P90X Yoga: Something Blue, Something New

Ladies and gents, I have been rocking the yoga this week!

IMG_7255IMG_7256

Specifically, the P90X Yoga that I mentioned earlier this week. Eric borrowed this from a coworker and we have had it sitting around for ages now. I finally dug it up and gave it a whirl!

If you’ve been following the blog for a while, you probably remember my stint with yoga in December 2008/January 2009. I dove full force into yoga, 30-Day shred, and training for a marathon. It was no surprise that I sustained an injury from the over-training.

I have grown a lot since that time and I realize that I am the type of person who likes to focus on one main goal or challenge, instead of spreading myself all over the place. When I was training for my races this summer and fall, I was focused. I had tangible goals and I met them.

There has always been this lingering desire for me to practice yoga on a regular basis. I think this is the perfect time for me to explore something new. I find that I am craving flexibility and tension-relief exercises. I haven’t done anything of the sort in months! Baking all day has left me with really stiff and sore back muscles and I hope that yoga will help with that.

IMG_7262

I have been turning out the lights in the office and lighting a few candles. This instantly relaxes me, similar to baking when the sun rises and everything looks clean and crisp outdoors.

I haven’t set a time limit. I just go until I feel tired and stretched out. Tuesday I ended up doing 15 minutes, Wednesday I did 25, and Thursday I did another 15.

I immediately knew that I was going to like this DVD because it didn’t seem too ‘out there’ for me. It seemed like a normal group of people practicing yoga. I liked that the group involved a male athlete who had just started to take up yoga to help with his athleticism! Many athletes in all different areas practice yoga as a way to improve their chosen sport. I think it can really help with my running too because I have obviously gotten really tight and was doing nothing about it.

IMG_7260

I can’t review the entire 90 minute DVD since I have only done 25 minutes, but I can tell you what I liked about it so far:

1) Aside from the instructor’s heavy breathing, he is quite easy to listen to and learn from. He explains things clearly.

2) The DVD counts down the time remaining (far right) as well as how many seconds are left in each interval. I don’t pay much attention to it, but it is nice to have.

3) For the first 25 minutes, I was able to follow along with the poses without too much difficulty. At some parts they moved a bit quicker than I did, and this caused me to lag a bit, but it wasn’t a big deal.

4) In addition to the instructor naming each pose, the bottom of the screen also displays the name. This really helped me learn each pose name. I find when instructors just say it, I never really picked them up. I am a visual learner! I love how clear this DVD is.

IMG_7264

Here is what I didn’t enjoy:

1) Downward facing dogs

I despise them with every core of my being. My arms are so sore!!!! I could see enjoying this pose if I was flexible, but it really is no fun when you aren’t. I hope this improves over time. This DVD had many series of down dogs over and over and over again. I found it felt a bit long. Again, I hope that improves as I improve. I also need to work on my mental game and focus because I am not as zoned out as I would like to be.

IMG_7250

At the start of the DVD, the instructor says, ‘Free your mind of all the clutter’. It really is necessary to get into it. Tonight my mind wasn’t into it and I could tell. Eric and I sort of had a stressful night and I was just not able to tune out my thoughts.

IMG_7230

To all you yogis out there: What are your tricks for zoning out and being present in the moment? Does it just come with practice?

What do I think of yoga so far?

All and all, I am enjoying it so far and I am trying to keep my spirits up despite feeling like I suck. I think the reason I get so frustrated with yoga is because for me it is not easy to see improvements with it as fast as I would like to. Yoga, to me, seems abstract. With something like running or weight training, I have clear tangible evidence of my hard work in terms of numbers. I know that my flexibility will improve and I will notice that over time, but it is just not what I am used to I guess!

Yoga is probably one of the hardest challenges I have given myself because of my lack of flexibility and my fidgety personality. When I was young, I always scored POOR on my flexibility tests in gym class. I also am the type of person who can’t sit still, so it is no surprise that I did not gravitate toward yoga.

I got frustrated with my down dogs tonight and Eric said something very clever. He said, ‘It’s not about whether you do the pose exactly right or not. It’s not about your form. It is whether you are challenging your own body. Are you stretching? Well, then you are doing it right.’

Who is this guy? lol. Apparently, he was a yogi in his past life! ;) Wise words from my man.

~~~~

I think I need to stop focusing on my form so much and start focusing more on how my body feels and where my mind is. I think I will find that it is much more pleasurable this way.

~~~~

Do you do yoga? What was it like when you started? Tell me your story!

Angela_Signature

There is an amazing giveaway going on for GLO BARS! Enter here!

1 Rachael (La Dolce Vita) October 30, 2009

I’m love yoga and have been doing it on and off for awhile now. I’m currently obsessed with hot yoga – the chilly Canadian fall makes me crave that sweet, sweet heat!

When I started I was a bit insecure to practice around all the other seemingly advanced yogis in my classes. But as I kept at it, I realized that everyone is at a different stage in their yoga practice and there is no “perfect”. We are all working on ourselves.

After a few weeks of doing hot yoga every day, I found a noticeable improvement in my balance, flexibility and even my muscle definition. I’m still working on it :)

I am really intrigued by this video you’re doing. I have been looking for a good yoga video I can do at home while my daughter takes her nap.

xx
Rachael

2 Rachael (La Dolce Vita) October 30, 2009

Oops! I meant “I” – not “I’m” in that first sentence. I think a good rule of thumb is that if there is a typo in the first word of your comment then it’s time to put away the computer and go to bed hahaha

3 Kate October 30, 2009

I agree, hot yoga is incredible! The heat promotes sweating out the toxins and you can go deeper in your stretches. Plus, your heart rate works faster which also creates a cardiovascular workout. My skin was so clear, my muscles were the most relaxed they’ve been in ages, and my mind was clear as well. Hot yoga (also known as “Bikram Yoga”) is my favorite out there!

And I think clarity of mind can definitely come with practice. The first several classes I took, I had to remind myself to focus and stay in the moment. Yoga was more enjoyable when I did and soon after, I found it was second nature and I was automatically ‘focused’.

4 Jacqueline October 30, 2009

Since I started running last month I’ve been focusing on that so much. I really need to get some Yoga back in my life now. I could use the stretch after a run!

Thanks for reminding me!

5 Jolene October 30, 2009

I have never done yoga, but I really want to try it. I have a feeling I would get bored – as bad as that sounds!

6 Michelle October 30, 2009

I think that people don’t like yoga because they feel like it’s just stretching. Which is true. however, I love yoga because it demands that you stay focused and totally in tune with your body. It’s easy to run, cycle, swim without actually being invested in the activity. In order to hold poses you actually need too be in the moment. The beauty of yoga is it not only strengthens your body, but it strengthens your mind.

