Husband Blog Trivia

Happy Friday Night!

I had a proud moment this week that I forgot to tell you about!

I was really tempted to go tanning- yes tanning bed – before our vacation. I kept thinking, man my skin is so pale and would look better with a tan. I almost went this week…I was so close to going…and then I made myself re-read the Love Your Skin Movement. That was all I needed to kick myself in the butt for even thinking I needed a tanning bed!

I think women especially need constant reminders that it is OK to be PALE- or whatever colour you are supposed to be!!!

Whew that feels good to get out. :)

Dinner was what I like to call- Use Up As Much Food In The Fridge As Possible! ;)

IMG 2512 thumb   Husband Blog Trivia

Everything But The Kitchen Sink Salad

IMG 2511 thumb   Husband Blog Trivia

I also had a bowl of spaghetti because we had to use up a bottle of sauce!

IMG 2504 thumb   Husband Blog Trivia

Totally uncomfortably full right now. Volume food overload…oops.

IMG 2517 thumb   Husband Blog Trivia

It is time for another HNRU! This is starting to be one of my favourite ways to wind down the work week. I hope you enjoy some of my favourite health links from the past week.

Health News Round Up

Are Meaningful conversations the Key To Happiness? – NY Times

A Healthier Pot Pie- in a Skillet – Fat Free Vegan

Fuel Right- How To Avoid Crashing on Runs – Globe and Mail

5 Ways To Slow Down Your Meals – Fit Sugar

More reasons to get up an hour earlier – My Revolution

Another Quick and Easy Salad Dressing- Cayenne Tahini Dressing – Kristen’s Raw

10 Tips For Making Your Fries Crispier – Health Foodie

10 Celebrities Who Have Run A Marathon- and Their Finishing Times – That’s Fit

Are Female Hunger Levels Tied To the Monthly Cycle? – Kath Younger via Breathe

20 Minute Circuit Workout For Buff Brides – Fitness Magazine

~~~

I was telling Eric about our stay in Orlando (we are staying at Caitlin’s for two nights!) and Eric was asking about Caitlin’s husband. He goes, ‘Oh he is the baker, right?’ and I said, ‘No, that is Kath’s husband!’ lol…it was cute. It’s really funny because he can match up several bloggers to their blog names…I always joke that we should have a husband/boyfriend blog trivia show down.

Tonight’s question- how would your significant other (or whoever you talk blogs to in your life) do in a blog trivia? Do people in your life know much about the blogs you read each day? Do you talk to them about it?

Sometimes, I start telling people (like my hairdresser) about blogs…and I am always baffled when people tell me they didn’t even know food blogs existed! It’s hard to believe, but true. ;) I would guess maybe .05% of the population knows about food blogs.

My friend is coming over in a few minutes to do a manicure on my nails…very excited for this! I never paint my nails anymore being a baker and all, so it will be fun to have them done for a couple weeks. Not sure if I will have time to blog tomorrow morning…if not, see you in the Sunshine State!

Angela Signature thumb21   Husband Blog Trivia

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) March 19, 2010

It’s crazy when you talk about food blogs in the real world. Especially when you assume everyone knows about all the food bloggers’ lives. But no, you have to introduce them and give a 20 sec. summary of their lives before you can even continue your story.

That’s what makes blogger meet ups so fun! You don’t even have to update people on your day to day life.

I used to use a tanning bed every once in a while in high school but now I am afraid of sun spots and wrinkles. I don’t wanna look like I’m 50 when I’m 40. Not worth the color for a few weeks ya know?

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty March 19, 2010

Mine would totally know who I was talking about! haha.. I talk about a bunch of you guys lots!! :) My mom would know too, especially since reads most of the ones I do!! :)

Have a safe trip!

sarah (the SHU box) March 19, 2010

my husband would be GOOD. he reads over my shoulder all the time and has attended a few blogger gatherings :) i think a sig. other blog showdown would be awesome!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers March 19, 2010

My hubs would be totally lost. He doesn’t get it. He likes to tease me about it though :)

Meredith March 19, 2010

@Heather same for mine! He doesn’t understand.

That celebrity marathon article was interesting! Who knew Gordon Ramsay was a runner?

EaterNotARunner March 19, 2010

My boyfriend doesn’t really get it, but he puts up with me none the less ;-)

Have a great trip!

Annie March 19, 2010

I made a similar vow to myself a couple years ago – that I would love my skin for the color it is, not what society thinks it should be. You have such a healthy perspective on life! Love it!

Lee March 19, 2010

Every time I say something about a blogger, my fiance goes, “Is it Kath?”

April March 19, 2010

So glad to recently find your blog. I just decided this year that I’d treat my skin right and stop tanning. I’m fair skinned and I’m just supposed to be pale…and that’s ok. I love your recipes and your perspective! Have a great trip!

Angie (Losing It and Loving It) March 19, 2010

Your dinner looks amazing!

Kev, my hubby would do great in a blog trivia. We have been to some blog/business meet ups and remembers almost everyone we have met. Everyone in my life knows about my blog and that I read other blogs. It’s part of how I make a living working at home so it’s important that I share with any one I come in contact with if appropriate of course.

