mushrooms look awesome.

Rachael @ Mrs-Adventure July 2, 2010 at 9:04 am

Seriously that dinner looks so yummy that I am going to the Farmers Market this weekend to get all the veggies to make it!

[email protected] July 2, 2010 at 9:09 am

Love trail riding! How fun :)

Wei-Wei July 2, 2010 at 9:14 am

I looooove me a good veggie stir-fry. I love how you guys get an awesome variety of veggies every week… Jealous! :D

Wei-Wei

Lizzie July 2, 2010 at 9:14 am

Husbands!! Mine did that to me on the boardwalk in SFO – though he convinced the ‘Bush Man’ guy (long story, but google and you should get the info) to scare me . .. so he could claim he was just a third party. It wasn’t so much the scaring as the storyline he used to get me to walk past the Bush Man – he knows me too well!

I am pretty sure with the long weekend and people slowing down, plus nice weather, you should get a huge turnout at the market.

jenna July 2, 2010 at 9:17 am

mmm…your csa batch this time looks great!!

what a fun bike ride!! it looks super refreshing!

Caitlin July 2, 2010 at 9:27 am

Hi Angela,

I think what you have there in your CSA is wood sorrel, or oxalis:

Very high in oxalic acid – not sure I would want to eat a whole lot of it!

Growing up, I knew it was edible but we just considered it a pretty and bitter-tasting weed.

Theresa July 2, 2010 at 11:59 pm

Caitlin, you got it lady – that there is oxails :) I studied turfgrass in college and had to learn a lot of “weeds.” I love finding out how many of them are edible and TASTY!! Even the bitter ones I’ve found can be added for a special punch here and there.

Theresa July 3, 2010 at 12:03 am

Whoops! glad I double checked myself – that’s black medic (http://www.dereila.ca/dereilaimages/BlackMedic2A.jpg) oxalis has the more heart shaped leaves. I’m forever confusing these two. I also struggle with ground ivy vs. creeping charlie :/

Caitlin July 5, 2010 at 10:38 am

Ahh, I looked quickly and thought I saw heart-shaped leaves! I’ve never seen fenugreek before- so interesting to meet a new herb!

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf July 2, 2010 at 9:29 am

Oooh! Trail riding! I wish we had trails (and trees!) here!

Heather (Heather's Dish) July 2, 2010 at 9:33 am

oh, i wouldn’t punched nate if he scared me like that! that’s one thing i’m not a fan of, especially when i’m already feeling kind of creeped out! i love your CSA bag…so many veggies! YUM!

Evelyn @ cheers2healthy July 2, 2010 at 9:46 am

That CSA stash is huuuuge!! I think the stash I get from my CSA is a “half-size” and it’s enough for me but I think they’re going to get bigger. The weather has been a little weird in Portland!

Jenny July 2, 2010 at 9:51 am

Question- I really want to buy some glo bars….I can’t remember, but do you offer small samples of each bar to try them out before buyign a big box of one?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2010 at 9:30 pm

I don’t currently, sorry!

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs July 2, 2010 at 9:59 am

Errhh oh no witht he cobwebs! I’ve ridden through them on my horse a number of times, and it is HORRIBLE!
Is there aanny way you’d take orders for your Glo Bars to the UK? I think I even know 2 shops that would stock them if I asked (they always stock things when I ask :p), but if not, just for me!> :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2010 at 9:31 pm

I don’t ship overseas yet but hopefully some day!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 2, 2010 at 10:04 am

haha what a practical jokester!

KAtie July 2, 2010 at 10:21 am

I HATE biking or hiking through spiderwebs. It is the worst and they are impossible to get off your face.

I LOVE stir fries. I make a really similar one to that with garam masala powder.

Becki @ HikeBikeEat July 2, 2010 at 10:21 am

I want to move to Canada! I absolutely love all the backgrounds for your foods and your bike trails! I have big trail-envy!

Jacquelynn July 2, 2010 at 10:26 am

Hey Angela! How do you make your juices? Do you use a juicer, blender, vitamix? I’d like to start making juices, but wasn’t sure which tool to get…

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2010 at 9:31 pm

I have a Breville juicer :)

Elli @ 16 and Losing It July 2, 2010 at 10:30 am

Wow those veggies look so yummy! I’m going to have to try making them!

Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition July 2, 2010 at 10:45 am

Good luck at the Market this weekend!!

Sara July 2, 2010 at 11:14 am

Hahahah I always scare my boyfriend, he hates it, but it always gives us a good laugh! I’m such a jerk. lol

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 2, 2010 at 11:14 am

I need to learn to not read your blog when I’m hungry. :P It’s like going to the supermarket on an empty stomach- sooooo many tasty things you need to try them all!!

Liz July 2, 2010 at 11:20 am

We had a similar looking green in our CSA (Ontario as well) which was an early type of Rapini. Sorrento I think? If that is what it is the leaves taste like broccoli. Good luck!

Candice July 2, 2010 at 11:37 am

So fun! I’m so envious of your trail riding. I LOVE trail riding, but we don’t have any trails around here:(

Oh yea, and I don’t have a bike either.

