A Total Bust- But So What?

Do you ever have one of those mornings that sucks before it even begins? Well, that was today for Eric and I. A bunch of small things were just going wrong. No big deal in the grand scheme of things of course, but they still can be quite annoying when they happen!

I started the morning by trying out the new Waffle Iron. Total bust. The waffle was all stuck to the sides and we couldn’t even remove it. I didn’t think I was supposed to spray it since it is non-stick, but now I am thinking I should? Are there any pro waffle makers out there?

IMG_3242

I also concocted a vegan recipe, so that might have had something to do with it. I used 100% whole wheat flour, chia seeds, almond milk, baking powder/soda.

IMG_3246

We actually forgot to take a picture of the final product because we were frantically scraping the sides to get it out! Eric was also in a rush to get to work. It was a total bust though!

~~~~

Then I decided to improve my day by making a green monster. Those are always good, right?

I finally took the plunge and tried the Prickly Pear.

IMG_3254

How to prepare: Cut of both ends. Slice or score a slit through the pear as shown above. Take the knife and carefully cut the skin away from the pear.

IMG_3261

I read that prickly pears had very hard seeds in them and boy were they right. You could chip your tooth on one of them if you weren’t careful. The taste of the pear was quite nice, although not something that really wowed my taste buds.

They are edible seeds though, so I decided to throw the whole thing in my green monster.

IMG_3267

There are 40 calories, 4 grams of fibre (nice!), and 1 gram of protein in a prickly pear.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup Almond breeze
  • 4 small organic kale leaves, steamed
  • 1 Prickly pear
  • 1 scoop Amazing Grass Wheat Grass
  • 1 T organic coconut oil
  • Ice

I thought my blender would blend the seeds, but boy was I wrong.

I totally broke my blender!!!!!!!!!!

It started leaking out of the bottom. My brand new blender that just got shipped back to me is leaking again.

The green monster itself was a total bust since the seeds were still floating about. I tried straining it, but it didn’t work too well. I had to take a sip- remove seeds from mouth- take a sip- repeat. No fun.

IMG_3272

Oye. So now I don’t know what to do regarding my blender! Me and Kitchen Aid Blenders just do not mix.

[Bad pun but I needed something to cheer me up!]

I took some pictures with my new macro lens to cheer me up. :)

IMG_3214 IMG_3193 IMG_3196 IMG_3197 IMG_3198 IMG_3206

Eric really didn’t have a great morning!

Yesterday he was weeding in the yard (in his new birthday shoes) and for whatever reason when he went to put on his shoes today before work, they were ORANGE. We’re not sure if it was pollen on them or just water stains, but they looked ruined. He was pretty upset about it. He ended up putting them in the wash on the gentle cycle.

Then he was going to leave for work and he realized he got all this dirt on his new jeans and he had to change them. He also couldn’t find his papers he needed for work. And he finally left and forgot his cell phone and had to come back! He was not in a good mood I tell you and I could see why. I tried to cheer him up and turn his mood around, but it wasn’t an easy task.

I started to think about something I read last night while in bed.

IMG_3280

I am currently reading this Marathon book by Hal Higdon. It has been a decent read so far. I disagree some of the things he says in the book, but I also think a lot of his words are helpful in some chapters.

At the end of the book, he gives a bunch of quotes from people who have run a marathon. It is a bunch of ‘advice’ if you will.

This one really touched me deeply, so I thought I would share it:

IMG_3282

I started to cry last night in bed when I read that! Don’t you just feel for Peggy and imagine the hardship she must have went through?

Stories like this really put things in perspective.

When we have a bad morning, or a bad day, or a bad month we need to keep the faith and remind ourselves of the big picture. Many of the daily annoyances that we encounter are just that- annoyances- and nothing more.

Yes, we had a crappy morning, but big whoop. It happens to everyone at some point.

I am going to make the rest of the day as awesome as it should be.

~~~~~

How do you turn a bad day around?

~~~~~

Ange Does Food Blogging

I have an announcement as I mentioned in yesterday’s post! Many of you have asked me if I could show you what a typical day of eats looks like for me. As you know I have never really photographed everything I eat, but I think it is time that I tried it out for a few days. I hope to do so for the next several days so you can get a glimpse into what average days of eating look like for me.

With all the festivities going on in the month of August, my eating has been all over the map and I have been grazing and snacking much more than I should. I think this will help me get back to my ‘happy place’- 3 meals and 2 snacks a day and stick to it.

