The Early Rising Challenge

It was COLD on our walk yesterday!!

IMG_9211

It was a bone chilling -13C/8.5F with a windchill of -23C! And boy was it windy.

Here I am with my father in law whom I love so dearly! We put a brave face on…

IMG_9213

But not for long!

IMG_9214

Thanks to this huge collar on this Lululemon sweater I got several years back, I was able to cover half my face!

IMG_9215

We walked for over an hour in the blistery cold and came across these beauts:

IMG_9217

I wanted to go riding!!!

IMG_9216

Meanwhile, back at the ranch…

Sketchie and Finnegan continued to fight for Alpha male.

IMG_9205

Sketchie plotting…

IMG_9202  IMG_9196

I think there is a wire in his brain stuck on ‘clean mode’.

POOPED on the car ride home (not literally!)

IMG_8268

It was a great getaway, but not long enough! We had to leave around 3pm because I had a lot of Glo Bakery work to be done Sunday night.

We came home to NO WATER in the house. Not a drip. We feared that our water pipes froze up. Around 9pm, there was a huge loud boom coming from our water pump and then we had running water again!

Eric and I managed to squeeze in Whittle My Middle and I had a 15 min treadmill run/walk workout.

I also made some overnight Banana Bread Baked Breakfast Cake:

IMG_9246

This time I doubled the oats, cut the nuts in half, and added dark chocolate chips with the bananas. Sooooo heavenly!!!

My Early Rising Challenge

I’ve always been a night owl for as long as I can remember. I have never been one for going to bed very early because I always have trouble falling asleep. I am certainly not one of those lucky people (e.g., Eric) that falls asleep within a few minutes of hitting the pillow!

However, I also love mornings. A lot. I love getting up early, getting a good workout in, and getting a few tasks crossed off my to-do list.

The only problem with my love for both late nights and early mornings is that they don’t really work well in tandem!

Eric also happens to be a night owl, so our schedules just sort of worked well together. I love spending time with my husband at night. I only get to see him a few hours each day.

Last year, I came across this fabulous article by Zen Habits called ‘10 Benefits of Rising Early‘. When I first came across it I knew it was something that I wanted to try out, however I never ended up committing to it. Leo, a former night owl himself, tells his tips on how he switched to rising early- at 5am every day. He claims that his entire life has changed for the better since he became an early riser. Not only does he feel more at peace in his life, he also gets much more accomplished.

Some of Leo’s tips for learning how to rise early are:

1) Start slow. Wake up just 15-30 minutes earlier for several days until you are used to it. Then get up earlier the next week, etc.

2) This seems obvious but you need to go to bed earlier if you are to function the next day. Leo says even if you don’t think you will fall asleep, go to bed and read. Often you will fall asleep faster than you thought.

3) Have a reason to get out of bed in the morning! Make a morning ritual that you look forward to. Maybe it is a delicious bowl of baked breakfast cake after your morning workout or maybe it is a favourite TV show or 30 minutes of your favourite book. Have a fun reward for getting up early!

4) Be productive. Make your early mornings productive and you will have a reason to stay committed to it. If you get good results, you are likely to stick with it!

For the rest of Leos tips and benefits to rising early, see the full article here. It is a must read!!

In case you haven’t guessed, I am challenging myself to rising early!

Over the next several weeks, I am going to slowly adjust my sleep-wake schedule.

I am going to monitor my progress andwill report back how it is going.

