Textures, Lies, and Bike Rides

Hello there :)

I hope you had a great start to your week. I am truckin’ along getting ready for the big launch of the variety packs and coupons tomorrow morning at 10am EST! It has been rush, rush, rush all day! Luckily my green monster gave me a huge boost of energy this morning (I don’t just say that it really does!).

Lunch was deelish…

IMG 5201 thumb   Textures, Lies, and Bike Rides

I had two In A Jiffy Spelt Veggie Burgers as the ‘bun’ with tomato paste and red roasted pepper hummus smooshed in between.

Basically the best tasting thing imaginable.

Round two:

IMG 5193 thumb   Textures, Lies, and Bike Rides

It’s totally normal to eat 4 veggie burger patties for lunch, right? ;) Thought so…

Dinner was also in a jiffy!

IMG 5210 thumb   Textures, Lies, and Bike Rides

• 1.5-2 cups non-dairy milk
  • 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp basil
  • 1/2 tsp parsley
  • 1/2 clove minced garlic
  • 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1 tbsp cashew butter (optional)

Directions: Boil potatoes until soft, about 10 minutes. I didn’t even bother peeling the potatoes, but you can if you wish. Throw all ingredients, including boiled potatoes, into the blender and puree. Serve immediately and heat if necessary. Garnish with sunflower seeds. Serves 2-3.

Inspired by FFVK’s Easy Potato Soup (which I have made before and loved!).

IMG 5234 thumb   Textures, Lies, and Bike Rides

It was quite delicious in a very simple sort of way. You might want to add more seasonings to spice it up a bit.

IMG 5241 thumb   Textures, Lies, and Bike Rides

Eric tried his best to pretend to like it. He really, really did give his best performance.

I was secretly smirking out of the corner of my eye because he thought he was fooling me, but I can read him like a book.

Just for fun, I said ever-so-innocently, ‘So what do you think?’

‘It’s good.’

I knew instantly he didn’t like it. I saw his lip quiver and the fear in his eyes with each tiny spoonful.

After about 10 minutes, he finally spoke the truth…

IMG 5264 thumb   Textures, Lies, and Bike Rides

He hated the texture!!!!!!!!!!!!! bahahah. I knew it all along.

He said, ‘As far as textures go, this has to be one of the worst…’ lol.

What a guy, what a guy…and I love him anyways.

We had toast with Earth Balance margarine to go with it. Mmmm.

IMG 5230 thumb   Textures, Lies, and Bike Rides

After dinner we were rushing to beat the clock! We decided to go on a bike ride tonight in lieu of our swim. We had to get out there before sunset!

Meet my mountain bike…a 3 year old Fuji Boulevard:

IMG 0495 thumb   Textures, Lies, and Bike Rides

What a beast!

My helmet might have belonged to a 7 year old girl in its’ previous life.

IMG 0489 thumb   Textures, Lies, and Bike Rides

Embarrassing, isn’t it?

I believe I will be investing in a new one ASAP!

Eric’s bike is a Norco Wolverine:

IMG 0500 thumb   Textures, Lies, and Bike Rides

Rawwwr.

We had a great ride!

• A hilly 4.66 miles
  • Avg pace: 9.8 m/hr
  • Time: 28:34 mins.

And saw a nice sunset:

IMG 0491 thumb   Textures, Lies, and Bike Rides

It was COLD though. The weather is still not warm enough for nighttime bike rides. I think it was a windy 7C when we went out! Brrrr. I was freezing.

My post-run treat = dark chocolate chips x 2.

IMG 5267 thumb   Textures, Lies, and Bike Rides

Updates:

Tonight’s question: Are you good at detecting when your significant other (or friend/family member) is lying to you?

I had training in my criminal psychology course. We learned all the signs that liars give via their body language. It was fun. I am quite good at detecting a lie in the act! I can read Eric like a book. ;)

I need to get back to 24!!!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) April 26, 2010

I love potato-y texture soups–so thick and hearty! Silly Eric! Sweet bike :)

tj April 26, 2010

mmm that soup looks good! I made your dish- “You’re So Cheezy” Savoury Oats today for lunch-changed a few of the spices but I LOVED IT! Thanks you for sharing it! :)

Lindsay Perrone (goodiesgalore) April 26, 2010

ohh tell us the lying secrets.

love the tiny helmet!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 26, 2010

The two biggest ones are

- averting the eyes to the right or left when you ask them the question

and

- touching the face (esp the nose/moth area)

Lindsay Perrone (goodiesgalore) April 26, 2010

ohh, good to know!

