Are You An Athlete?

IMG_5981

Good morning :)

Hopefully you can see this post!!!!

Last night, Eric and I were up until 1am working on the blog transfer. He finally fixed the error message we were getting on the home page, so hopefully everything is good to go now! The website seems to load a lot faster now, what about you guys?

I don’t know why, but I have been having the worst sleeps lately. I can’t fall asleep for hours and then I am up numerous times throughout the night. Very strange.

Maybe it is because I was excited about this…

IMG_5992

I decided to make the Banana Soft Serve Vegan Overnight Oats again after loving it so much this weekend.

Banana Soft Serve Vegan Overnight Oats

Ingredients

VOO:

• 1/3 cup regular oats
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 scoop (2 tbsp) Amazing Grass Amazing Meal Chocolate Powder

Directions: In a small bowl, mix together above ingredients with a whisk and throw in fridge overnight.

In the morning, make the Banana Soft Serve:

IMG_5804

Give your VOO a quick stir:

IMG_5966

And start layering!

IMG_5967

IMG_5972

IMG_5974

IMG_5976IMG_5977

IMG_5989

Look at these awesome nutritional stats!

fffffffffff    14 grams protein

11 grams fibre

11 grams healthy fats

Total Omega-3 fatty acids: 3047mg

Total Omega-6 fatty acids: 1011mg

22% of daily iron intake

15% Vitamin C

10% of daily calcium intake

Amazing!

IMG_5990

IMG_5993

Gosh, I am in love with this. It is like a delicious ice cream parfait for breakfast (only super healthy!)

IMG_5995

A Monday Sundae might become a regular thing around this place!

Are You An Athlete?

Yesterday, I was writing a Foodthinkers juice article and I was doing some research on athletes and sodium intake.

As I was writing, I got thinking, do I consider myself an athlete?

I was going to call myself an athlete in the article and then I felt like a fraud!

Why did I feel this way?

Was I really an athlete?

What would ‘real’ athletes think if they read that I called myself an athlete?

I looked up the definition of an athlete:

ath·lete:

a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.

I determined that, yes, I am an athlete!

Obviously there are all kinds of athletes in this world and just because I am not a pro athlete doesn’t mean that I can’t consider myself an athlete. I train hard and compete, is that not enough to call oneself an athlete?

I think it is.

I posed the question on Twitter yesterday:

ddddddddddddddddddd

Here are some of the responses that I received:

@veganbooty: I totally think of myself as athlete! I don’t know exactly what an athlete is, but I still think I’m one. :-)

@lianewil: I actually don’t think of myself as an athlete, even if I have a steady stream of physical activity

@superrsana: I was a tennis player for 15 years so kinda?

@runningbuddy: I have decided that I am an athlete! I bet others would think otherwise but I believe I am, therefore, I am!

@caitlinHTP: I am most definitely an athlete, regardless of whether or not my husband laughs at me when I describe myself that way!

@bonniegartley: I consider myself a runner. Don’t know if that makes me an athlete

@sarahwalnuts: I consider myself an athlete because my sports I participate in take up more than 75% of my spare time

@imahappycat: No. B/c I don’t have a sport I do/like. I make myself not be a couch potato. :)

What about you- Do you consider yourself an athlete? Why or why not? Do you have to compete in an ‘event’ to be considered an athlete or can you simply compete against yourself?

1 Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin May 3, 2010

That breakfast looks amazing!! I actually ordered some Chia seeds and they arrive tomorrow and I can’t wait to start experimenting with them!

And I don’t really consider myself an athlete. I think of people as athletes who compete professionally or are a lot more active than I am… I do consider myself athletic though. I don’t know if that makes sense. ha!

2 Heather (Heather's Dish) May 3, 2010

i definitely consider myself an athlete…and competition of any kind definitely determines that! whether it’s running a marathon, playing volleyball, or trying to beat your best score in a round of golf…all of them are considered competition and require athletic skill :)

3 Jessica @ How Sweet May 3, 2010

I don’t usually like overnight oats, but I may be sold on these ones. Do you freeze a bunch of bananas together in a bag? That is what I do, but sometimes they get gross. Just curious as to how you store the frozen nanners!

I think of myself as an athlete. I danced for 18 years and was a gymnast. Then it continued into weight lifting and competing. It may not be what other think of as an athlete, but I do!

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 3, 2010

I take ripe bananas and peel them and them put them in tupperware in the freezer. Works good!

5 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] May 3, 2010

Heck yes, I’m an athlete =) I’ve been active my whole life, although I’ve switched from sport to sport. Agility – check. Stamina – check. Strength – check.

