Health News Round Up: Take 3

Happy Friday!

Wasn’t The Office hilarious last night? Definitely one of the best episodes of all time.

It is Beeee-u-tiful outside today in Southern Ontario! What a mood booster. :) I am hoping to get outside today for a run on my lunch break. Spring is on its’ way!!

I had this great Purple Monster for breakfast:

IMG_1608

It included: Spinach, hemp milk, Manitoba Harvest Hemp Protein powder, Amazing Grass Wheatgrass, BEET, frozen banana, tsp maca, ice.

Strength Vs. Cardio:

Yesterday I decided to do my strength workout before my run. I was inspired by our conversation the other day about benefits of doing strength training first or cardio first.

The majority of you thought that you should train first what you want to work on the most. So if I am training for a half marathon, I should run first and ensure that I can run strong.

After thinking about it some more, I decided that variety is best for me right now. Why not mix it up? Some workouts I will run first and some workouts I will strength train first. I think that will keep my body challenged and always guessing.  Mind you, I often don’t do both on the same day, but occasionally I do (maybe once a week?).

I also probably wouldn’t strength train on a day that I had scheduled a difficult speed work session. I think that is setting my body up for injury.

Yesterday I decided to try my strength training first and see how I did on my run afterwards. I always used to do my run first and then strength second so this was going to be a challenge for me…

The Strength:

I did the Booty Camp Fitness DVD Advanced level which is a 55 minute full body workout. It includes a warm-up, stretching, leg workout, arm workout, core workout, plyometrics, and a cool-down + stretching. It whoops my booty. After the video I was doubtful if I was going to be able to run, but I was actually surprised once I got going. I decided to start off the run at a really easy pace and see how I felt.

IMG_8546 The run:

Mile 1: 6 mph, incline 1% (I felt great so I upped the speed to make it more challenging)

Water break

Mile 2: 7 mph, incline 1%

Water break

Mile 3: 7.5-8.5 mph, incline 1% (very hard mile)

Total time: 26:34

I actually felt pretty loose and my muscles felt much warmer than they do when I normally start a run. I think this is a sign that I need to warm-up longer when I do cardio first!

Another option is to strength train only my arms on run days.

Health News Round-Up

It has been a while since I did a Health News Round-Up! Months, in fact. I thought I would bring it back as a weekly feature to the blog.

Here are some health related posts that I enjoyed reading this week:

What were some of your favourite stories, articles, or posts this week?

I’m off for a very busy day of work. I hope you have a wonderful end to your week!

Angela_Signature

Insist on yourself. Never imitate.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 Christina@Health-Foodie March 5, 2010

Wow! Thank you so much for the link! I did not know you read my blog… I feel honored. haha :)

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 5, 2010

your blog is fab! :)

3 Jessica @ How Sweet March 5, 2010

The office was HILARIOUS!! Loved it! :)

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 5, 2010

how funny was pam taking the wrong baby?!?!

5 Carolyn March 5, 2010

Glad you liked my recommendation of the NYT article about indoor vs. outdoor training. :) It only confirmed for me what I knew intiutively.

6 Heather (Where's the Beach) March 5, 2010

I go back and forth about cardio before weights or weights before cardio. Sometimes I need the cardio (or feel like I do) to get energized enough to do the weights. I think it’s about listening to your body too. It’s not as hard to do cardio before an upper body workout. I know that if I do legs first, then the cardio needs to either be a short burn it all out HIIT workout or something like an easy, steady run.

7 Jenn @ Livewellfit March 5, 2010

Such cool finds- thanks for sharing!!

I love the magazine Body + Soul and I checked out their website this week and did some reading on seasonal winter foods. Some very fun ideas in here!

8 katherine March 5, 2010

Glad you found the strength training didn’t make you sacrifice energy during your run! Since I’m usually so crunched for time, I only do one or the other. Though, oh how I would LOVE to be able to do an hour of strength and then go for a 3 mile run. Sounds fabulous!

9 Sarah @ THE FOODIE DIARIES March 5, 2010

Yes! I’ve missed your health news round ups! I’ve been so bad at keeping up with food/nutrition news (and, uh, world news, too haha) lately so I can’t wait to look through your faves.

10 Sophie @ yumventures March 5, 2010

I loved the Office too! That episode and Pam and Jim’s wedding are two of my top favorites! Great treadmill run, you are such a speed demon =)

11 Katie @ Health for the Whole Self March 5, 2010

“Another option is to strength train only my arms on run days.”

This is what I do. If I try to work my lower body and then run, my legs tend to feel like bricks!

12 Suzanne March 5, 2010

Thanks for the health news! It was very informative! It looks like I missed your post yesterday so I didn’t weigh in :P I always do my strength training first if I’m doing both strength and cardio. It takes 15 minutes before your body starts burning fat. Until that point you’re burning carbs (or worse, muscle). So, by doing strength training first, you are setting yourself up to retain muscle mass and burn fat during cardio. Then again, on long run days I don’t strength train and only do my runs (like you said, to prevent injury and because my main goal is to increase my endurance) so it all depends on what you want out of your workout.

