Feel The Burn, The Wind Burn

Good morning!

IMG 8877 thumb   Feel The Burn, The Wind Burn

This morning was a whirlwind in the bakery today! The mornings are always a bit crazy because I am rushing to get my orders out for the mail pick-up.

For one of my orders this morning, I was working on a custom BABY SHOWER order. I love doing these!

IMG 8858 thumb   Feel The Burn, The Wind Burn

I made up this custom label with a stork on it and my customer also came up with the name- the baby boy’s name is Henry so she thought O Henry would be cute.

IMG 8859 thumb   Feel The Burn, The Wind Burn

So fun.

IMG 8865 thumb   Feel The Burn, The Wind Burn

We did 4 different flavours in mini sized Glo Bars.

IMG 8873 thumb   Feel The Burn, The Wind Burn

and then I packaged them all up!

IMG 8874 thumb   Feel The Burn, The Wind Burn

I can’t wait to hear how the ladies like them.

IMG 8875 thumb   Feel The Burn, The Wind Burn IMG 8876 thumb   Feel The Burn, The Wind Burn

This summer I am also doing up Glo Bars for wedding favours- that will be fun too. I love the idea of giving Glo Bars as party favours…I think they are a unique item to give as a thank-you.

Speaking of mail, I also had a fun delivery this morning. My running books arrived! I was the winning bidder on Brooke’s Cool Running Gift Pack in Shop 4 A Cause 2.

IMG 8868 thumb   Feel The Burn, The Wind Burn

The books I won are the following:

1) Complete Book of Beginning Running: Only in Runner’s World Complete Book of Beginning Running will you find everything you need to become a happy, healthy fitness runner including: how to stay motivated, what shoes to buy, what to eat before you run and after, how to prevent common injuries and much, much more! 2) Hal Higdon’s Smart Running: Expert advice on training, motivation, injury prevention, nutrition and good health. 3) How to Train for and Run Your Best Marathon: Tips for first timers on workouts and pacing, advice for experienced participants on setting a goal and achieving a personal best, information for all runners on cross training, nutrition, equipment and injury prevention.

IMG 8871 thumb   Feel The Burn, The Wind Burn

I’m excited to read them. I was glancing through the Runner’s World book (right) and it has a recommended food as DARK CHOCOLATE. I think I am going to like this book. :lol:

And because Brooke is such a sweetie, she sent me some fun TARGET plates, a bowl, and a cup!

IMG 8869 thumb   Feel The Burn, The Wind Burn IMG 8872 thumb   Feel The Burn, The Wind Burn

The Crazy Dish Lady lives on… :devil: Thanks Brooke!

Breakfast this morning was Banana Soft Serve Vegan Overnight Oats!

IMG 8838 thumb   Feel The Burn, The Wind Burn

I made it with Chocolate Banana Soft Serve using 2 tbsp of cocoa powder processed into the frozen banana.

IMG 8841 thumb   Feel The Burn, The Wind Burn

Fun mix-ins included Nature’s Path Rice Crisp and Cacao Nibs!

IMG 8837 thumb   Feel The Burn, The Wind Burn

Rawr.

Feel The Burn

Want to know something weird that happened as a result of the try-a-tri race? I got wind burn on my face!

When we got home from the race, I noticed that my face was quite red and at first I thought that was due to exerting myself in the race or being cold. Well, a day passed and my face was still red, so I am pretty sure that I got wind burn when on the bike.

Wind burn is defined as, ‘redness and irritation of the skin caused by exposure to high-velocity wind.’ I guess I was just going too fast for my own good?! :tongue: hah..I joke, I joke. It doesn’t really surprise me that I would get wind burn because my skin flushes VERY easily and it is very sensitive.  It has been that way since I have been a child and has caused me a lot of grief in public situations! :blush: I blush at the thought of blushing. I blush if someone else blushes. I blush if I feel like I am put on the spot or I am anxious. It is annoying at times. Rosacea runs in my family though so it is not too surprising I guess.

