CSA Delight

Hello there!

Our Plan B Organic CSA Share began last night! It was pretty much torture waiting all day long until our evening pick-up time…

IMG_8481

This is the first time we have ever had a CSA share, so I was really excited to get started.

Here are the types of foods that are in season in June in this area. I bolded what we received.

June Asparagus, Baby Salad Mix, Lettuce, Spinach (?), Green Onions, Radishes, Greenhouse Tomato & Cucumber, Strawberries, Swiss Chard, Kale, Broccoli, Shiitake Mushrooms, Beets, Sugar Snap Peas, new potatoes, Carrots + apples.

We have a half share which is enough for 1-2 people, however I could easily chomp my way through a full share I’m sure! :biggrin:

I love knowing that these foods come from local organic farmers working hard every single day to try and make a difference in the system. It feels good to support their efforts and get some fresh organic produce in the process.

IMG_8483

I’m not sure what the greens are on the left…spinach??

I handled this food ever so carefully when I put it away.

I stare at it in awe, I appreciate it, and I try and think about how I will use it.

IMG_8489

Any ideas? :biggrin: Maybe we can make this a weekly challenge- ‘Help Ange build a recipe from her CSA produce!’

I was really hoping I was going to find some kale in the bag because our local grocery stores don’t carry organic kale. Maybe next week though.

IMG_8491

These are the cutest little apples I have ever seen….bumps and marks and lots of character!

IMG_8496

After caressing my produce, I made breakfast!

IMG_8361

I had some Vegan Overnight Oats ‘marinating’ in the fridge (it was a triple batch) so I just scooped out a serving, mashed a big banana into the bowl (with a fork), and topped it with shredded coconut and my coconut oil + maple syrup dressing (1/2 tbsp coconut oil + 1/2 tbsp maple syrup).

IMG_8358

I used to look at overnight oats and CRINGE at the thought. Now I am completely in love. Funny how things turn out. If I had a dime for every email that I got from new Green Monster lovers that said ‘I thought those green drinks looked SO gross…and then I tried one and fell in love. Now I drink one every morning!’

IMG_8365

I must admit I am missing my Green Monsters! As you may know my Kitchen Aid blender is broken once again. I am trying to decide if I am going to go BIG with a Vitamix or a Blendtec OR if I am going to try a mid-range brand that I have heard good things about (Oster, Hamilton Beach, or  Breville). Decisions, decisions!

This morning I worked on shipments, ordering stock, and baking. Before I knew it, I was hungry for lunch!

IMG_8413 (2)

I had an Ezekiel wrap filled with about 1 cup of Navy Beans, pasta sauce, mixed veggies, dried parsley, and ground pepper and sea salt.

IMG_8408 (2)

Mmmmmm.

IMG_8410 (2)

I also had a juicy apple.

IMG_4943

Afternoon snack will be this guy…

IMG_4964

Have you ever supported local farmers either through a CSA or by going to a Farmer’s Market? Do you find that your city or town has a lot of access to local and/or organic products? Why or why not?

Have a Terrific Thursday!

1 Camille June 3, 2010

I have always wanted to do a CSA, but there aren’t any in my neck of the woods. I am hoping that when I move in September there will be one closer!

2 Jessica @ How Sweet June 3, 2010

I really want to do a CSA! I don’t like veggies much though, I wish I could request that I get all kale all the time…lol.

3 Heather (Heather's Dish) June 3, 2010

nom nom nom to everything on this post…i want to use a company here called door to door organics, but i’m just scared to pay the price if i don’t use all the food! yours sounds so good :)

4 Therese June 3, 2010

My boyfriend and I did an organic delivery for a while and I LOVED it! I seriously thought about nothing else on delivery days and it was like Santa was visiting when the guy would knock on my door! There’s nothing like a dude hand delivering fresh organic produce to you!

My only beef with the organics delivery is that they aren’t like a CSA in that they deliver strictly from local farmers. They START at the local level and branch out. So although I was getting staple food like apples and such, they were from CHILE! I’d MUCH rather go with a CSA or just head over to the Farmer’s Market. That (and the fact that my boyfriend was in between jobs at the time) was the biggest reason we stopped getting it.

5 Lindsay June 3, 2010

The greens on the left look like ruby chard- yum!!!!

6 Lindsay June 3, 2010

If you are looking for a way to cook them up they are delicious sauteed with garlic and olive oil and are wonderful juiced with those apples and cucumber.

7 Carolyn @ lovinlosing June 3, 2010

I was thinking of doing the local CSA. Only $322 for now through October. But..maybe next year.