13 Angela March 5, 2010

I loved this post this morning on Joyous Health about the colour of poop!!

14 Michelle March 5, 2010

Hmmm thank you for trying out the working out before running plan. So…from your results, do you think I can assume that if I wanted to work on my legs without being over-fatigued, I should do weights AFTER cardio? I kinda enjoy winding down with some weights after a sweaty run…is that…not so good?

And thank you for those links! I got a chance to check out some awesome blogs and posts. You’re the best Ange!!

15 Angela (ohsheglows) March 5, 2010

I don’t think there is one right answer to this. It really is an individual thing and it will likely also vary day by day according to how your body feels. Just take it as it comes and play around with it until you know how you feel. :)

16 Steph (@mediterraneanmiss) March 5, 2010

Thanks for those links Ange! I really love finding new blogs.
Yesterday I tried working out early in the morning (6:00 a.m) with strength training, then coming back to the gym after work (6:00p.m) and doing a cardio workout. I ~think~ that it made my run a little less enjoyable. My legs and bum were really tight and didn’t loosen up the way I’m used to. Next time I’ll try the reverse – I’ll let you know how that works!

17 Paige @ Running Around Normal March 5, 2010

Wow! That was one fast run, and one hard core strength workout!
And I definitely agree with not doing lower body strength training on run days – or at least hard run days. If i’m just going to run 3 miles at an easy pace (for all three miles) lower body work usually doesn’t affect the run much, and vice versa.
Thanks for all those links! You’re awesome :)

18 Jocelyn March 5, 2010

Thanks for the great links!!

19 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 5, 2010

Great articles, I will have to check those out!!

I always did my strength after I ran.. girl you rock! I can’t imagine running after a big strength training session. I can hardly move sometimes!

20 Ameena March 5, 2010

That is one hardcore workout! Love the picture of you running, I wish I looked half as good during my workouts!

21 kalli@fitandfortysomething March 5, 2010

I love reading Milemarkers from Kristin Armstrong on Runners world!

22 Ashley March 5, 2010

Heck yah to the “month without monsanto” blog! The food company that I’m writing for did an interview with her. It’s such an interesting challenge and really eye opening! Ummm the office was AWEsome..Dwight cracked me up a LOT and yeah it was just all around funnnnnneeeee ;) Have a great weekend!

23 Ashley March 5, 2010

p.s. you look WAY too good while working out!! :)

24 Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 5, 2010

Wow what a great workout!

I liked this article on Slate: http://www.slate.com/id/2244249/

25 Angela @ A Healthy Fit March 5, 2010

Hey there! I did part of my run first today, strenth trained, and then did the rest of my run. The run after ST was glorious! My knees felt like they could keep going forever. Of course, I didn’t push it…don’t want that pain creepin’ in on me. ;)

26 Sarah March 5, 2010

I’ve always read that you should strength train before cardio so your muscles are less exhausted and you can lift with better form. However, I’ve always been nervous that I won’t have energy to do cardio afterwards (I’m a cardio junkie) but you’ve inspired me to try strength training first!

PS Thanks for the email response earlier this week. I had missed a couple of your posts and all were very informative and helpful. Thank you SO much for being so inspirational :)

27 Lauren March 5, 2010

I’ve been thinking about what I’ve read on running and strength training ever since you asked about it the other day, and after a lot of pondering, I’m pretty sure that one article I read on it talked about how running depletes the glycogen in your muscles and would make it harder to strength train after. I dunno, I try to not to do both on the same day because I’m kind of lazy. ;)

28 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman March 5, 2010

You look so happy running. I’d look more like, “Is this over yet??” Last time I strength trained first I felt so much more sore the next day than when I do cardio first. I have no idea why that is. Thanks for the great health link roundup.

29 Angela (ohsheglows) March 5, 2010

Ever since my injury last year (I was off exercise for 2 months), I really appreciate being able to run…if that makes any sense. I am just happy when I can run injury free! :)

30 Heather (Heather's Dish) March 5, 2010

that’s funny, these are all posts i read and loved this week too! i really enjoyed the office last night as well…it kinda made me want to have a baby more than usual :) mainly because jim was so cute and i can totally imagine my husband being that adorable and more :)

31 Danielle (Coffee Run) March 5, 2010

I loved the birth control question on HTP! I may or may not have read all the comments…

I’m always really sore if I try to strength train before I run. I like the advice of doing arms!

32 Jil March 5, 2010

The Office was amaaaaazing!!!!

