Friday Fun

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on May 14, 2010

Happy Friday to all. :w00t:

Well, last night is what I would like to call a yoga sorta fail.

• I got the mat out
  • Turned off the lights
  • Lit a candle
  • Turned the video on

I was doing good for the first 5 minutes of the video and then the next thing I know it is 2 hours later and I wake up on the yoga mat with Sketchie sleeping on my tummy. :whistle:

I guess my body had other plans for me. It was fabulous.

I also got to see The Office and The Marriage Ref. Eric decided that he wants to bring me on The Marriage Ref to discuss my Crazy Dish Lady status.

I started the morning off with a fresh juice to use up some of the discount veggies.

It contained: 1 lime, 1/2 English cuke, 1/4 lemon, 1 beet, 1/2 tomato, 2 carrots:

IMG_6963 (2)

Beet + Lime = bliss

IMG_6964

IMG_7003

This was so energizing!

IMG_6999 (2)

After doing a bit of paperwork, I set out to the kitchen to throw together Banana Soft Serve VOO.

IMG_6969

IMG_6979

Blueberry Vanilla Banana Soft Serve VOO

Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup regular oats
  • 1/4 scoop Amazing Grass Amazing Meal chocolate powder
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup almond milk
  • Layer with: Banana soft serve
  • Layer with: Blueberry Jam

Directions: Whisk VOO ingredients together with a whisk. Place in fridge overnight. In the morning make the banana soft serve by processing a frozen banana in the food processor for a few minutes, scraping sides as necessary. Now layer the BSS with the VOO and add some blueberry jam.

IMG_6993 (2)

I ate it in a blueberry jam jar a la Heather. The blueberry jam was really good in this mix! I actually meant to add in a layer of jam in the middle, but I forgot.

IMG_6990 (2)

It is a major paper work day for me this morning. I am hoping to get out for a swim or run at lunch (Please SUN peak out!) and then we have family arriving this afternoon. Tonight, we are having a big birthday get together to celebrate my father-in-law’s and my birthday. Should be good times.

Have a great Friday!

Jessica @ How Sweet May 14, 2010 at 8:18 am

I made regular stovetop oats this morning, and stirred in banana soft serve – OMG! Delicious. I don’t think I could do overnight, because I wouldn’t like the cold, but I loved the warm + cold mix. I also added peanut butter and coconut butter, which kinda melted.

Have a great time tonight! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 14, 2010 at 9:00 am

That is such a great idea! I wondered how that would taste.

Jessica @ The Process of Healing May 14, 2010 at 9:09 am

Oh WOW! You are a genius, that sounds incredible!!!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 14, 2010 at 8:20 am

That’s more like a yoga VICTORY!!

Denise May 14, 2010 at 8:23 am

Happy Birthday,then! Hope you enjoy your time with family!!

I am just ADORING the new look of your site!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 14, 2010 at 9:00 am

Thank you!

[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ May 14, 2010 at 8:25 am

You must have been tired if you fell asleep on the mat. It was probably just what you needed.

[email protected] May 14, 2010 at 8:26 am

it sounds like you were just wiped out for sure! and that you wiped out too :)

Ilana May 14, 2010 at 8:28 am

That’s adorable! My cat has a thing for walking under and around me while I’m in downward dog…it’s so funny

Rachel @ Suburban Yogini May 14, 2010 at 8:29 am

Sometimes sleeping is a worthy yoga practice!

Whitney @ Lettuce Love May 14, 2010 at 8:29 am

Too funny that you fell asleep doing yoga. At least you were home, I am always scared that I will do that in class!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin May 14, 2010 at 8:31 am

Do you just use one banana for your softserve? It looks like you get so much!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 14, 2010 at 9:01 am

Yep :) Sometimes if you add a tiny bit of almond milk it bulks it up!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) May 14, 2010 at 8:33 am

I noticed on Twitter last night you said you might use your tax return to buy a vita-mix! I hope you do, because I bought one, and I am lost for ideas of what to make in it besides my usual smoothies! I have never seen the commercials for the vita-mix so I don’t know what it can all do. If you have one, I know you will come up with cool recipes that I can try :-) Hehe!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 14, 2010 at 9:02 am

haha I’m tempted. as to whether or not I will buy one…the jury is still out!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman May 14, 2010 at 8:39 am

That yoga story is hilarious because it’s something I’d do. Our bodies know best, though! Not sure if it’s today or you’re just doing an early celebration, but Happy Birthday!

