Hot Lips, Cheese Whiz, and Ah Caramels

Hello :) Hope you have had a great Monday!

First, I wanted to talk a bit about Size Healthy.

The reason I did Size Healthy was because I struggled with the size on my tags for years. I let the size on my tag (and other numbers) define how I felt about my body and about myself.

Writing Size Healthy on my tags was one of the most liberating things I have ever done because it finally represented symbolically that I was letting go of what I struggled with for many years and occasionally to this day.

I don’t claim that it will be appropriate for everyone. Not everyone is currently at their Size Healthy and some of you are not bothered by numbers on a tag. I get that!

This was created for people who have had struggles with basing self-worth on a number. Those who, despite being at a healthy weight, struggle with the desire to lose more and more weight. Those of us who have never been happy with our bodies despite being perfectly healthy otherwise.

Size Healthy represents being happy about where you are right now and knowing that your efforts day in and day out should be applauded. Whether you are naturally a size 0 or a size 12, writing Size Healthy on your tag is a small reminder each day that you are doing your best to live a healthy and balanced life.

Size Healthy Around The Blog World:

And now for a twist on a childhood favourite…

IMG_1347

Nut Butter, jam, & grilled banana on toast

I first saw grilled bananas on Healthy Tipping Point and I thought it was right up my alley. I decided to create a spin off of the PB & J Sandwich of my youth.

Ingredients:

• Ezekiel bread, toasted
  • 1 banana, cut into slices and grilled in frying pan until browned
  • Nut butter (I used almond butter in this one)
  • Jam (I used organic strawberry)

Directions: Slice up a banana and grill on low-med in a lightly greased frying pan until browned. Toast bread and spread with nut butter and jam. Take grilled banana and place over top. Enjoy!

IMG_1351

The grilled bananas really made this pop! Much, much tastier than just placing a fresh banana on top. I burned my banana a bit (ok, ok, I scorched it!) and it gave it such a deep flavour.

IMG_1338

Foods You Used To Love As A Child:

Yesterday I was talking with a girlfriend about snack foods we loved as children.

Here are some snack foods I used to love as a child:

• Peanut Butter and Jam sandwich on white bread (classic!)
  • Cheese Whiz sandwich (I used to LOVE Cheese Whiz as a kid)
  • Little Debbie Snack Cakes: Swiss Cake Rolls, Zebra Cakes, Fudge brownies
  • Ah Caramels
  • Kraft Dinner
  • Fruit By the Foot, Fruit Roll-ups, Gushers (let’s be real there is no fruit in those things!)
  • Cotton Candy Ice Cream (the blue swirl = amazing!)
  • Bubblegum ice cream
  • Starburst/Skittles (go hand in hand)
  • Kool-Aid
  • PENNY CANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (100 pieces for $1 buck = jackpot!) Sour Patch Kids, Big Foot, Hot Lips, etc…
  • Anything in a juice box ;)
  • Salt and Vinegar chips
  • Pigs in a Blanket (OSGMOM was the coolest mom on the block when she made these!)
  • Mr. P’s Frozen Pizzas (used to be 99 cents!!!)
  • Bonkers- the original, not when they brought it back in the late 90’s (sign the bring back petition…LOL)
  • Spaghetti Sandwich (I used to take a dinner roll, stuff it with spaghetti + sauce)

We actually rarely had these snacks foods in the house, but I used to envy my friends who had them and would eat them whenever I could!

I asked my mom about snack foods I loved as a kid and this is what she said, “You will laugh at this…you didn’t like veggies much. You loved sweets, pizza, peanut butter & jam sandwiches, and mac & cheese.”

I clearly remember the days of taking my veggies and feeding them to our dog underneath the dinner table!! I also used to have to sit at the table until I finished my veggies. Sometimes I would hide them in potato skins thinking my mom would never notice! hahah…good times! ;)

Isn’t it funny how our tastes change and evolve?

Tell me what snack foods YOU loved as a kid…I’m sure I am forgetting a TON of them I used to eat. I can’t wait to reminisce with all of you… :mrgreen:

Updates:

Angela_Signature

1 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg February 22, 2010

lol– those were all the foods I wanted SO badly as a kid!!! My parents were health nuts, so we were lucky if we got graham crackers and fig newtons. Of course, I appreciate their health mission now, but as a kid, I just wanted Gushers and Oreos like all the other kids!

2 Liz February 22, 2010

Cheez whiz sandwich?! What! My mom wouldn’t even let the stuff in the house, ironically she would allow me to eat mayonnaise sandwiches tho, which as I type out sounds way worse than good ol fashion cheese whiz :)

3 caitlin February 22, 2010

my mom and i used to take frozen oreos and smear PB inside them and then smash two together and eat them… ohmigod. i need to bring that back ASAP.

4 Heather (Where's the Beach) February 22, 2010

The toast looks sooo good. I used to LOVE bubble gum ice cream too. I also like the Little Debbie’s Zebras (not sure what the exact name was) and the jelly rolls. I also loved Cheetos and cheese puffs (still love ’em, just won’t buy them). Oh junk food!

5 Anna February 22, 2010

I was actually a huge veggie lover as a kid. I would accept the brownies and other treats that my relatives would give me at parties but sneak over to the veggie tray to scarf down baby carrots and red pepper strips. At least that’s the story that my mom tells, but given my love for plants, it doesn’t surprise me!

Now, this doesn’t mean I didn’t have a great fondness for food that really wasn’t food at all – Dunkaroos, Lunchables, Fruit Roll Ups, Pillsbury sticky buns. If I ever see any of this in the store I immediately get taken back to 4th grade lunch!

6 Laura February 22, 2010

Being a typical Aussie, I loved Vegemite and Butter between Salada Crackers, nice and thick so when you squeezed it, it came through the holes in the biscuit like little worms :)

7 Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 22, 2010

OMG!! I totally did this too!

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2010

hehe yup…just with cheese whiz and not vegemite ;)

9 Laura February 22, 2010

Thats awesome Lisa, did you have Milo Sandwiches too?

10 Lizzie February 22, 2010

SO good – also good with Saos!!

11 Lizzie February 22, 2010

Hmmm . . where to start?

Vegemite – with cheese, lettuce, just plain on toast, with butter on sandwich

Sausage and tomato sauce sandwiches. Devon (kind of like bologona) and tomato sauce sandwiches.

