She’s Quirky

Good evening!

Today felt never-ending even though it was pretty much a typical day in the bakery.

IMG 8326 thumb   She’s Quirky

My muscles felt progressively stiff as the day went on and I had lots of Glo Bars to make.

If yesterday was the running half marathon, today felt like the baking marathon.

I got it done, thankfully! I knew I had today to get caught up on all my orders today because tomorrow is a very special day in the bakery- (Gluten-free + Raw Glo Bars for sale at 9pm EST).

Around 7:30pm, I thought of you all.

I think of you a lot. Did you know that?

I think about what kinds of foods I can come up with to interest you. I was soooooo tempted to throw a stinkin’ veggie burger on the skillet and call it a night, but I wanted to create. I think if it wasn’t for this blog I would eat the same 3 meals everyday! :lol: Actually, I know I would because I totally used to.

I opened the fridge and I realized we had no vegetables to speak of except for 2 lone red peppers.

It was a sign.

IMG 8329 thumb   She’s Quirky

This dinner was inspired by my wedding dinner on Saturday night which was a gorgeous curried rice stuffed pepper:

IMG 1303 thumb   She’s Quirky

I love stuffed peppers.

It’s like Christmas morning when you cut one open. As Forest Gump said, You never know what you’re gonna get.’

IMG 8335 thumb   She’s Quirky IMG 8334 thumb   She’s Quirky

Well, technically I knew, because I made this one, but we can pretend…

IMG 8351 thumb   She’s Quirky

Easy & Delicious Stuffed Peppers

Ingredients:

• 2 red peppers
  • 1.5 cups uncooked lentils (estimate only!)
  • 1 cup pasta sauce
  • 3-4 tbsp sweet BBQ sauce
  • Sea salt, pepper to taste

Directions: Cook lentils according to package directions. While the lentils are cooking, preheat the oven to 350F. Cut top top of the peppers off and carefully remove the inner seeds to your liking. Pop the peppers onto a baking sheet and into the oven to pre-cook for about 20 minutes while the lentils are cooking. Remove the peppers from the oven and set aside. Rinse the lentils with a colander and rinse out the pot that you cooked the lentils in. Place the drained lentils back into the pot and add the pasta sauce, BBQ sauce, and seasonings. Stir well. Taste. Adjust sauce if necessary. Fill the two peppers with the lentil mixture and place them carefully onto the baking sheet. Place into the oven for another 15-30 minutes checking it every 10 minutes or so. Peppers are ready when they have some character to them.

IMG 83472 thumb   She’s Quirky

Lentils are quite the superfood boasting approx. 19-25 grams of protein and 18-22 grams of fibre per cooked cup, depending on the type you use. They are also very high in folate, iron, Vitamin B1, copper, and tryptophan. Tryptophan is thought to enhance relaxation and sleep, soothes nerves and anxiety, and reduces carbohydrate cravings.

IMG 8355 thumb   She’s Quirky

I was feeling mighty relaxed after this meal too!

Chef Eric prepared the side of raw carrots and hummus…(and they tasted better because he prepared them and not me). Score.

IMG 8332 thumb   She’s Quirky

IMG 8341 thumb   She’s Quirky

Christmas morning…!

IMG 8350 thumb   She’s Quirky

Eric proclaimed this was the best stuffed pepper he has ever tasted! And then he said, ‘Well, I think I have only had two stuffed peppers in my life, but this one is good.’

I’ll take it. :lol:

Race Quirks

Do you ever wonder what I think about during my half marathons? No? Didn’t think so. I am going to tell you anyways.

Yesterday during my half, I thought about what my race quirks are and this is what I came up with…

1. I always have to scream ‘yawhoo’ when the gun/horn goes off at the start of the race. I’m a 10 yr old like that.

2. I have never used an on-course porta-potty, only before and after the race.

3. I play 3-5 ‘power songs’ over and over and over during the race. These power songs change each race. Ninety percent of the songs on my Shuffle are not worthy race songs, meaning that they don’t pump me up enough to even play. Apparently, I’m quite the race song connoisseur.

4. I always clap and yell ‘good job’ to the runners in the lead (that is, if the course is a loop or out-and-back and they pass by in the other direction). In yesterday’s race we saw the lead women heading back a couple times during the loops. I always cheered for them and I even gave one a ‘side-five’. In my defense, the girl ahead of me did it first.

5. I thank every single volunteer that cheers me on or hands me a cup of Gatorade. I also thank some of the spectators that cheer for me. Sometimes it is a thank-you or sometimes I am so tired I just mouth the words and crack a sad, sad smile, but either way I try my best to show my gratitude, especially in the last few km’s when I need those words of encouragement so badly. I also think that positivity breeds more energy. When I smile and say thank-you, a bit of my pain is taken away. I will never forget the elderly volunteer lady who told me I had a beautiful smile during my 10 mile race. It carried me several minutes to the finish.

