The Good Old Hockey Game

Such a fabulous 17 day stretch of the Olympics!

Canada is not typically a country associated with a great deal of overt patriotism, but these winter games really brought the country together in a way that we never have before. I couldn’t be more proud of my country and for all of the amazing athletes in every country around the world!

I had a great snack after the 1st period of the hockey game yesterday. I was hungry all day from that run outside in Toronto! There is something about fresh air that always makes me more hungry than usual.

I needed to get out my frustrations with some crunch!

IMG 1584 thumb   The Good Old Hockey Game

I forgot to mention yesterday that I had no knee pain after my run (I didn’t wear my knee sleeves). I am definitely going to keep up the strength training as my legs feel so much stronger than they did last year. Hopefully with the strength training I can eliminate, or at least reduce, the need for my knee sleeves. :)

IMG 1586 thumb   The Good Old Hockey Game

What a hockey game!!!!!

I squeezed Eric’s hand the whole game. I think I almost broke his finger when USA tied it up with 25 seconds left! Canada shed a single tear.

It was such a close game and really could have gone either way. I thought both Canada and USA played with every ounce in them. We really couldn’t have asked for a more exciting gold medal game. Kudos to all the players for giving their blood, sweat, and tears!

Of course, I had to celebrate our athletes this morning with a festive bowl of oats…

Oh Canada Oats

IMG 1598 thumb   The Good Old Hockey Game

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup oats
  • 1 cup water
  • 2/3 cup almond milk
  • 1 ripe banana, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • Pinch sea salt
  • 1/2 scoop Manitoba Harvest Hemp Protein Powder

Toppings:

• Pure Canadian Maple Syrup (pour a ring around the leaf for the gold medal)
  • Coconut
  • Dried organic cranberries

Directions: Throw oats, water, milk, vanilla, salt, chopped banana, and optional protein powder into a pot and stir. Bring to a boil and reduce to medium to low temp. Stir for about 8 minutes until cooked. Add toppings and enjoy!

IMG 1601 thumb   The Good Old Hockey Game

So fun!

IMG 1600 thumb   The Good Old Hockey Game

I’m so sad the Olympics are over!!! They made winter so much brighter, didn’t they?

Size Healthy Around the Blog World:

Coming up tomorrow: March Madness at Glo Bakery! I was hoping to announce the exciting variety pack today, but I am integrating Fedex into our shopping cart and it is proving to be very difficult to code. We are switching over to Fedex as they are more reliable and faster. Also, if you ship your package to a non-residential address (e.g., to your workplace), you will save $2.50 on your shipping costs.

Enjoy your MARCH 1st!

Angela Signature thumb   The Good Old Hockey Game

Jessica @ How Sweet March 1, 2010

Hahah how cute are those oats?!? I am so sad the Olympics are over. :( I am glad that Canada won, because I live in Pittsburgh and of course, LOVE Crosby. He made it ok. ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 1, 2010

he makes everything ok lol

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 1, 2010

Crosby is my hero

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) March 1, 2010

Ahhh what a cute bowl o’ Canadian oats!! Ever since I became friends with a Canadian in elementary school, I’ve always wanted to be one :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) March 1, 2010

your oats are AWESOME!!! i love those chips by the way…so spicy! also, quick question: do you have any recipes using spelt berries? i can’t seem to find any good recipes out there for them…

have a fabulous monday!

Jenn @ Livewellfit March 1, 2010

It is so awesome how the Olympics can unite various countries and really bring out the patriotism, isn’t it?

I am just finishing a bowl of oats myself- needed some warmth in this body! It is cold here today.

I am still spreading the word myself about size healthy! I bought a new pair of jeans this weekend and told the sales associates about it! They loved it!

Megan March 1, 2010

Angela those oats are FABULOUS! Nice work on the leaf – I remember being in grade school and having to draw the flag and I could never quite get the leaf right!

