Pumpkin Chia Spelt Scuffins

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on October 24, 2009

IMG_5400

What does a baker do on her day off? Why bake healthy goodies of course!

Yesterday, a lovely reader named Mary emailed me and asked me how I would make this pumpkin cookie recipe healthier. I offered her several suggestions and then of course I was just chomping at the bit to try them out to see if they actually worked! I always have this sense of dread when I picture a reader following my advice and then having this horrible disaster and a baking day gone bad. I knew I had to test this out to be able to sleep at night! ;)

Into the kitchen I went on this glorious fall day!

IMG_5427

Here is a summary of how I made these healthier:

ORIGINAL RECIPE Healthy vegan recipe
1.5 cups sugar 1/2 cup sugar + 1/4 cup agave nectar
2.5 cups white flour 2.5 cups whole grain spelt flour
1 egg 1 flax egg
1/2 cup butter 1/2 cup vegan, non-hydrogenated butter
Icing glaze Chia seeds

They are now vegan, low-fat, and filled with protein packed whole grain spelt flour. Not too shabby!

IMG_5379

There is no doubt about it, chia seeds look like bugs and are perfect for Halloween cookies!! The best part is they are tasteless so you can sneak them on or into cookie batter and your kids (or husband) won’t mind. ;)

IMG_5424

They also have an amazing nutritional profile! For 1 large 3″ scuffin:

Untitleddfdf

They are very low in sugar yet still so satisfying.

What do they taste like??

I fell in love. I never expected these to turn out so delicious! The combination of the sugar and agave was perfect. These are not overly sweet, but just right. They are fluffy, light, and filled with pumpkin flavour. The kitchen smells absolutely out of this world too.

I spread mine with a bit of vegan butter and they were heavenly as a breakfast. Eric loved them too and he ‘hates’ pumpkin (I wonder how long he is going to keep saying that? lol).

IMG_5406

I can’t imagine a better or healthier Halloween treat!

IMG_5387

Off to rake leaves! :D

Angela_Signature

Jil October 24, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Ohh, love how these look! They sound so delicious! You’re right chia seeds do look like teeny little bugs…perfect for this time of year!! haha Kids would love that this time of year. Love the fact that they are on sticks, too.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 24, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Ange they look delicious! I love the ‘pop.’

VeggieGirl October 24, 2009 at 12:41 pm

SCRRRRUMPTIOUS!! And I love the smiley face :)

Keri October 24, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Those scuffins sound increible! Next time I have pumpkin and want to bake something, I’m pulling up this recipe! Thanks Angela! oh, and about your kitty-cat post yesterday… hilarious and SO CUTE! Your cat is ADORABLE! What kind of cat is Sketchie and where do I get myself one?! (:

Madeline @ Greens and Jeans October 24, 2009 at 1:04 pm

I think I drooled a little when I saw that picture! I will absolutely be making these! Thank you for the recipe!

SnowKat October 24, 2009 at 1:06 pm

Ange,
I know I said this already but… YOU ROCK!!! Thanks again for ‘healthifying’ this recipe :D I can’t wait to make them today!
-Mary

Sammi October 24, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Those look good! You always know how to make me hungry :) haha. I’m so bad at figuring out ways to make things healthier so I’m so glad that you posted a healthier recipe. I don’t understand how anyone can not like pumpkin. It is so tasty!
p.s.-I just made my own blog and I cannot figure out how to add you to my blogroll :( any help?

Tay October 24, 2009 at 1:20 pm

Thank you Angela they look great!!

rhodeygirl October 24, 2009 at 1:20 pm

In the words of VeggieGirl: HOLY YUM.

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope October 24, 2009 at 1:27 pm

I am once again so impressed by your baking skills Angela! You truly know how to make the healthiest, yummiest treats. LOVE the sound of these Scuffins. :)

xxoo
Heather

Diana October 24, 2009 at 1:36 pm

They look so good Angela! :) And that smiley one is cute :P

[email protected] October 24, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Those are SO cute! I can not get enough pumpkin this year. I made an amazing pumpkin almond butter shortbread last week that I am going to replicate in bulk for this week!

Liz October 24, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Haha, scuffins are a great invention! Nicely done in making them healthier. You are really good at that ;)

Marina October 24, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Wow, they really look tasty and cute :)

The Voracious Vegan October 24, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Awwww those are adorable! After going vegan I vowed to never again eat anything that had a face, but I will make an exception for these cuties! I LOVE pumpkin, it is the best thing to bake with. I can’t wait to try these!