Do you have sensitive skin or do you flush easily?

~~~

Well, I have more orders to bake and then I need to do a bunch of work on the upcoming Farmer’s Market! I haven’t had a chance to make my signs yet and I am a bit worried because I have no idea what to do for them. The director told me that anything HOMEMADE for signs at a market is good, so I guess I will have to find some time to make some signs.

I have a very delicious chick pea recipe coming up that will blow your mind. It is another ‘life changer’ if you know what I mean.

Have a great Tuesday!

Heather (Heather's Dish) June 8, 2010

i love the mini bars! so cute :) i luckily don’t have easily irritated skin…except with sunburns and mosquito bites. but no chaffing here, thank goodness!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 8, 2010

Yum, those oats look amazing!!! I think I’m going to try the banana soft serve today, hopefully my blender is up to the challenge :)
Those mini Glo Bars are TOO CUTE!!!

Kristina June 8, 2010

oh! those Oh Henry packs are SO cute! that would be the crazy fun part of having a bakery. :)

yay for More Fun Plates !

Steph (@mediterraneanmiss) June 8, 2010

Very cute O Henry bars! What a sweet idea :) I love the idea of wedding favors too! I feel like it would be difficult to find an occasion where a globar wouldn’t be welcome ;)

I’m so sorry for the windburn D: that sounds really uncomfortable! At the same time though, it’s almost a cool thing to be able to say ;D you’re a legend: “Oh, Angela? Yeah she biked so hard she gave herself WINDBURN, man. Hardcore.” hahaha. I know that Aveda makes an awesome face cream that you can use before you apply makeup/just to hydrate. It’d probably do you good <3

Your breakfasts, as always, are absolutely drool-inducing. I'm dying for lunch at work just looking at it. I'm really looking forward to that chick pea recipe!!

Jenn (GH) June 8, 2010

Those little glo bars are adorable.j

My skin is moody like me. ;-)

Dorry June 8, 2010

I have extremely sensitive skin! Bright red, splotchy, you name it. Usually has to do with my body temperature. I love the mini Glo Bars and I’m also excited to hear reviews on those books!

Helen June 8, 2010

Oh no wind burn is so annoying! When I was working at the British F1 last year it was so cold and windy that I didn’t notice that the sun was out and after 3 days I got massive wind burn. What’s worse, I was wearing my glasses so had a very unattractive glasses tan line! I would love to get Glo Bars at a wedding, it’s a great idea. Plus Homemade is a great sign for a Farmers market – it will lure loads of people in. Did you have to apply for a table / stand at the Farmer’s market?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 8, 2010

Yup, it was a big application process and they have very strict guidelines for acceptance, esp. because this is an organic market. They also inspect the kitchen and look at your receipts for proof of organic ingredients. I just need to figure out how I will set everything up! That part is a bit stressful because I have never done it before. We had to buy a canopy tent and we need to pick up a 6 ft table too.

Kristin (Salty Tooth) June 8, 2010

Cute baby shower bars! What a fun idea.

Ameena June 8, 2010

I love the mini-glo bar idea…I’m not sure if you saw my comment a while back but I can’t eat nuts so if you ever sell a nut-free bar I will surely be your best customer.

I have sensitive skin but I don’t think I’ve ever had wind burn! Sounds quite painful!

Nancy June 8, 2010

I’m pretty much the exact same when it comes to blushing. Thankfully you didn’t see me once you passed by me on your run at the try-a-tri. I blushed as soon as I was done yelling out to you! HAHA!

I blush when others blush and I have a bit of rosey cheeks naturally (I try to cover that up though), we’ll be blushing all night long if we hang ever out, haha!

Sarah @ cocoanutshakes June 8, 2010

Those mini bars are ADORABLE!!

I have suppperrr sensitive skin…trying to change that by not drinking coffee and having way more veggies…trial and error!

Kara @ MyWellnest June 8, 2010

How cool to have GLO bars as a wedding or baby shower favor!!!

I’m super sensitive to mosquito bites, they swell up and stick around forever!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 8, 2010

I hope those bars taste like Oh Henry’s!

Ilana June 8, 2010

Not gonna lie, when/if I’m having a baby shower, I’m prob gonna remember this and place an order (that is, if you’re still baking by that time)!