6. If I see someone struggling on the course, I ask them if they are ok. I saw a girl yesterday who stopped to walk and looked like she may pass out. I stopped to see if she was ok. I would hope that others would do the same for me!

7. While I consider myself a ‘happy runner’ in races, internally, I swear and curse like a truck driver. If you were to hear some of my inner dialogue while running a half, it would be similar to the Jerry Springer show or a Pussycat Dolls video. I curse, I get angry, and I do the MAD FACE when I see a hill approaching. It ain’t pretty. Note- mad face –> :angry: I also made this face upon seeing creeper on bike.

8. However, I always ham it up for the on-course photographer. The on-course photographer serves one purpose- a few seconds of sheer entertainment where I am not thinking about how tired I am. I give a thumbs up and a smile. I realize this looks extremely nerdy, but I get stage fright and can’t come up with anything else. The thumbs up works, and I use it. During my first 10k race, I threw my arms over my head and cheered for the photographer, but this used up way too many energy reserves. Rookie mistake. A thumbs up is energy efficient and practical. I highly recommend it. However… my right arm is oddly sore today….

9. I slow down going downhill and speed up going uphill. I don’t understand it, so I don’t expect you to either.

10. I do not run and drink at the same time. Much like I do not run while carrying scissors, I don’t expect to drink fluids while gasping for air and running and survive. I tried it once and I almost coughed up a lung. [However, I highly recommend drinking while running if you are using a Camelbak!]

11. I wear the same OLD ‘lucky’ white Nike hat for each training run and race. I wash it occasionally and the dirt doesn’t come off. I wear it anyways. I got it 9 or 10 years ago. I have perfectly good hats sitting in my closet, but for some strange reason I do not wear them.

12. I sing. Out loud. If you ever see me on a race course and you see me singing to myself, you know I am in a very bad, bad place. I did this around mile 11 yesterday. It wasn’t pretty.

13. I talk to myself out loud. I repeat my mantra. I say random things like ‘strong, strong, strong, strong, strong’ and adopt obnoxious breathing patterns similar to those annoying guys in gym weight rooms.

Do you have race quirks or just exercise quirks in general? Do you have any systematic ways of doing things or superstitious beliefs?

Carly @ The Road To Health May 31, 2010

I do breathing patterns too, and every so often I take a deep breath and let it out really loudly! I also do a lot of mantras in my head like “go girl go!” and “You can do this!”. Totally helps! I speed up going uphill too! It helps get the hill over with. For me anyways… :)

Shannon, Tropical Eats May 31, 2010

hahaha #7 is so true for me as well. I rarely everrr curse so ya know somethings gotta be wrong when i do (like attempting to run in 100 degree weather and just to die you’re so tired )

This is terrible but I enjoy when I get a honk from a car when im running down the street. It is an ego booster that makes me wanna keep running! Ok now im embarrassed… time for bed lol

Amy May 31, 2010

I haven’t actually done a race, but whenever I’m on the treadmill, I like to repeat any positive thoughts that will give me the energy to keep going (it varies each time). I like how you said saying “thank you” gives you a boost… I think I’ll use it as a new mantra and say it to myself as I’m running! When I’ve been going for a little while and I start thinking things like, “Oh man, another x minutes to go?!” I love to pretend that I’m just starting my run and I instantly (in most cases, anyway) feel refreshed and reenergized! :)

Kristina May 31, 2010

when I get in my running ‘zone’ I have a weird breathing pattern, I kinda cut both in and out breaths in half. I also start counting my footsteps. then when I become conscious of my counting, I start over. I’ve been doing both of these things for YEARS, they work for me. :)

congrats on another great run, Angela. I love reading your recaps. Good luck (and have FUN) to both you & Eric this weekend!

Michal May 31, 2010

I made your Bean Dip stuffed pepper this weekend and I love it! I’m very excited about stuffed veggies now and I’ll have to try this one too.
I always think about how silly the things I think about while running are :-p So I appreciate this post!
I have lots of quirks, but I’m not thinking of any exercise-related offhand… perhaps they haven’t developed yet!

Shelly May 31, 2010

I love stuffed peppers! And red ones are my favorite! I usually make a version with jasmine rice, ground turkey, tomato sauce, and Parmesan- but I’ve been on the lookout for a vegetarian version! I’ll have to give this a try- I love lentils and normally top them with pickled bell peppers so this would probably appeal to my palate! :)

Mandy May 31, 2010

Ha! Thanks for always telling it like it is. This gave me one heck of a laugh, especially #12. Oh man, too good. :)

Jacklyn May 31, 2010

I definitely have weird ‘breathing’ quirks. I remember someone telling me that you lose less energy if you breathe in and out through your nose instead of your mouth when your tired, so I always try to do that in weird, long intervals. I have asthma, though, so I always end up sucking in gulps of air through my mouth anyway. Hahaha.