Are you a night owl or early bird? If you live with a boyfriend or husband, are you on the same sleep-wake schedules?

~~~

UPDATES:

• After 7 trials over the past several months, I was finally able to perfect my first Gluten-free Glo Bar!!!! Stay tuned for details in the upcoming weeks for the release.
  • My Recipes Page is all up to date now, including reader’s favourite breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert recipes!
  • Eric was able to fix my Windows Live Writer hyperlinking error. Eric found an error in my linkglossary.xml file (which is located in the WLW folder). Thank God it is now fixed. This will cut down my blogging time in half!

Enjoy your Moan-day! I have a full Gmail Calendar again and I am trying Day 2 of not multitasking (as much!). For a tutorial on how to use Gmail calendar see here.

Angela_Signature

Every failure brings with it the seed of an equivalent success.
Napoleon Hill

1 Gracie @ Girl Meets Health January 11, 2010

As a 23 year old, I am majorly struggling between my inner night owl and my love for waking up early! During the week I’m pretty successful with early rising because I LOVE how much I get accomplished during the morning hours. But then when the weekend rolls around and I inevitably stay out until 2 or 3am with my friends….well, let’s just say I have a pretty screwed up sleep schedule! However, I do make it a point to make up my “sleep debt” (as my mom calls it) so that I average 7-8 hours of sleep per night. As I get older, though, I definitely see myself continuing to be a morning person :) In fact, I might need to make that banana breakfast cake as another incentive for early rising!!

2 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 11, 2010

I love to be a night owl because growing up, my entire family was like that. Just like you, I only get to see my hubby a few hours each night. I have realized though that staying up later just doesn’t jive with my healthy habits. I prefer to get up early and workout. So we try to be in bed by 930-10. :)

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) January 11, 2010

I am such a night owl too. I do go into work at 7am though. Very difficult. Let’s just say that I wake up as late as possible and even eat breakfast at work. On the rare occasions when I manage to get up early enough to get in a morning workout, I love it. I feel like I have my evenings free. I just can’t seem to do it consistently.

4 Laura @ Food For La January 11, 2010

Yay for gluten-free bars!! That’s fantastic. There are only 3 gluten-free bars I love (KIND, Larabar, ThinkThin)so I’m really excited to try yours! Thanks for thinking of us all :)

5 jodie January 11, 2010

For the past 2 months I have been setting my clock to rise an etra 45 mins. I find I get a lot more done, the house is quiet, no distractions and I feel so accomplished. I will admit, if I am not able to get to bed early, it is a killer trying to wake up at 515a. Stay warm.

6 Jessica @ The Process of Healing January 11, 2010

Good luck with the challenge!! I used to go to bed early and get up early and I felt like I got a LOT accomplished. However, I have kind of reversed it and I don’t like it so much. I feel like half the day is gone by the time I get up and I have no time to do anything. I also really love the morning, the peace of it. But like you said, it doesn’t work if you don’t get enough sleep. I am also going to take your challenge and try it. I love the idea of rewarding yourself for getting up early, what a good idea!!!

7 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 11, 2010

I’m definitely an early to bed, early to rise person. I would go to bed at 8:00 if I could!!! My husband is more of a night person, but he has pushed his bedtime earlier and earlier since we’ve been together. Now, we’re both on the same schedule and are usually in bed by 10:00. Nerd alert!!

That walk looks SO beautiful– those horses you came upon are lovely!

My vote is for Sketchie in the alpha cat contest :-)

8 Kate January 11, 2010

I’d have to say I’m both, depending on how much sleep I’ve gotten lately. :) Thankfully when my boyfriend stays over, he goes to bed early with me (when he’s home, he averages 2am on work nights!). I try to get 7-9 hours most nights and sometimes alter my schedule to achieve this. If, however, I get 6 hours or less one night, I’ll make sure to get a full nights sleep the next. :) Mornings are so pretty though! My favorite time of the day since most everyone isn’t up – it’s so peaceful!

9 megan January 11, 2010

