The Best Run I’ve Ever Had

Hey guys :)

I hope everyone is enjoying a safe, happy, and healthy long weekend!

Oh and errr…catching up on much needed sleep like Sketchie!

IMG_5906

We bought him a cat bed, but he prefers this box lid- go figure!

Here we go with Saturday’s eats!

Breakfast: 9am

Green monster (kale, hemp milk, liquid garlic, ice, 1/2 c blueberries, 1 tiny brown banana, spirulina)

IMG_3420

Little did I know, I was off for what would be the run of my life!

Saturday my body didn’t tell me to pull back, in fact it said to me ‘Eat your heart out and rock this run!’ So that is just what I did.

I have never had a training run that was this moving. Something was in the air, that I know. It was maybe the most beautiful morning we have had all summer long. Crisp air, no humidity, blue skys, green grass.

I saw about 50-60 cyclists, lots of people doing yardwork, etc. Everyone said good morning and many of them had a little chat with me as I ran by. It lifted my spirit so much, especially because I was doing the murder hill route.

And get this.

I saw the most beautiful scene of nature I think I have ever come across. I was at mile 6 and struggling a bit (miles 4 onward are uphill) and I saw three of the most beautiful deer come out of the woods.

Deer%20Jump%20G3

[Note. Picture from google images! lol]

Ok, ok, so they didn’t leap the fence, they crawled through the bottom, but who’s keeping track? In my mind, they leaped over the fence. bahahaha.

I watched the deer and they bounced so gracefully away all the way across the field and down a farm road. It was SO BEAUTIFUL. I had a big grin on my face for the next half mile.

During other moments of the run, I also felt quite moved for different reasons. I thought about Chris and the races I am running in his honour. It is a bit hard for me to really put into words exactly how I was feeling on this run, but it was nothing short of euphoric and deeply meaningful to me.

At mile 7, I saw a bunch of horses in a field. At mile 9, I saw 2 cute bunnies. :) Got me through the last mile.

sarah_darnell_400_400x300

The run:

• 1 hour 41 mins
  • Distance: 10.08 miles
  • Pace: 10.02 min/mile
  • Max HR: 173 bpm
  • Avg HR: 152 bpm

It was the longest I have ever run in my life! By 0.08 miles, lol. I was going to stop at 10 miles, but I thought why not break a new personal record? :) I also beat my Wednesday run by 3 minutes. I felt so fast and strong!

Immediately after my run, I had a hit of protein from my Amazing Grass powder:

IMG_3841

Lunch quickly followed my refreshing shower. I was starving like a monster!

Lunch: 12:30pm

Darvida Crackers and Salsa

IMG_3861

A Tabouli + Black bean + Tomato puree + Lettuce wrap:

IMG_3866

Just awesome.

IMG_3874

A bagged Sencha Green Tea Eric picked up for me yesterday. It was decent for a bagged Sencha.

IMG_3885

It had been a while since I put lettuce on my wraps and I really loved it. I need to do this more often!

IMG_3879

Edited to add: I also had an apple.

Then we were off to for our special weekend excursion!

Any guesses where we went?

IMG_5938

If you guessed Toronto you are right! We had an awesome weekend of events, eats, and friends.

And I had lunch number two…

IMG_5910IMG_5913

This veggie sub and package of crackers didn’t even put a dent in my hunger!!

Off for our excursion!

IMG_5935

We went to the EX…

IMG_5940

Saw the air show…

IMG_5919

Judged sand castles…

IMG_5945

Judged flowers and vegetables…

IMG_5943

The veggies made me hungry! haha

IMG_5948

For dinner Eric took me to his favourite pizza place:

IMG_5973

I got the Diana :)

IMG_5964

And a side of pizza sauce for dipping. It was delicious!

IMG_5965

I ate every last bite!

IMG_5967

And then had a grand ol’ time with friends.

IMG_5978

While en route, I had a Refresh Glo Bar (not pictured).

I was super tired last night after the 10 miler and walking for about 6 hours! I just stuck to 1 beer and called it a night.

IMG_5982b

It was such a fun long weekend getaway.

We have more fun in store today, with another possible trip to Fresh– stay tuned!

Angela_Signature

1 Cara September 6, 2009

Congrats on the run!
p.s. that pizza looks delish!

2 Michelle Gay September 6, 2009

You got to judge vegetables..how fun is that.

Lovin’ the hair!

It’s amazing sometimes when the world feels like it’s opening up and you can run through the awesome feelings that it gives you. I was struggling the other day when I was running and thought of how amazing and honoured I was to be running. Positive, affirming thoughts are so incredibly powerful. Keep up the great work.