Shilpa May 14, 2010 at 8:39 am

Angela
Your most newest blog reader and am hooked!Love it to bits and am drooling over your recipes (all of them).What blender do you use to make that morning beet/fruit dring?I cannot afford a blendtec/vitamix right now.But dont wanna wait till I can get one,to make this drink!

Have devoured most of your articles…you are beautiful and the results shows!
Here’s for your passion and love!
Regards
S

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 14, 2010 at 9:02 am

Shilpa, Thank you! :) I use a Breville Juicer to make the juice :)

Ameena May 14, 2010 at 8:46 am

So funny that you fell asleep! I can’t fall asleep unless I am in bed or in front of the TV.

Morgan @ Life After Bagels May 14, 2010 at 8:48 am

It’s sunny in Toronto this morning, but still quite chilly . . . I’m head out on a run soon but I’ll have to bundle up. Hope the sun is stretching to your house too!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 14, 2010 at 9:02 am

Sun is out now!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg May 14, 2010 at 8:50 am

Have a fun birthday celebration! TOO funny that you fell asleep on the mat– I guess it was REALLY relaxing yoga :-)

Wei-Wei May 14, 2010 at 8:53 am

LOL. Sleepy, eh? It’s good that you let your body do its thing, though. :)

Just wondering; is it the chia seeds that give your VOO creamy consistency? I’ve tried it without and it works just fine, too. I’ve heard that chia seeds make liquids sort of… well, gummy? Gooey? (Apparently it’s because of the soluble fiber they contain?)

Have a great Friday! And happy birthday to you and your father-in-law! :D

Wei-Wei

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 14, 2010 at 9:04 am

Chia seeds get really ‘gel-like’ in liquids. It turns a lot of people off, but I am used to it. They are also flavourless so if you can get over the consistency, then you are good to go. They have a ton of great nutrients…loaded with omega 3 + 6..antioxidants etc

Bethany @ More Fruit Please May 14, 2010 at 8:56 am

Haha, that’s too funny that you fell asleep during yoga! You poor thing – your body must have been really tired! Your veggie juice looks so refreshing! I’m a huge fan of fruity green monsters, but haven’t worked up the courage to try carrots or beets in mine. I think that the appeal of anything will go up if you stick it in a cute jar! The blueberry VOO look Ah-mazing!

Raya @ Raya Runs May 14, 2010 at 9:11 am

I just love that bowl of veggies, so colorful!! And I love making fresh juice. I’ve gotta drag my juicer out of the garage, it’s been there since I moved a month ago. Love!!

Elizabeth May 14, 2010 at 11:03 am

Hi Raya!

Just read some of your blog and saw that you are a Second degree in Taekwondo. That is so great! I am a Fifth degree in ATA Taekwondo and got started running last Nov. (loving it! even though I started at age 50! LOL)

Just wanted to say hello to a fellow woman martial artist! Have a great day!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter May 14, 2010 at 9:16 am

I can’t believe you fell asleep while doing yoga. I mean, I can believe it, but when I get that sleepy I just hop into bed (which is, like, less than a foot away) haha

Marina May 14, 2010 at 9:21 am

I had overnight oats today, and for the first time, I actually enjoyed it :))
I love making soft serve for hot oats, that combo hot&cold is amazing!
My overnight oats also had a hot addition, frozen fruit quickly heated in the microwave. yum!

Scott from YourInnerSkinny May 14, 2010 at 9:22 am

Beet juice, eh? I’m not sure how I feel about that! Although I DO like the thought of napping instead of doing yoga, ha ha.

Have a great Friday!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 14, 2010 at 9:56 am

I used to HATE beets until I started juicing them. Its really the only way I have grown to like them.

