Manly-Man Green Monster Challenge

green_monster

Last night, Eric and I were driving in the car on the way home from Christmas light shopping. Or should I say window shopping after seeing how much it would cost to buy lights for our house.

While driving, Eric said to me, ‘How filling are Green Monsters? Do you think something like that could keep me full like cereal does…?’

I was semi-listening to him and semi-thinking about how expensive the Christmas lights were.

I said quite blasé: ‘For sure they could. The length of time that they keep you full depends on what you put in it. You can make a Green Monster that keeps you full for 30 minutes and you can make them that last 3-4 Hours.’

Oh He Glows: ‘I see…’

Me: ‘We should probably check out Costco for Christmas lights. They might have better prices than Crappy Tire.’

Oh He Glows: ‘Do you think you would be able to make a Green Monster that would be as filling as my current breakfast of Raisin Bran? Because I must say, that breakfast keeps me pretty happy all morning…’

Then it finally started to occur to me- Eric was -in his own way- asking me to make him a Green Monster!!!!!!!

I tried to keep my composure and remain calm.

Me: ‘I would be up for the challenge. We need bananas and more spinach.’

Luckily, it was dark outside or he would have seen the huge grin on my face.

Suddenly, I was like a bride-to-be, flooded with planning ideas. Thoughts were swirling through my head only this time instead of ribbons, tulle, and rose petals, I was dreaming of spinach, hemp, chia, and oats.

Eric: ‘Ok, Saturday morning. But don’t wake me up early to drink it.’

It was a deal.

This morning I sprung out of bed like any Green Monster Mama would do. I got out all of the tools- most importantly, a calculator, pen, paper, and Eric’s regular breakfast ingredients. Which were, how do I put it…quite simple and consisted of Raisin Bran (it has to be brand name, Eric says) and 1% cow’s milk.

IMG_6973

I took this challenge very seriously. I would not let my Green Monster’s reputation tarnish over some haphazard combination of ingredients. This had to be a Manly Man’s Green Monster.

Eric’s Traditional Breakfast: Raisin Bran and 1% Milk:

IMG_6972

Eric’s traditional breakfast consists of: 3 cups Raisin Bran (yes I measured how much he normally has in his bowl) and 2 cups of 1% cow’s milk. It is a huge bowl of cereal. He is also 6 foot 2 and has a hole in his stomach, so I digress.

IMG_6968

His traditional breakfast equates to:

• 780 calories
  • 8 grams fat
  • 18 grams fibre
  • 35 grams protein
  • 162 grams of carbs

I knew immediately that I could produce a more well-rounded breakfast. The carbs-fat-protein ratio was way out of whack (too many carbs, not enough fat). More on that below.

I began creating a Green Monster manly enough to keep Eric full for the morning, or so I hoped.

IMG_6976

I had to keep in mind that I had to also create a Green Monster that he would enjoy and actually be able to drink!

Here is the recipe I came up with:

Manly-Man Green Monster

Ingredients:

• 1 cup 1% cow’s milk
  • 1 large banana
  • 2 cups spinach
  • 1 T chia seeds
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 4 Tablespoons (1 serving) Manitoba Harvest Hemp Protein Powder
  • 1 scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate Amazing Meal
  • 1/2 cup Water
  • 4 ice cubes

This Green Monster equates to:

• 735 calories
  • 15.5 grams of fat (mostly healthy fats!)
  • 21 grams of fibre
  • 52 grams of protein
  • 87 grams of carbs

To compare, side by side:

Eric’s Cereal Breakfast Manly-Man Green Monster

• 780 calories
  • 8 grams fat (4%)
  • 35 grams protein (17%)
  • 162 carbs (79%)
  • 18 grams fibre
  • 735 calories
  • 15.5 grams of mostly healthy fat (10%)
  • 52 grams of protein (34%)
  • 87 grams of carbs (56%)
  • 21 grams of fibre

As you can see, the ratio of protein-fat-carbs is much more balanced than in his original breakfast. I specifically wanted to increase the healthy fat and protein and decrease the carbs. By doing this, I hoped to increase the satiety effect of the Green Monster.