Lisa May 31, 2010

Those are great quirks! I laughed out loud reading them! I’ve been meaning to make “race” playlists on my iPod and I’ve been lazy. Great idea to pack it with power songs!

Camille May 31, 2010

What a delicious and beautiful lunch!
I am the same way with the power songs. All I need is 5 songs to get me through however long a run!

Amber K May 31, 2010

I loved reading your “quirks” as well as the ones in the comments section. I absolutely love how we are all crazy in our own way. =)

Taylor S. May 31, 2010

When I get really tired in a run, I try to think of myself as light as a feather. Tiredness causes me to sink into the ground and start to pound the pavement (no good), so i start taking longer strides and jumping higher into the air so I have more hang time :). I count them too haha

Lisa (bakebikeblog) May 31, 2010

Oh my – I have so many similar quirks! I too find myself singing out loud – and definitely ‘ham’ it up for the photographers (resulting in WAAAAY too many photos of me with a goofy smile and thumbs up!).
Having volunteered at races before I am ALWAYS sure to say a huge thankyou to the volunteers as I pass :)

Jenna @ Healthy. Happy. Well. May 31, 2010

Thank you for posting this, right here and right now. It couldn’t have come at a better time. O’m running my second half marathon this Saturday and feel way less prepared than I did the first time around. I tried not drinking any fluids at all the first time, and also tried to keep pace with my much more experienced friend. This time around it will be all on my pace and will include stopping for water. Thank you for all your tips. Do you have any pre-race meal tips?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 1, 2010

oh yes water is crucial during a race! Good plan :) Pre-race meals tips are to keep it high car and very low fat and protein as they are said to have the potential to cause stomach cramps. Carbs digest quickly. My vegan overnight oats were perfect and I didnt feel any hunger during my half until about 1030am.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter May 31, 2010

Though I’ve never done a half marathon I know I would definitely always say thank you and check to see if people are okay. I love when people are nice to me like that, and I always appreciate people checking in on me to make sure I’m not going to pass out (which I almost have numerous of times, so these checks are very beneficial)

Cristina May 31, 2010

I always tie and re-tie my shoes about 5 times while I’m standing waiting for the gun to go off… I can never get them to feel just right before a race!

I also spend a lot of time calculating times in my head, like “If I can finish this mile in 4 more minutes, and maintain a 10:30 pace from here on out, my time will be…” It takes a lot of concentration, because I usually can’t think too strait during a race :p so it gives me something to focus on besides the pain! lol

claire June 1, 2010

The peppers look great lady! I definitely wanna give them a try. I did make some of your banana soft serve overnight oats that I put on my bloggie today, they were delicious! I know what you mean about thinking about the readers and trying to create something more interesting than a veg burger. I can’t imagine posting every day though because I do just want to have them more often than I care to admit.
The running quirks are great and I have my fair share of them too…some like yours! I never rooted for other runners in high school or college cross country but now I really like to because the races are longer and would want someone to do the same for me.

jenny (Green Food Diaries) June 1, 2010

bahaha angela your “mad face” emoticon cracked me up, i’m not gonna lie. :D

Bridget June 1, 2010

It’s great to hear about all the different sides to your personality – it’s one of the many reasons why we all love you and your blog so much :) Your such a sweetheart, but you still know how to curse like a trucker haha!

By the way….those peppers? They look delicious! And I just so happen to have 2 ripe peppers in my fridge. Guess I know what’s for dinner tomorrow!!

Sara @ Fro Yo Foodie June 1, 2010

Hahaha, I love this list! You’d be an entertaining running buddy!

I JUST took a batch of your Peanut Butter and Jam Glo Bites out of the oven, and they are AMAZING! I think I ate three in under a minute. YUM. :-D

On the menu this week: You’re So Cheezy Savoury Oats!

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) June 1, 2010

This made me laugh out loud hahaha. I definitely thank every volunteer and sigh realllly loudly if I’m struggling. I think I take that away from yoga when they make us sigh it out. It really helps, but probably freaks people out! I do the same with the hills – slowing down stops me from tumbling down it haha. I also zig zag when going down, it helps with the knees!!

Meagan June 1, 2010

I am going to have to give your recipe for the stuffed peppers a try! I live in Hungary and I learned how to make stuff peppers recently, but to make their kind it takes a lot of prep time and ingredients. Plus I recently discovered my love of lentil so I’m interested to give your recipe a go!

Wei-Wei June 1, 2010

I’ve always wondered – when you cook stuffed bell peppers, what does the texture of the peppers become like? Do they become fork-soft, or slightly crunchy, like if they were roasted?

