Glo-Out 360!

coffeeee copy

As part of Oh She Glows 1-year Anniversary Blogiversary on Halloween, Glo Bakery is having a Glo-Out sale!

Exactly 360 days ago today I started Oh She Glows.

The official release of the new EMPOWER bar is here in this delicious Chocolate & Coffee Lovers variety pack! 20% off only while quantities last.

The new Empower bars are also 10% off if you want a box all on their own.

~~~~

Remember this Operation Beautiful note I stuck on my back before my half marathon??

IMG_7018IMG_7017

My note read: YOU ARE SO MUCH STRONGER THAN YOU THINK!

Well, look at the email I received this week from a man who also ran in this race:

Paul wrote, "I was googling to see if I could find pics of the race and came across your blog.  Congrats on your race, despite your struggles.  The reason for my post is that I just wanted to say thanks for the distraction near the finish.  I approached you from behind, trying to read your shirt as I was struggling around the 18-19 km mark on University Ave.  As I got closer, gasping for breath and trying to focus, I made out the message on your back…and I powered through the finish.  As I ran alongside you, I wanted to acknowledge and thank you for your message, but figured you were probably focused on your own battles at the time.  Anyway, I just wanted to thank you, and I’m glad I found a way to do so!"

I was pretty pumped to receive this email. It was such a cool feeling running my half marathon and knowing that this note was possibly inspiring others to keep going.

~~~

Behold my newest Operation Beautiful note:

IMG_5550

It reads, ‘You look sexy in your hair net! Ow! Ow!’

To say I feel unattractive in my baking get-up is an understatement!

I basically have been feeling like my old lunch lady! I decided that there is no reason why I had to feel unattractive- it was all a state of mind. I decided to change my attitude and write a note that would pick me up.

Every time I see the note I look in the mirror and smile. Case closed. Hair nets are the latest fashion accessory, didn’t ya know?

I also am eyeing these super cute aprons. I like this pink one (of course). I wonder if I can convince my MIL to sew me one…

~~~~

Do you wear a uniform at your job? Do you like it?
Have you ever had to wear a uniform that you hated?

Luckily, all of my previous jobs were in retail or office environments so I was able to wear normal work clothes. My very first job was at a Produce store when I was just 13. I was even a health nut back then! I got free fruit and veggies too…it was amazing. I had to wear an apron and work boots and I literally hauled 50 pound bags of corn and produce off frigid trucks, in addition to being a cashier, ice cream scooper, and stocker. Oddly enough, I am now 26 and still find myself hauling 50 pound bags of oats and hemp seed. That makes me laugh.

~~~~

Off to bake!

Angela_Signature

When someone we love is having difficulty and is giving us a bad time, it’s better to explore the cause than to criticize the action.
Zig Ziglar
(rocks!!!!)

1 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 27, 2009

That is such an awesome story! If I ever run a race I am definitely putting a note like that on my back. I wore uniforms in highschool, and I LOVED it. Not only did I get to save all my ‘fun’ clothes for other things, but I never had to figure out what to wear. I miss wearing uniforms. :(

2 Betsy October 27, 2009

I had to wear a uniform in elementary school, but I didn’t mind it because I was so young I didn’t care about clothes.
Now I have to abide by a certain dress code for my job..which is basically a uniform. I have to wear khakis which I HATE because I can never find a cheap pair that fits me right (I don’t want to spend a lot of money on them because I work at a childcare center so I get messy a lot!) I also have to wear a red polo that my workplace provides. It is SO ugly and doesn’t fit me right at all. Needless to day, my job is less than glamorous. Good thing I work with some of the best children ever!! They make it worth it!

3 elliebelle October 27, 2009

You should search on Etsy (www.etsy.com) for fun aprons. You’ll find super cute ones that are all handmade! :)

4 Kelly October 27, 2009

I was going to suggest the same thing — maybe you can find a canadian shop and save yourself the shipping hassle!

5 Gillian October 27, 2009

As soon as I’m back to Canada I’ve got to get into this Glo bakery ordering action!

