Hot Lips, Cheese Whiz, and Ah Caramels

Hello :) Hope you have had a great Monday!

First, I wanted to talk a bit about Size Healthy.

The reason I did Size Healthy was because I struggled with the size on my tags for years. I let the size on my tag (and other numbers) define how I felt about my body and about myself.

Writing Size Healthy on my tags was one of the most liberating things I have ever done because it finally represented symbolically that I was letting go of what I struggled with for many years and occasionally to this day.

I don’t claim that it will be appropriate for everyone. Not everyone is currently at their Size Healthy and some of you are not bothered by numbers on a tag. I get that!

This was created for people who have had struggles with basing self-worth on a number. Those who, despite being at a healthy weight, struggle with the desire to lose more and more weight. Those of us who have never been happy with our bodies despite being perfectly healthy otherwise.

Size Healthy represents being happy about where you are right now and knowing that your efforts day in and day out should be applauded. Whether you are naturally a size 0 or a size 12, writing Size Healthy on your tag is a small reminder each day that you are doing your best to live a healthy and balanced life.

Size Healthy Around The Blog World:

And now for a twist on a childhood favourite…

IMG 1347 thumb   Hot Lips, Cheese Whiz, and Ah Caramels

Nut Butter, jam, & grilled banana on toast

I first saw grilled bananas on Healthy Tipping Point and I thought it was right up my alley. I decided to create a spin off of the PB & J Sandwich of my youth.

Ingredients:

• Ezekiel bread, toasted
  • 1 banana, cut into slices and grilled in frying pan until browned
  • Nut butter (I used almond butter in this one)
  • Jam (I used organic strawberry)

Directions: Slice up a banana and grill on low-med in a lightly greased frying pan until browned. Toast bread and spread with nut butter and jam. Take grilled banana and place over top. Enjoy!

IMG 1351 thumb   Hot Lips, Cheese Whiz, and Ah Caramels

The grilled bananas really made this pop! Much, much tastier than just placing a fresh banana on top. I burned my banana a bit (ok, ok, I scorched it!) and it gave it such a deep flavour.

IMG 1338 thumb   Hot Lips, Cheese Whiz, and Ah Caramels

Foods You Used To Love As A Child:

Yesterday I was talking with a girlfriend about snack foods we loved as children.

Here are some snack foods I used to love as a child:

• Peanut Butter and Jam sandwich on white bread (classic!)
  • Cheese Whiz sandwich (I used to LOVE Cheese Whiz as a kid)
  • Little Debbie Snack Cakes: Swiss Cake Rolls, Zebra Cakes, Fudge brownies
  • Ah Caramels
  • Kraft Dinner
  • Fruit By the Foot, Fruit Roll-ups, Gushers (let’s be real there is no fruit in those things!)
  • Cotton Candy Ice Cream (the blue swirl = amazing!)
  • Bubblegum ice cream
  • Starburst/Skittles (go hand in hand)
  • Kool-Aid
  • PENNY CANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (100 pieces for $1 buck = jackpot!) Sour Patch Kids, Big Foot, Hot Lips, etc…
  • Anything in a juice box ;)
  • Salt and Vinegar chips
  • Pigs in a Blanket (OSGMOM was the coolest mom on the block when she made these!)
  • Mr. P’s Frozen Pizzas (used to be 99 cents!!!)
  • Bonkers- the original, not when they brought it back in the late 90’s (sign the bring back petition…LOL)
  • Spaghetti Sandwich (I used to take a dinner roll, stuff it with spaghetti + sauce)

We actually rarely had these snacks foods in the house, but I used to envy my friends who had them and would eat them whenever I could!

I asked my mom about snack foods I loved as a kid and this is what she said, “You will laugh at this…you didn’t like veggies much. You loved sweets, pizza, peanut butter & jam sandwiches, and mac & cheese.”

I clearly remember the days of taking my veggies and feeding them to our dog underneath the dinner table!! I also used to have to sit at the table until I finished my veggies. Sometimes I would hide them in potato skins thinking my mom would never notice! hahah…good times! ;)

Isn’t it funny how our tastes change and evolve?

Tell me what snack foods YOU loved as a kid…I’m sure I am forgetting a TON of them I used to eat. I can’t wait to reminisce with all of you… :mrgreen:

Updates:

Angela Signature thumb28   Hot Lips, Cheese Whiz, and Ah Caramels

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg February 22, 2010

lol– those were all the foods I wanted SO badly as a kid!!! My parents were health nuts, so we were lucky if we got graham crackers and fig newtons. Of course, I appreciate their health mission now, but as a kid, I just wanted Gushers and Oreos like all the other kids!

