Past My Comfort Zone

Good morning to you!

We didn’t end up going to Costco last night, but we did go on a hot date to the local air pump. ;)

It looks like my back tire is busted! Eric thinks he over-inflated the tire and popped it. The road to TRY-A-TRI might be more bumpy than we originally anticipated! We need to bring our bikes in for a tune-up anyways so they can fix up my tire for me then.

My groin area is still quite sore after yesterday’s tumble, so I am going to continue to ice it today and see how it feels. All I wanted to do this morning was go outside for my workout so I am quite bummed that I am still sore. I have learned my lesson though; it is always best to listen to my body. Like my sports medicine doctor once told me, if you have pain it is your body’s way of telling you to STOP the movement until the pain goes away. It seems simple and obvious, but it was very hard for me to learn and put into practice…

Breakfast was new and a bit scary…

IMG 4275 thumb   Past My Comfort Zone

Yesterday, I spotted a wonderful spin-off of Vegan Overnight Oats over at Savvy Eats called Monster Overnight Oats! A hybrid of a Green Monster and Vegan Overnight Oats? Naturally, I was game.

IMG 4251 thumb   Past My Comfort Zone

Step 1: Blend up a Green Monster

I used:

• 1 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 of a large, ripe banana (Save other half for below)
  • 2-3 handfuls of spinach

BOOM:

IMG 4255 thumb   Past My Comfort Zone

Step 2: Mix in your ‘overnight oat’ ingredients…

I used:

• 1 tablespoon chia seeds
  • 1/3 cup regular oats
  • 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • Other half of the banana, cut into chunks

IMG 4258 thumb   Past My Comfort Zone

Dump said ingredients into the green monster…

IMG 4263 thumb   Past My Comfort Zone

They float!

IMG 4271 thumb   Past My Comfort Zone

Stir your little heart out. Now place in the fridge overnight.

IMG 4272 thumb   Past My Comfort Zone

Sleep.

Dream of rainbows, puppies, and shooting stars. ;)

Awake.

Yawn.

Think about breakfast experiment in the fridge.

Leap out of bed! Slowly get out of bed.

Look at experiment. Cringe.

IMG 4276 thumb   Past My Comfort Zone

I’ll be the first to admit that this looks gross…!!

But you know the saying, ‘Don’t judge a book by the cover’.

Try to prettify the scary bowl of green…

IMG 4277 thumb   Past My Comfort Zone

I drizzled a tablespoon of peanut butter over top and dove in!

IMG 4280 thumb   Past My Comfort Zone

It was actually really tasty, but I could not get over the whole clumpy green oats part of it. This was a bit past my comfort zone. I don’t mind drinking green in the morning (if it’s smooth), but I was not so sure about this. It really did taste good though… :)

I finished off this week’s episode of Gossip Girl as I ate. This show is the bee’s knees.

IMG 0307 thumb   Past My Comfort Zone

Today’s question- Do you consider yourself a texture person when it comes to food? Are there certain things you won’t eat because of the texture or appearance? What foods?

I actually didn’t know about ‘texture aversions’ until I met Eric. :) He is a huge texture person and he won’t eat several foods because of their texture alone. His examples include:

• Pulp in juice (he will drink pulp but doesn’t enjoy it!)
  • Oatmeal
  • Beans (he says ‘especially the canned beans in sauce!’)
  • Eggplant
  • Creamed potatoes (mashed is ok though)
  • Pumpkin pie filling (The horrors!!!)
  • Jell-O
  • Flaky pastries

My mother-in-law has quite a few texture aversions too. I got her hooked on chia seeds, BUT she really dislikes when chia seeds get wet + slimy! What my mother in law does is quite funny. She puts the dry chia seeds on a plate next to her cereal bowl and then she takes a spoon of chia and puts it in her mouth followed by a spoonful of cereal. She said this helps prevent the seeds from getting slimy and sticking to her teeth! I found this quite amusing! That is dedication. :)

As for me, I don’t really have many texture aversions aside from maybe things like mussels and other slimy sea things. I tried squid when I was young and I hated how rubbery it was. I also used to dislike onion rings and Tapioca pudding when I was little, but I’m not sure if I would feel the same now since I love cooked onions and I have grown to love chia seed pudding which looks a lot worse than Tapioca.

Updates:

Have a great day!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman April 14, 2010

You’re so right: Take it easy and don’t push yourself too soon. Take it from me. I’ve had an injury for too long and if I could build a car that travels back in time I’d tell myself to take more time healing. (And then I’d bet on a ton of winning lottery numbers.)

Kelly April 14, 2010

Oooh I dunno if I would be able to eat that, I think it would freak me out too.

