Blown Away….By Tofu!?

IMG_0598

Fur is flying in our house this morning! Man, some of the battles these cats have is unreal. All three of them are male so I guess they are fighting for dominance and territory. Yeesh. And I thought the dust was enough to clean up!

I had a good 8 hours of sleep last night and I feel back to my old self. Sometimes I find when I don’t get enough sleep I am more emotional (like yesterday). It’s funny how sleep affects every part of our body and mind!

food

So yesterday, while I was doing a ‘little’ grocery shop for our birthday dinner, I decided to get some tofu. I have always been scared of tofu since I had a bad experience with it in stir-frys many years ago. I hadn’t bought it since!

But I decided that I need to try some tofu recipes seeing as I am following a vegan diet now. Tofu is a great way to get some extra protein. My new cookbook, Eat Drink & Be Vegan, has a bunch of awesome looking tofu recipes that I can’t wait to try!

So today I decided to do the unthinkable. I added tofu to my green monster!

Here is the President’s Choice Extra Firm Tofu.

IMG_0594

It has a whopping 16 grams of protein per 88 gram serving! It is also low fat, low calorie, low sodium, and has a little iron and calcium in there.

IMG_0595

I bought this variety because it was the highest in protein out of all of the tofu varieties- by a landslide!

I decided to add 1/2 of a serving since I was unsure what it would taste like.

Here is my half serving– as you can see 44 grams is not much. Eight grams of protein packed into that tiny serving!

IMG_0590

The tablespoon of flax is next to it if you are wondering about the actual size. I would estimate it was about 2” x 2.5” for my half serving.

My ingredients (plus 1/2 a frozen banana not shown):

IMG_0589

• 1 Cup original almond breeze
  • 1/2 serving extra firm tofu
  • 1 T flax
  • 2 large organic kale leaves
  • 1/2 frozen banana

IMG_0593

The taste?

O-M-G. This was maybe one of the BEST green monsters I have ever made!!! I honestly can’t believe that I waited so long to try tofu in my GM!

The taste was sweet and silky which was a bit surprising because ‘they say’ you are supposed to use silken tofu for smoothies. But this extra firm stuff seemed to work wonderfully- good to know!

I was just blown away by this combination. I will 100% be using tofu in my smoothies from now on! It will be interesting to see how long it holds me over compared to without the extra protein.

And now for the reveal…what was in that box???

IMG_0532

My mom and stepdad had planned on buying us our first couch for a house warming gift when they were down here about a month ago. But since they discovered that we are not ready to buy furniture yet (we want to have our colours decided and all that jazz first), they decided that it would be a wonderful idea to buy us something else.

A ride on mower.

When they told us while they were visiting last week we were so thankful- we have over 2 acres of property and it takes a good 6 hours to mow with a push mower!! We got a great deal on it too- the store was having a big blow out sale the day we went. We saved about $1,000!

IMG_0596

I admit I was not happy about buying one of these because of my environmental concerns, but with 2 acres we really didn’t have many options.

I will be out there, with my ipod and beer mug, twice monthly! :) I will probably be able to do our whole yard in just over an hour.

Untitled-51 Day 41 (May 6th): It is time to do some side crunches and some jack crunches! These moves are excellent for ‘love handles’. I just discovered these ‘jack’ crunches last night and boy do they work! Do 3 sets of side crunches and 2 sets of jack crunches.

I’ve gotta get cracking here! It is supposed to be another hot and sunny day so I may try to get outside for my workout after I get my work done.

Enjoy your hump-day!!! :) I hope you have a happy, healthy, and rocking day.

Today’s question: Do you eat tofu? How do you eat it?

Angela_Signature

“I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.”

~Helen Keller

1 Jenna May 6, 2009

What a cool gift! I would have never guessed that! ;)

Your green monster looks super creamy!

If anyones interested I have greek yogurt giveaway over at my blog.

2 Valerie May 6, 2009

Nice gift! That will definitely be better than using a push mower. My parents have a 2 acre yard as well as the ride-on mower is a huge time saver.

Awesome that the tofu in the GM worked out!

3 Jodi May 6, 2009

Awesome wheels! Congrats! hehe

I just finished reading “Skinny Bitch” (which I really had no idea what the book was about – I just jumped in) and now am struggling to eat any kind of meat/meat product. I am so glad that you tried Tofu again. I have no idea why I’m afraid of tofu but I’m glad I’m not (or wasn’t) the only one. Looking forward to reading about your tofu experiences and recipes. Keep up the great work :)

4 Run Sarah May 6, 2009

I love tofu – it is the cheapest protein source I can find, I get my blocks for 70 cents at a local market! Baked, fried and marinated in a million different sauces.

