Sluuuurp

Good morning :kissing:

Loved reading your comments on the drawings last night!

IMG 1033 thumb1   Sluuuurp

Can you honestly handle our talent?! We can’t.

We thought it was really interesting that most of you thought I drew the TOP one! I guess you just weren’t prepared for my mad skillz.

Yesterday I also did a 10k bike ride in 31:31 mins. The weather has been amazing this week and I can’t wait to get out there again today.

IMG 7298 thumb   Sluuuurp

Still guzzling down the greens!

IMG 7294 thumb   Sluuuurp

In this morning’s Green Monster: 2 cups spinach, 1 cup almond milk, 1 frozen banana, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 1 tsp maca powder, 1/2 scoop Amazing Grass wheatgrass powder.

Shop 4 A Cause 2

Today is the last day to get your Shop 4 A Cause 2 submissions in! I am so excited for next Wednesday! There are already several items that I want to bid on. :biggrin: Could be trouble. Don’t forget you have until tonight to email me (angela@ohsheglows.com) your submissions! I would love to get at least 10 more submissions by the end of today.

Some items already up for auction: Personal training sessions, nutritional assessment from a registered dietitian, private yoga session, 6 layer vegan bars, a huge Starbucks coffee/tea pack, Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred + other fun workout DVDs, tons of running + marathon books, hand-crafted gorgeous jewelry, painting/artwork, hand-crafted reusable lunch bag + sandwich/snack bags, workout clothing, candles, hand-crafted apron, call-me cards, Amazing Grass powder, and so much more!

Today’s question: Do you buy used or second-hand items often? Do you use Ebay, Craigslist, or shop at thrift or second-hand shops?

I am a huge fan of buying second-hand items. Many of my Lululemon clothes were bought gently used off Ebay. Most of our furniture is also used or handed down from family members. I also love going to antique shops and Flea markets to see what treasures there have. Eric is taking me to an antique + flea market this weekend and I hope to pick up a piece of furniture for the house. I think it is a great way to recycle and it is also fun to hunt for.

Jessica @ How Sweet May 20, 2010

I don’t mind buying things 2nd hand, but I rarely buy them off ebay or craisglist because I am just afraid. Much of our funiture is from relatives, tho – and so are alot of my kitchen gadgets!

Megan@EatScrapRun May 20, 2010

I buy a lot of clothing second-hand. Usually I go to thrift stores or consignment shops, but if it’s a store where I know my size really well, I will buy clothes off ebay too. Sounds like you have a great list of items so far for the auction :)

Allison @ Food For Healing May 20, 2010

i knew it! haha Yes! I guess i just have an eye for those kind of things?

Jenny May 20, 2010

I love this second-hand shop in Gainesville called Urban Thread- it sells Free People, J. Crew and urban Outfitters clothes at a discounted price!

LindsayH May 20, 2010

i love thrifting and shopping for vintage stuff and antiques. most of our furniture is vintage and i have a lot of vintage clothes and accessories as well. i like thrifting but i have to force myself to be really picky, otherwise i just end up with a bunch of stuff that’s only so-so instead of a few things that i really love.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 20, 2010

I love Value Village aka VV Boutique!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman May 20, 2010

I never shop secondhand. I always feel like it’s so much work, but I wish I were good at scouring flea markets and thrift stores. You can get some great things.

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin May 20, 2010

I loooove Thrift stores. I like them more for furniture and dishes than clothes/shoes, but Goodwill and I are good friends.

Wei-Wei May 20, 2010

WOOT! I guessed right! :D We can’t HANDLE the talent! (hahaha.)

I would love to be able to shop secondhand or vintage, but sadly my mom is a little against it. She thinks clothes and such are dirty :( but I really like all the little things you can find from vintage stores… they’re so cool! :D I would die for a Goodwill to be here in China. XD

Wei-Wei

Sarah May 20, 2010

I’m looking forward to bidding on some of those items!

jenny (Green Food Diaries) May 20, 2010

you have the best placemats!

Lauren May 20, 2010

I love antiques and flea markets and hope to do my entire home out of them one day. Can’t wait to see what Shop 4 a Cause has to offer!

Morgan @ Life After Bagels May 20, 2010

all of my furniture is hand me down, except our bed actually. We’re currently scouring craigslist for bikes, but I’ve never done ebay before.

Can’t wait for the auction!

She-Fit May 20, 2010

I love buying second hand items… it’s such an adventure finding stuff. Almost like a treasure hunt :)

k8 May 20, 2010

I buy pretty much everything second hand. It’s a curse and a blessing.

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies May 20, 2010

I’ve used E-bay on a number of occasions but Craigslist just scares the crap out of me.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter May 20, 2010

There’s a really great antique shop close to me that is great for pearl jewelry. I absolutely love it!

Heather May 20, 2010

Oh man-I am the thrift store and clothes swap QUEEN!!
I find so many great things and love that it’s a form of recycling as well as frugality.
I always do thrift shopping FIRST when I need something.
If I can’t find it at a thrift store, then, and only then will I buy new.
I’m not ashamed! :p
check out some of my super great finds!

