Blogger Blind Date

Hello there!

Two for two this weekend for beautiful weather. It will be a shock to my system when we get more snow! Because, you just know we have not seen the last of it…

But…for now it is SPRING and we live it up! :mrgreen:

IMG_8709

We had a great meet-up in Toronto at a vegan restaurant called Fressen. I had never been before and I was dying to see how it compared to Fresh.

IMG_8676

I have a soft spot in my heart for indoor brick.

IMG_8673

IMG_8674

One of the things I like best about blogging is the opportunity to meet new people. The energy is just off the wall when you put a group of women with similar interests in a room together!

I like to compare blogger meet-ups to a BLIND DATE.

Firstly, WHAT DO I WEAR?

There is a little apprehension and a lot of excitement at the beginning of the meet ups.

Secondly, WHAT TO EXPECT?

Will the person be like I imagined?

Will they be nice?

Once the introductions are over and the nerves fade, the fun really starts.

We get loud. We laugh.

If the date goes well we make plans for future get togethers. We exchange numbers, emails, and blogs.

Meet my lovely BLIND DATES :mrgreen:

IMG_8664

Kristin, Kristen, Christina, Steph, Kelly, Nienke, Morgan, Alex, Julie, Haya, Karly, Jaclyn, Noelle! Some were previous blind dates that blossomed into a wonderful friendship. ;)

Christina, Steph, and Kelly:

IMG_8640

Karly and I:

IMG_8643

Lots of tea was ordered!

IMG_8639

I started off with some green tea and a green juice. I was a bit disappointed to find out that their juices were pre-made and you could not customize them. If you are paying $5 for a juice you want it made fresh, right?

IMG_8637 IMG_8633

Can you guess what I ordered?

IMG_8636

Clue: it wasn’t the following delicious looking dishes…

Sweet potato, coconut, and ginger soup:

IMG_8649

Pancakes with fresh fruit:

IMG_8647

Tofu scramble:

IMG_8662

If you guessed I ordered the avocado sandwich you are right! I think at least 6 of us ordered it. :) I am going to turn into an avocado.

IMG_8671

This sandwich was OFF. THE. HOOK. Creamy and rich, with a slight vinaigrette tang.

SEEDS!! Seeds make bread, don’t they? The more seeds and crunch the better.

IMG_8661

The sandwich included charred tempeh bacon (you can see it peeking out below). This was my first time trying tempeh and it was quite good. I could see how it could blend into just about any dish.

IMG_8666

Unfortunately, the roasted potatoes tasted old like they had just been warmed up under a heat lamp.

IMG_8653

IMG_8652

Overall, I thought Fressen was a good restaurant, but it was certainly no Fresh!

After brunch, some of us hit up Queen West for some shopping.

Urban Outfitters:

UrbanOufittersYonge2

[Source]

Urban Outfitters is FUN, KITSCHY, and HUGE.

IMG_8680

Signs of summer!

IMG_8682

They had these disgustingly cute bowls on sale and I took this as a sign from foodie heaven shining down on me. The cherry on top was this cute mug. Sickening, isn’t it?

IMG_1912 IMG_1897

I now have to host an oatmeal party. Or a banana soft serve party.

Look at all the people out running and biking along Lakeshore! Toronto is a very fit and active city.

IMG_8702

I was so tempted to join them and go for a run, but alas, today is a rest day. It is hard to take rest days on nice weather days, isn’t it? At least I did enjoy the sunshine with the ladies today. :)

I am currently plopped on the couch, living it up, and enjoying some banana soft serve while watching the Oscars.

My newest craze is adding chia seeds to banana soft serve. It makes it super thick!

IMG_1931

Have a lovely night!

Angela_Signature

Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. ~Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Page 2 of 2«12
Dominique March 9, 2010

Oh Fressen–just the place I was mentioning the other day. I’ve never actually eaten from their brunch menu but from the looks of it, I’ll definitely have to check it out. Fressen usually has an apple ginger juice that is amazing and I normally hate ginger. For some reason it makes me nauseous, despite claims that it’s supposed to aid nausea.

And now I NEED those bowls and that mug for my tea. I’ll be downtown with the BF on Wednesday…hmmm…maybe I can convince him to drop by UO since I think we’ll be in the area for a concert.

