Banana Split Vegan Overnight Oats: Take II

It’s such a stormy day outside today!

IMG 5078 thumb   Banana Split Vegan Overnight Oats: Take II IMG 5080 thumb   Banana Split Vegan Overnight Oats: Take II

The perfect day to get some work done. ;) I slept 9 hours last night too! I find it is always easier to sleep when it is grey outside.

I woke up to my gourmet chef who had prepared these lovely oats for me. ;) Actually, it was just Vegan Overnight Oats, but it was sure nice to come down to!

IMG 5034 thumb   Banana Split Vegan Overnight Oats: Take II

In this bowl: 1/3 cup oats, 3/4 cup almond milk, 2 tablespoons light coconut milk, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1 tablespoon chia seeds, 1/2 scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate Amazing Meal Powder.

Directions: Mix above ingredients in a bowl and place in the fridge overnight. In the morning, give them a quick stir and assemble.

After making my Banana Split Vegan Overnight Oats on Friday, I knew I wanted to make them again this morning!

1) Do the Banana Splitz:

IMG 5038 thumb   Banana Split Vegan Overnight Oats: Take II

2) Top with the VOO, unsweetened coconut, and strawberry jam:

IMG 5055 thumb   Banana Split Vegan Overnight Oats: Take II

3) Add the Sauce!

IMG 5058 thumb   Banana Split Vegan Overnight Oats: Take II

Today I threw together a Maple coconut syrup (mix 1-1.5 tbsp light coconut milk with 1/2 tablespoon pure maple syrup). It was deelish!

IMG 5072 thumb   Banana Split Vegan Overnight Oats: Take II

4) Add some crunch

IMG 5068 thumb   Banana Split Vegan Overnight Oats: Take II

I added some cacao nibs and they gave it a great crunchy texture in each bite. It was so good.

Easiest breakfast ever!

is2 shoppingcart800 1 thumb   Banana Split Vegan Overnight Oats: Take II

Thank you for your suggestions about listening to tunes while swimming! I heard great things about these H20 Audio cases for iPods. You can purchase it at H20 Audio, along with other models.

I’m not sure if I would actually buy one or not. While I do miss music, I think swimming might be a great way to tune out everything and focus on my breathing and the sounds of the water. I really enjoy that about swimming, so I think I may just need to get used to it. It might be a good thing to have every once and a while though!

Today’s question- What activities do you prefer to have music ON and what activities do you prefer to have music OFF?

Prefer to have music on:

• Paperwork
  • Running (although in certain areas I turn it off)
  • Treadmill/any gym cardio equipment unless I am watching TV
  • Baking all day
  • cleaning

Prefer to have music off:

• Writing
  • Biking
  • Trail running

Now I am off to capitalize on this crappy weather by getting my baking done!

Have a great day :)

Shannon, Tropical Eats April 25, 2010

its a icky day in florida too! it’s kind of nice Sunday weather though :)

I like having music on when I’m studying, driving around town, cooking dinner, and walking to class.

Music off when I’m under intenseeee stress.

Sarah April 25, 2010

i swam competitively for over ten years and i sometimes would crave music especially at 4:30am practice before high school! i love music when i’m driving or working out or cooking especially broadway music :) i like to perform mini musicals for my pots and pans!

gooood luck baking! i’m sure i’m going to start seeing glo bars in whole foods soon :) can’t wait to check out your new one!!

Ashley April 25, 2010

I only like music if I’m on a treadmill. If I’m on a stationary bike, I read. If I’m doing anything outside I just let my mind wander and get annoyed with having to fidget with music and I don’t like making playlists :) With swimming I have a hard enough time keeping track of my laps, haha. Swimming time goes by the quickest compared to any other cardio for me! I do like music when I’m baking though!

Jin April 25, 2010

I rarely listen to music….hmm..weird..I used to plug myself in all the time but now I enjoy the process of doing things- even if it’s something I don’t really like!
But a good yoga practice needs some gentle flow of music for me :D Other than that, I think I’m good!

I’m eating your overnight oats (the original recipe) btw! So yummy!

CB April 25, 2010

That VOO banana split looks delicious!

