A Kitchen Appliance Confessional

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on January 12, 2010

The Early Rising Challenge has begun!

Last night I was in bed over 1 hour earlier than usual (around 11pm instead of after midnight), however I didn’t end up falling asleep until 12:30am. My body is very much on a consistent schedule, so it is going to take me a while to adjust.

Some good did come of it. I got up just after 6:30am this morning, despite getting just 6 hours of sleep. I know I am going to be dragging today, but I think the only way I will be able to get my body on a new schedule is to have a few sleep deprived days. Everything will even out. :) My reward was Baked Breakfast Cake. Mmmmmm. So worth it. Plus, I just made a huge pot of Japanese Sencha and I am going to workout + WMM2, so I think that will have me feeling energized for a long baking day!

A Kitchen Appliance Confessional

IMG_9249

My name is Angela and I am scared of new kitchen appliances.

IMG_9268

Cooking? Baking? Whipping up crazy recipes? I’m down. You know I thrive on that stuff.

Figuring out a new kitchen appliance that has the potential to chew my finger off? I’d rather clean my closet than open the box. [Yes, I actually cleaned out the closet when I was supposed to be unpacking the juicer! Classic Avoidance Syndrome.]

The first step is admitting you have a problem.

So here I am, coming clean to you guys today.

Remember this beautiful food processor that Eric bought me for my birthday in 2009? Well, I broke it within the first 2 minutes (trying to process soft dates). I somehow managed to convince Kitchen Aid to send me a new food processor and embarrassingly, the new processor has been sitting in the box ever since.

I have been using my old half-broken processor all this time while a new one sits in the box! Typing it out sounds absurd, actually!

However, I stand sit here before you vowing to overcome my fear. I am determined, not only to become a food processing whiz, but to master my juicer, in every way, shape, and form.

I will start with the juicer. I channeled my inner fabulous goddess, Kris Carr from Crazy, Sexy, Life. [For Kris’s thoughts on juicing read the interview I did with her here! She talks about the benefits of juicing and her favourite superfoods and juice recipe.]

Behold the Breville Juice Fountain Plus:

IMG_9250

As you can see, I was able to figure it out! It was actually really easy.

Look OSGMOM, 10 fingers! :D

IMG_9252

I created my very first juice!

IMG_9251

Rainbow Sorbet Juice

Ingredients:

• 1 large field cucumber, not peeled
  • 1 organic apple, cut into thirds, not peeled, stem removed
  • 1 lemon, peeled
  • 1 cup organic baby carrots (grocery store was out of whole organic carrots)

Directions: Juice, stir, and serve immediately! I juiced the lemon on low and the rest on high.

Tip: Put a grocery bag in the pulp container so clean up is easy.

It created this beautiful juice that looked exactly like rainbow sorbet (albeit melted) that I used to eat so much as a child!

The order I juiced was: 1) Lemon, 2) Apple, 3) Cuke, 4) Carrots

IMG_9253

Seriously fun.

IMG_9255

I read you are supposed to toss the big pulp pieces before baking with it. Rather than throw any pulp out, I would rather process it all in the food processor to thin it out and make it even. Or you could just throw all of it directly into a soup! I like big chunks in my soup. :)

IMG_9259

I have big plans for this pulp, don’t you worry!

I will let you know what I make with this. Eric and I tasted some pulp and we were so surprised at how tasteless it was! The juice has ALL the taste!

The juice really is the LIFE of the produce.

IMG_9262

It made about three of these wine glasses!

[Sorry for the bad lighting, it is dark outside and flash batteries are dead.]

IMG_9261

I was DYING to try it. I poured the glass and took a sip…

I was instantly floored by the taste. My taste buds were literally dancing!

The apple and lemon paired so well together, however the juice was not too sweet nor too sour. Just perfect. The cucumber and carrot were lovely as well, although not as pronounced. Just perfect background flavours, if you will.

Eric even liked it himself and drank his glass. I drank two full glasses and could have drank more but my belly was about to burst.

