Going Bananaz

IMG 48572 thumb   Going Bananaz

Yesterday morning called for something spectacular in the breakfast department.

I awoke around 6am after a sleepless night. I faintly remember beeping. Loud beeping. Shrill beeping. Our power went off a few times during the night and when it turned on again, all of our electronics starting having beeping fits. I tossed and turned most of the night…beep, beep, beep. It reminded me of being in a dorm room in university and having the fire alarm go off at 4am every weekend.

After stumbling downstairs, I decided the only thing that would make me feel human again was a breakfast so spectacular, I would not be able to think of anything else.

IMG 4863 thumb   Going Bananaz

Banana Split Vegan Overnight Oats

Packed with delicious oats, chia seeds, almond milk, coconut, chocolate protein powder, banana, and strawberry jam…how could you go wrong? Rumour has it, this breakfast will keep you buzzing along for a solid 4 hours.

Ingredients:

Overnight Oats:

• 1/3 cup regular oats
  • 3/4 cup Almond Milk
  • 1/2 scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate Amazing Meal Protein Powder (adds 5 grams protein)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds

Directions: Mix above ingredients in a bowl and place in the fridge overnight. In the morning, give them a quick stir and add toppings + banana below.

This Chocolate Amazing Meal tastes so good in overnight oats…

IMG 4847 thumb   Going Bananaz

Banana split:

• 1 ripe banana
  • 1 tbsp Unsweetened coconut
  • 1 tbsp Strawberry jam
  • Chocolate coconut syrup (mix 1 tbsp dark choc. chips with 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil and melt in micro)

Can you handle this? I can’t.

IMG 48642 thumb   Going Bananaz

My heart skipped a beat when I prepared this and looked down at my masterpiece. Was I really about to eat something so delicious!?

Oh yes, yes I was.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Eric drooling over this as he pretended not to ‘like’ oatmeal. Pffffft. ;)

IMG 4875 thumb   Going Bananaz

It kept me full for 4 blissful hours. Food did not cross my mind once all morning which is very unusual. I estimated the calories in this recipe to be about 450-500. The perfect amount of fuel for a morning on my feet.

Plans were made to make it again soon, real soon.

IMG 48652 thumb   Going Bananaz

You can get creative with the toppings too…I could see yogurt or coconut milk being delicious as a topping or even some raw vegan chocolate chips. How fun would it be on a Sunday morning in lieu of pancakes?

Yesterday was a good day after all. :mrgreen:

An Exercise Confessional

I have been having a hard time getting back ON the exercise wagon since my break while healing my groin pull. I find it can be easy for me to blow off exercise once I have had some time off. It is almost like I get out of the habit and start to enjoy the extra hour in the day to get more work done! This week has also been super busy so I have been using that as an additional excuse not to get back into my routine. I keep saying ‘oh tomorrow I will get back into it’ and so far it hasn’t materialized.

Today’s question- Do you ever fall off the exercise wagon? Do you ever experience slumps or lack of motivation?

It definitely happens to me every now and then! I think it is normal to have certain weeks where it is hard to get into the game. I try not to let my slump go longer than a week (aside from an obvious injury that prohibits me to). I find once I do get back into it, it just comes easy. It is that first workout that is always the hardest isn’t it? Then after my first workout, I remember why I am in love with exercise. Sometimes it takes some fresh endorphins to remember though! :)

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin April 23, 2010

Those banana split overnight oats look AMAZING. I am definitely going to have to try something similar!! Wow.

And in terms of falling off the exercise wagon, I think its easy when you get sidelined for an injury or have to take time off for some reason or another. When I’m in the groove I am very consistent, but I always have a hard time getting back on the wagon if I’ve been off it for a while.

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) April 23, 2010

I definitely have days/weeks where I would much rather do nothing–anything–than workout. Usually at school I am super motivated though. It helps with passing the time and I find that it’s when I’m super stressed that I want to workout.

It’ll be interesting to see how I manage to get my butt moving when I am not as stressed post graduation.

Your upcoming triathlon will get your butt in gear, no?

Jessica @ How Sweet April 23, 2010

Oooh that breakfast is making me drool. Holy yum.

I have worked out consistently for over 10 years, so YES I have definitely fell off the wagon. The only thing that has worked for me? JUST DO IT. Just begin again, start that routine. It is a cycle. You work out -> feel great, confident, stress relief, etc. Sometimes changing things up and doing a workout without pressure, like walking outside helps me too. Oh, and taking time off! I have gone a few weeks without exercising and been ok with it, but I always come back!

