What I Ate After A Half Marathon

Happy Memorial Day to my American readers! I hope you are enjoying a lovely day off.

Thank you for your amazing comments on yesterday’s half marathon. It means a lot to me to have your support! Also, thank-you to a couple of you who suggested contacting the race director about my experience with the man taking pictures of me on his cell phone. I emailed the director last night and told him/her about my experience. I also asked if there were ways that next year’s race may be made more safe either by a closed course, more police officers on course (there weren’t many!), or some other method. Hopefully it opens the dialogue on the topic! I am anxious to see what they say and I will let you all know.

Now onto yesterday’s post-half marathon delicious eats!

As I mentioned in the race recap, I had a high protein Renew Glo bar on the drive home and lots of water.

IMG 8252 thumb1   What I Ate After A Half Marathon

Shortly following my ice bath, I had lunch!

IMG 8255 thumb   What I Ate After A Half Marathon

I was craving my cheezy savoury oats in a huge way!

IMG 8256 thumb   What I Ate After A Half Marathon

The recipe can be found here. I added extra turmeric spice to this batch because it acts as a natural anti-inflammatory.

IMG 8257 thumb   What I Ate After A Half Marathon

Boom.

IMG 8263 thumb   What I Ate After A Half Marathon

My toppings included: 1/2 cup pasta sauce, 1 cup black beans, Mary’s Crackers (crushed), 1/4 cup red pepper hummus, lots of sea salt, and ground pepper. It was sooo good!

IMG 8264 thumb   What I Ate After A Half Marathon

I made sure to add a lot of salt to the batch because I sweat out a TON of salt during my race. My whole body was covered in salt!

I also had a RAW + GF Glo Bar, which by the way, go on sale tomorrow night starting at 9pm EST! I will only be selling about 20 batches to begin with because they are very time intensive.

IMG 8281 thumb   What I Ate After A Half Marathon

Then I proceeded to nap for about 45 minutes! Felt sooo good.

After the nap, I had a chocolate milkshake, which consisted of a scoop of Chocolate Amazing Meal Protein Powder and 1 cup of almond milk.

IMG 8289 thumb   What I Ate After A Half Marathon

During the afternoon, I also snacked on an unphotographed apple with cashew butter.

Dinner was a HUGE sweet potato (the size of about 2 regular ones) that Eric BBQ’d on the grill wrapped in tin foil. It was awesome! I drizzled it with BBQ sauce and Navy beans. I had a 1/2 cup of salsa on the side. It was so delicious! I seasoned with sea salt and black pepper.

IMG 8291 thumb   What I Ate After A Half Marathon

It was such a random dinner, but I loved it so much.

IMG 8292 thumb   What I Ate After A Half Marathon

Sweet potatoes on the grill are amazing…highly recommend it! I zapped them in the micro for about 5 minutes before hand and I think they took about 20-30 minutes on the grill wrapped in tin foil.

IMG 8293 thumb   What I Ate After A Half Marathon

Then we ate copious amounts of my 3 ingredient homemade chocolate covered raisins (well 4 ingredients because this batch was the rice crisp batch!) while watching The Proposal for the umpteenth time. I had my race chocolate- just several hours after the fact! :biggrin:

IMG 8302 thumb   What I Ate After A Half Marathon

We probably had half a batch between the two of us! I did not move from the couch all night and it was glorious.

How am I feeling post-half marathon?

I am feeling pretty good and not quite as sore as my last half-marathon race.

I attribute this to two things:

1) Icing on the drive home

2) Ice Baths for 10 minutes- I had another ice bath when I got up this morning and one as soon as I got home yesterday. Please note that ice baths should never go below 50-55F, but generally I have mine around 60F. Even just cold baths with no ice are supposed to help! Bring in a thermometer into the tub to be sure and always consult with your doctor before doing so.

What is sore/hurting?