Have a great Tuesday! :)

Angela_Signature

1 Alisa - Frugal Foodie September 1, 2009

Oh no Angela! What a horrible appliance morning! I am not a waffle pro, but I do make them a lot, and yes, you MUST spray with non-stick (I actually rub with a little coconut oil to grease) for ALL waffle irons. Most have a non-stick surface, but it is no match for the almighty waffle.

I think we have all been known to break a blender or two in our times. The price of being smoothie addicts I guess!

I hope your day keeps on looking brighter :)

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 1, 2009

Ahhh I suspected that! The instructions didnt say to sprsy it so I figured it didn’t need to be. Thanks for the tip, I hope the next one goes much more smoothly! :)

3 Whitney September 1, 2009

I hope the day gets better! :)

4 Sarah W. September 1, 2009

You MUST ALWAYS spray your waffle iron with nonstick spray!!!! I dont care if the packaging says its a nonstick iron – they always stick!!! the spray works so well1! goodluck

5 MarathonVal September 1, 2009

I spray my nonstick waffle iron with Pam anyway, otherwise the same thing happens!

Also, in case you didnt get my tweet, you HAVE to read the books First Marathons (there are at least 2 of them). If you want to be totally inspired AND cry your eyes out AND smile ear to ear at the same time, get these!!! I read them from the library when I was training for my first marathon, and I couldn’t get enough of them.

They are written in short chapters so it’s also easy to read just a few pages each day if you don’t have a lot of time. My favorite story was about an elderly couple where the husband (in his 80s) taught himself to run – which took years – so that he could push his wife across the NYC bridge in her wheelchair in the marathon! Amazing!

6 katherine September 1, 2009

Oh yes, you must spray the waffle iron!! I’m sure your next batch will be beautiful and I can’t wait to see the awesome pictures you’ll get with your new camera lense. The pictures in this post are absolutely spectacular!

Hope your afternoon is much better :)

7 Bonnie September 1, 2009

We always spray the waffle iron before we make waffles (not after every waffle. Usually every other). I ready Hal’s book before I ran my first marathon, and found the stories very inspiring.

8 brandi September 1, 2009

the day can only get better, right?

We always spray ours, too. better safe than sorry!

9 Erica September 1, 2009

I have lots of experience working with waffle irons (used to work at an ice cream shop and made waffle cones) and have found a good method. First you need to make sure that you heat up the iron to full heat before adding the batter. You can tell when its ready if the iron sizzles when you spray it with cooking spray (which is still necessary even if the appliance is non stick). Finally, once you have done this and added the batter you need to let the waffle sit for a good while before opening the iron. There really isn’t a precise timing (I usually let mine sit for at least 2-3min sometimes longer) to it because each iron varies. I would play around with yours a few times to see how long it takes to make the perfect waffle! I hope this is helpful and not to verbose :) Good luck!!

10 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 1, 2009

Hi Erica,

Thanks for the tips! Ours has a timer that dings when it is pre-heated and dings when the waffle is ready. I am going to try the spray method and see if that helps…I will also play around with cook time!

11 Christine September 1, 2009

I know what you mean about starting the day off badly. Our water pump was running continuously so my hubby shut the water off to go down the well to take a look. It is 11:42 am and I have had no water since 7 am. I’m cleaning out cupboards to take my mind off of this lol.

Waffles don’t work out well for me, but I love making jumbo pancakes in my 8 inch frying pans.

12 Mary September 1, 2009

I spray my waffle iron in between each waffle…it’s the only thing that keeps it from sticking!

Eric’s shoes might have turned orange from rust in your lawn. It’s some sort of a fungus that can infect the lawn. It may not look orange to the eye, but shoes, lawn mowers, and garden tools will be full of orange dust. We had it really bad 2 summers ago and lost half of the grass in our back yard. There are many univeristy websites that can tell you how to treat & prevent rust. Here is a link to one of them: http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci/landscap/pp950w.htm#rust

Good luck!

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 1, 2009

Oh my gosh who knew???? Thanks for the tip!!!!

14 Brynn September 1, 2009

The same thing happened to me when I tried my new waffle iron! I was all prepared for a nice weekend morning treat and instead spent a good 20 minutes picking the dough out of the little holes and ate cereal. So disappointing. As everyone else has said, spraying it does the trick but I don’t know why it claims to be non-stick.