Katrina M March 8, 2010

i hear you about the rest days…. it was SO beautiful outside yesterday and i wanted to go for a run so bad, but it was a REST DAY…. so i went this morning instead which was equally as nice. but it was still hard!!

and i TOTALLY guessed the avocado sandwich, yay me! hahaha

Carla Shorts March 8, 2010

I wanted to let you know that my sister and I tried your banana soft serve as I have just aquired a food processor. AMAZING! We are both fro-yo-aholics, so this was a very satisfying treat for both of us! Thanks for the idea!

Angela (ohsheglows) March 8, 2010

haha it’s Gena’s soft serve actually but I am so happy to hard you enjoyed it!! I have it for a snack every night lately. Totally kills my sweet tooth.

Kelly March 8, 2010

It looks like it was just as beautiful up there as it was here this weekend! I hope to get to visit Toronto at some point soon.

I think it’s so sweet that you remembered all the names and blogs (or took the time to write them down haha) of all of those people you met this weekend. I think you are one of the “big bloggers” that really makes an effort to help out everyone in the blog community and get to know everyone. I’m sure you’d be an awesome person to meet!

Bethany (Blessed and Inspired) March 8, 2010

Adore that mug!!

Rachel @ No Preservatives Added March 8, 2010

That sammie looks delicious! I might have to try something like it one day soon.

And yes, a $5 juice should definately be made fresh. What were those people thinking?!

Paige @ Running Around Normal March 8, 2010

Love the comparison to a blind date! There are SO many Toronto bloggers! Wow! Sounds like such a fun time :)

Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition March 8, 2010

Blogger meet ups look like so much fun! I want to organize one for my NYC bloggers. Always great to meet people who are passionate about the same thing that I am.

xo

Jocelyn

Ma-ta March 8, 2010

Amazing weekend, I think spring might actually be here in Toronto. Just have to see the first robin of spring to be sure…

Also, Toms of Maine Apricot Toothpast is natural and awesome. A good change from all the mintiness.

jessica March 8, 2010

You look so pretty Angela! And that tempeh avocado sandwich sounds KILLER. Sooo craving some of that right now.

And I also love Urban. Favorite clothing store ever!!!

Kristilyn (My 29th Year) March 8, 2010

I wish I lived closer to some of my favourite bloggers so I could participate in a meet up – it looks like a lot of fun!

I’m sure that avocado sandwich was to-die-for! My husband asked me the other day, “So you still like those things?” when I was cutting up an avocado for a salad.

Uh … yeah?

That sucks about the potatoes, though – I hate it when food tastes like it’s been under a heat lamp!

K

skinnyrunner March 8, 2010

looks like a fun day! and that avocado sandwich looks amazing!!! im so hungry now.

Noelle March 8, 2010

I had a greta and wonderful time getting to know and meet you Angela! I was fun to meet other women with the same nterests and desires.Thanks for putting this together!

Midwestchicadee March 8, 2010

Angela – where do you find those darling ceramic spoons you use? They make every dish look uber fancy and lovely! I can’t find them!!!!!!

Angela (ohsheglows) March 8, 2010

Crate and Barrel :)

Bronwyn March 8, 2010

That sandwhich looks delicious. I want one now. I’ve been a bit advocado crazy lately.

Carrie @ Love Healthy Living March 8, 2010

That sandwich looks amazing!!!

Ricki March 8, 2010

Looks like it was a great “date”! Hope to be there next time. . . ! :)

Veggielady4life March 8, 2010

I have been reading your site for several months, and I have not left a comment yet… but I wanted to tell you that I love your blog! I have recently added you to my own Blogroll… and I look forward to future posts. By the way… your blog meeting looks soo fun!!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers March 8, 2010

Wow that restaurant sounds devine!! I love yummy sandwiches that I wouldn’t be able to make at home :)

Nienke at Revel March 8, 2010

Hey Angela – thanks for organizing the meet-up!! It was awesome meeting you and all the other ladies!

Can’t wait for the next one :)

nienke

oh yes – and thanks for the cookies, I kinda ate them on my way home because I couldn’t wait… Yum!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 8, 2010

That sounds like so much fun!!! The sandwich also looks amazing…

nelly March 8, 2010

hey angela…i am so happy you girls had an awesome time…sorry i missed another meet-up, but i had a wake and a funeral i needed to attend this weekend…

i don’t think there is any place out there that will ever compare to fresh!

take care…

=)

Heather (Where's the Beach) March 8, 2010

Oh how fun! There are several blogger pals I’d love to meet!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) March 8, 2010

I had such a fun meetup with you! LOVED the avo sandwich- to die for!!

One little thing… my URL is spelt wrong in the names- it’s kristinsnibbles.wordpress.com. Oh, well!

Hope to meet up again soon!

xo