Blogger Blind Date

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on March 7, 2010

Hello there!

Two for two this weekend for beautiful weather. It will be a shock to my system when we get more snow! Because, you just know we have not seen the last of it…

But…for now it is SPRING and we live it up! :mrgreen:

IMG_8709

We had a great meet-up in Toronto at a vegan restaurant called Fressen. I had never been before and I was dying to see how it compared to Fresh.

IMG_8676

I have a soft spot in my heart for indoor brick.

IMG_8673

IMG_8674

One of the things I like best about blogging is the opportunity to meet new people. The energy is just off the wall when you put a group of women with similar interests in a room together!

I like to compare blogger meet-ups to a BLIND DATE.

Firstly, WHAT DO I WEAR?

There is a little apprehension and a lot of excitement at the beginning of the meet ups.

Secondly, WHAT TO EXPECT?

Will the person be like I imagined?

Will they be nice?

Once the introductions are over and the nerves fade, the fun really starts.

We get loud. We laugh.

If the date goes well we make plans for future get togethers. We exchange numbers, emails, and blogs.

Meet my lovely BLIND DATES :mrgreen:

IMG_8664

Kristin, Kristen, Christina, Steph, Kelly, Nienke, Morgan, Alex, Julie, Haya, Karly, Jaclyn, Noelle! Some were previous blind dates that blossomed into a wonderful friendship. ;)

Christina, Steph, and Kelly:

IMG_8640

Karly and I:

IMG_8643

Lots of tea was ordered!

IMG_8639

I started off with some green tea and a green juice. I was a bit disappointed to find out that their juices were pre-made and you could not customize them. If you are paying $5 for a juice you want it made fresh, right?

IMG_8637 IMG_8633

Can you guess what I ordered?

IMG_8636

Clue: it wasn’t the following delicious looking dishes…

Sweet potato, coconut, and ginger soup:

IMG_8649

Pancakes with fresh fruit:

IMG_8647

Tofu scramble:

IMG_8662

If you guessed I ordered the avocado sandwich you are right! I think at least 6 of us ordered it. :) I am going to turn into an avocado.

IMG_8671

This sandwich was OFF. THE. HOOK. Creamy and rich, with a slight vinaigrette tang.

SEEDS!! Seeds make bread, don’t they? The more seeds and crunch the better.

IMG_8661

The sandwich included charred tempeh bacon (you can see it peeking out below). This was my first time trying tempeh and it was quite good. I could see how it could blend into just about any dish.

IMG_8666

Unfortunately, the roasted potatoes tasted old like they had just been warmed up under a heat lamp.

IMG_8653

IMG_8652

Overall, I thought Fressen was a good restaurant, but it was certainly no Fresh!

After brunch, some of us hit up Queen West for some shopping.

Urban Outfitters:

UrbanOufittersYonge2

[Source]

Urban Outfitters is FUN, KITSCHY, and HUGE.

IMG_8680

Signs of summer!

IMG_8682

They had these disgustingly cute bowls on sale and I took this as a sign from foodie heaven shining down on me. The cherry on top was this cute mug. Sickening, isn’t it?

IMG_1912 IMG_1897

I now have to host an oatmeal party. Or a banana soft serve party.

Look at all the people out running and biking along Lakeshore! Toronto is a very fit and active city.

IMG_8702

I was so tempted to join them and go for a run, but alas, today is a rest day. It is hard to take rest days on nice weather days, isn’t it? At least I did enjoy the sunshine with the ladies today. :)

I am currently plopped on the couch, living it up, and enjoying some banana soft serve while watching the Oscars.

My newest craze is adding chia seeds to banana soft serve. It makes it super thick!

IMG_1931

Have a lovely night!

Angela_Signature

Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. ~Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is March 7, 2010 at 9:48 pm

What a fun blogger meetup! That food looks amazing – loving the pancakes! YUM!

I can’t wait to try chia seed banana soft serve!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices March 7, 2010 at 9:49 pm

That is so fun! I wish I lived semi-close so I could attend one, but I think NY is a little far! Glad you all had a great time and that the company and the weather was wonderful!

Jil March 7, 2010 at 9:54 pm

That mug is toooo cute!! I might have to pick up one!! The meet up looks so fun!!

Rachael March 7, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Yay for blogger meet ups! I’ve met some bloggers before, but never any food bloggers. I think that would definitely be an awesome group to hang with.

M i s s (@mediterraneanmiss) March 7, 2010 at 9:55 pm

What an ~awesome~ day. It was so great to meet you!
Dinner soon.
x

Ashley March 7, 2010 at 9:56 pm

The meetup looks like so much fun. I get really angry with food disappointments when I’m out to eat, lol..especially because you’re paying good money at some of those places. Juice – $5 – it better be fresh! I love that you described the bowls + mug as “sickening..” hahaha I get really mad when I see cute plateware!! Crate + Barrel has new spring colors of their mini spoons..good thing they’re only $1.95!! :) It was SO nice out here today and I was stuck inside on my butt trying to heal my foot. GAH!

