Are You An Athlete?

IMG 59811   Are You An Athlete?

Good morning :)

Hopefully you can see this post!!!!

Last night, Eric and I were up until 1am working on the blog transfer. He finally fixed the error message we were getting on the home page, so hopefully everything is good to go now! The website seems to load a lot faster now, what about you guys?

I don’t know why, but I have been having the worst sleeps lately. I can’t fall asleep for hours and then I am up numerous times throughout the night. Very strange.

Maybe it is because I was excited about this…

IMG 5992   Are You An Athlete?

I decided to make the Banana Soft Serve Vegan Overnight Oats again after loving it so much this weekend.

Banana Soft Serve Vegan Overnight Oats

Ingredients

VOO:

• 1/3 cup regular oats
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 scoop (2 tbsp) Amazing Grass Amazing Meal Chocolate Powder

Directions: In a small bowl, mix together above ingredients with a whisk and throw in fridge overnight.

In the morning, make the Banana Soft Serve:

IMG 5804 thumb   Are You An Athlete?

Give your VOO a quick stir:

IMG 5966   Are You An Athlete?

And start layering!

IMG 5967   Are You An Athlete?

IMG 5972   Are You An Athlete?

IMG 5974   Are You An Athlete?

IMG 5976   Are You An Athlete?IMG 5977   Are You An Athlete?

IMG 5989   Are You An Athlete?

Look at these awesome nutritional stats!

fffffffffff   Are You An Athlete?    14 grams protein

11 grams fibre

11 grams healthy fats

Total Omega-3 fatty acids: 3047mg

Total Omega-6 fatty acids: 1011mg

22% of daily iron intake

15% Vitamin C

10% of daily calcium intake

Amazing!

IMG 5990   Are You An Athlete?

IMG 5993   Are You An Athlete?

Gosh, I am in love with this. It is like a delicious ice cream parfait for breakfast (only super healthy!)

IMG 5995   Are You An Athlete?

A Monday Sundae might become a regular thing around this place!

Are You An Athlete?

Yesterday, I was writing a Foodthinkers juice article and I was doing some research on athletes and sodium intake.

As I was writing, I got thinking, do I consider myself an athlete?

I was going to call myself an athlete in the article and then I felt like a fraud!

Why did I feel this way?

Was I really an athlete?

What would ‘real’ athletes think if they read that I called myself an athlete?

I looked up the definition of an athlete:

ath·lete:

a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.

I determined that, yes, I am an athlete!

Obviously there are all kinds of athletes in this world and just because I am not a pro athlete doesn’t mean that I can’t consider myself an athlete. I train hard and compete, is that not enough to call oneself an athlete?

I think it is.

I posed the question on Twitter yesterday:

ddddddddddddddddddd   Are You An Athlete?

Here are some of the responses that I received:

@veganbooty: I totally think of myself as athlete! I don’t know exactly what an athlete is, but I still think I’m one. :-)

@lianewil: I actually don’t think of myself as an athlete, even if I have a steady stream of physical activity

@superrsana: I was a tennis player for 15 years so kinda?

@runningbuddy: I have decided that I am an athlete! I bet others would think otherwise but I believe I am, therefore, I am!

@caitlinHTP: I am most definitely an athlete, regardless of whether or not my husband laughs at me when I describe myself that way!

@bonniegartley: I consider myself a runner. Don’t know if that makes me an athlete

@sarahwalnuts: I consider myself an athlete because my sports I participate in take up more than 75% of my spare time

@imahappycat: No. B/c I don’t have a sport I do/like. I make myself not be a couch potato. :)

What about you- Do you consider yourself an athlete? Why or why not? Do you have to compete in an ‘event’ to be considered an athlete or can you simply compete against yourself?

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin May 3, 2010

That breakfast looks amazing!! I actually ordered some Chia seeds and they arrive tomorrow and I can’t wait to start experimenting with them!

And I don’t really consider myself an athlete. I think of people as athletes who compete professionally or are a lot more active than I am… I do consider myself athletic though. I don’t know if that makes sense. ha!

Heather (Heather's Dish) May 3, 2010

i definitely consider myself an athlete…and competition of any kind definitely determines that! whether it’s running a marathon, playing volleyball, or trying to beat your best score in a round of golf…all of them are considered competition and require athletic skill :)

Jessica @ How Sweet May 3, 2010

I don’t usually like overnight oats, but I may be sold on these ones. Do you freeze a bunch of bananas together in a bag? That is what I do, but sometimes they get gross. Just curious as to how you store the frozen nanners!

I think of myself as an athlete. I danced for 18 years and was a gymnast. Then it continued into weight lifting and competing. It may not be what other think of as an athlete, but I do!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 3, 2010

I take ripe bananas and peel them and them put them in tupperware in the freezer. Works good!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] May 3, 2010

Heck yes, I’m an athlete =) I’ve been active my whole life, although I’ve switched from sport to sport. Agility – check. Stamina – check. Strength – check.

megan May 3, 2010

i don’t really consider myself an athlete. i used to, when i played tennis in college. but now i work out/run for fun, and to stay thin. I consider myself “active” but not an athlete. it’s mainly because of my mindset though.