8 Melodie June 3, 2010

The greens on the left look like some I got at my local farmer’s market 2 weeks ago. The lady said it is called Russian Kale :) Looks yummy!

9 Jocelyn June 3, 2010

Ohhh how exciting! I would love to get something like that each week :) Someday perhaps!
You could make a vegan apple crumble with all those apples! :)

10 loveshealth June 3, 2010

Yummy!! I am actually going to start making more overnight oats. Your recipes look delicious and I LOVE oats!
I am pretty sure the greens on the left are swiss chard! :)

Enjoy!!

11 Jennifer June 3, 2010

I agree, it looks like swiss chard :)

12 jenny (Green Food Diaries) June 3, 2010

i just bought a breville a few days ago from a refurbished electronic store and it’s been wonderful!

13 Marina June 3, 2010

I love how that wrap looks, I would so devour it right now!

14 Erin June 3, 2010

For recipe ideas, some CSAs offer websites. I’ve received deliveries from Two Onion Farm near Madison, WI for a couple of years. You can go to their website and search for recipes by vegetable, such as chard, kohlrabi, etc. I know a lot of the other CSAs in our area do the same. It’s great, especially when they give some really unusual vegetable.

15 Wei-Wei June 3, 2010

SO MUCH AWESOME PRODUCE! Sorry about the capitals. I know it annoys people. But seriously. That is an amazing amount of produce; I’m proud of you for supporting farmer’s markets and organic produce! :D

I hope you have a great day! “Delight” is a great way to start. ;)

Wei-Wei

16 Kara @ MyWellnest June 3, 2010

I had a CSA a few years ago and I would do the same thing; bring them home, bask in their glory and put them away very carefully, lol. I’m lucky to have a lot of locally grown produce near by…well in the summer & fall anyway!

17 Minnesota CSA June 3, 2010

As a CSA farmer in an area that has lots of offerings for those looking for a CSA, my heart goes out to those who aren’t close enough to access one. If you are seeking a CSA, you can try looking at http://www.localharvest.org , which lists most CSA’s across the nation. There are probably a few missing, but it’s a great resource.

Best of luck with your first CSA experience! In my humble opinion, they are the best!

18 Allison June 3, 2010

I am looking into joining a CSA right now! :) The problem I have here (in northern California) is that there are TOO MANY OPTIONS! I’m not a very good decider ;)

19 KelseyJ June 3, 2010

My Dad is a farmer, so I support local farmers and farmer’s markets whenever I can! :) Agriculture is big in my area (2 hrs east of Toronto), so there are lots of markets and CSA’s to choose from. I usually go to the farmer’s market, but I’m seriously considering signing up for a CSA next year!

20 Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! June 3, 2010

Caressers of produce unite! :)

Your CSA Share is enviable! I have always wanted to do one, but the cost has prevented me. This year, my goal is to visit my local farmer’s market each week. Baby steps, right?

21 Maureen Pluthero June 3, 2010

Do you get to pick what fruit and veggies you want or take what you get?

22 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 3, 2010

A CSA juice might be good!
Although, I think those apples are screaming: “Pie me!”

23 Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies June 3, 2010

All that produce is amazing!!!

24 Tianna June 3, 2010

Recipe idea: roasted shitakes & asparagus w/ simple marinade of good balsamic vinegar & olive oil tossed over a salad.
chopped up baked & spiced apples might be a nice addition to vegan overnight oats, too!

As for the blender debate: go big! i’ve had a vitamix for 5 years and it has never given me any trouble & i’ve certainly put it to the test! :) totally worth the money. plus, it is so powerful it actually makes food steam!

25 Ellen June 3, 2010

The greens on the left are red chard! They have a mild flavor like spinach, but a heartier texture. Cook it like you would kale, only separate any thick stems and put those in the pan first as they take longer to soften but are very delicious. Yours look like the tender, young leaves so you might not have any of the broad stems. I put the greens in green monsters all the time, too.

26 Virginia June 3, 2010

It’s not spinach, it’s red chard! so delicious!

27 Ali @Fat to Fit June 3, 2010

I concur – red swiss chard – yummy!

28 Ann June 3, 2010

Actually, this year I’m trying my OWN little vegetable garden! Have you ever tried this? I’ve seen some photos of your yard area on this blog and it looks big enough (I’m doing mine in big pots). I just LOVE the idea of growing my own food (it’s like a CSA, x20!). For now, I’m trying a few different types of lettuce, some kale, zucchini, broccoli, pattypan squash, radishes, and some herbs (Thai basil, etc.). A lot of those grow very quickly (radishes can be ready to go in less than a month), and are pretty hardy to boot.