Heather (Heather's Dish) May 14, 2010 at 9:26 am

note to self: MUST make overnight oats with banana soft serve IMMEDIATELY! ;)

Shilpa May 14, 2010 at 9:40 am

Thanks Ang!What do you use to make the Green monster?Could not make a search on your blog for breville?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 14, 2010 at 9:55 am

For the green monster I have a Kitchenaid blender but I do not suggest getting one..mine has broken twice.

Kelly May 14, 2010 at 9:46 am

Haha that looks like a baby bottle!

[email protected] May 14, 2010 at 9:54 am

Glad to see I’m not the only one who falls asleep on the yoga mat. It happened when I did the Crunch Fitness Candle Light Yoga. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 14, 2010 at 9:55 am

that sounds heavenly! Right up my alley…hahaha

ashley May 14, 2010 at 10:02 am

Lava flow of VOO…LOVE it!!! That looks insane! That is hilarious about yoga…glad you got in some rest!!! :)

Kilee May 14, 2010 at 10:17 am

Haha! Yoga ALWAYS makes me want to go to sleep. I guess your body just needed some more rest. I have BSS w/ VOO waiting for me as I type. Yum! Have a great day!

[email protected] May 14, 2010 at 10:20 am

how fabulous that its spewing over in deliciousness. YUM! <3 lots of love put into there, thats for sure!

Katie May 14, 2010 at 10:22 am

hehe, must have needed that relaxing yoga session! I’m sure that 2 hour nap was even better ;)

Camille May 14, 2010 at 10:35 am

I always love how your breakfast is just spilling over the sides… it reminds me of something I would see in an old fashioned diner :)

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) May 14, 2010 at 10:41 am

Oh man, I always threaten to bring Dan on the marriage ref (even though we aren’t married). He doesn’t understand WHY I don’t like him leaving used cotton swabs and paper towels everywhere, for days at a time.

Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition May 14, 2010 at 10:45 am

I lover vegetable juice! My favorite combo right now is carrots, beets, kale, and lemon! I’ve never tried lime in it– I’ll have make that tomorrow. Yoga is so peaceful- love your set up with the candles. What I love about yoga is that it’s all about your body and what it needs in THAT moment. Your body obvious needed a little rest. Enjoy your weekend!

xo

Jocelyn

Kacy May 14, 2010 at 10:49 am

That’s awesome that you fell asleep on the mat! You must have been quite relaxed :)

Amber K May 14, 2010 at 11:28 am

I love the marriage ref, too, too funny! The veggie/fruit juice looks great!

Lisa May 14, 2010 at 11:30 am

That looks delicious! Almost like a dessert…. :

Carolyn May 14, 2010 at 11:37 am

Awww! That’s adorable! =D Sketchie must have made a nice tummy warmer, haha!

I hope the sun comes out today for you! It’s been really nice here the last few days, so I am sending you as many mental sun waves as I can! ~^

Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) May 14, 2010 at 12:08 pm

your smoothie looks amazing! i am coming here for smoothie inspiration always.

Alicia May 14, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Your accidental-nap story kiiiiiiiiiiiiiilled me, mostly because I have TOTALLY done that ;)

Erin May 14, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Hey Angela,

Just wondering where you get your Amazing Grass powder – I looked on the website and it charges $16 for shipping to Canada! Any stores that carry it? Thx!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 14, 2010 at 2:03 pm

You can purchase it at Whole Foods and other health food stores too…I would check on their website?

Triathlonbabe May 14, 2010 at 8:57 pm

I’ve been ordering my Amazing Grass from Amazon, seems a bit cheaper than Whole foods.

Michelle May 14, 2010 at 12:16 pm

OMGosh Ange I just made your overnight oats and layered with banana AND blueberry preserves!!!! I actuallly posted about it and used your recipe to try to inspire people to enter a giveaway. :) I’m giving away 2 jars of organic preserves and immediately thought of you and your love for gourmet flavors! Strawberry basil preserves or blueberry merlot jam strike your fancy?

Sassy Molassy May 14, 2010 at 12:36 pm

This is such a beautiful meal! Love it.

Leah May 14, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Hope you have a great birthday celebration! I love that you fell asleep doing yoga, its definitely relaxing eh?

OH, and I LOVE the Marriage Ref – its hilarious!

Sarah for Real May 14, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Now that’s MY kind of yoga!

