How To Prepare A Dragon Fruit in 30 Seconds

Hey guys! As you can see I changed my blog design today! It surprisingly wasn’t too hard for me to do it. I still have lots left to do, but you get the general idea! :) I am quite happy with it so far. I was going for a ‘glowing’ theme and didn’t think the only blah blue fit the bill!

~~~~~~

IMG_2527

I’m pretty sure if I died today, I would die with a big grin on my face.

For I have discovered true bliss in a fruit.

In spirit of trying out new fruit (see fig here and lychee here), I picked up this Dragon Fruit yesterday at the grocery store. At over $3 a pop, I said, it better damn well taste good.

I couldn’t wait to have this fruit for breakfast this morning. My green monster supply has now been drained, so I am left with exotic fruit experimentation (EFE) to keep my mind off of them until my shiny new appliances return.

Behold, the Dragon Fruit

IMG_2488

Preparation of a Dragon Fruit was surprisingly two things: 1) Super quick, and 2) Super fun.

Step 1:

Assess Ripeness

Poke the dragon fruit to assess ripeness. It should feel slightly spongy, almost like a kiwi. If it is very firm, leave it for a day or two and check again. The skin should be a bright pink colour (how fun is that!). I also read that it is best eaten chilled to bring out the flavour.

One way to check if it is fresh, while picking them out in the grocery store, is to feel the stem. It should bend without breaking when you touch it. If it is brittle, move on. This particular little guy was doing the Dragon Fruit Dance (DFD; see below).

IMG_2490

Step 2:

Slice in half

Use a big knife and let out an evil cackle or two.

IMG_2492

Step 3:

Let out a squeal in delight.

Do the Dragon Fruit Dance (DFD)- video coming soon (jk!!!).

IMG_2500

Step 4:

Extract from skin

Spoon out the fruit with a large spoon. The fruit surprisingly came out VERY easy. I was so shocked!

IMG_2506

It was like the fruit was just bounding out of its’ skin.

IMG_2509

The only thing I can conclude from this is dragon brain:

IMG_2516

I know, right!?

IMG_2530

Step 7:

Gobble, gobble.

IMG_2526

My taste review:

• It had a very light sweetness to it
  • It was very hydrating
  • Delightful appearance and texture
  • I LOVED it! Loved, loved, loved it.

The nutritional information is presented below. Because it has a light sweetness to it, this fruit is very low in calories. For the entire fruit, we’re looking at no more than 60 cals or so.

ffffffff

I saved half of the fruit and I am going to enjoy it in my next green monster (I hope, if it arrives soon!). I hear this fruit blends very well and is great in juices.

It is so much fun breaking out of the traditional fruit rut! Apples ain’t got nothing on this guy. Now, I just have to keep my eyes peeled for sales so I don’t break the bank! lol.

Enjoy your Friday my friends!

Angela_Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.

—Ambrose Redmoon

1 Kath August 21, 2009

You’ve been talking to Zesty?!

Great post!!

2 EatingRD August 21, 2009

oooh! I like the new bloggie design! You are so talented, I need bloggie help! I’m a web-design retard haha Do you use a template, or code it yourself? I like the share links at the bottom too.
mmm . . . I’ve never tried dragon fruit, looks interesting and very good :)
-kristen

I used a theme for a base and then changed it for the old version (blue) and then I changed all the colours for this new one (and obviously the header too) ~A

3 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 21, 2009

Nope I did it all on my own amazingly! haha

4 jessinnyc August 21, 2009

I need to buy that fruit, just to scare my husband.

I’m impressed with your blog design skills.

5 Jessica August 21, 2009

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

6 Gina August 21, 2009

My husband and I had dragon fruit when we were in Hawaii. It tasted really good, but I have yet to buy it here because of the price.
I love the new look of the site!

7 whirrly August 21, 2009

ok, did the dragon fruit eat a dalmatian?
what a fun post. dragon fruit looks yummy!

8 katherine August 21, 2009

The dragonfruit is almost as beautiful as your new blog design!! :)

9 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope August 21, 2009

Whoa, nice new layout!! very island-themed!

10 zestycook August 21, 2009

I love it Ange!

11 brandi August 21, 2009

wow, that is so cool looking! so many colors

12 Nina August 21, 2009

you are crazy with your EFE, braver than i am :)

13 Bonnie August 21, 2009

I LOVE DRAGON FRUIT!!! I’ve never cut it and made it looks so pretty.

14 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) August 21, 2009

what a fun post! The fruit almost looks like it has polka dots on it!

