March Madness

Good morning! :)

Yesterday was a crazy day. I was up until 1am implementing the new Fedex shipping module into the shopping cart and getting ready for March madness. This was after baking all day! I was one tired girl. The good news is Fedex is now integrated in the shopping cart and will be used for all US shipments and will be offered for Canadian shipments as well! Yippee.

The reason we switched to Fedex is because we had some major problems with USPS (lost packages, delayed packages, etc). It was one huge headache. My neighbour has her own business and she told me that Fedex is amazing. I got a quote way back in October 2009 when some of you suggested Fedex to me, however the rate quote that I received was a bit high. Since my volumes have gone up, I was able to negotiate a much better rate this time.

The US shipments are about to get a lot better with Fedex. Firstly, the packages only take 2-7 business days, and secondly, if you ship your package to a non-residential address (e.g., your workplace) you will save up to $2.50 off your shipping charge! Awesomeness!

Whew…that was long…moving on! :)

IMG_2770

I had a delicious green monster to start the day today:

• 1 cup hemp milk
  • 2 kale leaves
  • 1/2 serving Manitoba Harvest Hemp Pro 70 protein powder
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1 spoonful cashew butter
  • 1/4 cup blueberries
  • 1 T chia seeds
  • Ice

I took yesterday off exercise because my bum was sore after the run on Sunday (I think it was the evil Spadina hill!).

This morning I did a combination of running and strength training. I always debate between whether I should run first or strength train first, and I usually end up running first because I find that my legs are too tired to run after doing so many squats, lunges, etc.

What do you guys do first: cardio or strength? Are there any benefits to my training to do strength first?

The tempo run:

• Mile 1: 6.2, 2% incline
  • Mile 2: 6.4, 2% incline
  • Mile 3: 6.6, 2% incline
  • Mile 4: 6.8, 2% incline
  • Mile 5: 7.5-8 mph, 1% incline

Two things I am going to work on more during my training for my 3rd half marathon (May 30th) are:

• Speed work
  • Negative splits

Negative splits are when the second half of your run is faster than the first half. Today was a negative split. Last year I almost always ran slower during the second half of my runs than the first half. I want to fix this in 2010!

I also try to make the last 1/2 mile very strong as if I was approaching a finish line in a race. I find visualizing a race and the finish line also helps with treadmill boredom!

Do you have any current running goals for 2010 or aspects that you are working on or trying to improve?

I find trying to improve certain areas makes the training much more enjoyable!

Then I did about 10-15 minutes of strength training from the Booty Camp Fitness DVD. Lunges, dead lifts, burpies, squats, core work, plyometrics, etc.

Another song I am loving to run to: Bulletproof by La Roux. So amazing!

This is a snack I can’t get enough of lately. I made this a lot during the Olympics and Eric and I would gobble it up.

IMG_1334

They are so easy to whip up and might I say…quite fun to pop in my mouth! They would also make a fun appetizer on a serving tray.

IMG_1330

Veggie Burger Poppers

• 1 veggie burger (I was planning on making the In A Jiffy Spelt Veggie Burgers but was out of a few ingredients so I used an Amy’s Texas burger)
  • Mary’s Crackers
  • Hummus
  • Black Pepper
  • Tomato paste or salsa

Can’t get enough of these lately…

IMG_1328

I also sampled some new Herbal Infusions tea that was sent to me to review. I tried the Peppermint Dream which is a combination of premium peppermint and lavender tea. I was really excited to try it out because I am a huge fan of both flavours.

IMG_1210

It tasted fabulous just like I hoped it would be. Soothing with some PEP! The perfect après- dîner tea.

IMG_1242

March Madness at Glo Bakery:

Today marks the release of the March Madness Glo Bar Variety Pack featuring 10 delicious flavours. This is the first time I have ever had a variety pack that included 10 different flavours at once! Buy 10 bars and save 10% and buy 20 bars and save 20%!

Also…

Every single Glo Bar flavour is on sale today!!

Off to work I go. Have a great day!

Angela_Signature

If your ship doesn’t come in, swim out to it.
– Jonathan Winters

1 Jessica @ How Sweet March 2, 2010

Your grapefruit shot is gorgeous! I love grapefruit sooo much. Sometimes I CRAVE it.

There is some science behind doing strength training first, some say that if you do it first, by the time you hit cardio you are really tapping into your fat stores. Personally, I have done lots of research as a trainer and found it is a gray area. I tend to strength train first because I feel stronger, and I like to have all-out cardio sessions. Sometimes after cardio I am too tired for lifting.