I do not have any concerning pains, but I do have lots of little things…

• One huge, raw blister on my right heel. This happened in mile TWO and I had to endure it for the entire race. It was sooo painful. It was my fault though- I wore different socks than usual! Rule of racing- nothing new on race day- oops, my bad.
  • Small blister on left heel.
  • Very mild chafing from my Camelbak where the strap rubbed. I meant to put on Bodyglide before the race but I forgot.
  • Muscle tightness all over, especially in groin, quads, arms, back. Lots of stretching and I am icing sore spots a few times a day.
  • Swollen top of right foot. I tied my shoelace too tight and the top of my right foot was VERY sore yesterday. I made sure to ice it. The swelling has gone down 50% today and it isn’t as sore, but it is still swollen slightly. I expect it is nothing serious and should be fine in a couple days.
  • a BRUISE from my necklace that I wore! I got a small bruise from the pendant (it is fairly heavy) bouncing against my chest during the run. Weird, huh?

Here is the necklace I wore (it says Taurus on it)

IMG 82122v thumb   What I Ate After A Half Marathon

What about you- what minor things and major things have you experienced following a race? Anything weird or something that surprised you?

The thing that surprised me the most was the bruise from my necklace. Live and learn I guess!

I have been baking since early this morning and will be baking all week, so I don’t have the luxury of physically resting today, but I am hoping that my activity will get the blood flowing and expedite the recovery process!

In tonight’s post I will be talking about race quirks…see you then! :kissing:

Jessica @ The Process of Healing May 31, 2010

I’m a Taurus too!!! I never would’ve thought you could get a bruise from that either though.
Ohhh I loooooove the Proposal!!! SO hilarious!

AngelaOSG May 31, 2010

hehe yea I love that movie too! Eric sighs everytime I ask to watch it (I’ve seen it 4 times now!).

Nancy May 31, 2010

It’s always so interesting to see what people eat before/after any race. Especially having you as a vegan and my boyfriend as a total meat-eater. Obviously on a completely different spectrum, but neat non the less.

Hope you get some answers on that creeper-guy at the race, and next year they’ll have more staff and volunteers on hand.

Hannah May 31, 2010

Congratulations again, Angela! I’m glad you are doing something about that creeper guy-it’s not fair how women are treated (still) and I’m glad you are proactive about it!

How much are the raw bars going to be in american dollars?

Melissa Cari @ Miles for Markets May 31, 2010

I ran a half on Saturday and was so surprised when my ARMS started hurting/feeling weak. Also, the inner part of my thigh. Both areas never hurt during training runs. I was definitely pushing myself much harder than training runs, so maybe that did it? Still, so strange.

Your oatmeal looks delic! I really need to make that asap.

And P.S. we have the same birthday. I love being a May baby :)

Happy belated bday!

Its crazy to me that my arms are sore! But I guess thinking about it, they are working hard too! lol

Rachel May 31, 2010

I once wore a fairly heavy necklace to spin class – during jumps it kept flying up and hitting me in the mouth! I was convinced I was going to lose a tooth – needless to say I didn’t do that again!

Your oats look fantastic! “Naked” they remind me of Kraft Dinner!

Veggielady4life May 31, 2010

It’s good you notified the race about that guy. Really creepy. Hopefully, it won’t happen again the future. Hope you can squeeze in some rest even though you will be baking up a storm!

nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope May 31, 2010

man, I really need to get more Glo Bars. Actually, it would be a lot easier if you would just hit it reallly big and get to sell them in stores around here, hehe.
I might try your savory oats sometime. They actually look super delicious.
Also, so bizarre about the necklace bruise!!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter May 31, 2010

I’m glad you aren’t too sore this morning!

I love the proposal. And the best part is that my guy friends all love it too :)

Lindsay @ Summit Sandwiches May 31, 2010

At my last half marathon, I became psychotically hungry around mile 4. I mean, stomach-growling-loud-enough-for-other-runners-to-hear hungry. In all my training runs, this kind of hunger had never happened, and even though I ate the exact same thing that I normally ate before my long runs the morning of my race, this hunger still reared its ugly head at my race. I have no idea what put me over the edge that morning, but it was rough. Then finally, around mile 7, they had a banana and cookie station. I was like the cookie monster when I descened upon that poor little booth. I don’t think they even knew what had hit it by the time I left. I love my COOOKIES. And goodlord, that banana did me a world of good. I’ve never felt so happy afer an influx of sugar in my life! :)

AngelaOSG May 31, 2010

hahah that is so cute! I am sure they were more than happy to feed you!