I have really sensitive skin – it’s always been dry and I break out very easily. It’s such a hassle to find cleansers I can use.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 8, 2010

haha that is cute!

Amanda June 8, 2010

Those Globars are the best idea ever!! I think I may have some of the most sensitive skin out there :( besides just bad skin – acne, big pores – I blush easily, I flush easy when I exert myself. Like you said can leave you in quite embarrassing situations at times! Ive been battling my bad skin for years – thought if I could at least get it cleared up I would only have one bad feature to deal with but have not had much luck.
On another note – I am healing a bad ankle injury i suffered on a run last week and have been so enjoying all of your try-a-tri recaps!! You are truly an inspiration! You both did a great job :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 8, 2010

Sorry about your ankle! I hope you heal fast. Thanks for your congrats too!

Ashley June 8, 2010

Ahh love those mini bars. Waaay too cute!! You also need to add the book Born To Run to that collection :) It changed my ENTIRE view on running! Can’t wait for the chickpea recipe!

Wei-Wei June 8, 2010

The mini-bars are SO CUTE! I love that you’re doing orders for baby showers and weddings. I think that Glo Bars would be the perfect party favour ;)

I don’t have sensitive skin, and I’ve never heard of wind burn! It sounds painful, though. I hope it gets better soon :(

Wei-Wei

Miranda @ Mirandasjeans June 8, 2010

All my life I’ve suffered from eczema. It’s made the rounds of my body, all completely results of stress. It’s a major pain in the butt!

Sunday I was suffering from some mild mild wind burn on my shins. I wore capris pants on my run, as I hate when the bottoms of my pants get wet from running in the rain. I they were pretty red, and itchy. My husband threatened to put oven mits over my hands and duct tape them like what happened to Callie on Grey’s lol.

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! June 8, 2010

Glo Bars: What Can’t They Do?

Such a great idea! Now that is a party favour I’d get excited about.

Morgan @ Life After Bagels June 8, 2010

O . . . M . . . G . . . I cannot tell you how HARD I laughed at the devil emoticon after “crazy dish lady lives on”

I flush soooo easily. In fact if I get uncomfortable in any way I start getting hives on my chest. I used to get them on first dates, luckily I don’t have to go on dates anymore. Sometimes at work if I’m having a suuuuuper intense conversation with someone (which can be often since I’m a manager) the hives start creeping up my neck. If I could, I’d wear turtlenecks every day of my life!

kellyO June 8, 2010

I have Rosacea and very sensitive skin. It is such a headache, I live in a very dry climate with lots of wind and cold. Ugg…

Run Sarah June 8, 2010

What amazing shower favours! I love the way you packaged them up. I blush pretty easily as well, especially when I am flustered. It’s embarrassing! I dont have the Asian flush with alcohol, though! So excited for this chickpea recipe!!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 8, 2010

I hope you do a post on what you think of those books! :)

Cute dishes. I wish we had a Target here!

Therese June 8, 2010

LOVE the idea of Glo bars as party favours! *stores in memory bank*

I don’t have sensitive skin but I do blush very easily! Fair skin + red hair = blushes a LOT!

Oh! And I got The Complete Book of Running for Christmas, it’s not too bad and includes some great safety tips for women runners.

Kim @ Eat and Be June 8, 2010

Good luck preparing for the farmer’s market. Reading about your business endeavours reminds me a lot of what I have done over the past 5 yrs. (I recently sold my food business). In regards to the farmer’s market, just do your best for your first outting, you can always revise and improve after you see what is out there!

As for sensitive skin…yes I do! Last night I could feel my cheeks getting redder/hotter when I was the center of attention at a group dinner (ugh!). Alcohol really effects it too (making my face redder), so I indulge in moderation!

Bridget June 8, 2010

O Henry Glo Bars! That is such a cute name. And I’m certain the ladies will love em’ :) I have pretty sensitive skin in terms of dryness and facial products, but I also tend to breakout at times. I find using natural products without harsh chemicals minimizes this problem though.

Looking forward to the chickpea recipe!

Jessica @ How Sweet June 8, 2010

Those mini bars are just too cute!

AGS June 8, 2010

Love the favors.

