How To Get Back On Track After Indulging

Good morning everyone!

I hope your Saturday is going well. :)

Sorry I didn’t get to post last night, I was working on a special writing assignment for Glo bakery. I can’t wait to show you guys- it should be up in just over a week! :)

The other day, I got an email from a reader named Olivia. She asked me, how I recover from an indulgent meal or an indulgent day.

So I thought I would share with all of you, what my morning looks like, recovering…or not.

I have found that carrying on as normal as possible is typically the best way to go for me. In the past, I used to think that I had to starve myself after an indulgent day or week and I would end up feeling worse with no energy to bounce back. This is a vicious cycle. Since recovering from disordered eating, I have realized that it is best to give your body as many amazing healthy foods as you can and you will be feeling back to normal in no time.

STEP 1) Pure Broccoli or wheatgrass juice.

My morning tends to start out with a shot….

IMG_6049_thumb

Not that kind of shot, though. ;)

A shot of Garden Gate Farms Wheatgrass or Broccoli Sprout Juice. I buy the juice in bulk from my wholesaler.

This is 100% pure, organic and fresh juice. It doesn’t get any better!

IMG_4319_thumb

I always take the shot on an empty stomach.

IMG_4323_thumb

Benefits of Broccoli Sprout Juice can be found here.

IMG_4318_thumb

STEP 2) Organic Japanese Sencha Green Tea

IMG_1483

I now drink it in a loose leaf infuser pot (not with tea bags as shown in the picture). I drink a pot throughout the morning.

As needed, I may drink lemon water:

IMG_4947

STEP 3) Usually within 1 hour later (when my hunger finally arrives), I will have my green monster:

IMG_5197

My post-indulgence GM typically looks like this:

• 3 organic kale leaves, cooked
  • 1 cup hemp milk
  • 1 T chia seeds
  • 1 scoop Amazing Grass Wheatgrass powder
  • fresh squeezed lemon
  • 1/8 t cayenne powder (TINY amount)
  • 3-4 ice cubes
  • Kyolic Garlic Extract (2-3 drops)
  • 1/2 frozen banana

IMG_5196

I add in the lemon and cayenne powder for their strong cleansing abilities of the digestive track.

Late morning, I typically have a Renew Glo Bar for a kick of energizing protein.

IMG_4145

STEP 4) Vitamins (taken with Glo Bar)

I currently take: Spirulina, B12, D, Calcium/Magnesium, and C.

IMG_7360

STEP 5) Exercise!!!

As hard as it is to get moving after an indulgent day, I always try to get in a good sweat session to have my self feeling back to normal. It really makes the world of difference.

~~~~

So there you have it!

When I follow this, I feel amazing and am back to myself in no time.

How do you get back on track?

~~~~

I’m off my workout and then for a special outing with Krissy in Toronto! Stay tuned for a recap as well as a special post on Whittle My Middle!

Angela_Signature

1 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 14, 2009

Thats a good amount of cayenne in the green monster. Does it make it super spicy?! I just tried to return to my normal healthy habits the next day. Exercise, drink lots of water, eat fruits and veggies!

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2009

its actually 1/8 of a tsp!

3 Michelle @Eatingjourney November 14, 2009

I totally do the same thing..green monsters have saved me.

I have switched from beating myself up from a bit to much to ‘today is today. I choose how to make it the best I can.’ I used to have this whole master plan of starting over tomorrow, etc. However, now I focus on making the day that I am in the best that it can be. It helps so much shaking an disappointment from an indulgent day.

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2009

Such great advice!

5 Alex November 14, 2009

I am most definitely going to have to try spicing up my GMs!!! I have found my ingredient combo that I love, so I am a wimp and not diverging… But cayenne and lemon would clean up my insides!
My new post-indulgent night routine mirrors yours somewhat and I can feel my body recovering sooo much faster. I used to love stretching the bad habits from the night before (booze, post-bar food) into the next day with a greasy breakfast and lazy television-ing. Not anymore! My bod loves me!!
Well, it may love me more if I didn’t indulge so much the night before… :-)

6 Haleigh November 14, 2009

Thanks for the tips. I usually make a green monster after an indulgent day too. I just try not to hang onto the thought that yesterday I ate more than usual.. it all evens out in the grand scheme of things.