great tips on rising early! I love to get up early, but like you, i have a husband who wants to stay up late. i love it when we go to bed at the same time, so we both end up compromising a little. it works, but then i don’t want to get up in the morning. lately we’ve both been working out in the morning though, so that helps :)

10 Molly @thevegandorm January 11, 2010

If you ever visit St. Louis, MO, I will take you riding!
When I left St. Louis on Sunday, it was 1 degree! I kept complaining, and now that I hear that it was warmer in Canada, I feel like all my complaints are justified haha!

11 Micco January 11, 2010

I read that article a while back, too, and I was just thinking about it this morning. I’m a night owl, too, but I need to wake up earlier so I can workout before class (get there before all the treadmills are full!). Ohhh, but it’s so cold in the early morning… Do you ever find the weather discouraging in this regard?

12 skinnyrunner January 11, 2010

im an early riser by nature but i also go to bed really early! i get so tired.
your coat in the walking pictures is really cute!

13 Julie @savvyeats January 11, 2010

I’m just like you — a night owl who also enjoys getting up early. I think I’ll have to try this when I get back from NY!

I will have good practice when we get up to leave at 3:45 AM tomorrow to drive to NY… ick!

14 Courtney January 11, 2010

I’m a LARK! And my hubs is a night owl. So I fall asleep on the couch with him every night to “keep him company” and he wakes me up and puts me to bed at 11. Hee hee!! I love getting up early before anyone else, having some coffee and reading blogs or the newspaper. I don’t like to rush in the morning, so I budget time to be able to putter around the kitchen and get organized for my day. Such a nice, peaceful way to start the day rather than jumping up, running late and being off routine.
Courtney
adventures in tri-ing

15 Carolyn January 11, 2010

One of my NY resolutions was to get up earlier. So I got a puppy. ;) Now I have to get up early.

16 Ameena January 11, 2010

I am an early bird for sure…my husband is now too. Having kids will do that to you!

17 Janna (Just Flourishing) January 11, 2010

I am a total night owl who has trouble falling asleep.

However, I also LOVE mornings and hate wasting the day sleeping. On top of that I am starting to train for a half marathon so I would like to be up early to get my runs down earlier!

Thanks for the tips, I will definitely be using them to help me!

Oh and that baked breakfast cake thing looks AH-MAZING! Yum!

18 Kristie January 11, 2010

Girl you are nuts to be walking around for an hour in that cold! Glad you enjoyed it though :)

19 Eve January 11, 2010

Super cute photos! Your FIL totally looks like Eric. :)

20 Lauren @ Eater not a runner January 11, 2010

I have been trying to slowly work up to getting up earlier. If I could get my workouts in early in the day I would have so much more time!

21 Amy January 11, 2010

Oddly enough I go to bed pretty early, but I also have a hard time getting up in the morning!

Great pictures. I feel your pain on the chilly temperatures yesterday. It was -16 in Ottawa, and I did a 10k run. Took me all day to warm up!

22 Cecilia January 11, 2010

I’m an early morning riser, and I love it! I used to be more of a night owl, but then I had a job at a bakery, and later at a construction company, and both jobs required an early morning start, which I got so accustomed to and now I can’t imagine having it any other way. I’m so much more productive and yet also much more calm. It feels kind of like you have all the time in the world, you know?

23 Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen January 11, 2010

love the pictures from the trip! sketchie is such a gorgeous baby too :) i’m working on getting up earlier…i try to catch a local program by 6, so that’s my motivation at the moment!

24 Ali January 11, 2010

Tried my first green monster today – it was fabulous! Grossed everyone out at work since I used chocolate amazing meal and chocolate light soymilk, but it was really great and I do feel great after having it. (And so virtuous, too!)

My sleep preferences are rough. I’m a night owl *and* have the downside of needed 9-10 hours of sleep a night to really feel refreshed. Which means my sleep debt on the weekends is pretty high, and I end up feeling like I’ve wasted my day sleeping 13 hour stretches at a time. I’ve managed to get myself into a rhythm of bedtime at 10:15-10:30pm and waking up at 6:00am, but I’ve never been able to get myself up earlier than that.

25 Anne @ the doctor takes a wife January 11, 2010

I’m trying to wake up early with my hubby :) We usually go to bed at the same time, but I just keep sleeping and sleeping unless I have something to do in the morning. I started waking up a little earlier today and feel so much more alive!! Morning workouts definitely help.