29 Amy @ Everything is Homemade June 3, 2010

I have my own garden too! I started it two years ago and I love it. The other night I wanted salad so I walked out to the garden, picked some lettuce and went back in the house to make my salad. As I was eating it I was like “this was on the plant 20 minutes ago!” Can’t get any fresher or more local than that :)

30 Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 3, 2010

The CSA is SUCH a cool idea!! I’m a little bit jealous, must say.

31 brandi June 3, 2010

Yeah, it’s probably a different variety of spinach. It’s not big enough to be chard, I don’t think.

We JUST joined our first CSA here, too! So excited about it. We picked up the first of our loot last week, and I can’t wait to get more!

32 lizzie June 3, 2010

We’re fortunate to have the option of several farmers markets that are either within walking distance or not too far on the subway/bus. Plus they run on different days, so if I forget something or need something at one, I can usually get to whichever market is on next. My summer thing on a Friday has been taking a detour on the way home and grabbing a piece of fresh banana and walnut bread as a pre-run snack – love it! There are CSA’s in our area, but I’ve always been kind of reluctant as I am not sure if it would be enough and don’t want to end up not using some of it. Still trying to figure out if it would work for us $$$-wise. Have to say though two of the best markets I have been to would be the one in Union Sq, NYC and one we went to in Santa Barbara. The SB one reminded me of home and I actually bought lemons and carried them around the rest of the trip so I could smell them – sad, I know! :)

33 Jackie (Peaces of Earth) June 3, 2010

I can’t wait to join a CSA!! I’m going to be in London for a couple of months so I can’t yet, but it’s going to be one of the first things I do when I get back.

The bag on the left is BABY chard, so cute!!!

34 Marissa June 3, 2010

Wow, such beautiful produce!! You are sooo lucky to have that. I wish we had that option here in New Orleans, LA. If anyone knows of anything similar in my area, please email me.

35 Jess @ Jessica is Getting Fit June 3, 2010

We’re debating getting a CSA this summer because we want to stock up on veggies and I’m slowly debating going 100% vegetarian. I don’t know if I can give up yogurt and kefir though!

36 Angi June 3, 2010

Hi from Alaska! Been reading your blog for quite a while but just commenting for the first time!

Just wanted to comment that I’ve had a Hamilton Beach blender for about 5 years and I’ve never had any problems with it. I make green monsters all the time, I blended pea soup in it last night and a few days ago I made “banana soft serve” in it!

Good luck with your blender hunt, and enjoy all that gorgeous produce!!!

37 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter June 3, 2010

When I move back home for the summer I’m going to try to convince my parents to do a CSA, but if not, I’m just going to buy my veggies from the super market. My parents are still trying to get a grip on the whole wheat thing.

38 Brynne June 3, 2010

About the blender sitch – we still have my mom’s Oster from the mid-80s and it still works great! I use it as a food processor too – I’ve made banana soft serve with it and grinded oats for oat flour. I highly recommend Oster!

39 Meredith June 3, 2010

The mystery greens look like beet greens to me.

40 Cynthia (It All Changes) June 3, 2010

I go to the farmers market but right now they don’t have many veggies yet which is very disappointing.

I wanted to sign up for a CSA but thought we were moving at the end of the month so didn’t. Now I wish I had.

41 Sarah June 3, 2010

I am so jealous of your CSA! I looked into one for myself, but there were none that were close enough, or they were really expensive! I’m excited to see what recipes you come up with every week using your CSA veggies.

As for blenders, I have a Hamilton-Beach that I got as a wedding present, and I love it. Has never leaked, comes apart easily for washing, and is very powerful.

42 Heather ODonnell June 3, 2010

My first CSA delivery is today! I can’t wait to get home and see what the wonderful Mr. Organic Farmer is going to bring me. Seriously, I’m like a kid on Christmas morning. I’m thinking you should have a weekly series on the CSA box. That way I could steal (borrow) some recipes. It will be such fun!

43 Ilana June 3, 2010

Gorgeous!! My aunt is giving me some of her weekly organic CSA delivery this summer…sooo exciting for me :)

44 Stacy (StacyGrowsHealthy) June 3, 2010

I have a CSA for produce and I just joined another for meat. In Chicago there are tons of options. I went through a few before I found a farm that wasn’t sold out! There are so many options because people buy into them. If there wasn’t demand, the farms wouldn’t last.

45 Rachel @ Suburban Yogini June 3, 2010

Asparagus is my favourite veggie and I love it’s in season right now.