I like to have music on when driving, doing housework, and doing a weight workout, and prefer to not listen to it when doing anything outside (running, biking, etc.).

Jil April 25, 2010

I like music during things like running, walking, etc..but I can’t do music while doing work – I get distracted too easily.

Camille April 25, 2010

I love all the trees! It looks absolutely beautiful out!
Breakfast looks beautiful too :)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is April 25, 2010

I need music to work out, I had no idea you could listen to it in the pool!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete April 25, 2010

I love music when I am running outside on pavement or doing anything inside cardio related. If I’m lifting weights, trail running or swimming, no music please! I don’t know if anyone has suggested this yet to you or not, but have you looked into buying the book “Total Immersion” ? My hubby and i have two copies, and we are always loaning them out to friends because it works! It will teach you how to swim efficiently. You shouldn’t be stopping at the end of every length if you are doing it right. I’m not trying to be mean, but I was doing the same thing until my husband starting working with me with my technique. I finally figured out how to breathe in the water, and I wasn’t stopping so out of breath! Again, I haven’t seen you swim, but I’m just trying to save you from the unneeded suffering that I went through for a long time. ;)

Another question, I might have missed it, but what sparked your veganism? Was it animal rights or healthy eating at first? I’m considering it, and I’m just trying to gather as much info as possible since it is a huge decision to be made. I’ve read the Kind Diet, and I agree with most of the points in the book. Any extra incite would be appreciated. Thanks!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete April 25, 2010

oops, “insight” would be nice too. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 25, 2010

I have not read that book yet but it sounds great!

For some thoughts on my transition to veganism you can check out this post: http://ohsheglows.com/2009/11/18/my-road-to-health-part-vi/ :) Goodluck!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] April 25, 2010

You definitely should win an award for Most Creative Vegan : )

I usually can’t write with tunes either. Running: yes. Cleaning: yes yes!

Lisa April 25, 2010

I like my swim time to be “quiet time”. I listen to music or talk radio all day. I don’t miss it either. Swimming is relaxing for me.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter April 25, 2010

Music off would definitely be reading, studying, writing, or anything that requires processing words through my brain.

Music on: most forms of exercise, especially running and rock climbing, cleaning, and definitely dancing :D

Bec April 25, 2010

Glad you are loving swimming so much, I can`t wait for the school year to be over (3 more days!) so I can get home and get in the water!

Rachel @ Suburban Yogini April 25, 2010

The only exercise I like to listen to music for is if I’m actually in the gym on the treadmill or elyptical because the gym is boring as all hell!!! But these days I don’t go to the gym that much, most of my exercise is done outside and I like to listen to nature.

I listen to a lot of music when cooking, doing housework, some of my work (not writing but paperwork and so on), and when I’m on public transport (to cut out inane chatter ;)).

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ April 25, 2010

What kind of oats do you use in your overnight oats?

I used a combo of quick cook and oat bran the first time and it was really good. Last night I used extra thick oats and the texture was all wrong.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 25, 2010

just reg oats

Jolene April 25, 2010

I like having music on when I clean or cook. I like having it off when I read or write.

Mary @ What's Cookin' with Mary April 25, 2010

Music on = working out alone (biking, gym cardio, walking, weight lifting)
Music off = when I have no buddy…

:: Rochelle @ Princess Hotcakes April 25, 2010

I love music! I seriously wish I could have an iPod smart enough to coordinate a soundtrack to my day! Ya know, just like in the movies!

Your banana split VOO looks tasty but I’ve found I can’t stomach that much sweetness in the morning. Weird, eh? I guess I’m a savory kind of morning girl.

Oh, and here in Portland, OR I was awoken EARLY due to a gorgeous full sunrise (huge skylights in the loft apartment). Not that I’m totally bitter – it will be nice to get outside today! :)

nut April 25, 2010

Youhave done it again. Lovely stuff.
I like music when driving long drives…but when I hear the same songs for the 100th time, silence is heavenly.

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) April 25, 2010

I can’t have any music or TV when I’m writing — so distracting!

Carol April 25, 2010

Music on= All the time!
I need to have music while I’m running, travelling, working. Especially when I’m studying as I get distracted by any little noise and it helps me concentrate. If I’m writing it has to be songs that I know well so that I don’t get distracted listening lol :)
I would be so scared to put my precious Ipod in that and go swimming. Although I’m sure it works just fine I would keep thinking it was going to get waterlogged!

