Lucky Number Five

Greetings!

Up and at ‘em at 5:50am this morning despite not falling asleep until midnight last night! I had to drag my (cold) butt out of bed this morning.

I’ve had a lot on my mind this week as we are preparing my business year end tax information. It is a lot of responsibility! If there is one thing I miss about my old job is that I didn’t have to worry about any of the business side of things. A pay check arrived in my bank every two weeks and that was that.

I totally underestimated the amount of work owning your own business would be. I also am quite hard on myself, so even though the business has been doing well so far, I always think I should be doing more and more and more. I really need to work on being easier on myself and take things one week at a time.

I tried counting down from 300 last night and it didn’t work. I got bored, lol. I know the point is to get bored, but I have never been one to fall asleep while doing boring tasks. My mind wanders! I think tonight I am going to try the ‘Brain Dump’ as one reader called it- writing down all my thoughts onto paper before bed.

IMG 9396 thumb   Lucky Number Five

Not For The Faint Of Heart II

Ingredients:

• 1 field cucumber, peeled
  • 1/3 of beet, not peeled but ends trimmed
  • handful baby organic carrots
  • small piece fresh ginger, peeled
  • 1/2 lime, not peeled

IMG 9398 thumb   Lucky Number Five

Strange but true fact: I hate beets. I really do. But I discovered that I love them in fresh juice! I am craving them now! Weird, eh?

I have heard that pears go well with this combo, but I didn’t have one on hand so all veggie juice is what I got.

My juicer seems to be having a difficult time juicing beets (they don’t juice all the way). Does anyone have any tips for juicing beets?