I have always told my clients what is important is what YOU can stick to. If you enjoy cardio before strength of vice versa, that is most likely the best option for you because you will stick to it!

2 Salina March 2, 2010

I agree with the Jessica that its important to do what you can stick to, but I have heard that it is better to do strength first, because if you have just run 5/10k and then went to do strength exercise, your muscles aren’t running as efficiently, and it may be difficult to maintain a correct form and you could be more prone to injury..

3 Kailey (SnackFace) March 2, 2010

OK, this is crazy, but I just read this post, and while I was reading that you love Bulletproof by LaRoux, it came on Vh1!!! Insane!

I love the poppers, and you totally have me craving a GM despite the chill.

I must make MamaJ some Canadian maple leaf oats (she’s Canadian, too). Too cute!

4 Laura Georgina March 2, 2010

La Roux is pretty cool to run with, huh? I also love In For The Kill for runs–I time it so that it comes on right when I think I’ll need a walk break so that the song psychs me up and I run through it. (I think I overthink these things–I need all the help I can get:-)

I could NEVER run or swim after a strength workout, I’d shake too much.

5 Danielle (Coffee Run) March 2, 2010

I always do cardio before strength training! I like to really fatigue my muscles when I strength train so it’s be way too hard to run after that.

The poppers are so creative :D I’ve still been meaning to make your spelt burgers!

6 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg March 2, 2010

I’ve always heard that you should do whatever you’re wanting to improve the most/focus on the most first. So, if you’re trying to improve your speed, do cardio or running first, but if you’re trying to build strength, do your weights first. Interesting!

Those veggie burger poppers look great– I could NOT figure out from the picture what they were, lol. I thought the tomato paste was some sort of jam! :-)

7 Aoife March 2, 2010

Hee hee I couldn’t figure out what they were either! They look gorgeous though :)

8 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine March 2, 2010

Love the veggie burger poppers- so quick and simple but easy! I bet they’d make a great party appetizer!

9 Nicole @ making good choices March 2, 2010

I like to do my cardio first too unless I am doing weights in the morning and cardio after work. As far as goals I want to run a half marathon in the next year but haven’t decided when to do it yet. Also those vege burger poppers look amazing! Can’t wait to try them!

10 Greta March 2, 2010

I need to jump on the spelt burger bandwagon – they look delish!

I’m pretty sure that when you do strength-training first, you’re using the sugars in your muscle fibers for energy (due to it being an anaerobic exercise), which leaves less available for your body to use when it comes time for cardio. Your body is forced to use your fat stores for energy during your aerobic exercise, which is harder to break down, which is why it often seems harder to do cardio after strength-training.

I agree with Jessica though, the important thing is that you find a routine that works for you, and you stick to it!

11 Leah @ L4L March 2, 2010

When I was hard core about lifting weights, I was following the New Rules Of Lifting For Women guidelines. I found that 5-10 minutes of a light cardio to warm-up, some warm-up strength moves, and then getting into my hardcore lifting routine, finished with short, intense cardio (HIIT) was the way to do it. On days that I didn’t lift, I would just do long, steady state cardio.

12 Heather @ Side of Sneakers March 2, 2010

I’m trying to work on my running speed (while preventing injury). I agree with you- I like have something specific to work towards :)

13 Ariana March 2, 2010

The burgers look delicious!

In my formation as a fitness trainer we learnt that it could be dangerous to do cardio first. Your muscles might be tired and you are exhausted and not able to coordinate them properly – the risk of injuries increases. (Running 15 minutes as a warm up is okay – but you should not run for 75 minutes first and then try to do complexe weight exercises)

We have also learnt that you have more benefits if you split the trainining – do a proper cardio in the morning and a good weight training in the evening – or on different days.

14 AGS March 2, 2010

Thank you very much — this is good to hear again.

15 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) March 2, 2010

I was always told it is based on yours fitness goals (cardio or strength) because you’ll have the most glycogen/energy/fuel at the beg of your workout. So if you want to build muscle then strength training if you want to lose weight then cardio.

For some reason I always do cardio first. I feel like it loosens up my muscles and preps me for strength training. I’m a creature of habit!

16 Katie @ Health for the Whole Self March 2, 2010

I’ve heard this as well. I was basically told to do whatever is most important to my fitness goals first. I always do cardio before strength training, but that’s probably because it’s my favorite!

