Homemade 10-minute Yogurt

img 2159 thumb   Homemade 10 minute Yogurt

Yes, you saw that right.

I thought I was seeing things too when I stumbled across Celine’s latest post over at Have Cake Will Travel.

Homemade Soy Yogurt?!

She posted a recipe for Homemade Soy Yogurt! If you have ever purchased soy yogurt (or any yogurt for that matter!) before you know how pricey it is.

So you can imagine my delight over the prospect of making my own Soy yogurt! With summer just around the corner I love having a cold breakfast option aside from cereal or a green monster. Off to the kitchen I went at 11pm last night!

The recipe was hands-down SIMPLE to make! From start to finish I was in and out of the kitchen in 10 minutes.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup soymilk (I’m sure you could use any type of milk?)
  • 1 T fresh lemon juice
  • 1-2 T agave (or any other sweetener- I used 1 T agave)
  • 1 T cornstarch
  • 1/2 t pure vanilla extract
  • fresh strawberries, chopped small (optional)

img 2158 thumb   Homemade 10 minute Yogurt

Directions:

1. Mix soymilk + lemon juice together and allow to curdle. The milk bubbles a bit when you add the lemon juice.  Embrace your inner mad scientist and cackle ever so evily!

2. After 30 seconds or so, add in the agave and cornstarch. Blend with a hand blender until smooth.

3. Pop into microwave for 60 seconds on high.

4. Stir, stir, stir.

5. Microwave for another 60 seconds. Stir, stir, stir.

6. Add any mix-ins you want (she suggests vanilla extract, lemon zest, fruit, etc). I added fresh chopped strawberries (about 3) and 1/2 t vanilla extract.

7. Microwave for 60 seconds. Stir and then pop into the fridge to chill. Stir before eating.

Easy as that! :)

Time to make: 10 mins. flat

img 2157 thumb   Homemade 10 minute Yogurt

Makes: 1.5-2 cups

I made this last night before bed for a quick breakfast in the morning! My strawberry soy yogurt was waiting for me when I came downstairs this morning. It got all thick in the fridge overnight. :)

This breakfast took me all of 2 minutes to prepare:

- Add 1 T ground flax

- Add 1/2 T pumpkin seeds

- Add t raw cacao nibs (from Whole Foods)

- few dried cranberries

- Add fresh blueberries

img 2165 thumb   Homemade 10 minute Yogurt

Here are the nutritional stats for the soy yogurt (Just the milk, cornstarch, 2 T agave, and lemon juice):

untitlefffffffffffffffffd thumb   Homemade 10 minute Yogurt

Note: That is for the whole recipe (almost 2 cups) and it is using 2 T agave (not 1 like I used). If you are only using 1 T agave, subtract 60 calories or so.

The taste?

• I liked this much more than my unsweetened Solgurt! However, I don’t think I am used to the taste of Agave all too much. I think I would have liked it better sweetened with something else. Next time I might try honey or raw sugar.
  • All and all this recipe is a winner. It is a quick and cheap alternative to store bought yogurt! Celine says it becomes addicting so I’m going to trust her on that one! :)

img 2163 thumb   Homemade 10 minute Yogurt

I also estimated this batch to cost under $1.00 CAD!!! I’m pretty sure the Solgurt I buy in the store is $3.99??

With my added nuts, seeds, cranberries, and blueberries this breakfast runs about 357 calories and packs tons of healthy fats, protein, and fibre! Check it out:

untitledfixins thumb   Homemade 10 minute Yogurt

The wheels are already turning to use this in green monsters, baking recipes, and unsweetened spread over sweet potatoes, salads, or other meals! Wouldn’t this be awesome in a taco salad??

The possibilities are endless!

Today’s question: What is your favourite way to eat yogurt? What meals/recipes do you love that include yogurt?

Leah @ Simply Fabulous May 27, 2009

My first thought? This would be great on top of a sweet potato!! Minus the strawberries of course. Wow, that looks great. I would make it today but I don’t have corn starch. Hmph.

Katie May 27, 2009

I either like Chobani plain or with strawberries…. And Island Vanilla Kashi is good in it too. Really my Chobani is good however :) I am slightly addicted and it is NOT cheap *sigh*

brandi May 27, 2009

what an awesome idea! I love having cold options in the summer, too, but yogurt is SO Expensive sometimes!