15 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) August 21, 2009

Oooh dragonfruit is so pretty!!! Wouldn’t that be the perfect plated appetizer or light dessert for a black and white wedding? Even more perfect if there are pink accents, then you can use the fruit’s shell (shell? skin? lol whatev!)

Isn’t working on blog design fun?? I’ve been working on a new one for a little while – holding back on releasing it yet, because I need to improve my header making skills lol!

16 michaela August 21, 2009

hey Ange! wanted to comment for a while now amd i’m soooo sorry that my comment would be a tid bit negative. i just thought some feedback might be needed. i don’t like new design. i’m sooo sorry to say that cause you (obvi) want to make you blog better, but this design is weird for example that sun where used to be a very pretty photo of yours is shining soooooooo bright, almost unnatural. i feel like i’m melting here. i liked the blue/green one much more and it was so YOU! plz change it back! or change to a new one but with the same blue/green design. love the dragon fruit! sorry for my comment! i just love your blog soooo much that i thought i might give my opinion!

17 Allie August 21, 2009

love the new design! the dragonfruit kind of creeps me out. i am not sure why.

18 Angi August 21, 2009

Dragon fruit is awesome! I am glad you liked it! I wish it wa cheaper, because it would be a daily fruit.

I have to agree with an above poster….the gold is not as zen and clean as your former layout. I also don’t think your pictures stand out as well.

19 Carrie August 21, 2009

OMG! Crazy!!!!! It looks like dice when you cut it into squares!!!!!!!

20 Rachel August 21, 2009

So so so cool! What a fun fruit! I don’t think I’ve ever seen the inside of a dragonfruit before and I’m so happy you posted this.

21 Beth @ CrossBorderCravings August 21, 2009

Yum that fruit looks so…artsy! And yummy. Thanks for the instrux – I never know what to do with exotic fruits like that and tend to avoid buying them as a result!

22 Mellissa August 21, 2009

I love dragon fruit, so good!!

23 Pam at Highway to Health August 21, 2009

I’m impressed! Exoctic fruit is so intimidating to me sometimes!

24 Pam at Highway to Health August 21, 2009

or exotic even!

25 Andrea@WellnessNotes August 21, 2009

The new design is awesome! Great job!

And you have totally inspired me to look for, buy, and eat a dragon fruit! Thanks! :)

26 Run Niki Run August 21, 2009

I seriously thought you had a bowl of dice in the first picture, hehe! I will definitely have to check out this dragonfruit now that you’ve raved about it.

27 Erika August 21, 2009

Love the new blog! And the dragon fruit looks so interesting. Are they widely available?

28 Marina August 21, 2009

Wow! this fruit looks amazing! but I would be scared to eat it :D

29 Alex August 21, 2009

Ohh, blog looks so warm and tropical now…love it!

Dragon fruit is a work of art isn’t it? It’s one of those things that makes me stop and say, “Wow, the natural world is so full of art and beauty!”

I challenge you to try a granadilla! http://www.exoticlandfruits.com/granadilla.htm

30 Jess August 21, 2009

Am I the only one that can’t see the new design? It’s still blue for me :(

31 Stephanie August 21, 2009

I think you should keep the new design. Why not switch it up now and then? I imagine that is the fun of having a blog!

32 Menden @ Skinny Menny August 21, 2009

How beautiful! I’ve never seen anything like that dragon fruit! I definitely need that in my life :)

33 Eve August 21, 2009

That looks fantastic! I will definitely try dragon fruit the next time I see it :) Thanks for the review.

34 Ali August 21, 2009

I have never tried dragon fruit! I think I am going to have to now that I know how to eat it! Looks good!

35 Kristen @ Simply Savor August 21, 2009

loove the new design, it looks great angela!

and that dragon fruit is crazy looking, i’m going to have to try it out now!

have a great day, and thanks for the awesome quote :)

36 Paige @ Running Around Normal August 21, 2009

Love the tutorial and the new layout. LOL at Dragon Fruit Dance. hehe

Looks super easy to prepare – I just might pick up one for myself tomorrow at the store :)

37 Andrea (Fit Healthy Fun) August 21, 2009

The blog looks great, Angela. That fruit looks divine!

38 Maureen August 21, 2009

The new design looks great I especially like how everyother comment is in colour makes it a lot easier to read.

39 mrs cad August 21, 2009

Next time try it with a squeeze of lime! It tastes fab :)

40 Ryane August 21, 2009

I gotta try one of those bad boys out!

And I looooooove your new theme – VERY glowy! Makes me crave a dragonfruit cocktail on the beach!

41 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now August 21, 2009

I may have to try one if I can find one.

42 Amy August 21, 2009

When I saw the picture of that, I thought you made some concoction with chia seeds! haha. Sounds yummy!