Behold my creation:

IMG_6982

It actually wasn’t cold enough, so I had to transfer it into a plastic cup and put it in the freezer for 30 minutes. I would accept nothing short of perfection!

Here we go….

IMG_6987

IMG_6995IMG_6996IMG_7002IMG_7003IMG_7004IMG_6997

If you couldn’t tell by the pictures, he HATED it. :( :( :(

He said it was way too thick and had the texture of Maalox!!!! He only got a few sips down. Needless to say, I was crushed. :(

However, after we talked about it some more, we both concluded that my Green Monster was a bit over ambitious. Cramming that much protein into a GM was recipe for a taste disaster!

I am not one to accept defeat my friends.

I got back on the horse and made another concoction, this time my Virgin Green Monster. We clearly needed to start off slow here.

His second GM:

IMG_7008

As you can see, this GM was not thick at all. Progress.

IMG_7006

Manly Virgin Green Monster

Ingredients:

• 1 cup cow’s milk
  • 2 cups spinach
  • 1 banana
  • ice
  • 1/2 serving Manitoba Harvest Hemp Protein Powder (10 grams protein)
  • 1 T chia seeds
Manly Virgin Green Monster
  • 405 calories
  • 9.75 grams fat (11%)
  • 24.5 grams protein (27%)
  • 57.25 carbs (62%)
  • 13 grams fibre

I was still very happy with the ratio of fat-carbs-protein in this virgin GM. I knew it wouldn’t be able to entirely supplement his breakfast, but it was a decent start!

He smelled it of course. ;)

IMG_7009IMG_7012

Over-joyed, can’t cha tell? :D

IMG_7018

His response?

MUCH better than the last one. He actually enjoyed this one and said it was more of a drink and less of thick sludge (lol). He drank the whole thing. Whew.

He said he might drink some in the mornings, along with a smaller bowl of cereal. We shall see… ;)