17 kalli@fitandfortysomething March 2, 2010

Great workout!

My goal is my 5 K this coming weekend and a 10 K in two weeks…..keeps me running!

18 M i s s March 2, 2010

Hi Angela!

I am so excited that I managed to snag one of your variety packs. I can’t wait to try them and will definitely be posting about them on my new blog ❤

I almost always start with cardio because I’m not going for strength, moreso maintenance and lean tone. I usually do a half hour run followed by squats, lunges, abs, light arm work and back exercises. I don’t train with weights, so much, I really like the pilates/yoga approach. On the days that I don’t do strength training I double my run time and see if I can go a bit more than twice as far!

19 Jenn @ Livewellfit March 2, 2010

The debate of what to train first…I think you can read about points on either side and all are relevant in a way. Personally? I simply think you do what works for YOU! Right? While I understand why an athlete would train a particular way for his intensity, I don’t think there is enough evidence on either side for me to not do what is comfortable!

Like you, I do cardio first. If I do strength first I can barely raise my arms or kick my legs therefore my cardio intensity comes down. And that takes away part of my benefit in pushing harder when it is that type of day. :)

One key: you MUST Properly warm up your muscles in cardio. If you do not do properly warm up (solid 5 minutes) you are at a great risk for injury.

20 John March 2, 2010

Cardio before strength training is what I was always told was best. Gets your heart pumping for the lifting. I think I’m going to sign up for my 2nd HM today. 3yrs after the first….think I should put them a little closer together from now on :-)

21 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman March 2, 2010

I like to do cardio first because it warms up my muscles. At least that’s what it feels like—I’m not sure if there’s any science behind that. When I strength train first, I feel like my muscles are weaker and less able to handle more reps. That said, sometimes I’ll have strictly “arms and abs days” and I won’t do cardio at all.

22 skinnyrunner March 2, 2010

wow you are busy! but it sounds like fedex will be alot better for your business.
my running goal is to run a 50k.

23 Kristina @Mendonpondmusings March 2, 2010

Love the grapefruit shot – so fresh and bright. I want one right now!

I have also struggled with negative splits – I am only 2.5 weeks from my marathon – so I can’t do anything about it now – but I wish I had added speed work to my training. Next race – I am definitely add speed work and some strength training. I’m a running machine right now – but miss the way I feel from strength training.

24 Angela (ohsheglows) March 2, 2010

I LOVE reading eveyone’s thoughts on the big Q! I think I am going to try mixing it up and see what I like best.

25 Ameena March 2, 2010

I like doing strength first to get it over with. I could easily do cardio for hours but have to force myself to do anything weight related!

26 AGS March 2, 2010

Along the theme of “listening to your body,” I’ve had to scale back my running plans. An old injury seems to be rearing its head after 3 years, and I’m only running 1 day/week. Boo! In a month I hope to be back to the usual, and am focused on running a 5K in 20 minutes or less.

I find that cardio “pumps me up” for weight training, but since my cardio is usually running, biking, etc. (rather than rowing), on the 2 days/week I train my lower body, I split the work-out up. Today was 40 minutes of cardio in the morning, and after work will be 40 minutes of glutes training (with a 10 minute warm-up). I have two full rest days from lower body strength training between the two sessions. If I have limited time on a lower-body weights day, I do 10-15 minutes of cardio before weight training, 30 minutes of glutes training, and 15-20 minutes of cardio after the work-out.

27 Kayzilla March 2, 2010

Whoo! -fist bump for lovin’ grapefruit-

28 cali March 2, 2010

It’s funny that you have that mug. I’ve seen them at the Dollarama but I just can’t stand it for some reason. I think it brings up negative feelings about calorie counting. There is a restaurant in Toronto that my bf and I go to and they serve coffee in those mugs – I always make sure that my bf drinks out of that one.

Good luck on your marathon training. I’ve signed up for the sporting life 10K to support some of my friends that are new runners. :o)

29 Jaya March 2, 2010

Hey Ang,
Like it was pointed out above, there is a lot of science (some of it more quasi than others) to support strength training first. When training for sport, we almost always train first and do energy systems work (i.e “Cardio”) after. A big reason for this is SAFETY. It’s ok to be fatigued when you run/bike but being fatigued when you are doing strength training can result in poor form and injuries, especially when you are training to failure. I love doing both and I often split them up in to separate sessions just to maximize rest/manage fatigue. And by the way – your mini veggie burgers look fabulous!