Can’t wait to try the baked breakfast cake–it looks so yummy!!

26 Marcia January 11, 2010

Morning person, totally. I am often asleep before my three year old. When he was a baby, I had to work at 7am, so I would get up at 4 am to nurse him before going to the gym.

27 Beth January 11, 2010

I’m on board! I’ll be getting up at 5:15 every Monday and Tuesday this year for a 6am yoga class. It’s harder for me to get out of bed in the winter, but it should be a breeze once the warmer weather arrives. When you love what you do every day (for me it’s yoga and writing in the morning), then it’s much easier to get out of bed.

28 alison January 11, 2010

great article on getting up early. i am a night owl as well but really do enjoy getting up early when i can and having something to check-off my to-do list. getting my workout in in the morning is probably the most rewarding because it sets you up to have a great, healthy day.

29 Christina January 11, 2010

Mmm what an amazing breakfast!

I’m definitely an early bird. My boyfriend hates it because I never sleep in with him. Oh well!

30 Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life January 11, 2010

You look so adorable all bundled up!

31 jayme January 11, 2010

this doesn’t have anything to do with the post, just a funny story that has to do with sleep. i’ll be falling asleep and half-dreaming about something, my boyfriend will be talking to me, and i’ll answer him with something that would make sense in my dream. so this is how our conversations usually go around 11:30 p.m.

boytoy: are you going to the gym tomorrow?
jayme: no, i’m going to hide behind the shelves so i don’t get anything thrown at me.
boytoy: ………. You asleep?
jayme: no, it makes perfect sense. they’re not going to hit me if i’m behind the shelves. these ones look really sturdy.

(this was last night’s conversation)

happy monday. :)

32 Rebekah January 11, 2010

Angela, I have been reading your blog for about a couple of months now but this is my first comment. I just had to let you know how much I enjoy it. It is so creative, fun and so informative. I am expecting my first order of Glo-Bars too. Thanks for all your hard work. I have always considered myself a morning person, usually up at 4:30 to run but over the last 2 months since I have been Clean Eating I have all this extra energy and am having trouble going to bed which is causing the same dilemma.

33 Natasha January 11, 2010

I’m a night-owl. I have a creative peak around 10pm and that can see me going for hours into the morning. It doesn’t really work with the fiance though as he likes “Us” time about then. On the other-hand I love early mornings. I love the peace and quiet, and in general I feel a step-ahead of everyone. I’m also working on getting into early starts again. Though today my earlier start back-fired… It was way too dark to go out for a run, and then I waste time when I know I have to drop everything, and head-out.

34 Nicci@NiftyEats January 11, 2010

Thanks for this information Angela, I have been struggling with rising early before work to workout.

35 Sara January 11, 2010

I’m an early riser (and not a night owl), but my husband definitely is not. Before we met he said he had to set his alarm for a noon football game. I’m usually in bed by 9:30 either reading or watching a little TV before I go to bed.

It works out OK, because I just get up and leave the room to either work out, read, or start running errands.

P.S. I tried my first Green Monster yesterday — it was great! I’ve been recommending it to everyone at work ;)

36 Cindy January 11, 2010

oh you read my mind. I am a total night owl and just hate getting up so early but I have actually decided to get up wednesdays and jog before work. ONE DAY I CAN DO. It’s just so hard cramming in all my to do’s between 9:30 and 11:00pm (after my son goes to bed) He’s becoming a night owl too.

THANKS FOR THE TOPIC!

37 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope January 11, 2010

This post is making me sad because at the end of November, I started to work the night shift. 12 hours from 530pm to 6am. I had to do it to get the job I wanted. The thing is, I LOVE TO GET UP EARLY and go to bed at like 10! I love having the whole day ahead of me and now that is gone. I have the whole night ahead of me and it is quite depressing. Luckily, I should be able to get on days at the beginning of February. Good luck with your goals. Sorry for my vent!

38 Bronwyn January 11, 2010

I really love mornings. When I was in high school I was up at 6 most of the time. In the summer 6am is the only time you can exercise comfortably in Kamloops, so I was always up for a run or a bike ride. I am now not so much a morning person due to always being up later than planned… as the university life style goes…