7 Alissa October 30, 2009

I consider myself a very active person. I workout 6 days a week and am a solid tennis player. I also have a background in ballet, gymnastics, and pilates, so i’m very flexible and pretty strong. I took a yoga class at my college about 3 years ago and got nothing out of it. (Thinking back on it, the teacher was terrible).

So I’ve always thought yoga was a joke, but after a recommendation from several friends, I tried an 8 class beginner series of Power Vinyasa yoga this summer. And WOW was it incredible–one of the best things that has ever happened to me. I recommend you take some sort of structured intro series where you can learn all the poses and learn to do them RIGHT.

The class was 1 hour and fifteen minutes. The beginning of the class consisted of the teacher explaining the poses as an assistant modeled them. Then as we did the poses, the assistants walked around the room and physically ease our bodies into the correct pose. It is so crucial that you do the poses correctly or you will not get anything out of it–or worse, you will hurt yourself. This has been the most challenging workout I have had in a long time! I have never sweat so much in my entire life, granted the room was 88 degrees. (a warm room is crucial as well).

Because I’m so flexible, I always thought downward dog was so boring… until I realized I was doing it wrong and it is so much more of a spine extension than a hamstring stretch!

I’m now back at college and am quite disappointed with the yoga classes. It is so important to good instructors… you must enroll in an intro series! And buy this book: Journey into Power by Baron Baptiste…it is very well-written and so inspiring. One of the chapters explains all of the poses.

8 Sarah @ The Foodie Diaries October 30, 2009

I’ve had a very similar experience with yoga, but I think I’m growing to love it. I have a very fidgety personality, too, and a VERY cluttered, constantly churning mind–so it’s definitely a challenge to shut off.. but I’m enjoying working on it :)

9 Taylor October 30, 2009

Honestly, for me, yoga really only works if I am in a class. Getting out of my own environment puts me into a different mindset, and it is easier for me to get into the moves and get my brain out of all the clutter. Have you ever tried a class, or just videos? I like being actually present with the instructor, I don’t know, it just changes things. You might want to try that! Yoga also isn’t about being really busy and having a total heart-pumping workout like a lot of people try to make it (although you definitely work your muscles). It’s about turning and twisting your organs and removing the static and toxic matter that builds up and finding a peace within.

10 K October 30, 2009

Keep it up with the stretching, it really does improve despite taking time. :) I used to have issues touching my toes standing up and now I can fold in half without feeling like my hamstrings are going to snap.
I like hearing about your yoga pursuits as I keep meaning to really try it out but never do it. So thanks for the updates and I look forward to seeing your progress with it.
-K

11 Janine October 30, 2009

Hey Angela,

I hate to disagree with Eric because he is always so right on everything else, its not always a good idea to challenge your body when you’re doing yoga. Just relax into each pose. Then when you are comfortable, just let go a little more. If you challenge or push, you may injure yourself. Does that make sense?

and sorry, but I so love downward dog! it feels great!

Keep it up – you will grow to love it.

12 Tamara October 30, 2009

Wait till you get past minute 25. Minute 30-45 is soooo tough!! Your legs/booty will be screaming for mercy. And near the end there’s a crazy ab workout thrown in. I did the entire program by myself and then started another round with hubby. I told hubby that yoga was the physically hardest of all the workouts and he laughed and said no way. Before the 90 minutes was up he was singing a different tune!

13 Cynthia October 30, 2009

I started yoga about 3 months ago and have only really done vinyasa because thats the one offered at my gym. At first it was really, really hard and i would constantly check the time to see how much longer the class was. I am not flexible at all and while I may have improved slightly, flexibility is still a challenge for me. I don’t go as consistently as I would like but it has gotten easier and I love it more every time I go. I finally learned to relax and get in the yoga zone. I hope to try hot yoga one of these days.

Btw, this is my first time commenting but I have been following your blog and wanted to tell you how much I love it! Your posts are very informative and you got me into lululemon! Congrats on your recent half marathon!

14 maria October 30, 2009

Focus on your breathing above all else. If a pose is difficult or you’re just not getting it, move into a pose you know and can do. It’s about the whole, not the little parts. :)

Also, downward facing dogs will get easier. I promise!!!

15 Marissa October 30, 2009

That is a great shade of blue on you! Yoga is hard!

16 Marina October 30, 2009

I started yoga few months ago, but a month ago I started to go to a studio, for some real power yoga. I love it! I was flexible before, but I can see improvement after every single class.After it, I’m so relaxed and peaceful.Just what I need after a long day.I also see some good changes on my body.So I’m in love with yoga all the way :)

17 Jen @ follow my bliss October 30, 2009

I threw my back out last summer. At the time, my workout regimen included regular cardio, lifting and pilates. But I knew my body needed something different. Even though I stretched, I was often sore.

After I threw my back out, I knew I needed a few months away from lifting. So I slowly introduced cardio back into my life after a few weeks of barely being able to walk. And then I slowly started introducing yoga. Over a year later, I’m madly in love with it.

It’s more spiritual for me than anything. But I love the workout also. It’s one of the hardest, most fulfilling things I’ve ever done. I can feel such a difference in my body. And it helps my mind and spirit. And I’m stronger than I’ve ever been.

I wrote a post about my love for hot yoga, and about hot yoga verses Birkam yoga, here: http://follow-my-bliss.com/2009/06/09/letting-my-ego-sweat/

18 Juicy Jessy October 30, 2009

I just started doing yoga yesterday! I will do a small review on my blog. It was a yoga for beginners course so I’ve learned a number of poses to start with. The downward facing dog is indeed challenging! The instructor of my video keeps repeating that it may be too difficult in the beginnening and maybe you are not able to hold on to the pose for the entire interval; but that’s ok. You just have to practice and you will get better in time. I think that’s the progression to look for in yoga, if you can’t do a certain pose for 30 seconds and in two weeks, you can? Well then you’re improving!

GOOD LUCK!!!

19 Kelly October 30, 2009

I really want to try the yoga P90x video! Looks good.

I am JUST like you with yoga. I am NOT flexible and yes I did terrible on flexibility in elementary school also…I think it was called the sit and reach, ugh! My biggest problem with yoga is that in most classes I just feel like I wasted an hour doing nothing at all. I’ve started going to a hot yoga class and that solved that problem. I leave so sweaty I think it’s a better work out than most cardio stuff I do.

One way that helps me see improvement is to do a certain time, and see how much easier it gets after awhile. If you don’t want to do a time though, I bet you’ll still notice the time you are able to do comfortably increasing. It definitely takes awhile with yoga but it’s worth it. I am still not even CLOSE to an expert!