When I worked in catering I had to wear black pants (not tight) a blouse, tie and a masculine vest. I actually kind of liked it because it felt professional and appropriate for the job. This summer I worked at a steakhouse where we had to wear skirts above the knee and heels for every shift. I was very offended by this and often felt uncomfortable in the way I was being presented to male customers. I also killed my feet wearing heels all summer.

Aint nothin wrong with a hairnet when you’re doing what you love- because following your dreams is sexy.

6 stacey October 27, 2009

I love the story about the operation beautiful note from your half marathon.

7 Claire October 27, 2009

That was so nice of him to send you that email.You got him through the race with inspiring words= made him feel good and he sent you that email= you feel good.It’s so cool how those things work.cc

8 Sarah @ The Foodie Diaries October 27, 2009

What a gratifying feeling that your Operation Beautiful note helped that runner; and yes, hair nets are sexy :)

9 The Voracious Vegan October 27, 2009

That email is SO sweet, that must have made you feel like a million bucks. It is so great that he found a way to get in touch with you.

HAhhaha, I love the way I feel in my hair net, I get that ‘I’m a professional baker’ gleam in my eye!

10 nic October 27, 2009

Happy anniversary I suppose?! 360 Days OSG!! YAY!!! And I think I read at least about 200 of them!!
I would totally loooooove to try your bars, but as you know, I’m neither from Canada nor from the States! :(
Wish you a wonderful fall-day cutie!! Hug n.

11 Michelle October 27, 2009

I really love your operation beautiful notes~!
That dorothy apron is SO cute :)
I work at Booster Juice, where we have to wear a shirt provided by the company and an apron. I don’t mind, the shirts aren’t bad, they have fun says on the back like “Boost a Move” and “Juice Couture.”

12 Juicy Jessy October 27, 2009

whahaha your note to yourself is so funny :-)

13 Stephanie October 27, 2009

I would love to order Glo Bars (esp the Coffee Pack!) but with the US shipping it is too much $$$ (which is obviously not your fault). Have you looked into whether any other companies offer shipping cheaper if you sign on to use them as your primary shipper? I am sure you have but just figured it might boost more US sales.

14 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2009

Yup that is the first thing I did…Canada Post had the cheapest rates I could find…cheaper than Fedex and UPS

15 Stephanie October 27, 2009

I might just have to go ahead and splurge. I’m drooling over them =)

16 Marcia October 27, 2009

Angela, I swear I’m going to put a sign on my back for the half. One like yours or “GO ahead, pass me. You can do it.”

Uniforms…spent some time in the Navy (didn’t always wear a uniform), got used to it.

Wore a uniform (polo shirt and hat) when I worked at the pizza place in college.

For the last 12 years I’ve been in the semiconductor industry, so my “uniform” for much of the day is a bunny suit.

I don’t mind it. It certainly means there’s no need to dress nice underneath (jeans, tshirts, comfy shoes, no makeup allowed).

17 Pam (Pamcakes and Eggs) October 27, 2009

Getting messages like that from people is really what makes blogging worthwhile. That’s awesome! Congrats on one whole year!

18 Tammy October 27, 2009

I have to wear scrubs..I don’t mind it a bit. I hate having to make decisions on what to wear to work everyday, and it just feels like wearing pajamas to work! Plus, I wouldn’t want my clothes to be anywhere near some of the stuff I come in contact with ( I’m a nurse)! The gloves, however sanitary, are sometimes annoying though.

19 Carolyn October 27, 2009

Love that O.B. note! LOL!! P.S. I’m giving away a breast cancer awareness Ipod nano armband case on my blog: http://lovinlosing.com/

20 Estela @ Weekly Bite October 27, 2009

What a great story! I’m sure that made your day!

21 Diana October 27, 2009

That’s awesome, that the person sent you an email. Definitely made ME smile, so I can imagine how you felt when you read it.

Not really, I don’t need an uniform. I do have to dress up a little when I photograph weddings but that’s not really a uniform is it…? :P

That pink apron is really cute :)

22 Leah @ Simply fabulous October 27, 2009

What a nice email you received! Talk about uplifting!

