My Half Marathon Training Progress

At the beginning of August, I started to enter in my mileage into a calendar. Since I was two months away from my half marathon, I wanted to pay closer attention to my training.

This is what the month of August looked like:

half thumb   My Half Marathon Training Progress

[If you’d like to see my training before August, check it out on my run page.]

Last week I realized that I went way over the 10% increase rule, so I decided to make this week a fall back week, where I would decrease my mileage. So I focused a lot on cross training and stuck to 2 runs.

I have never been one to follow a strict plan, so that is why you don’t see much filled in on September’s calendar. All that I have planned is my weekly long run goal and my overall total mileage goal. As for what days I will be running those miles, I will decide that when the week comes! ;)

I feel like my training is coming along really well though. Every once and a while I think back to my 2 month long injury and it is almost hard to believe that at one point I thought I may never run again. It was such a sad time for me, but it also taught me so much. I now know that if I treat my body properly and with some TLC, I can do some pretty awesome things.

Fast forward to today.

I will admit, I was not a happy camper this morning. I guess it is the hormones that get the best of me, but I was feeling really blah and just overall down in the dumps. The thought of strapping on all my gear and having a fun run seemed a bit daunting, so I decided to spend the morning working on business stuff and then see how I felt in the afternoon.

Last night I bought some IT Band Wraps at Running Room because I have been having some problems with my knee sleeves lately. They are giving me a heat rash and I am getting red, itchy welts/bumbs underneath the sleeves. It is driving me crazy! So I thought I would give these IT Band Wraps a whirl. I had a gift card for Running Room, so I figured it was a win win.

After I put them on I noticed that my knees felt much lighter, but I wasn’t sold on them yet. I brought my knee sleeves in a bag just in case because I didn’t want to have to turn around.

img 3070 thumb   My Half Marathon Training Progress

After getting my moleskin, electrical tape, sunglasses, sunscreen, hat, water, gel, etc. We were off!

The run (Murder Hill route):

• Distance: 9 miles
  • Duration: 1 hour 26 mins 59 seconds
  • Avg pace: 9:38 min/mile
  • Max pace: 7:34 min/mile (bug was chasing me)
  • Max HR: 169 bpm
  • Avg HR: 145 bpm

I decided today that I would only stop and walk when I wanted to and I ended up stopping 3 times for about 30-60 seconds each time. At the 6 mile mark, I had some homemade gel (recipe coming soon) to give me a burst of energy.

The run was pretty challenging today because it was really windy out. I was also doing Murder Hill.

My IT Bands seemed to do ok until the 8:40 mile mark and my right knee started to hurt so I stopped and put my knee sleeve on for the rest of the way. I definitely don’t think my problem is my IT Band, I think I just need overall knee support which the knee sleeves give me much more of. I’m not sure what to do about the heat rash though! Do I just have to deal with it? Get new knee sleeves? I’m not sure.

All and all I am quite happy with my run today. Aside from the knee hurting at the end, I felt strong, capable, and well-trained. I know that my cardio is definitely there, so from here on out until mile 13.1 it will be more of a mental game than anything. Last nigth Eric and I were talking about my half marathon (28 days) and I started to get so pumped up! I love the thrill of racing. :)

After my run I immediately gulped down 10 grams of delicious protein:

img 3071 thumb   My Half Marathon Training Progress

Told you I gulped it!

I also had a huge plate of leftover zucchini spaghetti:

img 2613 thumb   My Half Marathon Training Progress

I LOVE spaghetti!!!!!!

img 2605 thumb   My Half Marathon Training Progress

And a Peanut Butter Banana Bomb muffin (sans the bomb- all out!)