In high school for a year I was obsessed with prawn chips (deep fried Chinese style chips that may or may not actually have any prawn in them . . but there is a prawn flavour!)

Lamingtons (on occasion -basically yellow cake with cream in the middle rolled in chocolate and coconut).

Fresh grain bread with butter. Bread. Bread. Bread.

cheesesticks

salt and vinegar chips (even better on a vegemite and cheese sandwich!)

Kraft processed cheese (could only have this when I stayed at my friend’s house as my mum wouldn’t buy it).

Swiss rolls (sponges rolled up with jam in the middle).

Cheezels (ring shaped cheese flavoured chips).

Anything my mum/nana made – chocolate cake, peppermint chocolate slice, lemon delicious, buttersotch pudding, fairy cakes (like cupcakes)

Having looked at this list, I think the only things I eat regularly are cheese, bread (grain, wholemeal). But I treat myself where applicable to some of the other things (all homemade, so I know what’s in them!). But now I am hungry and homesick for my childhood :)

12 Meredith February 22, 2010

I loved the sugary breakfast cereals.. trix, cinnamon toast crunch, french toast crunch, captain crunch, pebbles, etc.

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2010

I forgot about CAPTAIN CRUNCH…it was only good with the crunch berries in it tho!!!

14 Brooke February 22, 2010

I loved the crunch berries. I remember picking them out of the box and before you knew it the whole box was just captian crunch :)

15 Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 22, 2010

What a great looking sammie!
I loved cheese sandwiches when I was a kid – haha and still do!

16 Cassie February 22, 2010

HMM…Apparently as an infant/toddler I ate cottage cheese like it was nobody’s business. I hated it a few years ago..and now don’t mind it! Funny, huh?
I also LOOVEEEDD peanut butter & banana sandwiches. So, so good. (Still do! ;) ) LOL it’s hard trying to think!
Ham & cheese sandwiches. Straight up. No veggies. I also liked plain jam sandwiches, (all on white of course. I remember when mom tried to introduce whole grain bread for the first time–I thought the seeds and grains were REPULSIVE! Now it’s the other way around :P)
For cookies I LOVED Mr.Christie DREAM PUFF cookies. I’m pretty sure I was willing to do ANYTHING for one! On that note, i’m sure anything from Mr.Christie was well appreciated in my books ;)
i’ll have to ask my parents what some of my favourite stuff was!

17 Laura February 22, 2010

Following on from the Laura above, although from New Zealand and not Australia, I used to love “mousetraps”, which was white bread spread with vegemite and topped with cheese, microwaved for one minute, so the cheese melted and the crust got all crisp and chewy.

Darn you, adult gluten intolerance!

I also used to love having breakfast at McDonalds for a treat – hash browns, hot chocolate and a bacon and egg muffin with the bacon removed. That was probably foreshadowing of removing red meat from my diet in my teens! In summer, I used to love getting softserve vanilla ice cream with sprinkles from the ice cream truck; it used to stop by the lake where I spent every summer with my brother and cousins. And Mud Buckets, which were these awesome ice creams that came in a plastic cone and had a solid ball of chocolate in the bottom, about the size of a large marble. Hot chips with chicken salt and vanilla milkshakes with ice cream from the cafe. Cadbury Flake ice creams – possibly the most delicious thing ever. And Cadbury Black Forest chocolate – Dairy Milk chocolate with bits of cookie and raspberry gummy candy in it.

Can you tell that I had (erm, still have, actually) a horrible sweet tooth? :) I did also like things that weren’t 99% comprised of sugar. My mum used to make the most delicious cheese pancakes (crepes filled with a cheese sauce) and our go-to comfort food when we were sick was buttered white bread mashed up with a poached egg and milk. It sounds horrible, but wasn’t! And of course there were 2 Minute Noodles. I was addicted to eating those as an afterschool snack. While I watched Rugrats.

Nostalgia!

18 Melissa February 22, 2010

Somehow I hated peanut butter. Wouldnt go near it. I would have jelly sandwiches with the crust cut off. And needed pancakes DRENCHED in syrup. Its funny because I am the complete opposite now. LOVE peanut up and other savory things, and not so much sweets. I also loved grilled cheese and mac and cheese. That hasn’t changed and I never want it to :)

19 Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker February 22, 2010

Love your list. I used to heart peanut butter cups, peanut butter M&Ms, peanut butter and fluff sandwiches (you see a pattern here???) . . . mac and cheese, pepperoni pizza (though I became vegetarian at age 12), and — like you — not many veggies!!! But I did eat peas.

20 Lauren February 22, 2010

I grew up on “fluffernutter” (PB + marshmallow fluff) sandwiches! So yummy :)

21 Janna (Just Flourishing) February 22, 2010

Ah! How fun.

Hm.. what did I love when I was younger…

I really liked plain white bread, spread with margarine and then brown sugar. Yikes! I like cheerios and french toast crunch.
I liked Kraft Dinner alot and dominos pizza. LOVED gushers and gummy bears. Hot dogs. Chicken fingers, sour soothers, fruit roll-ups and hot chocolate.

22 Cole February 22, 2010

Hmmm…Velveeta mac and cheese. Holy yum.

23 Estela @ Weekly Bite February 22, 2010

This is going to sound weird, but my mom would take the crusts off the bread, spread cream cheese inside and roll it up. It was so good :)

24 RawSierra February 22, 2010

Cheetos – and still to this day…I swear they have some type of addicting drug in them…waiting for a raw/vegan version…lol!

25 Tiffany @ A Dantat's Life February 22, 2010

my favorite lunch in elementary school was spaghetti-o’s in a thermos — they stayed hot until lunchtime and i was in heaven eating them!