Annie@stronghealthyfit May 31, 2010

Congrats! What a great thing to be able to run a half marathon. I am hoping to run my first one this summer or fall. All of your food looks so good!

Liss May 31, 2010

Have you noticed a difference in your skin ( more clear, less breakouts) or an increased energy level from the Amazing grass products? I had heard that and am thinking of ordering some, but it’s expensive so I thought I would get some feedback first :-) Thanks , great job with your marathon!

AngelaOSG May 31, 2010

My skin has become more clear since eating a vegan diet, but I wouldn’t be able to attribute that to one food/powder in particular. I think it was just due to the fact that I eat a lot less processed foods now.

Tina May 31, 2010

Glad you are feeling okay overall. Those little ailments sound like they are still painful (and frustrating) though. I hope they get better fast for you.

Annie D. @ Annie'sSimpleLife May 31, 2010

I almost ALWAYS get a blister on my foot or pinkie toe!!! And my legs always seem to be sore for a day or two. Stretching is generally the best thing for me.

Radiance and Sunshine May 31, 2010

Congrats on a good race! You are my inspiration to keep running, I’m training for my first 5k in September right now. I hope your soreness gets better soon!

I tried my very first green monster yesterday, and it was amazing! Today I made one with blueberries. Yum! I have a question, if I don’t have bananas on hand what can I do to replace them? Would I add yogurt along with the milk and spinach? What are your suggestions? Thanks so much!

AngelaOSG May 31, 2010

Yes yogurt works! I like canteloupe too! I would advise against use all of one type of berry though- they are usually a bit tart on their own…and usually go best with 1/2 a banana or so. Protein powder can also sweeten it up if you have some that has sweetener in it or you can always use some good ol maple syrup!

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ May 31, 2010

Love the proposal. Great after race eats. I love the sweet potato idea, I’m going to have to try that, I love those things.

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies May 31, 2010

Mmmm – great eats!!! Glad you emailed them! Hopefully it’ll get them thinking!

Krystina May 31, 2010

I really want to order your raw bars! If not, I definitely plan on ordering either Renew, Run or Adore. :)

Dana in KC May 31, 2010

I made cheesy, savory oats this morning for the first time. Oh wow are they great! I love having a new savory breakfast to have (I guess they would be good anytime). I eat eggs but don’t like to eat them too often.

Nicole Y. @ An Adventurous Life May 31, 2010

I love seeing your daily eats, it helps keep my meals varied! Thanks for sharing all of your delicious creations!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss May 31, 2010

haha having a bruise from a necklace is weird! I guess it makes sense..but it’s still a funny little mark to have. Those savory oats looks awesome! Ohhh man..better than mac n cheese!

AngelaOSG May 31, 2010

I agree it is weird…and it is even sore like a normal bruise! haha. I find that funny I dont know why.

claire May 31, 2010

Sounds like a good plan to email the race director, what a creepy situation that they don’t need to happen again!

The post race eats sound great!

Kristin (Salty Tooth May 31, 2010

Congrats on the race! You are amazing!

christina cadden May 31, 2010

That sweet potato looks good. I am going to have to try it on the grill!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is May 31, 2010

Those may be the most savory oats I have ever seen.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 31, 2010

Ice baths look torturous, but I guess they are worth it if they help reduce the soreness!

I love having huuuge sweet potatoes for a lighter dinner. They also taste awesome with a diced tomato, black bean and onion topping!

EmilyGG May 31, 2010

My first 1/2 marathon was yesterday, (1:52:48 and very proud:)) and I felt great following the race, and from previous long run experiences I learned that light walking and moving around during the rest of the day help me from getting stiff and sore. And I did some light exercise today to keep the muscles feeling good.

AngelaOSG May 31, 2010

Wow congrats on a fabulous race!!