Cynthia (It All Changes) April 25, 2010

I normally like the noise of music but I love the peace of swimming without it.

Run Sarah April 25, 2010

I dont like music on at the computer, writing, or studying. Any other time is great! When I used to swim competitively, we had underwater speakers for the synchro swim team. One year they did ‘Aqua – Barbie Girl’. I CANNOT listen to that song to this day!

Mary Ann April 25, 2010

I have not gotten into the IPod craze while I run. I use that time to pray and soak up the beautiful outdoors. Today I ran a half marathon (the rain held off) and was amazed at the dogwood and redbud trees in bloom. Running makes me feel alive and I don’t want anything to disrupt that. Thanks for a great, inspiring blog. Good luck to you and Eric with your triathlon training.

Jenn April 25, 2010

I like to focus on my breathing and “swooshing” while swimming. My coach like to wear his MP3, I would be worried about trying to keep up tempo with the music like I do with running to music.
Today was my first 10km race of the season and the weather was quite cold by the water and grey when starting out! Beautiful by the time we hit the finish line!
Breakfast looks delicious!

Tieghan April 25, 2010

I am so with I am not a fan of music well i workout ether! I like to let my mind wander!

Bronwyn April 25, 2010

Music On:
-working out on treadmill/stat bike/etc at the gym
-reading blogs etc in the morning
-cleaning

Music Off
-running
-biking
-swimming
-writing/studying/working on homework

Allison @ Food For Healing April 25, 2010

i love music when i am exercising, I like music when i’m cleaning or cooking. I usually don’t like music when i’m studying or doing homework because i start to focus on the lyrics haha

Meg April 25, 2010

i really want to make those overnight oats…but i don’t have chia seeds. would it still be as good without them?

Heather (Heather's Dish) April 25, 2010

i love having music when i’m working out, cleaning, cooking, etc. really anything when i’m moving around i love music, but if i’m sitting at the computer or reading, i can NOT have music playing at all!

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com April 25, 2010

Music on: drawing, sewing, painting, dancing/running (no brainer), online chatting, cleaning, housework etc.

Music off: reading, studying, eating, yoga, daydreaming.

Jessica @ The Process of Healing April 25, 2010

That looks yummy!!!! I’m all over ANY kind of banana split!

Kelly April 25, 2010

I prefer to have music (or TV) on in the background basically all the time if possible. For some reason I’m better focused when there is some kind of background. However, at yoga they don’t have music on and that’s okay (though I’ve gone to a class with it, which was fun). I don’t usually bike with music but sometimes I’ll stick one headphone in one ear on a bike trail. What can I say? I love some background noise :)

Cristal April 25, 2010

So I had my husband (who HATES vegetables) try his first Green Monster today. OK…so I had to trick him, “Close your eyes and taste this.” Luckily he trusts me. He absolutely loved it and asked for his own!!! I’m so excited about this. One step closer to a healthier Hubby ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 25, 2010

haha thats great!!

Vivian April 25, 2010

Mm, the banana split looks yummy – I gotta give that a try!

Masha April 25, 2010

That looks delicious!

Music… I agree with a lot of your suggestions. But I actually like music during writing. It just has to be the right kind of music, backgroundy music: a) lyrics I don’t need to sing along to and b) old enough that it’s predictable.

Wei-Wei April 25, 2010

I only like music on when I’m feeling happy, for some reason. Music when I’m down just serves to sort of aggravate me more… But I like music when I’m doing homework! No music when exercising though (my mom thinks it’s dangerous)

I’m loving the Banana Split VOO! Looks awesome :D

Cheers to the beginning of a long week!

Wei-Wei

jassy April 26, 2010

you’re banana split looks delicious=)

zoe April 26, 2010

i love blasting loud music and running to the quick tempo when I am running on the threadmill! it keeps me going and stay motivated ! =)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 26, 2010

I like having music ON when I am cleaning, cooking/baking, doing boring paperwork, running or working out on a machine!

Music OFF when I am doing yoga, school work, reading, or writing!

xo