15 Kristie Lynn September 1, 2009

Don’t feel too bad about the waffle fiasco – I have that same waffle maker and have ruined the first or second waffle of almost every batch I have made by forgetting to spray it! They turn out perfectly when you do though :)

16 Mara @ What's For Dinner September 1, 2009

Funny blender breaking story: I was making cranberry relish to stuff squash with a few years ago. cranberries got stuck in the blade, so I turned off the blender and stuck a wooden spoon in there to unstick them. Apparently, the blade was still going and the blender (a glass one, mind you) EXPLODED all over my counter. Pink stuff was EVERYWHERE!!!
Sorry your day stinks… I usually do something that makes me feel good, like lunch at a favorite restaurant or something.

17 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 1, 2009

You have no idea how many readers have told me the SAME wooden spoon story! lol

18 Kristen September 1, 2009

My mother wanted me to drink a smoothie she made that was full of wooden spoon because she didn’t want to waste it. her theory was that if i drank it out of a straw, I’d be able to catch the wood before I swallowed it…(most of it ended up down the drain, but i did have a bit of it with a spoon…)

19 Keeven September 1, 2009

One of those days again. Sounds like Lemony Snicket: A series of Unfortunate Events. Wish you a better day tomorrow!

20 Amy September 1, 2009

So sorry about the crappy morning. However, those pictures look AWESOME!!! I am having major lens envy right now and am most definitely putting that on my wish list.

Hope the day get’s better!

21 Jenny September 1, 2009

i can honestly say i’ve never used a waffle iron — everrrr.. so sorry it was a total fail :( i’m sure the waffle “scrapings” were divine though :)

22 tami September 1, 2009

you have to spray, i am sure someone else told you that already. heat it up right when you walk in the kitchen…i hope it works out ’cause I was hoping you would say you LOVED this one!!!

23 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) September 1, 2009

How do I turn a bad day around … I go shopping!!! Once in a while, a new shirt can do wonders :-) Or I call friends up and go for dinner!

I hope the rest of your day is better!

24 Paige @ Running Around Normal September 1, 2009

What a great way to looks at those little annoyances in life. Thanks so much for sharing that passage!

However, I’m still sorry that your blender broke…AGAIN!

25 Amy September 1, 2009

Ang, you should go out and procure yourself a cheapy Magic Bullet.

I’ve been using mine now for 4 years and it still works great for smoothies.

**Note** if you’ve seen the infomercial, it does not chop. It purées everything, but works perfect for smoothies!

26 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 1, 2009

Does it work for kale? IE: Does it make it smooth enough?

27 Kristen @ Simply Savor September 1, 2009

Oh no so sorry to hear your new blender broke! Staying positive and listening to happy music always helps me get my day back on track–hope yours gets better! :)

28 Maureen September 1, 2009

Boy what a morning you have had.
Speaking to your comment on the bigger picture. I have always been pretty optimistic but after my divorce I did begin to wonder as several other things happened in my life soon after to make me think why me. Well why not me, would I wish these things on others NO. For the last several years I always put things into perspective by asking ” in the grander scheme of things does this really matter or is it really important or serious?” Most often it is not, it can be a minor inconvenience or a little annoyance but is not worth spoiling the day over. Keep your positive attitude and by dinner you will have had a great day.

29 leslie September 1, 2009

aaahhhh your macro lens photos are so gooooooorgeous. so crisp, so clean. i am getting way too excited about this.

sorry you had a rough start to the day, but you definitely have the right attitude. a bad moment is a bad moment – it’s dwelling on it that turns the moment into a bad day, week, or year. it’s all about perspective!

30 Sarah September 1, 2009

I’ve been there before with the waffle iron and you must spray it! Hope it works out better next time :)

Enjoy the rest of your day, you definitely have your head in the right place!

31 Megzz @ Megzz Wins At Life September 1, 2009

Ang, I am sorry you are having such a bad day! I am not a waffle pro but my daddy is and he always sprays the pan with pam.. I feel like whole wheat is especially sticky because he always says “that crap food you eat always sticks” I am sorry you and Eric are having such bad days :-(

32 Bree September 1, 2009

I just got a Cuisinart blender…seems to work pretty well so far…that sucks…hope your day picks up!! :-D

33 Gertrude September 1, 2009

Loved the quote from the book. It’s similar to the reason why I’m training to eventually run one too. Cancer sucks. Big time.

When I’m feeling crappy, I like going for long walks and/or writing. Or just stoning in front of the TV with the cartoons playing =p

34 Nikki September 1, 2009

Awww…it’s always a bummer to start the day off like that, but as you said…it could’ve been worse!