26 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 22, 2010

I LOVED things like handisnacks, dunkaroos, and gushers. Fruit roll ups were also on the list. Oh to be a kid again. ;)

27 Leena February 22, 2010

oh this is fun! there were SO MANY foods i loved as a kid, a lot of which are some you mentioned! i loved junk food as a kid… some of the things i loved i cannot believe! here are some of my favorites: easy cheez (the stuff in the can :P) sprayed on club crackers, dunkaroos, teddy grahams, goldfish and pretzels dipped in ketchup, cheez-its, cheddar chex mix… there’s so much more! oh – and i used to love toasted strudels too! my dad would always draw me little pictures with the frosting, and i had to guess what it was before i ate it!
i also used to eat lunchables, kid cuisine, and peanut butter and fluff sandwiches (on wonder bread of course!) all the time!
and my absolute favorite treat was when i went to my nana’s house for lunch – she made the best egg salad! we would have it spread on pringles! then, for dessert, we would always share a little debby’s swiss roll!
even though i loved my junk as a kid… i guess i always have had a heatlhy bone in me… probably from as young as 2, my favorite breakfast was oatmeal! yup! loved that stuff, and still do! it was instant, and had to be apples and cinnamon, but it was still oatmeal!!
childhood memories are so great!

28 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad February 22, 2010

I ate oatmeal creme pies, juicy juice boxes, capri suns, now and laters, neccos, fruit salad, lucky charms, sour patch kids….I surely hope I can keep my children from eating this stuff!

29 Eliza February 22, 2010

love the grilled banana and almond butter jam on toast, i must make this soon! :] and loved reading about your childhood favorite foods!…i was an odd child who LOved Veggies, and would get pizza and always get onions and spinach on it lol..my mom was into organic and health food, so i grew up eating pretty healthy, but i LOVED annies mac and cheese, that was my favorite! but i also loved jelly beans and all gummy candies..but i remember picking out only the coconut and vanilla and cotton candy flavored jelly beans out of the jar! and oddly i was a child that rarely had PBJ..i had tahini + honey sammies a lot, which i loved, hmmm lots more but i have seemed to have written a novel haha.

xx
Eliza

30 Kate B February 22, 2010

Thanks for putting my blog post on Size Healthy on your blog! I really respect you and it makes me happy to no end to see my blog link on your blog!

Thank you for introducing me to Size Healthy! It has really set free that last bit of insecurity that I was holding on to!

-Kate

31 Abby February 22, 2010

Dunkaroos!!!!

Also, I STILL love Penny candy! My husband I get some when we go to the mall. I let him eat most of it, but it’s still sooooo good!

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2010

sometimes we’d come out of the corner store with a huge paperbag filled of penny candy…maybe 300 pieces…lol…and we’d demolish it in a couple hours and have the biggest tummy ache.

33 Anais February 22, 2010

I heard on the radio the other day that Cheese Whiz can actually used to clean floors :S I definitely used to love it too but I think we only had it twice in my house lol!

I never had mac & cheese until like 2 years ago… now it’s one of my guilty pleasures I have to say!

34 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2010

Clean floors? wtf…hahaha

35 Taylor February 22, 2010

I was the child who stayed at the kitchen table til bedtime for not eating my veggies…so I fully agree about the taste evolution! Now I can’t get enough!

I was typically the sweets girl….Pop tarts, cookies and cream ice cream, fun dip, oreos….and then, of course, the super healthy protein choices like corn dogs! :)

36 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2010

hahah I used to have to sit at the table until I finished them too…then I realized if I gave them to my dog I would get away faster lol

37 Jessica February 24, 2010

poptarts had NOTHING on toaster strudels…but my sister would eat all of the icing packets when mom bought them so I always had them plain…haha

38 Christie http://rollerkoesterrun.wordpress.com/ February 22, 2010

Little Debbies were amazing- especially the Swiss Cake Rolls- they are so sinful ;)

I was a big sugar/candy kid: Lik-a-Maid, pixy stix

Just wanted to take a sec to thank you for your blog. I just made my first Green Monster thanks to you!!!!!

~Christie

39 Maya February 22, 2010

My mom used to make my sliced banana with sour cream, brown sugar, and cinnamon on occasion, which I loved. I also really liked yogurt and banana! I used to nibble at Kraft singles (the square yellow plastic cheese!) like a mouse

40 Sarah February 22, 2010

I loved the cheese sticks that had mozzarella and cheddar twisted together. And fun dip which Mama Pea completely hated on but I loved the artificial chemical sugary powder.

41 Ameena February 22, 2010

Definitely Chips Ahoy, Chips Deluxe and Magic Middles! So so so good!! Oh and Fritos were my favorite chips ever.

42 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2010

I must also add (thanks to you all reminding me!) Lik a maids, Pop tarts, and those puff cookies. :D

43 Katie February 22, 2010

I really can’t believe the things I used to eat…Oreos by the 6-pack, ramen noodles, fruit rollups, tons of white pasta and NO VEGGIES! I cringe at the thought of eating this diet now.

44 Samantha February 22, 2010

Love this post!! I loved goldfish, gushers, pringles, peanut butter sandwiches(no jelly), mac n cheese and tortilla chips with melted cheese on the top!!! YUM!!! Basically fruit snacks were the best!

45 Barbara February 22, 2010

Love this trip down memory lane…

I was all over the atomic fireballs,sour patch kids,Cookie crunch,halava,oatmeal cream pies,apple fritters,rock candy and of course to this day..PB and J:)

B

46 thedelishdish February 22, 2010

i was obsessed with fruit full ups!! they were my absolute favorite. also loved the crazy sour war-heads and sour patch kids…ohh to be a kid again!

47 Kristy February 22, 2010

Oh my gosh! I cannot imagine you eating any of those things!! I have ALWAYS thought cheese-whiz was SO gross! LOVE the size healthy…what a great concept :)

48 Katie @ Health for the Whole Self February 22, 2010

I used to LOVE the Barnum’s animal crackers – the ones that came in a little box!!!

49 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday February 22, 2010

Huge chunks of homemade salami with cheese. Mmmm.

50 EaterNotARunner February 22, 2010

Just peanut butter on white bread! Or Fluffernutters….yum!

51 Addict February 22, 2010

Oreos. Cookies and Cream Ice Cream. Sour Skittles. Sour Jelly Beans. Snickers. and the weird one… Ovaltine :-)

My mom would put Ovaltine in warm milk for me to fall asleep… yum. but who am I kidding? I still LOVE these foods even as an adult!

52 Anne P February 22, 2010

Oooo gushers were the best!!! I also loved penny swedish fish and those atomic fire ball things, hehe. Still have them every once in awhile ;)

53 Jules @ eatdrinklivelearn February 22, 2010

I used to LOVE PB Max candy bars…and Tato Skins! (The real ones, not the TGI Fridays substitute they sell now.) :)

54 Danielle (Coffee Run) February 22, 2010

Oh my gosh that toast looks amazingggggg :D I also loved PB sandwiches as a kid, and the little debbie snack cakes, and fruit gushers!