Jil April 26, 2010

Aww – I think I’m pretty good at detecting lying.I dunno – I think many of the people around me are not very skilled liars rather than my skills at detecting lies being stellar. haha

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter April 26, 2010

I love that he finally told the truth! It bothers me so much when I know someone is lying to me and won’t tell me the truth!

kay (eating machine) April 26, 2010

honey your helmet has to fit if it’s going to protect you! you at least need to adjust the straps… i’ve done a lot of helmet fittings (we’re talking hundreds)-email me if you want the basics on helmet fit!
(i don’t wanna give you a long lecture on your blog :-) but i want people to be safe on their bikes!)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 26, 2010

I think that soup looks great!
But yes – I can read Mr BBB like a book when it comes to whether he likes my creations or not. He HATED my parsnip soup last week :(

Carolyn @ lovinlosing April 26, 2010

Strangely, while my husband is good at telling elaborate stories and having me believe me, he’s terrible and run of the mill lies. :)

cassie April 26, 2010

i love anything sweet potato.. your soup looks absolutely delish..

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com April 26, 2010

hahah this post made me laugh so much. u have the energy of a teenager. such a beautiful spirit. and ur rockin that little girl helmet ha! mm i’d agree.. 4 veggie patties is perfectly fine YUM:P xo

Ashley April 26, 2010

That soup looks like texture heaven to me!! hehe I can tell when Chris doesn’t like something…but he does tell me the truth. He’ll usually say “it’s just okay.” And then I ask, “would you want me to make it again?” And that is the real answer ;) I freaking love those spelt burgers..thank you SO much for the recipe AND for making me ADDicted to putting tomato paste on everything. I must go thru a jar per week now. When I used to open a jar to thicken sauces and whatnot I would never ever use the whole thing. Loooooove it!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman April 26, 2010

Your lunch was like a healthy version of the KFC Double Down. Hehe. I can always tell when my husband is lying. He’s a horrible liar and always breaks into a smile. But just in case, I had been watching the show Lie to Me. You know, to pick up extra clues. :)

Lizz (Leading the Good Life) April 27, 2010

That’s exactly what I was thinking!! MUCH healthier :)

Adrienmelaine (confessionsofahealthnut) April 26, 2010

I love the look of that soup- thanks for posting the recipe and linking back to those burgs- only a tiny bit jealous of your day today!

I can always tell when family is lying- and I’m the worst liar so I know they can tell when I’m lying as well!

Have a great Tuesday girl!

Ameena April 26, 2010

I love that you ate 4 of those burgers for lunch…they look delicious. I could easily eat that many X 2!

I can always tell when my hubby is lying to me. He is the worst liar in the world, which is a good thing I guess! :)

nut April 26, 2010

wITH your busy body and brain, you can mosst definitely have 4 jiffy burgers + a few more at lunch :)

Laura @ Backstage Pass to Health & Happinesslaura April 26, 2010

Lol I was going to say the same thing, your sandwich looks EXACTLY like the ‘Double Down’ from KFC! In the states there are commercials on for those all the time. they are these awful bun-less sandwiches that are two fried chicken pieces with bacon, cheese and a mayo sauce inbetween (yuck). When I saw the photo I thought you were joking about KFC! LOL again!
Oh, but your hummus and tomato combo sounds divine.
When my boyfriend is bluffing I can usually tell by a mischevous twinkle in his eyes. And sometimes he’ll do a nervous smile. He’d be awful at poker!

Jolene April 26, 2010

Oh yeah – I can read my hubby like a book as well!

Nora April 26, 2010

Did you mean to make your sandwich like the Double Down? haha

Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition April 26, 2010

I’m pretty good at reading people and can usually tell if someone is lying! Plus I’m the WORST liar ever!

jenn April 26, 2010

I can almost always tell if someone is lying to me.

That soup looks tasty. :-)

Kris April 26, 2010

LOL

There is so mush humour in this post :) Pete and I think you ROCK that helmet! :) Look on the bright side, your birthday is coming :)

xo

Amber K April 26, 2010

I’m absolutely horrible about knowing when people are lying to me. Although those around me TOTALLY know when I am.