I’m not a waffle pro by far (I’ve only used my Cuisinart Waffle Iron once!), but a similar thing happened to me…I think the issue was that I put too much waffle mix in and it all poured out the sides :(
I don’t recall spraying mine before using it, but maybe due to your vegan recipe it was extra sticky (no butter?!)
Good luck next time!
Its too bad that your Cactus Fruit experience wasn’t super outstanding…it looks like your fruit isn’t as red as they come- they taste SO great when they are dark dark red! Maybe next time!?
Have a wonderful rest of the day!

35 Lizzie September 1, 2009

I know they seem like a lot of money, but have you considered a Vitamix. We got one three months ago and (apart from when we’re away) have used it every day. Not to mention that my husband loves Green Monsters and is disappointed if we don’t have the ingredients for some!! I have also used it to make hummus and some sauces. Haven’t had any problems with it and a friend of mine has had hers for over 5 years with no problems. It is a lot of money, but maybe not if you look at it as an investment in your health and convenience.

I sometimes feel like you did when a bunch of things go wrong in the morning, but by the late afternoon it’s usually not that big a deal. And if it’s at night, a good sleep makes everything feel much better in the morning!! :) Thanks for the reminder!

36 Jenna September 1, 2009

Ugh, I am having a bad mid-day. Long story, but I got so angry, apparently my chest was blotchy. A co-worker came over to my desk and asked if I was okay because my chest and neck were blotchy. She was like, yea, that happens to me if I get really scared or upset. Yea… that was me. Bad ‘mid-day’, but this afternoon, I’m turning it around :)

I hope your day is going wonderful as well! And by the way, I can’t wait for you to try being a ‘food blogger’. Yay!

37 Beth @ CrossBorderCravings September 1, 2009

That is an awesome story from your book! I have always felt exactly the same as the author – there are better ways to get the benefits of a work-out without risking so much injury. But I can totally see how a marathon is a good outlet in a tough time and so much better than other ways of dealing with emotion – eating, drinking etc. Thanks for sharing! Puts things in a new light.

38 Lori September 1, 2009

Wow, Gorgeous pictures with the new lens! I’m really looking forward to seeing all your new pictures. :)

39 Claire September 1, 2009

I’m sorry you guys have had a crappy day.It seems you are keeping your head up,though.Good for you!Just know you are helping everyone else who is having a bad day( week,month,etc.) turn it around with your GLOW!:-)

40 Chloe September 1, 2009

I blame it being Tuesday for your bad day! I hate Tuesdays, they are right in the beginning of the week, the weekend seems so far away, and they’re not exciting at all.

Although your pictures look AWESOMELY AMAZING!!! Love what you can do with the macro lens, that is pretty cool.

Hope your day gets better!

41 EatingRD September 1, 2009

oh dear! I hate mornings like that. I had one a while ago when I dropped our omelet all over the burners. I always spray the waffle iron and make sure to have some kind of lube in the mix too. I loved that quote, it’s so very very true. I can get so caught up in little things, when it could be so much worse :)

42 EatingRD September 1, 2009

Oh and I forgot!!! I LOVE the macro lens!!!!! Mind me asking what kind it is, I want to save up :) looks so wonderful, that cheers me up just looking at it!

43 Kristin September 1, 2009

Thats a great way of thinking about a bad morning! And I always spray the wafflemaker when I use it!!

xo
K

44 Sally September 1, 2009

Gorgeous photos! I have never spray my waffle iron but I usually include oil in the batter so it doesn’t stick. Although once I tried making almond-flour waffles and those were a sticky mess!

45 Pam September 1, 2009

Your new photographs are beautiful! I also completely agree with your writing about a few bad things happening just being a few bad things happening. We focus way too much energy on dwelling on the bad when we really need to just let go. Letting go is so freeing! I hope that makes some sense and doesn’t sound crazy!

46 cindy September 1, 2009

I went through 3 Kitchen Aid Blenders, I don’t think they are made for heavy duty. call the company, again!

47 Laura @ Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness September 1, 2009

I literally cried my way through that book! Hal is so inspiring, I really hope to meet him one day.

To turn a bad day around – actually today kinda sucks, I couldn’t fall asleep until 4AM this morning – I grab a huge iced coffee, try to watch a couple funny YouTube videos (Baby Panda sneezing, anyone?) and force myself to think positively. No matter how bad I think things may be, they are always worse for someone else in the world and I am darn lucky.

