Fresh Restaurant Take 4 + Whittle My Middle Updates

Good evening!

Krissy and I had a fun get together in Toronto today! We went to Lululemon (surprisingly, I walked out empty-handed!) and also to Fresh.

With all the crazy Swine going around, we decided to start off our lunch with an Immune Elixir:

juice thumb   Fresh Restaurant Take 4 + Whittle My Middle Updates

<——- Krissy

<——- Me

Lung Lover (left), Flu Fighter (right):

IMG 7564 thumb   Fresh Restaurant Take 4 + Whittle My Middle UpdatesIMG 7563 thumb   Fresh Restaurant Take 4 + Whittle My Middle Updates

I had the Flu Fighter back on our anniversary weekend. I knew today I had to get it again. It was even better than I remembered. Warm, soothing, intense, and ginger-y.

IMG 7565 thumb   Fresh Restaurant Take 4 + Whittle My Middle Updates

For lunch, I tried my first salad at Fresh and it did not disappoint.

I got the ‘Big Salad’. I felt like Elaine from Seinfeld. ;)

hgg thumb   Fresh Restaurant Take 4 + Whittle My Middle Updates

IMG 7566 thumb   Fresh Restaurant Take 4 + Whittle My Middle Updates

I had mine without cheese, but with marinated tofu. I rarely eat tofu anymore as I have been trying not to buy many processed veggie products lately (its cheaper to buy beans/lentils!). I had it for a ‘treat’ today as I do like tofu on occasion. However, I wasn’t a huge fan of this tofu. I prefer my tofu baked and crisp and we thought this was raw? It was …..’meh’ I ate half.

IMG 7567 thumb   Fresh Restaurant Take 4 + Whittle My Middle Updates

The salad was delicious though. Especially the homemade dressing:

fsfs thumb   Fresh Restaurant Take 4 + Whittle My Middle Updates

I had the Wild Ginger dressing and it was TO DIE FOR!!!!!

IMG 7568 thumb   Fresh Restaurant Take 4 + Whittle My Middle Updates

Yum.

Camera Curse:

Unfortunately, my camera battery died when we went to get a picture together. What is it with my camera dying at Fresh?! lol. Unfortunately, I lost my battery charger for my point-and-shoot so I have no idea when I will be able to charge it again. Looks like I will be lugging the SLR everywhere for a while!

On that note- Bad news about our SLR. Remember when I told you Eric dropped it? Well, apparently something bad did happen. :( We took the backlight flash off the camera yesterday and we discovered that the regular flash (the one built into the actual camera) no longer works. It won’t even pop open. :*( I am devastated. We are going to see if it is under warranty, but I doubt it since we’ve had the SLR for 3 years now. *sniff, sniff.

On a happier note, Krissy and I had a great time and it was fun being a big city girl once again! The lovely Alex was supposed to join us, but she is sick with the flu. Feel better soon!!!

~~~~

Whittle My Middle News!

1) Stability Ball Roll-out

The amazing Lexi from The Ramblings of a Healthy Student read about our Stability Ball Roll-out woes and she offered to do a video demo for us!!!

Check it! Make sure the volume is up high.

Isn’t she a doll? :D

I took Lexi’s awesome advice and lo and behold the move WORKS!!! I was doing it all wrong. Thank you Lexi!

PS- We have the exact same stability ball! ;)

2) Yoga for Sore Abs?!

Are your abs sore and tight from the onslaught of core exercises? I discovered a great yoga pose to help stretch out those sore ab muscles!

The cobra pose is amazing for stretching out abs!!!

HP MAR06 Bhujangasana 248 thumb   Fresh Restaurant Take 4 + Whittle My Middle Updates

I do this pose at the end of every Whittle My Middle session and it feels incredible. Try it!

3) Stability Ball for a sore back!?

I love playing around on my stability ball. I have discovered that it is not just for abs- it is actually a great stretching tool. I lay all over it and twist and turn and it stretches out my back so wonderfully! I love this move in particular:

IMG 7561 thumb   Fresh Restaurant Take 4 + Whittle My Middle Updates

Weeeeeeeeeeeeee…….

IMG 7562 thumb   Fresh Restaurant Take 4 + Whittle My Middle Updates

Ahhh it feels sooooo good on my back. Such an amazing stretch.

I figure I spend most of my waking hours with my back hunched in the opposite direction, so it is nice to stretch it the other way for once. ;)

Here I am at the gym yesterday doing my yoga and core work:

IMG 7549 thumb   Fresh Restaurant Take 4 + Whittle My Middle Updates

Sporting my undergrad university zip-up- University of Guelph. Loved that school so much. Any Gryphons out there?

The past couple days I have been doing some intense cardio on the gym’s Stepmill. I am convinced the stepmill is the hardest cardio machine out there. I am the only one ever on the damn thing at the gym! lol.

Today I did 45 min. on the mill at intensity 10-12. Man oh man was it hard. I was drenched in sweat afterwards. Such a great workout. I skipped my abs today as I doubled up on the WMM moves yesterday.

I am going to be quite sad when my free gym pass runs out. It has been a nice change of scenery.

You can follow all my workouts on my Run page as well as my Whittle My Middle workouts on my abs page.