Does your man drink Green Monsters?

~~~~

We are off to Costco to search for Christmas lights. :) Then, tonight I’m off to the big city for a girls night out. Time to dust off the stilettos…I will be Tweeting throughout the night on Eric’s cell!

Also check back for updates on Whittle my Middle and my Workouts on the Run page.

Enjoy your Saturday!

Angela_Signature

1 maria November 21, 2009

how many calories are in a standard girlie girl monster?

2 Nicole November 21, 2009

What a cute post! I’ve only been able to get my hubby to take a sip of my GM’s.

3 Kristine November 21, 2009

hahhaha i loved reading this post!! I still haven’t even tried a GM! SIN!

4 Allison (Eat Clean Live Green) November 21, 2009

Awesome! Good for Eric for giving them a try. My husband thinks I’m less and less weird for drinking green smoothies, but he hasn’t tried one yet ;-)

5 Julie @savvyeats November 21, 2009

I’ve given Dan sips of my GM’s, but he hasn’t been a huge fan. I’ll work on him…

And how funny that Eric insists on brand name only. Dan does the same thing with flake cereals.. he insists the flakes in Raisin Bran Crunch are different and better than those in Total or any other store brand. I don’t really get it… :)

6 Annalisa November 21, 2009

You guys are adorable! Can I say that I always get a kick out of seeing your items. Canada is not that far from me (Rochester, NY) BUT — I think it’s so neat to see french on the box. I’m a dork. Anytime we travel I feel the need to find “regular american” items re-packaged for foreign countries. Good luck with the manly man monster!

7 Lindsay Perrone (goodiesgalore) November 21, 2009

Oh my gosh this post was too funny! I love how he gently brought the subject up to you with his not-so subtle hint. Very cute. He’s lucky to have a wifey who cares so much.

8 Tania @ Moment Anew November 21, 2009

Yes, my husband drinks green monsters! If I make extra and leave a glass in the fridge for him, he will drink it when he wakes up :) I do a very simple one though–raw kale, flaxseed, almond/cow’s milk and banana. Lately I’ve been adding a small spoon of yogurt into it as I find it slightly masks the grit of the kale!

Truth be told, my husband likes healthy food and will eat just about anything. He wants to go vegetarian and I am actually the one who is not ready to stop eating (albeit organic) meat as I feel it really helps me with satiety and controlling my appetite.

9 Kristie Lynn November 21, 2009

Haha as soon as I saw the 4 tbsp. of hemp powder and the scoop of Amazing Grass, I thought “uh oh”.

My hubby will drink green monsters if I add enough fruit to them. I don’t have to worry about the full factor as much because before we were married the man didn’t even EAT breakfast! Now we have a meal plan on the fridge so he knows what I am planning on having him eat every morning (waffle “sandwich”, cereal with banana and nuts, etc) if I’m not making it. Yeah… I kind of have to hold his hand to get him to eat breakfast ;)

10 Carbzilla November 21, 2009

“But don’t wake me up early to drink it.” Hilarious! But maybe that’s because hubby and I have been up since 6:30 am on a Saturday.

Costco here in WA had great LED Christmas lights, but I didn’t look at the prices.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT BUY the chocolate-covered pomegranate seeds.

You can thank me later!

11 Mari November 21, 2009

I have not been able to convince anyone in my family to try Green Monsters =/ and whenever I drink at the gym, the ladies always say ” ewww what is that”

I think Green Monsters are delish and I wish people would be open minded and give it a try =)

12 Jen November 21, 2009

Wow, 780 calories for breakfast?! That sounds insane! My hubby likes GMs in the morning, when I have time to make them. His consists of 3 big handfuls of spinach, a cup of skim milk, a small banana, and a scoop of flax seeds (mine is the same but with protein powder). I was really surprised that he liked them right off the bat…he’s picky with vegetables so I’m not about to tinker with the recipe!

13 Kristin (runningsongs) November 21, 2009

That’s too funny – we call it Crappy Tire too!

Unless I’m feeling VERY generous, the hubby gets what I have for breakfast. He’s been doing green smoothies for as long as I have… he even made the transition to dairy free with me! There was some hesitation at first… but he got over it. Now, he even requests them!

14 Haleigh November 21, 2009

Adore this post. So cute!! I am surprised he wanted to try a GM on his own. My husband was a bit freaked out of the concept.. if only he knew ;)

15 Lindsay Perrone (goodiesgalore) November 21, 2009

I’m confused about the green monster. Is this a juicer thing or a blender thing? I’m scared of the spinach and the kale. Blech.