55 Meghan@traveleatlove February 22, 2010

Oh my gosh. . . I used to eat much of that list and reading it make me kind of ill now! lol

56 Holly February 22, 2010

What a fun topic! I could eat packages of little debbie swiss cake rolls and oatmeal cream pies at a time (and did!). Loved the fruit roll ups/fruit by the foot/gushers, too. I always wanted my mom to buy apple jacks as a kid- but she wouldn’t buy sugar-y cereals. Obviously Oreos, and the keebler elf cookies- yummmm.

57 Sarah Ikegami February 22, 2010

Oh my goodness, we had the SAME childhood! All of these things were staples for me, so hard to believe if you looked in my pantry now…although, I have never had penny candy….oh, I LOVE sauteed bananas, I have them almost daily! Bananas are so inexpensive, I guess they are MY penny candy, ha!

58 Jacquie February 22, 2010

I used to love cheez whiz on Ritz crackers, buttered popcorn, chocolate donuts for breakfast, Skittles, Kraft macaroni and cheese, chewy Chips Ahoy cookies. Its funny because as much as I loved these back then, by college, I didn’t eat any of them purely because I didn’t want to, except for maybe popcorn. Funny how our taste changes!

59 Kelly Michelle February 22, 2010

yum, I actually make that all the time just not on bread! I grill up the banana until it is so gooey and caramelized and then just add the AB and jelly, who needs bread?

60 Katie February 22, 2010

Chocolate Milk Powder. When no one was watching I’d take a big spoon of it and shove it in my mouth and take off. I cringe at the thought now but that was about as close to “junk” as I got as a kid because my brother was a diabetic which meant no fun sugary things in the house.

61 Elisabeth February 22, 2010

I loved Twizzlers, Pop Rocks, Life Savers Swirl Pops, Hostess Orange Cupcakes…Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies, Cheetos. So much junk! I love vanilla ice cream with chocolate chip cookies broken up, and then I’d stir it all into a Flurry. =)

62 Elisabeth February 22, 2010

Loved. =)

63 Jenn @ Livewellfit February 22, 2010

I have fully, 100% embraced size healthy. It was just as liberating for me to cover the tags with HEALTHY. It represents MY unique journey and my efforts in becoming a more balanced and healthy woman. I hope others can respect this challenge.

Ok, fav snacks:

Lucky Charms- dry!
Pop Tarts- brown sugar cinnamon
Tortilla with melted butter, cinnamon and sugar on top
Mini pizzas on english muffins
Toast with butter and peanut butter
Oreos dipped in milk
Cheese whiz…I admit, I did it too! That stuff is scary.
Special K with bananas n milk
Fruit roll ups!!
NERDS
Skittles
Pop Rocks
Sour Patch Kids
Jello everything

64 Kris February 22, 2010

Ah Caramels!!! Oh the memories :)

Remember how we would eat Lucky Charms, I mean the marshmallows in Lucky Charms??

lol

Grilled cheese sandwiches, Juniors, Lik-a-Maid, Nerds, half eaten cookies….Good times!!!

65 Sarah R February 22, 2010

My husband and I were just talking about Gusher’s the other day. He was a Little Debbie guy, although his favorite were the oatmeal cream pies and the star crunch. I was more of a Doritos and salsa kind of girl.

66 lindsey February 22, 2010

gushers! oh gosh! Snowballs, fudge rounds.. cheese whiz squirted onto doritos…
you should make it a challenge/your mission to find healthy vegan alternatives to your childhood favorites, just like you did with the recipe in this post – that would be so fun!
cheesewhiz = thickened nutritional yeast “cheese”? heh.

67 Paige (Running Around Normal) February 22, 2010

OH man that toast looks amazing!! I’ve never fried my own bananas!
I can totally relate to loving everything junk food but only having it at friends houses! My mom used to have cut up fruit on the table every single day, so I was totally used to that. I didn’t understand why my friends got so excited to eat fresh fruit. I got excited because they had cookie jars full of oreos and pop tarts in the pantry! Haha – only now do I see :)

68 Ashlei February 22, 2010

I used to love pb&j, grilled cheese sandwiches, mac and cheese, Wendy’s frosties with fries, and my mamaw’s biscuits with butter and jam.

I need to give your new take on toast a try! It looks so good <3

69 Jessica February 24, 2010

Wendy frostie and fries def. a College staple

70 lindsay February 22, 2010

my dad used to make us fried peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Just like grilled cheese style. So good with milk! ahh…..miss it!
LC

71 Heather (Heather's Dish) February 22, 2010

oh man, i loved it all! grilled cheese, mac n cheese, pizza, hot pockets, snickers, milky way, oreos…just imagine what’s not good for you, and that’s what i liked ;)

72 Meg's Gut February 22, 2010

Wow. I used to love dunkaroo’s..and those chewy sugary gummies that came in snack packs…i loved those crackers with the processed cheese in the packs that you spread, along with pop tarts (which i was only allowed to get for camp) and mcdonalds happy meals (now i couldn’t even imagine ordering from mcdonalds, gross!)

73 Megan @ Healthy Hoggin February 22, 2010

I loved McDonald’s hamburgers with no bun– Atkin’s style! (GROSS!!!) I hated pizza, mac & cheese, and spaghetti (unlike the rest of my friends), but I would eat Cheerios like crazy! I loved PLAIN veggies and mashed bananas. And I remember loving fruit roll ups!

Now, I don’t eat meat, and I love almost anything with tomato sauce! Still love Cheerios, too, but not with cow’s milk! (yuck)

74 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman February 22, 2010

I still love pb&j. It’s a super fast lunch when you’re crunched for time. Growing up, it was ham and cheese with yellow mustart, Big League Chew, pizza bagels, Nerds, and Pops cereal. Makes me nostalgic!

75 Julie @SavvyEats February 22, 2010

Mac and cheese (Kraft), E.L. Fudge cookies, butterfinger blizzards at D.Q., and PB and bananas on waffles. Or PB & ice cream on a waffle…

76 Jolene February 22, 2010

I loved cheese and crackers, mac and cheese, blizzards, ice cream, chocolate bars, and chips!!!