23 Valerie October 27, 2009

What an awesome email!

I’ve had tons of jobs requiring a uniform. Before my current job I worked as a pastry chef so I had a sweet chef’s jacket. Too bad the pants were super unflattering since they were unisex and made for giants (I’m 5’3 and I swear the pants would be long on someone that was 6′). I’ve also worked at a grocery store, and as a theatre usher – I got to wear a blazer and clip-on tie.. haha. And last but not least, I used to work at Tim Horton’s in high school. Oh boy… those uniforms are the worst!

24 Small Town Runner October 27, 2009

What fantastic feedback! What a blessing that this person was able to find you and thank you.
And yes, absolutely, that hairnet is SWEET!

25 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) October 27, 2009

No, I don’t wear a uniform, but sometimes I wish I did, because I would be so much quicker in the morning if I knew what I was going to wear everyday.

26 Morgan @ Life After Bagels October 27, 2009

I have had to wear an all white uniform before at a cosmetic counter I worked at. I’m super clumsy and used to break bottles of foundation all the time and it would splash all over my pants, I am now an expert in stain removal.

27 Amanda October 27, 2009

What a great response that you got to your note!!

I worked at a smoothie stand in the middle of the mall when I was in high school and had to wear a horrible teal polo shirt and visor. And there was NOWHERE to hide if a cute guy walked by. Glad I can decide what to wear to work now!

28 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) October 27, 2009

I ordered this variety pack!!!! Yipeeeeee!!! Thanks for doing the 20% discount on this today, and happy almost 1 year OSG anniversary!

29 Katie O. October 27, 2009

That’s such an awesome story! It’s amazing the positive impact we can have on one another.

Just ordered the variety pack- so excited! :)

30 Molly @thevegandorm October 27, 2009

I wore a uniform from preschool until I graduated high school.
Sometimes I wish college had a uniform too – makes the mornings much easier!!

31 kay (eating machine) October 27, 2009

i love cute aprons, and they’re actually not too hard to make… easier than a lot of sewing since they usually don’t need elastic, buttons, or zippers.
there are lots of patterns for cute ones, and lots of cute fabric-i’ve made a couple. (and i feel extra domestic wearing an apron that i’ve made myself :-) )

32 Janna (Just Flourishing) October 27, 2009

I definitely want to put an operation beautiful note on my the next time I’m racing.

It’s so great the things you think to do!

And. O.M.G. PINK APRONS! I want an apron SO badly. I do a lot of cooking and baking and I just think aprons are adorable!

They have some really cute (albeit expensive) aprons from Anthropologie. http://search.anthropologie.com/?q=apron&international=false

I think I still may order one. They are just too cute.

33 Krista October 27, 2009

I wore a uniform in high school and hated every minute of it!

34 Laura October 27, 2009

I got 2 ADORABLE vintage-inspired aprons from a seller on Etsy (I got the Bella style with the sweetheart neckline): http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=59241

It definitely makes me feel cute when I cook in style :-D continue to rock that hair net!

35 Christine October 27, 2009

I wear a pink hair net when I bake. :)

36 Paige @ Running Around Normal October 27, 2009

That’s so cool he could find you! That would make my day:)

37 Kris October 27, 2009

My very first job was in a chocolate factory! I had to wear a hair net and little white gloves :) I think I ate more than i wrapped! Great inspiring post!

38 rhodeygirl October 27, 2009

i just went to that website and bought 2 pairs of dishwashing gloves. i have been looking for funky ones for YEARS! so i got a pair for a friend’s bday, one for myself, and one for my friend’s bridal shower! so fun!

now i am off to hopefully finally be able to buy some glo bars before they sell out again!

39 Kristen @ frostingandfroth.com October 27, 2009

You’re inspiring people left and right, Ange!

I found my cute apron on sale at Anthropologie. They have adorable stuff.

