Not For The Faint Of Heart

Bonjour!

Early Rising Challenge: Day 2!

I feel like a new woman and it has only just begun! Last night I was in bed by 10:30pm. I can’t remember the last time I was in bed that early!!!! Truly ground-breaking for me. I think I fell asleep around 11:30pm, so this is definitely progress.

I was up and at ‘em at 6:30am again this morning. It wasn’t as hard to get up this morning which was nice.

I made a big pot of Japanese Sencha and then stumbled over to the treadmill for an amazing interval workout. Intervals are my favourite cardio workout!

The walking hill workout:

• 5 min warm-up at 4.0mph, incline 10%
  • 2 mins. at 4.3mph, incline 10%
  • 3 mins at 4.0 mph, incline 15%
  • 5 mins at 4.2 mph, incline 15%
  • REPEAT 2, 3,& 4 three times
  • 5 min Cool down (speed 3.5-2.5, incline 10-0%)
  • Total: a very sweaty 50 min workout!

Showered, came downstairs, and made a wonderful fresh juice!

IMG_9330

The ingredients today were quite crazy!

Not For The Faint Of Heart Juice

• 1/2 Lime
  • Small piece ginger
  • 1/2 beet
  • 3 stalks organic celery
  • 3 organic carrots

Made a wonderful sorbet again! Cherry beet and lime sorbet, perhaps? ;)

IMG_9333

After stirring:

IMG_9344

HUBBA HUBBA is all I could say about this juice. It was delicious in its’ own strange beet-y way! The beet was the first thing I tasted followed by the celery, lime, and ginger. Carrots got lost. If you prefer sweet juices this is not for you- you might want to add an apple or berries?

I loved how healthy this tasted. For me, the weirder it tastes the more I like it. :D

IMG_9337

The wheels are a spinning!

IMG_9348

Breakfast was another delicious Banana Bread Baked Breakfast Cake!

IMG_9240

Now I’m going to watch Conan’s monologue from last night then I’ve got an ultrasound to go to followed by a loooooooong 10+ hour day of baking.

A secret ingredient for the new Valentine’s Day Glo bar just arrived too! :D So excited.

I also just realized that I missed the airing of my radio interview this morning! Oops.

Blogging continues to be CRAZY fast now that hyperlinking works. Hallelujah!!!

GIT ER DONE!

Angela_Signature

1 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 13, 2010

I can’t get over how pretty the juice pulp looks. I am a sucker for bright colors. And anything sparkly. :)

2 katherine January 13, 2010

The juice looks wonderful! Aren’t beets and ginger great additions to fresh juice??

3 Krysta January 13, 2010

A. I have heard that beets are a great addition to fresh juice, although I have yet to try it myself.

B. Um, ultrasound?? Is there something I misssd?!

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2010

B. Nope! :)

5 Julia January 15, 2010

I was wondering the same thing = ) I actually got really excited you!! Someday you’ll have cute little “green” monsters running around!! Ha!

6 Jackie January 13, 2010

I’m new to juicing as well. I wanted to put some beet in my juice this AM…should I peel it first? and if so, is it easy to do while completely raw or do you have to do something special? thanks!!!

7 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2010

I peeled it but not sure its necessary!

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2010

oops sorry i thought you meant ginger, I did not peel my beets.

9 Jewel@fit-and-fabulous-jewel January 13, 2010

I don’t peel either beet or ginger and I put both in all of my juices!

10 Diana January 13, 2010

wow! the juice looks so pretty!
hope everything goes ok at your ultrasound. i’m so excited to hear about valentines day glo bars!
diana

11 Deirdre January 13, 2010

Ultrasound? Hmmmmmm

12 rachael January 13, 2010

Your blog is making me really want to buy a juicer. Can you talk more about how annoying the clean up is to deter me? :)

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2010

its annoying because I still havent cleaned mine from this morning. However i figure I wash so many dishes with the bakery what is a few more?