30 Sophie @ yumventures March 2, 2010

I just started running this year, and my goal is to run in a 5k this spring! I am trying some interval training too…the negative splits are a good idea!

31 Betsy H. March 2, 2010

Read your blog Everyday! Love it. So positive and uplifting to read.
I made a “green monster” the other day and it made me feel so sick. My stomach hurt and was bloated feeling. Has anyone else every complained about that? Makes me scared to try another on.
Mine had….1 and 1/2 cups spinach, 1 T chia seeds, 1 banana, milk and ice. Should I have used something else?

Your running workouts are inspiring. I have run 2 full marathons and 10 half marathons and would love to do more. But since I had my daughter 20 months ago my life and my workouts are NOT the same. With the help of your blog I am gradually getting back into the shape I once was. It is difficult.

Thanks again Angela for your words of inspiration.
Have a great day!!
Betsy
ps. can’t wait to try those poppers!!

32 Heather March 2, 2010

I achieved a running goal sunday! I wanted to run a half marathon in 2:30 and I ran it in 2:28, I was super proud!

33 Sara @ ActiveGal March 2, 2010

I am really trying to focus on my strength training. It is hard to fit it in a lot, but I think it is so rewarding when you begin to see the results!

34 Sarah March 2, 2010

As far as running goes, I’m coming back from a very LONG break (like a few years!), so I’m working on being consistent and building a base for my half marathon in May. I’m hoping to build a good enough base and consistency that I can scoot into a training program for a Fall marathon. Happy running!

35 christina cadden March 2, 2010

Love your green monster picture. I am going to have to try it!

36 caitlin March 2, 2010

that looked like meat on top of the crackers and i almost freaked out. LOL

37 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad March 2, 2010

The general rule is to do whatever you are most interested in reaping benefits from first. If you’re trying to increase running fitness, run first. If you want to tone more, strength train first.

I never strength train legs on running days.

38 Bronwyn March 2, 2010

I like to do a sort of circuit when I do weight training: I usually warm up with some cardio, then I switch between weight moves and cardio until I’ve done all my weights… That way I don’t get bored at the gym. ;)

39 Angela March 2, 2010

I typically do strength training first because I want to focus all my energy on that. I schedule in a couple of cardio only days in the week so that I make sure that gets my full attn.
I also make a pro shake to take to the gym with me and will have 1/2 of it before ST because I find I perform better that way!

40 Annie March 2, 2010

My running goal this year is distance and racing! I am currently running 3 miles 5 days a week, but I want to up that. I also just signed up for my very first 5k!

Good luck with your 3rd half marathon (doing a half is my ultimate goal!!)!

41 Shelly March 2, 2010

My running goal is to get back into the swing of things. I literally had 3 colds in the past two months- and the last two were nasty chest colds. I exercised as much as I could, but between the colds and the bad weather (it’s been atypically cold in New Orleans this winter), I pretty much stuck to the gym when I felt well enough to work out. Now I can run about 5K and I’m sore the next day. This is incredibly frustrating to me because I ran a half marathon in November! My mind is craving long runs but my body just isn’t up for it. :( I know I’ll get back there and I’m training for a 10K in April, but I feel like a wimp right now. I also need new running shoes, which I’m hoping will help with the soreness issue. There is something unpleasant going on with my shins right now….
My other goal is to start swimming for fitness. I’m just waiting for my one-piece suit to arrive in the mail!

42 Heather (Heather's Dish) March 2, 2010

march madness indeed! sounds like a great deal :) i usually like to do cardio first, mainly because i feel like my body is a rock if i do strength training first. i just don’t have the same flexibility as i do if i start off doing cardio (whether it’s running, walking, biking, hiking, or whatever). since i don’t really do a lot of running anymore, i don’t have any specific running goals, but i want to be able to finish a near-by hike that usually takes and hour and a half in an hour…totally doable, but i just need to increase my cardiovascular abilities!

43 TheKiwiBex March 2, 2010

I always do cardio first and then strength training – like you, I’d just be too knackered to do the cardio otherwise.

I’ve just discovered your blog recently and I’m loving it! Your recipes always look ridiculously delicious and I can’t wait to try some, especially the choco-cado pudding :)

44 Amy @ Everything is Homemade March 2, 2010

I like to do cardio first. It gets my muscles all warmed up and ready to go. I only lift on the days I do shorter, easy runs. I never lift after long runs.