20 Nicole October 30, 2009

I definitely agree with the other commenters about going to a yoga class as opposed to doing it at home. For some reason, when I’m at home, I feel like I need to clean something or look something up online, or I’m hungry, or some other thing that wouldn’t let my mind calm down. When I’m in a class, I’m able to concentrate. Also, it helps to have other people there in the class with you. You are not supposed to be concentrating on those other people, but it definitely helps when you don’t want to do a pose if others are doing it, then you want to too!

21 Emily Eats October 30, 2009

Hey Ange,
I do do yoga. I tip-toed in it for a while, and then once you linked to the yoga today site, I really got in to it (thank you for that!). I still use that site, and am thinking I might try yogadownload again, now I’ve seen the poses many times over (I found yogadownload too frustrating to begin with, as I didn’t know what I was really doing). The way I kept going was by noticing how easy and smoothly I was transitioning poses and how my mind became less focused on trying to stay in a pose and became just clearer – rested in a position.
I look forward to reading more about your yoga journey!

22 Emmanuelle October 30, 2009

Hi Angela,
I practice yoga almost on a daily basis and I am in love with it. I too have poor flexibility, or rather had, as it has definitely improved overtime. I used to hate downward dogs for the same reasons as you, but lately I have started enjoying them.
Yoga is not about performance, and you don’t have to force anything. More that doing a pose perfectly, it is the intention you set behind it that counts. Anyway with time you will notice the difference.
Yesterday for the first time I managed to do a pose I wasn’t able to do… but on one side only. It could be frustrating, but I said to myself that it was ok, it was already good to do it on one side, and if I keep practicing then I will be able to do it on the second side, no big deal :-) And I am the kind of girl that can get veeeery frustrated if I don’t do something perfectly the first time around, being able to let go and let it come is an achievement for me!
It will come with practice, again don’t force anything, be happy with what you CAN do :-)

23 Katie October 30, 2009

I confess it’s been a month since my last yoga class. I’m terrible no scratch that horrible. I can’t do foreward bends can’t reach the ole toes. Downward dog leaves me feeling shaky and sick my hammies are so tight and my arms so weak. Yet I do it because I do feel better when I do. I need to get back to class. I may spend half in child’s pose because I can’t go 45 minutes, but at least I’m trying!

24 Laura October 30, 2009

I’ve tried yoga. Really, really tried to give it a shot – classes, DVDs, more classes – and it just isn’t for me. For ages I thought I just wasn’t doing it right, or I needed to find a different type/teacher/environment, so I should keep trying, but it just never made me feel strong or connected or any of that. It left me feeling weak, achey in unusual ways, and defeated. I used to dance pretty seriously, so I know when my body is just tighter or less flexible than it should be, and that wasn’t it. Finally, a pilates instructor told me, “you know, for some people, it just doesn’t ever FEEL right – not everyone’s body is well-suited for yoga. that’s totally ok, there’s no reason to force something that doesn’t seem right.”

it was a little shocking. I had thought all along that I just wasn’t trying hard enough, wasn’t getting into it enough, wasn’t paying enough attention, when really, it’s just not for me. my body doesn’t like it. I LOVE stretching, but it’s pretty run of the mill dance and grade school gym class stretches done thouroughly that make me feel best; and I do love pilates, as far as feeling centered and connected to my muscles and all of their potential! I love how different it feels from anything else, how important breathing is, how challenging it is to the muscles that never get any play, and how clearly you can see progress doing the basics (one day it’s impossible, a few later you’re halfway there). But yoga? Nope. My wrists, elbows, hips, knees, shoulders, and neck have all thanked me for finally choosing to let go of that dream. I think that it was easy for me to mistake discomfort for challenge; I figured it would feel better eventually, I just had to get better at it. Truth is, even when something’s hard, you can still tell when it FEELS GOOD to you, and to me, yoga just doesn’t. Sadly. Maybe someday.

I hope it makes your body sing, though! Looking forward to seeing how it goes. :)

25 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 30, 2009

Downward dog was SO hard for me when I first started, and I was a dancer! It will get easier, just keep up with it!

26 Sayer October 30, 2009

Hi Angela,

I have recently picked up yoga again after months of trying to follow along with free podcasts at home. This did not work for me, and intrinsic motivation was lacking, so I signed up for some classes.

Even though they can be pricey, taking 1-2 classes per week has made all the difference. Each class is unique, the instructor can adjust individual posture problems, and I am receiving (however much my mind resists) the full yoga experience… more than just the poses, there is a focus on the mind and spirituality.

Anyway, one of the things I have heard from various instructors is–only go as far as you can with each pose. If you feel a stretch, you are getting the same benefits as someone who is able to touch their toes with straight legs, etc. We also use blocks–if you are doing forward bend and your hands aren’t able to balance on the ground with straight legs, you should position blocks for your hands to create balance between the weight on your hands and the weight on your feet. Does that make sense? Hard to explain.

In downward dog, most of my weight was on my hands leading to wrist pain and fatigue. But, if you send your hips toward the ceiling and think about balancing weight between your hands and feet, it helps a lot!

27 Katy @ These Beautiful Feet October 30, 2009

I am actually going to my second yoga class in a couple hours. I was nervous the first time and I am nervous again! But it’s great because the point isn’t to force yourself.

They tell us “If you want to force yourself then you came to the wrong place, you can force yourself somewhere else” and they encourage us to rest in child’s pose whenever we feel like our breathing is getting to heavy or we are NOT breathing and that it takes more courage to rest then force yourself into a pose. It’s very helpful.

I just feel so great after it that makes it all worth it! Give it another shot! I think it can do amazing things. I hear it can improve your running even when not running as much.

28 Susan October 30, 2009

I remember reading some of your old yoga posts and being right there with you! I’d only done videos at home, hated downward dog, and in all just felt like I was “missing” something about it.

Then I started taking Iyengar classes at my campus gym. There are no flows in Iyengar. It’s static poses that you hold for what feels like a very long time! The instructor is very “hands-on” and will come right up to you and adjust you. I left those classes feeling as if there wasn’t a muscle in my body that didn’t get stretched to its limits.

Those classes made me realize that for me, yoga isn’t a “workout.” It’s about doing something that’s good for my mind and body. So no hot yoga, or flow after flow (can’t stand sun salutations!). I like to go to classes that are very laid-back and calming, and that’s where I’ve been able to find my “yoga-zone.”

Just keep experimenting! I think I remember you mentioning the high price of yoga in your area, but in my experience, the classes are really worth it!

29 Red Head, Yellow Dog October 30, 2009

Hey! I know this might sound silly..but don’t try to fight the thoughts that you have when you are trying to quiet them. Acknowledge that they are there and then try to let them go (deeeep exhaling breath and visualize them leaving you) The best thing for me is to take deep cleansing breaths and to concentrate on my breathing. How does the breathing make me feel? How does my body feel?
My mom has practiced meditation & yoga for as long as I can remember so I have to give her credit for all these tips :)

30 Kasey (Fit For Wellness) October 30, 2009

I danced for 18 years so the flexibility is not a problem for me. I struggle with staying focused because my mind wanders!