Maybe this summer I’ll start enjoying early mornings again.

39 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad January 11, 2010

In December, I made the change from afternoon to a.m. workouts. Working out in the morning meant that I had to begin waking up at 5 rather than 7…..OH MY. It was hard! I wrote some tips for getting up early and working out that you may find beneficial:

40 AGS January 11, 2010

This was a terrific post. Thanks, Lily!

41 Jessica January 11, 2010

To best use gmail, you should be using FireFox! :) Boo IE.

42 Kirsty January 11, 2010

Angela…this is so useful! During the winter I struggle like hell to get up in the mornings…. it is dark and cold and all I want to do is sleep ZZZZZZZ. In the summer I am the total opposite, I can’t wait to get out of bed and start my day.
I am gonna join you on the challenge!!xoxo

43 Dave Mulder January 11, 2010

I try to use full spectrum lighting to wake up early. So far, this has worked for me.

44 Beth @ DiningAndDishing January 11, 2010

I always stay up at least until midnight. I enjoy the mornings but this just works best with my work schedule. Best of luck to you with your challenge Angela!

45 Karla January 11, 2010

I’m an early riser most of the time but over break I’ve been sleeping in really late! It’s going to be tough to get back on schedule next week! The time change won’t help either! I’ll definitely use your tips!

46 Lizzie January 11, 2010

I am definitely a morning person. My husband refers to me as the rooster. I feel guilty if I sleep in – should be up and about doing things! On weekdays I get up just after 6 so I have time to sit down and eat breakfast (and make a green monster!), catch up on the news, emails etc. But I think because of doing that 5 out of 7 days, I end up not being able to do it on the weekends. I am 33 and definitely can’t stay up late anymore . . . but you know what? I am OK with that. And it’s OK to read in bed . . this doesn’t mean your old . . :) hopefully it means we’re learning to take better care of ourselves so we can be more useful every day!

47 Tiffany S. January 11, 2010

I used to wake up super early as a kid, but for while I was sleeping till 9 when I didn’t have anything to get up for. Now with a full-time job I get up with the alarm at 6:20. I still have to make myself go to bed by 9:30 pm so I’m not a complete zombie the next day. I did do a bootcamp last year and got up at 4:45 am 3 days a week (for a month). It took some getting used to, but I actually fell in love with being awake and done with exercise by 6:30 am!

48 Dustie January 11, 2010

I love this. I can’t wait to read his article. This is something I have been wanting to incorporate into my life, but find it so hard to get outta bed. I know my life would be so much better and routine if I would just do it. :)

49 Angela January 11, 2010

I used to be a night owl and for the longest time I could not go to bed before midnight even when I had to get up at 4am. This past year though I can’t even stay awake past 10!

50 Chelsea January 11, 2010

I love that green wall in the pictures with the two cats. It’s a beautiful green :)

I’m a morning person-always have been. I try to be in bed ASLEEP by 10 and I get up at 5:30. My DH goes to bed at the same time but wakes up an hour later. He requires more sleep than me :)

51 Ash @ Good Taste. Healthy Me January 11, 2010

I am definitely a night owl but I really want to be a morning person. I always love getting up and feeling so accomplished in the AM. But I have a tough time dragging myself out of bed! I just need to train my body!

My boyfriend can go to bed late and wake up early. I swear he barely needs sleep! I’m jealous! I need my 7-8 hours otherwise I’m a meany all day.

52 Ali @ Food, Fitness, Fashion January 11, 2010

Totall off topic, but you cat has the most beautiful markings!

53 Laura Georgina January 11, 2010

Such a timely post, Angela–it’s truly freaky!

I used to be a huge night owl (as was, and still kind of is, the husband) but I’ve been dying to get in the habit of waking up early to go running before work (and before the Trini heat hits at 7:30 am–not much of a window between “pleasantly warm and breezy” and “hot as hell” down here!). This morning, I celebrated my birthday by starting my new old age on the right foot, ran my 3 miles, and I feel amazing. It’s definitely worth the early wake-up call to feel the endorphin happiness all day long :-)

54 Jenny January 11, 2010

Those horses looked beautiful! Things like that make me miss living in the country :)

55 Heather January 11, 2010

