Sometimes It Seems So Wrong, But It Is Oh So Right

Good afternoon!

By now, you probably know a few things about me…

• I love quick recipes.
  • I love healthy recipes.
  • I love delicious tasting recipes.
  • I don’t care for long ingredient lists- simple is good!

This chickpea recipe is no exception to my requirements…

Chick P’s & P.B

IMG 88902 thumb   Sometimes It Seems So Wrong, But It Is Oh So Right

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained *(see note below)
  • 1 heaping tbsp peanut butter (other nut butters might work too!)
  • 1/2 tsp pure maple syrup

Directions: Rinse and drain chickpeas. For a single serving, take 1/2 cup of cooked chickpeas and set aside in a small, but deep, bowl. In another small bowl, mix the nut butter and pure maple syrup together. Scoop the PB + maple syrup mixture onto the chickpeas and mix well with a spoon. Serve over top of a soft piece of bread, in a wrap, on a salad, or eat it alone! I tried this on toast, soft bread, and alone and I liked it best alone, then on soft bread, and didn’t care for it on toast too much. It may also be good on the right kind of salad too!

Note: I used canned chickpeas, however if you cook your own, you might want to add a pinch of sea salt as the canned chickpeas have a lovely salty flavour to them.

Nutritional Information: (Serves 1): 260 calories, 9 grams fat, 6 grams fibre, 9 grams protein.

Those are some amazing nutritional stats, eh? It makes for a quick and healthy morning or afternoon power snack!

IMG 88802 thumb   Sometimes It Seems So Wrong, But It Is Oh So Right

I came up with this simple recipe when I was making my first batch of dessert hummus- that recipe will be coming shortly too!

IMG 88912 thumb   Sometimes It Seems So Wrong, But It Is Oh So Right

I know it probably seems very strange to mix peanut butter and maple syrup and throw it onto chickpeas (trust me, I thought so too!), but it honestly tastes AMAZING!

I must ask, what is nut butter not good with?

I have realized that chickpeas are very versatile and will basically adapt to any flavour that you mix it with!

IMG 88922 thumb   Sometimes It Seems So Wrong, But It Is Oh So Right

I loved mixing this together and just eating the chickpeas + PB mix on its own. It tasted incredible! Try it out and let me know what you think. :biggrin:

Do you love any strange combinations of foods that you think just taste amazing but others may cringe at the thought?

Check Out These OSG T-Shirts For Breast Cancer Charity!

KAT5DTGL516V thumb   Sometimes It Seems So Wrong, But It Is Oh So Right Hello OSG readers! My name is Kath and I will be walking 60 miles in 3 days for the Susan G. Koman Breast Cancer Walk in San Diego November 19-21, 2010.

I need to raise $2,300 to help fight breast cancer! Angela has stepped up to support my fundraising efforts by working with me to create a t-shirt design for Oh She Glows. Please visit – www.icostore.net/katherine3day to purchase Angela’s design (under the category “She Glows”) or one of the many other designs available along with maybe different apparel styles or accessories. Thank you for your support for this great cause!

Tomorrow AM, I will be addressing your questions about whether I have any desire to do another triathlon. To prep you for the discussion, here is the 3rd graph installment!

IMG 1503 thumb1   Sometimes It Seems So Wrong, But It Is Oh So Right

Eric and I are hoping to get out for a short bike ride tonight to loosen up our legs. Have a great night!

steff (steffsays.com) June 8, 2010

hahaha…that graph is amazing! love it.

Cassandra June 8, 2010

Um….WOW, that looks delicious to me! I love chickpeas – I went through a stage where I had a half a can with my lunch – straight up! I can’t wait to give this a try.

alyne June 8, 2010

Was eric athletic before you met him or did he become so because of your time to-ge-tha?

And are you vegetarian for health or for I love the furry creatures reasons??

<333alyne

p.s. am in israel, and thus, have access to MANY CHICKPEAS! and will make this :)
(but no nut butter…)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010

He played football and basketball when I met him in highschool.

I’m a vegan for lots of reasons…animal welfare, health, environment, etc.

grace June 8, 2010

that looks yummy!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is June 8, 2010

Love the shirts! And I just don’t know if I could do chickpeas and PB…

Camille June 8, 2010

What a unique recipe! Love it!