31 Paige @ Running Around Normal October 30, 2009

I’ve been doing yoga this week, too! From yogadownload.com I love it! I’ve just been doing the free 20 minute sessions, but there are longer ones you can buy too. And it comes with a pose print out. I light a few candles, and go at it!

32 carolinebee October 30, 2009

I love p90x!!! I think Tony is one of the least annoying video instructors :) And how hardcore is that black guy in the yoga!?? haha Tony always oohs and ahhs over him

33 MarathonVal October 30, 2009

When you said that you feel like you suck, that comment reminded me of a recent experience I had… I’m relatively new to yoga myself, and the last class I attended – not at a fancy yoga studio, but just a free class at my gym – the yoga instructor came over to whispered “I feel like you are ignoring everything I say!!” in an angry voice…. this was the first 5 minutes of class, so I couldn’t have been doing THAT badly. Either way, it really turned me off and I’m actually not sure I want to go back to her class, which is unfortunate. But, rest assured that you are not the only one that struggles and feels like a beginner!

Have a great day! :)

34 Beki October 30, 2009

I took yoga as a P.E. in college and I loved it. I really really sucked at it in the beginning, but by the end of the semester i could do all the moves that the instructor demonstrated. I left everyday feeling relaxed, calm and strong. You wouldn’t think that yoga would help strengthen you, but it did me. It just takes time so don’t give up.

35 leslie October 30, 2009

i am so, so excited that you are enjoying yoga!

i haaaated down dogs in the beginning. coming from running, my upper body strength was never good, and between all the down dogs, planks, and chaturangas, i thought i’d never improve. but you will see improvements if you keep at it. yoga isn’t like running in that you can go out and say, “today i’m going to do x miles.” but you can say, “i’m going to do x class, and see what happens.’ you’ll be in the middle of a class, and all of a sudden you’ll start to feel strong in the poses, or you’ll go deeper into a stretch than you thought you could, or you’ll make it through a flow where you might have needed a break before. it has its rewards too. :)

i also think you’re doing the right thing by taking it slow and in short bursts. you have the most balanced approach to exercise! i’d also totally recommend the 20 minute classes from yoga download – it might feel nice to feel like you can make it through an entire class, rather than having this long class looming in front of you when you’re just starting out.

36 kristen October 30, 2009

I started doing yoga with my mother. It was weird to go to a class and see that my mum was more flexible than I was… Even as a little girl in ballet class, I had tight hamstrings and was the least flexible kid in the bunch.

I’ve never thought of yoga as something you can “suck at”. Some parts of my body are more “open” (like my hips…i can do the fire log pose like there is no tomorrow…) and some are wound up like springs (i share your dislike for down dog…my hamstrings hate it). I just go with what my body does and can do and try to get the tight parts to open up a bit. One of my favourite yoga teachers always says “listen to your body and go with what it is telling you TODAY. some days you will be more open and more balanced than others. go with what you are feeling today, not with what you THINK you should be able to do”

I’ve now been doing yoga for 6 or 7 years and have found that I still really hate some poses, but that I’m slowly finding that although I hate them, they are becoming more “available” to me and I see their function in stretching me out rather than causing me pain and frustration.

37 Sara October 30, 2009

In one of my yoga classes, my teacher told me to think of your thoughts as arrows being sent away from your mind. That has always stuck with me, and makes me relax every time.

38 Casey October 30, 2009

Hi Ange,

Firstly, congrats on starting yoga and committing to it – that’s awesome! I am no yogi in the sense that I am not overly flexible, balanced or even just good at it, but I do know that when you start to focus on breathing as your first focus, the other parts of yoga tend to fall into place. Sure it can take time to get more flexible and move deeply into postures and build strength, but if you get the breathing sorted, it becomes meditative, and your mind becomes controlled and calm and centered and the body follows. Try it! :)

Have fun!

Casey x

39 Cynthia (It All Changes) October 30, 2009

I love yoga. I never did it before my back injury. But when I first strated having problems. my doctor suggested it might ease the pain a bit. I fell in love. And after surgery I was advised to do it regularly because it would keep my hips loose since I have a fused lower spine. I try to do it at least 3 times a week to just enjoy it.

As for zoning out you just need to enjoy it and do it. Sometimes relaxing music can really help but I don’t know if you can do it with the music on the dvd. Also you will get more flexible as you do it. Downward dogs are some of my favorites.

Also try to find a studio near you who has community classes. They usually have a low fee and you can enjoy learning from someone who can help correct your form.

Do you know if you can purchase just the P90X yoga dvd. I don’t know if i can do the entire thing but I love a good yoga DVD.

40 Mary October 30, 2009

You may want to try pilates. It is great for flexabilty, but you move around more than with yoga, which helps with the fidgety personality. Once you’ve done pilates a few times, you’ll notice the increased flexability. Then, try yoga again and you’ll get more out of it because you’ll be able to do more of the poses. Then, instead of worrying about not being flexable enough, you’ll be able to relax, clear your mind, and enjoy it more. At least, that’s what worked for me.

Btw, I’m new to your blog. You’re awesome!!

41 Chelsa October 30, 2009

Stick with it. Once you fall in love with yoga, there is no turning back. I normally have one day of strenuous exercise like running/squats/lunges/weights and then the next day recover with yoga and nothing else. I know you like to dive in to one activity at a time but switching it from day to day really works wonders. Good luck!

42 Janna (Just Flourishing) October 30, 2009

Sometimes I find it hard to concentrate in yoga as well. All I want to do is get out of the pose!

It’s easier said that done to “free your mind of all clutter”. I tend to focus on my breathing. Literally, I just focus on BREATHE IN. BREATHE OUT. Deep breaths.

A lot of people above have said this… and it does work. And I think if you practice more consistently it becomes much easier.

43 Marcia October 30, 2009

I too have a lack of focus and I’m fidgety. And I like a concrete “goal”.

But I *love* yoga. I’ve only been doing it once/week for a few weeks, and I’m doing yoga with a rope. http://www.russayog.com

It really forces you to clear your mind. I cannot keep my focus and balance without doing that. So it’s been a HUGE stress reliever. My work stress has been over the top these last two months, and it’s a miracle that I haven’t come down sick with that and training for my half.

I credit yoga, sleep, and a good diet.

44 ReinventingSandyB October 30, 2009

Hi Angela, nice to hear you’re back on the mat! I first tried yoga when I was 16. I hated it. “Too slow!” I thought. Well, a few years later, while I was just starting out my fitness career, I decided to give yoga another try. This time, it stuck. I found the right class for me, with the right teacher (which really makes a difference). Yoga inspired me so much that I decided to teach it. And I still do today. The biggest issue people will face (and then ultimately dump yoga because of) is putting pressure on the themselves to be all “zen” or whatever. Not so. When people say to me ,”Well, I can’t do yoga.. I’m not flexible or focused enough..” I say, “You don’t have to be either of those to come to yoga. With practice, yoga will bring those great things to you.”