Running Goals – I’m running a 10k at the end of the month and would like to run it under 50 minutes. Then for the fall I am contemplating my first full marathon or if I chicken out I’ll try to run a personal best in the half marathon (would be my fourth).

45 Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 2, 2010

I have to run first or my legs are WAY too tired! I am definitely working on my speed right now, it’s tough!

46 Miriam March 2, 2010

Are there any benefits to my training to do strength first? Yes there is. First it is impossible to do a good legs workout after doing 40 minutes of cardio. But you can always do a good leg workout and a good 40 minutes of cardio (or postpone cardio to another day if you really cant do both… this call for practice). Second, by doing your strenght training first you will be able to use weight that are challenging : you will actually gets results. Third, by the time you’ll be done and heading to cardio zone your heart beat will already be at a good pace, in another words it will take less time to achieve training zone beat pace.

47 Tina March 2, 2010

I’ve always heard that you should do whatever activity your main goal relates to first. So, if preparing for races and improving your running fitness is most important to you right now do the cardio first. But if having energy to push through a weight workout and improve strength is your goal focus on the lifting first. :)

48 Steph @ My Life In Motion March 2, 2010

I like to do cardio first, too. I tried to do weights first for a while, but I had the same problem you did….my legs were like bricks during the cardio session.

On another note, what type of Mary’s Crackers do you use? I bought the herbed ones and they’re good, but they do compete with the flavors of the things I pair them with. Are the original ones better? Thanks!

49 Joe March 2, 2010

I do cardio first. It gets you warmed up well, and your metablism burns longer while strength training.

50 Ariana March 2, 2010

Have you tried doing both strength and cardio at the same time? I’m a huge fan of doing circuit training. I usually do no more than 20 minutes, but it is INTENSE the whole time. Check out bodyrock.tv. I stumbled upon it a few months ago and follow her free workouts regularly…and they’ve made an incredible difference! With circuit training I truly feel like I’m torching fat but building muscle at the same time. And you can’t beat the short amount of time it takes!!!

PS – I tried your avocado pudding recipe. OMG! BEST pudding I’ve EVER had! I can’t believe it’s actually good for me!

Love the blog! Keep it coming.

Ariana in Alberta

51 Paige @ Running Around Normal March 2, 2010

That Green Monster looks so fresh and GREEN! Nice job on the tempo run. That was my run this morning too – except I only did 3.75 miles. Love tempo runs! Those veggie burger poppers look like the perfect snackie foods.

Off to visit Glo Bakery… :)

52 Paige @ Running Around Normal March 2, 2010

Oh! And I’ve researched the cardio first or strength training first a lot before, and it’s beneficial to do strength training prior to cardio because it’s very important not to compromise form. After an all out cardio session, you might not have enough energy to use towards making sure you have proper form while lifting weights.
That said, I generally weigh which is more important to me. For example, if I’m training for a race, and that’s my main priority, I’ll use the majority of my energy on my run, thus, doing cardio first.

53 Angela @ A Healthy FIt March 2, 2010

I usually do my cardio first before lifting because I always think that I will be too tired for cardio after lifting. I read somewhere that doing cardio after strength training will burn more calories. Not sure though…

54 Katie March 2, 2010

I actually started to split my cardio; I do some before and some after. I have heard it is best to do it after if you want to maximize weight loss. Since I’m not in it for that, I just do it when I feel tired. I think mixing it up is always good! Plus there is research going both ways (shocking, I know).

By the way, I LOVE that mug!

55 Bree@beeskneeslife March 2, 2010

I always lift first. I lift pretty heavy, so I want to make sure I am not fatigued as to compromise my form. I have read in a few places that you will get more benefits out of lifting before cardio. I guess in the end it depends on your goals. If you are training for a marathon vs. training for a power lifting meet, you are going to attack things a little differently!

56 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 2, 2010

If your goal is strength building or even weightloss you should lift before cardio to put optimum energy into your weightlifting and thus achieve maximum results. If you are training for some cardio activity (like a 5K or marathon or whatever) it might be best to do cardio first. Or even better: cardio in the AM on an empty stomach and weightlifting in the afternoon.

57 Nicola Gildersleeve March 2, 2010

This is what I have read.

If your goal is to get better at running for example, do the run first. If you do the strength first, you risk fatiguing the body and by the time you get to the run portion of the workout, you are not as fresh and thus will have a poor quality run.