My hands are currently stained red.

~~~~

Chia Seed Giveaway

Untitdwsled thumb   Lucky Number Five I loved reading about when and why you get up in the morning! :D If there is one thing that unites us all, is that we all have to drag our bums out of bed at some point, don’t we?

Congrats to Supersu!

She said: “I wake up between 4:00 and 5:00 am EVERY DAY! no alarm clock required….probably because I go to bed by 10:00 pm every nite..:)

i work in healthcare with shift starts that fluctuate from 6:30-9:30, (sometimes day to day!), so just figure that getting up early is the best way to beat the sleep-in paranoids!

love love love your blog. su icon smile   Lucky Number Five

Wow, so inspired by your early mornings Su! Congrats! Please email me angela [at] ohsheglows.com with your address.

Thanks to everyone for participating!

Up, Up, Updates:

• Want to help raise money for Haiti? Check out Dress Down To Help Haiti!
  • Do you love strawberry recipes? Check out this free iPhone app featuring one of my favourite strawberry recipes, in addition to over 50 more delicious strawberry recipes from other bloggers and chefs around the world. Get the free app here (links to iTunes). See why it was picked as an iTunes staff favourite!
  • I am looking for a professional blog designer to spruce up OSG. If you are interested, or know someone who might be, please email me (angela [at] ohsheglows.com) with your portfolio and rates. I will contact you if interested.
  • We are now half way through the Whittle My Middle 2 Challenge! Eric is seeing crazy amazing results! Men are so lucky…they see muscle changes so quickly, don’t they??

Sweat. Eat. Bake., Repeat.

I have a fun announcement in my next post!

Angela Signature thumb16   Lucky Number Five

"You should not wait; the time will never be ‘just right’. Start where you are, work with whatever is at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along."
~Ybonette Gonzales

MB January 15, 2010

I would suggest talking to the amazing PastaQueen/Blog Fairy about sprucing up your site. Check out her business site at: http://makemyblogpretty.com/

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 15, 2010

I really hate beets, too. I wondered if I would like them in juice because I WANT to like it – it looks so pretty! I will give it a try!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete January 15, 2010

I hate beets too, but I wonder if I would like the juice!!

Yeah, the hubby can work out for a week, and he is chiseled, and I work out for 8 weeks with barely more definition. Go figure!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 15, 2010

I joked that Eric had a six pack after 5 days! lol. Not fair at all.

Pure2Raw - Twins January 15, 2010

Love beet juice too! They are a pain to juice because that stain everything. I usually chop/slice them into strips to help the juicer out, instead of huge chucks. Sometimes that helps. Also, totally agree with you in the part of owning your own business is a lot more work especially with all the behind the scenes details, my accountant already sending me tax papers, not fun ;) Good luck with everything.

Morgan @ Life After Bagels January 15, 2010

My bf told me that he doesn’t need to do the WMM challenge, because he’s already awesome at doing planks because he does yoga and I don’t and that his six pack is just hiding under his real belly because it’s winter . . . a very creative excuse I’d say . . .

PS – would love to know who you go with for your blog redesign . . . I’ve been procrastinating and need to do the same

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) January 15, 2010

Love how the juice looks although unsure of the taste. I don’t have a juicer but usually love all “strange” flavors of juice. ;)

MarathonVal January 15, 2010

Thanks for helping me get the word out about Dress Down, Angela!

Also, try fennel in your juice… it makes it taste like licorice, which I usually don’t care for, but it tastes like a candy juice! :)

Jenny January 15, 2010

haha my cat gives me the weirdest looks for getting out of bed in the mornings, she’s like “why can’t you just lay here all day like me?”

Good luck with all of your tax and business duties, I have no doubt you will have it all under control!

Love the quote at the end of this post :)

Paige @ Running Around Normal January 15, 2010

I’m not a big red beet fan, but I love golden beets! I almost picked up some red beets at the store last night to juice…but they’re leaves looked way too wilted. Next time!
Try not to stress out with all the business stuff – this is your first time doing it! And you’re doing fabulously!!

Estela @ Weekly Bite January 15, 2010

Okay, I’m totally getting a juicer now!

megan January 15, 2010

ha, you just motivated me to “encourage” my husband to do a whittle my middle type thing with me. i’ll let you know how it goes

Jolene January 15, 2010

I love beets! But I have never had beet juice …

I am shocked that people can get up so early … even going to bed at 9:00 I couldn’t get up at 4 or even 5:30. I would be physically sick!! I wish I was able to get up earlier!

Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen January 15, 2010

i wish i could afford a good juicer…i’m not sure if i’d fall in love with the faint of heart drinks, but i would love to try!

Christie @ Honoring Health January 15, 2010

I have to cut the beets in half and in quarters if they are really big. I also juice them on high. Hope that helps!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 15, 2010

Awww…sorry the number counting down didn’t work! I’d actually like to try that brain dump thing myself…sounds like it could be therapeutic!

Your juice is lovely this morning!

Asta Sigrun January 15, 2010

Here is the best recipe EVER for green juice:)

A whole cucumber
2 celery silks
1 lime
handful of fresh mint – then add to taste
1 cup water (or to taste:)
piece of ginger

Juice it and glow. It utterly amazing:)

