Simple Tricks To Inspire A Workout

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on June 26, 2010

Good morning!

It’s Day 2 of the Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market

This morning, I had something that lured me out from underneath the covers at 5:30am…

IMG_0577

I mixed up the VOO last night and then threw a frozen banana in the processor for a minute or two this AM.

But it wasn’t just any frozen banana…

IMG_0559

It was a frozen banana stuffed with peanut butter!

Last night I spread a layer of peanut butter in between the banana before putting it in the freezer. So in the morning all I did was toss the banana into the processor and go!

Instant Peanut Butter Banana Soft Serve.

IMG_0569

If you are a Banana soft serve fan, you must try it with peanut butter! I have tried it with peanut and cashew butter, and I think I prefer peanut. Has anyone tried it with almond butter? I need to buy some almond butter as I have been out for ages now.

With one of the last cherries!

IMG_0580

I need to pick up more cherries today. I heard that the market is expected to have a lot more farmer’s and produce this week, so that is very exciting! Last week the pickings were a bit slim. I had a couple readers come up to me last Saturday and tell me that they bought out all the garlic scapes! :lol:

IMG_0575

It’s supposed to rain today, so I am hoping that it doesn’t scare everyone off. :ermm:

IMG_0579

Simple Tricks To Inspire A Workout

Last night, I managed to get outside for a speedy workout. I was going to skip my workout and do it today after the market, but I visualized how nice it would be to come home from the market today and not have a workout looming over my head.

This simple visualization trick was all it took to motivate me to get out there. I told myself I could have a fun reward of relaxing on the couch with a movie after the market today. That sounded really nice to me!

I was supposed to do a brick workout, but I compromised and just decided on a quick run because I didn’t have much time on my hands.

The run:

• Distance: 3 miles
  • Time: 25:37 mins
  • Avg pace: 8:32 min/mile
  • Max pace: 6:20 min/mile (sprinting last 400 metres)
  • Avg heart rate: 157 bpm
  • Max heart rate: 183 bpm

Mile splits:

• Mile 1: 8:39
  • Mile 2: 8:48
  • Mile 3: 8:10

It was an awesome finish to the run…I am loving the strong finishes lately. It really makes the run seem much more satisfying when I go out with a bang like in a race.

My experience last night made me think about other tricks I have used to get myself motivated to workout.

Here are some of the tricks/strategies I have used in the past:

1) Visualize yourself working out and enjoying it, having the time of your life, smiling, rocking out to music. Now picture how amazing you feel afterwards!

2) Lay your clothing out. If working out early in the morning, lay out your workout clothes directly beside your bed. Or better yet, sleep in your workout clothes! I used to do this for really early workouts when I was commuting 2 hours into work.

3) Reward your hard work! Pick an activity that you could enjoy after your workout. Maybe it is a night out at the movies, lying on the couch for a couple hours just reading a good book, or trying out a new restaurant that just opened up.

4) Wear workout clothes that you love. If you feel good in what you are wearing you won’t have any excuses like, ‘Oh I don’t want to be seen in this at the gym’. Dress for success.

5) Make a workout piggy bank. For every workout you do, add a specified amount of money into the bank (e.g., $1, $5, etc). You can make certain workouts worth more money, so for example if you have a challenging long run or 90 minute hot yoga class you can make it worth $10. Pop the money in the piggy bank or jar after each workout and at the end of the month take the money and paint the town red!

6) Find a workout buddy. Make a date with your buddy and mark it in the calendar. It’s never a good feeling bailing on a friend so you will be more likely to stick to your workout dates than if you were flying solo. I have experienced this with Eric…when we plan to go for a swim on a certain day, it is really hard to back out once we have made the plan!

7) Use the 5 minute rule. If all else fails, tell yourself that all you have to do today is 5 mins of whatever exercise you had planned. 5 mins of running, swimming, biking, yoga, walking, etc. Whenever I tell myself this, I always end up doing more because the endorphins kick in and it just feels good to be sweating and moving.