You probably already know this, but all Lululemons have FREE yoga on Sunday mornings. If you’re into doing a “live” class, give it a try! I teach one in Mississauga every now and again.

All the best,
sandyb

45 angela October 30, 2009

Hey there!

I actually am trying to enjoy yoga myself! I just wrote a post about it the other day (http://wp.me/pG2wv-2A). I find it extremely hard because I am so tight. I have P90X and really like Tony’s yoga because it really does feel like a workout. I have done the full 1.5 hour workout a couple of times and find it a bit long, so I am now just doing it for an hour. I actually just started using my gym’s yoga classes. Oy! It does hurt and I can hardly lift my legs, but I know that it is getting me those deep stretches that my body needs since all I usually do is run, cycle, and lift. Good luck!!!

46 angela October 30, 2009

oops, my link above didn’t work. Here you go! http://2bahealthyfit.com/2009/10/28/am-i-limber-yet/

47 Mellissa October 30, 2009

I just started doing yoga and it is the only thing in which I can completely turn out my mind. The 60 minutes seems to go by very quick and I truly enjoy it.

I am finding it a good compliment to my weight lifting and am hoping to see some improved flexibility.

48 Beth @ DiningAndDishing October 30, 2009

Well good for you for trying something new! I tried to get into yoga a while back – my complaint is I like a good sweaty work-out and yoga doesn’t do the trick for me (well, at least the level I’m at!) I am trying to give it more of a chance lately though. Stretching is something I should do more often.

49 christie @ honoring health October 30, 2009

Yoga is part of my soul and it has made me the person that I am today. I am currently enrolled in yoga teacher training and can not wait to spread my love and knowledge of yoga with anyone who wants to learn. It makes me so sad to read peoples comments that say yoga isn’t for them or that yoga is just a bunch of stretching. Yoga is so much more than that.

Yoga is not about clearing your mind. It is about being in the present moment. Even the oldest, wisest yogi’s have thoughts that pop up. The important thing is to just acknowledge them and let them go. Baron Baptiste says that when the pose becomes challenging, that is when the yoga begins. That is when it is time to just breathe and be with yourself. That is when you uncover your truth and allow in change. My favorite quote is “Be now here or be nowhere” and it applies to so much on and off the mat.

I think that for beginners, it is important to get into lots of classes and explore what you like. Find teachers that you connect with. I am a total type A personality and find that power, anusara or vinyasa suit me best. They are physically challenging, and for me, they force me to be in the present moment. Some students are suited more for slower paces like hatha, hatha flow or yin.

Learning proper alignment and “being lazy” in the poses is important in preventing injury. It is true that your downward facing dog is not going to look like my downward facing dog because we have different bodies but it important to have proper alignment. And focusing on that alignment along with your breathe with allow you to be present and no longer be attached to the thoughts that WILL come into your mind.

Peace and namaste, keep glowing :)

50 Madelin @ What is for breakfast? October 30, 2009

Stick with the Downward Dogs Ange – they really are amazing! Especially for runners. I find them the absolute best way to stretch my calves after running. Just pull each knee forward and press out the opposite leg for a few seconds, so good! I usually do them for a few minutes before bed each night :).

51 christie @ honoring health October 30, 2009

that should say “not being lazy”…ooops

52 Amy October 30, 2009

P90X Yoga is AMAZING if you ask me! I’ve done yoga videos in the past and never sweated the way I do with P90. I feel awesome when I get done…actually have about the same endorphin rush as I do after a run. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I do it once a week at least. For a while I was doing all of the P90X plan, but the time requirements were too demanding for me…maybe when I’m done with school full time, work full time, 3 little kids and a husband all at the same time, I can give it another try. I was seeing awesome results, but just could sustain the intensity…which also made me require more sleep for muscle repair – yeah, that didn’t happen. Ok, rambling now on your post. Thanks for the review! Maybe I love it so much because flexibility was the only thing in P.E. that I could actually do better than anyone else in the school…only thing I could win a presidential physical fitness award for.

53 Katy October 30, 2009

My husband and I did the entire P90X program (I reviewed it on my blog) and while I didn’t love the yoga at first (so long!!!) I ended up really enjoying the DVDs and am still using it now, even after the program!

I’ve learned to turn the commentary off, though, and just listen to Tony Horton’s cues. He’s okay, but after 3 months, his shtick gets old!

Glad you’re liking it — ever consider doing the whole thing?

54 Rachel October 30, 2009

I love yoga. I don’t love the weirdness of it sometimes. You know what I mean. I took one yoga class at 24 hour fitness but do the yogadownloads at home. I love that I can do them at home in the comfort of my own home. I don’t have to worry about anyone else but me. I don’t know that I would enjoy a studio…I’m intimidated by them so that alone isn’t a good thing. I love it so much because I instantly feel more relaxed and leveled. I’m so glad you’re giving it another shot.

55 heather dawn October 30, 2009

I love Bikram Yoga (heat yoga). I have never really practiced any other type of yoga. I love Bikram because on top of relaxing and stretching your muscles, you get a cardiovascular workout as well. Im the type of person that has to sweat to feel like I got a great workout! It also has so many medical benefits. I gravitate more towards things like pilates because I was a dancer.

Best advise: Focus on your breathing. Your thoughts will seem to just float away.

56 Nikki T October 30, 2009

I started taking a yoga class in Sept as I thought it might help with my breathing and flexibility, which in turn would help make me a better runner…the instructor teaches Astanga yoga.
I don’t mind going to the class, but like you said, I struggle a bit because I feel like I suck at it! I’m not a good breather and I’m definately not flexible, so these are things that I’m trying to focus on in the yoga class. I also have trouble with the ‘zoning out’ part too…
So, all in all, I’m not in love with yoga yet, but I’m not giving up!

57 Ally October 30, 2009

I did yoga on and off in middle school and high school and a little bit in college, but, not much at all. I started taking classes more regularly last year and then during the spring, when I really started running, yoga has become a staple in my life. I find that it really helps my running, helps me to losen up in areas I wasn’t even aware were tight, helps me to relax, refocus and just do something for me. I didn’t go to yoga for 2 weeks and went this last Wednesay–whooie, I couldn’t believe how much I missed it. Yes, it’s challening, and it’s often hard for me to be in the moment, rather than fretting about what I am missing out on at the office, etc, but, for me, it’s a great addition to my running.

