Chilly ‘Naner, Nib, and Nut Butter Sandwich

Happy Friday!

IMG 0471 thumb   Chilly ‘Naner, Nib, and Nut Butter Sandwich

I just couldn’t resist! :biggrin:

I told you last night that I discovered a fun post-workout treat. I decided to make a twist on the classic banana and nut butter ‘sandwich’.

I’m sure this snack is not new to many of you, but it was a first for me!

IMG 0498 thumb   Chilly ‘Naner, Nib, and Nut Butter Sandwich

Chilly ‘Naner, Nib, ‘n Nut Butter Sandwich

Ingredients:

• 1 banana, sliced along the length to create 2 halves
  • 1-2 tbsp peanut butter (or nut butter of your choice)
  • Cacao nibs or chocolate chips for sprinkling

Directions: Slice banana along the length to create two halves. Spread with a layer of nut butter and sprinkle with cacao nibs. Assemble the banana back together by placing the halves onto each other. Pop into a container and place in the freezer for 1-4 hours, making sure not to allow it to completely freeze. Enjoy whole or by slicing into rounds, after a hot + sweaty workout!

IMG 0462 thumb   Chilly ‘Naner, Nib, and Nut Butter Sandwich

Mmmmm! Loved this after my run yesterday! It was so refreshing. The key is to not freeze it for too long. The goal here is cold, but not hard and frozen completely.

IMG 0496 thumb   Chilly ‘Naner, Nib, and Nut Butter Sandwich

The cacao nibs gave it a great texture too!

I started this morning with a fresh juice composed of 1 large beet, 2 carrots, 1/2 a lemon, small piece of ginger, and 1/2 a cuke:

IMG 0544 thumb   Chilly ‘Naner, Nib, and Nut Butter Sandwich

IMG 0553 thumb   Chilly ‘Naner, Nib, and Nut Butter Sandwich

Along with Japanese Sencha green tea

IMG 0556 thumb   Chilly ‘Naner, Nib, and Nut Butter Sandwich

I got to work making Glo Dough and Chocolate Macaroons for the Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market tomorrow.

IMG 0563 thumb   Chilly ‘Naner, Nib, and Nut Butter Sandwich

IMG 0551 thumb   Chilly ‘Naner, Nib, and Nut Butter Sandwich

I am having fun experimenting in the kitchen with new goodies!

IMG 0561 thumb   Chilly ‘Naner, Nib, and Nut Butter Sandwich

The rest of the day will be devoted to making Glo Bars for tomorrow, paper work, and banking. I also need to call the government and find out how the new HST tax is going to effect my business.

Word on the street is that Eric is making me breakfast this morning so I am eagerly awaiting getting my tummy (haha I just wrote ‘yummy’!) filled.

Today’s question: What are your favourite desserts or treats, if you could have anything in the world?

I am a pretty classic girl…I love cupcakes or a slice of cake with tons of delicious piped, thick, frosting. I also love pumpkin pie, rich and moist banana bread, macaroons, soft ginger cookies, and cookie dough. Mmm, this just gave me a huge craving to make banana bread now!

I’ll see you later. Have a great Friday!

Paige June 25, 2010

Mmm, I love banana bread too! But if I see carrot cake on a menu anywhere, I have a very hard time resisting it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 25, 2010

Carrot cake is so good…I had an amazing raw carrot cake at a restaurant called Live in TO, I should try to make one some day. It was craaaazy good.

Paige June 25, 2010

Wow, I bet! Sounds awesome.

Adrienne June 25, 2010

I live down the street from LIVE…I eat there like once a week!

Jessica @ How Sweet June 25, 2010

The macaroons look AMAZING!

I would have to go with cheesecake. Love it.

Kelly June 25, 2010

Oh wow, that banana looks amazing. I may have to try that!

Paige (Running Around Normal) June 25, 2010

Girl I give you props for making juices without any fruit (besides lemon)! I must have at least an apple or an orange in the mix to drink them.
Good luck baking today!
Favorite dessert would probably have to be a brownie sundae.

Triathlonbabe aka Grace June 25, 2010

I love that same juice recipe without fruit as well….I think it’s the bit of tartness that addsto it, although I tried my juice w/an apple and jicama last week and it was YUMMY GOOD!

Danielle June 25, 2010

Ah, the classic cold or frozen banana. So versatile!