Perhaps an Oh Canada Glo Bar!??! If it’s maple-flavoured, I’m sold! :)

Jewel@fit-and-fabulous-jewel March 1, 2010

I am not Canadian but I have to say a maple-flavored Glo Bar sounds fantastic!!!

megan March 1, 2010

great bowl of oats! I love the patriotism. I didn’t get to see the game, but I agree with Jessica about Crosby making it ok :) (originallly from pittsburgh)

Paige @ Running Around Normal March 1, 2010

That bowl of oats is fantastic, Ange! Love it! Haha your patriotism is awesome.

I didn’t know that about the shipping costs of shipping to non-residential. Thanks for the tip! :)

Laura Georgina March 1, 2010

I second Megan’s Oh Canada Glo bar suggestion! Not only would it be delish, but maybe those aspiring Canadians among us could earn permanent residence status by demonstrating Canadian patriotism and eating a certain amount of Oh Canada Glo bars, maple syrup, BC salmon, Toronto street corner hot dogs, and poutine…

Megan March 1, 2010

I read your comment really fast, and at first I thought you were talking about a glo bar flavoured with maple syrup, salmon AND hot dogs! All in one… lol. Eeeek! Ha ha ha.

Kara (@ Kara's Marathon) March 1, 2010

Great oats! :)

I was sorry to see Canada win the gold medal (I’m a HUGE Buffalo Sabres fan, and Miller’s face after the game-winning goal broke my heart), but it was a great game, an exciting tournament, and all in all an awesome Olympics!

Kristin March 1, 2010

I’m a Canadian – and ecstatic for Canada’s win – but Miller’s face broke my heart too!

Lauren March 1, 2010

Those Oh Canada oats are hilarious and brightened my Monday ;) they look delicious too!

Allison (Eat Clean Live Green) March 1, 2010

Cute oats!

That was such an awesome game! Iginla-Crosby was a great way to win :)

Tracey @ TropicalHappiness March 1, 2010

Kudos to your Canadian boys for winning last night! The USA played their best, but we couldn’t quite pull it off! What a game to end the Olympics, right?

Lizz (Leading the Good Life) March 1, 2010

Love your oats! I never really got into hockey until the Olympics – I’m so glad I watched! Hockey is so exciting – my heart races the entire time. Do you think watching could be considered a workout? ;)

I would also love to see some maple-flavored Glo Bars mmmmmm!

Estela @ Weekly Bite March 1, 2010

Those oats are so cute!!

Congrats on the win! It was a really great game played by both teams :)

Bronwyn March 1, 2010

WOOOO! Goooo Canada! :D

Team Canada was awesome! Way for the Olympics on HOME SOIL to go out with a BANG!

Kristilyn (My 29th Year) March 1, 2010

I was so happy that Canada won the hockey game! I was worried after the United States tied up the game, but of course … Crosby wins the game! I really didn’t watch a lot of the Olympics until this past weekend but even that was so exciting.

LOVE the Canada Oats! I also agree with the suggestions for an Oh Canada Glo bar!

K

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama March 1, 2010

Those oats are too cute!

Gillian March 1, 2010

I sadly was unable to make such a patriotic breky this morning – but WOW – WHAT A GAME yesterday! I think my heart has finally settled down – lol!

Angela (ohsheglows) March 1, 2010

LOVE the ida for a maple flavoured GLO BAR!

Angela (ohsheglows) March 1, 2010

oops idea I meant

Sarah March 1, 2010

You are too freakin’ hysterical with those Oh Canada! oats :)

Shannon March 1, 2010

Ahhh – your oats are adorable!!!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg March 1, 2010

Great patriotism!! Those oats are adorable…eh! :-)

Lauren March 1, 2010

I love cute food like that. It would be a great way to get a child excited about healthy food. You’re going to be a great mother one day. :)

Christina March 1, 2010

Angela, I have been meaning to ask this forever now (so I apologize if someone has already asked), but I LOVE your spoons! Do you remember where they came from? I think I have seen pics on your blog of a red one and a white one maybe? They are so cute!