Kara @ MyWellnest May 31, 2010

Congrats on your race!
I’ve had clothing rub against my skin during a race that resulted in a strange mark, but I can’t believe your necklace gave you a bruise!

Nicole May 31, 2010

Congrats on your half! Things I’ve noticed: that I didn’t pay enough attention to my surroundings, that I should always eat PB&J on ezekial before I race, that if you wear your (even seemingly lightweight) cell phone in a Nathan’s pack, you WILL bruise your back (Boston 08 – and that bruise hurt more than ANYTHING on me!). I learned you have to enjoy the race – after all, you’ve worked so hard to get there! :)

I can’t believe your necklace bruised you – I wear my lucky large Tiffany Bean all the time – and no bruising, ever!

Hoping it feels better soon! :)

jen May 31, 2010

congrats on your half marathon!! i’ve been a long time reader, love your blog! so many great recipes and tips.

i just completed my first marathon yesterday and used to ALWAYS get blisters even during some training runs, but i woke up this morning BLISTER FREE! After 6 races, i’ve found the perfect combo: lululemon ultimate running socks and covering every part of my feet ( and between) toes in vaseline before i put on the socks. 42.2k later – no blisters :)

AngelaOSG May 31, 2010

Congrats on yuor marathon!!! That is amazing. I honestly don’t know how marathoners do it. Everytime I have run a half I say to myself thank GAWWWWD I’m not running a full. lol. Kudos.
Great tip re: lulu socks and vaseline too! Might try it.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) May 31, 2010

I can’t believe your pendant gave you a bruise!! How annoying!!!

Wei-Wei May 31, 2010

Maybe because the only post-race eats I’ve seen are Caitlin’s at Healthy Tipping Point, but this doesn’t seem like a lot of food to me. :S Maybe I’m unobservant or ignorant, but… Meh.

Congrats on the race again! I’m proud of you. :)

Wei-Wei

AngelaOSG May 31, 2010

In my opinion, it is always best to listen to your own hunger signals/body as opposed to comparing yourself to what another person eats.

Wei-Wei May 31, 2010

I agree – I’m sorry, it was unreasonable to compare you to somewhere else. Just do what’s right for you! As long as you feel good, that’s awesome. :)

Wei-Wei

No worries! =)

Jenny May 31, 2010

I can’t believe you got a bruise from your necklace!

Carla in Sydney May 31, 2010

Congrats on your HM result Angela!!! Great work! Agree that the “photo guy” sounds very creepy and suspicious….Unfortunately there are so many disturbed people out there and they really need to do something to try and make the races safer.

I tend to get chafing everywhere if I don’t use bodyglide so nothing really surprises me anymore….
but I always feel horrified when I see men coming through the finish line with the blood trails down their shirts from their nipples chafing….OUCH!!! Thanks goodness women wear bras!! :-)

haha…that reminds me of The office…the 5k episode! lol

Lisa May 31, 2010

I’m glad you wrote the people higher up. That guy with the camera sounds SUPER creepy!

Erin May 31, 2010

Glad to hear you’re doing okay today. Looks like you had a great day of eats–everything looks fab. :D

Lauren @ Eater not a runner May 31, 2010

I’m surprisingly sore in my quads today after my half marathon. I’ve never had a blister from running though, sounds painful!

Congrats on your half!

*Andrea* May 31, 2010

oh my god those oats look to die for! i love mexican cuisine but the cheese leaves my tummy feeling not so good after.. i need to purchase nutritional yeast asap!

congrats again on the race! so fabulous!

Hayley @ Breath of Fire May 31, 2010

After my half my sore hip turned into an all-out injury that I still have not recovered from- Grrrr! Getting there, though. I’m glad you had a much better outcome!

eatmovelove May 31, 2010

Yikes I eat more than you and I don’t run! ;)
Great job !

Cynthia (It All Changes) May 31, 2010

I strained my calf at my last race. I’m in PT for it because I wasn’t smart.

At our Turkey Trot this past year they didn’t close off the roads and it felt like we were being chased by cars. Scary!

Page 1 of 212»