Vegan Pizza With Cheeze

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on February 4, 2010

Mmmmmmmmm.

IMG_0374

Did you do a double take?

IMG_0379

Tuesday, I did a review of Ezekiel tortilla wraps. I received a comment from Meagan saying that I had to try these wraps as a pizza and she linked me to her amazing post. After wiping the puddle of drool from my desk, I knew I had to make this- stat!

Vegan Pizza with Cheeze

Adapted from Meagan’s post.

Ingredients:

• 1 Ezekiel tortilla wrap
  • 2-3 T tomato paste
  • handful baby spinach
  • 7-8 slices zucchini
  • plum tomato, sliced
  • basil and parsley
  • Sunflower seeds, hulled (a little fat helps with absorption of nutrients in veggies)

Mea’s Humnut Sauce:

• 3 T hummus
  • 2 T nutritional yeast
  • water to thin out
  • 1/2 t Turmeric (to make it yellow- it will change the taste a bit keep in mind)

Directions: Spread tortilla with tomato paste (or pizza sauce if preferred). Add toppings followed by cheeze and seasonings. Broil in the oven for about 3 minutes on low- watch carefully! Serve immediately.

IMG_0348

This was incredible.

IMG_0410

I love finding out about new food concoctions! :mrgreen:

Our weather lately has been beautiful…we have been blessed with the sun for the past week or two. It feels more and more like Spring everyday (minus the snow of course, but it is beautiful to look at!).

IMG_0412

I was asked if I am still drinking Green Monsters and the answer is yes, yes, and yes! I have about 4 a week now, and about 2-3 juices a week. I like mixing it up.

IMG_0330

As I mentioned in yesterday’s post, I skipped my scheduled 3 mile tempo run yesterday in favour of some stretching. I was quite sore from my Booty Camp Fitness workout, so I decided to take it off to let my muscles repair. I have updated my Spring Training Plan to reflect this. I simply added on the 3 mile run to today’s workout.

I did 13 Poses for Runners last night and it was just what I needed!

Now I want everyone to try a quick activity with me, don’t even think about it and answer the following question as quickly as possible…

Are you holding your breath right now?

I do it all the time, I am horrible at BREATHING!

Yup, I am a chronic shallow breather! I also often find myself holding my breath when I am busy or stressed. Lately I have been trying to be mindful of breathing deeply. It feels so good to breathe deeply and unfortunately it also feels a bit foreign to me because I rarely do it! I hope to be more conscious about my breathing and try to make it a ‘habit’.

What kind of breather are you- shallow or deep? Do you consider yourself a conscious breather?

Angela_Signature

"Being relaxed, at peace with yourself, confident, emotionally neutral, loose, and free-floating – these are the keys to successful performance in almost everything." ~Dr. Wayne Dyer

Laura @ Food For La February 4, 2010 at 11:53 am

Yes! I was holding my breath. I do it all of the time, also. When I drive I have to remind myself to keep breathing regularly. So weird!

Angela, I have a question for you about nutritional yeast since I see it popping up on a lot of blogs. What makes it so great? Since I have to eat gluten-free would it be okay for me? If so, how should I use it?

Thanks! And the pizza looks divine :)

Angela (oh she glows) February 4, 2010 at 2:27 pm

It has B12 and a decent amount of protein and other vits and minerals. I’m not sure if it is GF, I would do some research online. It adds a gret cheesy flavour!

Megan February 5, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Double check when buying nooch as not all brands have B12 in them :)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 4, 2010 at 11:54 am

Um yes, that looks amazing! I don’t like the wraps but maybe I will try them as pizza! :)

megan February 4, 2010 at 11:54 am

haha wow, i was holding my breath! thanks for the reminder. you’re right, breathing deeply does feel good.

Sarah February 4, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I was holding my breath too! ahh !

That pizza looks really amazing. I’m a huge fan of tortilla pizzas, and it seems like those Ezekial tortillas work well as a base. Gonna have make this for superbowl sunday!!

BTW I tried my first Green Monster today, and I am HOOKED. I’ll post my recipe on your green monster site :) It was fabulous.

Do you grind your flax seeds before you put them in the smoothie?

Angela (oh she glows) February 4, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Nope..just toss them in all at once!

Kate February 4, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I was holding my breath looking at that pizza! That looks amazing! Now I’m taking deep breaths coming back to earth. :)

Alexandra February 4, 2010 at 12:04 pm

I want some of that pizza! Yummmm! :)
I was also holding my breath, that is a good point you made. i haven’t really analyzed my breathing so I don’t know if I am a shallow breather or not. Breathing deeply is so amazing though, I have to make sure I do it more often.