16 Amy November 21, 2009

Just try it, and then you’ll believe it!!! I’m not a big fan of spinach, but I Love that i get a serving in with one of these. I also add some blue berries (1/4-1/2 cup) and use almond milk. It’s delish!

17 Abby (Abbys Vegan Eats) November 21, 2009

Loved this post! So cute.. I always get excited when sharing my “favorites” with my hubby!! ;)

18 jessica November 21, 2009

I have been able to get my 19 year old brother to drink monsters and he is the pickiest eater ever! He uses 1 cup milk, 2 cups spinach, frozen strawberry and mango chunks, 1 banana, and protein powder.

19 The Voracious Vegan November 21, 2009

My man loves a good green juice or smoothie, the more spinach the better! Love the photos on this one!

20 Molly @thevegandorm November 21, 2009

So cute!
My room-mate the other day asked me to make her a juice – I got SO excited! However, I too was a little over-ambitious – I added 2 apples instead of 1, but I also loaded it with vegetables and a little ginger. She was NOT a fan haha. Oh well.

21 Tay November 21, 2009

I LOVE this experiment – how adorable!! I agree that it’s hard to cram so many calories and nutrients into a little glass! It’s a good idea to drink it along with something else. Good going Ange! ;-)

22 Kristy November 21, 2009

Oh my gosh!! I love it! I just made my first green monster this morning that I have had in months!! My Magic Bullet broke a bout 2 months ago and I have had nothing to mix them in. They were sorely missed :( I bought all the ingredients yesterday since I was out…ahhh, tastes so darn good! I was just thinking how I could possibly get my husband to drink one of these! What a timely post…you go girl, keep concocting!! Kristy :)

23 E. November 21, 2009

Yay! Way to go on getting him to try it! I wonder if he would enjoy the GMs more through a straw? I really don’t care for the texture of GMs (the gritty/gloppiness — ugh) but the flavor doesn’t bother me. The texture is even more offensive if I don’t drink it right away and it sits in the fridge… something about the fiber relaxing and getting all smooshy.

If Eric is loco like me, maybe offer him a straw with his next one?

24 Saima November 21, 2009

I too think think the straw helps! usually i drink a GM whilst getting ready and the drink settles with the formation of two layers….hehe!! it is really difficult w/o a straw IMO!!

25 Kathleen November 21, 2009

I love this post. I don’t have a man at the moment, but when I lived at home, I used to force my dad to try all my crazy vegan concoctions. I still remember the day he asked me to vitamix him some sunflower seeds with flax seeds to put on his morning oatmeal. I was so proud.

26 Ingunn November 21, 2009

Haha! Great timing, this popped up in my feed reader just as I was letting my husband try my GM – I’ve become addicted to them, so he wanted to know what all the fuss was about.

He actually liked it and was surprised that he couldn’t taste the spinach or kale, the only taste he mentioned was from the cucumber (I use 1/2 peeled cucumber which adds so much liquid that I only have to use 1/2 cup of hemp milk).

27 Jenna November 21, 2009

I have yet to try a green monster. I am one that would much rather eat my calories than drink them. However, I should probably at least give it a shot one of these days :)

Mike may like a green monster actually. Anything in a ‘smoothy’ or ‘shake’ form he loves!

28 Jolene November 21, 2009

My man tried a GM once, and said it tasted like a banana shake!! He liked it! He hasn’t had one since because I wake up later than him and eat breakfast later than him – AKA I haven’t made him another yet!

29 maren November 21, 2009

haha when I read about the Amazing Meal, I wasn’t too sure… definitely an acquired taste. That grittyness (also maybe in the hemp protein) some people just can’t get past.

30 Kristina November 21, 2009

Hell no! He won’t go near my green monsters. His version is 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1 cup frozen strawberries, 1 cup cow’s milk, and a TON of chocolate syrup. GROSS.

He did however try some of my Amazing Meal (mango something flavour mixed with water) and spit it out. At least he tried.

31 Mary November 21, 2009

My hubby loves them… I started drinking them about 6 months ago and he looked at the greenish brownish sludge in my glass and asked for a sip ! After the sip, he asked me to make him one and has been drinking them ever since !

He drinks them the same way I do:
-1 cup unsweetened chocolate almond milk
-1 small-medium frozen banana
-1 scoop Amazing Grass Superfood
-1 scoop Sun Warrior chocolate protein powder
-4 ice cubes
-spinach to the top (3 cups?)

32 Melinda November 21, 2009