I did a little asparagus risotto recipe here if you’re interested (the risotto is vegan so just ignore the salmon, it’s only an accompaniment, veggies only in the risotto!)

46 Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble June 3, 2010

Yum!! I love fresh veggies!! The greens on the left look as though they are swiss chard because of the red stems. I’ve never seen spinach with red stems before.

47 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 3, 2010

Yummm your wrap looks good! I love how locally grown apples taste so much better than the kind you get in the grocery store – funny because they’re still apples, but I just find that the ones from local markets taste so different! I’ve never done a CSA but I do try to buy local produce when I can. I have to confess, the price of organic scares me sometimes and makes me wonder it it’s worth it, but for now my argument is that I’m still a student haha! Ideally, I’d buy only organic…. one day…..

48 JavaChick June 3, 2010

I also vote for beet greens, though it’s hard to tell for sure from the picture.

Would the apples be from last fall? I didn’t think apples were harvested in the spring at all. Not that it matters, I’m sure they’ll taste good either way!

49 Kristina June 3, 2010

I love how excited you get about your veggies! (probably the way I am about shoes. or baking supplies. or skincare.) :) those all look beautiful, it makes me want a big lettuce + cucumber + tomato salad.

we are lucky to have some pretty big and really awesome farmers markets here, with beautiful and tasty veggies… actually all kinds of amazing foods. and its fun to go and talk to the farmers, the cooks, the butchers that are there with their “crafts”. it’s exciting. :)

enjoy your new veg, Angela!! :)

50 Paige (Running Around Normal) June 3, 2010

I would love to do a CSA! Wasn’t that a bday gift from Eric? The produce looks beautiful!

51 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty June 3, 2010

There is a lady in town that just started doing this… maybe I’ll have to look more into it!

As for the vitamix, I got mine for 558.00 including everything, from Ontario… here’s the link. It’s a reconditioned white one, but it has a full 7 year warranty! http://www.upayanaturals.com/SPECIAL_Vita_Mix_5200_Reconditioned_Limited_Quant_p/vit-5200-r.htm

Good luck!!

52 Maya June 3, 2010

I think you should go big with the blender! You would CERTAINLY get your use out of it! I think for important matters like that, something that you’re clearly going to use every day, it’s important to get yourself something of quality that will last for years and years. A lot of money spent once is better than some money spent every year or couple of years, as I imagine would be the case with the mid range blenders you’re looking at, considering you’re green monster habit!

53 Jill June 3, 2010

CSA day is so exciting!! We just joined a CSA for the first time this year and I LOVE not knowing what is going to arrive in our box. Even after it arrives, I often don’t know what’s in there – so many new veggies to try. We’ve gotten two boxes so far, and the most unique veggie was Stinging Nettles. I had no idea they were such a superfood! (Oh, and they no longer sting after you blanch them.) I hope you enjoy your CSA adventure as much as we are! :)

54 Jessica @ Jessica Balances June 3, 2010

Oooh your produce looks so tasty! And the wrap looks deliciously messy. The best!

55 Jessica June 3, 2010

I recently saw this on the consumerist : http://consumerist.com/2010/05/need-a-blender-here-are-the-ones-consumer-reports-likes.html

So it’s perfect. I’m in need of a blender as well.

Jessica

56 Molly June 3, 2010

They just reviewed blenders on The Kitchn today – must have read your mind!

57 Sara C. June 3, 2010

My Co-Op changed my life!!! I am a horrible grocery shopper and meal planner so its fun to get fruits and veggies and think of ways I can use them for the week! (plus the wine and beer in my fridge are glad to have healthy company) I gain a lot of inspiration from your eats! Can’t wait to see what you create!

58 Fueling for Fitness June 3, 2010

I reeeally wanted to join a CSA this summer and looked extensively for something that was convenient for me to pick up (I don’t have a car or a metropass and I don’t work well with specific pick up times because of the time demands on my job). haha… I really wish I had been able to work something out though! All of your veggies look delicious – I could totally eat all of that on my own. :D

-Alison

59 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman June 3, 2010

I’ve never done a CSA, but I’d love to join one that lets you somewhat pick from a list. I hate all onions (shallots, chives, etc) so I’d like to pick veggies I like instead of getting stuck with those. I’d love real apples though. There is no such thing as a better apple then one from the orchard. It’s the best part about fall, and I wish I could eat them throughout the year.

60 Laura June 3, 2010

I think those mystery greens might be beet greens. The resemble chard much like a bet green!

Enjoy all those yummy foods.

