CSA Delight

Hello there!

Our Plan B Organic CSA Share began last night! It was pretty much torture waiting all day long until our evening pick-up time…

IMG_8481

This is the first time we have ever had a CSA share, so I was really excited to get started.

Here are the types of foods that are in season in June in this area. I bolded what we received.

June Asparagus, Baby Salad Mix, Lettuce, Spinach (?), Green Onions, Radishes, Greenhouse Tomato & Cucumber, Strawberries, Swiss Chard, Kale, Broccoli, Shiitake Mushrooms, Beets, Sugar Snap Peas, new potatoes, Carrots + apples.

We have a half share which is enough for 1-2 people, however I could easily chomp my way through a full share I’m sure! :biggrin:

I love knowing that these foods come from local organic farmers working hard every single day to try and make a difference in the system. It feels good to support their efforts and get some fresh organic produce in the process.

IMG_8483

I’m not sure what the greens are on the left…spinach??

I handled this food ever so carefully when I put it away.

I stare at it in awe, I appreciate it, and I try and think about how I will use it.

IMG_8489

Any ideas? :biggrin: Maybe we can make this a weekly challenge- ‘Help Ange build a recipe from her CSA produce!’

I was really hoping I was going to find some kale in the bag because our local grocery stores don’t carry organic kale. Maybe next week though.

IMG_8491

These are the cutest little apples I have ever seen….bumps and marks and lots of character!

IMG_8496

After caressing my produce, I made breakfast!

IMG_8361

I had some Vegan Overnight Oats ‘marinating’ in the fridge (it was a triple batch) so I just scooped out a serving, mashed a big banana into the bowl (with a fork), and topped it with shredded coconut and my coconut oil + maple syrup dressing (1/2 tbsp coconut oil + 1/2 tbsp maple syrup).

IMG_8358

I used to look at overnight oats and CRINGE at the thought. Now I am completely in love. Funny how things turn out. If I had a dime for every email that I got from new Green Monster lovers that said ‘I thought those green drinks looked SO gross…and then I tried one and fell in love. Now I drink one every morning!’

IMG_8365

I must admit I am missing my Green Monsters! As you may know my Kitchen Aid blender is broken once again. I am trying to decide if I am going to go BIG with a Vitamix or a Blendtec OR if I am going to try a mid-range brand that I have heard good things about (Oster, Hamilton Beach, or  Breville). Decisions, decisions!

This morning I worked on shipments, ordering stock, and baking. Before I knew it, I was hungry for lunch!

IMG_8413 (2)

I had an Ezekiel wrap filled with about 1 cup of Navy Beans, pasta sauce, mixed veggies, dried parsley, and ground pepper and sea salt.

IMG_8408 (2)

Mmmmmm.

IMG_8410 (2)

I also had a juicy apple.

IMG_4943

Afternoon snack will be this guy…

IMG_4964

Have you ever supported local farmers either through a CSA or by going to a Farmer’s Market? Do you find that your city or town has a lot of access to local and/or organic products? Why or why not?

Have a Terrific Thursday!

Page 3 of 3«123
Allison June 21, 2010

Hi Angela! A fellow blogger is hosting a “Cooking Away My CSA” challenge and I think it is such a great idea! Just thought you might want to check it out!

Melissa June 4, 2010

Ok, these banana soft serve overnight oats are getting ridiculous..

…ridiculously good, that is. : )

Kimberly June 4, 2010

I live in Orlando and we don’t have any CSAs in the area, but there’s an organic food delivery service (Orlando Organics) that I used to use… we stopped after a few months of 1) extremely quickly rotting fruit, 2) organic fruit with stickers labeled “Product of Chile/Mexico/some other foreign country”, 3) realizing we could buy the SAME BRANDS of organic produce at Publix for cheaper.

Here’s a question – why do so many farmer’s markets sell produce from very far away? We have a big market in Winter Park (Florida) that has a lot of local stuff, but they also bring in Michigan blueberries (that look like they were just purchased at the grocery store) and other out-of-season/non-regional stuff.