Gluten Free Glo Bars! Can’t wait to try them. I make a few of my own versions of your glo bars with uncontaminated oats, but I am excited to get a “real one” from the pro! Thanks for your determination!

56 Tracey @ TropicalHappiness January 11, 2010

Wow! I was JUST thinking about this this morning. I am definitely a morning person, but for some reason, I have been staying up late (doing nothing!) and have been dragging myself out of bed, exhausted, at the very last minute. I love early mornings but I haven’t been able to enjoy them. I wake up at the last minute, rush to get in the shower, and I am usually late getting out the door for work!
I am revamping my evening routine to get to bed earlier, so I’ll be joining you in this challenge!

57 Caroline January 11, 2010

Pretty horsies! Your walk looks beautiful, no matter the weather! I have to be at work by 7 AM and now that I have a new puppy I’m getting up at 5 so that I have time to deal with him and play with him for 15-20 minutes before he’s penned up for the work day. I love having time to start reading blogs and eat a nice slow breakfast with a cup of coffee. My mornings are so much more relaxed than when I’d rush through! My Hubs is a night owl who rides to campus with me, he doesn’t get nearly enough sleep. Silly man.

58 deisegirl January 11, 2010

Urgh, by nature a night owl but once I started working full time I got used to mornings a bit better. Just as well as I then bought a house a LONG way from my job and now I have to get up really early just to get into the office at a normal hour. A couple of mornings a week I get up even earlier to workout because I would just be too tired to do it later in the day. I’m glad I make the effort but it does wear me down sometimes and I can never seem to get to bed early enough to compensate! My boyfriend is a night owl too but he gets more of a lie in than me as he works closer to home so he can go to bed whenever…. Harumph…

59 Stephanie January 11, 2010

I am such a morning person. I grew up on a farm, so I always needed to get up early. Now my body just wakes me up!! My favourite part of my day is my mornings. I cook myself oatmeal, check my e-mail, read the paper… just take my time getting ready for the day. I HATE rushing to get ready for work or school. It throws off my entire day!! I also happen to be one of those lucky poeple who falls asleep minutes after lying down (brag brag)

Sadly, my fiancé is a night owl, struggling to get up early on school mornings… and he rushes!!! SOmetimes our schedules mesh, sometimes they don’t. I have a “sleep schedule” he does not. I wish we went to bed together at the same time every night though.

60 ::christine:: January 11, 2010

Okay, I am crushing on Sketchie – I love his ‘plotting’ pics!

61 Janice @ O.S.M.B. January 11, 2010

Used to be a total early riser. I taught 8th grade, and no matter how ‘free’ an evening appeared, inevitably the unplanned would happen. I’d have a huge discipline issue during the day that led to parent phone calls or conferences, last-minute IEP meetings, homework detention, or a student with no ride home (who lived 40 minutes away). Always something came up.

So during my second year I learned if I ever wanted to work out I had to do it in the morning, when there had been no time for something to get in the way. So every day I either hit the pool (MWF) or the gym (T TH). Then I’d come home, shower and eat breakfast while reading blogs :) It was hands down the highlight of every day.

Now that my routine is less stressful I don’t get up quite as early, but I must admit I miss it!!!

62 Erin January 11, 2010

Such a night owl here. I have such a hard time falling asleep that I just go go go until I crash. Not very healthy, I know. I have tried to go to bed earlier lately, and it’s starting to work to the point where I am getting used to it. Will definitely check out the article!!!

63 Lauren January 11, 2010

My entire family goes to bed around 9 and wakes up at or before 6. I love when it’s 8 o’clock and I’ve gotten so much accomplishments. I always mentally make fun of all of my friends that are still wasting their lives away in bed.

64 Diana @ frontyardfoodie January 11, 2010

I find that rising early is always more productive no matter how late you stay up. I’m not a morning person so I had to become one:( it wasn’t easy! haha

Sketchie has the most beautiful coat. I want a cat now!

65 Cassie @ A Very Busy Mind January 11, 2010

Zen Habits is so great. I love the way Leo simplifies everything.

I read that article a while back and, like you, didn’t immediately commit. I’ve always loved mornings, too, but wasn’t so great at the getting up part. I think that article really stuck with me, because I slowly adjusted my sleep schedule so that I now wake up early easily almost every morning! Morning’s my favorite time of day now!