Your race quirks are too cute. <3

Wei-Wei

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 1, 2010

They get ‘character’ as I like to call it ;) They become wrinkly and blackened in spots. Very soft texture. No crunch.

Johanna June 1, 2010

Oh, antoher one who sing out loud while running! How awesome! :) I also repeat mantra and keep telling myself: “You are so great doing this, you’ve come this far, I know you can do it” and things like that. And I smile. Whenever a great song starts playing in my iPod, I simle and it gives me a lot of energy, beacuse is harder feeling tired and down when I smile. :)

I found you’re blog about a week ago, and I love it! A made my first green monster today, and it was great! Thank you for all the inspiration!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 1, 2010

I love the smiling to a good song tip..I agree that it is hard to feel tired when you smile. They have actually done research that found that just by smiling (even when you are unhappy) perks up your mood.

Melissa Cari @ Miles for Markets June 1, 2010

#7 is spot on for me haha. I loved this!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans June 1, 2010

Haha! I love your list. I usually start repeating the phrase “Running is just like walking, only faster” in my head. I think it helps me overcome the struggle because I walk all the time and always have, hahaha. I also use a few songs to get me pumped up too. Right now “Let It Rock” is my go-to when its getting tough out there.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 1, 2010

I love this ‘Running is just like walking, only faster’ hahahah soooo stealing that one!

Jackie June 1, 2010

Well, I’m not a runner so no race quirks to share. I do however talk to myself and sing out loud when on the treadmill. Sometimes apparently quite loud. Hubby could hear me singing outside at the opposite end of the yard a few times. I can only imagine what the neighbors think..LOL.

That stuffed pepper looks soooo good!!!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is June 1, 2010

I don’t run, but I always play a few power songs over and over again, too!

Marika June 1, 2010

I don’t sing aloud, but I do lip-sync to my music! I can only imagine what it must look like. Glad to know I’m not the only one! I definitely make angry faces during a race too.

Laura @ youngDCliving June 1, 2010

Great post! Those peppers look fabulous and I love the race quirks…especially about the cursing. That doesn’t quite apply to me with running, but definitely whilst driving and dealing with traffic, haha :)

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope June 1, 2010

I have never raced, so i have no quirks, yet…
However, this post is cracking me up because the other day I tried to run with water and the first swig I took, it took went down the wrong pipe and i was coughing and choking like an idiot. I am sure people around the park were like..uh ok.

Jess @ Jessica is Getting Fit June 1, 2010

Those stuffed peppers look SOOO good! I always love all your vegan recipes!

My race quirks are that I make a huge playlist and also that I love to color coordinate my outfit. I also am sure to smile at ALL the photographers!

Therese June 1, 2010

You are too cute! Ha!

I think my biggest race quirk is air guitaring. I tend to listen to a lot of classic rock and ’80′s rock like Guns ‘n’ Roses, AC/DC, The Who, etc. so I do have a habit of pulling out the ol’ air guitar during a race. It also helps to get me out of tough spots because I simply cannot air guitar without having a smile on my face!

KelseyJ June 1, 2010

I’m training for a race right now, so when I go on my long runs I definitely listen to the same 5 songs over and over. I pick songs with the perfect beat and then just loop the playlist on my iPod! It seems to get me through some of the tough patches.

mary June 1, 2010

How do you buy your lentils, for the life of me I cannot figure out how to cook them! every time I try it’s always an epic fail.

For races I wear the same sports bra (i ended up buying it actually at my first half marathon because I got all the way to philadelphia for the weekend and realized I forgot my bra) and I wear the same old ass new balance spandex capris. I’ve had them since I was 14 but I’ll be damned if I throw them away.

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 1, 2010

Mmm, that stuffed pepper looks great. What a fabulous, simple recipe!

Hmm, my race quirks…
I never use porta-pottys on the course, either!
I play a certain number of songs as well, ALWAYS upbeat. They keep me pumped!!
I always smile at/cheer for the leaders too, they deserve it!
I wear the same old, black dirty (although most often times CLEAN) adidas hat, every race. It just happens… oh, and I feel funny NOT wearing it. ;)
I always push as hard as I can up the hills… it goes by faster!
As much as I TRY not too… I always end up competing a little bit! ;)

xo
K

Simply Life June 1, 2010

Oh those peppers look delicious!

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies June 1, 2010

Love that pepper! and your race quirks! Many of them are so positive! I’m sure they not only do wonders for the people you’re cheering for but for yourself as well.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman June 1, 2010

Mm, those peppers look good. I never make stuffed peppers because I never know what to stuff them with. Congrats on the race!

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 1, 2010

I love stuffed peppers, good choice with the lentils.

Page 1 of 3123»