Can’t Elope VOO

IMG 5483 thumb   Can’t Elope VOO

It has been hard to restrain myself from eating the other half of this cantaloupe since I sliced it open the other day. You see, once cantaloupes are sliced, they do not last long in this house. They are quite possibly the perfect fruit. It took every last ounce of strength in me not to demolish this beautiful fruit after my long swim on Wednesday night. I was so thirsty and this just screamed eat me. I had to look away…

I resisted and somehow triumphed over its’ luring nature. I had plans for this juicy cantaloupe. I knew I couldn’t just eat it spontaneously and ruin the planned Friday morning breakfast I had in mind. If I had eaten this, it would have been several days before another would ripen on my countertop.

But, lo and behold Friday morning did come sooner rather than later (it always does) and this morning I pranced down the staircase filled with glee. Today was the day, my friends. Of epic proportions.

Last night I threw together this fancy little mixture. Although, just between us girlfriends, it wasn’t really fancy at all. It was ridiculously easy and that is why I have become so smitten with Vegan Overnight Oats. Before bed, I grab my oats, milk, vanilla, chia seeds, and occasionally banana and chocolate protein powder. I mix. I sneak a taste. I place in the fridge and I prance away, saying, ‘Til tomorrow, vegan overnight oats…til tomorrow…’ with a sly smirk.

I come downstairs in the morning, and this awaits me…

IMG 5748 thumb   Can’t Elope VOO

I thanked my gourmet chef and grabbed my long-awaited cantaloupe.

Blueberry Melon Vegan Overnight Oats

Ingredients:

Vegan Overnight Oats:

• 1/3 cup regular oats
  • 3/4 cup to 1 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1.5 tbsp blueberry jam
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds

Directions: Mix together the above ingredients and place in a bowl in the fridge overnight. In the morning, stir the VOO, and pour into half of a cantaloupe. Sprinkle with shredded coconut. Enjoy with a spoon!

IMG 5754 thumb   Can’t Elope VOO IMG 5756 thumb   Can’t Elope VOO

As much as I wanted to love this, I’m not sure if I would make it again due to the reason that the cantaloupe made the VOO very watery and the taste got lost. It was fun to eat, but if I did make it again, I would likely use half the water in my VOO.

IMG 5765 thumb   Can’t Elope VOO

Last night Eric and I had a fun bike ride! We biked to a near-by trail this time.

IMG00136201004291956 thumb   Can’t Elope VOO

My Giro helmet rocked my world. It made the world of difference to be fitted by a pro in a bike shop! I also really love my new seat too. This seat is the bike shop’s top selling women’s seat and it is made especially for women!

IMG 5463 thumb1   Can’t Elope VOO IMG 5441 thumb1   Can’t Elope VOO

How cute is that tree!?

IMG00133201004291950 thumb   Can’t Elope VOO

The trail was quite rocky, hilly, and rough at times and I was a bit nervous biking on it. This probably sounds strange, but I am not that confident on a bike! I actually get really nervous when I go fast and I get especially nervous on rocky terrain. I had to slow down quite a bit while Eric went ahead. I haven’t been on a bike all too much, so I am guessing that I just need to get used to it and improve my skill like swimming. I much prefer being on FOOT, like trail running, so the biking is taking me out of my comfort zone…which is a good thing, right? :)

IMG00132201004291949 thumb   Can’t Elope VOO

It was getting late so we kept the ride short and sweet:

• Distance: 4.10 miles
  • Time: 29:31 mins.
  • Avg pace: 8.3/mph

IMG 5746 thumb   Can’t Elope VOO

Today’s question: Are you confident on a bike and do you enjoy it? Do you go biking often?

Updates:

See you for an afternoon pick-me-up! Our destination today: Old Quebec City!

Happy Friday!

Rachel (Suburban Yogini) April 30, 2010

Growing up in Cambridge UK a bike is the only means of transport worth using. You learn to ride before you can walk practically here! I love my bike soooo much :)

Robyn April 30, 2010

I was confident when I was younger, but when I got on the bike about a year ago, I was super nervous. I ended up taking a header, twice!! I would love to get back into it, as my husband loves to trail ride. But I’m with you, going fast and dealing with rocky terrain makes me nervous

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) April 30, 2010

Weird! I LOVE honey dew but cantaloupe I can ALWAYS elope away from :) Something about the flavor. I love orange colored fruits and veggies so it’s definitely not the color!

I spent my summer on Hilton Head Island last summer (working) and there were bike trails throughout the entire island. I think more people biked than drove! I would bike to the beach and along the water almost every day. I MISS BIKING!!!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing April 30, 2010

I’ve been wanting a cantaloupe for that very reason!!!! Sounds really good!
I’m NOT confidant biking. I’ve actually never been, other than when I was younger. It’s one of the things I want to try once I can exercise again.

Jil April 30, 2010

The mixture of cantelope and blueberries sounds really delicious – that’s good to know about the water though. I am NOT confident on a bike – I feel awkward…maybe because I am. haha

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin April 30, 2010

I have yet to try Chia Seeds but they look so tasty so I am going to look for some! Stinks that it wasn’t as good as it looked in the cantaloupe – I thought you were onto something!