61 Kris June 3, 2010

OMG…I am SO jealous!!! That looks amazing! :)

62 Kirsten June 3, 2010

Thanks so much for sharing what you got in your CSA. My first pick up of my share is next Tuesday and like you I’m so excited to find out what I got/what yummy goodness I’ll be making!

63 Twisted Chicken June 3, 2010

I don’t know what CSA is but I love going to my local Farmer’s Markets. The produce always tastes so amazingly wonderful and I love knowing that it is local, fresh and touched by human hands. I worked in trucking for a lot of years so I got to know a bit about how produce was treated and hauled across the US. Fresh, local produce is ALWAYS the better choice.

64 Laura @ youngDCliving June 3, 2010

Those are definitely swiss chard! I love it, it’s really great sauteed with a little olive oil and garlic, or just steamed. I love the idea of CSA’s–such a great thing to be a part of!

65 Amber K June 3, 2010

I’ve thought about doing it, but I don’t like that you just get what you get. I like to plan my meals and then shop, not get a random bunch of stuff that I have to eat. Nothing makes me want to rebel more! =P

66 Annie@stronghealthyfit June 3, 2010

There are lots of farmer’s markets in my area (Seacoast of NH) in the summer. During the rest of the year, the pickings are slim for local and organic food, unless you want to pay a boatload at the grocery store, where the freshness isn’t dependable and neither is the selection. I really want to do a CSA at some point- very cool that you are doing one!

67 Little Aspects June 3, 2010

Yum, looks great. We get a veggie box delivered as well (except we get the 3-4 person one plus a fruit top-up between the two of us!! We get through a LOT of veggies in a week!).

With the asparagus, I would make a simple pasta dish – cook the pasta until al dente, meanwhile, saute the asparagus in some extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice (enough so that the olive oil and lemon juice can coat the pasta) and a sprinkle of dried chilli flakes if you like, toss through the pasta, add plenty of cracked pepper, a touch of sea salt and serve topped with your local herb of choice (I like to use continental parsley, dill or chives). This will let the asparagus flavour shine (make sure you don’t overcook the asparagus!)

With the swiss chard, tomatoes and mushrooms – I would stuff the tomatoes with a mushroom and rice mixture and seve atop a bed of wilted swiss chard. Cook the rice and let it cool. Scoop out the inside flesh of the tomatoes. If you have onions, saute some in a pan in some EVOO. Add the mushrooms and continue sauteing then add the middle parts of the tomato to the mushrooms and cook down a bit. Add the rice to the mushroom and tomato mixture, stir through, add a decent amount of cracked pepper, some sea salt, a handful of chopped herbs (parsley or basil would work well) and some toasted nuts (chopped cashews, almonds, pinenuts, whatever you have – it adds some texture and crunch). Pop the rice mixture inside the hollowed out tomatoes, top with some breadcrumbs and put them into the oven for 20mins or so (until the tomato has cooked). When the tomatoes are done, steam or saute in a little olive oil, cracked pepper and seasalt the red chard, put it in the middle of a plate, place the tomato on top, sprinkle with fresh herbs and serve!

68 Little Aspects June 3, 2010

oh, and with the pasta dish, top with toasted slivered almonds. It makes all the difference! :)

69 Ali June 3, 2010

looks like swiss chard, or beet tops (maybe too early for beet tops?) to me!! Lucky you!

70 Kristy June 3, 2010

How Awesome! I would love to be take part in something like CSA! Another reason Canada gets a gold start, too bad I’m in Florida…

71 Amanda June 3, 2010

The greens are def swiss chard. If you decide to eat them cooked, be sure to cook the stalks first and add the leafy part at the very end for best flavor! Have fun!

72 Nichole June 3, 2010

Greens on the left look like chard to me. I used to belong to a CSA here, but they only have one size shares and at first it was good, but then it was just too much food for only two of us. One day I’ll sign up again though, because I loved it! I used to belong to Two Small Farms: http://www.twosmallfarms.com/

I still subscribe to their newsletter because they send out recipes, many are not veg/an though, but it helps for ideas of how to use what’s in season. They also have lots of recipes on their website.

Enjoy!

73 Aoife - Adventures in Veg June 3, 2010

Yay for your CSA delivery!! I do something similar here and I got a pretty similar delivery this week :)
It looks like you got red chard – wait till you get rainbow chard, it’s SO pretty!! I love chopping up the organic apples and adding them porridge (oatmeal) and cinnamon…soooo good!
PS I put up the blog post about the article I did on your Green Monsters :) http://myadventuresinveg.blogspot.com/2010/06/adventures-in-food-green-monster.html
Aoife x

74 Naomi(onefitfoodie) June 3, 2010

i LOVe the idea of CSA!! i always go to the local farmers market in my area which is amazing!! i cant wait for summer just for the farmers market!

that bean wrap looks delicious

75 charline June 3, 2010

The greens on the left look like Beet Greens… YUM!

