Crock Pot Apple Spice Steel Cut Oats

IMG 8049 thumb   Crock Pot Apple Spice Steel Cut Oats

I love my Crock Pot.

I throw stuff in and magic happens.

I could throw in a shoelace, water, and spices and a lovely dinner would be produced just 5 hours later.

The cooking Gods watch over my crock pot while I am busy being doing other things.

I also love oats.

However, I tried steel cut oats a couple years ago and I was not impressed. I think it was the classic case of Too Little Mix-ins- lack of sweetener and fruit = some really bland oats. You do know why they are called groats right? Because you GROAN when you eat them! [Just imagine me as your annoying coworker who tells cheesy jokes every Monday morning) ;)

Seeing how far I have come with my morning meal experimentation, I decided to give those steely oats another shot.

When I heard about people making Crock Pot Steel Cut Oats, I raised an eyebrow. Something that I could toss into my crock pot and simmer overnight? Something that would lure me from the warm covers of my bed?

Sign. me. UP!

Crock Pot Apple Spice Steel Cut Oats

The crock pot method is wonderful for making several servings in advance. You can even double the recipe and make a full week's servings in one batch. I`m told that because steel cut oats have such a chewy texture, the texture is retained even when reheated in the microwave. Just be sure to add a splash of milk before reheating.

IMG 8045 thumb   Crock Pot Apple Spice Steel Cut Oats

Makes 4 servings.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup PC Blue Menu steel cut oats, dry
  • 4 cups water
  • 1/2 cup milk (I used almond milk, original)
  • 1 large apple, chopped, with skin
  • 1 tiny banana, thinly sliced
  • 1.5 T pumpkin pie spice

Add-ons PER serving:

• 1/2 T chia seeds
  • 1 T agave

Directions: Place all ingredients into the crock pot except for the chia and agave. Simmer on lowest setting for about 6 hours. My crock pot switches to the warm setting so even though it is done cooking the oats still remained warm when I got up after 8 hours of sleep.

Nutrition information is per serving. Recipe above makes 4 servings.

oats thumb   Crock Pot Apple Spice Steel Cut Oats

IMG 8064 thumb   Crock Pot Apple Spice Steel Cut Oats

These apple spiced oats were pretty good. I added a bit more agave than I originally planned because they were a bit bland. I think next time I would whip the banana through the oats to give them more flavour throughout.

What did I think of steel cut oats as opposed to regular oats?

• They were chewy, but not as chewy as I imagined. I assume that is because they cooked for 6 hours.
  • They had a more pronounced nutty flavour

IMG 8067 thumb   Crock Pot Apple Spice Steel Cut Oats

Other benefits:

• They reheat well. I portioned the other 3 servings into small Pyrex dishes and placed them into the fridge. Just pour a tiny bit of milk on top of the oats and zap them in the microwave for a very easy breakfast.
  • The crock pot method was awesome. All I had to do was scoop some oats into a bowl and sprinkle with a couple toppings. It was the quickest breakfast I have ever had! This would be great for people who are really time crunched in the morning.

Are you a steel cut oats fan? How do you enjoy it?