Christina October 24, 2009 at 2:41 pm

Totally going to try these! They are sooo cute!

xoxoxoox

Pam October 24, 2009 at 2:54 pm

How cute and looks really good!

Kristen @ frostingandfroth.com October 24, 2009 at 4:10 pm

Those scuffins look so fun and yummy. I laughed when I read that Eric asked, “What’s a scone?” Totally something my husband would say.

zestycook October 24, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Oh Wow Angela, these look amazing!! great job and nice picture. YUM

maria October 24, 2009 at 6:34 pm

Your scuffins are adorable! :) And they look so delicious (ON A STICK!) Does that happen to be a Jeff Dunham reference at all?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2009 at 7:07 pm

you dont mean Jose Jalapeno do you?? haha. I love it.

Lele October 24, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Those are the cutest things I’ve ever seen!

Rachel October 24, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Those look great!I love that you do, what I attempt to do time and time again (substitute recipes to the umpteenth degree for the sake of healthy goodness)… just yours actually turn out successful. Can’t wait to try them!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2009 at 7:43 pm

trust me I have my failed attempts!!! lol. You should have seen how many I had when I was creating recipes for my bakery ;p

One Healthy Apple October 24, 2009 at 8:23 pm

I love the little face on the scuffins! Looks like a great nutritional profile and sooo delicious!

Michelle Gay October 24, 2009 at 8:35 pm

they look great. I am going to try and make them gluten free…humm. I have to. I’ll let you know how many attempts I have to do :)

Julie @savvyeats October 24, 2009 at 8:49 pm

These look delicious. Quick question: what is the difference between spelt flour and regular whole wheat flour when it comes to baking?

Jenny @JennyLikesToRun, on a mission to run a marathon to fundraise for the Breast Cancer Foundation October 24, 2009 at 11:05 pm

Looks DIVINE! Can’t wait to try out this recipe :)

Shannon, Tropical Eats October 24, 2009 at 11:49 pm

Adorable! Love the fun faces on them.. and it looks great with butter mmm :)

Have a lovely day tomorrow! Your recipes are just the best ever!

Chelsea @ (Chelsea's Chew and Run Fun) October 24, 2009 at 11:53 pm

Amazing, adorable little critters. I might just have to make those for the kids I nanny for, it would seem wrong not to.

MJ @ Dubai Dossier October 25, 2009 at 6:46 am

These look great!!!!! So sad to not be having a real Halloween this year but maybe I’ll try some of these to create the spirit!

[email protected] RunningAroundNormal October 25, 2009 at 7:46 am

Those look amazing! SO cute. And scuffins? Genius!

Dawn (HealthySDLiving) October 26, 2009 at 10:57 am

These looks sound SO delicious! And I love the little face! lol

Kris October 26, 2009 at 11:58 am

MMmmmmmm scuffins ;) These look great! I can’t wait till my detox is over so I can Bake again. These are on my “to bake list” Enjoy your day!

courtney October 26, 2009 at 12:37 pm

I absolutely HAD to make these yesterday–and they are totally delicious! I didn’t have chia seeds, so I drizzled a little melted dark chocolate on top: MMMMMMMM good! Thanks for another healthy recipe! :)

sara October 28, 2009 at 9:47 am

I made these last night and they were amazing. I just used regular margarine instead of the vegan butter (im not vegan) and they were wonderful! Thanks for the recipe. I have already passed it around to people in my office to try to get them to make these instead of oily pumpkin bread as these are much healthier!

Amy Fisher October 28, 2009 at 10:36 am

I LOVE your website and would love to have a link to your site from my blog! I have a lot of friends who would also LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog!! May I have your permission to link to your site? Thank you, Amy

Casey April 29, 2010 at 10:01 am

Just made these last week and I am in love. The lovechild of a muffin and scone is a beautiful thing indeed. I think I may try some variations on the recipe and some add ins. Maybe cranberries and walnuts?

Charmaine September 23, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Hi Angela,
Just wondering if the “t” means tablespoon or teaspoon?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2012 at 10:03 am

small t means teaspoon. I will clarify this in the recipe, thanks!

Dominique October 19, 2014 at 1:37 pm

These are delicious! I used kamut flour and maple syrup and they turned out perfect. I have a banana version in the oven right now and I can’ twain to try it! Thanks for the recipe!

Angela October 24, 2014 at 10:47 pm

Hey Angela! I’m Angela too ;) So happy to find this recipe – wanted to bake something for my coworkers & they all know I’m going vegan so wanted to share how fun & yummy being vegan can be!! They sound delicious I’m baking tonight I’ll let you know how it goes :) Thank you for this and love your website!! Much love!!