CSA Delight

Hello there!

Our Plan B Organic CSA Share began last night! It was pretty much torture waiting all day long until our evening pick-up time…

IMG 8481 thumb   CSA Delight

This is the first time we have ever had a CSA share, so I was really excited to get started.

Here are the types of foods that are in season in June in this area. I bolded what we received.

June - Asparagus, Baby Salad Mix, Lettuce, Spinach (?), Green Onions, Radishes, Greenhouse Tomato & Cucumber, Strawberries, Swiss Chard, Kale, Broccoli, Shiitake Mushrooms, Beets, Sugar Snap Peas, new potatoes, Carrots + apples.

We have a half share which is enough for 1-2 people, however I could easily chomp my way through a full share I’m sure! :biggrin:

I love knowing that these foods come from local organic farmers working hard every single day to try and make a difference in the system. It feels good to support their efforts and get some fresh organic produce in the process.

IMG 8483 thumb   CSA Delight

I’m not sure what the greens are on the left…spinach??

I handled this food ever so carefully when I put it away.

I stare at it in awe, I appreciate it, and I try and think about how I will use it.

IMG 8489 thumb   CSA Delight

Any ideas? :biggrin: Maybe we can make this a weekly challenge- ‘Help Ange build a recipe from her CSA produce!’

I was really hoping I was going to find some kale in the bag because our local grocery stores don’t carry organic kale. Maybe next week though.

IMG 8491 thumb   CSA Delight

These are the cutest little apples I have ever seen….bumps and marks and lots of character!

IMG 8496 thumb   CSA Delight

After caressing my produce, I made breakfast!

IMG 8361 thumb   CSA Delight

I had some Vegan Overnight Oats ‘marinating’ in the fridge (it was a triple batch) so I just scooped out a serving, mashed a big banana into the bowl (with a fork), and topped it with shredded coconut and my coconut oil + maple syrup dressing (1/2 tbsp coconut oil + 1/2 tbsp maple syrup).

IMG 8358 thumb   CSA Delight

I used to look at overnight oats and CRINGE at the thought. Now I am completely in love. Funny how things turn out. If I had a dime for every email that I got from new Green Monster lovers that said ‘I thought those green drinks looked SO gross…and then I tried one and fell in love. Now I drink one every morning!’

IMG 8365 thumb   CSA Delight

I must admit I am missing my Green Monsters! As you may know my Kitchen Aid blender is broken once again. I am trying to decide if I am going to go BIG with a Vitamix or a Blendtec OR if I am going to try a mid-range brand that I have heard good things about (Oster, Hamilton Beach, or  Breville). Decisions, decisions!

This morning I worked on shipments, ordering stock, and baking. Before I knew it, I was hungry for lunch!

IMG 84132 thumb   CSA Delight

I had an Ezekiel wrap filled with about 1 cup of Navy Beans, pasta sauce, mixed veggies, dried parsley, and ground pepper and sea salt.

IMG 84082 thumb   CSA Delight

Mmmmmm.

IMG 84102 thumb   CSA Delight

I also had a juicy apple.

IMG 4943 thumb   CSA Delight

Afternoon snack will be this guy…

IMG 4964 thumb   CSA Delight

Have you ever supported local farmers either through a CSA or by going to a Farmer’s Market? Do you find that your city or town has a lot of access to local and/or organic products? Why or why not?

Have a Terrific Thursday!

Camille June 3, 2010

I have always wanted to do a CSA, but there aren’t any in my neck of the woods. I am hoping that when I move in September there will be one closer!

Jessica @ How Sweet June 3, 2010

I really want to do a CSA! I don’t like veggies much though, I wish I could request that I get all kale all the time…lol.

Heather (Heather's Dish) June 3, 2010

nom nom nom to everything on this post…i want to use a company here called door to door organics, but i’m just scared to pay the price if i don’t use all the food! yours sounds so good :)

Therese June 3, 2010

My boyfriend and I did an organic delivery for a while and I LOVED it! I seriously thought about nothing else on delivery days and it was like Santa was visiting when the guy would knock on my door! There’s nothing like a dude hand delivering fresh organic produce to you!

My only beef with the organics delivery is that they aren’t like a CSA in that they deliver strictly from local farmers. They START at the local level and branch out. So although I was getting staple food like apples and such, they were from CHILE! I’d MUCH rather go with a CSA or just head over to the Farmer’s Market. That (and the fact that my boyfriend was in between jobs at the time) was the biggest reason we stopped getting it.

Lindsay June 3, 2010

The greens on the left look like ruby chard- yum!!!!

Lindsay June 3, 2010

If you are looking for a way to cook them up they are delicious sauteed with garlic and olive oil and are wonderful juiced with those apples and cucumber.