Enjoy your weekend! xoxo

7 Nicci@NiftyEats November 14, 2009

I need to start taking vitamins again. I actually like wheat grass shots too.Cayenne in the GM, I’ll have to try this one.

8 EaterNotARunner November 14, 2009

I could use some detox right now….too much ice cream ;-)

I think that exercise is really the best detoxer, and fresh fruits and veggies…

9 Amy (One Thousand Steps) November 14, 2009

Great post! I usually just drink some water with fresh-squeezed lemon juice and try to get out for a nice, long walk outside. I have a hard time drinking green monsters in the cold weather but yours sounds so refreshing!

10 Nicole November 14, 2009

Thank you so much for posting this!!! It is just what I needed after an indulgent week!! :)

11 Melinda November 14, 2009

I usually just go about business as usual since I try to keep everything in moderation every day. I don’t usually indulge in to much since nothing is ever off limits if it is inbalance. My grandparents just got back from a cruise and I suppose they indulged and now that I think about it I may indulged a little on my honeymoon, but it was easy to get back on track since it was right back to the regular daily grind.

12 skinnyrunner November 14, 2009

great tips! i try to hydrate well and do some easy cardio to at least make my head mentally feel better about overindulging.

13 Tania @ Moment Anew November 14, 2009

Wow, I SO needed this post! Excellent advice everyone!!! I’ll be indulging tonight as I’m throwing a dinner party and was just wondering how to proceed tomorrow! Thanks! :)

14 Jenny November 14, 2009

I’m new to the green monster phenomenon and am a little confused as to what it is.. is it just breakfast? or something that you have with breakfast? Also, where can I get all of these things that go into it – just an organic food store or vitamin store? I’m excited to try it and get glowing!!

15 MarathonVal November 14, 2009

I love all your ideas – definitely try to get some cardio in! – and I try to drink a lot of water and get in as many veggies as possible! I also am obsessed with my juicer…. it helps me squeeze in MANY servings of veggies and fruit in just one glass!

16 Jil November 14, 2009

Great tips! I find that I’ve had to teach myself to not sweat it after a night of indulgence (because duh, they happen, and why not enjoy them!). I have learned not to kick myself for them because they are indeed a part of life, and I would just find myself going down the slippery slope of “Oh, I already ate like crap, I might as well continue, it doesn’t matter anymore” when I would get down on myself for indulging.

17 Kristen November 14, 2009

Hey Angela! First I have to say that you’re definitely my favorite food blogger.

I have a question. I saw the link you put up to the benefits of wheatgrass. Do you believe all of the claims on the site? Some of it reeks of a health fad…in particular, “turns gray hair to its natural color again”–and even more so, “generates healthful negative ions to help you sleep more soundly”!

In short, I was just wondering to what extent you look at claims such as those for wheatgrass and really for any other new “health discovery” with a critical eye, trying to sort out what’s valid and what’s just being marketed really well and sometimes misleadingly.

Thanks and thanks for a great blog =]

18 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2009

Probably not the best link for it, but I could not find the one I was looking for. I don’t support ALL the claims in that article. I must find the one I was looking for and will post it.

Mainly I go by how it makes me feel….and I feel amazing when I am drinking the juices and smoothies. I’ve never felt better physically and mentally and I attribute that much to what I put in my body.

19 The Voracious Vegan November 14, 2009

Green juices and green smoothies are the BEST thing to devour after a day of indulgent feasting.

The best way to bounce back is to banish guilt – that is a feeling I have no place for in my life.

Just get right back to eating delicious, fresh foods and don’t worry about the tasty side trip your tastebuds had!

And excercise is always a must, there is no better way to feel great.

Fantastic post, as always!

20 Organic Ashley November 14, 2009

Wow definitely some great suggestions!! You have come a long way since your eating disorder past…so healthy! Great advice.

21 Allison November 14, 2009

Good morning! well its technically still morning in Saskatchewan.
It is so funny you made that post today, because yesterday I was just like a pig, basically, I had a bag of microwave popcorn all to myself, bceause ryan was still at work. And then we ordered pizza for supper. So i was just feeling like, UHG why did I do that, tomorrow I need to fix things! And that was my plan. And then I woke up to this post, how crazy eh?
But anyways, I dont have wheatgrass or anything, but i did start out with a green monster. its my first post of the day too. Im just starting out blogging again, have you check it out?

keep smiling

22 Heather November 14, 2009

Where does everyone buy their wheatgrass juice/ broccoli juice?