Enjoyed the link to the celebrity marathon run times. Hubby and I just signed up to run the Reggae Marathon (1/2 marathon run/walk for me) and I have no clue what a respectable time would be to finish it. I am not looking at time obviously since I just started running over 6 weeks ago for the first time in my life but come Dec. I should be much better off.

TanyaS March 19, 2010

I am amazed too that I haven’t met anyone else that knows about food blogs. I also laugh that so many of my conversations start with “On this blog I read…”

It reminds me of “This one time at band camp…”

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 19, 2010

I was totally thinking that about band camp too!

Jewel@fit-and-fabulous-jewel March 19, 2010

I am horrified that I used to use tanning beds in college and between that and the Florida sun am worried how wrinkly I will be when I am older.

I am so glad you decided not to do it! I just read an awful article on the dangers of it…I think in last month’s Shape magazine.

You are glowing with your skin color as is…be proud!

I think you and Trying To Heal Melissa are the only bloggers my husband could identify! You because of the Green Monsters he now drinks with me…and Melissa because he met her when she was picking up organic produce from me!

Have a safe trip!

Janet (Pantry Bites) March 19, 2010

Food blogging is great and it’s weird that only a small number of population knows about it. They’re great and full of information from every day people.

Cynthia (It All Changes) March 19, 2010

Hunni would do aweful. He does know about you because of your delicious vegan food we’ve tried and about Caitlin’s dogs because he loves to see the pictures. Other than that he just calls you my internet friends. :-)

MarathonVal March 19, 2010

Great job on NOT going to the tanning bed! My husband and I are going to Puerto Rica next weekend for a week, and I am going to get a spray tan before I go. I completely agree that it would be ideal if I loved my body 100% of the time, including when it is pale and doesn’t look the way I would like it to in some places, but in the meantime it makes ME feel better to get a fake, healthIER spray tan. If it makes me feel better about myself, I’m ok with that and think it’s worth it! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 19, 2010

I think spray tans are a good alternative for sho…I have had really bad experiences with them before!

Christina@Health-Foodie March 20, 2010

The first time I got a spray tan I thought I was going to die. Worst couple of minutes of my life! For some stupid reason I thought it would be different the second time around, I just had to practice holding my breath better… Boy, was I wrong. I did not know what was worse, the regret I felt or the cold chemicals that got shot at my body like a gun! Turns out, I can hold my breath for more than 3 minutes, just not when I am so freaking scared that I start gasping for air! Oh, never again! Is that what your experience was like?!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 20, 2010

haha I was referring mostly to the tan peeling off as the days went by (was not a fan of the unevenness), but now that you reminded me, the spray experience was pretty scary too,lol. I remember holding my breath and being scared to breathe.

Nicole @ Making Good Choices March 19, 2010

I was just thinking about doing the same thing since I am going to Costa Rica in alittle over a week. I thought about it and decided against it for the same reasons. It’s so not worth it! My husband would do okay, not great but not terrible. I talk about the blogs I read to him and he’s pretty good at remembering. Have a great trip!

Susan March 19, 2010

Sometimes I read blogs while eating my lunch at work, it’s a nice break, but one day my colleague said to me – “when ever I look over at you are looking at pictures of food”, bah ha ha. I guess she was right.
Angela, have you ever considered getting a “air filtered DHA free” spray tan? They can be expensive, I have done it twice, and wow did it ever leave my skin soft. With that said, I do however agree that whatever your natural skin colour is be light or dark or anywhere in between it is beautiful. We are who we are!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 19, 2010

hmmm i didnt know they had those kinds of spray tans…what is the DHA- the chemical? What else is in it?

Jane March 19, 2010

Make sure you check out the outlet malls when you go South…just back from the Waterloo Outlet in NY state and the deals were amazing…(up to 70% off)at Banana Republic, Gap and Old Navy. Lots of fitness stores too…like Adias, Champion, Nike.

Studies show that young women are getting skin cancer because of Tanning bed….can’t imagine dealing with cancer at 25 yikes!!! You’ll appreciate white, healthy skin later in life trust me.

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ March 19, 2010

Great use of the chickpeas

Lizzie March 19, 2010

My husband is pretty good at remembering who I am referring to with a particular blog, but also likes to pick on me about it (in a funny way, of course). He says, “But you’ve never met any of these people!” . . well, maybe not in person, but most of the blogs I read are updated daily and I get heaps of information from them, so I do feel like I know all these people!

Have a very fun time in FL!!

Katie March 19, 2010

Have fun on vacation!

I used to be a tanning bed addict. I try to much smarter now,but I think we all fall prey to the “tan is better” mentality. Good job on ignoring it!

Lindsey March 19, 2010

So funny! Just before I read this, I told the hubs, “gonna get online & check on ‘the blogs’!” Earlier this evening even, it was “You:Facebook::me:blogs” – LOL! Funny that you should mention it in your post after we were just talking about it tonight!