48 Susan September 1, 2009

Ohman, that sucks about your blender!! I would have cried. But I’m pretty emotional when I’m hungry :P

When I’m having a rough day, I take a step back, and try to focus on the things that matter. So, for example, if my blender breaks tomorrow, it may suck at the time. But there are more important things in my day (like going to work, being healthy enough to go to work) that make that one incident not seem like just a big thing.

49 Lainie September 1, 2009

I’m so sorry you’re having a bad day!!! My blender started leaking out the bottom the other day too; I found I just really had to screw it back together tightly, and it fixed it. Have you tried that??

When I have a rough day, I just try to remember what you said: in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn’t matter. It’s all about the big picture.

50 Katrina M September 1, 2009

So sorry to hear about the bad day!! I have those sometimes too, haha. Thanks so much for sharing that story from the marathon book (I live 2 hours from Madison! haha, that made me smile)…. As I am training for my half marathon, that rings so true to me as well. People ask me why I’m doing it, and how they could never imagine doing it either. A year and a half ago I weighed 270 pounds. Today I am just under 200. I never would have though I could get to this point, or that my body would be able to do all that I have put it through during the last year and a half. I’m running this half marathon just to be able to say that I did it. To prove that anyone can do anything if they put their minds to it and try hard enough. Yeah it may take me 3 hours, but so what? I still am doing it, and that’s a lot more than a lot of people can say.

I hope your night goes better than your day! :)

51 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 1, 2009

Not that you don’t know this already, but girlfriend, just get a Vitamix. Here’s the logic, for the 2 Kitchen Aid’s you’ve already gone thru, you could have bought one V. Granted maybe you didnt have to pay for the 2nd one but still….For some people the difference between 2 and 4 hundred dollars is an earthshattering sum and is the difference between even buying something and not. But…for you, I sense it’s probably not. Sorry to get all up in your financial biz-nass :) Anyway though, I debated about mine for oh…5 years. And suffered thru a ridic amount of inferior appliances and in the end spent more than if I just got the V straight off. I’ve had it a little less than a year and it’s changed my life, for the better, and I am creating things I never could have imagined. Helped me go high raw, all vegan, that’s for sure. And get my hubs off dairy and dairy ice cream. Anyway, my .02 for you :)

As for your crappy day, we all have them. Way to go to keep ya chin up and not let the a.m. totally blow the rest of your day!

52 Pam (Highway to Health) September 1, 2009

Wow that new lens is amazing!!

Sorry you are having a bad day!

53 'Dee September 1, 2009

LOVE the photos with the new lens – very crisp.

So sorry you had a rough day! And the blender! Ack! If you are looking at switching brands, I replaced my old cheapie just a little while ago because it went totally paws up. I ended up buying a Breville (about USD $200 on sale at Williams-Sonoma) and LOVE it. Tough kale stems do not stand a chance and it’s very quiet to boot.

54 Jen September 1, 2009

Aha, finally a chance to sing the praises of my blender! We have a Hamilton Beach “wave action” blender and the thing rocks. My MIL picked it up on sale at Cdn Tire for us for about $40 – I’m pretty sure they’re usually $80. http://tinyurl.com/nwa3ym We’ve used this thing pretty much daily since June 1st to make 2 green monsters each morning and this thing absolutely pulverizes the whole flax seeds we add to our drinks. No leakage so far and it even has a dispensing spout if you choose to use it (I don’t – I find it easier to pour). Looks like Cdn Tire has them on for $45 right now – money well spent if you ask me!

55 Kath September 1, 2009

Ange your photos are 110% more beautiful with that lens!!!!!!

56 Laura (On the Threshold of Greatness) September 1, 2009

Get a Blendtec blender! Seriously. I LOVE mine. You use your blender enough that the price should be justified. Think approx. $1/day for a year? (that’s how I justified it ;) ) Last night, I blended whole strawberries, romaine, and sprouts with NO liquid and it had no problem making it all perfectly smooth. I’ve also done whole apples, cucumbers, nuts… I could go on. :) I worked at Starbucks for a few years and we used Blendtecs. I figured if they could go for hours a day there, they should be more than okay for home use.

57 Jas September 2, 2009

“Don’t let a bad moment affect how you feel the rest of the day. If you ‘mess up’ and eat a doughnut for breakfast, forget about it and put it behind you. We have the power within us to turn it all around.”

Thanks for reminding me :) The past few weeks have been bad, in terms of eating and work wise. But, I’m going to turn it around from now onwards.

58 Audrey September 3, 2009

Your photos are beyond gorgeous! I hope they put a big smile on your face!Y