I think I should try that out immediately :D

Cindy May 14, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Hi, Angela! I made a bread today that I thought you might like. Vegan Coconut Banana bread anyone? I am sure you can tweak it to make it even healthier, but it isn’t bad!

Allison @ Food For Healing May 14, 2010 at 1:36 pm

i love the color of the juice!

and i love the overflowing-ness of the soft serve VOO! it looks delish.

Danica May 14, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I LOVE the bright color of your veggie juice/smoothie…..now if I can only convince myself to have an all vegetable one with beets :)

I NEVER thought of adding blueberry jam to the banana soft serve mix – I LOVE that idea…MUST try :)

Happy Friday!

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) May 14, 2010 at 1:58 pm

HAHA! That’s hilarious. I fall asleep in savasana often. :) If your body needs rest, it needs rest!

I just saw your tweet. Hope everything is okay. :-/

Corinne May 14, 2010 at 2:12 pm

OMG I love that you just fell asleep while doing yoga! I have come SO close but the eyes have never completely closed on me.

I have yet to get into overnight oats because I am slightly confused…do you really just combine the oats, milk, chia seeds, vanilla, powder and put in the fridge over night? That’s it? No cooking? This sounds like a breakfast sent from heaven.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 14, 2010 at 2:17 pm

You got it! No cooking :)

Erin at The Healthy Apron May 14, 2010 at 2:35 pm

I love that you fell asleep before Yoga. How calming. I guess your body knew what it needed!!

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad May 14, 2010 at 2:54 pm

I got a Breville Juicer for my grad school graduation, and I can’t wait to try some new recipes!! Do you juice the entire beet?

Tina May 14, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Haha! That’s awesome. I take yoga in classes at my gym so that keeps me more awake, but I know there are times when laying on the mat I definitely feel the urge to drift off. Happy to hear you got the rest you needed.

Paige (Running Around Normal) May 14, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Now that is some relaxing yoga! I think I’d call that a success :D
Have fun tonight, girl!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 14, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Oh my gosh Angela, your banana soft serve oat parfait looks beautiful. Seriously, almost too pretty to eat, and I love the addition of blueberry jam!

Hope you get all your paperwork done today so that you can your enjoy evening with the fam!

Melodie May 14, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Hi! I have been following your blog for about 3 weeks now and love it :) I do have a question though… do you peel your lime before juicing it? I know I peel my oranges and such, but have never tried using a lime!

Michal May 14, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Gotta love a relaxing yoga session :-p
I just started following your blog and am really enjoying it. The Soft-Serve is top on my list to try this weekend! There’s this new thing in NYC called Voguert where they blend in bits of fruit and I keep thinking that bits of berries in the Soft Serve would be amazing….

Samantha @ Food Edu May 14, 2010 at 7:01 pm

I like your yoga story–sometimes things like that happen. I have yet to try a soft serve–looks pretty dang good!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) May 14, 2010 at 7:37 pm

haha I have been known to fall asleep during the meditation section of our yoga class ooops ;)

Sophie @ yumventures May 14, 2010 at 8:02 pm

I always fall asleep at the end of yoga…I LOVE that you fell asleep in the beginning!

Triathlonbabe May 14, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Wow, sometimes I feel like falling asleep when I go to hot yoga but I think if I did I’d melt…teehee! :) I so need a yoga practice. I am sleep deprived and stressed this week. I have vowed to put in my regularly scheduled workouts and eating habits back into gear starting next week.

OMG, those oats look so scrumptalicious!!!! I just invested in a food processor today and I will begin using my juicer next week. I can’t wait to try these delicious juices you speak of. I also can’t wait to baptize my new food processor by making the Jiffy Spelt Veggie patties! Woohoo!!!

Rachael May 14, 2010 at 9:28 pm

I’ve fallen asleep during sivasana before. Those two or three minute naps are heavenly.
Beet and lime – can’t believe I never thought of that combination.
Happy Birthday in advance!

Heather May 14, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Wow, that breaky is right up my alley!
Great to find your blog!

Sarah May 15, 2010 at 2:26 pm

The banana blueberry soft-serve looks AMAZING!!! I love healthy cold treats like that.