58 Anna October 30, 2009

I really do not enjoy yoga–I have trouble with the clearing your mind part and always seem to focus on how hungry I am! :) My husband and I did P90X this summer, and I found myself dreading the 90 minute yoga days. But, I definitely could feel it making a difference in the end. I’m NOT flexible either, but by the 3rd time or so of the P90X yoga I really could do more of the poses/stretches and my form got better. I’ve been thinking about starting it back up once a week or so. And also, I like the end of the video because he does more balance/coordination/stretching moves.

59 Jil October 30, 2009

Love the fact that Sketchie snuck into your first picture. haha :) I’m such a novice to yoga…it’s intimidating! I think I might try a few videos, but there are some “community classes” around here that are pretty cheap that I’m looking to try out.

60 Jessie (Vegan-minded) October 30, 2009

I have been doing P90X yoga for the past month, and I am slowly growing to enjoy it more and more each time. The first time I did it, I could barely do any of the moves, but now I can do quite a few of them. I agree, it does seem like way too many downward dogs, but once you get past them, the rest it focuses on balance poses which are more interesting. I have never really practiced yoga before, so I find the entire 90 minutes to be very challenging. All I keep thinking is to go through the motions to the best of my ability and I will eventually get better!

61 Molly @thevegandorm October 30, 2009

I find it helps if I really concentrate on my breathing…if my mind says “iiinnn, oouuut” along with my breathing, it lets my mind do something without actually doing anything, if that makes sense.

62 Andrea@WellnessNotes October 30, 2009

I used to take yoga classes every week and felt self-conscious for quite some time since I didn’t feel I was “as good as the others.” I know that’s totally not what yoga is about, but it took me quite some time to let go of those thoughts… But after a while I was able to be present and in the moment and let go of everything else. I haven’t taken yoga classes for a while since it’s hard to fit them into my schedule, but I do some on my own. It always calms me down…

I love the blue jacket on you; awesome blue on you! :)

63 Emily Eats and Exercises October 30, 2009

I do really WANT to like yoga. I haven’t gotten there yet but I do see the benefit – maybe I’ll get back to taking some classes…
I’m glad you said your arms were sore from the downward dogs – that always happens to me and yet in class it is used as sort of a “break” pose. Something to work on I guess.

64 Linds October 30, 2009

Well after a few months of lurking, I wanted to add my 2 cents – lol! I have been practising yoga on and off for about 8 years and the one thing I have noticed is I always seem drawn back to it when I really need to tune in and really focus on my feelings, usually after a period of not listening to that inner voice and sometimes even purposely ignoring it. The great thing about yoga (even though it is not always for everyone) is that there are so many types. You can get a hard workout, a great stretch, build up a sweat or find restoration and healing all depending on the style you practice. I have even recently found a class for runners which works of stretching runner specific muscles and works on strengthing runner’s typical muscle inbalances. Go figure!

65 Kristy October 30, 2009

I have taken a few classes that I really enjoyed. Breathing is a huge element to me being successful in class. Focus on your breaths and let them do some of the work. It is ease some tension and give you something to focus on. Breathing is UNDERRATED! Hope this helps :-)

66 Laura @ Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness October 30, 2009

I am terrible at down dogs, too! My hamstrings are so tight, I simply can’t get them to NOT buckle in that pose. It’s something I am working on as well!

Your post has me doing some poses in my empty office :-D The coworkers are both out today, so it’s perfect!
Have a great afternoon!

67 Amanda October 30, 2009

I first tried yoga in college when I was seeing a therapist for body image/disordered eating issues. She suggested it as a way to focus and appreciate my body for what it could do. I really started to love it, and now I take classes at a studio in my town.

More than anything, yoga has been SUCH a learning experience for me. If your mind is wandering to what you’ll make for dinner, how stressful work was, or how your stomach must be sticking out … it is impossible to hold the poses. It is a challenge each and every time to stay present and “be on the mat”, not elsewhere. It REALLY helps to focus on your breath. Breathe loudly and if you have to, think “I am breathing in, I am breathing out … ”

Also, know that slowly but surely you will become more flexible. It does take time, so just OBSERVE where you are at the present and don’t push it! Yoga is so great for you, regardless of how far you can go into each pose!!

68 Organic Ashley October 30, 2009

I am in love with yoga and have been for the past two years.
Something that helps me close off from everything else and just listen to my body is focusing on something else usually my breath or the way part of my body feels during a certain pose. Usually I do both. Try and “breathe” in the area that is feeling the stretch. You should feel the stretch without panicking or being judgmental.
It takes time but take a look at different forms of yoga. I cant stand yin yoga where you sit and hold poses all the time.
I LOVE flow or ashtanga yoga where your body is constantly moving with my breath. It feels so graceful and beautiful like I am dancing.
For me yoga is powerful because I do see immediate results. As one of my symptoms of my digestive issues is extreme bloating. After yoga I feel relief from this and like my digestive system is actually working.
It’s amazing! I hope you can continue your practice and find what works for you.

69 Kathy October 30, 2009

Ok so I have actually done the entire P90X yoga and I hate every minute of it. My husband and I have just completed the entire 90 days of P90X (we completed P90 prior to this so we LOVE Tony). The yoga was the worst work out. It is 92 minutes of pure hell. the first 40ish minutes is all updog/downdog vinyasa things..those were enough to kill me. The rest isn’t bad until you get to the yoga belly 7…those also suck. I am much better at the balance poses.

In the end we did the yoga each week just as we were scheduled to and I ded get better, but I never liked it.

The rest of the program, while the hardest workout I have ever completed, was awesome. I am stronger and I am sure that I am more flexible because of the yoga that I have EVER been. So a big thanks to my TONY for being there at 5 am for me.

70 Small Town Runner October 30, 2009

I took a weekly yoga class a few years ago, for about 18 months. I really liked it, but it was getting too expensive and my schedule was getting too busy to have one more commitment, so the yoga class had to go. I liked doing it with an instructor because she really personalized everything, giving you something more challenging if it was easy, or making it easier if you were struggling. I liked that she was there to make sure we were doing the pose correctly — this was important to me because I wanted to be stretching/strengthening the muscles the pose was intended for. I also really liked taking the class because that was an hour where I wouldn’t be distracted to do something else. I’m afraid if I tried to do it at home, I would be thinking about the laundry that I needed to fold, the floor I needed to mop, etc. The class allowed me to totally get away from the house and JUST do yoga.

I’d like to do it again, but still feel overwhelmed with my current life schedule.

71 Anne P October 30, 2009

I just started doing yoga when i was living in Prague last year. I am like you – mega unflexible and SUPER fidgety, but I’m getting to the point now where I’m liking it. Just concentrate on how the stretches feel. It’s also a great toner for arms and shoulders! I used to hate down dog but now I really like it – it’s such a great feeling leg stretch.

Enjoy!

