Whole Foods: Take II

Happy Labour Day!

Glo bars have a sexy new backside ;)

img 6000 thumb   Whole Foods: Take II

All of the glo bars are going to have the full nutritional information, in addition to the ingredients, on the back label.

I also updated the nutritional info for Endure, Zen, Harmony, and Refresh Glo Bars! Check it out here.

~~~~~

Eric and I were in desperate need of groceries so we made a special trip to Costco and Whole Foods!

Here is what I got at Whole Foods:

img 3946 thumb   Whole Foods: Take II

I really had to control myself because it could have gotten very much out of hand!

img 3945 thumb   Whole Foods: Take II

• Dandelion…mmmmm
  • 2 Yellow zucchini
  • 2 Sweet potatoes
  • 8 carrots

img 3950 thumb   Whole Foods: Take II

• Black kale (bottom right)
  • Regular kale
  • 4 hot house tomatoes

img 3944 thumb   Whole Foods: Take II

• Bag of garbanzo beans (to make hummus)
  • Can anyone name this green one?

img 3938 thumb   Whole Foods: Take II

• Organic banana chips (possible new glo bar ingredient?!)
  • Organic Extra Firm Tofu

img 3939 thumb   Whole Foods: Take II

• 5 apples
  • Nourishtea Japanese Sencha Loose Leaf (this was the only loose leaf they had)
  • Neal Brothers Tomato and Basil Spaghetti Sauce
  • 365 Organic Pasta Sauce
  • Pumpkin
  • Organic Pumpkin Seed Butter (another possible Glo bar ingredient)

img 3947 thumb   Whole Foods: Take II

• 2 cans pizza sauce
  • Natural Choice Full of Fruit Popsicles (Same brand as the coconut kind only strawberry)
  • Sambazon Acai Smoothie Packs (100% frozen Acai puree)

And Costco:

img 3928 thumb   Whole Foods: Take II

• 3 rolls parchment paper
  • Pure maple syrup (best deal on maple syrup I have found)
  • Huge bag of frozen veggies (left)
  • Mixed peppers
  • 4 unsweetened applesauce

img 3929 thumb   Whole Foods: Take II

• Organic spinach
  • 3 english cukes
  • Huge box of Mary’s crackers
  • Strawberries
  • Big Valley Frozen fruit (for green monsters!!)

img 3930 thumb   Whole Foods: Take II

• Pears
  • Bertolli EVOO

img 3935 thumb   Whole Foods: Take II

The frozen fruit is divine!!! I can’t wait to throw a few pieces into my green monsters. Very quick and easy, no prep required.

Oh and look what I found in the backseat! We forgot to bring in our new S+P and Zester from our trip to William Ashley’s last week.

img 3954 thumb   Whole Foods: Take II

Almost as soon as I got home, I made the most delicious green monster.

img 3956 thumb   Whole Foods: Take II

I lightly microwaved some dandelion, black kale, and regular kale in water for about 2 minutes.

I also added a new Acai smoothie pak!

img 3960 thumb   Whole Foods: Take II

Nutritional info:

img 3963 thumb   Whole Foods: Take II

I had a little nibble of the frozen puree and I was a bit surprised that it wasn’t naturally sweet. The GM definitely needed some banana. I used 1/2 a banana, 1/2 c almond milk, 1/2 cup water, and chia seeds.

It doesn’t get much healthier than this!

img 3974 thumb   Whole Foods: Take II

Yum, yum, yum.

~~~~~~

Stay tuned for the first of two chia seed contests this week! :)

Well, I’m off to do some labour! I’m going to finish my labels, nutrition info, new Glo Bar experiments, and baking a big order up! So much for a day off! I have one mean boss… ;)

Enjoy your Labour Day! Is anyone doing anything fun?

PS- Operation cat bed is NOT going smoothly!

img 3977copy thumb   Whole Foods: Take II

angela signature thumb10   Whole Foods: Take II

Aoife September 7, 2009

Looks like puy lentils to me? :)

Have you tried making homemade tomato/pasta sauces? You just need tomoatoes, EVOO, a little balsamic vinegar and basil/whatever herbs/spices you want. Roast in the oven for about 20 mins and blend for a gorgeous sauce you can put on pasta, homemade pizzas, use in curries etc.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2009

Yea Ive tried in the past but it didn’t taste like I hoped it would..maybe I will give it another shot!