76 Triathlonbabe aka Grace June 3, 2010

I’ve never used a CSA (if it’s what I’m thinking…a co-op type thing…right?) We do have several local farmers mkts with organic produce that I absolutely love. A friend of mine, recently turned me onto I’m thinking something like this CSA you all speak of here in Dallas, Tx. It’s called Urban Markets, where you sign up for the co-op and every 2 weeks you go to the meeting place where the produce will be handed out. You pay like $30 USD and receive a box filled with several types of produce and a mystery veggie or fruit. I think it’s really a great idea and like you, I like the fact that we are supporting our local farmers. I am signing up for it this weekend. I’m really excited about it.

77 Mikki June 3, 2010

YUMMMMM! I believe your greens on the left are chard or swiss chard. Enjoy all that goodness. I made chocolate banana soft serve for the babe’s lunch dessert and she loved it!

78 Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 3, 2010

Love the CCA idea! We have a similar service in Australia – and once we have moved into our house I hope to sign up! Plus we hope to try and grow our own veggies too !!!

79 Ali @ Redhead Reports June 3, 2010

YAY for fresh produce from the farmer’s market! Enjoy it :)

80 Carmen June 3, 2010

My mom has had her vita-mix for years and loves it. But, when I was looking at getting a blender I just didn’t know if I wanted to pay that kind of price. I spent a lot of time researching blenders and decided to get a Breville. I love, love, love it! I got it last November and it gets used every day (sometimes more than one time each day).

81 Erin June 3, 2010

What wonderful produce, Angela! There is a big local food movement where I live in central North Carolina, so I’m blessed to be able to visit multiple farmers’ markets if I choose. My husband and I also keep a garden (and chickens), so we are also able to produce some of our own food as well. Very fun and rewarding!

As for your blender dilemma…I was considering a Blendtec about a month ago when our cheapy blender finally kicked it. However, I just couldn’t bring myself to spend the $300 it would cost to go with a top-of-the-line model and broke down and went to Walmart instead. Good fortune smiled upon me, because I happened to find a 600-watt, 12-speed digital GE blender for just $35. It has a nice, heavy duty glass pitcher and is easy to disassemble/reassemble. I’ve been using it now for my green monsters and I must say, that was $35 well spent. It pulverizes ice like nobody’s business and is even smart enough to slow down when it senses there is little left to blended (and conversely, speeds up when it “feels” any remaining uncrushed ice.) I’ll see how long it lasts, but the constructions seems good and if nothing else, I’m very pleased to have found that wattage of blender for such a good price. (To compare, I was also looking at 300-400 watt blenders that day I was shopping that ran $60-70.)

Good luck on your blender search and enjoy your bounty of produce! :)

82 mary June 3, 2010

I accidentally posted on your about page my comment about your green goods! whoops!

anyway, they look delish and I hope you enjoy them! :)

83 PhysiqueSpeak June 3, 2010

I just moved and there is a little locally grown produce stand called the Garden Patch right down the street from me. I love walking down there and being able to pick my veggies for dinner while talking to the man that actually grew them

84 Sarah June 3, 2010

We bought our first CSA shares this year, too! Last week was our first week, and we are loving it so far:-). Everything is organic, which I like. I have also found that one of our farmers market has a great organic and local stand, as well as a “sister” organic cafe. Ooh, I’m in love:-).

85 Allison @ Food For Healing June 3, 2010

thats so exciting! I love the farmers market, I will be going often this summer thats forsure.

86 Shauna June 3, 2010

The greens on the left are beet greens. I live in Ontario and my boyfriend has a market garden. It is just a bit early for chard. They look a lot like chard but they are actually beet greens. Delicious in salads, sauteed with other veggies, on pizza – basically anything you would do with spinach I would do with beet greens.

Delicious! My CSA share from Whole Circle Farms starts next week!

87 Alycia @ Fit n Fresh June 3, 2010

I would seriously LOVE a CSA! I think there is one around here, but it doesn’t start until late june! sad face…

88 Sharon June 3, 2010

I have a Hamilton Beach Blender that I use daily for my Green Smoothies (2 portions as my fella also drinks and loves them…yeah, he can’t believe it either!) and it never fails. Highly recommend it if you’re not looking to drop 500 big ones. Got it at the Bay.