Carolyn @ lovinlosing June 3, 2010

I was thinking of doing the local CSA. Only $322 for now through October. But..maybe next year.

Melodie June 3, 2010

The greens on the left look like some I got at my local farmer’s market 2 weeks ago. The lady said it is called Russian Kale :) Looks yummy!

Jocelyn June 3, 2010

Ohhh how exciting! I would love to get something like that each week :) Someday perhaps!
You could make a vegan apple crumble with all those apples! :)

loveshealth June 3, 2010

Yummy!! I am actually going to start making more overnight oats. Your recipes look delicious and I LOVE oats!
I am pretty sure the greens on the left are swiss chard! :)

Enjoy!!

Jennifer June 3, 2010

I agree, it looks like swiss chard :)

jenny (Green Food Diaries) June 3, 2010

i just bought a breville a few days ago from a refurbished electronic store and it’s been wonderful!

Marina June 3, 2010

I love how that wrap looks, I would so devour it right now!

Erin June 3, 2010

For recipe ideas, some CSAs offer websites. I’ve received deliveries from Two Onion Farm near Madison, WI for a couple of years. You can go to their website and search for recipes by vegetable, such as chard, kohlrabi, etc. I know a lot of the other CSAs in our area do the same. It’s great, especially when they give some really unusual vegetable.

Wei-Wei June 3, 2010

SO MUCH AWESOME PRODUCE! Sorry about the capitals. I know it annoys people. But seriously. That is an amazing amount of produce; I’m proud of you for supporting farmer’s markets and organic produce! :D

I hope you have a great day! “Delight” is a great way to start. ;)

Wei-Wei

Kara @ MyWellnest June 3, 2010

I had a CSA a few years ago and I would do the same thing; bring them home, bask in their glory and put them away very carefully, lol. I’m lucky to have a lot of locally grown produce near by…well in the summer & fall anyway!

Minnesota CSA June 3, 2010

As a CSA farmer in an area that has lots of offerings for those looking for a CSA, my heart goes out to those who aren’t close enough to access one. If you are seeking a CSA, you can try looking at http://www.localharvest.org , which lists most CSA’s across the nation. There are probably a few missing, but it’s a great resource.

Best of luck with your first CSA experience! In my humble opinion, they are the best!

Allison June 3, 2010

I am looking into joining a CSA right now! :) The problem I have here (in northern California) is that there are TOO MANY OPTIONS! I’m not a very good decider ;)

KelseyJ June 3, 2010

My Dad is a farmer, so I support local farmers and farmer’s markets whenever I can! :) Agriculture is big in my area (2 hrs east of Toronto), so there are lots of markets and CSA’s to choose from. I usually go to the farmer’s market, but I’m seriously considering signing up for a CSA next year!

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! June 3, 2010

Caressers of produce unite! :)

Your CSA Share is enviable! I have always wanted to do one, but the cost has prevented me. This year, my goal is to visit my local farmer’s market each week. Baby steps, right?

Maureen Pluthero June 3, 2010

Do you get to pick what fruit and veggies you want or take what you get?

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 3, 2010

A CSA juice might be good!
Although, I think those apples are screaming: “Pie me!”

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies June 3, 2010

All that produce is amazing!!!

Tianna June 3, 2010

Recipe idea: roasted shitakes & asparagus w/ simple marinade of good balsamic vinegar & olive oil tossed over a salad.
chopped up baked & spiced apples might be a nice addition to vegan overnight oats, too!

As for the blender debate: go big! i’ve had a vitamix for 5 years and it has never given me any trouble & i’ve certainly put it to the test! :) totally worth the money. plus, it is so powerful it actually makes food steam!

Ellen June 3, 2010

The greens on the left are red chard! They have a mild flavor like spinach, but a heartier texture. Cook it like you would kale, only separate any thick stems and put those in the pan first as they take longer to soften but are very delicious. Yours look like the tender, young leaves so you might not have any of the broad stems. I put the greens in green monsters all the time, too.

Virginia June 3, 2010

It’s not spinach, it’s red chard! so delicious!

Ali @Fat to Fit June 3, 2010

I concur – red swiss chard – yummy!

Ann June 3, 2010

Actually, this year I’m trying my OWN little vegetable garden! Have you ever tried this? I’ve seen some photos of your yard area on this blog and it looks big enough (I’m doing mine in big pots). I just LOVE the idea of growing my own food (it’s like a CSA, x20!). For now, I’m trying a few different types of lettuce, some kale, zucchini, broccoli, pattypan squash, radishes, and some herbs (Thai basil, etc.). A lot of those grow very quickly (radishes can be ready to go in less than a month), and are pretty hardy to boot.