Angela (ohsheglows) March 1, 2010

Crate & Barrel :) They are little appetizer spoons

Recipes for Creativity March 1, 2010

You are so creative with your oats! If you weren’t taking a picture of them for the blog, would you have just thrown all the toppings on, or would you have made it pretty just for you to enjoy?

Angela (ohsheglows) March 1, 2010

having a blog has definitely made me more conscious of the presentation of my food. Before OSG I didn’t really care about the presentation at all!

Ameena March 1, 2010

I love your cranberry maple leaf…so patriotic! I totally agree that Canada really came together during these games, usually the US shows a lot more patriotism.

Katie March 1, 2010

Loving the Oats as a tribute to Canada!! It was a great game!!! My fiance was very tense during the whole game!! lol!!

Have a great day!!! xoxo

amie March 1, 2010

best game EVER!! it was actually the first olympic event i could watch in real-time since i’m a Canadian living in London this year. but definitely the event i would pick to watch live if i could pick!! it was INCREDIBLE!! also great to see how much support we’re getting overseas, BBC was definitely favouring Canada over the States in their commentary! hahaha, love it :)

Karen w March 1, 2010

I loved the Olympic sooooo much, I am so sad they are over!

Marina March 1, 2010

This is one of the sweetest bowl of oats I have ever seen :) Amazing :)

Heather @ Side of Sneakers March 1, 2010

Your maple leaf oats are absolutely adorable! Go Canada! ;)

Shayna @ Cuts and Curves March 1, 2010

Love your oats!! That’s pretty impressive and so creative. Goooo Canada!

katherine March 1, 2010

i think the game ended just as it should have. being a native Pittsburgher, i was positively thrilled that Sid the Kid scored the winning goal, and really didn’t care that it was against the US. congrats to Canada and congrats on a great Olympics!

Adrienmelaine (confessionsofahealthnut) March 1, 2010

you forgot the maple syrup in there! hahah those oats look great- GO CANADA!

Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle March 1, 2010

That has to be the most creative bowl of oats I’ve ever seen! Congrats to Canada!

Tricia March 1, 2010

It was SUCH a great game last night!
Congratulations! Crosby is a stud :-)

Mo March 1, 2010

Love those oats – so beautiful! I am a Yank, but am happy that the Canadian team got the gold on your home soil!

I am always sad when the Olympics are over :(

To combat the end of the Olypics doldrums, I’ve decided to have my own Project Fitness. My goal is to try to learn from you and make goals, record progress and stay focused on a two month-long program to take my health and fitness up a notch.

In March I will make great use of my last month of gym membership – I am giving it up to save money and time. I love, love, love the gym, but want to figure out a way to stay fit without missing so much time at home with family.

In April I am going to join a yoga studio for one month and will practice 4-5 days a week. Beginning in May I will hopefully feel a lot better and will have a solid foundation for staying fit with a home-based program. I am excited! Thanks for all of your inspiration and good ideas!

Christy March 1, 2010

Lovin’ the patriotic breakfast… Too cute!! I think the trying to do that w/ the American flag would be a bit too much for a bowl of oatmeal! :razz:

Valerie March 1, 2010

That game was intense! I do love how much the Olympics have encouraged us all to celebrate being Canadian :) And the celebrations were definitely amazing! In my city, people were flocking to the uptown area, cars were honking everywhere, everyone was cheering/singing. I had a great time high fiving random people in cars and singing O Canada as loud as I could!

Love those oats too! Perfect post-hockey game breakfast! I definitely know what you mean about being sad the Olympics are over. What are we going to watch on TV now? Haha!

Angela (ohsheglows) March 1, 2010

amazing!
They had to close down portions of yonge street in toronto too!

Nicole, RD March 1, 2010

Haha, I love the oats! I am going to miss having the Olympics to watch!!

Page 1 of 212»