77 Emily February 22, 2010

In my grade school years I used to beg my mom to buy fruit roll ups and pop tarts. She never really did, but whenever I came across them they were a huge treat that I loved. I also have to admit I am still a big fan of Little Debbies oatmeal cream pies- they’re just too good. Kraft mac and cheese, but I think I always preferred the Velveeta brand with the squeezable yellow cheese goop. I’m glad I outgrew that phase. E-Z cheese (aka cheese whiz) was also good on ritz or club crackers

78 AGS February 22, 2010

What a funny, fun post. I must have been weird as a kid, but I never craved “junk” foods per se. I remember begging my Mom to get my brother and me freezer dinners, because all our friends ate them (I can’t believe I asked for this, considering my Mom would sometimes make 3 course dinners for us!). She purchased them, finally, and we tried them and HATED them.

My/our (my brother’s, too) favorite was Friday night when we got homemade pizza and SODA — which we only had that one night. We always had homemade cookies in the house, and we like spinach dip on rye crackers. We also both liked doughnuts, which my Dad sometimes got for us on Wednesday mornings. Sheesh, we must have been CRAZY as kids, because we just didn’t eat/want junk food.

79 jen February 22, 2010

well, i’m a phily girl, so i grew up on tastykakes. c’mon pa and jersey kids, ya know you still buy em at wawa.

peanut butter kandy kakes = white cake circles with a layer of peanut butter and covered with chocolate

jelly krimpets and butterscotch krimpets = sponge cakes with raspberry jelly gobs or a thick layer of butterscotch icing

oh, and their insanely awesome cupcakes = chocolate with a glob of white cream inside with buttercream icing with a big chocolate icing stripe.

drool!

80 Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle February 22, 2010

I LOVED pigs in a blanket! My grandma always made those for us. Up until I was 12 or so, I hated any kind of nut butter (talk about changing taste buds!!!!), and would have butter and jelly sandwiches!

81 Adam February 23, 2010

Hah, i must say this is one fantastic post! Oh god, my childhood eats were pretty healthy most of the time but when i got to have a “treat dinner” as my sister and i used to call them, it would be so much fun! I can remember going to get a treat at the local grocery after soccer practices as well. Does no one remember fizzies? They were amazing! lol… I was a little weirdo. I loved mushrooms sauteed in loads of olive oil, i would eat those along side gigantic pb & j’s on thick texas toast. Cereal was definitely Honey bunches of oats every morning. That or strawberry banana bran muffins. We were never allowed to buy much, therefor home-made goodies were a must. I used to have an easy bake oven that both my sister and i got for christmas one year as well, we shared it, but i think i ended up breaking it trying to make toast… ;) haha

82 Cassandra February 23, 2010

I was the worst with my snacks growing up!! as for my veggies, I used to sit at the table for hours, and if I didn’t eat my vegetables that night, I had to eat them for breakfast :(

I used to love Fun dip, Sour Straws, Sour Patch, These giant pink and blue sugar loli-pops. Hiagandaz Ice cream, the list I have is endless awfulness, that I look back and think I can’t believe that’s all I used to eat. But I also guess that’s why I can’t eat any of it now. I’m corn-free, so no candy, so fun. I love my peas, spinach, and tomatoes. But how I wish there was an easier way.

– Happy Monday :)

83 Alyson @ Nourished Fitness February 23, 2010

ah love this! My favorite foods were: Cheese Toast (whole wheat toast with brewer’s yeast and cheddar cheese – my mom’s a vegetarian) and Top Ramen. I was such a picky eater, it took hours for me to finished my vegetables before I was allowed to get dessert :p

84 Carole February 23, 2010

Boy, I really had to think – but I’m older, so its really buried, ya know? I used to love –
Milkshakes – chocolate or strawberry
Cheddar cheese or colby cheese
Mustard – I would eat mustard sandwiches
salami
bacon – lots and lots of bacon!
pistacchios
strawberry shortcake
Belgium waffles with strawberries and whipped cream and bacon
pancakes and bacon
BLTs
barbecue potato chips
deli dill pickles – the big ones!
corned beef on rye with mustard
chocolate cream pie
banana cream pie
coconut cream pie
cheesecake plain, or with chocolate chips, or strawberries, or blueberries

I was never big on cereal. I don’t like milk.

There used to be fruit rolls when I was a kid, but they tasted way different from the fruit roll ups of today. My favorite was apricot.

I’ve never been real fond of preapred foods. I swear it tastes like chemicals to me.

Your PB & grilled banan toast looks awesome. I’ll have to try that!

85 Tory February 23, 2010

I’m of a different age, my memories of treats were dad’s cookies(chocolate chip ones), black licorice, used as straws for drinking milk from lunch thermos. Kraft sliced cheese sandwich with Campbell’s tomato soup, little packs of sunmaid raisins, penny candy from the corner store, later on twinkies and ding dongs. Frozen tv dinners for special treat night, loved the fake mashed potatoes, homemade rice krispies. Breakfast was single serve oatmeal with brown sugar or cream of wheat with white sugar, nothing really healthy at all.

86 liane February 23, 2010

oh man, there are soooo many items to list.
I remember that one of my babysitters would have soft, chewy white bread and make me creamed honey sandwiches. Seriously. best ever.
I would trek to the corner store (I lived at the top of a steep hill/mountain so it really was a trek) for penny candy and pretty much everything else mentioned above.
At home, my mom was an all star baker, so there was always fresh cookies, muffins, cakes around. And my dad has seriously the worst sweet tooth ever. I cringe nowadays just thinking about it!

Oh,and mac and cheese and grilled cheese. Couldn’t get enough.

Somewhere along the line I lost my sweet tooth and found my one true love- spice! pretty much, now it’s hot/spicy all the time. Honestly, nothing junk food wise can compare!

87 deisegirl February 23, 2010

I remember as a child seeing someone on a TV programme asking for “peanut butter & jelly” sandwiches (it was DJ from Roseanne!!) and thinking the combination sounded crazy. I don’t think I ever even ate peanut butter until I was around 16. Then that was it, I was a goner :(

88 Jennie {in Wonderland} February 23, 2010

I used to love peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches – don’t gag, they were wonderful! Although my parents were not impressed at all and tried to take them away from me, lol.