If I could describe it in one word it would be FRESH.

It was the purest tasting juice I have ever had by far. It was fun picturing the healthy nutrients being absorbed into my blood. But maybe I am just a nerd like that!? ;)

However, no review would be complete without a couple cons:

1) The cleanup was sort of a pain. Several of the parts are dishwasher safe, but my dishwasher typically doesn’t have much room in it due to all of the dishes I use in a day! I did it by hand and then put them on a towel to air dry. No biggie.

2) It is expensive. Eric and I figured that the juice we made was at least $3-4 worth of produce. Ouch! I can’t see myself juicing every day, but I can see myself doing it 3 times per week, alternating with Green Monsters. I think if I can use the pulp in my cooking, I can justify it a little more since I am not throwing anything away. This will just get my creative wheels a spinning.

Have you ever had fresh juice before? What is your favourite recipe?

I’m so excited to experiment with all kinds of fruits and veggies. Please share your fav. combos below! I bought some beets, organic celery, and fresh ginger too. I wonder if they go together?

Off to workout my big strong heart then a full day of baking + shipping…zing, zing, zing!!! Have a great day everyone!

Angela_Signature

Mrs. Money January 12, 2010 at 8:44 am

Try carrot/ginger. That is so yummy!! :)

Anne January 12, 2010 at 8:48 am

I love the MM dance party reference!

2 tips on juicing and saving $$$

1) Try to hit up the discounted produce bin when possible, carrots and apples are often plentiful in there, and perfectly fine for juicing

2) instead of using a whole peeled lemon, you can use ~1/4 unpeeled lemon – the taste should be similar, and that way you get all the benefits from the skin + use less lemons

your idea of souping up the remaining veg. is great!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 12, 2010 at 8:48 am

I haven’t tried it and I am dying to! Yours looks like rainbow sherbet. :)

Aoife January 12, 2010 at 9:00 am

Yay! Looks yummy! Am always wondering what to do with the pulp, seems like such a waste to throw it out…can’t wait to see your tips :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) January 12, 2010 at 9:23 am

I knew you would love it! I love my juicer so. It IS expensive, but I combat it (slightly) by not only cutting down on juicing around 3-4x a week, but usually mostly vegetables (which tend to be cheaper than fruit) and just a little fruit for sweetness.

xoxo
Kris

Heather (Where's the Beach) January 12, 2010 at 9:28 am

Anytime I think of juicers, I think of one a past step-father had purchased. Nothing fancy and apparently that meant no fancy (or tasty) juices either. LOL

Molly @thevegandorm January 12, 2010 at 9:28 am

I love making a juice with apple, Romaine or kale, ginger, and lime! So spicy and delicious!

Diana January 12, 2010 at 9:30 am

WOW! Looks and sounds yummmy! I’ve never tried juicing but this makes me want to. Another item for my “wish list”.
Diana

megan January 12, 2010 at 9:31 am

i’ve actually never had fresh juice! I really want to try it, but it’s always so expensive at restaurants.

couple questions – do you think you’re getting all the nutrients/benefits you would be if you just ate the fruit/vegetables by themselves? What about fiber, etc that is in the skin? I’ve always been curious about that.

Beth January 12, 2010 at 10:55 am

Leaving the fiber out makes the juice much easier for your system to digest, and therefore easier for your body to absorb the nutrients. Your body just has to work less.

rhodeygirl January 12, 2010 at 9:33 am

I have a small Breville juicer someone gave us for the wedding but it is still in the box. I already do so many dishes! I don’t feel like adding more. I bet that will change this summer though.

Danielle (Coffee Run) January 12, 2010 at 9:36 am

Ohh I’ve been wanting to try juicing! Does it fill you up?

[email protected] January 12, 2010 at 9:43 am

I am so jeolous! I wish I had a juicer. I was drooling looking at your juice pics.