6 megan May 3, 2010

i don’t really consider myself an athlete. i used to, when i played tennis in college. but now i work out/run for fun, and to stay thin. I consider myself “active” but not an athlete. it’s mainly because of my mindset though.

7 Sophie @ yumventures May 3, 2010

I don’t consider myself an athlete, but I do think of myself as active! I think I just don’t have the competitive nature to take it to the next level. I prefer to exercise for fun! :)

8 Sarah May 3, 2010

I keep reading about these overnight oats just as I did the green monster and eventualy tried it and fell in love. So I am thinking it is about time to try thse overnight oats. What type of oats do you use? Thanks

9 Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks May 3, 2010

I’m an opera singer, and believe me, what we do is truly athletic!

10 Sarah May 3, 2010

I can see your post!
That breakfast looks so delicious; I may just need to stock up on a few ingredients for weekends. (Saturdays and Sundays are the days when I would be able to sit down and really enjoy a breakfast like that.)

11 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 3, 2010

So not an athlete. Just because you run daily doesn’t make you an athlete

12 Claire May 3, 2010

This banana soft serve and overnight oat combo sounds like the perfect thing for these upcoming hot months, love it!

I definitely feel that I was an athlete in high school and college but that I need to start realizing that I still am one, just don’t compete for a team but for myself!

13 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty May 3, 2010

When I was training for my 10km and 8km races and running all the time, and cross training when I wasn’t running!! :) But since then, nope, not at all!! :)

14 Lauren May 3, 2010

I identify more with being a “runner” than an “athlete.” But I guess a runner IS an athlete…

15 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter May 3, 2010

Those are some killer nutrition stats!

I don’t train for certain competition, I just exercise and do sports for fun, so technically I guess I’m not an athlete. But anyone that looks at me dressed in workout wear 24/7 would probably call me one.

16 Ilana May 3, 2010

Such a relevant question for me! Lst week my boyfriend and I were discussing health and fitness (gee, I wonder why?), and he commented that I’m “athletic.” I don’t think I’ve ever heard that word used to describe me, in my entire life! It was actually quite surprising for me to hear myself described as such, but reflecting upon my recent activity choices, I guess going to Pilates several times a week, doing yoga, and riding a bike certainly qualifies me as “athletic.” An athlete, though? No, not yet. One day!

I really really really want make a oernight oats parfait, but the way I make my oats includes a banana in the base, so I either have to change up how I make the oats to do it with softserve, or figure out another parfait ingredient. Aka, the berries sitting in my fridge. Oooh, breakfast inspiration!

17 Dawn May 3, 2010

I just blogged about these oats too! Also, I got my Glo Bar order today and blogged about you and your bakery. Hope you don’t mind!

Thanks for being such an inspiration. I was laughing when I saw your pictures just now, because they are about 100 times better than mine! I think I need to take a photography course or something… :)

Enjoy your day!

18 Danielle (Coffee Run) May 3, 2010

I’m not really sure how I’d define an athlete…but I def. think I’m one at the moment (training for a marathon). I’ve also always wondered what makes someone a “runner”? Like, how often/how long do you have to run to earn that title??

19 Lizz (Leading the Good Life) May 3, 2010

I consider myself an athlete because I train for and compete in sports.

At first the answer came easily, but then I started worrying about what others would think, and that made me really uncomfortable! I shouldn’t alter the way I think or feel about myself as a result of comparing myself to others.

20 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman May 3, 2010

Oh that “parfait” looks so good!

I don’t consider myself an athlete. Even before my two knees were injured and became pretty much useless, I wouldn’t have called myself that. I wish, though!

21 Lauren May 3, 2010

I could definitely tell a difference in the load time today.
And I’m not sure what’s up, but I haven’t been sleeping well either. It stinks.

I think I am just starting to get comfortable calling myself an athlete. It took a while, but I feel like I can hold my own now.

22 Jenn May 3, 2010

Gee, good question. I would consider myself athletic, I suppose. My husband calls me an crazy! Tri-training, and half marathon training keep me hopping as well as any extra like core classes or weight training, keep my week pretty full at the gym.
I consider olympicc competitiors and ironman competitiors athletes,…..so maybe oneday!!

23 Nicci@NiftyEats May 3, 2010

I do consider myself an athlete. I’ll be competing in my first 5k this month, but I’ve always played sports throughout highschool and college. Ccan’t wait for summer softball league too.

24 Brooke May 3, 2010

I am an athlete though I cringe at being labeled as so. Weird? I have an athlete’s body. I will never be long and willowy. I suppose I feel as if being an athlete and looking like one makes me un-feminine, in a way.