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 4, 2010 at 12:17 pm

um, i totally did a double-take! that looks amazing, and actually sounds even more delicious!

i’m glad you’ve had some sunshine lately, i am loving the sun here…feels like spring/summer is almost here :)

Astrid February 4, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Angela, I am also a very shallow breather when I am not thinking about it. It often leaves my mind spinning and I feel like I just can’t breathe at all. When I read the question, I was holding my breath. Why is the world do I do this?

Susan February 4, 2010 at 12:31 pm

I think people might naturally hold their breath when anticipating a question, but that’s just my theory :) The pizze looks amazing! Definately gonna have to try it this weekend.

Angela (oh she glows) February 4, 2010 at 2:29 pm

haha love your theory…probably true!

Andrea Fellman February 4, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Ok I ahve never made a homemade pizza (i know shocking) but I think I may have to make my first one after seeing that one! Looks sooo yummy!! You are inspiring me to get in the kitchen and mix it up a bit:) Thanks
First time to your site – I am loving it!!

Teri February 4, 2010 at 12:36 pm

That looks SO good! And um, yes, I was definitely holding my breath. I’m stressed at work! I’m going to consciously breathe the rest of the day. Thanks!

Nikki T February 4, 2010 at 12:36 pm

It does sound silly to say “I’m not a good breather”…and I’m glad I’m not the only one who says it!
I recognized that I’m a horrible breather when I started running…I often struggle to get a deep breath, especially when doing a hard work out and I can’t seem to figure out why or correct it! It’s really quite frustrating while running…
Any ideas?!? Besides to practice breathing (which sounds ridiculous, but apparently it’s necessary!)

Angela (oh she glows) February 4, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Ive heard yoga helps!

Leilani February 4, 2010 at 7:54 pm

I will totally agree that the wraps by themselves are a bit tough – but let me tell you, please DO NOT give up on them – and try them in the oven !!!!!!! I made that unbelievable pizza and I am still wondering if I have died and gone to heaven :))) – they were sooooooooooo freaking good like this, no toughness, just crunchness and so so good oh sorry I already said that but I am not kidding the wraps are that good!!!!!!!!1

Morgan @ Life After Bagels February 4, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I tend to hold my breath without knowing it too. Since I started my meditation challenge last week I’ve actually been better. It makes me remember in the middle of the day to get some deep breaths in.

Lauren @ Eater not a runner February 4, 2010 at 12:37 pm

That pizza looks SO good! Yummm

[email protected] Two Lives, One Lifestyle February 4, 2010 at 12:39 pm

It was surprising how when I read “Are you holding your breath?” I realized I was. I’m definitely a shallow breather- at one point I was taking voice lessons for singing and my teacher would make me lay on the ground with a book on my stomach so I could see it rise and fall with deep breathing.

Danielle (Coffee Run) February 4, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Omggg your pizza looks amazing. I always forget about pizza because it’s usually not vegan. And then I remember about recipes like THIS!

I definitely breath when I’m stressed (to the point of hyperventilation lol)

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad February 4, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Seriously, how impressive is Mae? She’s only in high school and she cooks like a gourmet chef!

Kim K February 4, 2010 at 12:48 pm

The pizza looks incredible! I’m a new runner, and am always on the hunt for healthy food for fuel.

@Katie, I’m also an opera singer, and the “singer’s breath” technique works really well for stress and during runs to avoid side stitches. Now, if only I could remember *before* I get tired and my form falls apart. :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg February 4, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Oh my goodness Angela– that pizza looks amazing!

Sometimes I find myself breathing really shallow-ly (totally not a word) and I have to take a few deeeeeep breaths :-)

Audrey February 4, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Breathing and posture…always hard for me. It’s all about remaining mindful, I guess. : )

John February 4, 2010 at 12:51 pm

The only time I have a problem with breathing is when I’m working out. Trainer told me I am supposed to breathe when I lift weights not hold it when I lift. Didn’t realize I was! And I found at Yoga I was breathing opposite of the way they said you should. Never could get it right though I only attended 3 times because it was free :-)

Sarah @ The Foodie Diaries February 4, 2010 at 12:51 pm

that looks incredible!! i can see how ezekiels would be great “tortilla pizza” bases because they’re definitely heartier than la tortillas

One Healthy Apple February 4, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Yep, totally holding my breath. I forget to breathe a lot- especially when I’m stressing, which happens to be a lot! You are right- deep breaths feel so much better!