I love how you worked out the calculations. As a dietitian I will say job well done! Too bad the first one didn;t taste good. I personally have a texture problem and it probably would have made me gag, but I am so sure my hubby would be all over that. He tries to get me to drink protein concoctions all the time and stuff like that but I can feel it gritty in my mouth. He usually drinks a CIB (carnation instant breakfast–is that a mainstream abbreviation…we use it all the time in the hospital for food service) for breakfast so if he had more time I am sure he would do a green monster.

33 Susan November 21, 2009

I agree with those who said “uh-oh” to the hemp powder and amazing grass – that may have led to the gritty taste! I’m used to the taste of those things now, but I remember thinking that when I tried them for the first time too. Now add some cottage cheese for protein and nut butter for fat, and you’re good to go ;)

34 Jess November 21, 2009

My boyfriend actually asks me to make green smoothies for him. He HATES almost all vegetables and fruit but for some reason he doesn’t mind them. He’s started to crave them a lot and I always tease him that it’s because now his body knows about all the nutrients it’s lacking.

He also prefers the very basic recipe – milk, banana, kale/spinach. He doesn’t like the chocolate versions and they can’t be too thick either. He really likes when I use pineapple in them as well.

35 Sarah @ The Foodie Diaries November 21, 2009

Hahaha I loved this!

36 Katherine November 21, 2009

I’m glad we’re not the only ones who call Canadian Tire “crappy tire.”

My hubby has refused to try my gm’s. but when we were in choices the other day he found two smoothie drinks he wanted to buy. they were ridiculously expensive and i said hon, I can make the same thing for you a million times cheaper. so we’re giving it a try as soon as he’s done the bottle he bought at the store. it won’t quite be a green monster (he doesn’t want anything green in it) but it will have lots of berries, apples, bananas and protein.

slowly, we will win the hubby’s over.

37 Elle November 21, 2009

My GMs are similar to the second one you made, except I use almond butter rather than hemp for protein. Also, I add 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries. For me, the sweetness is key to making it drinkable! My husband is at least willing to drink the excess that does not fit in my glass…that always makes me happy. :-)

38 Ryan @ Greens for Good November 21, 2009

Evan loves his GM’s!!! He makes one every day after work :)

39 Laurie November 21, 2009

My husband has begun to drink the monster. This one fills us both up until lunch.

2 cups frozen blueberries, 1 cup milk, 1 cup greek yogurt (for extra protein), 1/2 cup water, 2 ounces spinach, 1/2 cup oats (soaked overnight), 1 ounce walnuts (soaked overnight).

I blend this, pour mine out and then add 1/2 frozen banana to his and finish blending. I am now experimenting with chia seeds, hemp seeds, Maca powder, goji berries, and some protein powder. I started making this because I am not a morning eater, and I knew I had to eat something in thr morning. I also loved how I felt after I ate oatmeal, but I just don’t like it! I also do not like walnuts or blueberries, but wanted to get more omega-3’s and antioxidants into my diet. Angela, you inspired me to put it all in a drink–I wouldn’t have thought it would be any good! This drink gives a good balance of carbs/protein and fat, which is important because because I had gestational diabetes and I have to watch the ratio of carbs/protein and fat that I eat. Thanks, Angela! I just love this blog!!!! :)

40 Megan @ Healthy Hoggin November 21, 2009

My husband loves making green monsters now! He often makes them as his lunch or dinner. When I was first introducing him to them, I added much more fruit, and tried to make them as “slushy” as possible. Here’s what goes into his:

1 frozen banana
2 cups spinach
1/2 cup frozen berries
1/2 cup frozen mango
1-2 scoops hemp protein powder
1 cup water, or more, to blend

He’ll finish off a whole blender-full! I always make sure he has a bag of raw almonds on hand, too, in case he gets hungry later.

41 EaterNotARunner November 21, 2009

Haha I loved your post! My BF wouldn’t try anything green, I know that much ;-)

42 Danielle November 21, 2009

If you add blueberries to the mix it turns purple instead of green….then he’d never know what *else* is in there if he doesn’t see you make it :)

Danielle

43 Danielle November 21, 2009

I love how you got all “scientific” on making the best “manly green monster” for your husband. It is a great idea to try and pack in the protein and it’s a shame that it didn’t taste all that great. I’m glad that he was willing to try it a second time :)