But no, I’m pretty vague – I usually give him facts with some details (“I read that…”) instead of saying “Angela”, “Kath”, “Tina”, etc. :-)

HAVE FUN IN THE SUN! (had to say it… we got SNOW today. Frowny.)

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) March 19, 2010

Definitely love your skin – I was just in Australia and was amazed at how many girls didn’t put on any sun cream because they “want to get a tan.” Of course all of the Aussies and any SMART person knows it’s essential especially in Oz because the sun is so strong there, but I just couldn’t believe it.

Nicole March 19, 2010

I am really loving the Health News Round Up!

I’d never read your Love Your Skin Movement post before. Very interesting! Though I tan fairly easily, I haven’t spent a significant amount of time in direct sunlight in the past few years (i.e. laying out in the sun in a swimsuit), and as a result, my skin tone is pretty light for what it can be. I am not overly pale by any means, but it amazes me that strangers (in professional settings!) think it is appropriate to comment on/joke about my complexion.

Jolene March 19, 2010

None of the people in my city have heard of food blogs!! My hubby would do pretty well I think :-)

TorontoGirloutWest March 19, 2010

Good for you for avoiding the temptation to fake and bake!! I say it’s all about embracing your naturally beautiful skin colour! 

maria March 20, 2010

My husband asks me daily if Tina has put up any new pics of Murphy. He loves that little guy since we can’t have our own yet!

Lindsay March 20, 2010

I am a total tanning bed ADDICT, I know that I might be hurting my skin, but I HATE how I look when I am not tan and I think that because I am trying to accept my body at the SIZE it is these days, I think I can tan for a couple years!! :)

Jen March 20, 2010

It’s not that you MIGHT be hurting your skin…you ARE hurting it, and you’re putting yourself at a huge risk for a totally preventable cancer. Why not try self tanners or spray tans? They won’t kill you and they’ll ensure that you have a long life to enjoy that body of yours!

Crystal March 20, 2010

My boyfriend thinks blogs are cool but he never updates his. He is an economist and has found it a bit difficult to find other econ blogs. ;)

However, my mom and brother would have no clue what a food blog was!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) March 20, 2010

It is REALLY funny how few people know about food blogs! I am so engrossed in them, sometimes I’m like, “What do you MEAN you don’t know about food blogs??” haha. But my boyfriend is good, he’s learning. He knows who is who, like when I went out to lunch with you guys, he was like “Angela is the baker who made me those cookies, right?” (from our anniversary last year). I was like, yes! You remembered! haha

xo
K

Kelly March 20, 2010

Lol my fiance definitely knows all about my blog friends, and probably gets sick of hearing about them haha.
Oh boy, have fun on your trip!

Jen Trinque March 20, 2010

My boyfriend might know a teensy bit about some of the bloggers, but I don’t talk about it that much. I love food blogs and reading about recipes, fitness, health, and body image stuff, but that is definitely low on his list of interests!

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear March 20, 2010

Your salad looked awesome :) I’ve never been to a tanning bed but I’ve had a few spray on tans, they’re fun!

Jen March 20, 2010

My husband and I used to go to the tanning salon before Caribbean holidays, but since he was diagnosed with melanoma last summer at the age of 33, we’ll never go back. I don’t think the tanning bed 100% caused his cancer as the mole he had removed always looked iffy, but it definitely didn’t help. Thank god the doctors were able to get all the cancer through surgery, and a lymph node removal showed it didn’t spread, but the huge scar on is back serves as a constant reminder that it’s just not worth it. It could easily have turned out a lot worse for us and I think my lucky stars every day that he’s still with me…I’ll take being pasty & pale over being a widow any day!

Jen March 20, 2010

Forgot to add – what’s Sketchie been up to these days? I haven’t seen him on your blog lately.

'Dee March 20, 2010

My husband would fail every trivia question except probably yours! In my house you are known as “Sketchie’s Mom” – LOL! He would pair that up right away with “Oh, that’s Angela, right? The one that makes you the bars?” :-)

Leah @ losing-2-win.blogspot.com March 20, 2010

Thanks for sharing all the articles! Always informative and so convenient to have them all in one spot!

Dana K March 20, 2010

A really great sunless tanning alternative that I use is “Tanagement” by Nature’s Path Organics. It’s paraben free, and I usually mix it with some moisturizer too to make it last longer..it’s a tad expensive but worth it for a nice “glow”!
I have bought it in the past from VitaCost, it has the best price that I’ve found so far! http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Gate-Tanagement-Self-Tanning-Creme
Have a fantastic trip, looking forward to seeing some Florida pictures! :)

Christine (The Raw Project) March 20, 2010

Great article list, so exciting about your vacation. I like getting MacGyver in the kitchen using what I have to put meals together and your creation looks great!

Since my blog is still pretty young, hubby is not too familiar with fellow bloggers (yet) and not quite the healthnut I am. :-)

Tracy March 20, 2010

I love your weekly article list – thank you for providing that! I hope you keep it up. Have a great trip!

Page 1 of 212»