Do You Know The Cookie Monsta?

Good morning!

Thank you so much for your enthusiastic response to my Size Healthy Contest!!! Keep those amazing entries coming in. I can’t wait to do a big recap post of all the pictures. If you post about it on your blog and send me the link, I will link back to your website. :)

I was up at 5:30am this morning. I don’t know what has happened, but I am starting to find it easier (note: EASIER, not easy!) to get up very early. I think my body is finally adjusting to my new Early Rising Challenge. I get so much work done in the early morning, it has been really great for me. A big motivation for me has been some delicious things to eat in the morning. I am a girl motivated by my stomach! ;) You know the saying, ‘The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.’? Well, I say, ‘The way to a girl’s heart is through her stomach!’ Hrmph!

I finally got my Bone Marrow confirmation letter in the mail after two months. I thought they had lost my swab kit for a while there. [You can read all about my decision and inspiration to become a Bone Marrow Donor in this post.]

IMG 8374 thumb   Do You Know The Cookie Monsta?

I am really excited to know that I officially qualified for the Bone Marrow Network. I am nervous, but at the same time I am really hopeful that I will be able to help someone someday.

Speaking of which, I am going to donate blood today or tomorrow. This will be my second time donating blood. I have been ramping up my iron intake with iron rich foods all week.

I had a killer Green Monster this morning in preparation!

IMG 1153 thumb   Do You Know The Cookie Monsta?

That baby was GREEN!

Iron, Iron, Baby Green Monster

Ingredients:

• 5-6 cups organic baby spinach, steamed
  • 1 cup hemp milk
  • 1 scoop Manitoba Harvest Hemp Protein powder
  • 1 scoot Amazing Grass wheatgrass powder
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 1 T chia seeds
  • 6 large ice cubes

I also took it with a Vitamin C to increase the iron absorption.

IMG 1159 thumb   Do You Know The Cookie Monsta?

Then I had a great RACE on Landy. Yesterday was a beautiful rest day from exercise so I was ready to run today.

Landy is what I call my treadmill, formerly known as the ‘running beast’ ;)

8km Race:

• Miles 1-2: 6.6 mph, incline 2%
  • Water station: 30 seconds
  • Miles 3-4: 6.6 mph, incline 2%
  • Water station: 1 minute
  • Mile 4- 4.97: 7.0-8.0 mph, incline 2%

Total time for the 8km race: 44 minutes and 56 seconds, not including 1.5 minutes for water stations ;)

IMG 8440 thumb   Do You Know The Cookie Monsta?

It was a very, very tough run. I felt amazing afterwards.

PS- I MIGHT have a little surprise up my sleeve this weekend…

My post-race celebration snack was my motivation…

IMG 1168 thumb   Do You Know The Cookie Monsta?

I made these cookies last night after seeing them on fat Free Vegan Kitchen. They are truly ‘keepers’!

IMG 1174 thumb   Do You Know The Cookie Monsta?

Are you a COOKIE MONSTA? I am!

IMG 1164 thumb   Do You Know The Cookie Monsta?

Nanners. One of the world’s most fabulous foods. Can you believe that Eric hates bananas?!

IMG 1182 thumb   Do You Know The Cookie Monsta? IMG 1183 thumb   Do You Know The Cookie Monsta?

I didn’t mash my banana too much, so it left big chunks of banana in the cookie. It was BLISS.

IMG 1185 thumb   Do You Know The Cookie Monsta?

I had my post-race cookie slathered in heated up Artisana coconut butter. It really is like frosting, Kath!

IMG 1192 thumb   Do You Know The Cookie Monsta?   IMG 1187 thumb   Do You Know The Cookie Monsta?

I was sent this Green Pan to review and I tested it out with the cookies last night.

IMG 1143 thumb   Do You Know The Cookie Monsta?

Facts about the Green Pan:

IMG 8441 thumb   Do You Know The Cookie Monsta?

What did I think of the Green Pan?