25 Jil May 3, 2010

Those soft-serve oats looks amazing – and their stats are phenomenal! I don’t know if I consider myself an athlete…I consider myself athletic though….but I’m not sure why I make the differentiation.

26 Megan May 3, 2010

I’ve been playing with this question a lot lately. I run, bike a swim, yet I don’t consider myself an athlete. Why? I think it’s because I didn’t do these things in college and high school when the term athlete is used often. I want to know when I’ll feel good to call myself an athlete. I’ve ran races, will be biking a century on Saturday and doing a triathlon next month…can I then call myself an athlete? I wonder, in other people’s eyes, if they consider me an athlete? Good post!

27 Kim May 3, 2010

That’s an excellent question. Right off the bat I would say I’m a former athlete since I was a gymnast for 15 years.. but I would feel weird saying I’m an athlete now, but if I think about it, I would call anyone else who trains like I do an athlete so why not me?

28 Astrid May 3, 2010

It is soooo difficult to give yourself a label like this! At least it is for me. I have recently accepted the label of “artist”. I create art regularly, and absolutely adore the process. It is a passion. So, therefore, I am an artist! The same goes for being an athlete. I engage in physical activity, constantly push and challenge myself, and am always improving. Plus, I love it. So, I am an athlete! I always find myself wanted validation from someone else. Someone who can slap these labels on my forehead for the world to see! But truly, it has to be YOU that declares these labels, and accepts the fact that they are amazing. Athlete or not.

29 Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) May 3, 2010

That breakfast looks absolutely incredible–so perfect for summer!

30 Maria @ a Healthier Maria May 3, 2010

oo great question! I actually have thought about this myself a good amount. I usually see athletes as people who are really “serious” about competition & I really just consider myself a recreational participant. Even when I was training for a marathon, or when I play tennis which I competed in for years, I don’t feel any different. I guess because I do this for myself rather than for a team it feels silly (maybe a little presumptuous?) to call myself something I’m not.

31 Lisa May 3, 2010

Just because we don’t get PAID to workout, and we don’t have sponsors, doesn’t mean we aren’t athletes!! :)

32 Therese May 3, 2010

Man, that does look like a tasty breakfast!!! And thanks for posting the nutrition stats!

I have a hard time calling myself an athlete evening though I have indeed trained for an event multiple times (I’m a runner). My best friend calls me an athlete and I always feel weird about it. I don’t know why though, I think it’s just a mental thing. I train hard for my events and I now eat like an athlete BECAUSE of my events. In all sense of the term, I *am* an athlete. But I think because of the years I spent being overweight and sedentary, it’s a hard adjustment to admit (not that I don’t want to!).

33 Michelle May 3, 2010

I don’t think of myself as an athlete… I think because when I played sports in high school and college, that was when I called myself an athlete. I run and work out and do all kinds of active stuff… so I don’t know why I don’t consider myself an athlete?

34 Diana @ frontyardfoodie May 3, 2010

I guess I’m with you on this one. I wouldn’t naturally consider myself an athlete but according to that definitely I am.

I love exercise, and competing but I suppose I always assumed that to be an athlete you have to be given that title.

35 Angela May 3, 2010

This is so hard. I would like to consider myself an athlete, but I don’t know that I’m naturally gifted enough in sports to make that claim. I love running, swimming and Bikram, but do I do them competitively? Not anymore. I may have considered myself an athlete when I was in high school and competing regularly. But now I exercise for health and happiness rather than competition.

I also don’t know if I have that same commitment and determination that other athletes have. For instance, my roommate is a triathlete (a serious triathlete). He works out every day multiple times, he eats a special diet, when he’s training he cuts out all alcohol. If for some reason he isn’t able to compete its the end of the world. I don’t have that same drive. I work out for enjoyment instead.

36 Abby May 3, 2010

I don’t comment often, but wanted to add my voice to this one. I was a pretty serious competitive swimmer for about a dozen years, and definitely thought of myself as an athlete. I stopped after having double rotator cuff surgery my freshman year of college, and took a handful of years off from organized athletic activity. I started training for my first marathon three and a half years ago through Team in Training, and since then have competed in several marathons, an ultramarathon, an ironman, and many adventure races. But only in the past couple months have I really begun to define myself as an athlete again. It was as though my definition had stalled during my swimming days, and I felt like because I wasn’t training 35 hours a week, it didn’t count or something… I had no problem thinking of my training and racing buddies as athletes, but couldn’t see myself that way. I’m not sure why it shifted a couple months ago, but I can point to the moment when my mindset changed, and I’ve been enjoying this very conscious embrace of what feels like a newfound identity.

Thanks for posting on this – definitely struck a nerve!