8) Compromise. As I did last night, I compromised with myself. I knew I didn’t have time for a brick workout so I said I could just do a shorter run instead.

9) Keep a journal and write down how you feel after each workout. Re-read the entries when you are feeling unmotivated for a quick pick me up.

What about you? Do you use any of the above tricks? Do you have any tricks of your own to add to the list?

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg June 26, 2010 at 6:31 am

I love the idea of a workout piggy bank! I’ve never thought of that before. Or I guess I could do the inverse, and PAY my husband five dollars when I skip a workout, ha!

Mmmmm…frozen banana + pb is a good idea :-)

Michelle @ Eatingjourney June 26, 2010 at 6:40 am

I just spent 252.00 on new workout clothes..and I couldn’t believe how AWESOME I felt in them. I have sports bra that are FIVE years old..yikes!

I love keeping a journal and having a piggy bank.

Thanks Ange. Have Fun today!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices June 26, 2010 at 6:42 am

I definitly use some of these. On days where I’m struggling to workout I use the 5 minute rule and almost always I feel good after 5 minutes of working out and want to keep going. I also imagine how good I will feel after. I need to get myself some new workout clothes because I haven’t in ages, good suggestion! Have a fun time at the farmer’s market I wish it was in NYC so i could go!

Megan @ Sweet On June 26, 2010 at 6:42 am

Just yesterday I had been putting off running for DAYS. I really really didn’t want to, didn’t feel like it, but the weather was so nice and I felt really guilty. So I told myself I would put on my running clothes and just wear them around the house for awhile….and before I knew it I had also taken my inhaler and put on my shoes! And then I went for my run! It really worked just to go through the motions and trick my brain into getting motivated.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Wow I love this trick!

JL Goes Vegan June 26, 2010 at 6:42 am

Great workout tips! It’s 7:30 a.m. and brutally hot and all I need is a quick 3 mile jog today to loosen up for tomorrow’s half-marathon. Was thinking of reasons NOT to run and you’ve inspired me TO run. Thanks for that.

I have almond butter and I’m going to stuff a banana tonight and whip it up tomorrow pre-race! Thanks!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is June 26, 2010 at 6:59 am

I always lay my clothes out! Every night I have to since I get up so early. I also just always remind myself of how great I’ll feel after.

Kelsey June 26, 2010 at 7:11 am

I use strategies 2 & 9…I always lay out my clothes the night before a morning workout, that way it’s the first thing I grab when I wake up. I also use a workout log after every workout to write down how I felt throughout, because usually the reason why I’m unmotivated will show up there (ex. not enough sleep, stress from work…etc)!
Sometimes all I have to do when I don’t feel like working out, is just convince myself that it’s much more convenient to get it out of the way now, then trying to make it up later! :)

Morgan @ Life After Bagels June 26, 2010 at 7:14 am

Good thing it’s not too rainy yet, I’m leaving for St Lawrence Market right now . . . if I had a car I would come visit you instead!

Cassie @ Tasteful Tales June 26, 2010 at 7:36 am

These are GREAT tips! Thank you for them. Sometimes it is so hard to get motivated! I usually do try and visualize myself during and after the workout and how good I feel – this one works for sure!

Marisa (Loser for Life) June 26, 2010 at 7:39 am

I love peanut butter banana soft serve! I had some last night!

I visualize my workouts…well, really I visualize being done my workout before it even starts! LOL! I know that getting it done is better than lamenting all day that I didn’t do it! Git ‘r done, right?!

Hope you have a great Farmers Market Day :)

Wei-Wei June 26, 2010 at 7:53 am

I definitely think that the five minutes thing is very effective. I mean, you can do anything for five minutes, and during those five minutes… you never know, you might change your mind! ;)

I think PB + Bananas are a great great combo. I think PB is good with a LOT of things, actually. :D

Wei-Wei

Lauren @ Eater not a runner June 26, 2010 at 7:56 am

Love the tips. I think when I just schedule a workout into my schedule I’m much more likely to do it!