• It worked great. The pan was excellent quality and I had no problems with it at all. I didn’t use any non-stick spray on the pan and the cookies came off easily with a spatula. The cookies all cooked evenly which was nice because I have had problems before with certain pans not cooking evenly- mainly that cookies on the edge burn. They all cooked perfectly this time. You can see the wide variety of Green Pan Products here. For info on where to buy them, see here.

Updates:

• See my first juice recipe over on Foodthinkers: Spiced Apple Pie.
  • I have a short blurb in Fitness Magazine’s March 2010 issue. I was interviewed for an article on over-training and I talked about the Superwoman Syndrome. I am going to contact the masthead to see if I am allowed to upload the article on OSG! It is a great article and I think it would be beneficial to so many women.

We’re having friends over for the hockey game tonight- can’t wait! :)

Enjoy your Thursday!!!

Angela Signature thumb23   Do You Know The Cookie Monsta?

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 18, 2010

that’s so funny that Eric doesn’t like bananas…i don’t really love them either and i thought i was crazy or something! I’ll definitely be trying those cookies though…for some reason bananas in baked goods don’t bother me :)

I’m loving the contest by the way…every time i see my pants it makes me smile :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 18, 2010

You can also sub the banana for applesauce, says Susan :)

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama February 18, 2010

Question: Why do you steam your greens before juicing them?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 18, 2010
Estela @ Weekly Bite February 18, 2010

I love bananas!!! I don’t understand how someone can not like them. They make baked goods taste incredible!

And yes… I am a cookie monster :)

Elle @ Acquired Tastes February 18, 2010

Those cookies look so delicious!

You are so brave for giving blood (and bone marrow!) needles scare me to death – any tips on how to work up the courage to do it?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 18, 2010

I am scared of needles, but I don’t have a big phobia or anything. I actually told myself to focus on how the machine worked when I was giving blood. I was looking around at the equipment, and this totally took my mind off it. Some places have TV’s too.

shalyn February 19, 2010

ummm – a bit unorthodox but hang out in an oncology ward for an afternoon…you’ll be running to donate after that!! thanks in advance!

Diana February 18, 2010

I can’t wait to see all of the Size Healthy entries! Also, Def going to pick up a copy of Fitness magazine when it comes out!

thedelishdish February 18, 2010

these cookies look awesome…and my nickname growing up used to be cookie monster so i think its only appropriate i make these this weekend!!

Shannon (The Daily Balance) February 18, 2010

these look fantastic, thanks for sharing! i like that you don’t mash the banana up all the way — those chunks of banana bliss sound delightful!

Lauren @ Eater not a runner February 18, 2010

Those cookies look great, and congrats on the article!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) February 18, 2010

Banana and chocolate=a magical combo. Silly Eric!!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing February 18, 2010

Those cookies sound awesome!! Kinda like super-charge me cookies with banana..
He doesn’t like bananas?! The horror!! ;)

Ashley February 18, 2010

I definitely posted my jeans on the blog today!! http://edibleperspective.com/?p=5512 Do you ever have to take a break from amazing grass + chia seeds? I have found that I have to lately..if you know what I mean..helllloooo fiber! lol

Angela (ohsheglows) February 18, 2010

I take breaks from KALE. That is all I will say :D

Ameena February 18, 2010

I’m kind of scared to admit this but I don’t like bananas either! I just can’t stand the mushiness. But the cookies definitely look delicious!

Angela (ohsheglows) February 18, 2010

Don’t be scurrred! ;) That is the same thing Eric says- they are mushy. He is a big texture person!

Christina February 18, 2010

It’s great you signed up as a bone marrow donor. I used to work in a laboratory that did the HLA genotyping to match donors and patients (my background is in molecular biology and genetics).

And WTG on getting a ‘blurb’ in Fitness magazine! What a great accomplishment!!!

Angela (ohsheglows) February 18, 2010

Do you happen to know what the stats are on the liklihood of getting selected? They don’t say anything about it on the website.

Christina February 18, 2010

Unfortunately I don’t know a statistic on the likelihood of being selected. It probably depends if you have common or rare HLA genotypes.