37 Kilee May 3, 2010

Hey Angela! I don’t consider myself an athlete because I rarely race. I love working out and pushing myself physically, but choose not to do competitions. That parfait looks amazing! I might be trying one of those pretty soon. Take care and the blog looks/loads wonderfully!

38 Jenny May 3, 2010

I’d like to think so, bt I know there are more intense athletes than me!

39 Natalie @ Keep It Sassy May 3, 2010

I guess I don’t consider myself an athlete because I don’t think or running or working out as my main focus, passion, or career. Okay, and also because I keep falling off the wagon.

Maybe I’m a part-time athlete? That’s kind of like one of my favorite running quotes…I’m not a runner, I just play one 3 days a week.

40 slamdunk May 3, 2010

Interesting question about the athlete. Though with little ones, I feel like less of an athlete these days, I still treat physical fitness as a challenge and during games the competitor in me will surface.

41 molly @fuelherup May 3, 2010

haha I run xc and track for a division 1 school. So I’ll say yes.

42 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 3, 2010

I wish I had the motivation to make breakfasts like that! But usually I’m so hungry in the mornings that all I want to do is get food in me as quickly as possible! :P

Hmm, I’ve never really thought of myself as an athlete, even though I run a few times a week. Maybe if I competed in races I would consider myself one.

43 Keri@kerirunsslow May 3, 2010

I NEED a food processor so I can make banana soft serve! It’s on my wedding registry, but I might just cave and buy myself one as an early birthday gift.

I consider myself an athlete, but not really athletic. I run races, and I rode horses for my varsity team in college. But I have to work hard to do well. I don’t have a whole lot of natural speed or agility. It’s all in the training!

44 Lizzie May 3, 2010

Funny – I have been thinking about this lately. I don’t like to say I’m an athlete, as to me that term traditionally evokes an image of an Olympian, or a Triathlete, or pro football/basketball/hockey/baseball/cricket/insert sport here. However I think that the definition of ‘trained might change my mind. I guess I’m embarrassed to say it b/c compared to the above I don’t think I am anywhere near that category, but maybe that’s the problem? If we believe it then we can be it? Too cheesy? :)

45 Amber K May 3, 2010

I do try to exercise daily, whether at the gym or doing pilates or yoga at home. But an athlete? I have to say, I think if I said “I’m an athlete” I’d feel like a fraud!

46 Megan @ Sweet On May 3, 2010

This is a really interesting question! yes, I do consider myself an athlete. I guess I would base that on my dedication to my activities (running and Pilates) and the fact that I continue to practice them and try to improve my fitness and performance. I don’t think you need to be competitive to be an athlete. Although I will say that the competitive aspect of running my first (and so far only) 5k really added a dimension to my experience! But competition is just the cherry on top of being an athlete, it’s not the definition :)

47 Emily May 3, 2010

I used to believe that I was only an athlete when I belonged to sports team. After motivating myself to workout and get in shape over the past few years I have realized that it is my determination that makes me a true athlete:)

ps I have a question for you, Amazing Meal vs Amazing Grass…what do you feel would be a better purchase? I notice you using Amazing Meal in your GM’s and VOO and I am looking to try it out:)

thanks,
Emily

48 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 3, 2010

I love both, however the amazing meal tastes better and has 10 gram protein per scoop. There aren’t as many servings in it though, which is why I use 1/2 scoop to make it last longer. :)

49 jen trinque @ recipes for creativity May 3, 2010

I can’t believe how decadent and delicious that breakfast banana smoothie parfait concoction looks! I must get some chia seeds one of these days…

I sometimes say I’m an athlete, but then I feel embarrassed saying it, because I never played organized sports or anything. I was NOT an athlete in school, so even though as an adult I’ve run two halfs, I still think of myself as not athletic!

50 Ali @ Redhead Reports May 3, 2010

Hi Angela! I don’t really consider my athlete, but I am very active and enjoy exercising.

51 Wei-Wei May 3, 2010

Oh, wow. I’d never consider myself an athlete… I’m incredibly unfit and no, I’m not actually taking many steps to change that… :(

I loooove your breakfast! I’m so jealous haha.

The blog is loading wonderfully now! Yaay! :D

Wei-Wei

52 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life May 3, 2010

Yes, I would consider myself an athlete! I’ve played sports and competed all my life (softball, volleyball). Even though I don’t consider myself super competitive, I like to do it for fun, and feel as though I’ve been trained well in these areas.
Hooray for both athletes & non-athletes alike! We’re all winners! :-D

53 Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) May 3, 2010

I do consider myself an athlete. I train, I prepare, I race… maybe I’m not pro, but I am an athlete! A runner, at that :)

xo
K

54 Camille May 3, 2010

I consider myself an athlete because my legs can run over 8 miles at a time. It makes me feel powerful, just like an athlete should feel!