I also had breakfast with some Swamp Water (Amazing Grass Chocolate Meal Powder + H20)

~~~~

Updates, Updates, Updates!!!!!!

• If you have not read the comments from yesterday's post, 'Does life get easier as we age?' I urge you to read them. I was in tears reading your beautiful and inspirational stories. What an uplifting read to start off the week!
  • Head on over to check out our Ugly Christmas sweater party recap for some laughs.
  • Green Monster Movement is updated with a ton of DELICIOUS recipes including an inspirational weight loss story, how to beat a cold GM, and a Winter GM.
  • What Sketchie has been up to!
  • My weekend workouts were rocking! Check them out here.
  • Did you miss my Whittle My Middle recap last week? Check it out on my Abs page!
  • I am only a few Gossip Girl episodes from being caught up!
    • For the record: Chuck > Nate > Dan ;)
  • Last chance to get your Glo Bar orders in for the holiday season! Will ship out today!
  • 3 days til we leave for NB and 4 Days Til Christmas!

Angela Signature thumb22   Crock Pot Apple Spice Steel Cut Oats

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

~Mark Twain

[Submitter]

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 21, 2009

I LOVE steel cut oats. I have made them in the crock pot before with some apples, but I can’t wait to try this recipe! I love the chewy, almost ‘popping’ texture and crunch. They are so comforting. :)

Ameena December 21, 2009

I love oatmeal but haven’t tried them in a crock pot before. I just assumed it would make too much I guess. But this looks like a manageable amount so I think I will try it. Thanks for the idea!

Anne Marie @ New Weigh of Life December 21, 2009

Yummy crockpot oatmeal!!

Sara December 21, 2009

HI Angela!

Wonderful site! What is your opinion about eating fruit alone and on an empty stomach? I have read numerous times that fruit is best eaten that way? I would love to add fruit to my oatmeal and GM’s but this little piece of information is holding me back! Let me know what you think…Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 21, 2009

Ive heard it digests easier on an empty stomach but I don’t know much about the validity of the statement. Personally I mix fruit with food all the time and I don’t really think twice about it!

Sara December 21, 2009

I never used to think twice about it either…I have been keeping fruit separate for a while too because of the articles I’ve seen. I never thought to ask anyone about it until I saw that you added apples to your oats. (Great recipe!) I used to LOVE fruit as a dessert. Guess I will go back to eating fruit whenever and see if I notice a change. Thank you so much for your reply! Happy Holidays and Best Regards!
Sara

alison December 21, 2009

wow–great idea on the crock pot oats, angela. that would be a great way to save time in the am and i bet the taste is fantastic.

Jessie December 21, 2009

I am constantly running behind in the morning. I can’t wait to give crock pot oats a try!

Estela @ Weekly Bite December 21, 2009

I LOVE this idea! I love steel cut oats but never make them because they’re too time intensive.

I’m totally trying this recipe!

Courtney December 21, 2009

I LOVE this idea!! The crockpot oatmeal and the apple spice flavor…thanks for sharing this. I just might make more oatmeal if there is less work involved. I also love my crockpot and agree that shoelace stew would probably be good if made in a crockpot! :D

Courtney
adventures in tri-ing

katherine December 21, 2009

I love oats but I’ve never made them in a crockpot before! Last winter (it’s been forever!) I made a batch of steel cut oats on the stovetop and they lasted forever!

Michelle December 21, 2009

WOW Angela deja vu!!! I totally totally just posted about apple spice steel cut oats in a crock pot 2 days ago. Great minds think alike!!! I totally agree that bland oats is NO GOOD so i top mine with a load of goodies including greek yogurt, cherry jam, and some good old pom seeds. THey definitely heat up well!!! I think that might be my favorite part about Steel cut oats. :) Have a fantastic Monday!

Jessie (Vegan-minded) December 21, 2009

I love steel cut oats, but I have never made them with a crockpot since I don’t have one. It looks like a great and easy method since they usually involve a lot of stirring on the stove top.

Susan December 21, 2009

Angela, You are brilliant!! I never thought of using the crock pot to make oats. Sounds yummy. Can’t wait to try it.

Rachel December 21, 2009

Your breakfast looks amazing!! I never thought to make them in a crockpot.

Where are you watching season 3 of Gossip Girl??? I can’t find it anywhere online!!!

Danielle (Coffee Run) December 21, 2009

I’ve never tried steel cut oats because the portions seem so tiny! I’m def a volume eater but maybe these get “fluffier” in the crock pot.

Melinda December 21, 2009

It does look really yummy.

Alicia December 21, 2009