As I’ve not got a juicer I use my blender. Then I strain the juice and use the pulp to bake bread:) I freeze it if I’m not sure if I’m making it soon or not:)
When I say strain- I mean squeeze it untill there is NO juice left in that bad boy! I have a handy bad to do it, but you can do it through a towel, a drainer or even a CLEAN nylon sock:)

For those who are not quite there yet as its sometimes a bit strong- add a banana or mango og fruit and it will make it wee sweeter:)

Asta Sigrun January 15, 2010

Ps the recepie is from a woman here in Iceland called Solveg Eiriksdottir- she calls herself Raw Solla:) http://www.rawsolla.com/

Jil January 15, 2010

That juice looks delicious! I don’t think I’ve ever eaten a beet — hmm..perhaps something I should get around to. The do lend such a pretty color to anything (including your hands haha).

Katie O. @ Fit to Wed January 15, 2010

The counting backwards from 300 in intervals of three doesn’t work for me either. I vote for the brain dump! Good luck getting everything situated with the business- you work incredibly hard!

Diana January 15, 2010

I would suggest the blog fairy! she is amazing! i have worked with her a few times and she is great!!

Laura Georgina January 15, 2010

I need to hit my reset button and try the early-waking thing again next week again. It worked well on Monday and Tuesday, but the rest of the week has been a major fail. It’s probably because I don’t HAVE to be up that early unless I run (and I was a bit injured this week so there was no need to be up past Monday). But next week I start some freelance work in the evenings and I have to get up if I want to get a run in. As they say, necessity is the mother of invention!

I think I’d get up easier if I had a juicer, though :-)

Stina @ Girl Can January 15, 2010

I cannot stand beats. I try adding them to salad and other things to mask the flavor, but I can always taste them. UGH! The funny thing about that is as a toddler/ small child I used to love them. My mom tells me I would eat them all the time. To the point where my pee would start to be tinted (probably an overshare, I know). Maybe I just burned myself out on them when I was young.

skinnyrunner January 15, 2010

your beet juice is so pretty looking at least!

Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life January 15, 2010

I’ve never had a real beet…unless you count the canned stuff!

Carolyn January 15, 2010

I don’t think I’ve ever had a beet. Now I’m torn b/c you hate them and Jenna just posted a “I heart beets” post. ;)

Ameena January 15, 2010

I love beets but I’m not sure if I’d want to drink them…I prefer to chew on them!

Morgan @ Healthy Happy Place January 15, 2010

I love raw beets, but I’ve never tried them juiced. I’ll have to test out your recipe!

Jasmine (Sweet and Fit) January 15, 2010

i have horrible insomnia and also tried counting down from 300 last night, but i just got realllly bored – I’m going to try the brain dump tonight, thanks!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 15, 2010

“You know you are getting up early when your cat squints at you with one eye and then puts his head back down to go to sleep!”

haha this made me giggle! My cats do the same thing when I have early mornings :)

Dalynn January 15, 2010

Whenever I have insomnia, I use a trick my husband taught me. I imagine there are lots of empty boxes sitting in my mind, and I start placing each thought into a box, placing a lid on it and stacking it into a corner. I move through until all of my thoughts have been put in boxes and most often this helps me get to sleep. It sounds weird, but it really works for me. And this is coming from someone who had horrible insomnia a few years ago!

Casey (@Spicy&Sweet) January 15, 2010

You know what? I don’t think I’ve ever eaten a beet. Huh.

Maybe I’ll buy a juicer and try my first beet ever!

Lauren @ Eater not a runner January 15, 2010

I love beets but hate how I manage to stain everything in my kitchen pink when I make them!

Kelly January 15, 2010

Lol I try to count by 3s backwards from 300 last night too, it was just too much thinking for 2 in the morning!

Jocelyn January 15, 2010

I love beets! I used to shy away from this but this year I started adding them to my salads and I can’t get enough. I’ve never been brave enough to try them in a smoothie but I’ll have to add them next time. Thanks!!

sara January 15, 2010

I was never very adventurous with my juicer. I was making green juice ALL the time but always added an apple and lime to sweeten things up. After seeing your post, I was inclined to try a savory one instead. I used cucumber, carrots, celery, a beet, lime, ginger, and half a clove of garlic … It was DELICIOUS!!!

And PS: I <3 your cat! When I get up in the morning, my dog crawls under the covers and puts his head UNDER the pillow so he can go back to sleep.

Jennifer January 15, 2010

I just got some golden beets, at least you don’t have to worry about your hands being stained. They were delicious. Wish I had a juicer!! I’ll put that on my list.

Jessica @ The Process of Healing January 15, 2010

First, I love love love the quote at the end of your post. SO incredibly true.

And I also hate beets. I’ve even tried golden beets, which are supposed to be sweeter, but it’s a no go. To each their own right?

And I am seeing results from WMM2 already!!! Love it!

Astrid January 15, 2010

I am seeing results from WMM2, but my boyfriend is definately seeing more! His core feels much harder and he is definately losing the tummy. He calls it “Pare my Spare” instead of “Whittle my Middle”. It has been awesome. I hate HATE the plank ups by the way.

Allison January 15, 2010

Did you try counting down by 3′s from 300? that is supposed to be harder and stops you from thinking about anything else because your so focused.

Ashley January 15, 2010

You’ll love the beet and pear combo.

And yes I have the same problem with my Breville with beets. If I had a low setting it might juice them a little better, but alas I don’t.

Page 1 of 212»