Katie O. @ Fit to Wed February 4, 2010 at 12:55 pm

haha, YES. I always catch myself doing this while I’m trying to fall asleep too. It’s so weird!

Marisa (Loser for Life) February 4, 2010 at 1:04 pm

I really like the taste of nutritional yeast. It’s a great substitute for cheese in a Mac n Cheese recipe!

LOL @ holding my breath! I do seem to hold my breath quite often! I think women, in general, tend to be shallow breathers. I would like to get better at breathing properly, too!

Lisa February 4, 2010 at 1:05 pm

I was shallow breathing, I always catch myself doing this and forget to breath when lifting weights. Why?

Ameena February 4, 2010 at 1:05 pm

What an incredible looking pizza! It looks like something I’d see at California Pizza Kitchen!

My breathing has drastically improved since I started doing yoga. I highly recommend it for learning how to breathe properly.

Jess February 4, 2010 at 1:09 pm

[Been lurking for a while now; don’t have a blog of my own to link to but I very much enjoy reading!]

I LOVE the Ezekiel tortillas for pizzas. Another good recipe is to do one Mexican-style. I use salsa instead tomato paste/sauce, whatever veggies I’ve got on hand, avocado, parsley or cilantro for seasoning, along with lime zest and a squeeze of juice.

Sana February 4, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Angela, do the juices keep you as full as the smoothies? Or how fulling are they?

Angela (oh she glows) February 4, 2010 at 2:28 pm

No they aren’t filling at all, but I like them as a pre-workout snack.

David February 4, 2010 at 1:12 pm

I’m not a vegan by any stretch but that pizza sure does look good. Nicely done!

Jessie (Vegan-minded) February 4, 2010 at 1:18 pm

That pizza is beautiful! I think I might be a shallow breather as well, I was holding my breath as I was reading and didn’t even notice until you asked!

Annie February 4, 2010 at 1:19 pm

I’m a shallow deeper too! I wonder if it has an impact on my running…

Jil February 4, 2010 at 1:21 pm

That pizza is phenomenal looking!! That’s definitely something to try! I think I’m a shallow breather — I hold my breath often…now that I think of it. Weird. haha

liane February 4, 2010 at 1:33 pm

The only time I ever buy wraps is to make pizza, and now I’ve got a hankering for pizza. I just may have to stop by the store on my way home :)
I’m a horrible breather… totally shallow and it really does affect my running. I have to make a concerted effort to keep my breathing in check while running.

Cassie February 4, 2010 at 1:33 pm

as i’ve started going to yoga more, i’ve noticed that i am a shallow breather too. i feel so much better when i stop and take a few breaths. it’s hard to train yourself to breathe differently though – breathing is something we’ve ALWAYS done!

Kristen February 4, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Oh yum! I’ve been using the Ezikiel wraps as pizza crusts for awhile and love how crunchy they get!

I used to be very bad at holding my breath especially when stressed, but doing yoga has made me more conscious of how I breathe (and deal with stress). Still working on it though!

skinnyrunner February 4, 2010 at 1:58 pm

vegan food normally scares me but that pizza looks good!

Jocelyn February 4, 2010 at 2:08 pm

That makes me so hungry!!! Looks delicious : )

xo

Jocelyn

Jessica @ The Process of Healing February 4, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Haha I love that!!! I never realized that I hold my breath but I so do… I could use some deep breathing.

The pizza looks yummy!

Katie @ Health for the Whole Self February 4, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I am definitely a shallow breather, but – like you – I’ve discovered how invigorating deep breathing can be! When I’m really stressed out, I use this technique: breath in for a count of 5 seconds, breath out for a count of 7 seconds, repeat 5 times. In a FLASH I feel more relaxed! :)

Lauren February 4, 2010 at 2:22 pm

The only time I ever really notice my breathing is when I’m running. I guess that makes me unconscious, but if I think about it, I doubt I’m normally breathing very deeply.

Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) February 4, 2010 at 2:27 pm

I love making pizzas with sprouted tortillas – I’m going to have to try that cheese! I use French Meadow Bakerys sprouted tortillas – I think they are much better then Ezekiel ones!

katherine February 4, 2010 at 2:27 pm

The pizza looks fabulous!!

I’m terrible about breathing deeply. And yet I wonder why I’m exhausted and stressed by the end of the day :-P

Angela (oh she glows) February 4, 2010 at 2:30 pm

everyone….deep breath on ONE, TWO, THREE….and go!

awwwww

Heather (Where's the Beach) February 4, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Oh the pizza looks great! Love the idea of the hummus as a cheeze.