89 Tricia June 3, 2010

My boyfriend just got me an Oster Professional Series Blender…It is AWESOME!
So fast and so smooth, I definitely recommend it!

90 Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 3, 2010

I get organic produce delivered every 2 weeks, love it so fresh and local. I also love the farmers markets during the summer.

91 Juli June 3, 2010

I will definitely be doing a CSA in the near future. I just need to stick around long enough to receive shipments!

Also, go for the Vitamix/Blendtec blender. I know you don’t like to spend big, but it is so worth it. You probably don’t think of yourself this way, but you are a professional CHEF. If anyone deserves a top of the line blender, it is you!

92 Katherine June 3, 2010

This probably doesn’t count as a real comment, but I love the color scheme and motif through all the pictures. Very relaxing on the eyes to view…

93 AGS June 3, 2010

I am an avid supporter of locally produced food — and visit our local farmer’s market for in-season produce (as well as everything from meats and cheeses, to jams, etc.) several times a month. There are some stalls that feature organic produce, and the price isn’t much more than the non-organic produce. But I tend not to worry as much about pesticides when purchasing from small farms. The cost of organic certification is prohibitively high for many (especially when you count the hours required for paperwork), and most small farms use much less pesticides than the larger industrial farms — some to the extent that they would almost count as organic (but don’t bother with certification). I never tried a CSA, because my husband and I have such hectic work schedules, that I am always in fear of food going bad in the fridge.

I kind of feel I am supporting a local farm when I visit my parents in Philadelphia. My mom and dad are huge into community gardens, and own a plot, as well as assist with the larger garden. I usually come home from the middle of Philly with fresh produce — once my husband and I brought a praying mantis back with us in the lettuces. That was quite the surprise! (and I was happy — that is my favorite insect!)

As for what to do with your new goodies: I think you should try lettuce wrap sandwiches. Use the big lettuce leaves to hold your goodies (include shredded veggies/fruits inside). I like marinated tofu or seasoned tuna with shredded/chopped mango (or some other fruit), carrot, avocado, ground nuts — all rolled up in a lettuce leaf and dipped in vinagrette. Ahhhh!

94 katherine June 3, 2010

Oooh… looks like you have some chard on the left (although I’m sure others have already mentioned that….nothing like having the whole bloggosphere looking to help you identify unknown veggies). Good in anything that spinach is….although not quite as tasty IMO. I like to steam it and stick it in sauces like spaghetti sauce.

95 katherine June 3, 2010

P.S. Chard works just fine in Green monsters!

96 Kristin (Salty Tooth) June 3, 2010

Love CSAs. Last year I received swiss chard for the first time. It’s always a fun challenge to figure out what you can make with all of the produce.

97 Lindsey @ Sound Eats June 3, 2010

I got an Oster blender for a bridal shower gift (prob in the $40 range?) and it lasted a year. I apparently blended it to oblivion. I was so hesitant to buy a Vita, but I think my husband got tired of hearing me whine about my old crappy Oster, so he bought me the VitaMix for Christmas. Definitely a big chunk of change, but I don’t regret it at all. He actually loves using it too…closest thing to a power tool in the kitchen? lol

I’m also pretty sure that the blender that Ryan (greens for good) had before her VitaMix was an Oster, too.

98 Diana @ frontyardfoodie June 3, 2010

how gorgeous!! I love fresh food!

I grow kale and can only say there’s nothing nothing nothing like fresh organic kale. I truly hope you do get some!

99 TiaMarie June 3, 2010

I love the idea of a CSA, unfortunately there isn’t one close enough to me, and it would cost me too much to have it delivered. Sounds amazing though! Maybe when the husband and I finally buy a house and settle down we will look into relocating to a place that is closer to a CSA.

100 Nicole June 3, 2010

My CSA share begins on Tuesday, can’t wait!

101 Hayley June 4, 2010

I think you should probably get the Vita. As a successful food blogger, you’ve earned the right. Think of the smooth green monsters…

102 Steph (@ mediterraneanmiss) June 4, 2010

I agree with Hayley. Go for the vitamix, girl! It’s a part of what you do for a living, after all ^~ You deserve the best work tools!