~~~~~

Glo Bakery:

• I just made every single flavour of Glo Bar available in the shopping cart!!!!!! This is the first time I have ever done this, so if there is a flavour you have been waiting on, get it while you can! They won’t be available for long.
  • Don’t forget that pre-ordering for holiday gifts is happening now with 10% off the gift packs until Nov 20th. The orders are already filling up fast so get yours in soon before it is too late.

~~~~

My new addiction:

• I’m off to watch Gossip Girl. I watched Season 1 Episode 1 last night and I am officially HOOKED. I can’t believe how addicting this show is! I wonder how quickly I can get caught up on all the seasons?????

Have a lovely night!

Angela Signature thumb19   Fresh Restaurant Take 4 + Whittle My Middle Updates

Bridget November 14, 2009

Hehe nice pictures of you on the stability ball! So fun ;)

Marian November 14, 2009

Ah…you went to UofG?? That’s awesome! I’m actually from Elora (if you know it)…so Guelph is our ‘big city’. hahahah.

And I completely agree with you on GG. It has stolen many hours of my life and continues to do so. :)

krissy November 14, 2009

People are going to think we are just making our friendship up since we never take any pictures HAHAH!!! We have the worst luck with our camera’s ;)
xoxo love ya girlie!

Elly November 14, 2009

Are the juices hot as in spicey hot or temperature hot? Am thinking about trying to re-create them with my juicer because they look and sound so good and I can’t get them in Australia!!

PS – I love stretching out like that over my swiss ball! It works wonders for my back (and my mood – all that blood rushing to the head gives me a high :-) )

Lexi November 14, 2009

I am so glad to help. Sorry the volume is low. It was my 1st video. I love doing those stretches after core work…you should do cat/cow also.
My bf & I are obssessed with GG. He isn’t even ashamed to be 26 & can’t miss an episode :) I got Season 1 on dvd for my bday last year & I watch it over and over. I’m glad I’m not the only one. Things change so much from Season 1.
Have a lovely day!

Shannon (The Daily Balance) November 14, 2009

yay! I love FRESH! Wish we had them in the US!

have a lovely evening ;)

Katie November 14, 2009

I must go to Fresh it sounds lovely!

Bummer on the camera! Mine ran out of battery when I needed. It happens as bloggers we understand!

I am going to look more into your ab exercises. I want good abs again… I need to see which I can do or modify so I can do it even w/ my neck.

Janna (Just Flourishing) November 15, 2009

Yay for Fresh! My favorites there are the bowls for sure.

Agreed, the stepmill is killer. When I started using it (a year ago) I also noticed that I was the only one who was ever on it. Which was awesome because I didnt have to wait for a machine and I could use it as long as I wanted to.

But then, a couple months later some guy, who started frequenting the gym at the same time I did, also enjoyed using the stepmill and he always got there right before I did! So I never got a chance to use it because there was only one!

And that was the end of my stepmilling. I should really get back into it since I’ve long since switched gyms! Thanks for the reminder!

Aneta November 15, 2009

Great ab workout!
i’ve thought of bringing my camera with me to the gym, but i always feel awkward, like people will be looking at me.
So congrats on the ‘balls’ to do that!!

and my bf went to Guelph. he has a sweatshirt from there, and i love to wear it!!!

katie November 15, 2009

you are too cute!! great ab workout!!
that restaurant looks AWESOME! haha i love the seinfield thrown in there too

Megan November 15, 2009

OH. MY. GOSH.
You went to Guelph?!!?! How did I not know this!?! I’M A GRYPHON!!! Graduating next April, actually. :) As soon as I saw your sweater I was trying to figure out why it looked SO familiar, until I kept reading underneath.

This is very cool. :)

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) November 15, 2009

Get ready to devote every second of your day to watching GG!!! I guess you can watch it while you bake Globars :)

I LOVE DAN HUMPHREY!!!! I LOVE GG!!! So jealous of you–I wish I still had 2 seasons to pure amazingness to watch!!

Hil November 15, 2009

I do the same stretch on my bal!

Ameena November 15, 2009

I have only been to Fresh once but I cannot wait to get back. It be a while since I’m on the other side of a different country. But I still can’t wait! Their food is fantastic.

The Voracious Vegan November 15, 2009

GREAT POST! That restaurant looks fabulous, I love the flu fighting smoothie, it looks intense and just the thing for this sickness filled time of the year.

Ooooh that giant salad is exactly what I want to be eating right now….but I don’t know how I would ever choose a dressing – they all look SO good! But the raw tofu…..I’m with you, I definitely would prefer it to be baked or grilled…raw is a little bland, unless it is seriously marinated or something.