Good luck with the challenge! I know you’ll love it!

66 katherine January 11, 2010

I’m definitely a night owl, though it does NOT work with my lifestyle requirements (aka 9-5 job, dog who needs walking, etc). The Huz is also kind of a night owl but he’s much better about going to bed early b/c he knows he has to get up in the morning!

67 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman January 11, 2010

I love reading your blog. I just had to comment because I have the same problem. I’m never tired at the reasonable bedtime I require to get up early. (That is, before midnight.) I’d so love to be an early riser. I think I’d get so much more done with my day. As it is, I could sleep till noon if I didn’t set my alarm. Maybe I’ll challenge myself, too. It couldn’t hurt to wake up in the morning instead of afternoon on the weekend. I bet it wouldn’t pass so quickly if I did! Thanks for the inspiration.

68 Lauren January 11, 2010

Early bird to the max! As a 19 year old in university, no one can believe it when I tell them I go to bed at 9:30pm! Haha! I always get all my work done and I love waking up around 6am, watching the news, making breakfast and getting started on my homework! Mornings are the highlight of my day! :) It’s a good challenge for you! So many restorative processes occur between the hours of 11pm and 1am and these can only occur if you’re asleep during this time! Trust me, you’ll feel amazing! :)

69 AGS January 11, 2010

Definitely a morning person. Up by 6 a.m. (latest) every day. Often up extra early (before 5 a.m.) if I have some top priority writing assignment due. I LOVE the morning. I even get grumpy when my husband tries to get me to stay up late with him (which is most evenings, come to think of it.) ;)

70 Paige @ Running Around Normal January 11, 2010

Those pictures are so cute! Sounds like a fun, cold, walk:D

I’m an early riser…or so I thought. But lately, I’ve been more of a night owl! I press snooze 2-3 times any more.

71 Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 11, 2010

What a great morning walk – looks FREEZING though! I am more of a morning person – and if I struggle to get up in the morning it is a clear sign that I am run down.

72 Andrew Lowry January 11, 2010

I too am a night owl yet I am also high energy. I find it hard to fall asleep and generally it is hard to sleep in. The result is not enough sleep. At the same time I am in a muscle building program so I need my sleep.
So my objective is to go to bed at 9:30 and wake up at 6. I figure that way I can get 7 to 8 hours sleep depending on when I actually fall asleep. I am tracking my hours of sleep on a wall calendar with the objective of 7 hours of sleep on average for a month.

73 Maria (Tough Cookie) January 11, 2010

I have always gotten the most down in the mornings with my school work. Even in graduate school, I have never pulled an all-nighter because I am useless in the night hours.

74 Shannon January 11, 2010

I have never been a night owl. I much prefer getting up early. Before I left my job to go back to school, I got up before 4am everyday! I don’t miss getting up that early, but I still prefer getting up on the early side. The key is going to bed at a reasonable time!

Glad you are surviving the cold with a smile on your face! I thought it was cold in Boston, but your Canadian winters pit it in perspective for me!

75 Susan January 11, 2010

I used to be SUCH a night owl! Now I’m the complete opposite. It’s almost like it happened overnight too. I all of a sudden just started naturally waking up 15 minutes earlier everyday. Now I’m naturally up between 6-7am everyday. It’s nice to get workouts and chores done before noon on days off, and I now like working out before work. But at the same time, I crash and burn every night around 10:30. Even if I’m out somewhere. I’ve fallen asleep at the movie theatre!

76 Jolene January 11, 2010

I used to be a night owl, but now I am totally NOT!! I can barely stay awake past 11 :-) I am getting old!! Booo!

Your father in law looks very smart and “professor” like!

77 Barbara January 11, 2010

Hi Angela and may I say Brrrrrrr.
Good grief thats cold!

I was always a late sleeper, night owl person until about 3 years ago. I made my mind up to do a body challenge and get to the gym at 5am…seriously 5am? Was I nuts???

It was HARD, but I did it for 21 days, which they say 21 days to establish a pattern. Wahla…I now get up at 4-5am everyday and 6am on weekends. It’s good and bad…

Good luck girl!

Barb

78 Jil January 11, 2010