Your delivery looks amazing. There’s a pick up point near me and I’m seriously considering signing up for the one that takes place from here-October. Decisions, decisions…
xo

103 Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 4, 2010

Ahh I love CSA shares, I wish we could get them in our apartment, but no one to recieve! :(

Ah, the blender decision. I’ve been having that issue myself. I LOVE my Oster fusion, but it is wearing out after a couple of years… and we use them in class (possible because my chef’ food network show was sponsored by oster but that is neither here nor there…) BUT a vitamix is SO cool… yet so expensive. So hard!

xo
K

104 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life June 4, 2010

I got the Oster fusion blender back in Decemeber, and I wasn’t that impressed! It never seemed like it fit into the base very well, and it would take at least 3 tries of the “blended drinks” button to finally get everything blended. Then the other day, I went to lift it off the base (while it was full), and the entire bottom fell out! Into the garbage it went!

105 Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 4, 2010

That’s so strange! I DID have the problem with it not fitting into the base well, but I hope my bottom doesn’t fall off!

106 Meg June 4, 2010

I’ve always wanted to try those vegetable boxes, I think it’s cool because whenever you get them, you have to challenge yourself to use up all the different veggies in different ways.

I love going to the farmers market, it’s one of my favourite things. Buying local organic produce just tastes so much better and it even feels more energizing!

PS I like your idea for the maple syrup and coconut oil!

107 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life June 4, 2010

I have a local Farmers Market that I try to go to every Saturday morning. It’s always so fun to just walk around, browsing the goods, and seeing everyone in support of our local farmers!

I totally feel your pain with an MIA blender. Mine “crapped out” on me a couple days ago, and I’m trying to decide what one I want to invest in. I’d LOVE to get a vita mix, but I’m just not sure it’s in the cards for me right now. I had a few people recommend the Ninja to me…have you heard anything about that one?

108 Annie D. from Annie'sSimpleLife June 4, 2010

My CSA starts TODAY!!!!! I haven’t done one before either and am SOOO EXCITED (bounces in seat). It will be interesting figuring out what on EARTH I’m going to make with what we get, but it’ll sure be nummy!!!! Nom Nom Nom!!! Happy Friday, my dear!

109 jenna June 4, 2010

i love CSA its such an awesome way to support your local farms. it also forces you to try new produce and be creative preparing it! i hope you enjoy your veggie bag! :)

110 Sam June 4, 2010

I agree, those mystery greens look like chard – rainbow or red. I prepare it the way some other ladies said: cooked with a bit of olive oil, garlic, and a dash of salt. I basically treat the stalks like celery. Chard is mild enough to eat in a salad. Other times I’ll tear it up and throw it in a pot of lentils or a soup. I really like it.

We’re doing a CSA for the first time this year, too, and totally loving it! You have more variety than we do, though. It all looks so good!

111 Ayla June 4, 2010

Get the vitamix! Youll never regret it! My only regret is going through twenty other blenders before the vita- it seriously is heaven;) Im also so amazed at the courage you guys have to do the tri- good luck!!

112 Jodi June 4, 2010

woohoo! the tri is coming up soon! I did a mini triathlon 5 years ago and it was a thrill to finish! although we swam in a pool i couldn’t imagine the open water swim! sounds like you are up for the challenge and im positive you will do great! I have a quick question and im sure you are the best to ask, its about amazing grass, which do you prefer! the amazing meal or the superfood? should i opt for the wheat grass as well??
Thanks hun!

113 Kimberly June 4, 2010

I live in Orlando and we don’t have any CSAs in the area, but there’s an organic food delivery service (Orlando Organics) that I used to use… we stopped after a few months of 1) extremely quickly rotting fruit, 2) organic fruit with stickers labeled “Product of Chile/Mexico/some other foreign country”, 3) realizing we could buy the SAME BRANDS of organic produce at Publix for cheaper.

Here’s a question – why do so many farmer’s markets sell produce from very far away? We have a big market in Winter Park (Florida) that has a lot of local stuff, but they also bring in Michigan blueberries (that look like they were just purchased at the grocery store) and other out-of-season/non-regional stuff.

Blenders: I have the Oster “Osterizer Classic” and it has problems with tougher food. It takes a lot of liquid for me to make banana soft serve, and doesn’t chop the greens up finely enough to make a green monster drinkable (it’s REALLY hard to swallow a chunky green monster…). Plus every time I use it, it makes a burning plastic smell (like the motor is running too hot and the blades can’t spin fast enough b/c there’s too much solid food in the bottom of the blender). If I replace my blender, I’m totally going with the VITAMIX because even my non-raw-food-blog-reading friends recommend it to me :)

114 Melissa June 4, 2010

Ok, these banana soft serve overnight oats are getting ridiculous..

…ridiculously good, that is. : )

115 Allison June 21, 2010

Hi Angela! A fellow blogger is hosting a “Cooking Away My CSA” challenge and I think it is such a great idea! Just thought you might want to check it out!