Whittle My Middle In 30 Days

I totally let my amazing core work slide when I was busy training for my races over the summer and fall months. Last week, I decided it was time to get back in the game of core work. I was shocked at how much stamina and endurance I had lost in just a few months! I was shaking like a leaf after just 15-20 seconds. My balance also sucks once again.

I would love to improve my core work again and get my toned waist back! I know it’s under there somewhere. ;)

I’m actually a bit strange because I am drawn to core work even though I don’t particularly enjoy it. It is sort of like running, it gets easier and more enjoyable as you improve your endurance. In July, I was rocking out some advanced planks for over 90 seconds.

I am going to run a Whittle My Middle In 30 Days Challenge to myself and any willing participants.

Here is what I will be doing:

CORE WORK: 6-10 minute core workout, 5 days a week, doing the following exercises:

• Plank
  • Side plank
  • Plank with elbows on stability ball
  • Stability Ball Jackknifes
  • Stability ball roll out
  • Plank Rotations

All of the core exercises that I will be doing are found in this video by Turbulance Training:

Excellent, informative, and easy to follow video. Well done!!!!

I will be doing all of the exercises featured in the video.

6-10 minutes a day total, 5 days a week for 1 month. Challenge ends December 10th. Because I will likely find these exercises quite challenging at first, I will probably start off with 6 minutes for the first week or two and work my way up to 10 minutes.