Amy @ Everything is Homemade June 3, 2010

I have my own garden too! I started it two years ago and I love it. The other night I wanted salad so I walked out to the garden, picked some lettuce and went back in the house to make my salad. As I was eating it I was like “this was on the plant 20 minutes ago!” Can’t get any fresher or more local than that :)

Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 3, 2010

The CSA is SUCH a cool idea!! I’m a little bit jealous, must say.

brandi June 3, 2010

Yeah, it’s probably a different variety of spinach. It’s not big enough to be chard, I don’t think.

We JUST joined our first CSA here, too! So excited about it. We picked up the first of our loot last week, and I can’t wait to get more!

lizzie June 3, 2010

We’re fortunate to have the option of several farmers markets that are either within walking distance or not too far on the subway/bus. Plus they run on different days, so if I forget something or need something at one, I can usually get to whichever market is on next. My summer thing on a Friday has been taking a detour on the way home and grabbing a piece of fresh banana and walnut bread as a pre-run snack – love it! There are CSA’s in our area, but I’ve always been kind of reluctant as I am not sure if it would be enough and don’t want to end up not using some of it. Still trying to figure out if it would work for us $$$-wise. Have to say though two of the best markets I have been to would be the one in Union Sq, NYC and one we went to in Santa Barbara. The SB one reminded me of home and I actually bought lemons and carried them around the rest of the trip so I could smell them – sad, I know! :)

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) June 3, 2010

I can’t wait to join a CSA!! I’m going to be in London for a couple of months so I can’t yet, but it’s going to be one of the first things I do when I get back.

The bag on the left is BABY chard, so cute!!!

Marissa June 3, 2010

Wow, such beautiful produce!! You are sooo lucky to have that. I wish we had that option here in New Orleans, LA. If anyone knows of anything similar in my area, please email me.

Jess @ Jessica is Getting Fit June 3, 2010

We’re debating getting a CSA this summer because we want to stock up on veggies and I’m slowly debating going 100% vegetarian. I don’t know if I can give up yogurt and kefir though!

Angi June 3, 2010

Hi from Alaska! Been reading your blog for quite a while but just commenting for the first time!

Just wanted to comment that I’ve had a Hamilton Beach blender for about 5 years and I’ve never had any problems with it. I make green monsters all the time, I blended pea soup in it last night and a few days ago I made “banana soft serve” in it!

Good luck with your blender hunt, and enjoy all that gorgeous produce!!!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter June 3, 2010

When I move back home for the summer I’m going to try to convince my parents to do a CSA, but if not, I’m just going to buy my veggies from the super market. My parents are still trying to get a grip on the whole wheat thing.

Brynne June 3, 2010

About the blender sitch – we still have my mom’s Oster from the mid-80s and it still works great! I use it as a food processor too – I’ve made banana soft serve with it and grinded oats for oat flour. I highly recommend Oster!

Meredith June 3, 2010

The mystery greens look like beet greens to me.

Cynthia (It All Changes) June 3, 2010

I go to the farmers market but right now they don’t have many veggies yet which is very disappointing.

I wanted to sign up for a CSA but thought we were moving at the end of the month so didn’t. Now I wish I had.

Sarah June 3, 2010

I am so jealous of your CSA! I looked into one for myself, but there were none that were close enough, or they were really expensive! I’m excited to see what recipes you come up with every week using your CSA veggies.

As for blenders, I have a Hamilton-Beach that I got as a wedding present, and I love it. Has never leaked, comes apart easily for washing, and is very powerful.

Heather ODonnell June 3, 2010

My first CSA delivery is today! I can’t wait to get home and see what the wonderful Mr. Organic Farmer is going to bring me. Seriously, I’m like a kid on Christmas morning. I’m thinking you should have a weekly series on the CSA box. That way I could steal (borrow) some recipes. It will be such fun!

Ilana June 3, 2010

Gorgeous!! My aunt is giving me some of her weekly organic CSA delivery this summer…sooo exciting for me :)

Stacy (StacyGrowsHealthy) June 3, 2010

I have a CSA for produce and I just joined another for meat. In Chicago there are tons of options. I went through a few before I found a farm that wasn’t sold out! There are so many options because people buy into them. If there wasn’t demand, the farms wouldn’t last.

Rachel @ Suburban Yogini June 3, 2010

Asparagus is my favourite veggie and I love it’s in season right now.

I did a little asparagus risotto recipe here if you’re interested (the risotto is vegan so just ignore the salmon, it’s only an accompaniment, veggies only in the risotto!)

Page 1 of 3123»