I’m totally up for this early rising challenge! Even before reading this today, I was telling myself that even though I only “technically” need to get up early, early for classes on MWF, that I am going to make sure I get up at an early hour on Tues and Thurs, too! It’ll be easier on my bod to establish a pattern and I’m sure I’ll be must more productive!

79 Carolyn January 11, 2010

Woo hoo!! I am so excited for the release of GF Glo Bars! I can’t wait to place an order!

80 Meredith (Pursuing Balance) January 11, 2010

My sleep schedule used to be very crazy. For my job, some days I would have to be at work at 4:45AM. Other days I would have to work until past midnight! After I quit, I stuck to being a night owl but like you, wanted to get up earlier to be productive. I started slowly like the article said. At first my goal was to go to the gym at that early hour, but I couldn’t contemplate it when my alarm went off! Instead, I would hop out of bed and do a workout dvd in my pajamas. After a while, waking up early (7AM) became natural and I have no problem hitting the gym. Good luck with your challenge!

81 Mandy January 11, 2010

I like getting up early when it happens. But lately I’ve been more of a night owl because i tend to have a lot of things to do at the end of the day.

But i’d like to try to be one of those people who gets up early :p

82 Trail January 11, 2010

We have the exact same problem! Irish and I both tend to be night owls, but I would love to get up early to get more done. Often when I do try, all I get is sleep deprivation. I’m on board for this challenge! Oh, and I think if I could wake up to that breakfast cake, I’d get up early :) Thanks for sharing this info!

83 brittany January 11, 2010

Your banana bread looks amazing!

84 Laura (On the Threshold of Greatness) January 11, 2010

Uh oh… those alpha male competitions can get fierce!

I’m a night owl all the way! I love mornings when I’m up, but it’s always so hard for me to get going. I’m slowly trying to start my day earlier, but it’s been a struggle, lol. I’m hoping it’ll be easier when the long summer days are here. I’d really rather just stay in my bed when it’s cold and dark out.

85 Heidi January 11, 2010

I AM SUPER SUPER SUPER EXCITED FOR THE GF GLO BAR! Please keep us posted. I cannot wait to order!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers. Love the lulu hoodie collar

86 Total Fit Girl January 12, 2010

I’ve always been an early riser and I love getting up early to work out, but lately I’ve been going to bed later so I can hang out with my husband at night, which makes me exhausted the next day and makes it much harder to get up early. My goal is to go to bed earlier so I can get back on track and wake up early.

87 SarahWalnuts January 12, 2010

So excited for the GF Glo Bar! Please keep me posted so I can order!

88 One Healthy Apple January 12, 2010

Ack! Soooo cold! I am a major night owl, but not by choice. I have a hard time falling asleep because I worry at night and nothing seems to help!

I hope I can start going to bed earlier soon and will give the challenge a mini try!

89 amanda@thegrainsofparadise January 12, 2010

Oh man…looks like everyone on the Mainland is getting hammered by a cold snap! So sorry!!! Sending you lots of sunshine and aloha from Hawaii :-)A

90 Miz January 12, 2010

HOLY CRAP THAT LOOKS COLD

Ive grown really wimpy since we moved to Texas.

as far as the rising thing Ive simply learned if I want ME TIME in the day I need to get up at 4am ish to have it.

and I want me some ME TIME *otherwise* I find I resent the childtime worktime husbandtime housecraptime that can jampack my day.

91 Courtney January 12, 2010

What a great challenge and a great article! I am on my way to try it out! :]

92 Ricki January 12, 2010

You are such a brave soul for walking out in that cold weather! I am naturally an early riser, but since my honey is a late to bed and late to rise, I have altered my schedule over the past few years. And he also falls asleep within 30 seconds of hitting the pillow–men! ;)

93 Jenny January 13, 2010

Our pipes froze too, and we probably won’t have water for the rest of the week! It’s insane.

I’m definitely more of a morning person than a night owl. I think better in the mornings. But still, I think these are great tips for anyone to implement. Especially having a “reason to get up” and “making your mornings productive” so the habit will stick. Things we could all find helpful!

94 Jackie @ TriToLose January 13, 2010

I love the earlier riser challenge. I have to start getting up A LOT earlier than I’m used to because I start student teaching in two weeks. (I’m still in the college student mode) Thanks for the tips! :)