Liz February 22, 2010

Cheez whiz sandwich?! What! My mom wouldn’t even let the stuff in the house, ironically she would allow me to eat mayonnaise sandwiches tho, which as I type out sounds way worse than good ol fashion cheese whiz :)

caitlin February 22, 2010

my mom and i used to take frozen oreos and smear PB inside them and then smash two together and eat them… ohmigod. i need to bring that back ASAP.

Heather (Where's the Beach) February 22, 2010

The toast looks sooo good. I used to LOVE bubble gum ice cream too. I also like the Little Debbie’s Zebras (not sure what the exact name was) and the jelly rolls. I also loved Cheetos and cheese puffs (still love ‘em, just won’t buy them). Oh junk food!

Anna February 22, 2010

I was actually a huge veggie lover as a kid. I would accept the brownies and other treats that my relatives would give me at parties but sneak over to the veggie tray to scarf down baby carrots and red pepper strips. At least that’s the story that my mom tells, but given my love for plants, it doesn’t surprise me!

Now, this doesn’t mean I didn’t have a great fondness for food that really wasn’t food at all – Dunkaroos, Lunchables, Fruit Roll Ups, Pillsbury sticky buns. If I ever see any of this in the store I immediately get taken back to 4th grade lunch!

Laura February 22, 2010

Being a typical Aussie, I loved Vegemite and Butter between Salada Crackers, nice and thick so when you squeezed it, it came through the holes in the biscuit like little worms :)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 22, 2010

OMG!! I totally did this too!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2010

hehe yup…just with cheese whiz and not vegemite ;)

Laura February 22, 2010

Thats awesome Lisa, did you have Milo Sandwiches too?

Lizzie February 22, 2010

SO good – also good with Saos!!

Lizzie February 22, 2010

Hmmm . . where to start?

Vegemite – with cheese, lettuce, just plain on toast, with butter on sandwich

Sausage and tomato sauce sandwiches. Devon (kind of like bologona) and tomato sauce sandwiches.

In high school for a year I was obsessed with prawn chips (deep fried Chinese style chips that may or may not actually have any prawn in them . . but there is a prawn flavour!)

Lamingtons (on occasion -basically yellow cake with cream in the middle rolled in chocolate and coconut).

Fresh grain bread with butter. Bread. Bread. Bread.

cheesesticks

salt and vinegar chips (even better on a vegemite and cheese sandwich!)

Kraft processed cheese (could only have this when I stayed at my friend’s house as my mum wouldn’t buy it).

Swiss rolls (sponges rolled up with jam in the middle).

Cheezels (ring shaped cheese flavoured chips).

Anything my mum/nana made – chocolate cake, peppermint chocolate slice, lemon delicious, buttersotch pudding, fairy cakes (like cupcakes)

Having looked at this list, I think the only things I eat regularly are cheese, bread (grain, wholemeal). But I treat myself where applicable to some of the other things (all homemade, so I know what’s in them!). But now I am hungry and homesick for my childhood :)

Meredith February 22, 2010

I loved the sugary breakfast cereals.. trix, cinnamon toast crunch, french toast crunch, captain crunch, pebbles, etc.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2010

I forgot about CAPTAIN CRUNCH…it was only good with the crunch berries in it tho!!!

Brooke February 22, 2010

I loved the crunch berries. I remember picking them out of the box and before you knew it the whole box was just captian crunch :)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 22, 2010

What a great looking sammie!
I loved cheese sandwiches when I was a kid – haha and still do!

Cassie February 22, 2010

HMM…Apparently as an infant/toddler I ate cottage cheese like it was nobody’s business. I hated it a few years ago..and now don’t mind it! Funny, huh?
I also LOOVEEEDD peanut butter & banana sandwiches. So, so good. (Still do! ;) ) LOL it’s hard trying to think!
Ham & cheese sandwiches. Straight up. No veggies. I also liked plain jam sandwiches, (all on white of course. I remember when mom tried to introduce whole grain bread for the first time–I thought the seeds and grains were REPULSIVE! Now it’s the other way around :P)
For cookies I LOVED Mr.Christie DREAM PUFF cookies. I’m pretty sure I was willing to do ANYTHING for one! On that note, i’m sure anything from Mr.Christie was well appreciated in my books ;)
i’ll have to ask my parents what some of my favourite stuff was!

Laura February 22, 2010

Following on from the Laura above, although from New Zealand and not Australia, I used to love “mousetraps”, which was white bread spread with vegemite and topped with cheese, microwaved for one minute, so the cheese melted and the crust got all crisp and chewy.

Darn you, adult gluten intolerance!