Angela March 7, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Wow – I’m drooling for avocados right now! I love that tea mug – too perfect

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty March 7, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Looks like you had SUCH a great time! I want to come to Toronto!! :)

PS. I TOTALLY called the avocado sandwich!! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2010 at 10:07 pm

niiiiiice :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2010 at 10:07 pm

You are the lucky winner of ONE HUNDRED ZILLION DOLLARS. :)

Runeatrepeat March 7, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Currently obsessed with banana soft serve too :) But I keep using up all my frozen naners on green monsters!

EaterNotARunner March 7, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Ok that avocado sandwich looks TOO good, I want the bread!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) March 7, 2010 at 10:11 pm

I love all of these photos you took!! I just had tempeh at a vegetarian restaurant last night and it was great!! It was just so so when I made it myself : /. I’ll have to play around with preparation.

I love seedy bread.

And yes, $5=choosing FRESH juice.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 7, 2010 at 10:14 pm

I never got to try Fressen while I was living in Toronto. It looks gooooood though!

It’s great that you guys had a nice blind date.

Also, I loved your last post on natural beauty products.

Run Sarah March 7, 2010 at 10:20 pm

What a fun meetup! The avocado and tempeh sandwich looks wonderful too, but ugh, reheated potatoes/hashbrowns are the worst!

Ameena March 7, 2010 at 10:39 pm

What a great meet up…Fressen looks really good but I do LOVE Fresh. I still remember my trip there in NOvember! What a great bunch of girls! You guys are all beautiful.

Julie @ Wearing Mascara March 7, 2010 at 10:51 pm

You totally summed up the emotions of meeting new bloggers! It’s always confusing and sometimes a little scary. I love doing it though because you’re right, they end in lasting friendships.

I also HATE when nice days fall on my rest days. It usually happens where I’ll be scheduled to run on a Sunday and on Saturday it’s beautiful and Sunday it isn’t. Oh well :-)

Katie March 7, 2010 at 10:52 pm

I totally called it on the avocado sandwich. I’d have gotten the same thing. I’ve been eating an avocado a day lately. Can’t get enough. And I always stay away from the home fries, because they always taste like they’ve been nuked. At least you got a good looking salad with it!

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad March 7, 2010 at 10:58 pm

I love reading about blogger meet ups! It looks like you ladies had so much fun. I hate taking rest days when it’s nice out! I usually squeek out the door for a short and slow run because I can’t contain the urge.

Lauren March 7, 2010 at 11:03 pm

I bet that restaurant and store didn’t know what hit them! I can’t wait until the day that I can finally be part of a blogger meet up; they just look so exciting!

Jolene March 7, 2010 at 11:26 pm

How fun!!!! I hope to meet up with some other bloggers someday!! I think I am going to go to the FoodBuzz Festival this year, so that may be the time!

When you meet up with other bloggers does anyone in the restaurant ever ask about why you are all taking pics of the food?? I have always wondered that.

When I am out, and the only one taking pics I get a few looks, but I can imagine it would be way different if EVERYONE at the table was taking photos!!

Angela (ohsheglows) March 8, 2010 at 8:03 am

The servers typically don’t say anything…which is strange because you’d think they would!

Lindsey @ Lean Bodies March 7, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Oh, that avocado sandwich sounds so good! I died laughing at how you compared the meet up to a blind date. I bet it would be pretty similar. How fun!

Danielle (Coffee Run) March 7, 2010 at 11:46 pm

I can’t wait to start having some blind dates (bloggers, of course) :)

I can’t believe that was the first time you’ve tried tempeh! It’s pretty versitile

Heather (Heather's Dish) March 7, 2010 at 11:53 pm

that’s quite the group! sounds like a fabulous meet-up :) i love the color in the sweet potato, coconut and ginger soup!

[email protected] March 7, 2010 at 11:57 pm

THat looks like an amazing blogger blind date! ps. urban is my FAVORITE store!

Kelsey March 7, 2010 at 11:57 pm

Hi Angela! I’ve been lurking around your blog for awhile now and I must tell you what an inspiration you’ve been to me on my journey towards a vegan lifestyle! I’m loving it!

Your blogger meet up looks wonderful and I can’t wait to experience one of my own sometime!

Janet (Pantry Bites) March 8, 2010 at 12:52 am

Vegan brunch looks great. Question- when and why did you switch over to a vegan lifestyle?

Angela (ohsheglows) March 8, 2010 at 8:05 am

Check it out: http://ohsheglows.com/2009/11/18/my-road-to-health-part-vi/ :)

Tracie @hollafoodzone March 8, 2010 at 1:04 am

The restaurant looks fantastic – and so does your sandwich! I laughed at your comment about having a soft spot for indoor brick – I feel the same!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 8, 2010 at 1:55 am

What a fun looking day!!! The food looks AWESOME!