Guess I’ll just live vicariously through your trail riding and stick to pounding the pavement for myself;)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 2, 2010 at 11:56 am

Your bike ride looks so gorgeous. I have a bike but it is definitely not the kind I’d want to be sitting on for a long time – the seat is SO uncomfortable!
Good luck tomorrow – I will be there! :)

Naomi(onefitfoodie) July 2, 2010 at 11:59 am

LOVe that meal! it looks so delicious and colorful! food is so much more fun to eat when it is appealing, right??

to answer your Q about the soft serve in Hot oats, YES! I plopped it right on top of a hot bowl of oats, and it is life changing! so so so good, some of it melts, soem of it stays cold, it is quite an explosion!

happy weekend!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2010 at 9:33 pm

mmmmm i must try this!

Shanna July 2, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Love the name ‘present’ for the pumpkin cran bars. So fitting because they seem like a gift to me!

Laura (youngDCliving) July 2, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Hmmm…. shiitakes, one of my favorites. Sorry I can’t help you out on the not-fennel weed, I didn’t think it was fennel either, but assumed it must be some strange variety. It almost looks like the shape of a watercress or something.

That dinner looks delish too! Can’t wait to hear how the market goes :)

Paige (Running Around Normal) July 2, 2010 at 1:00 pm

LOOK at all those veggies! Color me jealous ;) That was a great idea for you to ask for a CSA supply as a gift. I think I will do that for my birthday next year.

[email protected] July 2, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Your stir fry looks fabulous! I love stir fries because they are different every time and never get boring!

A. July 2, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Could it be fenugreek? Sounds a little like fennel?

Sarah R July 2, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Honestly it looks like clover to me. But I could be wrong. And I don’t really know what you would use clover for or why they would be selling it…

Gosia July 2, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I agree, looks like yellow clover to me. My smart Dad says proper (i.e. Latin) name is “Medicago lupulina”, so you can try googling that one:)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2010 at 9:36 pm

I googled yellow clover and it does look VERY similar!!! Will ask tomorrow…tks :)

Allison July 2, 2010 at 1:19 pm

I love that you’ve been rocking out the farmer’s markets. I’m glad it’s supposed to be sunny for the one tomorrow! Good luck with sales!

Diana July 2, 2010 at 1:28 pm

The veggie stir-fry looks so delicious! And I’m so jealous that your bike rides feature such breathtaking scenery. It all looks so refreshing. Good luck tomorrow! :)

Liz July 2, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Yum! All that produce looks amazing!!! I think I’m going to have to try that stir fry recipe!

[email protected]'s Going The Distance July 2, 2010 at 2:03 pm

The weather near you looks like it’s changing for the better! It looks beautiful there, so I hope it stays up for your market :)

Marianne in Auburn July 2, 2010 at 2:09 pm

It is definitely a type of clover….the three leaves and the flower give it away. Perhaps in the genus Trifolium (at least that is what we have growing down south!!). It is in the legume/pea family Fabaceae.

Marina July 2, 2010 at 2:41 pm

I love riding during summer! I wish we had some roads for riding in the woods.
your lunch, as always, looks great. I should make those little yummy seedy stuff, they look awesome!

GirlonRaw July 2, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Wow I totally want to live where you live. All that green makes me over living in the desert for sure! You are very lucky!

JenP July 2, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Maybe yu choy – a kind of bok choy. I picked some up at the farmers market a couple weeks ago. I used a recipe from steamy kitcen. Very good!

Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 2, 2010 at 3:06 pm

I’m impressed that you manage to use up all of the veggies you get. I’d be intimidated and wouldn’t know where to start!

Sana July 2, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Looks like fenugeek to me.

Gypsy July 2, 2010 at 3:37 pm

that bike ride looks heavenly! I need to get out of the city and into nature.
sigh….
I guess some desk stretches will have to do for now :)

[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 2, 2010 at 3:41 pm

What a nice evening. A great dinner, picked up your CSA, and got a workout/bike ride in.

Monica July 2, 2010 at 4:40 pm

That stir fry looks amazing and so colorful, yum yum!
The pictures only work for me when I go to the comments of each post, strange.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Hi Monica, What pictures are you referring to maybe i can fix it if there is an issue

Raven July 2, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Your mystery green is fenugreek. If you’ve ever had the Indian dish Saag (or Palaak) Aloo you’ve eaten it (usually mixed with spinach). The greens are called Methi in Hindi and the seeds have Canada Day appropriate maple flavor. Have fun!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2010 at 9:39 pm

thanks for the info!

Miranda @ MirandasJeans July 2, 2010 at 8:51 pm

LOL that is something I would do to my hubby. Though he doesn’t like it if I or he gets too far ahead or behind the other. He likes us to stick together that way we are riding or running together. Awe isn’t he sweet.

Lisa @ Early Morning Run July 4, 2010 at 4:29 pm

looks like a fantastic meal and ride! hope it all went well yesterday!