I also used to love having breakfast at McDonalds for a treat – hash browns, hot chocolate and a bacon and egg muffin with the bacon removed. That was probably foreshadowing of removing red meat from my diet in my teens! In summer, I used to love getting softserve vanilla ice cream with sprinkles from the ice cream truck; it used to stop by the lake where I spent every summer with my brother and cousins. And Mud Buckets, which were these awesome ice creams that came in a plastic cone and had a solid ball of chocolate in the bottom, about the size of a large marble. Hot chips with chicken salt and vanilla milkshakes with ice cream from the cafe. Cadbury Flake ice creams – possibly the most delicious thing ever. And Cadbury Black Forest chocolate – Dairy Milk chocolate with bits of cookie and raspberry gummy candy in it.

Can you tell that I had (erm, still have, actually) a horrible sweet tooth? :) I did also like things that weren’t 99% comprised of sugar. My mum used to make the most delicious cheese pancakes (crepes filled with a cheese sauce) and our go-to comfort food when we were sick was buttered white bread mashed up with a poached egg and milk. It sounds horrible, but wasn’t! And of course there were 2 Minute Noodles. I was addicted to eating those as an afterschool snack. While I watched Rugrats.

Nostalgia!

Melissa February 22, 2010

Somehow I hated peanut butter. Wouldnt go near it. I would have jelly sandwiches with the crust cut off. And needed pancakes DRENCHED in syrup. Its funny because I am the complete opposite now. LOVE peanut up and other savory things, and not so much sweets. I also loved grilled cheese and mac and cheese. That hasn’t changed and I never want it to :)

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker February 22, 2010

Love your list. I used to heart peanut butter cups, peanut butter M&Ms, peanut butter and fluff sandwiches (you see a pattern here???) . . . mac and cheese, pepperoni pizza (though I became vegetarian at age 12), and — like you — not many veggies!!! But I did eat peas.

Lauren February 22, 2010

I grew up on “fluffernutter” (PB + marshmallow fluff) sandwiches! So yummy :)

Janna (Just Flourishing) February 22, 2010

Ah! How fun.

Hm.. what did I love when I was younger…

I really liked plain white bread, spread with margarine and then brown sugar. Yikes! I like cheerios and french toast crunch.
I liked Kraft Dinner alot and dominos pizza. LOVED gushers and gummy bears. Hot dogs. Chicken fingers, sour soothers, fruit roll-ups and hot chocolate.

Cole February 22, 2010

Hmmm…Velveeta mac and cheese. Holy yum.

Estela @ Weekly Bite February 22, 2010

This is going to sound weird, but my mom would take the crusts off the bread, spread cream cheese inside and roll it up. It was so good :)

RawSierra February 22, 2010

Cheetos – and still to this day…I swear they have some type of addicting drug in them…waiting for a raw/vegan version…lol!

Tiffany @ A Dantat's Life February 22, 2010

my favorite lunch in elementary school was spaghetti-o’s in a thermos — they stayed hot until lunchtime and i was in heaven eating them!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 22, 2010

I LOVED things like handisnacks, dunkaroos, and gushers. Fruit roll ups were also on the list. Oh to be a kid again. ;)

Leena February 22, 2010

oh this is fun! there were SO MANY foods i loved as a kid, a lot of which are some you mentioned! i loved junk food as a kid… some of the things i loved i cannot believe! here are some of my favorites: easy cheez (the stuff in the can :P) sprayed on club crackers, dunkaroos, teddy grahams, goldfish and pretzels dipped in ketchup, cheez-its, cheddar chex mix… there’s so much more! oh – and i used to love toasted strudels too! my dad would always draw me little pictures with the frosting, and i had to guess what it was before i ate it!
i also used to eat lunchables, kid cuisine, and peanut butter and fluff sandwiches (on wonder bread of course!) all the time!
and my absolute favorite treat was when i went to my nana’s house for lunch – she made the best egg salad! we would have it spread on pringles! then, for dessert, we would always share a little debby’s swiss roll!
even though i loved my junk as a kid… i guess i always have had a heatlhy bone in me… probably from as young as 2, my favorite breakfast was oatmeal! yup! loved that stuff, and still do! it was instant, and had to be apples and cinnamon, but it was still oatmeal!!
childhood memories are so great!

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad February 22, 2010

I ate oatmeal creme pies, juicy juice boxes, capri suns, now and laters, neccos, fruit salad, lucky charms, sour patch kids….I surely hope I can keep my children from eating this stuff!

Eliza February 22, 2010

love the grilled banana and almond butter jam on toast, i must make this soon! :] and loved reading about your childhood favorite foods!…i was an odd child who LOved Veggies, and would get pizza and always get onions and spinach on it lol..my mom was into organic and health food, so i grew up eating pretty healthy, but i LOVED annies mac and cheese, that was my favorite! but i also loved jelly beans and all gummy candies..but i remember picking out only the coconut and vanilla and cotton candy flavored jelly beans out of the jar! and oddly i was a child that rarely had PBJ..i had tahini + honey sammies a lot, which i loved, hmmm lots more but i have seemed to have written a novel haha.

xx
Eliza

Kate B February 22, 2010

Thanks for putting my blog post on Size Healthy on your blog! I really respect you and it makes me happy to no end to see my blog link on your blog!

