A big thank-you for your support with my new Liberate Glo Bar launch last night. We sold out! I will be letting you know when more will hit the shopping cart.
I could not believe it but my body bounced back so quickly from my half marathon on Sunday. You might remember my second half marathon when following the race, I took 2 weeks off exercise because I just felt worn out. Well, this 3rd race was much different. I felt so good yesterday, I was actually craving a bike ride. I did just over 7 miles– with hills- and the legs felt fine. My blister is still very raw, but luckily the motion of cycling didn’t push on the blister and make it hurt.
Here is what I did post-race
- Iced sore spots on drive home
- Had a high protein Renew Glo Bar on drive home (I always eat within 60 mins of intense exercise)
- Ice bath as soon as I got home (approx 1 hour following race), for about 10 minutes or so.
- I napped for 45 minutes Sunday
- Got a full 8 hours of sleep Sunday night
- I iced sore spots about 4 times Sunday and Monday, off and on
- Ice bath first thing Monday morning upon waking
- I stretched twice on Sunday and once on Monday for just a few minutes each time
- I went for a very slow walk with Eric Monday night (20 mins)
- Lots of healthy food!!
- I was active on my feet with work and I think this improved blood flow to muscles
I was never one to ice my sore muscles, but after my experience with this race, I am definitely going to add icing to my repertoire. It seems to really help. For how to ice SAFELY see this article. It is a very important read before icing!
This morning I dove into some chocolate banana soft serve vegan overnight oats…
For my video demo on how to make these delicious breakfast parfaits, see here. I am hoping to do demo videos of all of my favourite and most popular recipes. I just need to go through my crazy long recipe page! Any suggestions on what recipe I should do a video of next?
The only thing I changed in this batch was that I added a heaping tablespoon of cocoa powder while making the banana soft serve. It turned into a chocolaty dream! I can’t decide what I like better- banana soft serve with carob powder or cocoa powder! They are both amazing.
I also meant to mention last week that I started making TRIPLE batches of the vegan overnight oats to save a bit of time at night.
Triple batch of Vegan Overnight Oats
- 1 heaping cup regular oats
- 2.5 cups almond milk
- 3 heaping tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of Amazing Grass Chocolate Amazing Meal Powder
Directions: Whisk all ingredients together and place in fridge. Good for 3 mornings! Note, you can also make a triple batch of 1/2 cup oat servings, by using 1.5 cups oats, 3 and 1/4 cups milk, 3 tbsp chia seeds, 1 tsp vanilla, and 1/4 cup protein powder. It just depends on what serving size you prefer! Sometimes I make my VOO with 1/2 cup and sometimes with 1/3 cups, it just depends on how hungry I am and also what toppings I will be adding on.
If you look closely you can see a layer of Nature’s Path Rice Crisp near the bottom!
With Cacao nibs to crunch on.
Health News Round Up:
It’s that time again for some of my favourite health articles from the past week. Oh, and I also threw in a couple things that made me giggle (see humour). Laughing is healthy, right?
- 3 Misconceptions about meditation and why I might try it again –Huffington Post
- Toronto Residents check out FREE YOGA sessions over at King West Fitness! – King West Fitness
- How exactly does the 10% rule work? – Fit Sugar
- Delicious new reader green monster recipes are up! – Green Monster Movement
- Fibre: It doesn’t just bulk your stool – Huffington Post
- How to stay safe when cycling – Globe and Mail
- A recipe I’m dying to make: Homemade almond milk – Thatsfit.ca
- Do you have one of these 4 addictions? – Huffington Post
- BPA: It’s not just in plastics – Daily Spark
- Dr. Oz’s B.E.A.C.H. plan – Thatsfit.com
- Would you like to share your weight loss journey? – Thatsfit.com
- Humour: What your email address says about you – The Oatmeal
- Humour: Do you like saying EPIC? This comic is for you! – The Dog House Diaries
- Vegan egg white spotting
- Homemade Chocolate covered raisins
- Banana Soft Serve Vegan Overnight Oats and again here and here!
- Nut Butter crusted fries and here
- In A Jiffy Spelt Veggie Burgers
- Vegan Overnight Oats
- Cheezy Savoury Oats
See you this afternoon for a very unique 1,000 words post. Hint: It involves me drawing a comic. Oh yes.
Have a great hump-day!