Stefanie January 12, 2010 at 9:45 am

I love apple and celery together and sometimes apple, celery, carrots, cucumber!!! It’s very refreshing and I drank them all the time back in high school when I wouldn’t eat any veggies. I did love juice though :)

Morgan @ Life After Bagels January 12, 2010 at 9:48 am

I got a food processor for Christmas and it’s like it’s too exciting, I haven’t taken it out of the box either.

And I went to bed early last night wanting to wake up at 6am but I slept until 8, not a good idea, so busy!

Alina January 12, 2010 at 10:02 am

I saw a recipe for crackers made from pulp not too long ago. I would love to see you try that! If there is a way to make that taste good, it would be such an exciting grain-free cracker option!

Laura January 12, 2010 at 10:37 am

I was about to comment the same thing. :-) I think I saw it on Kath’s blog?

Estela @ Weekly Bite January 12, 2010 at 10:02 am

I would love to have a juicer someday! :)

Christie @ Honoring Health January 12, 2010 at 10:03 am

I juice daily, sometimes twice per day. It is exepensive but I have already seen wonderful benefits from it. I do like your idea to line the pulp container with a bag and then use the leftover pulp. I can’t wait to see what you do with it.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 12, 2010 at 10:16 am

Mmmm…I love fresh juice..but I know that it can be a mess!

Sorr you have so much trouble falling asleep– that is SO frustrating :-(

katherine January 12, 2010 at 10:23 am

I love juicing! My usual recipe is:

1/2 cucumber
5-6 kale leaves
1/2 – 1 apple
1/2 lemon
1″ fresh ginger
1/2 beet

So so so good!

For the pulp, you can make crackers, breads and macaroons. I’d recommend checking out the blogs “Soap and Chocolate” and “Choosing Raw” for some good suggestions.

Leah @ L4L January 12, 2010 at 10:28 am

I love juice! It’s cheaper for me b/c I get 90% of my fresh produce from Costco in bulk. A 20 lb bag of carrots and a 10 lb bag of apples will make a lot of juice!

AGS January 12, 2010 at 10:30 am

I haven’t used my juicer in ages. Alas.

I did enjoy a simple combination: apple, carrot, celery, and a little beet (to give it a gorgeous ruby color). Enjoy. It is hard to go back to any other kind of juice once you’ve had fresh juice.

You could also investigate using frozen fruits. Some friends used to “juice” frozen bananas and strawberries and it was very similar to icecream/sorbet (just whole, natural fruit). Not sure if that will work with all juicers.

AGS January 12, 2010 at 10:31 am

I always threw the left-over pulp into cooked brown rice, or added it to tomato sauce. Waste not, want not.

Shannon January 12, 2010 at 10:33 am

I am the same way with new appliances. They sort of scare me. I’m glad this one worked out so well. It looks delish!

Laura January 12, 2010 at 10:43 am

I love the celery, carrot, and ginger combo. If you buy juiced drinks at smoothie bars, then they are usually $3-4, so the home juicer is a bargain compaired to store-purchased drinks. For the carrot pulp, I use this with raisins for spiced oatmeal carrot raisin muffins. Enjoy!

natalie @ nono2yoyo January 12, 2010 at 10:49 am

I’ve always thought it would be super expensive too, in order to get enough juice from the fruit. But I’d love to get a juicer and give it a try. In fact I could go for some fresh squeezed juice right about now! Good job on getting up early! I used to be a night own and had a hard time getting up early. When my husband and I met things changed. At first I HATED it. We actually got in a disagreement about bed time because I was so annoyed that he went to bed early and got up so early…i didn’t know if I could handle that my entire life. Things changed, but it took a long time. Now i’m an early riser and love it. I don’t love the fact that i’m tired and its early, but I get so much done. We do go to bed early and sometimes that sucks, but we make up for it by staying up late on the weekends. Getting up early changed so much for me! I think its an awesome challenge.

Jil January 12, 2010 at 10:49 am

Ahh, I have wanted a juicer so badly! It looks amazing!!

Beth January 12, 2010 at 10:49 am

This morning I made a cabbage, kale, carrot, apple and lime combo – it didn’t look pretty, but it tasted great!

