Ice, Ice, Baby

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on June 2, 2010

Good morning!

A big thank-you for your support with my new Liberate Glo Bar launch last night. We sold out! I will be letting you know when more will hit the shopping cart.

I could not believe it but my body bounced back so quickly from my half marathon on Sunday. You might remember my second half marathon when following the race, I took 2 weeks off exercise because I just felt worn out. Well, this 3rd race was much different. I felt so good yesterday, I was actually craving a bike ride. I did just over 7 miles– with hills- and the legs felt fine. My blister is still very raw, but luckily the motion of cycling didn’t push on the blister and make it hurt.

Here is what I did post-race

• Iced sore spots on drive home
  • Had a high protein Renew Glo Bar on drive home (I always eat within 60 mins of intense exercise)
  • Ice bath as soon as I got home (approx 1 hour following race), for about 10 minutes or so.
  • I napped for 45 minutes Sunday
  • Got a full 8 hours of sleep Sunday night
  • I iced sore spots about 4 times Sunday and Monday, off and on
  • Ice bath first thing Monday morning upon waking
  • I stretched twice on Sunday and once on Monday for just a few minutes each time
  • I went for a very slow walk with Eric Monday night (20 mins)
  • Lots of healthy food!!
  • I was active on my feet with work and I think this improved blood flow to muscles

I was never one to ice my sore muscles, but after my experience with this race, I am definitely going to add icing to my repertoire. It seems to really help. For how to ice SAFELY see this article. It is a very important read before icing!

IMG_8319

This morning I dove into some chocolate banana soft serve vegan overnight oats

IMG_8306

For my video demo on how to make these delicious breakfast parfaits, see here. I am hoping to do demo videos of all of my favourite and most popular recipes. I just need to go through my crazy long recipe page! Any suggestions on what recipe I should do a video of next?

The only thing I changed in this batch was that I added a heaping tablespoon of cocoa powder while making the banana soft serve. It turned into a chocolaty dream!  I can’t decide what I like better- banana soft serve with carob powder or cocoa powder! They are both amazing.

IMG_8313

I also meant to mention last week that I started making TRIPLE batches of the vegan overnight oats to save a bit of time at night.

Triple batch of Vegan Overnight Oats

• 1 heaping cup regular oats
  • 2.5 cups almond milk
  • 3 heaping tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup of Amazing Grass Chocolate Amazing Meal Powder

Directions: Whisk all ingredients together and place in fridge. Good for 3 mornings! Note, you can also make a triple batch of 1/2 cup oat servings, by using 1.5 cups oats, 3 and 1/4 cups milk, 3 tbsp chia seeds, 1 tsp vanilla, and 1/4 cup protein powder. It just depends on what serving size you prefer! Sometimes I make my VOO with 1/2 cup and sometimes with 1/3 cups, it just depends on how hungry I am and also what toppings I will be adding on.

If you look closely you can see a layer of Nature’s Path Rice Crisp near the bottom!

IMG_8313b

With Cacao nibs to crunch on.

IMG_8317

Health News Round Up:

It’s that time again for some of my favourite health articles from the past week. Oh, and I also threw in a couple things that made me giggle (see humour). Laughing is healthy, right?

Spottings:

See you this afternoon for a very unique 1,000 words post. Hint: It involves me drawing a comic. Oh yes.

Have a great hump-day!

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope June 2, 2010 at 8:05 am

YAYYY I AM FEATURED ON OSGs!!:):):) Thanks, dude!!

Jessica @ How Sweet June 2, 2010 at 8:09 am

For some reason, I am not a fan of cocoa in my banana soft serve! I guess it just didn’t taste chocolatey enough for me?

tinka June 2, 2010 at 8:13 am

OMG that almond milk recipe looks great! i’m so going to try it :)

VeggieGirl June 2, 2010 at 8:14 am

I wrote on your Facebook wall about the Liberate bars – get back to me please, when you can! :)

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman June 2, 2010 at 8:22 am

I love that one about what your e-mail address says about you. Hilarious and so true!

Ilana June 2, 2010 at 8:23 am

Icing. Why is that SO obvious and so obviously the last thing in the world I would ever consider for my aching muscles?! You so smart. Me not so smart.

PS- It’s been green monster central around here because of the heat and I always think of you!

