Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Bomb Muffins

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 22, 2009

Oh dear me.

IMG_2597

Dear, dear, me.

This morning I was in the mood to make muffins. It is dark and grey outside and I wanted comfort food. Nothing spells comfort food more than banana and peanut butter. Warm, gooey, sweet, and packed with nutrients.

Here is a good picture showing you the power of liquid in a muffin mix.

The right side muffin was created with only 1/4 cup hemp milk in the batter, while the left side was using 1/2 cup hemp milk. Look how much more it rises with more milk!!!

IMG_2554

IMG_2556

Want to know another cool fact?

1 egg costs around 25 cents while 1 ‘flax egg’ costs around 2 cents! It can be much cheaper to bake with vegan ingredients.

Cutting off the hat:

IMG_2585

Hi, my name is Angela and I am addicted to swirling things.

IMG_2580

IMG_2582

Oh no,  the bomb is exploding!

IMG_2590

These. taste. so. amazing. I. can’t. handle. it.

IMG_2595

I can’t imagine any better way to spend my Saturday morning.

Angela_Signature

gina (fitnessista) August 22, 2009 at 12:20 pm

those look GLORIOUS! thanks for the recipe :D

Erin August 22, 2009 at 12:22 pm

These look soooo good! You are my go to lady for delicious baking recipes now :)

Leilani January 16, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Angela,
You are turning me in to one “Queen Baker” I just made your Banana Bomb Muffins, (which yep were da bomb:) I have made your “Breakfast Cakes” 3 x this week – I made your Immune Stir fry” the list goes on I have made so many of your dishes you would be amazed (oatmeal with frozen veggies, sauce and humuus, your layered bean dish etc. I will be making the pb&j cups tomorrow. All I can say is “thank you”, You are truly talented when it comes to baking & writing and just being engaging. I have always liked to throw things together but you have definitely broadened my horizons. You Angela are the bomb!!!!!! From my husband to myself to my little girl, all you hear after making one of your fab dishes is “wow” that was yummy!!!!!!!!!!

Mary August 22, 2009 at 12:38 pm

OMG…I can’t wait to make these! They look so YUMMY!

Marina August 22, 2009 at 12:38 pm

omg. I want it. NOW. unfortunately, although I have all the ingredients, my muffin pan is far far away… :(

EatingRD August 22, 2009 at 1:01 pm

yummy yummy yummy! peanut butter and banana is the best combo, love the flax eggs!

Susan August 22, 2009 at 1:03 pm

I can’t wait until it’s not scorching hot here and I can use my oven again! This is definitely going to be the next batch of muffins I make (swirl included ;) )

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 22, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Marina- You could make a cake out of it…and then maybe drizzle the filling on top?

Brandi C August 22, 2009 at 1:29 pm

OMG Ange! You are SO creative =] Looks SO DELICIOUS, can’t wait to make some!

TorontoGirloutWest August 22, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Do you use flax meal or seeds to make your vegan egg? Curious! :)

VeggieGirl August 22, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Beyond scrumptious!!!!! Share?? :D

Jolene August 22, 2009 at 1:53 pm

They look so amazing too! I printed the recipe and am going to try making these! I love the new look of your blog!

Jen August 22, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Angela –

I just pulled these out of the oven, and they are fantastic! I topped mine with Heath toffee chips. Yum. Thanks for the recipe.

One question – is there anyway to make the topping (or filling) less runny? What could be added? I’d like it to be more of a frosting consistency, so I could use the filling as a topping. Let me know of any ideas.

Thanks!!

Jen

Katerina August 22, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Yum! I make a banana and peanut butter muffin too, but it does use an egg. I will need to try the flax egg next time, they are one of my absolute favorite muffins to make.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 22, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Yummy! I am GF so would sub out the flours. Flax goo for eggs is awesome, isn’t it! The filling could be tweaked in so many different ways. Wheels turning…thanks!

Kristen @ Simply Savor August 22, 2009 at 3:52 pm

that looks sooo good! putting this on my “to make” list! thanks angela!

angieinatlanta August 22, 2009 at 4:04 pm

I definitely just had a foodgasm…

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) August 22, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Oh my goodness these look like the most amazing muffins ever! You come up with the best recipes! Thank you for always sharing!

Pam (Highway to Health) August 22, 2009 at 5:02 pm

Those look absolutely amazing!

Ellen @ Peace in Motion August 22, 2009 at 5:28 pm

can not wait to make these!!

Chloe (Naturally Frugal) August 22, 2009 at 5:32 pm

Loving all the foodie posts, this one looks especially amazing. I bet they would freeze well too!

Question – I’ve noticed you don’t go to the gym. Do you have a membership or just use the treadmill and at-home exercises during the dark and dreary months? I can’t decide if I want to let go of mine!

JB August 22, 2009 at 5:36 pm

this post made my mouth water! those look incredible! and since they’re vegan, i can actually fantasize about eating one. haha!

Shannon August 22, 2009 at 5:49 pm

I had no idea that flax and water can replace an egg! Wow! Those really look amazing. It’s like a science lab in your kitchen finding what makes things rise.

Megan August 22, 2009 at 6:03 pm

Those look SO good! I did not know flax & water were an egg replacement. How cool is that? Enjoy your Saturday and your PB banana bombs :)

WholeBodyLove August 22, 2009 at 6:14 pm

I am going to have make a new favorites folder just for glo recipes! They are to die for and I really appreciate the nutritional info! Thanks!

jess in NYC August 22, 2009 at 6:17 pm

I think you out did yourself with these! They look ahh-mazing!