Kristy February 4, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Thanks to yoga I have discovered the power of breathing! Great point,sometimes I “forget” to breath. LOL

KathyR February 4, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Shallow. And unconscious. And usually caught by surprise when the instructor/leader person says something about “inhale” or “blow it out” or whatever because I am almost never able to catch on to the breathing rhythm they’re talking about.

Hummus “cheese?” Interesting…

Janna (Just Flourishing) February 4, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Thank you for passing on the pizza goodness!

I have actually been on a bit of a pizza spree lately. Trying to figure out the best crust, and cheese.

I tried using Daiya vegan cheese last time. Have you ever tried it?
It wasn’t bad but your Cheeze sounds even better!

For my next pizza I will definitely be using those wraps and Cheeze!

Audrey February 4, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Ohh! I really want to try Daiya. I’ve never tried a vegan cheese before–I’m afraid of wasting money on something I don’t like–but I’ve heard great things about Daiya. Plus, I don’t think it has any soy in it.

Tania February 4, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Hi Angela, o.k that pizza looks ridiculously good!! i’ve starting using spelt pizza crust from Shasha company here in T.o – They are pretty darn good and stay nice and crunchy even under a load of toppings.

Fallon February 4, 2010 at 3:21 pm

That pizza looks fabulous. I’ve never tried the “vegan” cheese but I do have those ingredients on hand, I will have to try this on my day off.

I just recently posted about a Pita Pizza I make, it all vegan except for the cheese part but that can easily be changed. ;)

Amy Reinink February 4, 2010 at 3:28 pm

The pizza looks delicious! Definitely on my list of stuff to try! I’ve been working on my breathing myself, and I’ve found that getting back into swimming makes me a much more conscious breather on dry land. My lung-capacity exercise: At the end of a workout, I do four 25’s without taking a breath, resting for as long as I need to between each one. It kills me every time!

Mary February 4, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Thanks so much for the quote…it hit home for me today. I’ve been struggle with believing in myself and decisions I make!
And yes…I was holding my breath.

Nicole, RD February 4, 2010 at 3:48 pm

I love nutritional yeast…packed with B vitamins and delicious! Tastes like Parmesan to me! The pizza looks wonderful!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman February 4, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Thanks for the link to those stretches. I’m trying them tonight after my workout. I get so tight and sore if I don’t stretch. As for breathing, my left nostril is ALWAYS stuffed up so I’m forced to be a shallow breather.

Mae @ OhhMay February 4, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Aww thank you so much Angela!! I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe. Yours looks divine… I need to try some sunflower seeds on top! It sounds delicious.

It’s so funny you mention breathing because I just practiced breath-holding in the pool today. I can do a full 50 m. without air!! But I do find myself holding my breath a lot, especially in the car or while I’m taking an exam.

Jess - The Domestic Vegan February 4, 2010 at 4:22 pm

OMG, that pizza! That looks so delicious. That snowy picture is what it looks like here right now, too. :( It’s pretty, but I am ready for spring.

Lisa February 4, 2010 at 4:30 pm

MMM the pizza looks so good. I am definately going to be trying that real soon.

I am a shallow breather and have to remind mydelf to take deep breaths. I do find myself holding my breath especially when stressed.

Lauren February 4, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Thank you for the breathing mention! It’s so important and sooo many people are not breathing properly- filling up their abdomen/lower lungs with air. I definitely catch myself ALL THE TIME! Such an important thing for us to remember! I actually joined a meditation club at my University to work on this! :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine February 4, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Oh wow does this pizza ever look good! I have a few Ezekiel tortillas left, I’m definitely going to give this a try soon!

Beth February 4, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Kripalu yoga has taught me SO much about deep breathing. I’ve learned some amazing techniques in there to deepen my breathing and slow my heart rate. I leave the class so relaxed and focused – it’s amazing and I highly recommend it!!

Nutritious Foodie February 4, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Your pizza looks great. I bought some Nutritional yeast but it doesn’t taste cheesy… could it be bad maybe?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 4, 2010 at 5:24 pm

I find the cheesy flavour is most pronounced when it is mixed in other foods. I do not like the taste of it on its own.

Audrey February 4, 2010 at 5:29 pm

I agree with Angela..it’s not that great on its own, although I do like it sprinkled on popcorn with some sea salt. I think it is kind of an acquired taste, too. You can’t expect it to taste *just* like cheese–because it’s not. It’s a unique flavor all on it’s own. I would give it a try in a few recipes to really determine if you like it.