14 AGS January 13, 2010

I found it to be a bit of a pain, because sometimes it took a while to clean up all the little bits of pulp from the juicer metal section. It becomes part of a routine — and I’d often make a little extra juice for morning that would be rushed (so I didn’t have to mess with clean-up).

15 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 13, 2010

Good job with the workout. I like doing interval because they really help keep your mind off the time!

16 skinnyrunner January 13, 2010

i want to know what you are going to do with all that pulp!

17 Estela @ Weekly Bite January 13, 2010

You’re making want to get a juicer now!

18 Run Sarah January 13, 2010

I LOVE the brightness of that juice! Excited to see what you do with pulp – wasting part of the fruit/veg is what turns me off juicing!

19 Molly @thevegandorm January 13, 2010

Lime+ginger is my fav combo. I susually have it with Romaine and apple, but I’d love to try a beet!

20 Michelle @ Eatingjourney January 13, 2010

add clove of garlic…so good.

21 Majl January 13, 2010

Your juices concotions are inspiring and look amazing! I’d love to get a juicer but find it painful enough as it is to clean out my food processor, blender, and my garlic press.

22 Christie @ Honoring Health January 13, 2010

I love the beet flavor! The beet greens are good, too!

23 Erin Beasley January 13, 2010

I like that you ended your post with “GIT R DONE”. Hilarious!!

24 Jordan the Exploravore January 13, 2010

I used to use beets all the time when I first got the juicer but have been sticking with green for the most part lately with the occassional carrot thrown in. Isn’t mixing it up fun?!
Anyhoo, I had made a cake/bread/big square muffin type thing with some leftover carrot/beet/apple pulp and added some shredded coconut before. I’m excited to see what you turn it into!

25 Morgan @ Life After Bagels January 13, 2010

whoa valentine’s glo bars . . . how romantic!

26 Ameena January 13, 2010

The juice pulp looks so festive!

I hope your ultrasound goes well…nothing to worry about I hope?

27 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2010

Hope not!

28 Eve January 13, 2010

Beets are one of my all time favorite vegetables!! They are so pretty too.

29 Meredith (Pursuing Balance) January 13, 2010

Your breakfast looks great! You may have mentioned, but do you have an early rising goal? Like is 6:30 it (plenty early, in my opinion!) or are you working your way down to an even earlier time (like 5AM)?

30 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2010

Yes I hope to be up even earlier than 6:30am..im starting slow. I have a goal in mind but dont want to jinx myself yet.

31 AGS January 13, 2010

A thought: I find that it is good to have a “range” for getting up. I get up *around* 5:30 each morning. Ideally, I’d be up at 5 a.m., and I hate getting up after 6 a.m. But I need a little give and take, and I’ve found that about 5:30 just works for me. Sometimes it’s a little earlier, sometimes later — but usually within 15 minutes of 5:30. Maybe it will be the same for you.

32 s January 13, 2010

Hi

I notice you do ALOT of cardio (almost every single day it seems). Other than the wittle your middle exercises, do you do any strength training?

I am wondering if I should do less strength and more cardio

33 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2010

I can’t give you specific advice as I am not trained to do so, but for me, I find the WMM is a great all over body resistance workout (esp arms too) and my legs get really toned from the hill workouts. If I wasnt doing WMM I would consider doing weights too.

34 Ash @ Good Taste. Healthy Me January 13, 2010

yikes. That is some crazy juicing today! :)

35 Lauren @ Eater not a runner January 13, 2010

Good work on waking up early! I am trying to do the same…

And I love beets in my juice…yum.

36 Britt @ Runnerbelle January 13, 2010

That juice looks awesome!! I need a juicer…..

Hope the ultra sound goes well…. I had one a couple weeks ago where I found out I have an ovarian cyst… a huge one at that. Blah!

37 veronica January 13, 2010

tasty!

38 Nae January 13, 2010

Gosh, I wish I had a juicer! ..or a blender. … or a real sized kitchen. But anyways!

Good luck with the ultrasound :)

And great job with delish juice. NOM!

39 David January 13, 2010

I hate doing intervals but they end up working about as well as anything for breaking a good sweat.