40 Betty October 27, 2009

That’s awesome that you motivated someone like that. I bet there are so many more that saw your sign and that feel the same way. =)

41 Chloe (Naturally Frugal) October 27, 2009

I don’t wear a uniform per se, but sometimes have to wear a lab coat and can’t wear anything above the knee or open-toed shoes at all, even if it’s 100 degrees out. Not too bad, at least I get to choose what I wear!

42 Amanda October 27, 2009

I work at a vet clinic, so I get to wear scrubs. Very comfy, but then I come home and put on jeans and feel like I’ve gained 10 pounds! haha. That’s the only downside to wearing loose fitting scrubs all day.

43 Sarah October 27, 2009

That is so amazing that the guy you inspired was able to locate you and did! What a great note to receive. Congrats on your one year blogiversary!

44 skinnyrunner October 27, 2009

i commercial fish in alaska so my work outfit is raingear, boots, no makeup and sometimes not showering for a week at a time! talk about unattractive but i dont really ever care.

45 jessica October 27, 2009

I used to have to wear a uniform to school. I wish I could explain it so you would truly understand… Picture this…

Yellow (like your running jacket) V-neck knitted polyester sweater. Grey flowery looking tie.
Grey wool pleated skirt… very pleated..
black knee socks uggggggg.. whoever thought up those babies… EEK!!

Ugliest time in my life… haaha

46 kaila October 27, 2009

hey angela, a while ago you tryed some nakd bars from the UK i just came across them in your archives and i was wondering if you new how i could get some here in the US?

They arent available in the US or Canada as far as I know. I was given them from my friend Leah in the UK! ~Angela

47 kaila October 27, 2009

OKAY!! thanks so much any ways! those bars look good

48 Jenna (WholeBodyLove) October 27, 2009

I had to wear a Thick Burger T-shirt and ugly black pants with a Hardees hat when I worked breakfast shift there. I wore an awful button-down short-sleeved white HIX shirt when I worked at the Holiday Inn Express, I wore scrubs as a nurse asst, I wore a tiny black tee and black pants as a server at a pub, I wore khakis and a polo at the Assisted Living facility…this is the first time in many years that I have only one job!

49 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers October 27, 2009

i love that story! what an amazing man to find you & contact you about your inspiring message. how cool! congrats on the half marathon, too. ow ow!

50 OSGMOM October 27, 2009

Hey Ange, I just wanted to say Happy 1st. You’ve made us all proud!

51 Jil October 27, 2009

Aw, that’s such a great e-mail. Congrats on all of your successes over the last year!! Wooohoo Happy Blog Anniversary!!

52 Beth @ DiningAndDishing October 27, 2009

awww, what a great story!!

i used to have to wear a baseball hat at my coffee shop job in college. i hated it!! i felt like a boy. i could have used a note like yours at the time!! :O)

53 Tay October 27, 2009

Awww what an awesome email that you received!! I love when little things that you do end up showing that they truly matter! Even if it only effects 1 person, it was worth it :-)

54 Kristin @ runningsongs October 27, 2009

You got tonnes of compliments on that note while we were running along! Love it!!! When are the race pics going to be up? I’m very impatient.

My work uniform alternates between stilettos and pencil skirts, and workboots and coveralls. There is no in between. :)

55 Runnerbelle October 27, 2009

What a great note to get! I’m currently trying to think of a Operation Beautiful note to wear this weekend for the NYC Marathon.

No uniform for me! Just office casual now. Although most of my past jobs involved uniforms…. waitressing, lifegaurding and bartending.

56 Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life October 27, 2009

What an awesome e-mail! It’s even better to know that you’ve made a difference :)

57 Ali October 27, 2009

I work in the operating room and we wear scrubs and surgical hats – have you ever though of buying a surgical hat? Being in the military and also a nurse – my hat is basically the ONLY time I can show my personality…there are so many supercute ones out there too!

58 Linda October 28, 2009

I get to wear a military uniform to work everyday. It’s the best thing that I could imagine to wear to work.
I’ll have to get in on the next variety pack, it was sold out when I checked the site to order ;)