Feel The Burn, The Wind Burn

Good morning!

IMG_8877

This morning was a whirlwind in the bakery today! The mornings are always a bit crazy because I am rushing to get my orders out for the mail pick-up.

For one of my orders this morning, I was working on a custom BABY SHOWER order. I love doing these!

IMG_8858

I made up this custom label with a stork on it and my customer also came up with the name- the baby boy’s name is Henry so she thought O Henry would be cute.

IMG_8859

So fun.

IMG_8865

We did 4 different flavours in mini sized Glo Bars.

IMG_8873

and then I packaged them all up!

IMG_8874

I can’t wait to hear how the ladies like them.

IMG_8875 IMG_8876

This summer I am also doing up Glo Bars for wedding favours– that will be fun too. I love the idea of giving Glo Bars as party favours…I think they are a unique item to give as a thank-you.

Speaking of mail, I also had a fun delivery this morning. My running books arrived! I was the winning bidder on Brooke’s Cool Running Gift Pack in Shop 4 A Cause 2.

IMG_8868

The books I won are the following:

1) Complete Book of Beginning Running: Only in Runner’s World Complete Book of Beginning Running will you find everything you need to become a happy, healthy fitness runner including: how to stay motivated, what shoes to buy, what to eat before you run and after, how to prevent common injuries and much, much more! 2) Hal Higdon’s Smart Running: Expert advice on training, motivation, injury prevention, nutrition and good health. 3) How to Train for and Run Your Best Marathon: Tips for first timers on workouts and pacing, advice for experienced participants on setting a goal and achieving a personal best, information for all runners on cross training, nutrition, equipment and injury prevention.

IMG_8871

I’m excited to read them. I was glancing through the Runner’s World book (right) and it has a recommended food as DARK CHOCOLATE. I think I am going to like this book. :lol:

And because Brooke is such a sweetie, she sent me some fun TARGET plates, a bowl, and a cup!

IMG_8869 IMG_8872

The Crazy Dish Lady lives on… :devil: Thanks Brooke!

Breakfast this morning was Banana Soft Serve Vegan Overnight Oats!

IMG_8838

I made it with Chocolate Banana Soft Serve using 2 tbsp of cocoa powder processed into the frozen banana.

IMG_8841

Fun mix-ins included Nature’s Path Rice Crisp and Cacao Nibs!

IMG_8837

Rawr.

Feel The Burn

Want to know something weird that happened as a result of the try-a-tri race? I got wind burn on my face!

When we got home from the race, I noticed that my face was quite red and at first I thought that was due to exerting myself in the race or being cold. Well, a day passed and my face was still red, so I am pretty sure that I got wind burn when on the bike.

Wind burn is defined as, ‘redness and irritation of the skin caused by exposure to high-velocity wind.’ I guess I was just going too fast for my own good?! :tongue: hah..I joke, I joke. It doesn’t really surprise me that I would get wind burn because my skin flushes VERY easily and it is very sensitive.  It has been that way since I have been a child and has caused me a lot of grief in public situations! :blush: I blush at the thought of blushing. I blush if someone else blushes. I blush if I feel like I am put on the spot or I am anxious. It is annoying at times. Rosacea runs in my family though so it is not too surprising I guess.