My husband LOVES green monsters! I think it’s because he’s loved to juice things and make smoothies long before he and I started dating, although he was just a little hesitant when I told him about the spinach. Since I started making them this summer we’ve had his parents and my friends try them and they all LOVE them too!

Danielle

44 Allison November 21, 2009

HA that is so cute. Thats pretty cool that he was like hinting for you to make a GM for him.
My boyfriend made his own “GM” once, he made it with all the left over veggies in the fridge, such as broccoli and romaine lettuce. I couldn’t even stand it, but he drank the whole thing. LOL too bad he wasn’t a little more ‘picky’ like Eric.
But i got him away from that, whenever i make a large green monster, he’s always asking for like a hundred sips, so i just make him a glass as well. he really likes them. so glad you came up with it!

45 Allison November 21, 2009

Haha, those pictures of him trying the first one are classic! When I started making GMs, my boyfriend told me he had tried similar juices before and they gave him terrible gas…so I’m not sure I want him making GMs himself!

46 Jamie November 21, 2009

hahaha what a great post!!

47 Jewel November 21, 2009

How cute you guys are! I also love it when the family goes along with my “crazy” healthy ideas….I get those big grins too. They have gone along with the green monsters much happier and easier than the huge reduction in meat I have imposed on them though! ( don’t buy it anymore and haven’t cooked it in at least six or so weeks!)

I have been lucky that all the men in my house are embracing the GMs and now ask for them if I don’t make them! My 12 yo DD is the only one who thumbs her nose up…only because it is GREEN! She eats with her eyes and is a huge challenge for me in the healthy eating arena!

So almost every morning I make TWO double batches of GMs. One double batch is split between my husband and me. The other is split between my 18 yo son and 12 yo stepson.

Each batch gets:
1 cup vanilla almond milk
1/2 banana
1 TBS flax meal (I want to switch to chia in the future though)
1 scoop Amazing Grass or AG Superfood, original or chocolate depending on my whim for the day
several heaping, fill the rest of the blender handfuls of baby spinach (don’t steam now but plan on trying that for the extra calcium)

Very simple and they gobble it down. Hubs even brought back the empty glass this morning and said YUM…that was good!

Nobody gets it for a full meal though…for my guys it is definitely a supplement to their breakfast (usually Mini-wheats or oatmeal).

Also, I have found the GM the perfect place to hide my stepson’s ADD meds (I KNOW…I can’t stand giving them to him and it goes against everything I believe in, I would never give them to my kids! But his mom moved away all of a sudden a few weeks ago and left him with us (which I am happy to have him) and there are court issues and I have to give it to him right now. But at least it is better than the artificial Hunt’s Snack Pack pudding crap his mom used to give it to him in for breakfast every day!)

48 Janine November 21, 2009

Yes! My hubby does! All on his own – I had nothing to do with it! I’ve actually been really slack and I haven’t made one for a while, but hubby started making his own several weeks ago. He has them pretty much most mornings and has been adding beetroot, apples, carrots – he’s trying a new concoction every morning. He starts with a base of protein enriched rice milk, a banana, spinach, chia seeds, and Maca powder and then adds new fruits and vegies from there.

I’m so proud! :D

49 Kelly from Bridges and Bites November 21, 2009

Ahahahaha!!!! I have a similar post on my blog from my husband trying a green monster. My first attempt failed as well! He had a second one too and liked the second, but he hasn’t made one since then. Hmmm…..

50 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope November 21, 2009

How fun Angela!!! Might I suggest adding in a cored apple next time??? I tried this with my own dad and brother and they really liked it! I just added a medium sized apple to each that was cored WITH the peeling on, and it really added a taste they enjoyed without bulk or thickness. Applesauce also works quite well!

xxoo
Heather

51 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 21, 2009

Hahahah this is too cute! My man does not. He doesn’t do shakes at all. He’d rather have real food, but I love ’em!

52 lacey November 21, 2009

Yep my husband loves Green Monsters and askes me to make them all the time. He in fact thinks I dont make them often enough!

53 Nikki T November 21, 2009

I generally make The Virgin GM (with Almond Milk) and my husband likes it, however his likes ‘fruit smoothies’ better…so I usually still add the spinach and flax, but add more fruit (frozen berries, peaches or mango) and then he considers it a ‘fruit smoothie’!