It is very difficult to find a perfect match. Most of the time it is a ‘compatible’ match, meaning some of the alleles are different, but can be compatible with each other (i.e. may not cause rejection). We used to genotype the HLA-A, B, C, DR, and DR52 loci as a standard. Each one of those loci have 2 alleles, meaning to be a perfect match all 10 alleles of the donor must match the patient. Each one of those alleles has many different possibilities w/ regards to the gene sequence (each one is numbered, i.e. *#). You can easily imagine how hard it is to find a perfect match. It’s hard to even find a compatible one!

*Andrea* February 18, 2010

i am a TOTAL cookie monster. i hate to bake though ughhh wish i enjoyed it because your cookies are prob a million times healthier than the choc chip cookie ones i get at my dining hall :-O

great run!!! so fast!

Marge February 18, 2010

Angela–you aren’t by chance anemic? Are you just very careful to get as much (and absorb as much) iron as possible?

I happen to be anemic and I was just curious! I like to see how others “cope” with the issue. I get my blood tested for it periodically but I pyhsically notice it mostly when I feel light headed, tired and my complexion teeters on the green side. Sorry if this is too much information!

Angela (ohsheglows) February 18, 2010

I was anemic at one point when I was struggling with disordered eating. My iron levels have been great though in the past several years. According to one nurse ‘my blood sank like an anchor weight’ lol

Meat sources of iron are absorbed the best, but to maximize plant sources take with a vitamin C as it helps with absorption.

AGS February 18, 2010

I had a period of anemia. I handled it by taking a Tablespoon of unsulphured blackstrap molasses each day.

1 T blackstrap molasses = approximately 15% DV calcium and 15% DV iron, plus plenty of others (e.g., manganese).

I still use it some each week (on pancakes, in place of jam on toast, etc., in homemade baked beans). It’s a strong taste, but I like it quite a bit.

Sara @ ActiveGal February 18, 2010

Those cookies look delicious! I love changing my runs on the treadmills up. I usually try to add faster and slower sections in each run. It helps to break it up and not feel so monotonous!

Laura @ Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness February 18, 2010

Congrats on the article being published!
Those cookies look fantastic, I love the idea of the big chunks of banana. I will have to try out this recipe soon!
~Laura

Sarah February 18, 2010

I can believe Eric hates bananas because I do too! It’s such a drag because bananas are like, the vegan SUPERFOOD lol! And apparently a great vehicle for almond butter. Le sigh.

Carolyn February 18, 2010

I like bananas, but they can’t be too green or too ripe. It’s hard to eat a bunch when they hit the perfect flavor at the same time. Thanks to GMs, though, I’ve no longer been wasting them. I freeze them and use them in the smoothies. :)

Angela (ohsheglows) February 18, 2010

My new thing is freezing bananas…love it!

Maureen February 18, 2010

Carolyn,
I know what you mean too green there a little bitter too ripe they are too sweet. I usually get 2 that are just perfect from the bunch. Then I either cut them up and put them in oatmeal or freeze for smooties or baking.

Carolyn February 19, 2010

The first time I froze a banana, I left the peel on. That didn’t end well. LOL Doh!

Jocelyn February 18, 2010

mmm those cookies look really good Angela!

That’s exciting you got your bone marrow stuff back :) Exciting news!

RawSierra February 18, 2010

Eric is soooo right on! I have hated bananas since I was born! Since going Raw/Vegan three months ago I have had to MAKE myself like bananas. I am not totally there yet. Why do I hate one of the most popular fruits in the world! IDK!

Hey Angela, by the way, I made your Jiffy Spelt Veggie Burgers (I subbed Oat flour for spelt) and they were heavenly! I am putting some cooked food back into my raw diet – just want to say thanks for that yummy recipe!

Paige @ Running Around Normal February 18, 2010

Congrats on the Bone Marrow confirmation. So exciting! That’s such a selfless thing to do :)
NICE run! That’s supah fast! Especially for just getting back into it.
Those cookies look bomb. Def gonna have to try those out.

Corinne February 18, 2010

Totally on the kale chips bandwagon, and frozen bananas!!! Can’t get enough!!

OK, get ready to LOVE your green pans – the BF and I have been using them for more than a year. We bought them on sale before Linens and Things went under, and oh my, we are kicking ourselves for not buying more of the sets…LOVE THEM!! ENJOY!