img 2556 thumb1   My Half Marathon Training Progress

~~~~~~

Thanks for all of you who wrote your fitness bucket list yesterday. It was so motivating to read and gave me lots of ideas! I keep looking at mine on the wall and it makes me so excited. Sooooo many fun fitness things I want to do in this life!

Coming up on OSG:

• I will be showing you my homemade energy gel recipe. It is quick, delicious, and CHEAP!
  • Wedding Anniversary festivities- We’re going out to 2 restaurants this weekend. I also can’t wait to show you the gift I made Eric. It was so much fun.
  • Prickly Pear, anyone?
  • A new delicious food product review

Today’s question:

I am taking Eric to this super fun and highly recommended vegetarian restaurant called Fresh in Toronto this weekend. The only problem is- I can’t decide what to get! They have tons of Green drinks, elixirs, wraps, stir-frys. Oh my gosh. I want to have an idea of what I am getting before I go or I will seriously take 30 minutes to decide! Help me choose!

angela signature thumb63   My Half Marathon Training Progress

I learned that it is the weak who are cruel, and that gentleness is to be expected only from the strong.
- Leo Rosten

Majl August 29, 2009

baby energy bowl or super protein salad with sweet ginger tea! you’ll love it; they make the best rice and marinated tofu.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 29, 2009

mmmm sounds SO good!

Leila August 29, 2009

I love Fresh, it’s such a great restaurant, you’ll love it.

I suggest trying one of their bowls, it’s something you won’t find anywhere else. I’ve had the warrior and the energy always with soba, but both were amazing.

Also, if you do get a bowl, get a baby. It alone is huge!

have fun, can’t wait to hear what you think.

Jolene August 29, 2009

I would get the detox cocktail and the warrior bowl :-) Looks like a great place!

sarah (ghost world) August 29, 2009

looks wonderful!

holiday wrap or california salad are my picks :)

i love menus!

MelissaNibbles August 29, 2009

Thank you for sharing your training plan. I have trouble sticking to a set plan because I enjoy adding a few miles here and there or using the elliptical if my legs are feeling sore. I like the idea of just putting in the long runs and a projected number of miles. I’m off to play around with my running plan right now! Thanks for the idea.

RunToTheFinish August 29, 2009

too funny I had a GM, then some Anne’s mac n’cheese with veggies post run today!

Knee issues are definitely scary, but totally possible to overcome. I’m sure you are still doing strengthening exercises and you’ve got the right mental attitude to get through what is sometimes pain brought on by our brains…hey it’s weird to run that far! :) and we do it anyways

Susan August 29, 2009

First, my training plans are basically the same. I don’t like sticking to a set schedule, so I just plan out how much of what I want to do each week, then decide each day from there. I hate feeling like I “have” to go for a run, I rather be out there because I feel like it :)

Secondly, holy moly that’s an awesome menu! DROOL over everything that’s on there! Personally, I would go for a veggie burger and a juice, but that’s just my tastes. I know there’s no way I’d be able to recreate either at home.

Have fun!! :D

Eri August 29, 2009

When a girl on my volleyball team got a rash on her leg from something she was allergic to this girl suggested putting olive oil on it- so she did and it cleared right up.I dont know if it will help a heat rash, but worth a try if you have it on hand I guess. Also, are the knee sleeves getting really sweaty? maybe the sweating irritates your legs.

p.s. the muffin looks delis!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 29, 2009

hmm I might have to try this olive oil trick out!

Yes the sleeves get sweaty- that is the problem with them…they DON’T breathe! I hate them, but they are the only thing that has prevented my knee pain from happening. I’d rather a rash than pain, but surely there has to be a solution?!

Maria August 29, 2009

Fresh is a great little casual spot! I love their bowls (Green Goddess with power house sauce is my fave) – but the Baby Warrior is awesome, too. They make great sweet potato fries.

As for juices – ‘All Green’ is my staple drink there, with an apple added for a little sweetness. It feels like drinking health. The Susur (apple/rasperry/beet) is also awesome, if very beet-y.

The only sad thing about Fresh is the lack of organic veggies, especially greens in their juices. Oh well.

Have fun!

Sana August 29, 2009

Vaseline anyone? I am obsessed in case you have not read my new post. It might do the trick :)

Karen August 29, 2009

I’ve used the same brand of IT band wraps. I had ITBS in both legs and had limited success with the wraps at first. A far more experienced runner (he’s a running coach) suggested wearing the wraps a little differently. Instead of wearing them right above the knee, as shown in the picture, he suggested wearing them so they wrap just under the patella. I tried that and I finally, finally found relief! It seemed so counter-intuitive, but it worked.

Anyway, I don’t know what kind of knee pain you have since I’m fairly new to this blog, but if you suspect IT band issues, it’s worth a try.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 29, 2009

Pardon my ignorance, but where is the patella located?

Lauren August 29, 2009

Your patella is your knee bone- the big circular one (technical term :). haha, sorry…that’s the only way I could think of describing it! Not very scientific :P

Karen August 30, 2009

Yup, Lauren was right. So you would want to wear the straps so that they hit just under the kneecap, pretty snugly. :)

Claire August 29, 2009