Nicely done!

40 Ashley January 13, 2010

Beet is great with a knob of ginger. I did beet, pear, celery, carrot, and a knob of ginger this morning. Yum!

But honestly all I saw in this post was ULTRASOUND!

Now I have to check your Blog a million times more a day not to miss your next update!

41 Janna (Just Flourishing) January 13, 2010

That is some redddd juice!

Good luck with the ultrasound.

42 Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life January 13, 2010

I can’t get over the breakfast-so good!

Good luck at the ultrasound!!

43 Lauren @ Reading and Running January 13, 2010

I admire your guts in loving all kinds a weird juices/smoothies/foods. That is definitely something I need to work on! Good luck at your appointment, hope all is well.

44 Angela January 13, 2010

This makes me want to get a juicer even more! Good luck at your ultra sound!

45 Kristin January 13, 2010

All of my favorite bloggers have some mystery going on today. Jenna over at eatliverun had a “date” You are having an ultrasound… you guys are killing me today.

Anyway, I hope it goes well!

46 Jennifer January 13, 2010

I agree! They have peaked my curiosity!

47 Casey (@Spicy&Sweet) January 13, 2010

Baked breakfast cake?? YUM!! Sounds amazing. And your workouts are so inspiring! :)

48 amy January 13, 2010

ultrasound?!?!?!?!?

49 Sana January 13, 2010

The juice looks soo pretty- I feel like it would taste sweet! I am so happy that you keep the pulp, I think most people just throw it away.

50 Stina January 13, 2010

love that your juices always end up looking so fancy in their wine glasses!

51 Chelsea January 13, 2010

Beet, Kale, Lemon, and Carrot are a REALLY great combo. YOM.

52 Lauren January 13, 2010

I love that you’re trying to put your pulp to good use. I’ve never seen anyone else do that!

53 Tracey @ TropicalHappiness January 13, 2010

Hahaha, I came on here to post a comment saying “Ultrasound?” but then saw all of the others, so I’ll just say HELLO! Hope the appointment goes well.

54 Mo January 13, 2010

Is it wrong that I keep checking back every half-hour or so today to look for updates on your ultra-sound mystery?!?!

I gotta make that breakfast pudding – I drool over it daily now!

55 Cynthia (It All Changes) January 13, 2010

Weird is not my thing. Strange maybe but weird I just can’t do.

56 Paige @ Running Around Normal January 13, 2010

I can’t wait to start juicing beets! We got a juicer for Christmas, too, and so far I’ve just been tinkering with carrots, grapefruit, and apples. Celery would be a nice addition, too. Isn’t cleaning it a pain, though?!

Nice interval workout!

57 Niki January 13, 2010

I like to give my juices/smoothies fun names too! I really like yours :) My last one was Willie Rainbow! The ingredients were all so colorful! Wow that breakfast cake looks so good! I didn’t click on the link yet but I’m definitely heading that way. Thanks

58 Bec January 13, 2010

My favorite juice is beets, carrot, ginger, lime and spinach. You should try this combination. It is delicious!

59 Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) January 13, 2010

Love the new juice!!

xoxo
K

60 Sarah January 13, 2010

What beautiful juice that is! Hope all goes well at the appt.

61 Cheryl January 13, 2010

Mmmmm….yummy juice!! I`m going to buy some discount bin organic veggies and give it a try…..can`t pass up the benefits anymore!

62 Tania January 13, 2010

ive had your baked bfast cake on the brain since the first recipe you posted! thanks for the yummy idea!

63 Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 13, 2010

Great looking juice Angela – I love beets! And great work on the interval session – boy do they do wonders!

64 Dana January 13, 2010

Hi Angela!
I love reading your blog, and I am so glad that you opened a vegan bakery in a fairly small town (from what I know about Milton). I also live in a small town and sometimes feel I’m the only one with these ideas. I think it’s fantastic and so needed! Anyways, I am also a health nut and although you’ve probably already heard about this conference, I thought it might be a good spot for your Glo bars to be featured.
Best wishes!