Jewel@fit-and-fabulous-jewel February 18, 2010

Congrats on the article!

Those cookies look great and I didn’t know there was anybody out there who didn’t like bananas!

I don’t know how you find time to do everything you do..bake for work..bake for fun…clean…paperwork…read blogs…blog…emails…exercise…cook for real meals…plan vacations…watch tv…hang out with the husband…and more!

You truly are superwoman!

I am envious of your time management skills (in a good way of course)…it is a miracle that I get a few blog posts out a week, get dinner on the table, get my kids to school in clean clothes, and get JOB work done! If only there was something I could eat to help my deficiency there!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 18, 2010

you had me at ‘kids’

Seriousy, I envy you being able to do all of that with CHILDREN! That is a 24/7 job on its own.

amy February 18, 2010

Hi Angela,

Lately I’ve been wanting to experiment with miso. It seems to have so many health benefits, especially for vegans. Do you ever use it much? Any favorite recipes?

Have a great day!

Jenn @ Livewellfit February 18, 2010

I’m so glad that the size healthy challenge is exploding! Such a cool movement.

I just completed my workout and literally the ONLY thing that got me through the hour was focusing on the incredible green monster I was going to make!!!! Full of bananas and peanut butter. :) And now…I’m enjoying the fruits of my labor!

Melissa February 18, 2010

Thank you thank you thank you thank you for joining The Bone Marrow Network!!! I have leukemia and even though the treatment I am on right now is working well there is a still a chance I might need a bone marrow/stem cell transplant in the future. So thank you again! :)

shalyn February 19, 2010

hey Melissa! Just posted myself – what kind of leukemia? My husband has CML and on treatment as well (with cml – its sort of a neverending thing …well until we get a cure) Nice to see your post …

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) February 18, 2010

Those cookies look amazing! Congrats on getting your letter, that is a truly wonderful thing to do!

xo
K

Heather (Where's the Beach) February 18, 2010

OH YUM. I love oatmeal cookies (just about any cookie really). These sound so good. Wish you could just email one to me! ;-)

Heather February 18, 2010

those cookies look so good! great job on the run!

Allison February 18, 2010

that green monster looks so tasty, I kind of fell of the GM wagon, I really should get back on it! I want to donate blood so bad, but my iron is always way low..

shalyn February 19, 2010

flora-dix is an awesome natural iron supplement!

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin February 18, 2010

I’m totally a cookie monsta! I could eat them all day, every day! Fortunately, I don’t. I agree, the way to my heart is definitely through my stomach!! ;)

I’m so impressed that you are donating blood and, potentially, bone marrow! I can’t donate blood– I literally faint every time I get blood drawn! They’re not allowed to take it while I’m unconscious, so it becomes quite the problem…

Jil February 18, 2010

Ahh those cookies sound amaaaazing. C IS for cookies…and cookies ARE for me!!! hahaha The pictures are gorgeous — love the use of your yoga mat as a background; it really sets off the food1

Angela February 18, 2010

I used to hate bananas too! Now I can’t live with out them! One day I just decided to eat one to see if I still hated them and I’ve been eating them every since!

Megan February 18, 2010

I really want to try out those cookies!! Loving green monsters too :D I feel super powerful when I add chia seeds…

Gina February 18, 2010

I made those cookies last night from the fatfreevegan website. I left out the raisins so my husband would eat them. Anyway, they were AMAZING!! I can’t believe they are fat free and vegan! I am new to vegan recipes and am impressed with some that I have made.

Adam February 18, 2010

Wow, those cookies look out of this world!!!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 18, 2010

Great work on the run- you rock girl! And those cookies look oh so good :)

AGS February 18, 2010

Unfortunately, I can’t give blood for another 5-6 years. Been too many places in the world. . .

Kristilyn (My 29th Year) February 18, 2010

Those cookies look great!

My husband likes bananas but he hates them cooked in certain things. He loves banana bread, but hates banana pancakes (something I love!).

Good run this morning! Some days are easier than others to get up and workout – I agree. At least you’re getting the hang of it!

K