Vera March 8, 2010 at 2:19 am

daaannng thats alot of blind dates, aha!
that restaurant looks amazing! I only wish
i had something like that
closer to where I live!

Have an amazing week,

xoxo Vera

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ March 8, 2010 at 7:01 am

That lunch looks so good, you go to the best restaurants.

Aoife - Adventures in Veg March 8, 2010 at 7:04 am

That looks like a fantastic meet up!! I called the avo sandwich too ;) hee! It’s so cool that so many people were at the blogger meet-up, can only imagine the energy was amazing.

That’s such a pity about the juice – $5 is a LOT for a juice that isn’t fresh. Tempeh is yum – I haven’t made it myself but had sweet chilli marinated tempeh and it was so lovely! I hated tempeh the first time I tried it though, heh!

Michelle March 8, 2010 at 7:46 am

That restaurant looks amazing! And a blogger meet up sounds like tons of fun!

Haleigh March 8, 2010 at 7:51 am

I have met so many amazing women through blogger meet ups and yes you are so right! It is like a blind date. I was so nervous to meet my first internet friend in person, haha I am glad to hear that you had such a great time! xoxo

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman March 8, 2010 at 8:00 am

Oh wow. That avocado sandwich looks awesome. I think I need to make that at home. That’s one heckuva blind date!

Jennie {in Wonderland} March 8, 2010 at 8:10 am

That avocado sandwich looks amazing… it’s got me thinking about maybe mashing some avocado with red wine vinegar and slapping it on flatbreads. I looooove avocado! And to think I used to hate it!

Urban Outfitters makes me LOL… they always have the best products! I once found a sleep mask that said ‘F*ck Off’, which perfectly captures my ‘morning mood’, or so my bf says. They also have such cute yellow rain boots and amazing kitschy products. I could shop in there all day! But I would come out poor, as they’re super expensive.

Kate March 8, 2010 at 8:12 am

a)if you’re in Torronto so much, you should go to LUSH for natural cosmetics with limited packaging. (making your own is good too, but for somethings it doesn’t work like shampoo!) i suggest it. i believe there is one on queen west.
b) just an observation, that i don’t think you will feel comfortable affirming, denying, or commenting on, but i noticed that all these women are caucasian! do you think vegan/healthy food blogging runs in this type of group of women?
c) I totally agree, if you’re paying that much for juice it should be fresh.

Molly March 8, 2010 at 8:15 am

Hey!

Everything looks too good!

However, I think Fressen is a very odd name for a restaurant with a slow food philosophy. It means “to devour” in German :)

Kira March 8, 2010 at 8:24 am

The Picard quote made this for me. What a great way to start my day! Thanks for the healthy-Trekkie-gasm!

Emmanuelle March 8, 2010 at 8:34 am

Mmmmmh that avocado sandwich, that’s what I would have ordered. And I too love indoor bricks!
Gosh sometimes I wish I lived in Canada or the US, you guys seem to have all kinds of nice restaurants and healthy food stores that I can’t find here :-(

mountain girl March 8, 2010 at 8:35 am

I don’t eat much soy, but tempeh is my occasional treat…I LOVE it! Last week I had it marinated in organic barbecue sauce, lol! It was actually really delish. Most of the time I have elaborate recipes for it in mind, but it doesn’t make it that far, as I often devour it cold and raw…haha. My favorite is the 5-grain kind. BTW, the banana soft-serve looks awesome!

Nicole- Chasing Blue March 8, 2010 at 8:39 am

That avocado sandwich looks so amazing. I want to make one right now. So creamy and good for you!

It looks like you guys all had a great time.

In Orlando there is a great place called Greens and Grille you should try out. When I visited there my friend took me and it was awesome.

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) March 8, 2010 at 8:55 am

I had such a fun meetup with you! LOVED the avo sandwich- to die for!!

One little thing… my URL is spelt wrong in the names- it’s kristinsnibbles.wordpress.com. Oh, well!

Hope to meet up again soon!

xo
Kris

Angela (ohsheglows) March 8, 2010 at 9:14 am

Oopsie..its fixed!

Heather (Where's the Beach) March 8, 2010 at 8:57 am

Oh how fun! There are several blogger pals I’d love to meet!

nelly March 8, 2010 at 9:20 am

hey angela…i am so happy you girls had an awesome time…sorry i missed another meet-up, but i had a wake and a funeral i needed to attend this weekend…

i don’t think there is any place out there that will ever compare to fresh!

take care…

=)

Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 8, 2010 at 9:32 am

That sounds like so much fun!!! The sandwich also looks amazing…

Nienke at Revel March 8, 2010 at 9:33 am

Hey Angela – thanks for organizing the meet-up!! It was awesome meeting you and all the other ladies!