Aoife September 7, 2009

I know what you mean, ‘cos first time I tried I put in WAY too much balsamic vinegar and it was pretty gross to be honest! Second time I put fresh basil and it was much nicer…but I bet roasting some peppers and adding them would make it even better :)

Jess September 7, 2009

I second the homemade tomato sauce. I grew up with my mother’s homemade sauce and I wouldn’t have it any other way. She even even uses canned tomatoes when fresh are out of season. Simply buy the whole, peeled tomatoes (she uses plum) and crush them with your hands for chunkier sauce or puree in the food processor for smooth sauce. Saute garlic in a little EVOO in a pan, add tomatoes and basil and simmer. That’s it! Soo simple, delicious, and much cheaper!

kay (eating machine) September 7, 2009

The biggest lesson I’ve learned in making my own pasta sauce is that it needs a little bit of something sweet-the garlic/tomatoes/etc can make it really acidic, and you have to balance it out-if you look on the jars they usually have some sugar (or you could put in agave, stevia, whatever…)

Elizabeth September 7, 2009

The beans on the right would be of the delicious Mung variety (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mung_bean). Are you going to sprout them? They’re also really good in veggie burgers (and in sweets – cooked and pureed with a few other ingredients, they make an awesome pudding). I’m sure you have big plans for them :) Can’t wait to see!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2009

haha I actually know nothing about them and was hoping you guys could help me prepare them!!!?? ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2009

Check this out:

All about mung beans! Wow apparently they are a superfood!

Courtney September 7, 2009

Pumpkin seed butter….intrigued!! Can’t wait to see how you use it and how it tastes. You make me want to go grocery shopping right now!!

Courtney
Adventures in Tri-ing

Krista September 7, 2009

We’re just about to take a bike ride to the Guelph Lake. Should be an interesting adventure!

Jealous of your WF trip! One of the city’s Noah will be playing hockey in is Oakville, so I’m already devising a plan to fit WF into the trip!

dorothy September 7, 2009

are they mung beans??

and did you get the mary’s crackers from costco?!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2009

Yes and yes! $7.99 CAD At costco. Works out to being a bit cheaper than the boxes on sale at Loblaws for $3.99

Jackie September 7, 2009

I highly recommend Eden’s Organic 100% Whole Grain Spaghetti. And this is coming from a former white flour spaghetti lover, with this I don’t miss it and a total convert to the whole grain kind. Eden’s Organic Applesauce is also the most divine kind of applesauce I have ever had.

Oh and try sprinkling a little catnip onto his bed! This way he’ll associate it with fun and comfort, and it will at least get him interested in the bed- works like a charm for my kitties!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2009

You don’t want to see my cat on CAT NIP!!!!!!!

Ok maybe this would be a fun video ;)

Anne P September 7, 2009

LOL to sketchie and the cat bed stand-off! cats are so funny like that.

Susan September 7, 2009

I love pumpkin seed butter! I’m assuming it’ll be adding some magnesium to your bars? ;)

I’m working today too. Except I’m not even my own boss! Oh well, I’m off soon. Have a great day Angela!

Hannah September 7, 2009

Mung beans!!! I’m pretty sure because I work at a spice shop that also sells beans and seeds, etc.

Sketchie is just too funny!

I have a ?: When you microwave the veggies in water, do you use the water or drain it out? Does that lose any of the vitamins?

brandi September 7, 2009

this makes me excited for my next trip to costco! I’ll have to look for those crackers for sure.

Rosey Rebecca September 7, 2009

I love Whole Foods so much!! I just went to Trader Joe’s yesterday. I could live in both stores easily.

Lara September 7, 2009

My cat does the same thing. She will sleep everywhere but the cat bed so we wound up giving it away.

Been wanting to try mung beans. Look forward to what you create with them.

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope September 7, 2009

I just love seeing your shopping trips Angela! And I’m totally jealous of your recent Whole Foods trips. I still have yet to have the pleasure of shopping at one!

Such great buys… I can’t wait to see what you do with the mung beans, and loving all the produce. :)

xxoo
Heather

Lexi September 7, 2009

This entire time I have been putting my greens in uncooked…lol! Guess I should have read the directions carefully :)
I wish I lived near Whole Foods or Trader Joes…

Ashley September 7, 2009

Mung beans are great!!

Your fiasco with Sketchie and the bed makes me giggle outloud because that’s exactly how my cats would behave :)

Leah September 7, 2009

That’s totally Mung Beans! Yum!

Robin September 7, 2009

Wow, that’s a lot of food. You are going to be doing a LOT of cooking =)

leianna September 7, 2009

Love that your cat won’t sleep in the bed, mine wont either, any place but!
Can’t wait for chia seed contest, just tried some the other week, so good in GM’s!

Kath September 7, 2009

Green one = french lentils??