Sophie @ yumventures May 3, 2010

I don’t consider myself an athlete, but I do think of myself as active! I think I just don’t have the competitive nature to take it to the next level. I prefer to exercise for fun! :)

Sarah May 3, 2010

I keep reading about these overnight oats just as I did the green monster and eventualy tried it and fell in love. So I am thinking it is about time to try thse overnight oats. What type of oats do you use? Thanks

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks May 3, 2010

I’m an opera singer, and believe me, what we do is truly athletic!

Sarah May 3, 2010

I can see your post!
That breakfast looks so delicious; I may just need to stock up on a few ingredients for weekends. (Saturdays and Sundays are the days when I would be able to sit down and really enjoy a breakfast like that.)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 3, 2010

So not an athlete. Just because you run daily doesn’t make you an athlete

Claire May 3, 2010

This banana soft serve and overnight oat combo sounds like the perfect thing for these upcoming hot months, love it!

I definitely feel that I was an athlete in high school and college but that I need to start realizing that I still am one, just don’t compete for a team but for myself!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty May 3, 2010

When I was training for my 10km and 8km races and running all the time, and cross training when I wasn’t running!! :) But since then, nope, not at all!! :)

Lauren May 3, 2010

I identify more with being a “runner” than an “athlete.” But I guess a runner IS an athlete…

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter May 3, 2010

Those are some killer nutrition stats!

I don’t train for certain competition, I just exercise and do sports for fun, so technically I guess I’m not an athlete. But anyone that looks at me dressed in workout wear 24/7 would probably call me one.

Ilana May 3, 2010

Such a relevant question for me! Lst week my boyfriend and I were discussing health and fitness (gee, I wonder why?), and he commented that I’m “athletic.” I don’t think I’ve ever heard that word used to describe me, in my entire life! It was actually quite surprising for me to hear myself described as such, but reflecting upon my recent activity choices, I guess going to Pilates several times a week, doing yoga, and riding a bike certainly qualifies me as “athletic.” An athlete, though? No, not yet. One day!

I really really really want make a oernight oats parfait, but the way I make my oats includes a banana in the base, so I either have to change up how I make the oats to do it with softserve, or figure out another parfait ingredient. Aka, the berries sitting in my fridge. Oooh, breakfast inspiration!

Dawn May 3, 2010

I just blogged about these oats too! Also, I got my Glo Bar order today and blogged about you and your bakery. Hope you don’t mind!

Thanks for being such an inspiration. I was laughing when I saw your pictures just now, because they are about 100 times better than mine! I think I need to take a photography course or something… :)

Enjoy your day!

Danielle (Coffee Run) May 3, 2010

I’m not really sure how I’d define an athlete…but I def. think I’m one at the moment (training for a marathon). I’ve also always wondered what makes someone a “runner”? Like, how often/how long do you have to run to earn that title??

Lizz (Leading the Good Life) May 3, 2010

I consider myself an athlete because I train for and compete in sports.

At first the answer came easily, but then I started worrying about what others would think, and that made me really uncomfortable! I shouldn’t alter the way I think or feel about myself as a result of comparing myself to others.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman May 3, 2010

Oh that “parfait” looks so good!

I don’t consider myself an athlete. Even before my two knees were injured and became pretty much useless, I wouldn’t have called myself that. I wish, though!

Lauren May 3, 2010

I could definitely tell a difference in the load time today.
And I’m not sure what’s up, but I haven’t been sleeping well either. It stinks.

I think I am just starting to get comfortable calling myself an athlete. It took a while, but I feel like I can hold my own now.

Jenn May 3, 2010

Gee, good question. I would consider myself athletic, I suppose. My husband calls me an crazy! Tri-training, and half marathon training keep me hopping as well as any extra like core classes or weight training, keep my week pretty full at the gym.
I consider olympicc competitiors and ironman competitiors athletes,…..so maybe oneday!!

Nicci@NiftyEats May 3, 2010

I do consider myself an athlete. I’ll be competing in my first 5k this month, but I’ve always played sports throughout highschool and college. Ccan’t wait for summer softball league too.

Brooke May 3, 2010

I am an athlete though I cringe at being labeled as so. Weird? I have an athlete’s body. I will never be long and willowy. I suppose I feel as if being an athlete and looking like one makes me un-feminine, in a way.

Jil May 3, 2010

Those soft-serve oats looks amazing – and their stats are phenomenal! I don’t know if I consider myself an athlete…I consider myself athletic though….but I’m not sure why I make the differentiation.

Megan May 3, 2010

I’ve been playing with this question a lot lately. I run, bike a swim, yet I don’t consider myself an athlete. Why? I think it’s because I didn’t do these things in college and high school when the term athlete is used often. I want to know when I’ll feel good to call myself an athlete. I’ve ran races, will be biking a century on Saturday and doing a triathlon next month…can I then call myself an athlete? I wonder, in other people’s eyes, if they consider me an athlete? Good post!