Gillian April 23, 2010

LOL – I have totes been off the exercise wagon this past week also! I have a two HUGE final assignments due for my night school classes. Exercise just does not fit into my schedule of cramming to get it all done in my perfectionist style! I’m not worried about it though – I know when I get back to normal, my exercise will too!

Laura April 23, 2010

Oh my… that breakfast is definitely drool-worthy!!!!! Defintiely going to have to dry that sometime VERY SOON!

marianne April 23, 2010

OMG that looks like heaven in a bowl!!! I somewhat make oatmeal with similar ingredients in it every morning (major sweet tooth) — cacao nibs, chia, banana, EV coconut oil, goji etc. I look forward to my bowl of oatmeal from the second I get up :)

Cristal April 23, 2010

Angela, It is so funny that you bring this up. After I ran my 10K, My body and I were in need of an exercise break. I was worried about taking a week off because, like you, I was afraid that it would be too easy to keep blowig it off. Yesterday was my first day back on the exercise wagon and instead of running, I went for a nice bike ride and this morning I started a new strength workout. I think what helps me is switching it up with some new cardio and strength moves. That way your not going back into the same ole’ routine! Get back out there! You’re gonna feel so much better! ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2010

I agree! And I was kinda waiting til I had my swimsuit pruchased so I can swim laps…well now I have it so im good to go! :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) April 23, 2010

oh, i TOTALLY get that way! for some reason finding motivation is just so hard sometimes. i wonder if this means you should heal a little more though? that’s what i found was the case with me last year when i sprained my ankle hiking…i was thinking i just wasn’t in the mood, but deep down i knew i needed to take some more time off. not sure if that’s the case with your injury, but just thought i’d throw that out there :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2010

it def. could be because of that…I was thinking maybe FEAR…fear that I dont want to hurt myself? I think just easing back into it will be the best.

Rachel (Suburban Yogini) April 23, 2010

In a way I’m lucky because my bicycle is my only means of transport so if I need to get to work or to teaching then I need to get on my bike. This way a day rarely goes by that I don’t get exercise (albeit unwillingly some days) :)

Molly (Fuel Her Up) April 23, 2010

I would just start out going outside or on a treadmill, walking, then up the speed a little at a time. Once you get the endorphins pumping you won’t be able to stop yourself!

Kate April 23, 2010

Those oats look amazing!!! I can’t wait to try them! Oh, I definitely fall off the wagon! I’m currently trying to get back on it and had to change things up completely to keep me entertained. Bought a new iPod with updated songs, got a month membership to a hip new gym, and am meeting with a personal trainer today to help me figure out something “fresh” to get me back in the game. :) We’re only human and I’m just glad that during my “slump” I still fed myself nutritious foods. It makes me feel less guilty of not working out like normal. :)

Diana April 23, 2010

That breakfast looks amazing Angela! :)

Heather @ Side of Sneakers April 23, 2010

When I’m in a routine, I do great with getting my exercise in. But when something disrupts it- pain, etc- I have so much trouble getting back into it. Honestly I find it harder to restart exercise than go for a 10 mile run.

It makes me think about how hard it is for people trying to exercise for the first time, and have sympathy for them. It’s tough!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2010

“Honestly I find it harder to restart exercise than go for a 10 mile run” I couldnt agree more sometimes!

And that is such a great point that you brought up about people starting off for the first time!

Alina April 23, 2010

That happened to me last month!
I had a rough cold so I took a week off. Then I took another week off because things were busy at work and after a week off it felt normal not to exercise. Then I had dental surgery and I had to take another week off. Before I knew it, I had gone a month with maybe 3 workouts in total. It’s weird – when you are working out, your body craves another workout. When you are not working out, your body craves the couch.

So that’s what happened – I got home from work every day, and I couldn’t do anything except watch 5 episodes of 24 in a row. I felt completely fatigued and I didn’t understand why. Then I took a yoga class and went on a two-day cross-border shopping trip (whole days of walking), and realized that this was the first time I didn’t feel fatigued in two weeks. Then, after missing three more days of workouts, I felt fatigued again. I finally realized that it was the workouts, and got back on the wagon.

Sorry for the super long essay, but I just want to say, after over a week of working out, I feel like myself again and my body wants exercise. So, I am sure that if you start again today, and just do something – anything – for five days out of the next seven – in a week you will feel super excited to work out too!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2010

“It’s weird – when you are working out, your body craves another workout. When you are not working out, your body craves the couch.”

yes yes yes! I found the first few days while healing and off exercise were SO hard then it was as if my body adjusted and was like ok, a free hour in the day now! haha

Hannah April 23, 2010

Oh my gosh I just ate this!!! I was half way through my regular breakfast when I thought-wait I must try Angela’s new recipe!! I used greek yogurt instead of overnight oats, but boy, this breakfast baby was DIVINE!!!! I literally licked the plate clean!!