Michelle

3 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2009

It really is and sometimes it is so hard to describe that feeling into words!

4 Jennie {in Wonderland} September 6, 2009

Is that white polka-dot shirt from Suzy Shier? I used to be a manager there (oh yes, in my more exciting days, LOL) and I could swear I recognize that pattern.

Awesome on the run and I love the scenes of T Dot!!

5 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2009

I used to work at SS for years back in the day!

Nope, its from Bebe I think (circa 2007ish)

6 Jennie {in Wonderland} September 6, 2009

I should have known it was too nice ;-)

What did you do? I still have dreams about “You could get a Prestige card today for only an extra $4…” haha

7 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2009

haha omg me too!!! I used to pitch that damn prestige card SO much!

I was just a regular ol sales girl…haha. I think I worked a total of 3 years at Suzy.

8 Leah @ Simply Fabulous September 6, 2009

I felt the exact same way when I ran my half. It is totally hard to put it into words. Pretty much makes all the torture of running allllll those miles worth it eh.

Pizza looks delish!

9 Susan September 6, 2009

Congrats on the amazing run!! I love days like that where the stars seems to align and I hammer out a wonderful workout. Walking 6 hours after 10 miles sounds rough though. I hope you’re resting up today! :)

10 kristin September 6, 2009

Hey Ange!

Good job on a great run! I can’t believe the EX is coming to an end – that definitely signals the end of summer :(

I was at Fresh yesterday – I had the baby Dragon – mmm delicious. If you go today you HAVE to try their carrot cake – I had it for the first time yesterday and it was to dieee for :)

Have fun!

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2009

We had the carrot cake when we went…it was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! Check out the pics!

12 Paige @ Running Around Normal September 6, 2009

Great job on the run!! I love it when everything just goes right :D

Looks like you had a great time in Toronto.

13 Jenny September 6, 2009

Wow congrats on such an awesome run, and thanks for sharing! It’s so inspirational and motivating to hear about the successes of others.

That pizza looks incredible! All the veggies are making my mouth water, and I just ate breakfast! haha :)

14 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2009

Thanks everyone!!! (big hugs)

15 dragonfly180 September 6, 2009

congrats on the 10.08 mile run! it feels awesome to break a distance pr!

16 A September 6, 2009

Ang, did you run 10 on Wed, then another 10 on Saturday? Wow!

17 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2009

Yup, I decided to break my mileage into 3 tuns this week (2 long 1 short) to have more rest days for the legs.

18 A September 6, 2009

And what do you use to hydrate while running? I tried a camelpak, but it was flopping all around, I was getting whacked in the face with the mouthpiece, and it totally threw off my balance!

19 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2009

I just bring a water bottle in my hand- NOT ideal! That is too bad about the camelpak because I was going to get one of these!

20 justveggin' September 6, 2009

Congrats on your run and new personal record!!!!
I ran 9.5 miles today(new record for me) and felt great the entire time too! Must be this great Fall weather :)

21 Robin September 6, 2009

Keeping busy I see. There is no more of a peaceful sleep I think than that of a cat. Your cat looks a lot like my cat, I posted a pic today too.

22 Marina September 6, 2009

I’m glad you had such a good run! I know the feeling, although I feel it during my bike rides. I love when I see animals free in their natural environment, just jumping around happy. Words really can’t explain that feeling!

23 Jenna September 6, 2009

I always feel like I am on top of the world after a long run, one of the best feelings EVER actually. Nice work chica!

I am going on a short run this morning, which I am really looking forward too. I’ve been a bum the past few days :).

Fabulous eats too! Have a wonderful Sunday dear!

24 VeggieGirl September 6, 2009

Haha, oh Sketchie – animals just love the simple stuff over the pampered goodies :-D

Hell yes for a STELLAR run and a great time at the EX & with friends.

25 Kristin (Kristins Nibbles) September 6, 2009

Congrats on that run! I love beating my own records, it’s so much more satisfying than beating anyone else’s!!

Your weekend trip looked like fun! I can’t wait until I’m in Toronto… I love cities!

Have a great start to your week!

xo
K

26 WalkerEvents September 6, 2009

Congrats on your new record! You hit all my favourite places in TO yesterday! I was at the CNE yesterday too, and a few years ago I worked on Queen St W, I had pizzaiolo at least once a week. (not very healthy, i know) I loved the airshow, and was very tempted to buy a Slap Chop, haha!

27 kay (eating machine) September 6, 2009

I love that you saw deer on your run!
and that pizza looks so good!

28 The Happy Runner September 6, 2009

What a great day! Congratulations on the run. To have your longest run also be your best is quite good!