43 Jenn August 21, 2009

Well, that is about the coolest thing I have ever seen! Thanks for sharing this – I would never had tried something like that if I just saw it at the store!

44 britt August 21, 2009

i love that quote!

and, wow, that fruit looks so good. i’ve never seen one before but will definitely keep an eye out.

45 Marilyn August 21, 2009

Your website looks different! Niiice :)

Dragonfruit isn’t one of my favorite fruits, but it’s EVERYWHERE in Vietnam. :) It’s a really strange fruit, and I’m glad you like it!

46 Jolene August 21, 2009

Haha weren’t you surprised when you first cut in and saw what it looked like inside!!!! I sure was!! I was NOT expecting it to be black and white :-)

47 Beth August 21, 2009

Your blog makes me feel hot and sweaty and all ready to go dip in the ocean!

48 allijag August 21, 2009

wow! too cool! i love the way insides looks (and who would have ever though an intimidating looking fruit would have been so easy to cut!)

love the “glow” look -two thumbs up!

49 theskinnyplate August 21, 2009

Wow. So pretty how u used the skin as a bowl.

50 Aaron @ CrossBorderCravings August 21, 2009

Beautiful pics! I think I may have tried this before and I remember having NO idea what it was! Now I know, lol. I think I will have to try it again :)

51 Courtney August 21, 2009

The dragonfruit looks like dice!! Cool! Love the new blog design…except it makes me want to go on vacation ASAP!!!

Hope you have a great weekend!

Courtney
Adventures in Tri-ing

52 Sana August 21, 2009

The new layout is different, you need to add your picture back!!! Otherwise its very warm! Wow I have never seen anything like that! Its so different looking…..and creepy name….lol!

53 Bridget August 21, 2009

I’ve had dragonfruit flavoured items but I’ve never tried the real thing. It looks so pretty and I’m sure it tastes delicious!!!

54 maggie August 21, 2009

Hey Ange,
Just wanted to let you know I’m posting about your Stuffed pepper bean dip tonight! Thanks for the great idea!

Maggie

55 So August 21, 2009

Hello Angela, the Dragon fruit is so beautiful. The first time I tried it, in Barcelona I thought it was really good. Then I tried it in Canada, and it tasted like sweetened water…

As for the layout, I must admit that I preferred the old one. The sunset picture is very nice, but your picture was so “Oh she glows” and represented your blog perfectly…just my opinion!

56 Errign August 21, 2009

I like how dragon fruit sort of looks like dice!

57 Jen August 21, 2009

You’ve got me wanting to look for dragon fruit and try it myself! It looks delicious!

I love the new design!

58 Kim August 21, 2009

Love the new design!! :)

Interesting fruit!! I may see if I can find one! ;)

Kim

59 Krista August 21, 2009

I tried dragon fruit a while back and quite enjoyed it myself! It reminded me of a cross between a kiwi and a pear in consistency and taste….

60 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 21, 2009

Never had one, thanks for the tutorial! And for linking your past posts of lychee and fig. I think lychee is pretty blech, too. Dragon fruit looks interesting…thx for posting.

61 Meghan@traveleatlove August 21, 2009

Gorgeous new blog!

62 Mel August 21, 2009

Thanks for putting the disclaimer about changing the page design. I thought at first the flu was really taking it’s toll on me. Colors make me think of Hawaii.

63 Fattie Fatterton August 21, 2009

I love the new design!!

64 Kristina August 21, 2009

you make me want to go get a dragon fruit… I think tomorrow I will !

LOVE the new design !

65 WholeBodyLove August 21, 2009

The new design is awesome!! It is so fitting.

66 Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) August 21, 2009

Hi Ange,

Did you feel that you needed to sweeten the fruit- like a little squirt of agave or sprinkle of stevia?

Also, I do like the new blog layout- it’s gorgeous, yet I see it as rather “fiery”- yes, glowing definitely. I don’t know if that’s the “glow” you are looking for or more of an inner glow. Only you know the answer :-)

67 emily - eatventures August 22, 2009

I NEED to try one of those!!!!

68 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) August 22, 2009

oh and I love the new design!

69 Gloria August 22, 2009

I love dragon fruit but I just like spooning my fruit out

70 Susan August 22, 2009

I saw dragon fruit for the first time at the Superstore the other day! I couldn’t bring myself to experiment with such an expensive fruit – but now I now it’s worth it. Thanks Angela! :)

PS Apples will always hold the top spot in my heart ;)

71 Susan August 22, 2009

I live in Southeast Asia, where the dragon fruit is very common. If you think the white one is good, you should be on the lookout for the pink ones – same color on the outside, but a deep pink on the inside…they are even better!