Ugh, the exercise thing. I have two different spots on each leg that hurt sometimes when I walk, but mostly when I stretch them. It’s been bothering me for a while and I’ve tried resting and then starting back again and nothing seems to work. It IS very frustrating! But really, your strength to take it easy when you know you should has inspired me just as much as any other blogger’s workout, if not more! I’m more forgiving with myself about taking days off. So Thank You!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2010

haha so glad you like it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2010

I am glad that my own resting could help you too :) It is a hard thing to do at times.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman April 23, 2010

Every few months I get injections in my knee that sideline me for a couple weeks. After all that resting, it’s SO hard to get back to the gym. Beforehand, it was no question something I’d be doing after work. But after the treatments it’s like I never have enough time to go!

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) April 23, 2010

I go through phases where I love exercise and when I hate it. I’m in the dislike phase right now but see my daily afternoon walks as more fun that working out. As long as I’m moving…

I’m sure a million people asked this (and you might have already answered) but where did you get that cute orange spoon? I think Kath has a similar one, no? I love that size and the adorable shape!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2010

The orange spoon is from a kitchen store in Florida and I don’t know the name (sorry!), but you can also get them at Crate and Barrel too!

Christina April 23, 2010

That looks SO good! I am going to try it this weekend =)

Pauline April 23, 2010

Yay, I’m glad it’s normal for people to fall off the wagon! I’m having exams right now and it’s hard to incorporate exercise! I try not to fall out of the exercise habit because my body has a hard time readjusting to regular exercise if I don’t exercise in a awhile.

I’m definitely going to work out today though!!

Christina April 23, 2010

Omg, that breakfast is definitely drool worthy.

I agree that it’s harder to get back into an exercise routine after you’ve had a break. I really really didn’t want to run this morning but I just got my butt out of bed and on the road, telling myself I’ll only do half the miles I had scheduled. I ended up doing them all! The hardest part for me is just getting out there.

Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle April 23, 2010

That has to be the most tempting oatmeal picture ever. I don’t have half the ingredients but I’m still going to go make banana oats with all sorts of delicious toppings.

As for exercise… I had to take time off after recent surgery and it has been soooo hard to get back on track. That extra hour or so in the day (from not exercising/showering/etc) really makes a difference sometimes!

Lex @ sweettoothlex April 23, 2010

OMG I’m so glad that’s strawberry jam!

At first glance I thought that was ketchup! ahaha

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2010

that would be something Eric would do if he ate oats haha

Sophie @ yumventures April 23, 2010

I have fallen off the wagon a bit recently. It happens when I get busy (especially on the weekends!) and I hate to blow off plans and friends for a workout. But I keep telling myself to go when I can, and eventually it will happen more frequently!

Lauren (Health on the Run) April 23, 2010

Oh my gosh — that breakfast really does look like heaven!! I’ve actually never had Chocolate Amazing Meal but have been dying to try it (hoping to win some! haha). This definitely made MY own morning bowl of banana oatmeal look so boring…

Anyway, I’ve definitely fallen off the exercise wagon more times than I can count! Whether from an injury or just from being over-trained/over-tired. And I agree — it’s so easy to not want to give up that hour of time you’ve suddenly gained. But I think it’s okay to take a break from it every once in awhile. Oftentimes, when I finally DO get my butt in gear and start moving, I find I’m much more excited about exercise (usually running) than I was before. Sometimes absence (or in this case, a little time off) does make the heart grow fonder! ;) Good luck with your workout today!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2010

I agree…sometimes breaks are a good thing for sure!

Mellissa April 23, 2010

I am in a rut now, I have had no motivation to go to the gym. I keep trying to get motivated and it just hasn’t happened. I am aiming for 2 workouts this weekend. I can do it!

Jolene April 23, 2010

Anytime I take more than a day break from exercise I fall off the wagon for a while … it is best for me to not take more than a day or two at the most for a break.

Genie April 23, 2010

I definitely have my slumps! I think we often forget that time off from working out is a good thing. Our bodies need recovery time! :D

That breakfast looks so delicious!!!

Shelly April 23, 2010

Of course I experience slumps! In Jan./Feb. I got 3 chest colds, one after the other (one of the reasons having a fiance in med school sucks- he brings home so many colds now that he’s doing rotations) and I did as much as I could while I was sick- but that amount to working out once or twice a week (and doing pretty easy stuff). Of course, thanks to being sick and not expending a lot of energy, my appetite dialed down significantly and I didn’t gain weight (I lost a little, but I think it was muscle)- but it took me SO long to feel like I was in shape again.
On the other hand, I was chomping at the bit to get going again (My moods are a lot better when I’m active), so motivating myself to exercise wasn’t as hard as I was worried it would be.