And I totally want a skinny mini globun :) those looks AMAZING

Mara @ What's For Dinner? May 27, 2009

Oh I’m totally going to try making soy yogurt now! Awesome! I like most Greek yogurts with oats, berries, and something crunchy.

Christina May 27, 2009

Awesome! Thanks for posting the recipe, I love my soy yogurt but not the price. I wonder if this would work with almond milk, I think I’ll try it out this week!

Ann August 20, 2013

Did you end up trying this with almond milk? How was it?

theoddbod May 27, 2009

that might save a buck or two on yogurt…sure beats some of the gelatinous slop at most super markets.

Bec May 27, 2009

wow looks at you miss kitchen experimenter extraordinaire!

Eat, Live, Love, Dream May 27, 2009

LOVE the YOGURT!! Or should I say “sogurt”! I will be trying that! It sounds too easy!

gliding calm May 27, 2009

sooo cool Ang!! fa shizzle my nizzlE!! hahaha

diana May 27, 2009

Thanks for sharing. I am going to have to test the recipe out.

Shelly May 27, 2009

I like Greek yogurt with fruit (especially blackberries or rasberries), a drizzle of honey, and either low calorie granola or a crunchy cereal (I generally go back and forth between galaxy granola in vanilla almond and kashi go lean). I also like it with just honey and walnuts.
You may be able to make actual soy yogurt (and get the probiotic benefits) without much more effort-although you have to let it sit for about 8 hours before you stick it in the fridge to cool it overnight.
Here’s a good link.
I actually have made homemade dairy yogurt (I have a yogurt maker) and I like to add blueberries and maple syrup to that. Yum!

Jenna May 27, 2009

You are so ambitious!! lol this yogurt looks amazing! :)

Marisa May 27, 2009

I have become addicted to Liberté yogurt. I cup up strawberries the night before in a bowl and leave them in the fridge over nigh. In the morning I drizzle the berries with honey, add a couple spoons of yogurt and top it all with Kashi granola. Mmmm.

Katherine May 27, 2009

I have two favorites yogurt meals:

1. Activia yogurt with ground flax, Kashi cereal and fresh fruit

2. Greek yogurt (Fage) with fresh fruit, homemade granola and a drizzle of raw honey

Actually, the greek yogurt version is definitely my favorite – I got hooked on my honeymoon in Santorini!

Have a wonderful day :)

Megan May 27, 2009

Hey Angela! Your green monster smoothies have changed my life! I love you! (In a non creepy way of course)

Recently I came across this recipe and I thought of you immediately:

With your smoothies and green pancakes, green ice cream sounds like something you would love.

Have a nice day Angela!

carolinebee May 27, 2009

I’ve totally converted to greek yog since blogging! I used to LIVE off of those tiny fake dannon lite n fit, blech!? Lately i’ve been blending it into my oatmeal for extra creaminess- but i love it with cold cereal and banana! Your homemade one looks great, although Solgurt is pretty fun to say :D

Priyanka May 27, 2009

That’s an awesome idea, thanks!!

Jenny May 27, 2009

ah this is genius! thanks so much for sharing girl :)

Ellen May 27, 2009

that looks good! what about the probiotics though? that’s one of the best reasons to eat yogurt if you ask me. also, do you think this could work with another milk like hemp?

I take a daily probiotic so I’m not too concerned about it in the yogurt :) I would think it would work with hemp too! ~A

also, just wanted to share this with you (and your readers!) about organic soy products:

Sheri May 27, 2009

I make my own greek yogurt by straining the regular stuff! Love it with dried cereal, fruit, on waffles and granola! So good. I think I may have to give this yogurt recipe a try! Thanks for sharing!

Michelle Hisae May 27, 2009

I seriously CANNOT WAIT to try this out! This’ll save me loads of money. Thank you guys!

Chelsea May 27, 2009

Very cool. How well do you think it would work to make a big batch and store it?