Helen June 8, 2010

Oooo if the graph is to be believed it’s looking good for another tri!! I do hope so!
The chickpea recipe looks delicious. You are so right, sometimes the simple recipes are the best. I will so have to try this, it looks like a yummy snack.

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker June 8, 2010

I’m totally with you on the quick, easy, and tasty recipes. It’s the best way to eat healthy for life! And this looks super good, Angela! If you like that, I’m thinking you might like this garbanzo bean salad I made with a tahini-coconut-basil dressing http://www.neverhomemaker.com/2010/05/garbanzo-bean-salad.html

Lemme know what you think if you try it out! have you ever seen those chocolate chippers with garbanzos in them? it’s in the cookbook Deceptively Delicious. We tried ‘em out . . . not a huge fan.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010

Oh that recipe looks amazing! TU!

Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow June 8, 2010

That recipe looks dreamy! Quick + easy is the way to go, especially if they are delish!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 8, 2010

Ooooh these look wonderful!!! I must try them asap!

Kellie June 8, 2010

I am going to go try that right now. It looks like it would be very filling. Another great way to use chickpeas.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter June 8, 2010

That is such a funny combo. I’m not the biggest fan of chickpeas, so I don’t know about actually trying it.

Are you thinking about doing another triathalon?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010

possibly….I haven’t decided yet!

Tracy June 8, 2010

One of my go-to meals is chickpeas (sometimes cinnamon roasted) over quinoa or millet with a peanut butter (or almond butter) and maple syrup sauce drizzled over the top!

Nut butter/maple syrup is my standard pancake topping. It’s also great to dip kale chips into!!! Try it! I sometimes thin it with a little hot water.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010

I still have not tried kale chips…hoping we get some kale in our CSA this week!

Heather (Heather's Dish) June 8, 2010

how creative! i love that idea…and you’re right, it can’t get much better than those nutritional stats! this has me concocting a little something special with chickpeas for later… :)

Amber K June 8, 2010

It sounds SOOO strange! And yet….I feel like I must try it! Personally I’ve always loved sweet pickles and peanut butter on a sandwich. Sounds gross, but is pretty darn tasty!

Cynthia (It All Changes) June 8, 2010

I’m with you. And sometimes things you think won’t work totally do. I love garbanzos because they adapt to anything.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman June 8, 2010

I can’t imagine how that flavor combination works, but I’ll trust you. I think of chick peas as a savory food, but I can see how it would blend well with stronger flavors.

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! June 8, 2010

I am curious to see your graph on day 3 and beyond!

You ask if there is anything that nut butter doesn’t make better, and I vote nothing! Nut butters could bring around world peace. Perhaps we should send some to the G8/G20 meetings at the end of the month? :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010

haha I love the idea..I think it will work

Leah June 8, 2010

This sounds really good to me. My mom used to give my brother and I candy covered chickpeas, so I can see them being good with sweetness added. Granted, as a 9 year old, I thought they were disgusting. But that doesnt count. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010

candy covered chickpeas….wow, that might work!

Krystina June 8, 2010

You do such interesting things with food.

Bridget June 8, 2010

Ooooh, what a lovely and unique recipe. It’s true: nut butters make everything better! About a year and a half ago, I hardly ever ate nut butters but now I eat them everyday. I crave it if I don’t

Sarah @ cocoanutshakes June 8, 2010

Amazing snack!!! Your graphs make me smile =)

Kailey June 8, 2010

This looks amazing! I’ll definitely have to try it out :) What do chickpeas taste like?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010

That is a very hard question to answer…I really don’t know how to describe them! They have a very light flavour and are quite dense…they will basically adapt anything!

kristi (sweet cheeks) June 8, 2010

YUM! it just is NOT possible for nut butter to taste bad on anything…simply not possible.

I can’t wait to try this!

Miranda @ MirandasJeans June 8, 2010

Love the graph, must have missed that original post. Can’t wait to hear what you have to tell us tomorrow.

Love the shirt idea, but sadness, the shirts are too hard to see white on white like that, I can’t really see all that much detail. :-(

kim June 8, 2010

so funny that you posted this because i came across this recipe for zuchini hummus. i thought about how much you love hummus. : ) anyway, my hubby has lots of zuchini growing in his garden and i wanted to find something cool to make.

i found this recipe by gena at choosing raw. OMG so good and so healthy! fresh veggie over canned. i added minced garlic to the recipe too. glad you posted so i could pass it on!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010

Thanks I will check it out!