72 Jessica October 30, 2009

My mind was always all over the place too and until I found that focus I didn’t really see many improvements in my practice. The mind is a huge part of yoga. For me, when I find my mind wandering, I revert back to my mantra. I’ve had lots of different yoga teachers and many of them have taught me different mantras – the point is to say the phrase (in your head) with your breathing. For me though, simplicity is best and my mantra is peace-out. On every breath in, in my head, I say the word ‘peace’ really slow and really long. On every breath out, in my head, I say the word ‘out’. If I’m having an especially hard time concentrating then on each breath in I think about peace entering my body – happy people, my family, children laughing, etc. On every breath out, I think about all the negative thoughts leaving my body. Hope this helps! I know it’s made a huge difference in my practice.

73 Carolyn October 30, 2009

I love how they call Down Dogs a rest pose. I hate them, too!! P.S. I’m giving away two breast cancer awareness prize packs on my blog: http://lovinlosing.com/.

74 Cait October 30, 2009

“I could see enjoying this pose if I was flexible, but it really is no fun when you aren’t.” omg YES! I hate downward dogs as well, because i am so crazy not flexible. I’m trying to keep at it though.

For those of you who don’t have a ton of time and still want to get in a bit of yoga, I highly recommend Gaiam’s “AM/PM Yoga” DVD. I try to do the AM yoga set everyday, its about 20 minutes long, and its just a nice way to get your energy up and ready for the day. And as a student, who barely gets any sleep due to schoolwork, this is somewhat manageable for me.

With regards to clearing your mind, my yoga teacher once told me to “look for the spaces between the thoughts.” I found this to be extremely helpful, because i have a hard time turning my mind off. So instead of trying to stop it completely, find the spaces in between two thoughts, and focus on that for as long as you can.

75 ashley (sweet & natural) October 30, 2009

I am just like you. Not flexible and terrible at focusing during yoga! I’ve been doing it consistently (2-3 times/week; usually 25 minutes/time, but sometimes full classes) for about a year and have definitely gotten better, but I don’t think I do it enough to see extreme improvements – like being able to actually get my heels to the ground during down dog! Even though I still struggle with silencing my mind, I never finish a yoga session without thinking I just did something great for my body and myself. :-)

76 Haleigh October 30, 2009

‘Zoning’ yourself out during your yoga session comes with practice. When I first started yoga, I kept looking out the window, watching other people, thinking of what I wanted to cook for dinner, etc.. but all of the sudden something clicked when the instructor was talking and my mind is always set on yoga. It isn’t hard, it will just come to you :) yay for yoga!!

77 Brynne October 30, 2009

I feel the same way about yoga – I feel like there’s nothing to work towards, no goal to set. But I’ve never been flexible at all .. or balanced .. or able to relax my mind. So I try to work towards that bunch of little goals each time I do yoga.

78 Amanda October 30, 2009

Don’t worry about not ‘mastering’ yoga. Eric is right! If you feel the stretch you are supposed to be feeling then you are doing it right! Just give it time : )

79 JavaChick October 30, 2009

When I first started doing yoga I was having issues with my “mouse arm” and I found the downward facing dog (or any pose that had me putting my hands flat on the floor) really difficult. It did get better and I will say that there is some disadvantage to doing it on your own rather than going to classes because your form and how you distribute your weight can make a difference.

As for progress and learning to focus – it comes. I do still sometimes have sessions where my focus is not all that it should be, but I try to concentrate on what I’m doing – in that respect I find more challenging workouts to be better because you have to pay attention to what you are doing.

For progress measures – your strength and flexibility will gradually increase. I remember when I first started learning Sun Salutations. The instructor looked so graceful, moving from pose to pose and I felt so awkward and jerky trying to keep up. I thought I would never get it. Then suddenly one day I was just there and it all started flowing. It felt so good!

Hang in there – it’s worth it. :)

80 Marci October 30, 2009

I too, am like you and not very flexible. That said, I love yoga. I really recommend if you find time to go to a studio nearby and take classes. Its just so much more rewarding since you get the energy from the other people in the room. My favourite yoga (and I’ve tried em all) is hot yoga. I go to the Moska Yoga studio.. its wonderful .. very zen/spa like atmosphere and they have chains in Ontario so check out their website. http://www.moskayoga.com

81 Marci October 30, 2009

Ooops I gave you the wrong URL, try

PS – I went to Fresh when I was in TO last w.e and LOVED it! Thanks for the write up, any other vegan places you know of?

82 Marci October 30, 2009

This is getting embarrasing.. THIS is the URL

83 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope October 30, 2009

I just ADORE yoga! Seriously, it has such amazing mental and physical benefits for me personally. My favorite is yogadownload.com, but I also have a few DVDs and podcasts I enjoy. I never schedule a yoga practice, and instead do one whenever I feel in the mood. It’s usually about every other day, and I always am glad I take the time! Thanks for the review on the DVD Angela!

xxoo
Heather

84 Diana October 30, 2009

I’m actually really curious about yoga and will probably try it really soon. :)

85 Bec October 30, 2009

it will come with time, I have been practising on and off since grade 7 so almost 10 years and the focus comes the more you practise and it really helps with my everyday life too! Also downward dogs can be challenging for long distance runners but its a great stretch to loosen up your hamstrings

86 Emily October 30, 2009

Ange, Tomorrow I am going to send Ms. Alex Kelly a free yoga pass for you! Its at an amazing studio in central Toronto called 889 Yonge. Enjoy!

87 Coco October 30, 2009

yoga rocks…
i have been to the Yoga Show in London today..and it was amazing
I went to Simon Low’s Yin Yoga workshop and it was fanatastic xxx

88 Julie October 30, 2009

I love how men somehow always get to the point of the matter. Eric’s comment was spectacular!

89 Lisa October 30, 2009

Hi! Came out of lurking to comment because I was in exactly the same situation as you only one year ago. Struggling and feeling like I was getting nowhere.
I didn’t even want to do yoga initially. I was looking for cardio workouts on the exercise channel but these stupid yoga classes seemed to be on whenever I had time to work out so I ended up grudgingly doing one or two. At first I hated down-dog…..it drove me crazy! All I kept wondering was “When is this over! Stop talking instructor! I want to come down now!” It was hard. And I am also a very fidgety person…..I can’t watch a movie without simultaneously reading some blogs and leafing through a magazine so I get the lack of focus thing:) However I will say that maybe 2 weeks in of everyday practice everything started to be easier and now I genuinely think of down-dog as a rest pose….It will happen even if you don’t believe it now. I started doing some of the Yoga Today classes which are great and then when I felt ready started to do one class a week with a really good ashtanga style teacher. Now its all the exercise I do! My main practice is at home but I have to say that its my class that gives me the tools to have that home practice. There is nothing like a good teacher. As for results…..this is my first year since the age of 14 where I have not had to have time off work coupled with lots of muscle relaxants and NSAIDs for back problems.
A really good way to give yourself a goal and start a great habit is to do a 30 day challenge of practicing at least 15 minutes every day. I did this in January of this year and it really gave me so much momentum. Best January ever physically and mentally. Wow! This is long!