As for favorite desserts…right now I am on a thumbprint cooke kick (also known as a birdsnest cookie), prowling the local bakeries looking for the perfect speciman. The problem is so many people make it more like shorbread with a splot of jam in the middle for show. No, this is wrong my friends! Ideally, it is of a nutty, substantial, faintly grainy texture, more sweet biscuit than typical cookie really. And it should have a nice well in the middle to hold all the jammy awesomeness. There’s a little hippie bakery about 5 miles away from my house that is totally worth cycling to when the urge hits hard. Otherwise, the Whole Foods near my house has a mouthwatering vegan version – if you see one in your travels, I highly recommend this marvelous cookie!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 25, 2010

hahah I love this comment! They should have LOTS of jam in the middle for sure. I need to make some!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 25, 2010

That was new to me when I met my husband. I never heard of bananas with pb and chocolate chips, but my father-in-law apparently made it all the time for Matt as a kid.
Yum :d

Courtney @ Three Months June 25, 2010

I absolutely adore ice cream! Topped with hot caramel sauce – divine!

Adrienne June 25, 2010

CARROT CAKE…hands down with copious amounts of cream cheese frosting….followed closely by those “No Pudge” brownie mixes (I eat half the batter before it makes it into the oven)…and of course Banana Bread!!

Leah @ L4L June 25, 2010

A warm brownie topped with vanilla ice cream is hands down my favorite. Followed closely by tiramisu. But I don’t think I’ve ever met a dessert I didn’t like!

lizzie June 25, 2010

My favourite treat would have to be my mum’s Lemon Delicious pudding. Warm soft sponge like cake on top, yummy not too thick or think lemony sauce on the bottom. She made me one when I was home last week . . . now I am homesick just thinking about it!! SO good!!

Heather (Heather's Dish) June 25, 2010

ooooooh…key lime pie, tiramisu, and bread pudding…although anything with, you know, SUGAR, is pretty good :)

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' June 25, 2010

Mmm… I like the same sort of desserts! A slice of moist cake with rich buttercream frosting, a soft oatmeal raisin or ginger cookie, banana bread (or pumpkin bread!), or a hot brownie topped with ice cream are at the top of my list. :D Okay, I shouldn’t think about this stuff so early in the morning!!

Annie D. @ Annie's Simple Life June 25, 2010

What a great banana idea!!!! That looks so yummy!

Sarah June 25, 2010

Oooh, I adore PB and banana sandwhiches but I never in a million years thought to semi freeze them first. You are so clever :) It’d be perfect during this hot and humid DC weather!

I love love love love love red velvet cake. One of my wedding cake tiers will be vegan red velvet cake. Uh oh, right now I’m seriously craving some red velvet action…

Miranda @ Mirandasjeans June 25, 2010

I would have to say that my all time favorite go to dessert is Cheesecake. Specifically Capuccino cheesecake, any coffee flavored cheese cake. Not too thick that you can’t enjoy the flavors and are smacking your tounge to try and swallow it. Just nice and moist and light that you can enjoy a full slice.

Bam June 25, 2010

Key Lime Pie. I cannot resist. I also just made a Strawberry Rhubarb Tart that was ah-mazing.

Callie @ Callieflower Kitchen June 25, 2010

I’m most definitely a cookie girl – classic chocolate chip are my fave, but I like ANY kind! Ginger, sugar with thick icing, oatmeal raisin, chocolate, wafer, shortbread, butter, sandwich with icing in the middle … they all make my heart beat fast!

Lauren June 25, 2010

Hmm, not a big dessert fan. Crazy, I know! I’m not into sweet stuff…or salty for that matter!! I love fresh and crisp! Not even a big fruit fan! Haha, well, when the mood strikes on a rare occasion I love ginger cookies or some dark chocolate, or hot almond milk mixed with black strap molasses and cinnamon. :)

Jamie @ Tearaveler June 25, 2010

Your pictures are gorgeous!

My favorite ‘treat’ is hands down a banana boat while camping (slice halfway through a banana, scoop out the top half of the naner, add pieces of chocolate, stuff with marshmellows – close as much of the peel around it as your can – wrap in tin foil and toss on the fire for awhile)… seriously, it is the best – ooey-gooey treat!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2010

omg this sounds incredible!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2010

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs June 25, 2010

Oh. My. Days. @ that banana thing!! I definetly need to try that :D
I love a good old muffin – you can’t beat them!! Raw brownies are pretty good too, and reeaaaally good quality dark chocolate…food heaven:)

Beth @ DiningAndDishing June 25, 2010

I ADORE canolis…or a thick slice of chocolate cake. I am a huge dessert fan though, so let’s be honest, I kind of love everything :).

Michelle June 25, 2010

While I LOVE pumpkin pie and pecan pie, I can’t get enough fresh-made chocolate chip cookies and milk. And fresh, rich, fudgy brownies and milk. I like them both “medium rare.” Just lightly crisp on the outside and goooooey on the inside. Not crunchy. Not chewy. Gooooey! I wanna have to lick the melted chocolate off my fingers!