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs June 26, 2010 at 8:01 am

Good tips! I always picture how I’ll feel after the workout – that always does the trick :)

Marina June 26, 2010 at 8:03 am

I always have in mind that after a workout, I’ll feel much much better and energetic. That usually is enough motivation :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 26, 2010 at 8:09 am

Those are good tips! I practice most of them, especially #1! Everytime I’m not feeling pumped up for a workout, I imagine myself running around the gym “playing” with all the weights. It works!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 26, 2010 at 8:23 am

I like to treat myself to a magazine to read while I’m on the elliptical or treadmill. That always gets me wanting to workout!

Good luck at the market today. I hope the rain holds off! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Yes magazines are KEY on exercise equipment! I used to buy a new one each week just for the gym! haha

Erin June 26, 2010 at 8:29 am

These are great tips that came just a wee bit too late for me this morning as I rolled out of bed and immediately felt the book/coffee/couch allure. ;) Ah well, tomorrow is another day!

Susan June 26, 2010 at 8:32 am

Angela, you are getting so FAST!! 3 miles in 25 minutes is fantastic!!

I use all those tips! Often I motivate myself by putting my workout clothes on and having a snack. When those two things happen, I feel like I can’t back out! Also, putting new tunes on my iPod always motivates me. I see it as an opportunity to relax and listen to some new music!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2010 at 12:58 pm

You have just reminded me to add new workout songs! Mine are sooooo over-played, I want to hurl. lol. Ok I need to stop saying that word today.

Stefanie June 26, 2010 at 8:34 am

That might be your best idea for VOO yet. Thanks for the workout motivation tips. I hope your second day at the market is better then the first. :)

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas June 26, 2010 at 8:42 am

I love the 5-minute rule, but after that it’s all about the music for me!

I would never admit to the horrible pop music I listen to when running, but it works!

Krystina June 26, 2010 at 8:51 am

I always think of how good I’ll feel after a work out and it usually motivates me enough. I also sleep in my sports bra, which for some reason motivates me to do my yoga routine every morning. :D

[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 26, 2010 at 9:08 am

What a great summer idea, a frozen banana with pb and some jam would would top it off.

Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 26, 2010 at 9:15 am

Oh I sooo need to try peanut butter with the soft serve banana.. why have I never done that?!

Kristina June 26, 2010 at 9:17 am

I use almond butter in my banana soft serve – it is delicious!

I am so going to start a workout piggy bank!! :)

Callie June 26, 2010 at 9:18 am

That peanut butter banana looks good!
I’ve been trying to use a workout piggy bank, but haven’t really been keeping up with it.
Good luck at the market. :)

Jamie @ Tearaveler June 26, 2010 at 9:24 am

Excellent workout tips! I always have trouble with the first one: enjoying it! And I agree completely that it is a mental thing and you have to imagine yourself having fun and then, poof! you actually do =)

Jen @ Happy Heart, Happy Mind June 26, 2010 at 9:36 am

I love these tricks! I think I’m going to talk my husband into starting a workout piggy bank. Then we can use the money to have a little extra fun on vacation!

The one I use most often is the 5-10 minute rule. It never fails! I also tell myself that I can just “go for a walk” or do an “easy” workout video on-demand, but as soon as I get into it, it makes me want to run or do another video until before I know it I have completed a pretty amazing workout! Endorphins are crazy motivators ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Yes endorphins are ADDICTING aren’t they?

Casey June 26, 2010 at 9:45 am

PB and banana is one of my favorite combos, so I have to try that out.

I usually use something like the 5 minute rule, but usually it is while I’m working out. So if I’m on a run, I’d say okay in 5 more minutes, or one more mile and you can walk. Usually once I get to that point I decide to keep pushing it out!