33 La March 5, 2010

Thanks for all the cool links! I’ve read some of these but I’ll get to the rest now :)

34 Astrid March 5, 2010

Hi Angela! Great links and great issues to bring up.
I would love it if you stopped by my blog and read the question I posted in my most recent post. It’s about how the relationships we were exposed to growing up affects our expectations in our relationships now. I thought you might be interested, because part of being healthy includes healthy relationships. Also, I would love to hear more about your opinions on the matter.
Have a great day! You are amazing!

35 Gina March 5, 2010

Oh my gosh, when Pam fed the wrong baby I thought I was going to pee my pants!

I’ve been having purple monsters lately with frozen mixed berries (blueberry, raspberry and boysenberry) Yum!

36 Jolene March 5, 2010

Ooooh I haven’t seen the office yet … we were going to wait and just buy it when it comes out. Now I wish we had just PVRd instead!

37 Katie March 5, 2010

I still like weights first, for the stretching aspect you mention. I never warm up enough first otherwise!

38 Mo March 5, 2010

I love that your run at a “really easy pace” was 6mph, 7mph, 7.5-8.5mhp! Overachiever!

I say that in the most admiring tone of voice! :-D

39 Angela (ohsheglows) March 5, 2010

hehe…no I meant 6.0 mph is an easy mile for me…the 7-8.5 were NOT easy miles. ;)

40 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 5, 2010

I found this interesting: Hard vs. Easy Training.

“If one makes the easy days easy, the hard days can be hard. And race fitness improves. If, on the other hand, easy becomes moderate then hard also becomes moderate. And there is little progress.”

41 Alyson @ Nourished Fitness March 5, 2010

Sounds like a great workout! And being able to push thru a run after lifting will make your running even stronger :)

42 Holly B March 5, 2010

Thanks for the links! Some interesting reads. Summer Tomato does a great weekly link round-up as well- check it out.

43 Catherine March 5, 2010

Excellent links! I had read the NYTimes articles on the way to work the other day and found them really interesting as well, in addition to the birth control debate at healthy tipping point. I found the article in the NYTimes about how small changes don’t necessarily mean weight loss interesting as well… yes, it doesn’t speak to all cases, but it was just insightful in the way that it shows how people tend to not really change their overall habits so while they might eat one less cookie, they might have a bigger lunch that day or exercise less.

44 Ami March 5, 2010

I am also a cardio junkie. I usually like to get my run in first and then depending on how much time I have, do my strength workout. I find running after doing legs very difficult, but it really kicks your butt!

Something you should try is cardio and strength intervals. I’ll warm up for 1 mile on the treadmill, then do like 1 round of legs. Get back on for 1 mile, then another round of legs, etc. Usually I’ll begin and end with the run as warmup/cooldown. You can do as many rounds as you want, and this workout flies by!!

45 nicole (MyHealthyBites) March 5, 2010

I always find myself hitting the treadmill first, I feel like if I do weights before, I might be tempted to not work as hard during my run. And since I like weight training better, I kind of look at doing cardio first as “getting it out of the way.” But I’m slowing learning to like it more, and I appreciate the challenge :)

46 Joelle (The Pancake Girl) March 5, 2010

Haha I love that treadmill pic- that’s pretty much what I look like at the gym running!

I do agree about strength training prior to cardio, although I never, ever do it in that order haha. I really need to strength train more, methinks.

47 Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ March 5, 2010

You look great on the treadmill. Cute pic :)

48 Heather March 5, 2010

sounds like a great workout good job!

49 Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) March 5, 2010

What a beautiful picture of that purple monster! I love purple, it is definitely my favourite colour. Where do you get Manitoba Harvest Hemp Protein? At a super market, health food store, etc? I would like to find it but I have such a hard time finding good protein powders in Canada!

Great workout, and thanks for that awesome list of articles! I will be sure to check them out.

I strength train after cardio, because I feel my body is “loosened” that way, and sometimes I feel stiff if I strength train before cardio. But that is just me =D

xo
K

50 Kristilyn (My 29th Year) March 5, 2010

Whenever I have a run day, I’ll get up at 5:30 (this is a workday) and run. I think not being warmed up it why I hate running at that time. On the weekend, I get up and have breakfast, get dressed, and then run. I always feel so much more warmed up on those days!

Your time is looking great!

K

51 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] March 6, 2010

Thanks for the Health-News Round Up – looking forward to more.

Just curious if you’ve had a moment to create the blogroll you mentioned about a week ago???

52 Jenn (eating bender) March 6, 2010

You’re the bestest! Thanks for the link love! Deb’s post on nut butter was certainly a good one :)

I love the pic of you on the treadmill! You’re so fierce, Ange!

Can’t wait to check out the other fabulous bloggers. This is a really great feature.

Have a lovely weekend, lovely lady!

53 caronae March 6, 2010

Thanks for the health links.

I never to know whether to run and then do strength or vice-versa. I like what you said about mixing things up!

Happy weekend!