Jessica @ How Sweet April 14, 2010

I am SO a texture person!!! I don’t really like a big crunch which is why I don’t like veggies – funny, tho, I love crunchy carbs! :)

Julie @savvyeats April 14, 2010

I know, the first time I made it I thought “why on earth did I think this would be a good idea?” So I closed my eyes for the first few bites, and once I realized it tasted good I opened them again. ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 14, 2010

I agree, as long as I wasn’t looking at it, I was fine! haha

Jenny April 14, 2010

There’s nothing like good TV and an even better breakfast!

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) April 14, 2010

Yea, that breakfast looks a little scary to me, too. I have a texture problem with cottage cheese. I wish I liked it but just looking at it completely turns my stomach. Ugh, curdled milk.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 14, 2010

I could never eat cottage cheese either!

Erin April 14, 2010

I have a real aversion to pineapple. I enjoy the flavor for the most part but cannot get past the texture. I can’t eat mushrooms because I used to step on them when I was little. They actually make me nauseous when thinking about them. Seedy fruits are hard for me too. But, often I like the flavor but not the texture. I guess I’m just weird. :)

katie@ Fab.Fit.Full. April 14, 2010

I used to have a problem with the chia seeds getting slimy in my milk too! Now I actually like when they get stuck to my teeth…is that weird? hahaha

Jamie in Arkansas April 14, 2010

My only texture aversion is shredded coconut. YUK! My hubby sounds like yours, though. He would rather starve than eat oatmeal. He actually gagged and spit it out! What’s wrong with this man??? Oatmeal is my favorite food group! Ha. Ha.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 14, 2010

Eric would not eat a bowl of oats if his life depended on it!

Jamie in Arkansas April 14, 2010

Roy said if he was starving and the only thing to eat was oatmeal, he would starve. Unbelievable!!!! I think he’s nuts. :) But I love him!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 14, 2010

hahah I just asked Eric and he agreed. Not surprised…

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg April 14, 2010

You know, thinking about it, I can’t think of any textures that really gross me out! I guess I’m more about taste than texture.

Elizabeth April 14, 2010

I don’t like anything chunky (hate chunks in mashed potatoes, pies, fruit in yogurt, etc). Texture is huge for me! I also dislike the texture of beans but know I should give them a try. :)

Interesting breakfast!!

Brittany April 14, 2010

Wow those green monster oats look intense. I’m definitely not a texture adverse person though – I actually like it. It gives a little chewy to smooth things. For instance I love chia pudding, smoothies with little bits of nuts or cacao, and yogurt with granola.

kalli@fitandfortysomething April 14, 2010

love how pretty your green monster looks….take it nice and slow with your training!

Janna ~ Just Flourishing April 14, 2010

I hope you feel better soon!

I know what you mean about how its hard to stop all movement when you get an injury or feel pain. It’s very very hard to do that for me.

I was training for a half-marathon and felt a lot pain in my hip during a long run, I kept going though… and low and behold, I ended up injuring myself. Just goes to show!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 14, 2010

That was me last year..before my pelvic injury!
I had pain before my 3 miler, and I ran anyways…then I was out for 2 months!

Rachel (Suburban Yogini) April 14, 2010

Tapioca freaks me out! It reminds me of frogspawn. Ewwww!!

Also I’m with Eric on pulp in juice. I do not like. I’m not conviced I could go with the Green oats either even though I have Green Monsters every day! Maybe I’ll try them.

You are the third blogger with tyre problems I’ve read about today!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 14, 2010

Great idea Angela!

Kate N. April 14, 2010

I can not get over the texture or look of most Indian food. I hate anything too smooth! Like pudding or plain yogurt. Oatmeal is on my texture limit, there have been many day where I made oatmeal too creamy that got tossed!

Therese April 14, 2010

Way to listen to your body! I don’t know how many times I’ve seen my best friend try and exercise through pain. Oye. She’s doing it now and I want to smack her! LOL

OH! I forgot to mention that I tried my FIRST Green Monster on Sunday and LOVED it! I even made my boyfriend drink it as he was hesitant when he saw GREEN pictures but he sucked the whole thing back! Thanks! :D

As for texture aversions? I have to agree that I HATE pulp, blech! I just don’t like things I have to chew in my drinks. I feel you should either drink it or eat it, not both. Hence why I’m not a fan of bubble tea or remember Orbitz drinks?! Blech!

There were a few textures when I lived in Japan that I was hesitant with at first but now don’t mind, mostly more chewier things like mochi. And now that I’m experimenting with running gels I’m finding I had a weird texture aversion with gels but am slowly coming around!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 14, 2010

Glad you liked it!!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin April 14, 2010

Haha wow that is a little scary looking but I’m sure it tasted good!