Deva (Voracious Vorilee) June 26, 2010 at 10:03 am

I love laying out my workout gear the night before, so I am ready to go in the morning. If I’m still struggling in the morning, I always remind myself that I asked The Boy to wake me up for a workout, so why waste a beautiful morning?

However, if I find that I’m dragging my feet because I am DREADING my workout, I take that as a sign that I need a rest day and take one, and never regret it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2010 at 12:59 pm

yes I agree…sometimes we really dont need a workout!

Amber K June 26, 2010 at 10:06 am

Peanut butter banana soft serve? Totally drooling….

I definitely use some of those tricks! Visualizing how I’ll feel afterwards and rewarding myself with some couch time and a good book or movie usually gets me up and out there!

Sarah June 26, 2010 at 10:20 am

I love the piggy bank idea. I am SO going to find a piggy bank today!

I’m an afternoon/evening workout person. I’ve also tried laying out the clothes or putting them in the car. I feel like if they’re waiting for me in the car, then I have to go to the gym or to karate after work. My other big thing is to not let myself go home after work. If I go home, I’ll want to stay there, and I know that about myself. I’ve also tried finding a buddy, but I have a hard time finding a buddy who is committed. I’ve kind of learned that I do best in a group (class) setting anyway, though.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2010 at 1:00 pm

I agree about not going home…I used to say that on occasion or that I’d workout ;after dinner’ and it rarely happened!

bianka June 26, 2010 at 10:32 am

I tried almond butter in my soft serve and it was delish! But honestly I don’t think you could ever go wrong with a nut butter + banana combo. However, I do find that it is better to add your nut butter after you make the soft serve because otherwise you don’t really taste it unless you add A LOT. By barely mixing it in afterwards you get nice big chunks of nut butter. Yum.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2010 at 1:00 pm

That is a great tip! I will have to compare..

Kris June 26, 2010 at 10:32 am

I’ve used most of those tips. Unfortunately though, I’ve rarely had a workout buddy. I would really love to have someone to workout with, and help motivate me. DH works out, but his activities are much different than mine. I definitely subscribe to the theory that looking good will get you going! I love my gym clothes :)

Jennifer June 26, 2010 at 10:46 am

When I’m feeling lazy, I get dressed in my workout clothes anyway, even if I’m protesting inside. Then once I’m dressed I also use the 5 minute rule.

I’ve always got a goal in mind, and when I’m feeling like being lazy I just keep my eyes on the prize and that usually keeps me going.

Also, I tell myself this:
I’ve regretted not working out, but I’ve never once regretted working out.

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] June 26, 2010 at 11:19 am

I hope the market goes well for you today and that the rain holds off. Great workout tips – I’ve never heard of #5. Have a HAPPY day!

Maria : A La Mode (Please) June 26, 2010 at 11:28 am

I love the idea of a workout piggy bank. I can just hear my new mantra now “Must keep running for new Lululemon clothes”.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2010 at 1:01 pm

hahahah yessssssssssssss me too

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! June 26, 2010 at 11:53 am

I hope the rain didn’t keep the Glo Bar (and Dough!) lovers away! My fingers are crossed for you :)

Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey June 26, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Oh my gosh, making softserve with a pb-stuffed banana is genius! I’ve always loved adding peanut butter to my soft-serve, but that’s a totally new way to do it.

Thanks for the workout motivation tips. I definitely could use them… sometimes I just don’t want to go! lol. :P

zoe (and the beatles!) June 26, 2010 at 12:48 pm

thanks for the motivation, angela!

i just finished the work out i was going to skip :)

have a great farmer’s market day! i hope the rain stays away!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Good work!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans June 26, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I remind myself of my goals (nowadays its a race I have signed up for) or I tell people I am going to do this workout or that class. I know if I fail to hold myself accountable they will. This month I am also on a team with 3 other people who work out often and we are challnged to get as many workouts in as possible (as compared to the other people in the challenge) If we get the most we win! So by not working out I not only let myself down but I let my team down too.