Also:

Plain tortilla chips with cheese and salsa. Basically, nachos, but I hated sour cream and guacamole [oh how things change!]

Cinnamon Toast Crunch with lots of milk

Toaster Strudels!!! OMG… those little packets of fake icing they came with. Like crack.

Cheez Whiz on english muffins… I would probably still eat this if someone hadn’t told me Cheez Whiz is GREY before they dye it in the lab!

Potato chips – of course. Mainly barbeque or sour cream and onion.

Corn chips like Doritos.

Peanut butter/jam sandwich with a mug of hot chocolate on the side. STILL my favourite comfort food.

PS: You know I NEVER liked white bread? My Mum said I used to tell her it looked like paper. At least I can be proud of that!! ha ha

89 Lynda February 23, 2010

Cheez Whiz is GREY before they dye it in the lab…

You just cured me of my love for Cheez Whiz :) thanks

90 Jane February 23, 2010

I loved pork chops and mushroom soup. Don’t miss eating them now….have been a vegetarian for 9 yrs.

91 Maureen February 23, 2010

My mom used to make cheese dreams you made them with half a hamburger bun, cheeses whiz and bacon and then they were grilled in the oven. We thought they were great but now I do not think I could look at them. A penny candy I wish I could still find are mo jos a little spearment candy that were chewy and they were 2 for a penny.

92 Lex @ sweettoothlex February 23, 2010

Oh my lordy – my tastebuds fired up when I read about bonkers! I used to LOVE those magical candies with the two toned “”””””fruit””””” flavors!!

Your list is pretty much what my list is – sweets sweets sweets (helllo, sweet tooth lex!!) – and of course, cheese whiz! haha!

I also used to love pop tarts un toasted! oh my – those were SOME crazy days!

93 Christy February 23, 2010

Your childhood food list definitely brings back memories!! I loved pigs in a blanket, Kraft mac ‘n cheese, and cinnamon sugar pop-tarts! Haha :)

94 Kate February 23, 2010

Oh my gosh, what a fun question! I used to love Cheez-Whiz on Ritz crackers, cheese and butter sandwiches (cold), Fruit Roll-Ups, and Honey Nut Cheerios! I can’t remember the last time I had Honey Nut Cheerios. Might have to go buy some at the store now!

95 Judy February 23, 2010

I have actually always loved veggies, even as a kid. But that didn’t mean I didn’t love sweets!

Suzy Qs (the whoopie pies from Heather Kaminsky’s My Sweet Vegan are a great substitute!)
Cadbury eggs
Snickers
Bugles
Pop tarts

These are all things I no longer eat because I make stuff that tastes so much better! Altho I bet I wouldn’t turn down a few Bugles.

I never had Kraft Mac & Cheese — or even a grilled cheese, for that matter — til I went to college. My mom didn’t make that stuff.

96 Angela @ A Healthy Fit February 23, 2010

I use to love fruit roll ups, pixie sticks, berry berry kix, kraft mac & creese, and 7 layer burritos from Taco Bell. Ugh, just thinking of that food makes me sick now.

As someone with a fixation on feeling like I always need to lose more weight, I am 100% behind size healthy. I felt totally liberated after writing size healthy on my pants. http://2bahealthyfit.com/2010/02/18/does-size-matter/

97 Ashley February 23, 2010

fruit roll ups all the way! and GUSHERS! the thing was, when i was younger i was really allergic to red food dye, but red was my favorite flavor… and i would sneak eating the red candies, and i would get caught because it made me throw up. haha. oh my

98 Diana February 23, 2010

AHHHHH CARAMEL!
Bonkers!
I haven’t thought about those snacks in ages! Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
Diana

99 Lindsay February 23, 2010

I used to love fruits and veggies! especially pears (which I am not a big fan of now..weird). Anyway, as far as snack foods go I LOVED hostess snow balls, kit kats and mini pizzas! I also loved eggo waffles… yum..

100 Jenny February 23, 2010

I loved Lucky Charms – I would pick out all the marshmallows. I also loved Toaster Strudles! The icing packets were so much fun! I actually did eat some of my veggies – my dad would try to make it fun and called broccoli “trees.” Thanks for bringing back memories, Angela!

101 Ellie February 23, 2010

OMG, just by reading everybody’s comments and Angie’s list to I remember all the junk I used to love as a kid, many of which I would not come near now! hahaha… I just loved:

– Eggo waffles with brown sugar AND maple syrup;
– Pillsbury strawberry strudels with that little white glaze;
– Strawberry Pop-tarts
– White toast with velveeta and strawberry jam
– Mini bagel pizzas
– Humpty Dumpty cheese sticks (OMG, I used to love having orange fingers after and just licking them…)
– Maywest
– and last but definitely not least: mini sausages wrapped in bacon and dip in velveeta!

OMG, re-reading my list makes me nauseous… It’s so funny how our taste for certain foods evolves… Thank god for mindful evolution! ;)

102 Molly @thevegandorm February 23, 2010

I always loved vegetables – didn’t love nuts or nut butter though! I remember going to baseball games where I would put the entire peanut (with the shell on!) in my mouth, suck off the salt, then spit it out. Gross haha!

103 Amy February 23, 2010

This is a great post! Crazy how our ideas change about food.
When I was little, my Mom used to toast bread, and cut it into tiny little squares (bite sized pieces) and melt some Cheez Wiz in the microwave, add a little bit of milk — Think chez wiz fondue! And i would dunk my little toast squares — with a fork — into the cheeze wiz! It was sooo good!!!

104 chandra h February 23, 2010

ohhh yea and those philly cream cheese cake things and HOT POCKETS! lol :)

105 Brooke February 23, 2010

I am working right now to get to a healthy wieght in a healthy way. I am under what I should be so when I did my “healthy size” tags I did not do it on my smaller pants that I know I will not fit in once I get to my healthy wieght. I know it will help so much when I am fitting properly into my “healthy size” pants to have “SIZE HEALTHY” written on my tags.

106 Morgan @ Healthy Happy Place February 23, 2010

I ate some gross stuff as a kid… mainly bologna and ketchup on white bread! I have no idea why I loved that stuff so much.

107 Jennie {in Wonderland} February 23, 2010

Ahh I remember another –

Wholegrain toast with raspberry or strawberry jam and smothered with cheddar cheese!