I find that I get very little juice out of the kale (1tbsp per 2 leaves). I wouldn’t expect to get a lot out of it, but I’m just wondering if my juicer should be producing more. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Lauren @ Eater not a runner January 12, 2010 at 10:58 am

That looks like so much fun! I would love to have a juicer. I like beet, ginger, apple and carrot juice…yum!

Carbzilla January 12, 2010 at 11:01 am

See? I told you! So easy! I just kinda power through clean up right then, rinsing the plastic parts and scrubbing the screen with a scrub brush – then everything dries in the drainer. I’m not sure how much I pay for a 5 lb bag of carrots but I think that juice comes out cheaper.

I’d never thought to use the pulp in soup – genius!

Sarah January 12, 2010 at 11:12 am

I have never made my own juice before but I hope to someday. I like the ones I’ve tried out at places, even just carrot juice :)

Ameena January 12, 2010 at 11:13 am

I am exactly the same…it just seems so overwhelming having to learn about a new appliance and the manuals are so big! I usually just end up waiting a while until I absolutely need to use the new appliance and then break it out!

Beth @ DiningAndDishing January 12, 2010 at 11:21 am

I haven’t juiced before but I’d love to try it! Maybe I’ll start small by ordering some when I’m out. It’s a big investment so I better be sure I like it :). Yours sounds delish!

Joanna January 12, 2010 at 11:21 am

It helps to make the base of the juice a fairly cheap vegetable (like celery or carrot or whatever is on sale) and then throw in whatever fruit are looking a little sad in the fruit bowl. I find that fruit that doesn’t ripen properly at home (from having been picked too early, I think) so isn’t as tasty to eat still makes great juice – so I end up throwing a lot less away. Also, whenever the grocery store has 2-for-1 offers or deals on fruit in bulk, I pick it up and put it straight into the juicer. Hope you have a citrus part to your juicer, so you can make fresh squeezed orange juice in the mornings!

skinnyrunner January 12, 2010 at 11:25 am

ive never juiced before but my mom juices alot of fresh produce from her garden in the summer. looks pretty good!

OSGMOM January 12, 2010 at 11:46 am

Very happy to hear that you still have your ten fingers! I am guilty of often not reading instructions fully when I get a new kitchen appliance. The juice looks delicious & I would love to try a glass if I was closer!

Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen January 12, 2010 at 11:59 am

i’ve never juiced before, but i would definitely use carrots, apples, maybe some berries, and spinach :)

thanks for the review, new appliances are definitely scary sometimes!

Cindy January 12, 2010 at 12:29 pm

why yes I have, and I actually have some in my lunch for breakfast (cranberry/orange)

I make and drink many a green lemonade but my LOVE is Carrot Apple Ginger Cranberry.

absolutely hands down the best drink on planet earth!

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama January 12, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I have been juicing for the past month and I love it! This is my all time favorite – Apple Beet Carrot Strawberry then put into Vitamix with a banana, flax meal and ice. I love the red color!

Anne [email protected] Weigh of Life January 12, 2010 at 12:55 pm

My mom used to squeeze oranges to give us fresh juice. That’s about as close as I’ve gotten!

One Healthy Apple January 12, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I make the same combination when I juice! My husband actually makes it for me because I am scared of the juicer too. We have been using the pulp as a compost/natural fertilizer for our organic garden. I have seen people make crackers out of it too, so there are lots of uses!

Niki January 12, 2010 at 1:05 pm

I love how you put a trash bag in the disposal container. It makes total sense! Easy Clean-up. Great idea! I never would have thought of it.

Anneli (RETROClean) January 12, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Great job! I bought my husband that same juicer a year ago (he’s a health nut, which is a good thing). It makes great juice, and I was a bit afraid of it also. He got me to put it together just to get the hang of it (I let him learn how first) and it wasn’t too bad. Yes, you go through quite a bit of produce.