On the contrary, if your goal was to build muscle/improve strength, do the strength training first.

I am a Personal Trainer and run coach from North Vancouver, B.C! I am training for my first 100 mile race this year in California. Should be one hell of a good time!

Nicola Gildersleeve

58 natalie @ nono2yoyo March 2, 2010

Fatiguing the muscle to a level 10 out of 10 intensity is really the best way to create change and build muscle. If you can do cardio and still hit your level 10 with strength training afterwards, then either way is great. If you aren’t able to push yourself to that 10 after your cardio, it is better to do strength first. Even though your legs will be sore or tired when you run after strenght, you will be building them stronger by pushing them harder. (i am working with a trainer right now and that is her advice coming out of my mouth) :)

59 Lauren @ BIOCHEMISTA March 2, 2010

Hi Angela! ;)

Can we run together??? lol We seem to have the same training schedule, pace, etc.

LOVE the veg burger idea! SO cute!!!

Also, I added you to my blog roll, hope that’s okay ;)

Have a great day <3

xoxox,

Lauren

60 Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) March 2, 2010

Those poppers look great! I have been LOVING grapefruits too! So fresh now!

xo
K

61 ::christine:: March 2, 2010

Curious – you always have tomato paste not sauce – preference or is there more healthy benefits to the paste?

I’m starving and those poppers need to GET IN MY BELLY! =)

62 Salah@myhealthiestlifestyl March 2, 2010

those veggie burger poppers look so amazing! I gave up cheese for lent so I’ll definitely be trying some of those next time I’m craving a cheeseburger/veggieburger :-)

63 Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 2, 2010

oooh I love grapefruit too – the more I eat it – the more I crave it!!!!

64 Kristilyn (My 29th Year) March 2, 2010

Congrats on the FedEx change! I used to work for a company where they would send shipments to me and FedEx rocked. I would order items that were sent through UPS and it was always a pain. The worst thing was that they could never ship to my house since I live on an acreage, so I’d always get home, excited that I had a package, but have to drive into the city to get it. Not cool. I heart FedEx. :-)

As for your cardio vs. strength question, I try to rotate days … I’ll do cardio one morning, then strength the next. I find that works for me!

I’ve been loving grapefruit lately, too … actually, I’ve been loving produce lately! Someone brought in brownies today (those ‘oh my gosh, these are to die for’ brownies) and I found myself looking more forward to my mango than a brownie (and never did eat a brownie … I think they’re all gone!).

It’s funny how taste buds change!

K

65 Laura March 2, 2010

Yay for worldwide grapefruit love! I only started eating the Ruby ones late last year and they have become quite a staple for me, much better than the boring old yellow. Also I love, love, love La Roux! I am always skipping songs on my ipod to get to La Roux :)

66 Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ March 2, 2010

I love your little pizza burgers. I made something similar to that for the supper bowl and was surprised at how easy and delicious it was.

67 Jil March 2, 2010

LOVE that mug!!!

68 Jolene March 2, 2010

In 2010 I plan on learning to be a runner. I am registering for my first 5k which will take place on May 30th, and am going to do the Couch to 5k program as soon as the snow starts melting.

I would love to do a half marathon in September.

69 Samantha March 2, 2010

That mug is so cute!

70 Gloria March 2, 2010

I do cardio then strengthtraining.
I made your veggie burger couple days ago, it was so easy and versatile. And a good way to clean up the fridge =)
I used carrot, celery, kale, black eye peas and only pumpkin seeds cause I do not have anything else.
At first the celery taste was a bit strong, but on the second day you can’t even notice it anymore. Definitely will make it again.

71 Natalie Berry March 2, 2010

I noticed that you said you were having knee problems, but you felt better after strength training…what knee problems do you have? I’m wondering because I have had a couple of surgeries on my knee and after completing my 1st half marathon last year, I might have to stick to 5Ks and 10Ks. I’d love to know if I could strengthen it and get back to halves. Also, my running goal for this year is to look at it in a healthy way and not as an idol. I want to fully enjoy it and let it be a release instead of an obligation!

72 MarathonVal March 2, 2010

A few trainers have told me that it’s better to strength train before cardio since your muscles will be strong and ready to go for the strength training… but until I was told that I used to do cardio first and I don’t think there is a big difference either way :)

73 Kris March 2, 2010

mmmmm….I am hungry now! I love grapefruit!! I’ve always heard weights before cardio…There is no method to my madness, I just try to fit something in :)