72 Madelin @ What is for breakfast? August 22, 2009

Liking the new theme! Very summery :). I’ve seen dragon fruit in Asia but haven’t tried it before. I will next time though!

73 lesley August 22, 2009

I love the look of dragon fruit but have never tried it … looks good!!

74 christina August 22, 2009

thumbs up on the new design! dragon fruit- i actually never even heard of it- looks great though! thats a cool idea you have there- trying out new fruits

75 Christa August 22, 2009

Love the new design!

76 Cait (Cait's Plate) August 22, 2009

I read this yesterday and was so amazed I forgot to comment! Haha. THIS IS AWESOME! I’ve NEVER seen a dragon fruit before…It seems like it has the consistency of melon almost! I can’t believe you could cube it like that, I never knew! :)

77 gina (fitnessista) August 22, 2009

your blog design skills blow my mind! um, is there anything you CAN’T do?? :D
thanks so much for the dragon fruit how-to.. those little guys are intimidating
have a wonderful day!

78 Renee August 22, 2009

Angela, I love this! I wrote a post about it on my Examiner.com site: http://bit.ly/CziRH

79 Francesca August 22, 2009

i LOVe the design its perfect!!!

80 Shannon August 22, 2009

Yellow is my favorite color! It’s a happy color, I think. Your blog is “glowing”!

The Dragon Fruit is definitely one that has scared me because I didn’t know how to eat it…until now. Thanks for the tutorial. I’ll be on the look out for one now!

81 Faith August 22, 2009

I love your new blog look…it definitely glows! That fruit is so pretty and I love how it looks like it’s got a built-in bowl!

82 RunToFinish August 22, 2009

wow I have never ever tried one, this was a great post!! love it

83 Liz @ In The Skinny August 22, 2009

Wow! I think I want to try dragonfruit. I like the name and they way you cut it looks like dice. Neat!

84 Katie August 22, 2009

That is the coolest looking fruit ever! I’ve only had it IN things, so I never saw what it looked like before. Gotta find that!

Also good job on your new layout, it looks great!

85 Foodie August 23, 2009

Caution: read only if looking for honest feedback.

I’ll have to agree with (a few) previous posters that the new blog design lacks the real ‘glow’ feel. It kind of looks more like a travel site. I liked how the picture of you made it so personal. And the orange-ness is hard on the eyes. The blue was more soothing and holistic. Also, while I still prefer the old look, I do agree that it was in need of updating. Have you ever considered getting a professional theme done? Some blogs just say ‘wow’…and really feel unique. Please don’t get me wrong, though. Whatever you choose to do is fine. This is just my opinion, and it seems like a lot of people really like the new look. Regardless, NOTHING will keep me away from the amazing content and contagious enthusiasm that vibrates off your blog. You are truly an inspiration!!! Ok, that’s just my two cents.

(I hope this doesn’t sound mean!) :0

86 Anna August 23, 2009

Hi Angela,

I, too, have to agree with the previous comment(s). The new design looks nice, but like Foodie said, it looks more like a travel site (it certainly makes me want to book a ticket to Hawaii!!! ;)). I fing the new colors a bit too bright and distracting; and where the old theme was calm and relaxing and made me want to spend time on your site, the new design sort of makes me want to read everything quickly and move on. This would probably not be a big issue on a blog that has few words, but since your posts are quite long and interesting, people spend more time on your site. I think it might look nice if you got a picture very similar to the one you have now, but with more bluish/pink colors (as you often see during a beautiful sunset/sunrise), and you could then keep the light blue/white/pink background that is easier on the eyes and keeps the readers’ attention on your posts instead? The tropical palm trees are nice and summery, but I think a picture of your beautiful Canadian nature might work nicely, too. ;-)

Other than the colors, however, I love the update – specially the new calendar feature on the right (something I always missed!); and regardless of the theme/colors, I will certainly keep reading your blog! After all, everything is just a matter of taste, and it might be that the majority prefers the new theme. ;-)

87 RunToFinish August 24, 2009

i got all excited about this and went to buy one…it cost me $11 and I almost freaked out

88 Jenn (www.j3nn.net) August 25, 2009

OMGawd! That is the COOLEST looking fruit I have ever seen! I must find one :shock:

Jenn

89 Becca I. August 29, 2014

I’ll admit, I’ve never seen or read any of your blog before BUT! I found my first dragon fruit this morning and I was wanting to make sure I didn’t have to do anything odd with my yummy looking, colorful new little friend that is sitting in my fridge waiting to be eaten later. It was like you were in my head with your comments; so wonderful and energetic, keep up the positive vibe, the world needs more people like you!
Looking forward to my dragon fruit, I promise to laugh all evil like for an extra few moments for you when I break into it!

Cheers and all the blessings in,the world to you in,all you do!