And I love bike riding! I just got a bike a few weeks ago and its such a nice break from running sometimes.

Amy April 30, 2010

I’m not comfortable on a bike AT ALL. I took a really bad tumble (severe concussion which resulted in a medically induced coma) when I was 14 and I guess it kind of scarred me for life.

I still ride, but like you, I prefer to be on foot or on a spin bike!

seasideliz April 30, 2010

How do you like the seat? Looks like the Trek seat I have, they are awesome, just fit on your sits bones, and not the more delicate parts shall we say!
Looks like you are having fun with the biking, is is a bit scary on trails / hills at first, but it is also addictive!

Jessica @ How Sweet April 30, 2010

We bike almost every weekend in the warm weather, but its just for leisure. I usually don’t look at it as a workout – we go to a trail by a river and its very peaceful and relaxing!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman April 30, 2010

I never could get into cantaloupe, which is a shame because every fruit salad you get comes with it and I always feel like all of the other fruits end up tasting like it. Not a good thing in my opinion. Love that tree. Someone’s creative. Or has too much free time!

AGS April 30, 2010

Happy Friday, to you, as well! I thought I’d share with you, that I decided to try a week of vegan eating. I thought it would be fun to shake up my usual routine, and possibly try some less-common foods.

The one thing that I have some concern about is that I attend a lot of corporate events, and default dining is nearly always a high-end steak place. (Ales, there aren’t a lot of high-end vegan places.) I currently usually order fish (because I love it, and it’s easier on the stomach for me than steak), but I’m not sure what I’d eat were I to go vegan for a week.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 30, 2010

I would probably call ahead and ask for a vegan option!

Diana April 30, 2010

Aw, that tree’s so cute! And that breakfast sounds interesting.. I’d have to try it :P
Ok, confession time… I don’t know how to ride a bike! I never learned but I so want to learn this summer so I can be even more active during vacation and just bike whenever I feel like going for a spin :)

Heather Dawn April 30, 2010

MMM I love cantaloupe!

I am not the most confident on a bike. I get nervous when I go too fast as well. I just bought a new bike last summer so I am hoping to ride it more this year and gain some confidence!

Marina April 30, 2010

I adore cantaloupes, I would eat the whole thing right now!
Biking is my favorite activity, and I love to bike during the summer, on the country side. But few days ago, I was hit by a car, and now I’m afraid a bit to jump on my bike soon…

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 30, 2010

Stuffed melon is awesome. I would put a big pile of shredded prosciutto and arugula in there.
…in fact, I might just do that!

Ilana April 30, 2010

I think this post was meant for me today! I’ve been taking my bike out a few times a week ever since the weather started getting nice. I haven’t been out at all this week and was going to go out today, but I’m feeling lazy so I thought about skipping it. Now I think I’ll go :) I’m not so confident, especially since half my ride takes place on busy New York City streets but I think its so fun!

Lauren April 30, 2010

I was thinking that cantaloupe was such a great idea until you said how watery it made the oats. :-( I’m actually really uncomfortable on a bike, which is one of the reasons I’ll probably never try a tri!

Jolene April 30, 2010

I am confident riding on the sidewalk or on a path :-) On bumpy trails I am a little less confident. I try to bike a lot in the summer, just along the path around our main city park.

Heather April 30, 2010

I wish i had a bike, i would love to go biking! looks like yall had fun.

Shannon (The Daily Balance) April 30, 2010

cantaloupe is nature’s perfect bowl! I love filling mine with cottage cheese! so refreshing!

Jen April 30, 2010

I love riding a bike. Last summer I took weekly spinning classes at the gym, and I swear my abs never looked better! It works your obliques, legs, buns, and so much more.

That same summer, during a family vacation at the beach, my dad and I rented bikes and rode for hours around the island. It was incredibly relaxing to ride along the bay on southern tree lined streets. It was the highlight of my trip! I wish I had a bike of my own, so I could ride more regularly outdoors!

Raylene April 30, 2010

I can’t stand Cantaloupe, and I never have. My mom always tells this story about trying to give me some when I was about 2 years old and how I spit it out right away. Even the smell makes me feel a bit sick to my stomach and I have no idea why. The only melon I’ll eat occasionally is watermelon.

Therese April 30, 2010

Oh I hope you can get the VOO Cantaloupe recipe down! Looks soooo tasty! I love melons!!!

My boyfriend and I are looking to buy bikes this spring and both of us are nervous. I haven’t ridden since I was a kid and I didn’t grow up in the city and am TERRIFIED of city biking! But fear is not an option for me anymore and we’re going to learn to do it!

Stephanie April 30, 2010

My fiance and I are both VERY into cycling. We ride our bikes everywhere. Britton even rode his bike all the way from Waterloo, to London ontario so he could visit a friend….

We’re a bit hardcore.We even biked through the winter (all you need is appropriate gear, and winter tires!)

SO GLAD you got a female saddle! Doesn’t it make a difference?? I would never ride without one again!

Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle April 30, 2010

When I first started riding a road bike, I was so so so scared of going down hills. Have you seen how tiny those wheels are?! All I could think about was what if a wheel popped. I really didn’t get used to it until during a sprint triathlon- I’m too competitive and just let myself fly down the hills for time’s sake.
PS- My stepdad is a mt biking fanatic and when I first started going on trails with him, the best tip was to never look at the rock’s you don’t want to hit. Keep your eyes focused on the path you want the bike to take. Good luck!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 30, 2010

LOVE THIS! ‘never look at the rock’s you don’t want to hit. Keep your eyes focused on the path you want the bike to take’

tks!

Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle April 30, 2010

I reread it and it would apply to life too ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 30, 2010

Yes it does!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 30, 2010

ps- im linking back to you tonight and quoting your stepdad! haha

Lizz (Leading the Good Life) April 30, 2010

I understand what you mean about feeling nervous on a bike. Every Spring, I feel really wobbly the first time I ride. But eventually it gets more natural!

What scares me is riding in traffic! People (drivers) don’t seem to know how to deal with bikes in the road. I get yelled at to “get on the sidewalk, that’s what they’re for!!” It makes me so mad! I just want to scream back, “No, they’re not, sidewalks are for pedestrians! A bike is a vehicle!” I think sharing the road with cyclists should be part of drivers’ education. Ok, I’m finished venting for now. :)

Lizzie April 30, 2010

I am not super confident on my bike. My brother is an amazing bike rider! However, I usually have to ride in traffic (even to get to the nearest bike path) so I guess acting confident wouldn’t go astray :)

Allison @ Food For Healing April 30, 2010

i love biking and i am definitely very confident on it, trail riding is my favourite

Erin April 30, 2010

I love bike riding, but I am not a confident rider at all. I think I over analyze all of my moves and it can be a little stressful. I keep going though because practice almost perfect. :)

Camille April 30, 2010

Bikes and I don’t get along too well.
About 2 years ago I decided to buy a bike and bike everywhere, needless to say I rode it once and was too terrified to do it again. The bike was returned.
That’s okay, my feet were made for running, not peddling!

Heather (Heather's Dish) April 30, 2010

what a bummer the VOO were so watery! they sure did look GORGEOUS though :) i’m definitely confident on a bike and i love to do it, but i don’t bike nearly as often as i’d like to. one day though ;)

Rachel April 30, 2010

My adventurous brother took me on a trail bike ride probably 8 years ago and I ended up in near tears pushing my bike it was so scary. I’m kind of embarrassed to say that I never got back on a bike after that. Plus, I do know some people who have been in serious injuries from bike riding. But I’ve been cheering on a friend who is racing in triathlons and it has made me want to get back on a bike on some nice even terrain and see if I enjoy it.

(By the way he recommended triathlongeek.com as a great online training site.)

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter April 30, 2010

That is such a cool idea with the VOO. I usually just top mine with bananas or strawberries, but I should get out and try some other fruits as well.

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty April 30, 2010

I’m a scaredy cat riding my bike too.. way too cautious for my own good!!

!

Keri@unlazykeri April 30, 2010

I had a bad mountain biking experience at the Whistler about 6 years ago that I have never gotten over. Yet another reason that I will probably never do a triathlon (the biggest reason is I cannot swim). But props to you for going out of your comfort zone!

Blogless Neena April 30, 2010

I’ve been mountain biking for years! I love it and live in a beautiful area for it (southern Utah- red rock!!) A year and half ago I broke my ankle while biking. :( I have gotten back on again, albeit a little more timidly.

I think it’s SO cool you’re training for a tri. I’ve been toying with the idea myself.

Vivian April 30, 2010

That made me laugh to know that I’m not the only person that wakes up excited for breakfast!

I use to ride my bike a lot as a child, but not so much these days. I’m too scared to ride in the city (not made for drivers and cyclists), and haven’t really gotten myself to a bike trail. I did use to enjoy it when I did it though.

Megan April 30, 2010

Isn’t biking great? I’m very confident on my bike because when you’re confident, you can be aggressive and with some crazy drivers out there, you HAVE to be aggressive. I love riding with traffic, but also love the peaceful roads out in the county.

Grace aka Triathlonbabe April 30, 2010

I love my bike, road and mountain. I’ve always been pretty confident on my mountain bike and love rugged terrain. I do not like steep inclines though, so I usually get off the bike and walk…my hubby on the other hand loves the challenge on the inclines on the trails. Originally, it took me awhile to become one with my road bike and now, I love it! I also got fitted professionaly with my bikes and that was a huge help. I fell a few times when I first got my road bike just trying to adjust to clipping in and out.

Amber K April 30, 2010

Oatmeal in cantaloupe? Sounds fantastic! I do prefer honeydew, but cantaloupe is pretty darn good.

Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition April 30, 2010

I love cantaloupe! Always remind me of summer because I would always take it to the beach with me. Too bad it didnt’ taste as good as you were expecting with the oats!

That tree is so funny! Too cute. I’m having my dad bring my bike into NYC- I’m a little nervous to bike around here but I think I’ll get the hang out it! Plus I can leave a little later for work and good exercise!

xo