[email protected] January 12, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Your right, juicing can be expensive. I went through one bag of carrots to make a tiny bit of juice, but I loved every sip of it. have fun with your juicer. I juice once a week.

[email protected] January 12, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I love love love my fresh juice! Most mornings I struggle because I can’t decide between the Green Monster and the juice….although clean up is so much easier with the GM!

My favorite recipe:
3-4 organic carrots
1-2 organic apples (I love to juice galas)
a chunk of fresh organic ginger (energy and zing!)
a big chunk of organic beet (good for liver and blood)
a handful of organic parsley if I have it

I scrub everything…peel nothing! I only cut off the little rooty tips. I am a lazy juicer!

The ginger and beet…I started out with thin little slices of those way back when…but now I can tolerate the taste and put a big hunk of ginger and 1/3 to 1/2 of the beet!

The colors are beautiful!!! Happy juicing!!!!! (Happy and Juicing just go together!!)

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad January 12, 2010 at 1:31 pm

My first juicing experience was this past Sunday. I juiced a lemon, and apple, spinach, and a cucumber….It was delish!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers January 12, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Yay for new kitchen machines to become obsessed with!!

Chelsea January 12, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I think I put a whole meyer lemon in almost all my juices-it makes EVERYTHING taste good.

Cari January 12, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Hi Angela,

I just found your blog and I feel so encouraged! I will be reading through your archives to find some inspiration and tips for healthy living. I’m very new to this…

Have a great day!

Courtney January 12, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I’ve always wanted to juice – it just isn’t economical for me! I’ll have to stick with my green monsters. :]

Jen January 12, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Hi Angela,
I love reading your blog! I recently moved back to Canada after living in the UK…where I discovered Innocent Drinks. Innocent actually lists their recipes right on their cartons! See their website http://www.innocentdrinks.co.uk/ and look into their tasty delights! I made a few smoothies and now have their recipe book…so tasty!
Have fun juicing!
Jen

Leah January 12, 2010 at 2:45 pm

My dad used to make fresh juice for my brother and I when we were little. I would eat ANYTHING but my brother was totally anti health food. My dad would make apple juice and hide things like carrots in it to get some healthy goodness into my brother.
I loved it! And it always meant apple muffins because thats what my mom used the pulp for. SO GOOD!!

Cheryl January 12, 2010 at 2:58 pm

I agree juicing is super expensive – but indeed delicious. Green monsters work well for me. :-)

Erica R. January 12, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Green apple, orange, carrot! Add some spinach, and it’s kinda like a green monster! Beets are fun too. Oh, if you’re going to juice greens, always juice them first. have fun!

Kimberly January 12, 2010 at 3:23 pm

I love juicing…here are a few of my favs…

1) pineapple (they say you can leave the skin on, but I don’t…I think it’s ’cause I am too scared to try it with the skin)

2) Peach/Cantaloupe

3) 1.5 granny smith apple with 1.5 stick of celery…yummers!

Enjoy

Kimberly

Natasha January 12, 2010 at 3:28 pm

The first time I had juice from a juicer like that, it was at school when I was eight. We had carrot and celery. It looks like swamp water, but it tasted delish. Funnily enough, at that age, I was the only one who liked it… spot the nerdy kid who likes veggies ;-)

Rachel January 12, 2010 at 3:34 pm

I’ve never juiced before, but it looks great :D

erin January 12, 2010 at 3:35 pm

i LOVE juicing, and try to do it as often as possible – but you’re right, it’s very expensive. :(

my favorite recipe is called GREEN LEMONADE:
1 head romaine lettuce
5-6 stalks kale
1-2 apples (I usually use sweeter apples to balance the lemon)
1 lemon
1-2 inches ginger root
1 whole cucumber

this usually makes enough for my husband and i to each have a 16 oz glass. it is SO GOOD!!

Aletheia January 12, 2010 at 3:47 pm

My favourite combo is actually based off of the Green Hornet from Booster Juice. I have made it several times myself:

-Spinach
-Parsley
-Celery
-Carrots

It is absolutely delicious. Adding extra carrots for sweetness since no fruits being juiced = YUM!