23 Susan November 14, 2009

Most of the time I’m not even that hungry after an indulgent day, so my body just naturally allows it to even out. I totally agree on the workout too – gets rid of that “blah” feeling. Even just a walk outside helps! What does NOT help is wallowing on the couch :P

24 Katie November 14, 2009

I just exercise and let my body chill. I try not to stress too much and just go back to normal the next day.

25 Priyanka November 14, 2009

Do you take supplements regularly?

26 Janna (Just Flourishing) November 14, 2009

Wow that’s a lot of green/nutrients in the morning! My morning usually consists of being sleepy and making a big bowl of oats :) Maybe I should start adding more green!

27 Emmanuelle November 14, 2009

Well usually I just follow what my body tells me, and it eventually even out as I go naturally for lighter food the day after. And a bit of exercice helps too :-)

28 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) November 14, 2009

Love the picture of you with the vitamins! It looks like you are hugging them. cute!

29 Bridget November 14, 2009

Exercise always makes me feel better after I indulged the day before. I will also focus on eating extra fruits and veggies to give me some of the much needed vitamins I likely missed out on during my indulgence

30 Diane November 14, 2009

Uhhh this post was PERFECT timing for me–I made cookies the other night & have had more than my fair share. Thanks for the tips!

31 Jolene November 14, 2009

Great tips! I am going to check out Garden Gate Farms for those products – they sound wonderful!

32 Jen November 14, 2009

Way off topic and a bit intrusive…but from one vegan married to a meat eater to another…are you planning on raising your children vegetarian or vegan? This topic has personally been a sore spot between me and my husband.

33 Carissa November 15, 2009

Great topic.. I have to agree that continuing as usual the morning after is the best way to recover. Drink lots of water and plan for a hard workout once you’re feeling up to it. I’ve heard a lot about these green monsters. I’m going to have to try one for myself. But they look horrible!

34 Eliana >^..^ November 15, 2009

I was reading this post out loud to Marc and his response was: “Does any of that stuff even taste good?” LOL I laughed so hard. ;o)

So I told you that we are in Trinidad at the moment, we have a week left here. I have been working (doing research) on a vega diet, I am vegetarian at the moment but really want to be vegan. My issue is that I HATE cooking so it might be a little harder for me but I will try. So, every time I read one of your post I get my notepad and write the products that you use or the recipes that I think I would like. ;o) I feel like I’m in school! ;o)

Marc looked at my list and said: “You are crazy!”, I dont think he was too impress with how some of those things sounded, like the GM. ;o) I told him about the beginner GM, and how you start slow. ;o)

How does Chia and Spirulina help your body?

I went to order some bars, but I found that the shipping was very expensive. I might be ordering with some other friends that want to try the bars so we can split the shipping. Aileen Sanchez (a friend of mine just joined blobakery). ;O) I can’t wait to try them.

Have a wonderful Sunday!!

35 Lindsay November 15, 2009

Did you ever experience nausea when taking the wheatgrass? I tried a shot of wheatgrass the other day and it DID NOT agree with my stomach. It unfortunately came right back up within 20 minutes of taking it. My stomach isn’t sensitive at all and I don’t know why I got so sick from it! Have you ever heard of anyone else experiencing this? I would love to drink it more but not if it makes me puke every time.

36 Kristin (runningsongs) November 15, 2009

The green monster saved the day this morning. :) Hydrating, delicious AND cold… three very key components.

37 Cynthia (It All Changes) November 15, 2009

When I eat poorly the next day is full of tea and veggies and grains. Pretty much a vegan day is my saving grace.

38 M. November 16, 2009

Are you a vegan?
I have tried, but chicken and fish are staples in my diet.
After reading “Skinny bitch” however I am willing to give it another shot.
I’ll have to try hemp milk although Almond and Soy are quite tasty too!

39 Lynn Soon November 18, 2009

Hey Angela! I’m sure you’ve answered this question a million times, but what are the benefits of Garlic? Can you purchase this at a health food store or is this something I need to buy online? THanks!

40 Ashley November 19, 2009

This is a great post for after Thanksgiving Day (yes I’m already planning my day of indulgence!) I can’t wait to try it- God knows I need all the help I can get!