Ameena June 2, 2010 at 8:34 am

All of your bars look fabulous! I have a million allergies unfortunately so I’m hoping that one day you come up with an almond/peanut free, gluten-free version so I can give them a try!!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 2, 2010 at 8:44 am

Man the oatmeal is hilarious!

Annie D. from Annie'sSimpleLife June 2, 2010 at 8:50 am

I gotta tell ya, those overnight oats look better and better every day!!! We’re sooooo going to have to try this recipe!

Therese June 2, 2010 at 8:58 am

I had to read this post twice because I got to the first picture of your breakfast and stopped paying attention to your words…*drool* I haven’t made banana soft serve in a long while and keep promising my boyfriend that I’ll make it for him so I think that, with this recipe, that day is drawing near!

Congrats on selling out! WOO!

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! June 2, 2010 at 8:59 am

I read that Huffington Post article about fibre. I can’t believe the average person only gets 8 grams a day! Obviously they have not heard of the magical elixir that is the Green Monster!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 2, 2010 at 11:56 am

I know my jaw hit the FLOOR when I read that. I wonder where that stat is from…

Erin June 2, 2010 at 9:00 am

I love the way you present all your meals. You have the best collection of glasses!

Sammy June 2, 2010 at 9:04 am

Do you soak your chia seeds before using them or just sprinkle them in? I’m going to have to try this, it looks great!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 2, 2010 at 11:56 am

They soak in the vegan overnight oats :)

Emily June 2, 2010 at 9:09 am

Wow – recovered already? You’re basically superwoman :D Also those chocolate banana soft serve voo look incredible… really need to get round to making them. Would they work without the chia or would I need to sub in something else?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 2, 2010 at 11:56 am

ive heard ppl not using chia and it works, you can also use flax.

Emily June 2, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Excellent :) Think I’ll give it a go tonight as we have a tonne of oats and it’s way too warm for porridge!

jenna June 2, 2010 at 9:10 am

omg…this looks so amazing!!! what a decadent breakfast.

Johanna June 2, 2010 at 9:15 am

Hi! I would really like you to do a how-to-video on you’re cheezy savoury oats, that would be awesome! =D

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 2, 2010 at 11:56 am

good idea!

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks June 2, 2010 at 9:16 am

You know, I’ll bet banana soft serve would be delicious with a scoop of açai powder. I think I’ll try that!

Liz June 2, 2010 at 9:19 am

I’m so happy you are recovering so rapidly from the marathon. You are such an inspiration!!! I’m lovin’ those ONO (OverNightOats)! Looks so yum! Have a great day – I am curious about the new GLO bars, can’t wait to try one!

Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition June 2, 2010 at 9:19 am

I’ve always wanted to try your bars!!!!! How much is shipping to the US?!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 2, 2010 at 11:57 am

you can enter your addy and get a quote on the shopping cart

Claire June 2, 2010 at 9:25 am

Wow lady, sold out already, congrats!!!!

The overnight oats with cocoa look and sound too good. They never fail to amaze me.

Thanks for posting a link for my overnight oats, you are the best!

Tina June 2, 2010 at 9:26 am

I have those wine glasses, but sadly I think I’m down to 3, one got broken, so be careful-they’re delicate!

Heather (Heather's Dish) June 2, 2010 at 9:26 am

ok, seriously i thought i was in love with your VOO photos before, but this morning takes the cake. HOLY DELICIOUSNESS in a glass!

Ali June 2, 2010 at 9:36 am

I love the Health News Roundup. Thank you for going to the effort!

mary June 2, 2010 at 9:37 am

I loved your tutorial video! I’m definitely going to make some now that I know how :)

Katie H. June 2, 2010 at 9:39 am

Thanks for posting the article on icing! This will definitely be useful. I’m glad that you had such a great recovery :D

tasha - the clean eating mama June 2, 2010 at 9:49 am

Mmmmmm chocolate for breakfast! I am so in!

Wei-Wei June 2, 2010 at 9:51 am

I never knew icing was so important! I always sort of wince when I hear the words “ice bath”. How do you get iced water? Surely ice cubes aren’t enough?!

I’m glad you recovered well! :)

Wei-Wei

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 2, 2010 at 11:58 am

Yup just dump some ice into the bath…I keep the temp around 60F…it doesn’t even have to be toooo cold (actually it shouldnt for safety purposes!)….the ice melts quickly, but it still benefits your muscles a lot.