Thank you for introducing me to Size Healthy! It has really set free that last bit of insecurity that I was holding on to!

-Kate

Abby February 22, 2010

Dunkaroos!!!!

Also, I STILL love Penny candy! My husband I get some when we go to the mall. I let him eat most of it, but it’s still sooooo good!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2010

sometimes we’d come out of the corner store with a huge paperbag filled of penny candy…maybe 300 pieces…lol…and we’d demolish it in a couple hours and have the biggest tummy ache.

Anais February 22, 2010

I heard on the radio the other day that Cheese Whiz can actually used to clean floors :S I definitely used to love it too but I think we only had it twice in my house lol!

I never had mac & cheese until like 2 years ago… now it’s one of my guilty pleasures I have to say!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2010

Clean floors? wtf…hahaha

Taylor February 22, 2010

I was the child who stayed at the kitchen table til bedtime for not eating my veggies…so I fully agree about the taste evolution! Now I can’t get enough!

I was typically the sweets girl….Pop tarts, cookies and cream ice cream, fun dip, oreos….and then, of course, the super healthy protein choices like corn dogs! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2010

hahah I used to have to sit at the table until I finished them too…then I realized if I gave them to my dog I would get away faster lol

Jessica February 24, 2010

poptarts had NOTHING on toaster strudels…but my sister would eat all of the icing packets when mom bought them so I always had them plain…haha

Christie http://rollerkoesterrun.wordpress.com/ February 22, 2010

Little Debbies were amazing- especially the Swiss Cake Rolls- they are so sinful ;)

I was a big sugar/candy kid: Lik-a-Maid, pixy stix

Just wanted to take a sec to thank you for your blog. I just made my first Green Monster thanks to you!!!!!

~Christie

Maya February 22, 2010

My mom used to make my sliced banana with sour cream, brown sugar, and cinnamon on occasion, which I loved. I also really liked yogurt and banana! I used to nibble at Kraft singles (the square yellow plastic cheese!) like a mouse

Sarah February 22, 2010

I loved the cheese sticks that had mozzarella and cheddar twisted together. And fun dip which Mama Pea completely hated on but I loved the artificial chemical sugary powder.

Ameena February 22, 2010

Definitely Chips Ahoy, Chips Deluxe and Magic Middles! So so so good!! Oh and Fritos were my favorite chips ever.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2010

I must also add (thanks to you all reminding me!) Lik a maids, Pop tarts, and those puff cookies. :D

Katie February 22, 2010

I really can’t believe the things I used to eat…Oreos by the 6-pack, ramen noodles, fruit rollups, tons of white pasta and NO VEGGIES! I cringe at the thought of eating this diet now.

Samantha February 22, 2010

Love this post!! I loved goldfish, gushers, pringles, peanut butter sandwiches(no jelly), mac n cheese and tortilla chips with melted cheese on the top!!! YUM!!! Basically fruit snacks were the best!

Barbara February 22, 2010

Love this trip down memory lane…

I was all over the atomic fireballs,sour patch kids,Cookie crunch,halava,oatmeal cream pies,apple fritters,rock candy and of course to this day..PB and J:)

B

thedelishdish February 22, 2010

i was obsessed with fruit full ups!! they were my absolute favorite. also loved the crazy sour war-heads and sour patch kids…ohh to be a kid again!

Kristy February 22, 2010

Oh my gosh! I cannot imagine you eating any of those things!! I have ALWAYS thought cheese-whiz was SO gross! LOVE the size healthy…what a great concept :)

Katie @ Health for the Whole Self February 22, 2010

I used to LOVE the Barnum’s animal crackers – the ones that came in a little box!!!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday February 22, 2010

Huge chunks of homemade salami with cheese. Mmmm.

EaterNotARunner February 22, 2010

Just peanut butter on white bread! Or Fluffernutters….yum!

Addict February 22, 2010

Oreos. Cookies and Cream Ice Cream. Sour Skittles. Sour Jelly Beans. Snickers. and the weird one… Ovaltine :-)

My mom would put Ovaltine in warm milk for me to fall asleep… yum. but who am I kidding? I still LOVE these foods even as an adult!

Anne P February 22, 2010

Oooo gushers were the best!!! I also loved penny swedish fish and those atomic fire ball things, hehe. Still have them every once in awhile ;)

Page 1 of 41234»