Nikki September 7, 2009

Your cat totally reminds me of my sister’s dog…she got the little dog a nice soft (foamy) doggie bed…and the dog didn’t use the thing to sleep, not even once! She would drag it around the house and fight it, pounce on it, shake it around in her mouth, etc. When she was a puppy we used to put a baby gate up in the laundry room so that she wouldn’t have full reign of the house, so one day we came home to find her sitting (very innocently) in the middle of a room FULL of foam! She had destroyed the bed completely! Needless she proved the point that she didn’t want to sleep in the bed, we didn’t get her another doggie bed :S

Faith September 7, 2009

I love your grocery loot! Pumpkin seed butter sounds really delicious, and that frozen fruit looks perfect!

Meghan@traveleatlove September 7, 2009

Yummy looking smoothie! Ha- our cats choose newspapers, magazines, the cold floor, inside of cabinets, anything over their bed!

Menden @ Skinny Menny September 7, 2009

Don’t you just love Costco? I was there yesterday as well…and got the same bag of frozen fruit, lol! Have a great day :)

Laura (On the Threshold of Greatness) September 7, 2009

I love the cat bed picture! We got one for my cat and he refuses to sleep in it. :) You are not alone in your struggles!

Jennie September 7, 2009

We bought each of our cats nice fluffy cat beds years ago. They never used them either. One sleeps in our boys bed and the other prefers to sleep on newspaper or plastic bags. She’s very weird like that. She would love sleeping in a box lid. :)

Jolene September 7, 2009

Wow – that is a lot of groceries! All so healthy too :-) Awesome!

Your cat is SO stinken cute, those pics make me laugh out loud :-)

I tried chia seeds for the first time today!! I saw them first on your blog, and then bought some to try (a mixture of white and black). I put them in my morning smoothie. I also threw some bee pollen in there. Have you ever had bee pollen?

Courtney September 7, 2009

Haha, your little Sketchie bubble is toooo cute. :) I can tell you’re using that indoor flash Eric gifted you – your pictures are just rocking my world!! Those groceries are falling out of my computer …

Organic Ashley September 7, 2009

The green ones are mung beans right? I have some in my cupboard that look just like those. PS I love your camera!

Priyanka September 7, 2009

The green ones are called Mung beans!!They can be soaked overnight and then wrapped in a cheese cloth and kept aside to sprout for a day. They sprout up beautifully!! Love them they make excellent salads with veggies and simple olive oil and lemon dressing!

Sonia September 7, 2009

I love mung beans!! I also sprout them and season them with salt, pepper, and ground cumin. They’re great like that with some chopped tomatoes and onions. I like cooking with them too…I have only had them in Indian food growing up, and I think my mom made them with tomatoes and onions also.

Louise September 7, 2009

Hi, Great post with awesome pics! They don’t nickname it, “Whole Paycheck,” for nothing!

That is cute about Sketchie, your cat. Why don’t you post on http://icanhascheezburger.com ?

What do you feed her? We feed ours Pet Promise. It is better than what she had before, except maybe too much corn and wheat made her fat. Now I’m looking for the next upgrade.

Amanda September 7, 2009

Sketchie is so handsome!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 7, 2009

I’d guess the green things are possibly green french lentils or some kind of unique bean.

I need to control myself in WF, too!

And that froz fruit you bought looks wonderful! I dont even buy froz fruit anymore b/c the Cascadian Farms organic brand is usually overpriced and not that good and the fruit looks so ugly and gross the only thing you could do with it is make a monster, couldnt really eat is per se. Unless you dont mind ugly beatup eats. Not for me. Your fruit looks stellar!

Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now September 7, 2009

Looks like you got lots of good stuff. I can’t wait to see what you come up with for everything.

K September 7, 2009

Mung Beans!! I am excited to see what you do with them since I have some sitting in my cupboard without a purpose…
Next time you go to Costco you should look for these fantastic crackers they carry. They are made by ‘Crunchmaster’ and are called Multi-grain crackers (they contain quinoa, flax, amaranth, sesame seeds and brown rice flour!!) they are soo tasty!!
-K

Laura @ Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness September 7, 2009

LOL – the Sketchie updates are hilarious!

Looks like one badass shopping trip.

Cheers!
~Laura
Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness
LauraMKE.blogspot.com

erika September 7, 2009

we put catnip inside our cat bed (ours unzips). now all 3 of them use it. one of our cats is part wild, looks a bit like yours except ours def has more alley-cat in him. but personality-wise, seems the same. :)

Lisa M September 7, 2009

That’s too funny! Exact same thing happened to us. We had this great large sized basket and bought one of those fake sheep-skin things from Ikea to put inside…I’m telling you, I wanted to crawl in, curl up and have a snooze. I even tried putting cat nip in it.
And where does she sleep?
A beer flat.

Saima September 7, 2009

Moong dal/lentil soup is a staple in Indian cooking

Page 1 of 212»