Danielle (Coffee Run) April 14, 2010

I think your oats look pretty! lol
I’m def. a teture person. I tried something called “yam cake” the other day (an Asian ingredient) and the texture was like firm jelly…yeahhh wasn’t feelin’ it :?

Molly (Fuel Her Up) April 14, 2010

Haha I love how yous pelled mussels “muscles” – at first I thought you meant meat! I agree though – totally slimy! (I actually don’t like meat either!)

I hate when my green monsters have “chunks” – if they’re not completely smooth and I have to chew on spinach!

I know Caitlin on HTP once said she didn’t like peanut butter on oats, but that’s my favorite texture in the world!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 14, 2010

haha so much for googling the spelling of words!!

Mellissa April 14, 2010

I have a ton of food texture issues- especially drinks with chunks of anything in them.

Cassie @ A Very Busy Mind April 14, 2010

My food texture aversion: creamy things. This used to apply to ALL things creamy (including yogurt and pudding), but now it’s more like whipped cream (bleh!) or the cream-like substance in Twinkies, Ding Dongs, etc.

Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle April 14, 2010

I have some random texture aversions like Jell-o, which makes me gag after I eat a few bites, and the same thing happens with bananas. I love adding banana to things (especially when it’s cooked) but not so much raw and just out of the peel. I really despise pulp in my juice too! Other than those three I can’t think of anything else though.

Lauren @ Eater not a runner April 14, 2010

That might freak me out a bit, I used to have serious texture issues, I HATED jello. Now I pretty much eat everything :-)

Ameena April 14, 2010

Don’t push yourself Angela! It isn’t worth it. Trust me, I know this firsthand!

I don’t like the texture of chia seeds, tapioca, flan, and lima beans. Totally random list, I know!

Kate April 14, 2010

I’m actually not a texture person and will honestly eat anything! However, there is one thing I can do without. When the boyfriend and I go get sushi we always get tako (octopus) which at the restaurant looks like a white rectangle and is absolutely delicious and refreshing!! So we bought fresh octopus at Whole Foods to try it ourselves, which was not quite the same! Once cooked it seriously resembled a baby octopus with the head and legs! I couldn’t even touch it! I’ll leave the pros to tackle that particular food from now on. ;)

Sana April 14, 2010

I can’t eat oranges, because I always choke on the skin. I am too impatient to chew it all out!

Kelly April 14, 2010

I have the same texture issue at times…it seems to come and go. I have just introduced chia seeds to my diet and I can see how they might be a bit odd at times regarding texture.
I am now following Glo Bars on Twitter…I still haven’t tried one of these bars and look forward to trying them soon. They look yummy!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 14, 2010

Kristen April 14, 2010

I actually crave certain textures…it is kind of strange. I’ll have a craving for something crunchy or something with the texture of a thick, dense cake or muffin.

Kailey (SnackFace) April 14, 2010

I just discovered that I really can’t stand portobello mushrooms. The texture is so gaggy! And before I stopped eating animals, I used to love shrimp. But now the thought of that tough, corpuscle-y texture is vom-inducing. Whoah, graphic much? Sorry!

Eunice April 14, 2010

I’m totally a texture person. Some of the textures that creep me out:

- pears
- jelly beans
- coconut
- and anything slimy

eliza April 14, 2010

How is Eric’s NO COKE plan working? He motivated me to stop chewing gum again (it gives me tummy aches, yet I still do it..)

I am on day 2!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 14, 2010

he’s doing great- recap coming soon!

Kelsey April 14, 2010

everytime i try to take a break from gossip girl.. it somehow pulls me back. *shakes fist* but it really is a great show to watch when enjoying a meal <3

nut April 14, 2010

that is an unusual breakfast!
its funny – i have worked with kids in past with strong aversions to textures…kids with ADHD and autism often have tendencies…for example, the clumpy texture of oats or the consistency of peanut butter can be disturbing or comforting. Interesting to consider.

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ April 14, 2010

Texture and the look of something can really make eating it hard, unless it tastes amazing. But sometimes you have to experiment and try new things.

Paige @ Running Around Normal April 14, 2010

I can’t stand the texture of tomatoes! I’ve never liked them, and thought my tastes would eventually change because I like so many veggies I used to not like now, but I just can’t take the texture of tomatoes!

Carolyn @ lovinlosing April 14, 2010

I’ve never been a big fan of crunchy things like onions or peppers, thought I’m slowly getting over it. I HATE anything like fat or gristl. Bleh!

Bella (Stilettos on the Streetcar) April 14, 2010

I’m not much of a texture people, but I’m all about how my food looks. In fact, I’m still afraid of the Green Monster! I know, I know. I need to give it a try, but I’m afraid it’ll taste, well, green.

Gina April 14, 2010

I have some texture aversions, most notably things like cream of wheat.

Page 1 of 3123»