90 OSGMOM October 30, 2009

Hey Ange, I am just catching up the last two days of posts. Thanks so much for your kind Birthday words, I’m sure you aren’t surprised that it brought the tears to my eyes. Also, I really appreciated all of the very nice HBD wishes from your readers. I was surprised to find out so many of them share my birthday. We are enjoying our time in Tahiti. I also appreciated the suggestion from one of your readers about the restaurant to go to in Bora Bora — can’t wait! I am having difficulty with my email account, but have sent you an email via John’s email.

91 Caitlin@TheTwentyFifthYear October 30, 2009

I have been practicing Baptiste yoga on and off for a year and I STILL loathe downward facing dog until I get nice and loose – which doesn’t take long practicing in 100 degrees. But you’re right – focus on your body and what it’s doing!

92 Allison October 30, 2009

Eric is totally right! I’ve found that every class is a little bit different, there are tons of variations for each pose, but every single yoga teacher I know says that doing the full expression of the pose isn’t really important. Allowing your body to go as far as it can, without sacrificing the proper alignment, is key.

And I’m the worst at calming my mind and letting go of everything on the yoga mat. I used to get so mad at myself because I felt like I was doing something wrong when my mind wandered during a yoga class. But just like you’re patient with your body as it gets more flexible, you’ve gotta be patient with your mind as it (much more slowly, in my experience) learns to slow down and let things go. You’ve got the right attitude already; just keep reminding yourself to be patient and as long as you’re doing your best, you’re doing enough.

93 Brittany October 30, 2009

I have been doing yoga on and off for over 3 years now and I like it but like you, I’ve never REALLY gotten into it. It’s hard for me to remove all the thoughts from my head while practicing. I will say that my arms are always so sore the day after yoga. It’s a great strength training exercise for me.

PS Is your cat a leopard!?!?

94 Sarah Walnuts October 30, 2009

I first started yoga in August! I went right into hot yoga which to this day, I can’t think of any other time I walked out of the gym or any thing else for that matter feeling so refreshed and rejuvenated. Several weeks in I was going strong and noticed an improvement in my flexibility. I was in a car accident in Jan ’09 and sprained my pelvis, it felt good to give everything a great, big deep stretch! Then disaster struck — I was in a softball tournament in mid-September and I took a line drive to my knee! I haven’t gone back to yoga yet. I’m just not feeling that motivated. I’m more concerned about getting my knee back to normal and being able to do 30 mins on the treadmill without it hurting my knee the next day. If you have any ideas for rehabbing a bad knee I’d love to hear from you.

Good luck with the yoga though, I really recommend the hot yoga I found it easiest to let go of my inner thoughts and just mindlessly do the poses.

95 Whole Body Love October 30, 2009

I just started yoga a few months ago and I love it. I think the mentality that is acheived during your yoga practice come with time and …well, practice ;)

96 chipped nails & all October 30, 2009

I think it’s important for beginner yogi’s to attend group classes (hello college!) or seek private sessions to assist in learning the basics of each pose. As you begin to gain knowledge about the different poses and yoga in general, I think there comes a shift in your yoga practice; mine happened to go from physical to mental fitness.

I think too many beginner’s try to emulate those more experienced in group classes, which is why I recommend solo practice with adequate knowledge after a few group sessions. I’ve found that I’ve been able to increase my “mental” fitness through yoga when I practice solo. The key for me was to stop comparing myself to others in class or in the videos and just do my own thang! Now, when I DO go to group classes, I find I’m usually one of the more advanced ones there….all because I stopped the self-doubting thoughts and was then able to expand my yoga practice ten-fold.

97 Hangry Pants October 31, 2009

A few tips:
(1) Acknowledge the thoughts and then move on.
(2) Count your breaths instead.
(3) A teacher once told me if you have thoughts about other people, then it’s ok. If you have thoughts about what you need to do later or how big your butt is, not okay.

98 Marianne November 7, 2009

I’ve been wanting to get into yoga as well, and this sounds like it might be a good video, but do you know if it’s only available as part of the whole P90X system?

And your flexibility will get there :)

99 p90x July 11, 2010

Creating your own Routines With P90X

There are various diverse exercises to take into account if you’re searching to acquire back into shape. The significant factor, nevertheless, is usually to come across an exercise that may be fun for you. That method you usually are not inclined to quit immediately after only a couple weeks. Acquiring a total function that keeps your pleased is what will see your accomplishment. You may well decide to look at out distinct plans that are available, such as the p90x workout programs, or you may make a decision to build a personalized broadcast on your special. If that’s the circumstance, here are a couple of points and tricks to making your individual workout and eating plan routine as useful since the p90x dvd.

Primary issue would be to discover an work out that you simply get pleasure from. When you can’t think of just one exercise, that you are usually welcome to alter factors up on a everyday basis. Maybe you think like running a single evening, but you favor biking or swimming on yet another morning. There exists no rule that says you must stick with a person physical exercise. Continue to keep your system and your thoughts thinking by incorporating distinct tactics into your regime.

The long term plan of execution is your diet program. Uncover a balance and nutritional eating habits by uttering which has a dietitian. The dietitian can enable you to discover what your total pounds target really should be by forecasting your height using your age, sex and background. Then your nutritionist can assistance you devise a project that could feed the body the nutrients it demands to shed weight. As an alternative to exercising against your system, your nutritionist can help you operate with your physique when it comes to food. Most dieticians advocate a eating habits which is state-of-the-art in protein and fiber and reduced in carbs and sugar.

Ultimately, the trick of your own routine is sticking to it. While it may possibly be challenging at initial, you must beat for your regimen as you’ve got laid it forth. For extra enhance, attempt working out which has a friend or expecting your spouse to join you inside your system.

100 Jennifer September 13, 2015

Hello!

Yoga has always been my go-to exercise regime to help flexibility, tone muscles and maintain my mental health! Although I enjoy yoga, I don’t find the cost of a studio membership very affordable and it doesn’t work well with my shift-work schedule.

My favourite website to use is called Do Yoga With Me which features local yoga instructors and is filmed in *beautiful* Victoria and Vanocuver, B.C. ALSO!, did I mention that it’s COMPLETELY FREE !!!! :D There is absolutely everything on this website from yoga videos for all levels of experience to guided meditations and videos explaining poses and breathing techniques. It’s a FANTASTIC website and I cannot praise it enough. I IMPLORE you to check it out!!! :D

Hope you like it!