Do you have sensitive skin or do you flush easily?

~~~

Well, I have more orders to bake and then I need to do a bunch of work on the upcoming Farmer’s Market! I haven’t had a chance to make my signs yet and I am a bit worried because I have no idea what to do for them. The director told me that anything HOMEMADE for signs at a market is good, so I guess I will have to find some time to make some signs.

I have a very delicious chick pea recipe coming up that will blow your mind. It is another ‘life changer’ if you know what I mean.

Have a great Tuesday!

Page 2 of 2«12
Maria Schade June 10, 2010

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the chickpeas with pnut butter and maple surple! I added some cinnamon to it today ( I made a double batch last night so I would have some for a snack mid-afternoon) and it was DELISH! Thank you!

And congrats on your Tri! You are amazing!!!

Maria (in Guam)

pam landy June 10, 2010

Finally catching up on my favorite blogs and got so excited to see the bars!!! They are ADORABLE! I cannot wait to see them in my mailbox. I think the ladies are going to love them :) Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Triathlonbabe aka Grace June 9, 2010

Too cute, I love that type of gift pack. I have that exact square bowl from Target. I love the shape of it, hubby not so much. He says it’s odd eating out of a square bowl…LOL! I’m shipping my items out to Debbie & Jami this weekend. I’ve had a hard time figuring out how to ship the crystals w/o them breaking while being shipped…eeek! I finally have them packaged up with plenty of tissue and bubble wrap, so crossing my fingers they will ship to Debbie all in one piece.

I love those tiny glo-bars, too cute and what a great prize to receive at a party!

I did a triathlon about 4 years ago, in January, it was a backwards tri, and it was 29 degrees that day….holy cow, having the swim as the last part of the race was nice because I literally felt like I thawed out. It was an indoor pool, so it was heated and wow, what a great feeling. Anywho, that evening my hubby noticed that my face was burned…I was like how’d that happen, it was freezing cold. Well, cycling an average of 14-15 mph in cold wind, I burned my face. I literally peeled like a sunburn. Eeek!

Jessie June 9, 2010

It’s so reassuring to read about someone else that blushes as much as I do! I’ve always hated it but I guess I need to remind myself it’s normal! I really enjoy reading your blog; thanks for all the great recipes and inspiring exercise and healthy-eating posts.

Helga June 9, 2010

I have always been a blusher and hated it. My mom said I would eventually out grow it. Nope!! I’m now 55 and still get red when I exercise, eat spicy food, drink wine or if attention is on me. I have been using skincare for sensitive skin by Evan Healy for nearly a year and it has really helped.
Love the recipes. I’ve been passing them on to my son and future daughter-in-law.

Janelle June 8, 2010

Oh my word, I blush at the drop of a hat, and I mean seriously beat red blush. I can’t hide anything! SO embarrassing sometimes.
I love the look of chalkboard signs with pretty colorful chalk-writing!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) June 8, 2010

Oh. My. Goodness!!!! When I have a baby, I am totally getting some custom glo-bars!!!!! What an awesome idea!!!!!!! I love giving favours out, and I had no idea you did custom orders!!!!!

Lindsay @ Summit Sandwiches June 8, 2010

I just bought those same dishes/bowl from Target! I heart them….It’s funny how becoming a blogger has made me become a crazy dish lady too. Gone are the days when I could stroll by kitchen stores without a second glance. Nowadays, I’m obsessively on the lookout for sales on dishes. My pantry is now stocked with all these beautiful, fun dishes that don’t stack on top of each other at all. I’m glad we can all be crazy dish ladies together. :)

My skin is quite fair, so I get windburn ALL the time. The worst is when I go skiing! I’m a speed demon, and I love the feeling of flying down the mountain. Too bad my face looks like a tomato for the next 24 hrs afterward. I’ve learned to embrace it. I’ve dubbed it my “mountain look”. :)

Kat June 8, 2010

Rosacea in my family and I am a blusher too. To combat flushing, I take 2 Benadryl tabs daily every morning and it reduces the histamine reaction in my face from exercise induced flushing.

My doctor suggested it to me. Works like a charm. Wish I knew about it in high school where I blushed ALOT!

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 8, 2010

I’m doing a baby shower in August and the baby’s name is Henry. It’s only for about 20 people but maybe since you are working on some right now I thought maybe I might be able to purchase about 20 of them just like those. If not that’s okay also.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 8, 2010

Yes for sure I can :) That would be fun. Just shoot me an email!

Amber K June 8, 2010

I have VERY sensistive skin. Rosacea to boot. No fun!

I’m not a huge chickpea fan, and yet…I’m super curious!

Annie June 8, 2010

The mini bars look SO cute!
We’re blushing twins.
I get on stage, I blush.
I’m put on the spot, I get flushed.
I exercise, I get splotchy.

Do you have any makeup tips to cover it up?

It may not look like it in my photographs but I really do have red cheeks!
It has gotten to the point where I flee from presentations in class because I get so overwhelmed by it. I’m a psychology major and can assume I’ll be put on the spot and need to speak to a lot of people in the future. Ah! It kills me :/ haha