I ate that for DAYS in University. Also, I used to eat Triscuits with seafood sauce when I didn’t have any money.

108 Ellie February 23, 2010

OMG, I totally did the strawberry jam/cheddar cheese thing! LOVED it… :)

109 Teri [a foodie stays fit] February 23, 2010

I loved Golden Grahams cereal and Pasta Roni! hehe

110 Pie @ Life of Oats February 23, 2010

Ooooh I LOVED penny sweets!

In Germany you could get your pick n mix from the bakery and I remember going there all the time and getting my fave sweets, those included:

sour apple balls
Muscle candy (it’s a plastic muscle shell filled with candy which you lick, it’s the most absurd thing but as a kid I never questioned this haha)
Chewy strawberry gums
Edible paper

Then, this is the Korean in me, I used to eat potatoes mashed with sugar.
It’s something Korean children eat a lot and I used to do that a lot with my leftover potatoes, haha.

xxx

111 Gillian February 23, 2010

I was ADDICTED to raisins!! Every photo of me when I am a child, I have a red box of Sunkist raisins in hand. It was one of the few foods I would eat as a kid. I was a HORRIBLE picky eater!

112 Laura Georgina February 23, 2010

It’s so fun to think back on old snacking days! I loved Little Debbie Swiss Roll cakes (especially after a boring family trip to the grocery store), salami, Warheads sour candy and Tootsie Rolls, spam and velveeta sandwiches on white bread (crusts cut off!), and poached eggs (wouldn’t go NEAR one now).

113 ::christine:: February 23, 2010

Little Debbie made a Big Chrissy back in the day – LOL

114 Nikki T February 23, 2010

Bonkers!!! Wow, I almost forgot about those!
As a kid, as well as to this day, I’ve always had low iron and when I was too little to swallow vitamins or pills I had to take the supplment in liquid form (imagine: a black liquid that smells, and tastes like metal)- Y-U-K!
I always got a Bonker after swallowing the spoonful of nastiness!

Other faves were also Cheez Whiz sandwiches, lettuce and mayo sandwiches (ugh!), Bubbalious gum, Ketchup chips, cold coffee with LOTS of sugar and milk (thanks to my Italian Nana), Alphagetti, Tahiti Treat “juice”…among others I’m sure!

What a fun post! I love looking back at the past and seeing how much you change :)

115 Aoife February 23, 2010

Hee hee I hated veg too! And rice, HATED rice, now I love it! I basically loved anything deep-fried, white bread, chocolate spread, crips, chocolate…we rarely had junk food at home so when I got pocket money I’d buy lots. I was a skinny kid but by the time I got to 23 although my weight was fine my cholesterol was sky high! Hence the healthy eating turnaround…

116 skinnyrunner February 23, 2010

sugary cereals! with no fiber, no nutrition, just lots and lots of sugar.

117 Beth @ DiningAndDishing February 23, 2010

I was a pretzel fanatic when I was younger. I think because it was the closest thing to “junk” we were allowed in our house!

118 Janis February 23, 2010

Funny how all this junk food is giving me the warm fuzzies..
Here is my blast from the past

Cheezies
Balogna sandwiches with a mustard happyface (gross eh?)
rice with butter (just butter & bowls of it)
nerds
twizzlers
ketchup chips
hotlips & blue whales
Beep (might be a Sask thing, like 5alive)

Too many more, I could write all day!

119 Allison February 23, 2010

I always loved MOJO’s! the best store in the world for buying candy from when you were a kid that you can’t find in any other store, is Pine N Fancy. Not sure where they are all located, but we have a couple in Sask
I loved Nerds too, still do ha but don’t eat them ever. i had them last year for the first time in probably 10 years haha

POUTINES! such a canadian thing eh haha

120 OSGMOM February 23, 2010

Pepper & Jasmine were always in close proximity of you at dinner time! I was laughing thinking of how you would hide your veggies in the potato skins and think you were going to pull one over on me.

121 Mo February 23, 2010

What I lived on as a kid:
-Oscar Meyer hot dogs – straight from the fridge!
-American cheese and bologna, stacked and then wrapped.
-White bread, spread with butter and topped with white sugar.
-Ritz crackers with butter.
-Peanut butter and Fluff sandwiches… called a Fluffernutter.
-Entire pickels, straigth from the barrel at the deli. I still ove these!

I loved all of that so much! Is it any wonder that I am now vegan?! Now I treat myself with Sour Patch Kids – YUMMY!

122 Laura @ Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness February 23, 2010

Wow, a time when Angela hated vegetables? The horror! :-)

My favorites as a kid:
– Grilled Cheese made with plastic-y American Cheese (ew!)
– Fruit by the Foot
– Dunk-a-roos
– Cheese & crackers snack packs with the little plastic knife to spread the cheese
– Oscar Meyer Olive loaf (baloney with green olives)
– Cheese bread “Dunkers” – like a pizza without sauce, and with a little bowl of sauce in the middle
– “Beefy Nacho” day at the school cafeteria
It’s fun to reminisce, but these are making me gag a bit too!

123 Jess - The Domestic Vegan February 23, 2010

I really love this Size Healthy idea! You’re the best, Angela. Always full of great ideas! :)

Jeez, what DIDN’T I like as a kid?! ;-) My parents fed us pretty healthy (as healthy as they knew how, for sure) – but I still loved the junk when I was allowed to eat it!

Favorites that come to mind:
-Twix bars
-Soda (and lots of it)
-Cereal cereal cereal (the more sugar, the better)
-String cheese
-Root beer floats
-Hot Tamales
-Pizza Hut deep-dish

I have to say… Spaghetti Sandwich actually sound amazing. Haha.

124 Jess - The Domestic Vegan February 23, 2010

Ooooh! Fruit by the Foot! I LOVED those! And Gushers! And Capri Sun juice boxes! I also loved Lunchables & Twinkies.

125 Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) February 23, 2010

I actually HATED pb&j as a kid, now that looks incredible to me! I LOVED mac n cheese (anything pasta or cheese, really!), dunkaroos, ritz crackers and cream cheese, fruit juice (esp. grapefruit!), cap’n crunch and pop tarts!

xo
K

126 Rachel February 23, 2010

pop-tarts and spaghetti-o’s!