Allison @ Food For Healing June 26, 2010 at 12:57 pm

so yummy, i’ll have to try the banana soft serve with peanut butter for sure

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) June 26, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Great workout tricks!! I am going to try that 5 min one. :) I also love the visualization. I do that a lot!!

kelly June 26, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Love the tips!! I am always motivated by thinking of how nice it will be to have my work out done and over with :)

I also love that you made your VOO in a measuring cup!

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble June 26, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Good idea to keep a workout piggy bank. Just need to keep money in my actual bank account first… LOL!

Daniel June 26, 2010 at 3:32 pm

The 5-minute trick is pretty neat and I think I’ll work in some of the other ones too. I always do a workout regardless but I should really learn to do more that I enjoy instead of “forcing” myself to do an activity I don’t want to do!

I make my own almond butter at home and I mixed some of it with frozen banana, soy milk and a bit of yogurt for a topping on my pancakes this morning, I love the sweet taste of almonds so it was fantastic! I need to try peanut butter with the bananas though!

heather June 26, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I do the reverse of your money trick–for every workout I skip, I donate $5 to charity. Obviously I make exceptions for injury and illness, but sheer laziness gets no excuses. I’ve heard that financial incentives work the best when trying to get someone to work out, and they’ve definitely worked for me–I almost never pass on a workout now (and when I do, at least some good still comes from it!).

When I was in college, what worked really well for me was to plan exercise into my day. I’d schedule one class from 9-10, then nothing else until noon or one o’clock. Once I was on campus, I didn’t want to bother going home just for a few hours, so there was nothing else to do in that window except workout or study (and when those are my two options, I’d pick working out first any day!). Setting up my schedule so that it was easier to work out than not work out was really important to establishing a regular workout routine for me–I easily worked out 5 days a week back then.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Wow donating $5 to charity is a wonderful idea!

maren June 26, 2010 at 4:53 pm

i ALWAYS add almond butter or peanut butter to my banana soft serve! it is just so much better than plain, and now i can’t have it without! also good to then top it with melted dark chocolate!

Rachel June 26, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Hi Angela! Just wanted to say I love your site and I bought garlic scapes today at our farmer’s market! Can’t wait to try that pesto you’ve been talking about! Hope sells were good at the market today. I linked your site on my new blog.

meandchew June 26, 2010 at 5:47 pm

I’ve tried almond butter in my banana soft serve and it’s fantastic!!

Vickie E June 26, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Yum! What a good idea with the nut butter and banana. I’m definitely trying that with almond butter, cause thats my fav! I’m also loving your workout inspiration tricks! Thanks!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) June 26, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Those tips would all work for me!!! I am going to put them in action whenever I am dreading a workout this summer – especially the 5 minute rule. Whenever I start working out, I am happy that I did … it is just the problem of getting started.

Mary June 27, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Great work out strat’s Ange! I will def save a copy of that list for when I need that extra little puch ;)

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter June 27, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Superb tips Ang! I need to get off my bum and work out again after my mini vacation!

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' June 28, 2010 at 1:05 am

So smart to freeze the peanut butter INTO the banana! Sounds like a great time-saver!

I actually tried almond butter in my banana soft-serve last week, and I couldn’t really taste it… maybe because it was unsalted? I kinda felt like it was a waste of my almond butter! Peanut butter definitely adds more flavor, so that’s my preference from now on!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2010 at 1:02 pm

hmm was your PB raw? Mine is roasted..

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' June 28, 2010 at 1:23 pm

My almond butter is raw, but the peanut butter I use is roasted, too. I’ve actually never tried raw peanuts or peanut butter, but I really love the flavor of the roasted version!

Ed June 28, 2010 at 3:21 am