Yes, I agree though – juicing IS expensive. Definitely a once-in-a-while treat. And I ALWAYS make use of the pulp. Either by mashing it with vinaigrette, adding it to guac, or by making juice pulp crackers or juice pulp falafel patties with them. It does help me justify the costs.

Ellen January 12, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Go easy on the ginger, it is VERY strong. A little slice should do the trick, you can add more with each juicing once you figure out what works for you.

When they’re in season, I LOVE pineapple, orange, apple with a bit of ginger, soooo good!

For veggies, I would use carrots as the base (you do have to use a lot, like 5 or 6 for a glass) with one or more of the following added: kale, beet, apple, celery, ginger.

The biggest treat so far has been that our juicer makes sorbet. I would recommend checking to see if yours does that. Just add frozen fruits of your choice and afterwards you can sweeten with agave nectar. Sooo good.

Thanks for posting the tips from Zen! Adapting to a 9-5 sleeping schedule is one of my New Year’s resolutions. in fact I blogged about it today–i was so excited that I went to bed at 10 and got up at 6:15. : ) Thanks again.

Caroline January 12, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Hey! I noticed that Kath baked her pulp into crackers, maybe you could do something similar!

Christina January 12, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Wow that juice sounds amazing! I’ve never had it fresh like that.

I totally understand about new kitchen appliances. It took me weeks to use my new food processor!

Guen January 12, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Actually, I had started to try juicing last fall and fell of the wagon very quickly. Didn’t love the taste of the recipes. At the beginning of the year I have been drinking a daily Green Monster to get me back on track ;)

Little Aspects January 12, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Here’s my favourite –

1 (green) apple
1 1/2 carrots (depending on how big they are)
1 small beetroot
1 1/2 inch (or bigger!) piece of ginger (I love it gingery!)

So refreshing and a pretty bright pink colour!

Welcome to the early morning world! I’m an early riser. I love getting up at 5am and having “me” time in the morning – it’s so peaceful and I’m definitely at my best then. I often get up early to do work during school term time (I’m a teacher) – and I power through everything at that time of day!

Lauren January 12, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Eh, I have a real aversion to washing dishes… I could totally see myself letting a juicer rot on my counter. But I would LOVE to come to your house and try some of your juice. :-)

Michelle January 12, 2010 at 5:41 pm

I work at Booster juice so I can get a great discount on juices and make them there — which is so nice because I doubt I’ll be buying my own juicer for a while! My fav combo is beet celery and apple, so yummy! I usually blend them with ice to make it more slushy.

Gracie @ Girl Meets Health January 12, 2010 at 5:49 pm

yum yum yum!!! For some reason those pictures and your description made me almost be able to *taste* the juice, haha! I only drink water, so the thought of fresh fruit “dancing in my mouth” is incredibly mouthwatering. I really want a juicer, but I can’t afford one at the moment :/ Recent college grad…you know the drill. haha!

Sophicita January 12, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Heya! I have been following your blog for about a month no but this is the first time I am writing a comment. Just wanted to congratulate you on all you have achieved! Absolutely fantastic! I also went through a phase of putting on some weight but managed to lose it all through lots of exercise and healthy eating. I also have quite a sweet tooth and adore cooking and baking so a healthy exercise regime is the only way to make sure I still fit into those skinny jeans! Reading your blog has motivated me to try harder and stop making excuses!! I have just started running more again after my first half marathon back in October and want to sign up for another one later this year!