Organic Ashley August 22, 2009 at 6:56 pm

We are so alike. I laughed when you wrote that it was the perfect saturday morning. I spent my day off on Wed. baking all day. It was fantastic. :)

Morgan August 22, 2009 at 7:34 pm

OMG – those look like the most delicious things in the world right now. I’m not a baker but you just may have inspired me!

Kiersten August 22, 2009 at 10:27 pm

Wow, I love you for that recipe. Those look amazing! Banana and PB are my top 2 favorite foods.

Lainie August 22, 2009 at 11:17 pm

Angela, those look TO DIE FOR. Oh my, I don’t know if I could make those because I think I’d eat every.single.one. YUM! Also – just catching up on reading after a week long hiatus without my computer – but wanted to let you know I love the new look of your site! Looks wonderful!

Marina August 23, 2009 at 12:53 am

thanks ang, the cake sounds like a good idea, although portion controlling would be hard :D
do you think these muffins would… remain muffins if I baked them only in paper cups?

I’m not sure…my guess is yes they would turn out ok. It’s worth a shot!

Tyler (Raspberry Runner) August 23, 2009 at 2:46 am

pure genius. those look amazing!!!!!

sarah (ghost world) August 23, 2009 at 6:22 am

muffins look amazing!!! wow.

i reviewed your glo bar on my site this AM :) LOVED it!!!

Emily August 23, 2009 at 9:38 am

Hi Angela,

This is my first time commenting, so hello! :)

Those muffins look amazing!! Interesting fact about the flax eggs… where do you find those? Would WF’s carry them, you think?

Aaron @ CrossBorderCravings August 23, 2009 at 9:47 am

Those look soooooo good!!!! I can’t wait to make some of my own :D

april August 23, 2009 at 10:30 am

Holy moly Angela your a genius!!

Katharina August 23, 2009 at 5:20 pm

I literally mouthed the word “oh my god” to myself when I saw this!

Kristin August 23, 2009 at 6:18 pm

I swear I read you blog and immediately want to go to the store and buy stuff to make your recipes! Too bad I already went this morning!

Hangry Pants August 23, 2009 at 8:18 pm

these look amazing! i love love love the use of the flax egg. I started doing it one day when I ran out of eggs, but now I do it all the time – even when I have eggs. :D

Caroline August 23, 2009 at 9:21 pm

Ummmm…I need these in my life ASAP! Thanks for sharing :)

Katie August 24, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Yummy, yummy, yummy! These sound so good. I can’t wait to make them!!

Anna August 28, 2009 at 3:09 pm

These look so good! I can’t wait to make them myself.

Emily, “flax eggs” are not real eggs, but just ground flax seeds mixed with water (as you see in Angela’s recipe, too). The mixture works as a binder much like eggs, and is used as an egg substitute in many vegan recipes. WF or almost any grocery store should certainly have flaxseeds. ;-)

Alice August 30, 2009 at 8:09 pm

you are a baking genius!!
YUM.

Chelsea October 26, 2009 at 1:00 am

Hey Angela
This recipe looks soo good. Is there anything I could substitute for the coconut oil? Another kind of oil?

Also..any other replacements for agave? Maple syrup is so expensive here to use 1/2 cup…and so is agave..honey maybe? Half honey half maple syrup? Any advice would be appreciated..I am dying to make these!

maria October 26, 2009 at 2:26 am

Yummy recipe! Will try sometime.

outoftheoven February 23, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Yum! These look delicious! Do you think you could sub other types of cooking oil for the coconut oil?

Tinka July 25, 2010 at 12:54 am

I’ve made four different adaption batches of these throughout the week and have LOVED all of them!!
I’m not a big fan of soy yogurt so I didn’t do the filling, although have enjoyed some peanut butter spread with them.

One version had dark chocolate chips included.
One had a heap of sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds for a really hearty muffin.
I also have been using extra virgin olive oil as I didn’t have any coconut oil on hand.
The nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla can all be adapted to suit your taste, aswell as replacing the Agave with Maple Syrup or Honey (though people may argue that this is not vegan).

Love love love the recipe! Thankyou so much Angela. x

Mel August 6, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I accidently ate 3 in one go. My dog went wild and managed to get at the first bowl of the bomb and ate the lot! She loved it!

Kate March 19, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I made these as a Sunday morning treat for my husband a few days ago and they went over extremely well. I made a silly mistake that actually turned out to be a blessing. Since it’s just the two of us, I decided to half the recipe- except I forgot to half the banana… I realized this about 20 seconds after there was nothing I could do about it, theres no un-mashing bananas. Anyways, instead of only making 6 like I had imagined it would, there were 10 scrumptious muffins that were scarfed down within a matter of 30 minute. Although it was my first time trying this recipe, I think that accidentally having 3 bananas instead of 1.5 helped to make them more airy and sweet, as well as nutritious :) Thanks for the recipe, it’s definitely a keeper!

Julia May 16, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Do you think these could be frozen with the filling in them??

Gilda August 20, 2017 at 11:28 am

They sound yummy. But, when I make a batch of muffins, Iet them cool, then wrap each one and freeze them.
If I put the filling in each one, could it be frozen?
If not, it’s unlikely the filling would keep long enough in the fridge until it was used up.
I don’t eat a muffin daily.