A pinch of salt really perks up those oats!

Sam (Merit to the Carrot) December 21, 2009

I must recreate this! I’ve heard of crock pot oats, but this just takes it to the next level.

Karla December 21, 2009

I love oats!

I can’t decide how I feel about the Gossip Girl fellas. I do love Chuck…

Shannon (The Daily Balance) December 21, 2009

this looks fantastic, Ange!

and I love the Mark Twian quote ;)

angela @ A Healthy Fit December 21, 2009

I cannot wait to make these. I haven’t even used my crockpot yet that we got for our wedding over a year ago!

VeggieGirl December 21, 2009

Crock pots ARE magical :-D

Leah December 21, 2009

I asked Santa for a crock pot for Christmas, so if he brings me one Im totally going to try this!!

Chelsea December 21, 2009

My Mom eats steal cut oats with honey and cinnamon every day. I prefer Thick Old Fashioned oats myself :)

Jewel December 21, 2009

I have made regular overnight oats in the crockpot. I loved it but it was met with complaints by the masses in my house of “too mushy” and I was requested NOT to make it that way again.

Of course that was with regular oats…maybe with steel cut it would be different. So I guess I will valiantly brave my fickle crowd and try again!

Wishing you and your family a wonderful Christmas holiday Angela!

Maureen December 21, 2009

What a great idea these oats take so long to cook on the stove and now I can put them on and not think about them. I know from experience they reheat very well unlike other oats.
I like to add hemp seeds to mine for a little added protein.

Maggie December 21, 2009

I love steel cut oats. I’ve actually never had regular oats, weird, right? I often make a whole bunch and then refridgerate them for the week and I’ve never had them turn out badly in the microwave.

Ali @ Food, Fitness, Fashion December 21, 2009

Those oats look great! I have heard a lot about crockpot oats, I should really try it out! I love my crock pot too!

Danica December 21, 2009

I LOVE Crockpot steel cut oats! I need to try your version. My favorite is with steel cut oats, flax, peaches, blueberries, cinnamon and topped with shredded coconutand agave nectar. Totally just like dessert for breakfast! YUM, YUM – I may need to make some this week now :)

David December 21, 2009

Hmmm yet another reason why I need a crockpot!

Lauren December 21, 2009

Mhm..I’ve never heard of puttng oats in the crockpot before. sounds awesome!

ohh and I think you might have had a little error. You put “Gods” instead of “gods.” It’s a little “g.” :)

Susan December 21, 2009

When it comes to oatmeal, I do not discriminate. Rolled oats are probably still my all time fave, but I looove the chewy texture of steel cut to change it up sometimes. You have to try Bob’s Red Mill Scottish Oatmeal – it’s like a cross between the two!

I tried making four servings of steel cut oats in my crockpot once and it solidified!!! Apparently my crockpot is army-sized and can’t make such little portions…

Little Aspects December 21, 2009

Oh cool! I’ve been wanting to try steel cut oats for ages but never have that much time in the morning – using the crockpot is a great idea! (Just need to get Mum’s old crockpot off her now!). I’ll save this recipe for winter though as it’s way too hot here for porridge at the moment – I’ve switched to home-made muesli for breakfast instead until summer is over and we stop getting 40deg days. Thanks for the idea!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) December 21, 2009

What a yummy wholesome breakfast – just perfect :)

Amanda December 21, 2009

I got my Glo Bars last week and I have only tried the coconut carob brownie bomb. It is AMAZING. So fresh and the consistency is great. It is seriously the perfect bar. I am looking forward to trying the others in the variety pack and will DEFINITELY be ordering more next year! :) Keep up the great work!

Hannah December 21, 2009

Oh my gosh Angela I just made a batch of peppermint cookies for my teachers and they are DELICIOUS! I didn’t think vegan cookies could be that amazingly good!! Thanks so much!!!

SweetKaroline December 21, 2009

i eat steel cut oats every morning.

i just make a big batch on the stove to last a week and then reheat a serving with a splash of water thrown on top.

Easy and CHEAP and hearty…yum

Meagan December 21, 2009

This is perfect for a dorm room too! So gourmet and rich, but no stove required! I love your variation, Angela!

Nicole, MS, RD, LD December 21, 2009

I’ve made a very similar recipe and added in dates – yum! I could not agree more — crock pots are the live-all, be-all of my kitchen. I absolutely ADORE the wonders that can become with the use of a crock pot!

Jil December 21, 2009

Ohh, I like the idea of oats in the crock pot. The crock pot is the ulllltimate multitasker! LOVE IT!

Carolyn December 21, 2009

I really like steel cut oats, I just never have time to make them in the morning. Hmmm….crockpot…

Page 1 of 212»