Heather May 20, 2010
lin May 20, 2010

I can’t wait to try your green monster recipe with the wheat grass powder. right now i am not liking the powder I have (amazing grass wheat grass powder) and am thinking of ways to finish it off.

Erin May 20, 2010

My apartment is almost completely furnished second-hand, although most of it comes from people we know (friends, family) who are giving away furniture. You can find great furniture and household items at Goodwill, though, and honestly, who will ever know where they came from?

That’s me, the girl in the pearls at Salvation Army. ;)

Ameena May 20, 2010

I don’t really buy second hand things because I have issues with germs. I am sure they are totally fine, it’s just my own mental block that won’t allow me to buy things off Ebay!

Tina May 20, 2010

Hi Angela!

I have been reading your blog for about a year now and love it! You are so inspiring. I am in Kingston, Ontario – so not too far!!

I had my first green monster yesterday morning. Sooo Good! When you have yours for breakfast, do you also eat something else with it? I am unsure of how long it should keep me satisfied!

Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 20, 2010

It really depends how much you put in it. I find if I have protein powder + nut butter in addition to the milk, spinach, banana, and chia seeds, it can last me all morning. Sometimes I might lighter GM’s for a snack though. You can mix it up!

Heather May 20, 2010

girl, i canNOT handle y’alls talent…it’s almost too much! almost ;) i love buying things off of craigslist and refurbishing them…SO FUN and much less costly than it could be!

Amber K May 20, 2010

I don’t buy a lot of things in general, but I don’t really utilize secondhand stores. The ones near me always smell (I have a very sensitive nose) and their prices are the same as buying off the racks of Wal-Mart.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 20, 2010

I’m a huge fan of garage sales and thrift stores! I always find tons of cute, unique dishes and household items! :)

Camille May 20, 2010

I love Craigslist… for certain things (I’m a bit of a germaphobe).
I actually found my apartment on craigslist!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life May 20, 2010

I really like shopping on ebay – I’ve gotten a few really great pairs of designer jeans for a STEAL on there! I’ve never tried Craigslist, but wouldn’t be opposed to it! I’m actually considering selling a couple pieces of furniture on there soon.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg May 20, 2010

I love buying second-hand stuff!!! E-bay is my best friend :-)

Danielle May 20, 2010

I don’t frequent thrift stores as much as I should because when I can usually get a hold of the best fines! As for my big-ticket purchases in the next few years I am sure that I will be frequenting E-bay, craigslist, and even, garage sales :).

P.S. SInce you live outside of Toronto, I thought I’d give you a spectacular restaurant recommendation. They are not vegan but incredibly accommodating so I’m sure you’ll find something that tickles your fancy and your omni-guests most definitely will. Enjoy: http://www.danielleabroad.com/2010/05/senior-week-day-4-in-another-paese.html

Lindsay @ Summit Sandwiches May 20, 2010

Your green monsters have the best color. Mine usually end up looking like some kind of swamp muck because I usually put a scoop of chocolate Amazing Grass in there to amp up the staying power of my GMs. Doesn’t make for the prettiest color…at all!

I like buying some things second-hand. My fav are used books! Used book stores are the best…it’s amazing how much cheaper it is to buy books at used book stores compared to Borders. There are also a couple of really amazing consignment shops in Boston (a couple hours from where I live) that sell second-hand designer clothes. My friend got a previously $1500 leather jacket there for $150. I love deals like that!

Heather May 20, 2010

good job on the bike ride!

Just Audrey May 20, 2010

Wow, I was actually right about the pictures. I thought the bear that you drew looked more feminine and cute. Sounds weird but that’s my logic!

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy May 20, 2010

I would totally have a drawing showdown with my husband — except he would totally BEAT me! Ha!

I love the bright green color of your green monster! So pretty!!!!

Hayley @ Breath of Fire May 20, 2010

Mmmmm…….. I haven’t had a green monster in much too long!!

Leah May 20, 2010

A lot of my furniture, and kitchen stuff was given to me from my family. Its such a big help, and if theyre willing to give it to me, Im willing to take it!
I’ve also found some stuff on Craigslist though, you can get some awesome stuff on there!

Hayley May 20, 2010

Hi Angela! I have never commented before but love reading your blog daily and you are such an inspiration to many, including me, so thank you! I just wanted to tell you about a new thing I am starting that you would love and should check out to see if they have anything in your area. You get $50 worth of fresh fruits/veggies for $15 every week! It’s amazing food and changes up every time. Go to http://www.bountifulbaskets.org.

Laura May 20, 2010

I thought your drawing was the best! I suspected that one was yours but didn’t want to comment yesterday in case I got it wrong.

I love ebay, particularly for Tupperware, I love the old styles in their funky colours!

Triathlonbabe May 20, 2010

Love the green monsters!!! OMG, love ebay and craigslist, thrift stores, and big fan of flea markets!!!!

Angela, I am emailing you tonight about the Shop 4 a Cause stuff.