Therese April 23, 2010

I think I know what I’m having tomorrow morning!!! YOU are a genius…

I can definitely have a hard time getting into working out after some time off. You’re right, that first workout is the toughest! I do this a lot with training for races, once the race is done and I have a recovery week I just don’t feel motivated. I find that those are the weeks that I workout for vanity reasons rather than health reasons! LOL I find superficial motivation to get me through it!

Adrienne April 23, 2010

Whenever I fall into a “slump”, I really feel like it’s my body’s way of telling me to take a break. As soon as my workouts seem like a chore, or I start getting little injuries I always take some time off (about 5 days or so, but up to 10)…After that I always get back to the gym feeling strong and re-energized! This is also a good way to break muscle building plateaus!

Laura @ youngDCliving April 23, 2010

I totally agree with you about the workouts, I find it MUCH harder to start it again once I’ve been slacking off. Since I know myself well enough to know that now, I try to avoid major breaks for that very reason and now I know that I feel much better when I do work out, so that’s a motivation to keep going. If you’re feeling out of it, I say just push yourself to do it (even if you’re not excited) and you’ll quickly get back in your groove ;)

Brooke April 23, 2010

Your post is so timely! I have had a terrible week keeping my motivation to get up early and work out. This is SO unlike me. I’ve been in kind of a funk though and so finding motivation for anything has been a chore. However! I did peel myself out of bed this am and enjoyed a killer workout. I feel a million times better and am ready to attack my morning’s again!

Lizzie April 23, 2010

I took 3 months off over the end of/beginning of the year to give my ankle a much needed time out. Getting back to the point I was at in October has been a wake up call as to both my physical and mental commitment to running. Having never had to take any time off (save for 2 weeks with a bruised foot) it was very tempting to just jump right back in. But then I found both my fears and my (temporarily) waning passion, plus crummy weather made even non-running workouts a challenge. I guess it’s making your mind up that you really want to do it and then taking the necessary steps (in mind and body) to make it happen. Having just one good workout can fuel you back on track! :)

Lisa (I'm an Okie) April 23, 2010

I usually fall of the exercise wagon for about 1-2 weeks every 3-4 months! Once I start becoming not so motivated, I know it’s time to take a break and I usually just allow myself that 1-2 weeks off! Your body and mind need it sometimes!

Nikki T April 23, 2010

I’m in the same boat as you right now…off the exercise wagon! And I’m having a heck of a time climbing back on…!!
Well, I haven’t been totally off as I’ve still been doing my kettlebell class every week and walking my puppy, however I have been off the RUNNING wagon for a whole month :S
I ran my first 10km on March 14th and I injured my foot…while it was healing I decided to listen to my body and take time off of running so as not to make the injury worse…after all, that little puppy NEEDS to walk everyday and I can’t help her out with a totally bummed foot!!
So…now I’ve signed up for my second 10km (a trail run) in July and I need to get back in the running game…

HELP!! I need motivation!! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2010

I always yell this outloud (and make Eric laugh)
FEED THE WARRIOR!!!!!!!!

haha

Lauren M. April 23, 2010

I fall on and off the exercise wagon quite frequently now. There was a period of time (hmmm, say 7 years?) where I ran everyday because I had to for high school and college. I tore my hamstring in college and it still bugs me on a weekly, maybe monthly basis, so I’ll give it a few rest days. But, just like you, I get used to having that extra time in my day and I don’t want to start up again. I fell off the wagon this week because I’m so overwhelmed with my Master’s thesis, teaching full time, part time job and Trader Joe’s, and maintaing relationships with family and boyfriend. I’m just so exhausted at the end of the day and too tired in the morning to get to the gym at 5 like I normally would. I’m not stressing though. I know exercise is a big part of my life and I know as soon as normalcy returns, I will be right back to it. Until then, I get out and walk when I have a spare 15 minutes and I continue to eat (and eat…and eat…) yummy healthy food!!

Jenna April 23, 2010

what a fun creative breakfast! looks fantastic.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter April 23, 2010

Those oats look spectacular!!!

I have definitely fallen off the exercise wagon. It usually happens when my body hits its breaking point from exercising too much, and then I have everyone telling me to take a break and let my body rest…then I start enjoying the rest too much :(

Camille April 23, 2010

Yum! Breakfast looks delicious and decadent (plus healthy!)
Have a great morning!

Shawna @ Balancing Me April 23, 2010

This looks sooooo YUMMY! It is definitely on my list to make this weekend!

Page 1 of 3123»