Blenders: I have the Oster “Osterizer Classic” and it has problems with tougher food. It takes a lot of liquid for me to make banana soft serve, and doesn’t chop the greens up finely enough to make a green monster drinkable (it’s REALLY hard to swallow a chunky green monster…). Plus every time I use it, it makes a burning plastic smell (like the motor is running too hot and the blades can’t spin fast enough b/c there’s too much solid food in the bottom of the blender). If I replace my blender, I’m totally going with the VITAMIX because even my non-raw-food-blog-reading friends recommend it to me :)

Jodi June 4, 2010

woohoo! the tri is coming up soon! I did a mini triathlon 5 years ago and it was a thrill to finish! although we swam in a pool i couldn’t imagine the open water swim! sounds like you are up for the challenge and im positive you will do great! I have a quick question and im sure you are the best to ask, its about amazing grass, which do you prefer! the amazing meal or the superfood? should i opt for the wheat grass as well??
Thanks hun!

Ayla June 4, 2010

Get the vitamix! Youll never regret it! My only regret is going through twenty other blenders before the vita- it seriously is heaven;) Im also so amazed at the courage you guys have to do the tri- good luck!!

Sam June 4, 2010

I agree, those mystery greens look like chard – rainbow or red. I prepare it the way some other ladies said: cooked with a bit of olive oil, garlic, and a dash of salt. I basically treat the stalks like celery. Chard is mild enough to eat in a salad. Other times I’ll tear it up and throw it in a pot of lentils or a soup. I really like it.

We’re doing a CSA for the first time this year, too, and totally loving it! You have more variety than we do, though. It all looks so good!

jenna June 4, 2010

i love CSA its such an awesome way to support your local farms. it also forces you to try new produce and be creative preparing it! i hope you enjoy your veggie bag! :)

Annie D. from Annie'sSimpleLife June 4, 2010

My CSA starts TODAY!!!!! I haven’t done one before either and am SOOO EXCITED (bounces in seat). It will be interesting figuring out what on EARTH I’m going to make with what we get, but it’ll sure be nummy!!!! Nom Nom Nom!!! Happy Friday, my dear!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life June 4, 2010

I have a local Farmers Market that I try to go to every Saturday morning. It’s always so fun to just walk around, browsing the goods, and seeing everyone in support of our local farmers!

I totally feel your pain with an MIA blender. Mine “crapped out” on me a couple days ago, and I’m trying to decide what one I want to invest in. I’d LOVE to get a vita mix, but I’m just not sure it’s in the cards for me right now. I had a few people recommend the Ninja to me…have you heard anything about that one?

Meg June 4, 2010

I’ve always wanted to try those vegetable boxes, I think it’s cool because whenever you get them, you have to challenge yourself to use up all the different veggies in different ways.

I love going to the farmers market, it’s one of my favourite things. Buying local organic produce just tastes so much better and it even feels more energizing!

PS I like your idea for the maple syrup and coconut oil!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 4, 2010

Ahh I love CSA shares, I wish we could get them in our apartment, but no one to recieve! :(

Ah, the blender decision. I’ve been having that issue myself. I LOVE my Oster fusion, but it is wearing out after a couple of years… and we use them in class (possible because my chef’ food network show was sponsored by oster but that is neither here nor there…) BUT a vitamix is SO cool… yet so expensive. So hard!

xo
K

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life June 4, 2010

I got the Oster fusion blender back in Decemeber, and I wasn’t that impressed! It never seemed like it fit into the base very well, and it would take at least 3 tries of the “blended drinks” button to finally get everything blended. Then the other day, I went to lift it off the base (while it was full), and the entire bottom fell out! Into the garbage it went!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 4, 2010

That’s so strange! I DID have the problem with it not fitting into the base well, but I hope my bottom doesn’t fall off!

Steph (@ mediterraneanmiss) June 4, 2010

I agree with Hayley. Go for the vitamix, girl! It’s a part of what you do for a living, after all ^~ You deserve the best work tools!

Your delivery looks amazing. There’s a pick up point near me and I’m seriously considering signing up for the one that takes place from here-October. Decisions, decisions…
xo

Hayley June 4, 2010

I think you should probably get the Vita. As a successful food blogger, you’ve earned the right. Think of the smooth green monsters…

Nicole June 3, 2010

My CSA share begins on Tuesday, can’t wait!