Therese June 25, 2010

I’m a HUGE fan of a smeared peanut butter banana before or after a run! So yummy yet so simple! LOVE the idea of the cacao nibs too!

I’m such a dessert freak, I’ll eat almost any dessert! Ha ha ha I LOVE cake, mostly I just eat the cake part first to get it out of the way and then savour the frosting. Also a ginormous cheesecake fan and dessert “bars”!

Oh…geez…look what you did to me…now I want dessert!!!

Cassie @ Tasteful Tales June 25, 2010

Cheesecake, Cheesecake, Cheesecake!!! And that Banana snack looks amazing! Never thought of adding in the nibs.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg June 25, 2010

Banana + PB is one of my favorite snacks, but adding the cacoa nibs in there is a stroke of genius!! Yum!

Marina June 25, 2010

That banana looks awesome :))
Hm, I would choose cookies and milk.
Or a huge muffin with tons of chocolate. Or some awesome cake with amazing custard. Yeah. I don’t eat enough of that stuff :D

Olivia @ Blissful Runner June 25, 2010

Any treats flavored with almond extract make me swoon and drool in equal measure. At our wedding we seved almond cookies during coctail hour and almond cake at the reception. One can never have too much almond goodness in my opinion! :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2010

I too am a huge almond extract fan. It is downright ADDICTIVE in aroma/flavour.

geetha June 25, 2010

Hi Angela,
The PB & Nibs Naner looks good. You can try PB & J naners too..they taste awesome…they are my go to snacks, all the time. Maybe you should try it with your strawberry jam.
BTW, where do u get your lovely spoons from?…i always drool over them! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2010

They are from Crate and Barrel :)

Kara @ MyWellnest June 25, 2010

Very creative banana/PB snack! Your pictures are always so beautiful!!!!
My favorite desserts are brownies & banana bread!

Erin at TheHealthyApron June 25, 2010

Carrot cake!! Or Brownies! but they have to be the REALLy sinful varieties…although cooking light has a pretty decent carrot cake recipe I’ve tried before. I am such a dessert girl! If I was a better baker, I would love to bake and sell desserts!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 25, 2010

I think your banana and nut butter sandwich might just become one of my favourite desserts! (although i doubt i’d find it on a menu anywhere!) i’m starting to think that the frozen banana might just be one of the most amazing fruits EVER!

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana June 25, 2010

The Glo balls look so delish!

My favorite treat: Pumpkin Pie! I eat at least 5 a year BY-MYSELF. Frightening I know ;)

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker June 25, 2010

Love the banana thing!!! We did something very similar a couple weeks ago, and it’s my new favorite dessert. Not quite as healthy as your version, but I can’t believe how much the banana tastes like ice cream when frozen! http://www.neverhomemaker.com/2010/06/frozen-banana-bites.html

Bethany @ Not Unless I'm Being Chased June 25, 2010

I’m definitely going to have to try the semi-frozen nanner treat. The temps are getting a little out of control in my area and I’m training for a marathon, so it’s not exactly like I can just skip my runs, heat or not! The banana rounds will cool me down, for sure.
On a side note, when I scrolled down to the picture of the juice, the angle of the photo made it look like the juice is sliding off the sill so my instinct was to jump forward to catch it! Ridiculous internet delusions! :) Happy Friday!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2010

HHAHA thanks for trying to catch my juice! ;p

Saffity June 25, 2010

Angelfood cake is definitely my favourite, especially topped with homemade whipped cream and fruit! I’m ok with the boxed version but I like it best when made from scratch. I’m also known for nomming pumpkin pie and skor cheesecakes (when made fresh).

If I’m just looking for a snack though I’m more often found digging to the bottom of a chip bag than anything sweet.

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies June 25, 2010

Ohh – that banana looks amazing. PB and banana are just such a classic combo – and adding cacao nibs to it…nom! Also – I just love red velvet cake…or cupcakes. Or chocolate cupcakes with coconut frosting. mmm

LisaG June 25, 2010

I love anything dark chocolate: mousse,cheesecake, molton lava cakes etc.

Stefanie June 25, 2010

I like chocolate desserts. Most of the time I skip the cake and go straight for the chocolate bar (70%+ dark chocolate). I crave fruits more then baked goods though. Your chilled banana sandwich looks mighty tasty. :)

Lizz @ Leading the Good Life June 25, 2010

Creme Brulee! Or anything with carmel. :)

Lizz @ Leading the Good Life June 25, 2010

*caramel

Andrea @ Sweet N Green June 25, 2010

My favorite sweet treat will always be my mom’s chocolate chip cookies. Good thing I don’t live at home anymore, I could seriously eat an entire batch by myself! :-P

Page 1 of 3123»