Thanks for a fantastic post!

Jess November 15, 2009

what a great video! Thanks Lexi! I was worried I was doing it wrong because I kind of bent at the waist a little bit, but she does too. I’ll be trying that again shortly.

Jolene November 15, 2009

I have been meaning to rent Gossip Girl! I love renting series, because then you don’t have to wait a week for the next episode :-)

Amanda November 15, 2009

I agree with you about the stepmill! I do it for half an hour at a time and I see people come and go on it. It’s like I’m the last one standing! It kicks my butt!

Jess November 15, 2009

I was just writing on my (new!) blog about Fresh. I got their cookbook from the library because I saw your posts about it and everything looked so good. Their marinated tofu is indeed raw. I sometimes enjoy raw tofu if it’s the organic, fresh stuff, but it definitely takes some getting used to.

Thanks for the Whittle My Middle challenge. I’m a little late but hoping to get started on it tomorrow.

Allison November 15, 2009

Seinfeld rocks! Just wanted to put that out there. lol

Toronto seems to have some pretty sweet places to eat, Saskatchewan doesn’t seem to be that hip.. sucks for me. Maybe ill open something up with all that stuff that I wish was here

Marilyn November 15, 2009

I’m a shameless Gossip Girl addict too. Seriously, there is only one show that I will schedule my life around… and that show is Gossip Girl. :P If I miss it, I get a little anxious until I can watch it online! (I wish I had DVR.)

Cecilia November 15, 2009

Oh wow, my dad graduated from that university as well :D He brags about it all the time to us. He got his chemistry degree + honors there

Michelle @ Eatingjourney November 15, 2009

You will be addicted to GG. I spent my whole birthday weekend plowing through two seasons of GG…literally back-to-back episodes. I love it. I didn’t like Chuck in the beginning, but his character is grew on me. Enjoy. xoxo Gossip Girl :)

Leah @ Simply fabulous November 15, 2009

Yep, Guelph grad here!!! That is a time in my life that I wish I could go back and enjoy more!

VeggieGirl November 15, 2009

Stellar meal and I LOVE the GOSSIP GIRL series!!

Love the Christmas lights :-D

Susan November 15, 2009

LOVE the video! So well explained and demonstrated :)

Raw tofu? That does a number on a lot of people’s stomachs (including my own). Ick. Your guys’ drinks sound amazing though! I am so intrigued by hot juice…

Nicole November 15, 2009

I need to find myself some of those juices.. both my sisters just got over swine flu and I am so nervous that I am going to get it!!

I hate to admit that I haven’t watched ANY of the Gossip Girl episodes this season! I am just so far behind now that I think I might have to wait for them to come out on DVD. I feel so out of the loop!

AGS November 15, 2009

Those elixers sounds terrific!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 15, 2009

I love stability ball workouts!

Eliana >^..^ November 15, 2009

We (Marc and I) might need to take a little side trip to Toronto so I can go to Fresh and, maybe, even have the opportunity to meet you in person. ;o)

The one thing is that there are some veterinary conferences there once in a while so that would be the perfect opportunity.

BTW, Marc did his internship in Guelph back in 99-00.

>^..^<

Amy November 15, 2009

I’ve told you this before… but I’m Guelph Alum. :)

I have to agree. BEST SCHOOL EVER!

I absolutely love the area too. My best friend ended up settling there so I get back to visit quite often.

Dori November 15, 2009

Great video from Lexi, she is wonderful! I’m tempted to get my ball out from behing the chair now :)

Kristie Lynn November 15, 2009

Thanks Lexi for the video!

Michelle November 15, 2009

Omigosh Fresh looks so delicious! Someday I’m going to have to eat there. Your elixir looks so yummy!

Andrea November 15, 2009

Both my parents graduated from good old U of G… my dad is a prof there now! I’m in the process of transferring there, actually! After living 6 hours from home for 2 years I’m ready to embrace my inner Gryphon for my last two years of school heehee.

J November 15, 2009

Hey there! I read your blog everyday but rarely comment, I HAD to comment on this post because it feels so close to home for me. I LOVE FRESH, I used to live in Toronto, just down the street from fresh (spadina and front) but I moved away a few months ago. I also went to GUELPH!!! Graduated in ’07!
A very nostalgic post indeed!

Melinda November 15, 2009

Looks like you had a good lunch. The dressing choices looked amazing.

whitney November 15, 2009

OMG your food looks amazing. Those juices look awesome too.

Monica November 15, 2009

Thanks so much for posting the additional video on the ab roll outs, it helped SOOOO much! :) And Gossip Girl, so addictive!

Lindsay Perrone (goodiesgalore) November 15, 2009

Not sure about the flu fighter concoction. That suckers looks and sounds freaky.

Page 1 of 212»