Kim May 3, 2010

That’s an excellent question. Right off the bat I would say I’m a former athlete since I was a gymnast for 15 years.. but I would feel weird saying I’m an athlete now, but if I think about it, I would call anyone else who trains like I do an athlete so why not me?

Astrid May 3, 2010

It is soooo difficult to give yourself a label like this! At least it is for me. I have recently accepted the label of “artist”. I create art regularly, and absolutely adore the process. It is a passion. So, therefore, I am an artist! The same goes for being an athlete. I engage in physical activity, constantly push and challenge myself, and am always improving. Plus, I love it. So, I am an athlete! I always find myself wanted validation from someone else. Someone who can slap these labels on my forehead for the world to see! But truly, it has to be YOU that declares these labels, and accepts the fact that they are amazing. Athlete or not.

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) May 3, 2010

That breakfast looks absolutely incredible–so perfect for summer!

Maria @ a Healthier Maria May 3, 2010

oo great question! I actually have thought about this myself a good amount. I usually see athletes as people who are really “serious” about competition & I really just consider myself a recreational participant. Even when I was training for a marathon, or when I play tennis which I competed in for years, I don’t feel any different. I guess because I do this for myself rather than for a team it feels silly (maybe a little presumptuous?) to call myself something I’m not.

Lisa May 3, 2010

Just because we don’t get PAID to workout, and we don’t have sponsors, doesn’t mean we aren’t athletes!! :)

Therese May 3, 2010

Man, that does look like a tasty breakfast!!! And thanks for posting the nutrition stats!

I have a hard time calling myself an athlete evening though I have indeed trained for an event multiple times (I’m a runner). My best friend calls me an athlete and I always feel weird about it. I don’t know why though, I think it’s just a mental thing. I train hard for my events and I now eat like an athlete BECAUSE of my events. In all sense of the term, I *am* an athlete. But I think because of the years I spent being overweight and sedentary, it’s a hard adjustment to admit (not that I don’t want to!).

Michelle May 3, 2010

I don’t think of myself as an athlete… I think because when I played sports in high school and college, that was when I called myself an athlete. I run and work out and do all kinds of active stuff… so I don’t know why I don’t consider myself an athlete?

Diana @ frontyardfoodie May 3, 2010

I guess I’m with you on this one. I wouldn’t naturally consider myself an athlete but according to that definitely I am.

I love exercise, and competing but I suppose I always assumed that to be an athlete you have to be given that title.

Angela May 3, 2010

This is so hard. I would like to consider myself an athlete, but I don’t know that I’m naturally gifted enough in sports to make that claim. I love running, swimming and Bikram, but do I do them competitively? Not anymore. I may have considered myself an athlete when I was in high school and competing regularly. But now I exercise for health and happiness rather than competition.

I also don’t know if I have that same commitment and determination that other athletes have. For instance, my roommate is a triathlete (a serious triathlete). He works out every day multiple times, he eats a special diet, when he’s training he cuts out all alcohol. If for some reason he isn’t able to compete its the end of the world. I don’t have that same drive. I work out for enjoyment instead.

Abby May 3, 2010

I don’t comment often, but wanted to add my voice to this one. I was a pretty serious competitive swimmer for about a dozen years, and definitely thought of myself as an athlete. I stopped after having double rotator cuff surgery my freshman year of college, and took a handful of years off from organized athletic activity. I started training for my first marathon three and a half years ago through Team in Training, and since then have competed in several marathons, an ultramarathon, an ironman, and many adventure races. But only in the past couple months have I really begun to define myself as an athlete again. It was as though my definition had stalled during my swimming days, and I felt like because I wasn’t training 35 hours a week, it didn’t count or something… I had no problem thinking of my training and racing buddies as athletes, but couldn’t see myself that way. I’m not sure why it shifted a couple months ago, but I can point to the moment when my mindset changed, and I’ve been enjoying this very conscious embrace of what feels like a newfound identity.

Thanks for posting on this – definitely struck a nerve!

Kilee May 3, 2010

Hey Angela! I don’t consider myself an athlete because I rarely race. I love working out and pushing myself physically, but choose not to do competitions. That parfait looks amazing! I might be trying one of those pretty soon. Take care and the blog looks/loads wonderfully!

Jenny May 3, 2010

I’d like to think so, bt I know there are more intense athletes than me!

Natalie @ Keep It Sassy May 3, 2010

I guess I don’t consider myself an athlete because I don’t think or running or working out as my main focus, passion, or career. Okay, and also because I keep falling off the wagon.

Maybe I’m a part-time athlete? That’s kind of like one of my favorite running quotes…I’m not a runner, I just play one 3 days a week.

slamdunk May 3, 2010

Interesting question about the athlete. Though with little ones, I feel like less of an athlete these days, I still treat physical fitness as a challenge and during games the competitor in me will surface.

molly @fuelherup May 3, 2010

haha I run xc and track for a division 1 school. So I’ll say yes.

Page 1 of 212»