Also, I thought this was about the coolest vegan event I have ever heard of: http://www.dcvegan.com/2010/06/vegan-cookie-feed-in-next-tuesday/

Claire June 8, 2010

Wow, those glo bars are adorable…

The running books sound and look great. I love Hal Higdon and Amby Burfoot so I know those two will be great!

I definitely have sensitive skin that flushes early…it is the english/scottish/irish…

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman June 8, 2010

That’s an awesome baby shower or wedding shower gift! I have super sensitive skin and even some chemicals or fragrance in skin care products can set it off. Organic, fragrance-free stuff works best for me.

Lauren June 8, 2010

The glo bar favors are SUCH a cute idea! My skin is olive and sooo far from being sensitive. I’m sorry that happened to you, but I think it just makes you sound more hardcore!

jen June 8, 2010

Ack! My skin is so sensitive. I also blush at the slightest thing! I hate it, and it gives me away, and I hate it even more when people point out to me that I am blushing (duh!) and then I blush even more. Also, I have Rosacea, and other than staying on antibiotics on and off for all time, my dermatologist doesn’t have any other suggestions for controlling it. I tried a homeopathic gel found in drug stores, but it made my skin dry out and itch and redder than usual within three days. I give up!

KatieTX June 8, 2010

I feel your pain. If I laugh really hard I turn bright red and then people make fun of me for it, then I just get redder! It is horrible! Getting flushed easily is not fun.

Katelyn June 8, 2010

Hey Angela! I’m a newbie to your blog and I find it really amazing that you live so close to me! I think everyone else’s blogs I read are from the states, so having an Ontario-centric voice in the mix is wonderful :) I was wondering which Farmer’s Market you are going to be at and when it will start? I live in Grimsby and I have been looking for a good organic market in the region for a while!

Also, I am regular triathlete and I love that you tried your first event! I bet you have the tri bug now right? So when’s the next one? ;)

Jen June 8, 2010

O Henry bars — how cute!

I, too, have sensitive skin. Never fun in cold and windy weather… I sympathize. Consider it the trophy for successfully completing the try-a-tri?! :-D

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 8, 2010

aww i love the mini glo bars, they’re so cute! i hope you recover from the wind burn soon! my skin isn’t really that sensitive but i can imagine it probably stings quite a bit. and i’m definitely making some of that banana soft serve soon! :)

Cristin June 8, 2010

Love the baby Glo Bars!

I turn so red when I run. EXTREMELY red. To the point where people ask me if I am OK and tell me to “slow down”. It’s so frustrating!

Michal June 8, 2010

Super cute Glo Bars! My obsessed brain (any excuse to imagine having kids AND planning a party menu+ take-home gifts) is now over-excited. Ha.
I have to admit – the signs at a Farmer’s Market DO draw me in – especially if they are well-written and a little funny – but that’s just me. I’m sure there are others who just want quick and snappy.
I’ve stopped to stare at that exact Target plate several times…. I’m still resisting. Someday I’ll have an excuse to buy lots of gorgeous dishware…. and the money for it :-D But I’m really hoping to buy “real” dishes because I’m trying to cut down on plastic, and that’s the main thing empowering me to resist buying the cute dishes at Target.
I am addicted to chickpeas, so you have me waiting on the edge of my seat!

Allison June 8, 2010

What a great idea to give at a baby shower. Good for you! Such great advertising for your business.
CAN NOT WAIT FOR THE RECIPE!!!

Annie@stronghealthyfit June 8, 2010

I wish I had your life! Making healthy baked goods and having people buy them… and selling them at Farmer’s Markets! You rock.
Also, I blush VERY easily, and it is something that developed as I went through high school. It is really embarrassing, but it is good to know I’m not the only one! I just try to breath deeply :-)

Karen June 8, 2010

Hey, I was just curious–in the first pics of the O Henry Glo Bars, the bars contain large, white(ish?) chunks of something and I was trying to figure out what it was…banana, marshmallows…? I need to know, hahaha! :D Thanks.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 8, 2010

They are my ADORE GLo bars (S’more!) :)

Karen June 8, 2010

Thanks! They look delicious btw. :)

Pam landy June 10, 2010

They are delicious, be prepared to become addicted!

Page 1 of 212»