You can participate any way that you want! The point of the challenge is to strengthen our core muscles. Core muscles are an important factor in so many of our daily activities- running, lifting, bending, and even our posture!

~~~~

Looking forward to things is half the pleasure of them.
- Lucy Mand Montgomery

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 11, 2009

Great idea to keep people in shape for the holidays!! :)

nicolene November 12, 2009

going to have to try this!!!!

Michelle @ Eatingjourney November 11, 2009

I am in. In like hot cakes. :) Whittle this middle baby. I am gonna have abs for summer in Oz. Bring on the bikini :)

Marian November 11, 2009

I am definitely jumping on the ab-whittling train! Very excited! Although I’m not sure I’ll be able to rock the extended arm planks like you OR look even semi-human while trying….haha.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 11, 2009

hahaha its the effort that matters! As long as you are challenging your abs it is working!

Katie November 11, 2009

Great idea! IF I could I would. I can’t get over my neck pain so I just do as minimal ab as I can. I used to do 20 minutes 3-4 days a week pre injury :/

You rocked that side plank.

Jill November 11, 2009

I cant wait to get rolling on this workout!! I have been looking for a way to kick it up with abs!

Amanda November 11, 2009

I’ve been going to physical therapy for a running injury and my PT told me I have a very weak core. She also said my balance was way off and questioned whether or not I fall a lot!! HAHA….

Thanks for the challenge – I am definitely going to work on my core!

Madelin @ What is for breakfast? November 11, 2009

Awesome! I’m going to Hawaii in 3 weeks and have been looking forward to you posting this challenge all day! I really need the core work before bikini time!!

Caroline November 11, 2009

I’m totally in! I’ll have to find something new to do lacking a stability ball. I’ve taken pilates classes (sure it was like months ago) I’m sure I can figure something out!

CC November 11, 2009

I’d love to join, but my middle will not be whittled until April. I’m 4 months pregnant and the baby has other plans for my waistline unfortunately… Good luck to everyone.

Kristine November 11, 2009

you totally just inspired me to start ab training again. I feel SO MUCH better when I train my abs. It totally works your arms and legs too!! I don’t have a stability ball, but I will try to modify it. Thanks for the inspiration! I NEEDED IT!

Kristine November 11, 2009

UPDATE: I just whipped out my ab roller for under my bed and did it for 3 minutes. YAY!

Brittney November 11, 2009

I am so in! This sounds like an awesome idea! :D

Spotty Prep November 11, 2009

I’m doing the Jillian Micheals No More Trouble Zones every other day this month, which seems pretty core work intensive to me! I’ll take my measurements- I’m interested to see how I’m being “whittled!”

Estela @ Weekly Bite November 11, 2009

I need to whittle my middle… thanks for the tips :)

megan November 11, 2009

I’m definitely in! I can’t see the video for some reason though. Between this and the pile on them miles challenge, I should be good to go :)

Paige @ Running Around Normal November 11, 2009

I need to work on my core (abs and back!) more. I always let it slide…

rebecca lustig November 11, 2009

Mmm, I believe all of our inner strength and confidence stems from the core. I’m definitely up for the challenge. Thanks for sharing !

Have a wonderful Wednesday
becca

Kelsey November 11, 2009

yes! this is exact;y the kind of challenge I need right now :]

Hope November 11, 2009

I’m totally in! I’m changing my life for the better and losing around 50 pounds while I’m at it so this is perfect.

I don’t have a stability ball so I guess I’ll just do more of the other moves.

katherine November 11, 2009

Great challenge idea! I found I’d been neglecting my core while I focused on increasing mileage, just like you, and it’s time to get back to my “core values” ;-)

Kristin @ Iowa Girl Eats November 11, 2009

Oooo – my core DESPERATELY needs this! I will definitely be participating!

Taylor - Pacing For Pretzels November 11, 2009

I am totally in for this challenge! I will also take pictures and measure. I absolutely hate doing core work so this will be a great incentive to get my abs in gear. :)

Ashlee November 11, 2009

I am so glad that you brought this up. I hit the snooze way too many times this morning instead of getting up to workout. Now that you have challenged us, I will definitely be more pumped up. Thanks!

Heather November 11, 2009

oh, Ange- I am frightened in the best way!

yesterday I posted a blog about the top ten things I need to do this month to make myself a better runner; and guess what was on the list – CORE STRENGTH!

This is perfect :) i know i’m really going to be FEELING IT the next few days especially as I start the new core strengthening routine! I can’t wait to see us all improving throughout the next month :) GREAT CHALLENGE, my friend!

MarathonVal November 11, 2009

I love this idea and will definitely be participating!! I love the photo part of it since it adds accountability! Ever since I recently finished a marathon and stopped posting my daily training workouts, I have definitely slacked in the fitness deparment more than I like.

Bravo on the great idea! :)

Whitney @ Lettuce Love November 11, 2009

Great idea! I am in — I am off to do some planks :)

Ellen November 11, 2009

Perfect timing! I could use the focus before the holiday madness begins. I’m in and can’t wait to whittle my middle :)

Amelia November 11, 2009

Great idea for a challenge. It is INCREDIBLE how much stamina I can lose when I slack off on the core workouts. Once I get back to it, it’s like I’m starting from square one. Definitely an area that needs more focus, especially since strong core muscles will help in all other workouts.

Denise November 11, 2009

I have two questions. Will these core exercises whittle away inches? Also, to make the green juice, will a blender work or is a juicer necessary?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 11, 2009

The last time I did core work I did lose inches, but I think that is because I was also diligent about eating healthy and also getting in cardio exercise too.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 11, 2009

oh and to make green monsters, I use a blender. Juicers remove all of the pulp. It depends what you prefer! I prefer to use the entire piece of veggie/fruit.

Denise November 11, 2009

Thanks for your answers! I have been trying hard to eat healthy, have had some not so good moments, and do NO exercise. I have GOT to change that!

Morgan @ Life After Bagels November 11, 2009

I despise planks, really and truly. But sit ups always give me a tender back for some reason. Then I end up doing no core exercises. It’s a mean vicious circle. But I am up for your challenge. It’s either that or buy new pants so Whittle my middle it is!

natalie November 11, 2009

This is perfect! I always want to do some sort of ab/core work for a period of time and measure my resutls but I suck at following through with abs. When i’ve finished a great workout, I always find myself skipping my core, which is so important! AHH! I am SUPER excited to do this! Thanks for the challeng!!! I think building and toning my core through this 30 day challenge will give me more modivation to keep up the core workd afterwards! Thanks for the challenge!

Whit November 11, 2009

I’m IN!

Rose November 11, 2009

Count me in. This is just what I need!

skinnyrunner November 11, 2009

sounds like a fantastic challenge! i definitely need to work on my core, and it helps with running alot too esp injury prevention.

ashley (sweet & natural) November 11, 2009

I just wanted to say that I love your quote today! I am constantly looking forward to something, so much that sometimes I have to tell myself to live more in the moment. But it’s so true – the anticipation is half the fun!

Jess November 11, 2009

oh hell yes! I’m in. I’ve been trying to find core workouts to do on my own. Sweet challenge!

Ashley November 11, 2009

This is great, Angela! It’s just the motivation I need, and as I just said in my tweet – totally doable. I need to get a stability ball (it’s been on my to-do list for a while). Is there a size that you recommend? I am relatively short, and sometimes my trainer has me using different ones, but I wonder what is best for home use?

Thanks for the push! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 11, 2009

It varies according to your height and weight..there is usually a guideline on the box :)

Diane November 11, 2009

I’m definitely going to be doing this with everyone! Thank you!

Carolyn November 11, 2009

Love the challenge! I hope you post a reminder when it starts. I definitely need it. :)

Betsy November 11, 2009

Definitely IN! What an awesome challenge. Especially needed around the Holidays when my middle seems to extend a little due to all the delicious treats that I can’t seem to say no to!

Julie @savvyeats November 11, 2009

I’m in! Though I think I’m going to start tomorrow because I have an intense Pilates class tonight–that will be plenty of abwork for today! ;)

And thanks for the link, dear!

Page 1 of 3123»