But I am the same way with textures. The taste can be ok, but if the texture is disgusting I simply can’t stomach the food!

Jenny April 26, 2010

Lol, it’s awesome you ate four veggie burgers in one meal!

Rosie April 26, 2010

Ahhh nwo I really need to try making those burgers. You keep tempting me with these delicious pictures!!! Lol. It would work wiht regular flour, right? (Although it wouldn’t be as nutritious… sad)

Tahina September 30, 2010

i made them last night with normal flour and they were delish :) where i live we have the huuuuuge range of flours… plain or self raising!!

Wei-Wei April 26, 2010

Hahaha the burger reminds me of the KFC Double Down! Though a LOT healthier and a LOT more delicious :D The soup sounds delicious as well! Though I would imagine that the texture would be somewhat like… mush? I mean, it’s just basically watered-down mashed potatoes, right? =/

Wow, you took criminal psychology? That’s AWESOME! I’d love to do that!

Wei-Wei

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] April 27, 2010

You win for best spoon pics – they make anything look appetizing! =]

Camille April 27, 2010

Lunch looks amaaazing!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is April 27, 2010

My hubby is the WORST liar! I can tell right away!

Kristie April 27, 2010

Mmm… when it comes to those veggie burgers, 4 patties at lunch seems just right :). And I don’t want to come off as lecturing either, but I’ve always heard that wearing hats under your helmet (ball caps in particular) are a big no-no (the size thing too but you know that I’m guessing since you mentioned getting a new one).

Tina April 27, 2010

I know I could eat a hefty lunch like that if I needed as much energy as you do for all your hard work.

And I can read my husband like a book too. Although the trick is getting the truth (well more what he is thinking) out of him. I can know he’s lying or keeping something from me but I have to fight him to just tell me.

Therese April 27, 2010

Yeah, I know when my boyfriend is lying! Doesn’t happen often but there are subtle shifts in his normal laid back attitude. Although when it comes to food he really will eat, and like, anything you put in front of him!

You look smokin’ hot in that helmet though! :D

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg April 27, 2010

I can definitely tell when my husband is lying…so he rarely tries to do it anymore, because he knows he won’t get away with it!! Lol.

Double-down vegan sammie!! :-)

Sarah April 27, 2010

Green Monsters really get me going for the day, too! I used to be pretty dependent on coffee to start off my work day right. Now, I have a green monster, and I’m good to go. I drink (fair trade, organic)coffee more for the enjoyment these days.

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 27, 2010

Four veggie burgers? Totally normal. I still need to try those!!

And that soup looks amazing! I love blended soups.

I can totally tell when Nick is lying! He doesn’t do it often, and it is usually about food! When I sneak mushrooms or spinach in his food, usually… hehe

xo
K

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 27, 2010

I love potato soups! They always remind me of this delicious potato leek soup my dad used to make when I was younger. :)

Christine April 27, 2010

You NEED a new helmet ASAP. They don’t even make those anymore b/c they’re not safe to ride in. You need one that fits your head and protects the back of it as well. Go to a bike shop and get a proper helmet, you’ll be amazed at the difference!!

Mikki April 27, 2010

My husband is a great guy who is honest to a fault and he is such a terrible liar. Although he did admit a couple months ago to breaking my lava lamp shortly after we met… 7 years ago! Guess his conscience finally got the best of him :) And he is always skeptical on trying new things. I am working on getting him to try almond milk on his cereal.

Heather (Heather's Dish) April 27, 2010

soooo funny…nate does the same thing! he knows that dinner is part of my creative expression, but if i make something he’s scared about or doesn’t want to eat he definitely gets shifty and tries to encourage me anyway :) love him so much, and i’m glad he at least tries!

Amy April 27, 2010

Hey Ang – Are you doing your tri-a-tri on a mountain bike or a road bike? Or maybe a hybrid.

Just curious. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 27, 2010

Our mountain bikes :) We dont want to buy anything new for the try-a-tri….if we get hooked we will get a road bike tho!

Paige @ Running Around Normal April 27, 2010

Haha that helmet is too rad.
I’m not huge on the potato soup texture either. But most other textures I find just fine!

Page 1 of 212»