TiaMarie June 3, 2010

I love the idea of a CSA, unfortunately there isn’t one close enough to me, and it would cost me too much to have it delivered. Sounds amazing though! Maybe when the husband and I finally buy a house and settle down we will look into relocating to a place that is closer to a CSA.

Diana @ frontyardfoodie June 3, 2010

how gorgeous!! I love fresh food!

I grow kale and can only say there’s nothing nothing nothing like fresh organic kale. I truly hope you do get some!

Lindsey @ Sound Eats June 3, 2010

I got an Oster blender for a bridal shower gift (prob in the $40 range?) and it lasted a year. I apparently blended it to oblivion. I was so hesitant to buy a Vita, but I think my husband got tired of hearing me whine about my old crappy Oster, so he bought me the VitaMix for Christmas. Definitely a big chunk of change, but I don’t regret it at all. He actually loves using it too…closest thing to a power tool in the kitchen? lol

I’m also pretty sure that the blender that Ryan (greens for good) had before her VitaMix was an Oster, too.

Kristin (Salty Tooth) June 3, 2010

Love CSAs. Last year I received swiss chard for the first time. It’s always a fun challenge to figure out what you can make with all of the produce.

katherine June 3, 2010

P.S. Chard works just fine in Green monsters!

katherine June 3, 2010

Oooh… looks like you have some chard on the left (although I’m sure others have already mentioned that….nothing like having the whole bloggosphere looking to help you identify unknown veggies). Good in anything that spinach is….although not quite as tasty IMO. I like to steam it and stick it in sauces like spaghetti sauce.

AGS June 3, 2010

I am an avid supporter of locally produced food — and visit our local farmer’s market for in-season produce (as well as everything from meats and cheeses, to jams, etc.) several times a month. There are some stalls that feature organic produce, and the price isn’t much more than the non-organic produce. But I tend not to worry as much about pesticides when purchasing from small farms. The cost of organic certification is prohibitively high for many (especially when you count the hours required for paperwork), and most small farms use much less pesticides than the larger industrial farms — some to the extent that they would almost count as organic (but don’t bother with certification). I never tried a CSA, because my husband and I have such hectic work schedules, that I am always in fear of food going bad in the fridge.

I kind of feel I am supporting a local farm when I visit my parents in Philadelphia. My mom and dad are huge into community gardens, and own a plot, as well as assist with the larger garden. I usually come home from the middle of Philly with fresh produce — once my husband and I brought a praying mantis back with us in the lettuces. That was quite the surprise! (and I was happy — that is my favorite insect!)

As for what to do with your new goodies: I think you should try lettuce wrap sandwiches. Use the big lettuce leaves to hold your goodies (include shredded veggies/fruits inside). I like marinated tofu or seasoned tuna with shredded/chopped mango (or some other fruit), carrot, avocado, ground nuts — all rolled up in a lettuce leaf and dipped in vinagrette. Ahhhh!

Katherine June 3, 2010

This probably doesn’t count as a real comment, but I love the color scheme and motif through all the pictures. Very relaxing on the eyes to view…

Juli June 3, 2010

I will definitely be doing a CSA in the near future. I just need to stick around long enough to receive shipments!

Also, go for the Vitamix/Blendtec blender. I know you don’t like to spend big, but it is so worth it. You probably don’t think of yourself this way, but you are a professional CHEF. If anyone deserves a top of the line blender, it is you!

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 3, 2010

I get organic produce delivered every 2 weeks, love it so fresh and local. I also love the farmers markets during the summer.

Tricia June 3, 2010

My boyfriend just got me an Oster Professional Series Blender…It is AWESOME!
So fast and so smooth, I definitely recommend it!

Sharon June 3, 2010

I have a Hamilton Beach Blender that I use daily for my Green Smoothies (2 portions as my fella also drinks and loves them…yeah, he can’t believe it either!) and it never fails. Highly recommend it if you’re not looking to drop 500 big ones. Got it at the Bay.

Alycia @ Fit n Fresh June 3, 2010

I would seriously LOVE a CSA! I think there is one around here, but it doesn’t start until late june! sad face…