I see your dilema about what to order:-)I would have a field day with just the apps.hehe…the super protein salad looks yummy,though.I wish they had places like that where I live.ENJOY!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 29, 2009

I can’t wait to go to FRESH!!!!!!!!

Majl August 30, 2009

And you’ll want to go back again and again. When I left TO, I bought all their cookbooks and make them at home now! Enjoy and report back!

kristin August 29, 2009

Fresh is the best resturant ever! You can’t go wrong with anything you order :)

P.S. They have the best shopping bags there ever – check them out while you are there – they are called “baggu’s” they are amazing for grocery shopping and hold so much! :)

Have fun!

Kristin

SnowKat August 29, 2009

From Fresh… (wish we had one here!) I was hungry before I started looking at the menu and now my tummy is growling.. haha

BEACH – $12 on brown basmati rice / $14 on soba noodles
grilled red pepper, zucchini & sweet potato with avocado,
sun-dried tomatoes, sunflower sprouts, olive oil, tamari,
lemon & mixed herbs
with goat cheese or grilled tofu steaks add $2

POWER HOUSE – $12 on brown basmati rice /$14 on soba noodles
avocado, chick peas & grilled tofu steaks with toasted nuts &
seeds, sunflower sprouts, tomato, red onion & spicy tahini sauce

Lauren August 29, 2009

Oooh, Fresh is sooo good! I love their sweet potato fries! :P

Rosey Rebecca August 29, 2009

Wow! Everything on that menu looks great! I wish we had some place like that around where I live! I’d probably go for one of the salads! Yum!

Allison August 29, 2009

For the knee rash–try Vaseline/petroleum jelly. And be sure to rinse the knee sleeves regularly. I have a neoprene brace and usually I toss it in the shower after I run so I can rinse it out.
And maybe something like aloe vera after your run or some sort of ointment/balm if the rash flares up?
Hope that helps!

Marcia August 29, 2009

Thank you for giving us your half marathon training update. I was just thinking about you today for that reason. I am considering running a half marathon in early November. I ran slightly more than 7 miles today (7.3) in 75 mins.

So a couple of questions:
How do you fuel for your long runs? I tend to want to leave early, which is a problem.

Have you ever had a problem with headaches? The last two weeks, I run in the am (done around 9 am), and then around noon, 1 or 2 pm, I get a splitting headache that is nearly impossible to get rid of. I want to do this thing, but not if it means 9 more debilitating Saturdays between now and then.

(I also have a killer hill, which is the last part of my run each time…I walked 3 times for 60 sec – planned – and a fourth time up that killer hill – unplanned).

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 29, 2009

If I am planning a run first thing in the morning, I make sure to eat lots of carbs the day before- especially for dinner. In the morning, I tend to have either a green monster or a glo bar before a run.

During the run, I am now bringing with me my homemade energy gels (recipe to come) for anything over 6 miles.

I haven’t had a problem with headaches, but my gut instinct is that you are dehydrated. Of course, I have no idea how much you are drinking though, so if you are drinking an adequate amount just disregard that. Youdon’t want to over-hydrate either. Another idea, is the sun. Sometimes when I am in the sun for a long time I get a headache. Could that be it?

Marcia August 29, 2009

Well, I try to hydrate well…but it could be dehydration, or the sun, or the food. I think next week I will try to hydrate more before the run and maybe take a little gatorade with me. See how that goes. Eventually a second cup of tea and some ibuprofen did the trick.

This whole running more than an hour thing is new to me.

Kristen August 30, 2009

It could also be that you are getting dehydrated and then taking in too much water or gatorade right after your run. I can’t remember if it was on Frayed Laces or the Running laminator (both show up as the first hit of you google them), but one of them posted a really good explanation on how when you get a little dehydrated, the best thing is to slowly rehydrate. The splitting headaches can come because you re-hydrate too quicky and your cells (especially the ones in your brain and head) get too full of fluid without enough electrolytes. They get so excited to see water that they over do it.

Sarah August 29, 2009

I say just order whatever you are in the mood for at the time, it sounds like a great place!

Good luck with the half marathon, I am sure you will do great. Great run today :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 29, 2009

Enjoy your anniversary dinner nights out! How fun!! As for knee sleeves, bands, wraps, etc….nothing ever works just right for me and I find nothing is better than “something”. Plus, usually the things I try irritate my skin so on top of a bone/muscle issue, I have skin irritation and it really sucks :) So yeah, I hear you. Sorry no real suggestions. Other than maybe try to back off your training a smidge to give your body time to rest/recover. Or, maybe increase healing vits/minerals like zinc or glucoasmine, stuff like that.

Leah @ Simply Fabulous August 29, 2009

Enjoy Fresh!! Looks GREAT. The veggie/pesto burrito sounds awesome. I love pesto.

Great training plan…like I said in my email you have done awesome. You should be proud of your progress!!

Carolyn August 29, 2009

Wish I could help you with the menu choice, but I’ve never been there. However, my friend works there and she says that pretty much everything is amazing – I’d say you’re safe no matter what you choose :)

Paige@ RunningAroundNormal August 29, 2009

Nice job on the 9 miles! Your post-run spaghetti meal looks great.

Deva (Voracious Vorilee) August 30, 2009

Thank you for sharing your training schedule :-) I’m excited to read about your homemade energy goo!

Jane August 30, 2009