Good Luck with the early rising challenge! It’s certainly tough this time of the year – I was on holiday in Japan recently and although the trip was exhausting we had no issues getting up at 6 or 7 because it was already bright daylight by the time we would leave our hotel. Back in Brussels, the sun barely starts to rise by the time I leave for work at 8.30! So depressing! Hopefully this is over soon – generally prefer working out in the morning but am struggling with getting out of bed. Then again, I just bought a good friend a daylight alarm clock, maybe I should invest in the same? Have you thought about getting one of those? They are supposed to wake you up gentler – made make the early rise less of a challenge though! ;-)

Maura @ Maura Me to Love January 12, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Congrats on the early rising challenge! My alarm clock went off this morning at 6:15am to do yoga…and then I hit snooze…for an hour. I will think of your post tomorrow morning when the alarm goes off, and use your positive thinking for motivation!

Stina January 12, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Loved your confession about your food processor! I kept complaining how I couldn’t make a lot of recipes because I didn’t have a food processor. Then, I got one as a gift back in November, and it’s still in it’s packaging. I’m scared, too!! Glad I’m not the only one:)

Samantha January 12, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Looks like you have a good juicer.I wish I had a juicer so I could make fresh juice. I just love the fresh taste.

Sarah January 12, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Watermelon, mint and ginger. So refreshing! (Sorry, it’s summer here Down Under and watermelon is in season!)

Also, carrot, apple and ginger or carrot, pear and ginger.

Mostly, I like any juice with ginger in it :-)

Jolene January 12, 2010 at 9:41 pm

I bought a juicer from Costco the other day, and haven’t used it yet. It was expensive (over $100) … and I am really struggling with whether or not I should return it.

The MAIN reason I want to return it is that I don’t want a BIG giant juicer sitting on my kitchen counter all the time … but I feel like if I put it away in a cupboard after every use, I will never use it because out of sight, out of mind.

I don’t know what to do!!

Jennifer January 12, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Pear, ginger, apple, celery and carrot – is the best – the pear and ginger are esp. great if you have a stomach upset.

I use my carrot pulp that is left over to make dairy free carrot cakes.

Julie @savvyeats January 12, 2010 at 11:11 pm

I’d love to be able to make fresh juice — we added the Breville to the wedding registry :)

kim January 12, 2010 at 11:24 pm

spinach, apple, carrot, celery, and lemon. the lemon makes it “all good”. parsley is nice thrown in there too but my hubby doesn’t love it. i think you are supposed to juice on an empty stomach for best absorption of nutrients-and wait 30 minutes or so before you eat anything. i read that our bodies expend alot of energy digesting food. juicing supposedly gives your digestive system a “rest” so your body can expend that energy on healing and rejuvenating other areas of your body. how cool is that?! there are some good recipes in natalia rose’s book “detox 4 women.” natalia blogs on kris carr’s website as well.

'Dee January 12, 2010 at 11:25 pm

OoOooOoooo…Breville! LOVE my Breville blender – there is no GM concoction I can come up with that can defeat that machine! Awesome brand.

I have the other problem – not fear of kitchen appliances but addiction to kitchen appliances. My husband may make me sleep outside if I bring any more home :-)

That juice really does look delish. Hmmm, how to smuggle in a juicer? Must ponder.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2010 at 8:22 am

haha Ive been known to set up appliances in the laundry toom

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2010 at 8:23 am

ROOM i meant

Audrey January 12, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Yum! I love love love the name you gave it–so perfect. I told my family about it while they were eating Rainbow Sherbet for dessert tonight. Talk about coincidences!

I’m confused about what the hyperlinking does to speed up blogging. Can someone enlighten me?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2010 at 8:22 am

Basically every time I tried to link text in a blog post, I would get an error. So for several months everytime I needed to link, I had to go into the source code and manually link it.
My link ‘memory’ was also broken, so all my saved links weren’t working.

Katie January 12, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Have you tried to read in bed before sleeping? Works for me every time!

Van January 13, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Yes I have tried it works all the time :)

Michal January 13, 2010 at 11:35 pm

yay on your new juicer I have the same one! Im bad with appliances too, I often rush into using them without reading the manual and end up with a mess.

LoveFeast Table January 28, 2010 at 8:15 pm

This is something I have been dreaming about for years!! Hopefully 2010 is a year that a juicer lives in my house!! Looks delish and refreshing!!