I think it would keep fairly well…I mean, the only ingredients are the soymilk, lemon, sweetener, and cornstarch. None of these have a short shelf life. I think my soymilk typically keeps for 1-2 months. But it never lasts that long! Just check the best before date on the milk and I would use that as a guide. :) ~ A

Help Meghan Run May 27, 2009

Yummy! I love yogurt as a snack (mixed with some type of fruit and Kashi Heart to Heart) or as breakfast with oats (soaked overnight then mixed with banana and/or apple). Love it. (Greek yogurt all the way!)

www. HelpMeghanRun .com

Alisa - Frugal Foodie May 27, 2009

Now that is a creative recipe! I suppose you could add some probiotic too for that extra benefit, but I like the idea of this for using in recipes!

Eva May 27, 2009

I pay $7 for my solgurt over here in Edmonton! jealous!

Amanda May 27, 2009

LOVE yogurt! I have been using it in smoothies instead of milk because it adds some extra thickness!

Marina May 27, 2009

Can’t way to try this recipe! Looks delicious! Thanks!

Katrina (gluten free gidget) May 27, 2009

They way I had it for breakfast this morning, with fresh berries!

Heather May 27, 2009

What an awesome recipe! Thanks for sharing Angela! I’m saving this one to try out myself! :)

I’m a huge fan of Greek yogurt. I’ll eat it straight up or mix in granola, flax, fruits, dried fruits, nuts, etc. YUM!

Juie May 27, 2009

This looks so good!! I am going to have to add it to my recipe book!!

Lara May 27, 2009

I have been eating a container of Fage 2% as my afternoon snack for about 5 years now. I am hooked on the stuff and although it is pricey it is worth every cent to me. My favorite way to eat it is with sliced almonds or flaxmeal or a swirl of nut butter (or a combo of all three).

Lauren January 16, 2010

Well, I just attempted this, substituting non-fat milk for soymilk and apple cider vinegar for the lemon juice (that’s the only thing I had that was acidic enough to make the milk curdle). Used honey and vanilla extract. I’ll see how it turns out in the A.M.! I’m excited. It smells good, anyway…

Lauren January 16, 2010

Note to self and others…this doesn’t work with cow’s milk. The curds separate from the whey: not enough to make cottage cheese, but just enough to make a grainy, not-so-smooth, runny yogurt. Ick!

Outdoorgrrl September 10, 2010

Ever since my husband and I went dairy-free, I’ve been looking for a way to make tangy soy yogurt. Most of the stuff in stores is too sweet and just has the wrong flavor. I don’t have a microwave, but I’m going to try this on the stove top. I assume the microwaving is to heat the cornstarch mixture until it is thick, so that’s what I’ll aim for. I’ll report back on my (anticipated) success.

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty October 8, 2010

I just made this again!! LOVE IT.
I used almond milk… it’s lemony/vanilla flavored… so good!

Beth April 10, 2012

Jessica, did you use store bought almond milk or did you make your own?

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty April 11, 2012

Just store bought! Almond Breeze – unsweetede vanilla!

Danielle November 4, 2010

Do you guys think this would work on a stove?

I don’t have a microwave.. haha.

suzie November 29, 2012

I might have missed the answer, but could I use this yogurt in recipes calling for yogurt? I know that sounds like a silly question, but I wasn’t sure if the real “soy yogurt” would behave differently.

Thank-you,
Suzie

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 30, 2012

I havent tried it out, but I cant see why not. Let me know if you try it!

Molly February 1, 2013

This looked like such a nice idea, since my husband and I don’t eat dairy. I made it with almond milk and it turned into a bubble gummy, rubbery lump. It seemed as though 1 cup of almond milk was not nearly enough for the recipe.

Maria April 8, 2013

I just made this recipe this morning. I did it with two cups of low fat soy milk. So doubled the corn starch. & I didn’t add any flavourings or sweeteners, as I will be using this yoghurt for savoury recipes too. Hopefully it will work, as I’ve doubled the recipe and not followed this recipe exactly. Fingers crossed. I guess I’ll see tonight how it turns out.

Ann August 20, 2013

Just wondering if anyone has tried this with almond milk or coconut milk and how it turned out. I try to avoid soy as much as possible. If you used the other milks, did you have to tweak the recipe at all? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 20, 2013

Hi Ann, I’m sorry but I’m not sure….I haven’t tried it with any other milk.

Page 1 of 212»