I would try olive oil the day before the run. The day of the run no way. It makes you sweat more. From having casts a lot and wearing wraps the only true solution I have ever found was corn starch. My grannie told me to use it. It is a wonder product for heat rash and this includes butt heat rash on babies. My kids always got heat rash in summer, knees, butts and elbows and the corn starch took out the pain for them and cleared the rash. Also if you are having a bath some baking soda will help clear up heat rash.
I would try the corn starch first as it helps to wick away sweat and even prevents sweat. It was a god send in my leg casts in summer.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2009

ohhh cornstarch what a great idea! I will try this for sure.

'Dee August 30, 2009

I was about to post the cornstarch thing, too! I used to have to wear “drysuits” (like a wetsuit, only totally sealed off so no water actually enters your suit) for volunteer work that I did and I got such a rash where the neoprene rubbed my skin. Cornstarch powder was a lifesaver.

Oxidaisy August 30, 2009

Hey Angela!
Last year I did a 4-day walking event, I walked 50k a day! It was in summer and can imagine that many people have heat rashes under their socks at some point.I already had some during training and I founda homeopathic lotion that helped me a lot to PREVENT it. It is called calendulan and it is supposed to help you with minor burns and grazes. I found that it really cured my skin fast, but that it also prevented most of the rash if I put it on before I went walking.
I don’t know about Canada, but in the Netherlands it is called calendulan and the active ingredient is calendula. But you might try anything that is available that helps with burns.

Good luck with that! And what a luxury dilemma: what to eat at the restaurant where eveything is good! I haven’t seen it but my advice: order something you don’t know together with something you will definately like. Or make a deal with eric to each orde something different and split the plates so you can taste even more dishes. Have fun!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2009

I am going to look for this in Canada! Thanks :)

Shannon August 30, 2009

Everything looks so good! I would love that place.

I haven’t had that issue with my knee sleeves. I wonder if you are allergic to the material. Perhaps another brand? The olive oil idea sounds interesting. You’ll have to report back if you try it.

AGS August 30, 2009

Not related to the post, but I thought you would find this interesting: http://www.forbes.com/2006/02/11/rich-live-longer_cx_mh_money06_0214livelonger.html

Look forward to the restaurant review!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2009

That is really interesting! I like the point about the mental stress of it too.

Gaby August 30, 2009

Have you ever thought about going to a physical therapist for your knees. I am one down in the States and a lot of time the knee pain your describing can be caused by muscle imbalances, especially in the hips in women. A PT could get you on a targeted strengthening and flexibility program as well as doing some deep tissue massage to help release your IT bands. They can also look closely at your gait when you run to see if you need a different type of shoes. I have gotten patients out of braces and pain free within months if they stick to their exercises once they are discharged from therapy.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2009

I have been to a sports doctor before but never to a PT. I really should make the time to go. The only thing I am concerned about is coverage since I don’t have a health plan right now (only thru Eric), so I have to see what his plan covers for me. I would LOVE to learn some strengthening moves for sure!!!

Amy August 30, 2009

I second this! Seeing a PT is probably a good idea. I wore knee sleeves for two runs and absolutely hated them…really, they were more of a “crutch” and don’t do anything to help prevent knee problems. Knee problems can step from weak quads, weak hips, weak IT bands…you name it. There are DOZENS of strengthening exercises to do. I was put on a rehab plan of strengthening exercises and was able to fully recover.

Kristen August 30, 2009

You could try dusting the inside of your sleeves with baby powder or something like that so that it can absorb a little of the sweat instead of having it sit there forever…

That restaurant looks delicious! I hope you guys had a great meal!

Katrina M August 31, 2009

hi angela!! i just wanted to drop a line… i’ve been reading your site for awhile now, and i think you’re very fun and informational! i’m training for a half as well, mine is sept 20 (a week before yours only!!). i run really slow, but it’s been a long journey to get to where i’m at and i’m proud of myself. good luck with your run!!! :)

Pete October 12, 2009

About your pasta, it looks delicious, but I prefer to eat more natural and less processed foods. Let me share with you what I do: I base my nutrition -specially 3 days before a race- on steamed vegetables, baked potatoes, whole rice and beans, fruits, fish, nuts, and steamed platains. This foods give you the fat, protein, and overall the carbs (complex carbs that is) that your body needs to face a race.
About your training log, I would have liked to have seen more miles in those 7 weeks prior to your race; in some cases you ran only once a week, to build a better mileage base, and to get your body used to running longer distances. It would have been better for you to run more 9miles, 10 milers, 11 milers, and even 13 milers. Every week you should do some sprint training, some hill training, and some easy mileage besides your weekely long run.
Nice talking to you…. you have a beautiful cat; it looks like the cat I had when I was a kid.
By the way, what was your time in the 1/2 Marathon?