127 ::christine:: February 23, 2010

strawberry. no frosting please :D

128 Jessica @ The Process of Healing February 23, 2010

That sandwich looks soo good!!
And I used to eat the same.. pb&j, cheese wiz, grilled cheese, fruit roll ups, fruit loops, fruity pebbles, pop-tarts, spaghetti-os, dunkaroos, lunchables,… good ole days!

129 ::christine:: February 23, 2010

PENNY CANDY *dies* for me it was all about SWEDISH FISH – “25 cents worth of fish” I’d say peaking over a counter… gosh remember walking to the candy store..

Chunky Candy Bars

Bosco chocolate syrup

Hated! Mac & Cheese and PBJ – can you believe that? I had to become an adult to like both =)

130 Allison February 23, 2010

I would dominate and entire box of Kraft Mac & Cheese… within 15 minutes easy.

Other faves:
sugar sanwiches (wonder bread w/ butter and white sugar folded in half!!) WTF!?!
Nutty Bars
Quaker PB chocolate chewy granola bars
CHEETOES!

131 Angela (ohsheglows) February 23, 2010

Bahahah sugar sandwiches!!!!!!! i used to do that!

132 Jennie {in Wonderland} February 23, 2010

OMG! My friend and I used to eat bread with butter and sugar! We were so disgusting! I’m excited that we’re not the only ones.

133 Kat February 23, 2010

I LOVE this post! Ha ha I totally believe you were into pizza/pb&J!!

As for little Kat, you could give me McDonald’s Pancakes ANY day :P
And my mom made some interesting addictive inventions: Fried noodles with lots of salt and cottage cheese, and baked open-faced pickle+Kraft single sandwich. Oh, Kraft singles. What are you made of?!

Best best!
– Kat

134 Lauren February 23, 2010

My favorite snack was always anything pickle related. Especially pickle chips! But um, I actually drank some pickle juice than morning, so I’m not sure if it’s considered a childhood thing if I still do it!

135 Angela (ohsheglows) February 23, 2010

mmm pickle chips

136 Lynda February 23, 2010

I always loved cheeze whiz and still probably do but I don’t buy it because I know i would eat it. I heard that cheeze whiz is one process away from becoming plastic! mmm mmm mmm plastic :)

137 Jocelyn February 23, 2010

When I was little my mother used to give me really bad food! My lunches were always packed with Chips, fruit roll ups, chewy bars etc but once I became old enough (and I was also a dancer) I learned more about veggies. Can’t wait to have my own kids and teach them about health right fromv the beginning!

138 Ruth February 23, 2010

This is going to sound awful, but I used to like to dip slices of cheddar cheese into cheese salsa! I don’t even think I’d like it now, and I don’t dare try it… so much fat, salt, and calories!

139 Dan February 23, 2010

Penny candies were awesome. On those rare days that my mom would hand us (I have 4 brothers) a quarter on our way back from lunch we would spring for the bigfoot gummies. What happened? Has anyone been to a 7-11 lately? They were stuck in some sort of shrinking machine because I seriously remember them being at least 50% larger than what they are now. They’re just ‘feet’ now.

Oh and don’t even get me started on the old ‘zesty’ Dorito chips- those things were awesome. They had SO much cheese powder stuff on them they were wet. I can’t even look at the ‘new’ zesty chips now….*shakes fist*

I’m getting too worked up. Somebody pass me a Popeyes candied cigarette please.

140 Angela (ohsheglows) February 23, 2010

ahhhh zesty doritos!!!! yesssssssssssssssssssssss.

141 Jennie {in Wonderland} February 24, 2010

Yes! The new Zesty Doritos [I had them in 2006, lol, I fondly remember it!] are not zesty at all! I remember when I was in Junior High, we used to eat Zesty Doritos by the bag and your fingers would be orange from all the ‘cheez’ powder on them! Those things were like crack. No longer.

142 Tracey @ TropicalHappiness February 23, 2010

Twinkies… mmmmmmm-mmmmmm….

Double stuff oreos, although I’m still guilty of eating those occasionally! They are good dipped in milk, but even better dipped in coffee!!! YUM!

I love the idea of SIZE HEALTHY. I think that each person just needs to think about it with a grain of salt– and use it if it works for them. Am I SIZE HEALTHY right now? No. I’m a small size, but I’m not quite healthy as I haven’t been working out and eating right as much as I should. However, I DO love my body, no matter what the size, and that is what this is all about. :)

143 Diana @ frontyardfoodie February 23, 2010

I loved bean burritos cooked in the oven, mac and cheese, carrots and ranch and of course sour cream and onion chips.

Funny, I didn’t care much for sweets and now that I’m pregnant I’m craving all the foods I grew up with in between the morning sickness!

144 Patrice February 23, 2010

Two words: Koala Yummies. Those koala-shaped graham cracker/cookie guys filled with chocolate. I don’t even think they’re sold anymore!

145 Jil February 23, 2010

I was obsessssssed with Gushers. haha Definitely no fruit in there but they were yummy. haha :) Also — Dunkaroos were a fave of mine. haha

146 Bea February 23, 2010

We almost always had healthy food around the house. My parents wouldn’t really buy junkfood. But sometimes we would find these pretzel nuggets stuffed with peanut butter that I would love. For a healthy snack, I’d snack on apples and cheese. Even today, I really love Nutella on some melba toast.

147 Emily February 23, 2010

I am still obsessed with penny candy, except it never costs a penny these days! Its like a quarter plus tax! You think you’re going in for ten cents worth of candy, and end up spending $5 hahaha

148 casey February 23, 2010

Smores pop tarts, pepperoni and cheese sandwiches, root beer floats, dd munchkins, middlesworth bbq chips, kraft mac and cheese with cut up hot dogs, lunchables (gross!), and handisnacks

149 Jennifer February 26, 2010

I would eat Goober Grape right out of the jar! It was wonderful.

150 Rose June 26, 2010

Kind of a late reply… Used to eat Ham & Cheese Hot Pockets and Pepperoni Hot Pockets at my Grammy’s house. She also always had Kudos bars (chewy granola bars covered in chocolate) and Mother’s Circus Animals cookies (animal crackers covered in pink and white frosting and sprinkles). My sis and I would walk to the corner store and buy Hostess DingDongs. Don’t eat any of that stuff now LOL