However, he didn’t love it when I put Amazing Grass wheatgrass in it and he made faces similar or worse than Eric’s in your above pics!

54 MarathonVal November 21, 2009

My husband loves Green Monsters! He can’t take them super “hardcore”, but if I put enough fruit, etc, he loves them and begs for them! :)

55 Lizzie November 21, 2009

I started my husband on these about 2 months ago (except for the 1 week we took off to go home) and now he complains about being tired at work if for some reason he doesn’t get one! He even likes the ones with Amazing Grass better than I do! (It’s taking my awhile to get into the taste). I need toodle on over to the GM web-site and get some new recipes though. Just started almond milk a couple of weeks ago and it’s really good!

56 Kris | iheartwellness.com November 21, 2009

haha this is too cute! Lucky my man loves green smoothies in the a.m. and he usually has 2! We make our own almond milk…hmmm I should do a post on that ;)!

happy saturday night!!

ps. you have so many wonderful desserts, you should enter my latest contest :)

XXOO

57 Leah November 22, 2009

My boyfriend loves Green Monsters! He always gets excited when I make them and asks if theres enough for him!

58 Emily Eats and Exercises November 22, 2009

Yes! Shockingly enough, my boyfriend likes Green Monsters. Check out my recent post on the subject: http://emilyeatsandexercises.wordpress.com/2009/11/13/return-of-the-green-monster/

I was super surprised when he first tried mine – he eats cereal like your husband, but with WHOLE milk…

59 Paige (Running Around Normal) November 22, 2009

Ange, you are too adorable! I’m very impressed that Eric brought up that challenge!
Shane is definitely not a GM fan, however, he hasn’t tried one either. He won’t even kiss me after I drink one! LOL They scare him,.

60 Cynthia (It All Changes) November 22, 2009

Hunni likes them when I make them. He enjoys them for a smoothie kind of dessert.

61 Suzanne November 22, 2009

Hubbie enjoys green monsters– but only if I make them for him. ;-)

62 Katy @ These Beautiful Feet November 22, 2009

Adam hasn’t had a GM yet, but I think he may be open to it. He actually made a smoothie the other day that consisted of fruit and gatorade. I need to expand his horizons and the joys a GM. Maybe that’ll be my newest project. :) Keep us updated on his progress!

63 Lindsay Perrone (goodiesgalore) November 22, 2009

I’m still confused about the contraption used to make these–juicer or blender. Does Amazing Grass have the same texture as metamuecil?

Blender :)

64 Jessica J November 22, 2009

What a fun post! I love the series of pictures and the yuck face – LOL!

My hubby eats green monsters and so does my 2-year-old! We love’em!

65 GirlonRaw November 22, 2009

I am very lucky that my man actually even gets up before me to make OUR Green Smoothies. But I am not sure they fill him up for as long as me so he does need to supplement with whole fruit or else he waits til mid morning to have another snack of fruit or nuts. I think it is brilliant that Eric was opening his mind up to it though. Go you!

66 M November 22, 2009

cute!! what about a version with milk, a few tbs of pb, and banana? i find that really masks the powder/vegetable flavor and makes it seem decadent.

good luck!

67 Alina November 22, 2009

I love this post!! It’s adorable. I think it’s amazing how you are not pressuring Eric into changing his completely different eating habits into yours, but you are slowly rubbing off on him.

Green Monsters are a big step – every time I drink one at work, people walking by my desk ask me what the hell that green stuff is. I keep hoping I’ll see someone else drinking a GM at work one morning!

Also, I like to add coconut oil into mine to help make it more filling.

68 RunToTheFinish November 22, 2009

David still looks at them with awe…but hasn’t yet decided he is willing to venture down the path. he doesn’t like bananas so that is part of the problem.

69 Lindsay Perrone (goodiesgalore) November 22, 2009

Thanks! Blender it is.

70 Kasey (Fit For Wellness) November 22, 2009

Love this post! My man refuses to drink his greens :(

71 Jennifer November 22, 2009

Loved this. I actually get DH to drink them. Almond breeze, spinach, frozen banana, soy protein, flax are the usual ingred. Then I differ things from there. He always drinks his share! I’m addicted!

72 Lisa November 22, 2009

haha I dont think I would have any chance of getting my hubby to try it – its a shame really! Maybe one day…

73 Grace November 22, 2009