29 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 6, 2009

So glad you had a good run! Sometimes on days I am beata$$ tired, it just means that it is darkest right before the light, as you were describing being so tired and not into working out at all the day before…anyway, something just sometimes clicks and turns around inside your body and you’re like bam! off to a great, awesome run the next day out. That’s how it is for me usually when I am soooo tired, just means I will end up feeling great in the next day or two.

Cute bunny sighting as well as all your other great pics. And you are, of course, glowing :)

30 janetha September 6, 2009

hahaha that is the best photo of sketchie. cats are always like that, when i had one he liked the wrapping paper more than the toys he got for his bday and christmas!

31 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2009

Oh yea! Every toy we have bought sketchie is pretty much useless. He prefers packing form or random pieces of crinkle paper. Oh and he LOVES velcro…one of his all time favourite things to play with.

32 Rebekah September 6, 2009

Such a great feeling! That is exactly why I run!

I absolutely love your pictures of Sketchie!!

33 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now September 6, 2009

WHY is it that cats love boxes and lids and news paper??? lol

34 Carrie September 6, 2009

I’m a new reader and I love your blog! Not a runner though. :) Keep up the good work.

35 Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) September 6, 2009

You were like Snow White when all the animals came out to greet her! :-D Yay for endorphins!

Love it when kitties (and doggies) roll on their backs and just lay there- sheer heaven to pet the tummy!

36 Kristine September 6, 2009

Congrats on the 10 miler!! Where is your white shirt from? I can barely see it in the photo, but it looks super cute!

37 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2009

Thank you!

Its from Bebe circa 2007ish lol

38 Faith September 6, 2009

This sounds like a truly amazing run! What a fun day, it must have been so fun to get to judge the flowers and veggies! Wow, that pizza looks incredible!

39 angieinatlanta September 6, 2009

Wow! WAY TO ROCK YOUR RUN!

That looks like such a fun day; I’m trying to think of a little day excursion for today now – you inspired me!

40 Amari September 6, 2009

Way to go on accomplishing an impressive 10 miles! I still have yet to make my own Green Monster smoothie, but am planning on doing a little experimenting with it this week!

41 Sana September 6, 2009

:) What a feel good post :) It makes me remember what it feels like to have a powerful run. It’s like nothing is wrong with the world and you are out there, taking in the lovely world we all live in :)!!!

42 katie September 6, 2009

i also did my longest run ever yesterday [10.5 miles!] although i can’t say my run felt great at all [especially compared to how great my wednesday night run felt.

i can sympathize with being a bottomless pit yesterday though – probably shouldn’t have had so many oreos last night for dessert, but figured i did kind of earn it ;)

43 Pam September 6, 2009

Nice photo’s and great looking food!

Congrats. on enjoying your run so much!

44 The big blue dog September 6, 2009

Sounds like an amazing weekend and run!

45 Ellen @ Peace in Motion September 6, 2009

congrats on breaking the record! even that little bit means so much.

46 Lizzie September 6, 2009

Great, amazing work!!!! You earned a nice weekend with friends! It’s always so great to reach another milestone – you’ll be so ready for your next big race. Your scenery is so different to my current long run route – if I get up early enough on either Saturday or Sunday, I get to see people doing the ‘walk of shame’ downtown (meaning, big night, stayed at someone’s house, still wearing same outfit and possibly walking barefoot carrying shoes – hee hee!). For me, that’s a reason to be glad I am out running :) Hope you enjoyed the rest of the weekend.

47 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2009

LOL…I used to see that a lot in university when I would hike it to the campus gym on a Sunday morning!

48 Brandi C September 6, 2009

Congratulations on your AMAZING run!

49 Karen September 6, 2009

Congratulations on the wonderful run! I love doing long runs in the country, with the deer, rabbits, foxes etc. Those beautiful autumn runs really are the payoff for putting up with miserable runs in the sticky summer heat!

50 Tay September 7, 2009

What an awesome run my friend! 2 10-milers in one week? Go you!! And that pizza looks fabulous. What a fun day you had :-)

51 Shannon (The Daily Balance) September 8, 2009

I wish I would’ve known you were at the EX! The Mister and I had to walk through it to get to the Killers Concert, I would have loved to have met up with you for a few minutes!

Oh well, next time ;)

52 Lili August 17, 2013

Hi Angela!

I was wondering what device you use to track your runs/heart rate? I’d like to purchase the Garmin Forerunner 10 but I don’t think it has a heart rate monitor. Thank you!

53 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 19, 2013

Hi Lili, I don’t use it any more but I did use a Garmin forerunner. The newer models have a heart rate strap to wear across your chest. When I used it in the past it worked well.