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 8, 2010

When I want to make sure I hide redness, I use a thick concealer. Like for example, when I did my TV interview I wore a thick concealer. I think it is a Vichy product but I am not positive.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter June 8, 2010

I’m sorry to hear about your windburn. My skin is so sensitive it’s embarrassing. If I clean out my fish tank and miss a spot on my arms where the water hit, I’ll get a rash. If I’m outside in the sun and sweating, I’ll get a rash. It’s just not very fun :(

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 8, 2010

Oh Lordy those chickpeas look amazing!!! Sometimes the simplest recipes make for the best dishes. and I love that chart, yet again! “This is NOT how I want to die” lmho!!
Those mini glo bars are cute..the Oh Henry’s look so delicious! What’s in them? I can’t tell if that’s a macadamia nut or a marshmellow. I’m not sure if marshmellows are vegan though so I’m going to guess nut. Either way it’d be absolutely delicious!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 8, 2010

I’m so excited for glo bar wedding favors!! Those mini baby shower ones are adorable :D

xo
K

Stacy (StacyGrowsHealthy) June 8, 2010

Those bars look very cute. I like the stork on the packaging. Baby showers are so fun!

Eimear Rose June 8, 2010

I am such a blusher- I was born blushing, hence my middle name, Rose. I hate it when I do any sort of exercise, my whole face goes dark red, I always look like I’m completely puffed even when I’m ok! My skin gets really warm very quickly like that, but cools very rapidly too, I have Raynaud’s, where my extremities go purple then white. And I have permanent dark eye circles, they’re genetic (my little 11 year old brother even has them).

Nicole @ Making Good Choices June 8, 2010

Can’t wait for the new chickpea recipe…I want my life to be changed :)

Bekah June 8, 2010

Love the mini Glow Bars! Yes, I very fair skin so I flush so easily…not my best trait ;)
Can’t wait for the new chickpea recipe!

sara June 8, 2010

Ugh! I blush so easily and I hate it!! My face and the top of my chest gets splotchy. I can be feeling really confident in a situation, but slightly nervous or just a little uncomfortable and here comes the splotchies. Sometimes I do not even notice it, until someone else points it out and they think I am embarrassed. When really, it usually has nothing to do with embarrassment at all.

Love the mini glo bars as shower gifts by the way !

Cynthia (It All Changes) June 8, 2010

I have very sensitive skin and have gotten wind burn before. Not a fun feeling.

Camille June 8, 2010

What a great idea for a baby shower!
I feel like this is totally something I would do :)

Taylor S. June 8, 2010

I blush so easily! It’s quite annoying. I turn red as soon as I am put on the spot, then I notice that all eyes are on me, then I realize I’m getting red in front of everyone so I get redder! Its a never ending cycle ;)

Kate June 8, 2010

You wouldn’t know you suffer from redness, your skin looks so pretty!

I blush all the time! It can be really annoying, especially at work when I’m flustered and I blush. Like my face is holding up a sign saying “Kate is out of her element right now!” I’m also having a hard time with going to the gym before work. I like to workout pretty hard, and my face will stay red until an hour or two after I have been sitting at the desk. I wonder what my coworkers are thinking with my flushed face?

Andrea [Sweet N Green] June 8, 2010

I love that your breakfast looks like dessert! I’m going to freeze some bananas so I can make that soon :)

I was just doing a google search for some new recipes with chick peas too so I can’t wait to see what you have coming!!

JILL June 8, 2010

I have rosacea too. I use a cream from the dermatologist-finacea. He told me my skin would become thickenedpre mature aging if I didnt treat it.Well it works great and I blush less often. Good luck

Katie June 8, 2010

yes! i feel your pain. my boss said to me today “katie i love it because you blush when someone LOOKS at you!”

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 8, 2010

ughhhh that is the worst!

katie June 8, 2010

yes, especially because the fun game at work is “try to make katie blush.” it makes me want to scream and hide in embarrassment because i know i just get so red! i feel your pain, girl.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 8, 2010

omg you are joking me!! I would die…seriously ppl who don’t have the problem don’t understand I guess. It is not fun!
In highschool I was so insecure about it, I used to use green foundation…turns out it just made my skin green looking :( lol

Jane June 8, 2010

Hi! I have never posted before but have been reading your blog for a few months now. LOVE IT. You sound like a great girl and are quite an inspiration. I really appreciate that you admit to self doubts etc, because hey, who doesnt??! I am having a horrific day at work dealing with a horrible co worker and just read over your whole experience. I was in tears this morning but after reading your whole story I know I can carry on. I am leaving in a month and a half and know I can find the strength to be the bigger person. aah, ok i am getting all cheesy but just THANK YOU! keep on keepin on!

oh i forgot, the whole reason i was posting was to say that i am affected by rosacea myself and so completely understand how it is. try going skiing, i am red for days!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 8, 2010

Thanks for your nice comment…I wish you all the best with you upcoming transition!