Amber K June 2, 2010 at 10:00 am

Chocolate, chocolatey goodness! Yum!

grace June 2, 2010 at 10:01 am

i don’t even like bananas but that looks delicious!

Kristin (Salty Tooth) June 2, 2010 at 10:11 am

Thanks for the link. The savory oats may be making another appearance sometime today!

jvegegirl June 2, 2010 at 10:11 am

That almond milk recipe is a good idea, but it’s done in a really silly way. It takes me less than 10 minutes to make milk, not 30. Just put 1 cup of soaked (you must soak all nuts/seeds) in the blender with 4 cups of water and a dash of salt and then pour into a paint strainer bag (yes a paint strainer bag) over a container. Squeeze the milk and then discard or save the pulp. That’s it. Usually setup + process + cleanup takes me about 8 minutes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 2, 2010 at 11:59 am

wow that seems much easier. do you use any sweetener?

jvegegirl June 2, 2010 at 1:22 pm

None. You can if you want, but I like a neutral almond milk that I can sweeten later or use in savory applications too. I don’t even use salt.
Sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and macadamia nuts also make very good milk.

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies June 2, 2010 at 10:14 am

Oh my…those overnight oats are just….amazing.

Camille June 2, 2010 at 10:20 am

Congrats on selling out of Glo Bars! That’s fabulous!

[email protected] June 2, 2010 at 10:43 am

Good for you for recovering so quickly. You took care of yourself and it shows. Sounds like you were also no worse for the wear of enjoying yourself at the wedding Saturday night. You showed a great example of balance – kudos!!

Lindsey @ Foodie on the Rocks June 2, 2010 at 10:44 am

Whoa, whoa, whoa. That overnight oats parfait looks insanely good. I switched it up this morning and had granola and yogurt and now I’m really craving my oats!

Thanks for the link love! :D Those burgers rocked and I totally shared the leftover ones with my buds on our Memorial Day climbing trip and they liked them too!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter June 2, 2010 at 10:51 am

I can’t wait to get home and buy everything for the chocolate overnight oats. Until then I’m trying to not buy anything new. boo.

Lizzie June 2, 2010 at 10:55 am

Better late than never, but congrats on your 1/2!! I read the update, but was too busy to comment. Amazing job!! Thanks for the link on icing – I haven’t done it yet, but good to know that there are some precautions to be taken.

Nicole Y. @ An Adventurous Life June 2, 2010 at 11:14 am

You VOO w/banana soft serve always look so decadent and delicious that my mouth waters, haha!! my favorite chocolate mix in is Amazing Grass Greens Super Food Cacao Infusion! (lol, that was a mouthful!)

Diana @ frontyardfoodie June 2, 2010 at 11:24 am

Icing is super good but I’m terribly out of the habit of doing it. I’m inspired though! I’ll definitely give it a whirl after my next long run which might be a while since I’m so pregnant. haha

Kat (My Fruity Life) June 2, 2010 at 11:41 am

The pictures of you completing your race brought tears to my eyes…what a wonderful accomplishment! And to have your supportive hubby there the whole time. I hope to do the same thing someday. Great job!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 2, 2010 at 12:00 pm

aww thank you! xo

Lauren June 2, 2010 at 11:59 am

I very recently started icing too, and it’s amazing to see how helpful it can be. Glad to see you’re feeling great after that awesome half!

Cynthia (It All Changes) June 2, 2010 at 1:32 pm

I love icing…and not the kind on cupcakes. It helps me with all the injury problems I’ve had to be able to enjoy running still. ANd it feels so good.

Fueling for Fitness June 2, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I’m very excited to try the bars! I happened to be online just at the right time to order them last night. I am totally integrating them into my schedule during my marathon training this summer. :)

-Alison

Ashley June 2, 2010 at 2:42 pm

My layered VOO never comes out as pretty as yours!! It always kind of sinks in the soft serve. They look amazing. I’m still currently hooked on Pnut butter banana soft serve. And wow, EIGHT grams of fiber??? THat is insane..some days I have to consciously tone DOWN my fiber intake. Crazy!

Jen @ Happy Heart, Happy Mind June 2, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Thanks for the shout out!!! Chia eggs are my favorite :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) June 2, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Your layers always look so perfect!!!!! The VOO look amazing!!

Logan June 3, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Boy does that look good!!!