Rachel June 8, 2010

Weird Q, but what kind of canned chickpeas do you generally get?

I find some brands are so much better than others (i.e. Primo and Compliments brand > Cedar) I guess it depends on your grocery store…

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010

I buy the Presidents Choice organic canned chickpeas when I am short on time, otherwise I use the big pail of dried chickpeas that I bought in bulk. I agree that there is a lot of variation between brands! I find the non-organic ones are a bit questionable at times…(esp no-name!)

Wei-Wei June 8, 2010

Ermm… This sounds delicious indeed, but my mom would be giving me weird looks the whole time. I have a question – when other people look at you strangely or make comments on what you eat (just yesterday my sister dissed oatmeal: “It’s disgusting nothing-tasting mush.” And just before that she had proposed to eat McD’s for breakfast. I looked at her and told her not to diss it and that I don’t like Mcdonald’s either, but clearly I cared more than she did when she said that “If you don’t like it then don’t eat it.”) how do you deal with it? I find it especially hard since it’s usually my family and friends who witness my weirdness (again, another anecdote: I went separate ways with a few friends once when they met another friend in the hallway, and when they were leaving I sort of went in the same direction, because eventually we had to turn opposite ways as well. I heard loud laughs and the words “salad, every day.” The only person I know in our friendship group who eats salad everyday is me.) and especially when my mom, who is usually in charge of what I eat, is the one making comments. Do you have any advice to deal with these kinds of comments?

Thanks so much, and those chickpeas really do sound great. :)

Wei-Wei

Keri June 8, 2010

First off let me say that I have not been reading OSG recently bc I’ve been really busy the past month (I quit my job, moved, and started a new grad program… plus I’m finishing planning my wedding!) I have missed your blog! Anyway, I ran out of yogurt (my go-to breakfast) yesterday and I was like I remember when I used to read OSG every day and Angela made those vegan overnight oats all the time… so I tried them. I was super skeptical that cold oatmeal would be weird but OH. MY. GOODNESS. SOOOO yummy!

The point of this story is that I need to trust Angela, even when she suggests something totally wacky like chickpeas and maple syrup.

So glad you enjoyed it!

MarathonVal June 8, 2010

You would like my dreamy peanut butter spread http://chicagomarathonval.com/2010/05/22/this-dip-will-change-your-life/ which is made from the same ingredients. It’s soooo addicting that I couldn’t help myself the last time I made it and ate almost the whole thing in one sitting! And today for a snack I ate chickpeas drizzled with agave. Yum!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010

Sounds good I will check it out!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 8, 2010

I’m not gonna lie those chick peas look Oh so wrong. I guess I’d have to try it.

Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 8, 2010

I never would’ve thought to combine chickpeas and peanut butter!

katie June 8, 2010

do you have a good hummus recipe? i like it really creamy and really lemony… i’ve never been a chickpea fan but i will try this just because you said so! do they take on the flavor similar to what spinach does in fruit smoothies?

Yes exactly!

I have a 50 cent hummus recipe on my recipe page if you are interested :)

Steph June 8, 2010

Your graph killed me!! My in-race graph would be based entirely on the elevation of the course. I felt like the king of the world flying down the Sixth Line hill on the way back and thought I could keep going forever! ;) We need to find a race that’s all downhill.

PhysiqueSpeak June 8, 2010

yeah, im going to go ahead and say i probably wont try that combo, lol

Amy June 8, 2010

Haha! Ditto! No offense, Angela! :P

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010

you dont know what you are missing….gahhhhhhh!

Lana June 8, 2010

That looks soooo good!!!…and perfect for breakfast after an early morning workout. I know what i’m eating in the morning!! ;)

Dorry June 8, 2010

That looks so delicious! What a clever combo of tasty foods. I bet it would be fab with honey, too. I’ll try this soon :)

Stacy (StacyGrowsHealthy) June 8, 2010

Very interesting recipe. There are a lot of chickpea recipes coming out lately.

sarah June 8, 2010

I love canned chick peas. Usually when I use canned beans I give them a rinse under the tap so that I can wash off some of the preservatives they put in the cans.

jenny (Green Food Diaries) June 8, 2010

might be three of my favourite things put into one… maple flavour, chickpeas, and nut butter… genius.

Mary (A Merry Life) June 9, 2010

Woah. Never ever thought of doing something like that with chickpeas. I just bought some though so I might have to try it. :)

Page 1 of 212»