Can’t wait for the next one :)

nienke

oh yes – and thanks for the cookies, I kinda ate them on my way home because I couldn’t wait… Yum!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers March 8, 2010 at 10:12 am

Wow that restaurant sounds devine!! I love yummy sandwiches that I wouldn’t be able to make at home :)

Veggielady4life March 8, 2010 at 10:19 am

I have been reading your site for several months, and I have not left a comment yet… but I wanted to tell you that I love your blog! I have recently added you to my own Blogroll… and I look forward to future posts. By the way… your blog meeting looks soo fun!!

Ricki March 8, 2010 at 10:21 am

Looks like it was a great “date”! Hope to be there next time. . . ! :)

Carrie @ Love Healthy Living March 8, 2010 at 11:41 am

That sandwich looks amazing!!!

Bronwyn March 8, 2010 at 12:06 pm

That sandwhich looks delicious. I want one now. I’ve been a bit advocado crazy lately.

Midwestchicadee March 8, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Angela – where do you find those darling ceramic spoons you use? They make every dish look uber fancy and lovely! I can’t find them!!!!!!

Angela (ohsheglows) March 8, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Crate and Barrel :)

Noelle March 8, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I had a greta and wonderful time getting to know and meet you Angela! I was fun to meet other women with the same nterests and desires.Thanks for putting this together!

skinnyrunner March 8, 2010 at 2:10 pm

looks like a fun day! and that avocado sandwich looks amazing!!! im so hungry now.

Kristilyn (My 29th Year) March 8, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I wish I lived closer to some of my favourite bloggers so I could participate in a meet up – it looks like a lot of fun!

I’m sure that avocado sandwich was to-die-for! My husband asked me the other day, “So you still like those things?” when I was cutting up an avocado for a salad.

Uh … yeah?

That sucks about the potatoes, though – I hate it when food tastes like it’s been under a heat lamp!

K

jessica March 8, 2010 at 2:43 pm

You look so pretty Angela! And that tempeh avocado sandwich sounds KILLER. Sooo craving some of that right now.

And I also love Urban. Favorite clothing store ever!!!

Ma-ta March 8, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Amazing weekend, I think spring might actually be here in Toronto. Just have to see the first robin of spring to be sure…

Also, Toms of Maine Apricot Toothpast is natural and awesome. A good change from all the mintiness.

Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition March 8, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Blogger meet ups look like so much fun! I want to organize one for my NYC bloggers. Always great to meet people who are passionate about the same thing that I am.

xo

Jocelyn

Paige @ Running Around Normal March 8, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Love the comparison to a blind date! There are SO many Toronto bloggers! Wow! Sounds like such a fun time :)

Rachel @ No Preservatives Added March 8, 2010 at 4:57 pm

That sammie looks delicious! I might have to try something like it one day soon.

And yes, a $5 juice should definately be made fresh. What were those people thinking?!

Bethany (Blessed and Inspired) March 8, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Adore that mug!!

Kelly March 8, 2010 at 5:28 pm

It looks like it was just as beautiful up there as it was here this weekend! I hope to get to visit Toronto at some point soon.

I think it’s so sweet that you remembered all the names and blogs (or took the time to write them down haha) of all of those people you met this weekend. I think you are one of the “big bloggers” that really makes an effort to help out everyone in the blog community and get to know everyone. I’m sure you’d be an awesome person to meet!

Carla Shorts March 8, 2010 at 6:01 pm

I wanted to let you know that my sister and I tried your banana soft serve as I have just aquired a food processor. AMAZING! We are both fro-yo-aholics, so this was a very satisfying treat for both of us! Thanks for the idea!

Angela (ohsheglows) March 8, 2010 at 6:28 pm

haha it’s Gena’s soft serve actually but I am so happy to hard you enjoyed it!! I have it for a snack every night lately. Totally kills my sweet tooth.

Katrina M March 8, 2010 at 6:07 pm

i hear you about the rest days…. it was SO beautiful outside yesterday and i wanted to go for a run so bad, but it was a REST DAY…. so i went this morning instead which was equally as nice. but it was still hard!!

and i TOTALLY guessed the avocado sandwich, yay me! hahaha

Dominique March 9, 2010 at 1:27 am

Oh Fressen–just the place I was mentioning the other day. I’ve never actually eaten from their brunch menu but from the looks of it, I’ll definitely have to check it out. Fressen usually has an apple ginger juice that is amazing and I normally hate ginger. For some reason it makes me nauseous, despite claims that it’s supposed to aid nausea.

And now I NEED those bowls and that mug for my tea. I’ll be downtown with the BF on Wednesday…hmmm…maybe I can convince him to drop by UO since I think we’ll be in the area for a concert.