He doesn’t seem to mind when I sneak in some spinach into our smooties, but I think if I added anything like hemp protein powder, he would not drink it–heck, I can barely drink that stuff.

74 Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama November 22, 2009

My H loves drinking shakes for breakfast. He prefers juicing but I always end up making a green monster.

75 Katie November 22, 2009

Maybe I need to start slow. My two attempts were disasters. Brave man though most wouldn’t even consider trying one!

Keep working on him I’m sure he’ll come around.

76 Kath November 22, 2009

Loved reading this post :)

77 AGS November 22, 2009

Kudos to Eric for making it this MOST entertaining post possible!

I had my brother try a GM when he was visiting this weekend and he said it was “OK, and clearly nutrient dense” — my husband isn’t a fan, but has had some of mine on occasion.

78 Emily November 22, 2009

Kyle drinks more Green Monsters than I do!

79 Sara November 22, 2009

Ha! You couldn’t pay my husband to drink one!I might be able to get him to “eat” one in the form of a dessert though…pineapple, hemp milk, spinach poured in a bowl topped with shredded coconut and dark chocolate chips:) Yum!

80 Sarah @ See Sarah Eat November 22, 2009

Wow, good for Eric for trying it! I don’t think my husband would ever do it, ever. I can hardly get him to drink fruit smoothies, let alone throw greens in it ;-)

81 Mary :: A Merry Life November 23, 2009

This was both hilarious and fascinating. I really enjoyed seeing how you tried to completely supplement and improve his breakfast. might not have worked, but good effort!

82 Sana November 23, 2009

Cute post! Good for Eric for trying and atleast drinking a little bit.

83 Mandy November 23, 2009

LOVED the husband GM! Here is my husband’s GM:

Frozen banana
Frozen cherries
Spinach
Jay Robb Vanilla Rice Protein Powder
Raw almond butter
Almond milk
Cocoa powder
Chia seeds
Vanilla stevia

Tastes EXACTLY like a chocolate milkshake! xo

84 Gelareh @ Orange Truffle November 23, 2009

Holly molly… 52 g of protein in one meal… The second one definately looked better.

I have never asked my husband if he would be intrested in my green smoothie… he is a chocolate shake kinda man, but I might be able to sneak in some spinach into his drink without him noticing ;)

85 Ashley November 23, 2009

My man LOVES green monsters. In fact, he now gets upset if he can’t have one before work. I’m so lucky to have him try this new healthy lifestyle. :-)

86 Pam November 23, 2009

He sure does!

Enjoy!

87 Pure2Raw Twins November 23, 2009

I have been able to get my boyfriend to have green smoothies. He does not have them everyday, but hey it’s a start. I have to make them with blueberries because he does not like them when they are green colored. SO baby steps :)

88 deisegirl November 23, 2009

Oh I wish my boyfriend would adopt some healthy eating habits. I’m getting a bit worried about how unhealthy his diet is but I can’t force him to eat the things I’m eating.

So no, he would NEVER drink a Green Monster!

89 Kat - Curves for Life November 23, 2009

Perhaps a sustainable breakfast is the lower calorie GM for him and a Glo Bar :-) Not all the calories have to fit into the GM!

90 Cindy November 23, 2009

awesome!
Mine actually WILL happily now drink any green drink I huck at him. (but it didn’t happen overnight)

just be the great example and see what happens!

91 Ashley November 24, 2009

Such a great post. Chris actually loves green monsters..definitely as much as I do. If I’m making one and he’s awake, I know to make enough for 2! http://edibleperspective.com/?p=1493

92 Andrea (Off Her Cork) November 24, 2009

We drink smoothies just about everyday and in fact, my hubs gets cranky when he doesn’t get one. :D Freezing the banana first before adding it, I’ve found helps the green monster turn out a bit smoother and just slightly thicker in consistency. Might help it go down easier for Eric. :)

93 Anais November 24, 2009

I definitely made my ex drink green monsters, he loved them! I wonder how hard it will be to find someone else to share them with, lol!

94 Tiffany November 24, 2009

Eric is such a good sport! My husband will NOT touch one! I’ve had him try a few of mine and he, very dramatically I might add, gags and makes noises and says how horrible it is. Men! ;)

95 Eliana >^..^ November 26, 2009

I loved this post! Marc and I laughed so much with the pictures.

I am going to make the Virgin GM today, and have ANOTHER question. Does the spinach need to be cooked–steamed or boiled?

96 Nikkie November 27, 2009

My man drinks Green Monsters!! His 2 favorite combos are almond milk, spinach, amazing grass wheatgrass powder with either a banana or a cup of blueberries. He drinks them after runs with me, but not as a meal because the calorie content is too low for him!