Audrey February 4, 2010 at 5:26 pm

That pizza looks SO good. After seeing Mae’s comment, I went and checked out her post and it made me want to go make one of these super-easy pizzas right then and there. Considering that it was late at night, I restrained myself, but I am now itching to get in the kitchen and try some of her ideas! There are endless possibilities and toppings…so fun!

I have a really hard time breathing. When I do yoga it really makes me mindful of what a bad breather I am…coincidentally, I never knew that I could get tired of breathing until I did yoga! I find myself holding my breath in a lot of the poses. I think it is something we naturally do when we are tense, which is too bad because that’s when we need the oxygen the most!

Natasha February 4, 2010 at 5:44 pm

I can’t even tell you if I was holding my breath… is that bad? As for the shallow or deep stuff… not really sure. All I know is that I do a big breathe in, breathe out to relax myself just before I fall asleep… and even after almost six years it still gets a comment out of my fiance.

Courtney February 4, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Hey Angela- I really love your blog and am realizing this might be my first comment! I’m wondering what kind of nutritional yeast you use. I bought Whole Foods brand and it’s kind of meh- thoughts on this?

Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 4, 2010 at 5:52 pm

That pizza looks awesome!
Yep definitely a shallow breather ….

Jenn @ Livewellfit February 4, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Must go make that pizza NOW!!! I’m rethinking what dinner will be this evening :) Thanks for sharing!

Anna @ unsweetenedcocoa February 4, 2010 at 8:14 pm

I am SUCH a shallow breather. It’s brutal! It makes me so tense in the neck and shoulders, especially after a day of work. Thanks for the reminder to breathe deeply….

I’m very interested to try that humnut sauce!

Katie February 4, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I love the hummus nooch combo. I eat it on stir-fried veggies ALL THE TIME. In fact, that is what I am planning on eating for dinner tonight!

Stacy February 4, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Oooh that pizza looks wonderful! I have some sprouted crusts in my deydrator (I love the Ezekiel Torts but they’re not raw and have wheat so I have to avoid them)….

Ah the breathing – I have been trying to train myself to breath deeply and catch myself when I’m not – due to constant anxiety I’m the ole short breath thing too.

Breathing is so important as our lungs are one of our main detoxification methods. I sit and do 10-15 minutes of deep breathing before bed in silence – gets me ready for sleep :)

Angela I love your blog. Great work honey!

Jolene February 4, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Yep – I was totally holding my breath. I am stressed today too … weird. I wonder if I do that a lot!!?

jodie February 4, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Pizza looks great. Have you tried the Yves Veggie cuisine products?

pam landy February 4, 2010 at 11:22 pm

that pizza looks absolutely amazing.

La February 4, 2010 at 11:25 pm

I used to be a much better breather than I am now – I used to classically train as a singer, so breathing deeply was natural for me. I’m trying to bring it back but evem as I type this I realize I’m holding my breath! Whoooooshhhhhh gotta let it out!

[email protected] February 5, 2010 at 1:05 am

I am a deep breather, but my breaths seem to get deeper the more yoga and pilates I do. I think this has a lot to do with why I don’t get stressed very often as well as the fact that I have practiced time management for so long I should be a pro by now!! haha

and that pizza…..I will be trying very very soon!

Rawkin Robin February 5, 2010 at 1:36 am

I am also a very SHALLOW breather…I constantly find myself holding my breath or taking very small breaths. I get mad at myself immediately of course haha and then take a few deep breaths. Deep breathing really does feel good and has both calming and energizing effects :) Good Post

Jasmine February 5, 2010 at 9:12 am

The part about holding your breath.. That’s so true! I was holding my breath. Am definitely a shallow breather who sighs too much as well.

Jenny February 5, 2010 at 10:58 am

I literally just gasped in awe. That parfait looks to die for!
My favorite fiction book is the Harry Potter sequels. I loved reading all of them :)

Ashley B February 5, 2010 at 11:29 am

As soon as I saw that pizza – I thought through all the ingredients, wrap – check, ingredients for hummus and nutritional yeast – check, delicious vegetables that are yummy when roasted – check… to be honest I thought the tomato paste would be strange as a sauce and I’ve noticed you use it in sandwiches etc. I tried it, and of course, it was DELICIOUS! So in short, THANK YOU for posting this recipe/idea. I sprinkled mine with black sesame seeds too and it was delicious!