55 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad May 3, 2010

I’m definitely an athlete. I take my exercise very seriously! I may not be the strongest or fittest in the group exercise classes, but I assure you, I have the most heart!

56 Paige @ Running Around Normal May 3, 2010

Not sure I consider myself an athlete…even though I just ran a half marathon. I was competing .. but against myself. However, I will be playing volleyballs oon and competing against other teams, so then I guess I’ll consider myself an athlete? haha it’s all relative I suppose…

57 Kris May 3, 2010

For me, anytime I exercise at night, it takes HOURS to fall asleep. Maybe the same for you with your evening bike rides/swims?

Damn right I am an athlete :)

58 Run Sarah May 3, 2010

The banana / overnight oat parfait looks amazing!! I don’t consider myself an athelete as I don’t think of myself as ‘good enough’ at sports as I would like. I hope that one day I will though!

59 Jaya May 3, 2010

Whatever an “athlete” may be, I think that it seems like something you never really think you are until one day you wake up and realize that your goals in sport align in importance with every other goal in your life. I loved being an athlete until I decided that making it to nationals was just not as important to me as my family, but I totally respect those for whom it is! i just don’t want my body to be the most impressive thing about me anymore. It built me into the person I am, but the sacrifices I made over 15 years (including relationships) in pursuit of athletic excellence now deserve all of the attention that originally went to sports!
I am working on un-defnining myself these days :)
Great question and even better answers!

60 Lexi May 3, 2010

i do consider myself to be an athlete! absolutely! i don’t think it’s just a term for those in team sports, i run, i spin, I do yoga, I weight train in a way that rivals most of the guys in the gym! So yes!! I am an athlete!

61 Grace aka Triathlonbabe May 3, 2010

Definition of an athlete:

ath·lete:

A person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.

I used to not think of myself as an athlete, even though I played softball, volleyball and soccer as a teenager in HS into my early 20’s. I stopped all sorts of competition after I married and we moved quite a bit because of the military. But I discovered the inner athlete, when I lost 90 lbs about 10 years ago, became an avid runner, triathlete and all around fitness queen. Or at least that is what I’m told by others. When I ran my first 5k without stopping I didn’t quite yet consider myself an athlete. When I ran my first marathon and only did it to finish, still no athlete feeling yet. It’s when I ran several half marathons and beat my PR every single time, that I knew there was something different about me. I was competing but only against myself. When I did my first triathlon and got hooked and that is when the term athlete really became a reality to “me”!!! I think if I feel and know it in my mind, I AM.

62 Audrey May 3, 2010

I must try those VOO w/ softserve. YUM!

63 Jolene May 3, 2010

No, I do not consider myself an athlete.

I am trying that Banana Softserve VOO tomorrow!!!!

64 Allison @ Food For Healing May 3, 2010

i don’t consider myself an athlete, one day I wouldn’t mind!

65 Jolene May 4, 2010

Angela, how do you find the nutritional stats like that for a dish you create?

66 Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries May 4, 2010

This looks amazing and I actually have all the ingredients on hand to make it! Hooray!

67 Jolene May 4, 2010

I made the banana soft serve VOO this morning and they were SO good!!!! I didn’t seem to have as much banana soft serve as you though … did you use more than 1 banana?

68 Kim May 5, 2010

Recreational athlete maybe?

69 Katie May 19, 2010

I tried this for the first time this morning. Looking forward to experimenting with different flavors!

70 Tricia May 28, 2010

Hey Angela!

Your blog is amazing and so is this recipe! I had it this morning and added PB and Blackberry Jam in the layers. Soooo freaking good. Thanks for introducing this to my life :-)

71 Tricia June 8, 2010

Hello again :-) I wanted to add, that if you ever find yourself in a horrible predicament where you forgot to prepare the overnight oats the night before….un-overnight oats taste just as good! I got back from a run this morning and really wanted a bowl, but I had not prepared them! So I followed the recipe and put the bowl in the fridge while I stretched and showered..and bam, un-overnight oats ready in 30 minutes. :-)

72 John July 2, 2015

Hi all , I have been losing steam early in the morning and have been thinking Im running low on Protein and don’t want to eat animals if possible, any suggestions that can give me a well balanced breakfast and keep me going ?

73 John July 2, 2015

Hi all I have been running low on steam early in the morning Im thinking its a lack of protein , I don’t think Im getting enough and would rather not eat animals if possible , any suggestions ? thank you !