65 Gina January 13, 2010

I’ve been getting up earlier this week as well for early morning workouts (and in bed by 10!). I love how much time I have in the evenings now, but I kind of have this weird groggy feeling all day…I hope that’s just my body getting used to the different sleep/awake hours!

66 Kelly January 13, 2010

Hey Ang,

Im wondering if you can give us an up to date recipe for the morning cakes. You mentioned that you had been modifying it? Thanks!

67 Salina January 13, 2010

I was just wondering — I was lucky enough to be given a juicer but haven’t used it much because a) it is so annoying to clean, and b) I don’t like the waste either.. I was inspired to give it another go when I saw the delicious meal you made yesterday. I have a couple of questions tho, and wanted to know your thoughts.

Firstly, do you think the nutrional content of the vegetables are depleted after juicing? And how could you go about putting those nutrients back into them? Looking at the second lot of vegies you juiced, if you cooked them up, it would make awesome baby food (triggered by your “ultrasound” comment… Although I’m pregnant, I just hope you’re ok.) but I don’t want to feed my child something that it nutrionally void… What do you think???

68 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2010

I’m just guessing but I would assume that the nutrients are removed when juicing and thus, the pulp is just the fiber. I am really not sure though. I would not expect that it would make for a nutritious baby food.

basically the reason I am using the pulp is two fold: 1) So im not throwing out food, and 2) To get back that fibre in my diet. :)

69 Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen January 13, 2010

that juice is beautiful but scary! i definitely would add some berries for sweetness, but it’s such a GORGEOUS jewel color :)

70 Danica January 13, 2010

That juice look sooo pretty but I think it might taste too healthy for ME LOL….I know don’t know it til I try it, right? LOL….

71 sarah (the SHU box) January 13, 2010

ultrasound(!)
i know you didn’t put that in there by accident :) what a teaser! i am getting all excited just imagining a little glo baby.

hope all is well!!

72 Krista January 13, 2010

I get up every day at 5:30 and it is definitely a struggle, no matter how much sleep I get! I got the same juicer for christmas and so far I love it! I’m a “sweet juice” kind of girl though and haven’t really come around to liking carrots or beets yet, but I’m trying! Citrus and apples have been my favorite so far. The clean up is a pain, but I like knowing that my husband and I are drinking nutritious juice without any added sugar. I can’t wait to try some of your recipes!

73 Jenny January 13, 2010

I did a walking/interval treadmill workout today inspired by you! It was amazing :)

And I love the feeling of waking up early in non-groggy state, just for going to bed a bit earlier.

74 Christy January 13, 2010

I really need to give this baked breakfast cake recipe a shot! Looks & sounds very good!

75 Jolene January 13, 2010

I need to make that breakfast – it looks so good!! I wish I had a treadmill at home … that would make working out in the morning so much easier. To get ready and go to the gym is just SO unappealing.

76 Becky January 14, 2010

Guys- there are tons of reasons people get ultrasounds that have nothing to do with a baby. I had one when I was having kidney problems, and people get them for other reasons too. It doesn’t necessarily mean anything related to being pregnant!

77 s January 16, 2010

I believe she also had an ultrasound when she had her injury, so it is probably a follow up thing.

78 Claire July 11, 2010

Angela,

What kind of juicer do you use? We don’t have one, but want to purchase one soon. I’d love to know what you would recommend.

79 Claire July 11, 2010

80 Yina October 22, 2014

Hi Angela,
I have been reading your blog for quite a while now and have to say I love it. Already tried a lot of your recipes and they all where great!!! YUM!!!!
I just wanted to ask which juicer you use. Trying to find one, but there are o many from really cheap to oh soooo expensive. Could you maybe recommend one?

Thank you so much for sharing all this with us :-)

Kind regards

81 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 23, 2014

Hi Yina,
I’m afraid I don’t have a brand of juicer to recommend at the moment – my previous one bit the dust! I would suggest reading some reviews on Amazon for brand ideas. I haven’t had a juicer in the house for a few years now (sniff sniff haha)