5 Jaime May 6, 2009

2 acre yard. Soooo lucky. I have the smallest back yard ever. :( That’s such a nice gift from your parents!!

Thanks for the video on “jacks”. I’m sooo going to try those out. I haven’t necessarily been following your boot camp, but I have picked up a lot of great exercises from you. I challenge myself with side planks every couple of days and I’m getting better!!

6 Amy May 6, 2009

I am just starting to jump on the tofu wagon myself.

I like it sauteed and put on a sandwich. My favorite combo is my “Green Sandwich” which is Crispy tofu, avocado, spinach in a wrap. I mash the avocado to make it more like a sauce. SOOO GOOD!

I also cut it up into like chunks and fry it in a teeny tiny bit of EVOO and make ‘croutons’. SOO GOOD!

7 Brooke May 6, 2009

I heart tofu! I love to season it and brown it in a pan with a little olive oil, just a tad to make it hard on the sides. Then we add it to stirfried veggies. YUM!!

8 Jennifer May 6, 2009

What a nice gift. I have only had Tofu baked. I was going try it in a vegan cake once, but I could never find all the ingredients so I never made the cake and I suck at baking so I was too scared to make up my own recipe.

9 Ashley May 6, 2009

I too was afraid of tofu for a long time! I think I had a bad experience with a stir fry or something and was totally turned off. I recently tried it again and I really liked it and it has now become a staple in our house.

As I mentioned in my comment the other day – the cashew ginger tofu in ED&BV is AMAZING. I also love making the marinated tofu cubes from the reFresh cookbook and putting them into salads. I’ve only ventured into exra-firm territory so far, but up to now it has been a success!

That is a great gift from your parents :)

10 MaryBe May 6, 2009

Love the armrests on your lawn ‘sofa’! What a fantastic gift!
Does it have cupholders? ;)

11 Kudret May 6, 2009

That’s awesome for a gift. So useful and I’m sure will be used quite a lot. I’m a green-monster addict btw.I’ve finished a big bunch of kale and 2 bags of spinach in the past week and a half. My skin is thanking me and bye-bye chronic mouth sore. So thanks for that!! btw, thanks for the shoutout a couple days in regards to my comment. So happy that it helped you out.

12 Krista May 6, 2009

I love tofu! I put it in my monsters, blend it into my oats, grill it, bake it, put it in a sandwich or over a salad…YUM!!!

13 brandi May 6, 2009

glad you liked the tofu! I’ve never tried it in my smoothies, but i do like meals with tofu.

14 Lara (Thinspired) May 6, 2009

I definitely think the “secret” when buying tofu is to get it extra-firm. I grew up eating it so I don’t have issues with its texture, but I know that is usually the biggest complaint for most people and firm is usually the answer :) I’ve never tried it in green smoothies, though!

15 Mara @ What's For Dinner? May 6, 2009

I NEVER would’ve guessed that it was a mower!!! I can’t wait to try tofu in my green monsters, as I’m now an addict! I don’t know if I’ll move away from spinach though.

16 Kris May 6, 2009

woohoo! We can take the boys for a ride on it this summer!!!

17 Sarah (lovINmytummy) May 6, 2009

I’m a little surprised that the extra firm tofu blended up smoothly…good to know.

I’m sure your yard is big enough to warrant the riding mover. My FIL bought one for a 50 yd strip. He just wanted the John Deere hat. He returned the mower and kept the hat.

18 Amanda May 6, 2009

LOVE tofu! I always press all of the extra liquid out first (under a heavy cookbook and wrapped in papertowels for about an hour) then I either slice or cube it and brush it with some sort of oil (olive or sesame) and add whatever flavors I’m in the mood for (honey, vinegar, hot sauce, spices). Then I either bake it for about 45 mins, flipping halfway through or do it in the skillet. It is so delicious when it gets crispy! Also, Ellie Krieger has an awesome recipe for “fried” rice with veggies and tofu!

19 CB May 6, 2009

Angela,

I wanted to tell you that I gave the green smoothies a try and now it is my favorite morning boost when I get home from the gym!! I use almond milk, kale, flax seed, banana and almond butter. I think about it when I am working out, so thanks for the idea. I think I will give the tofu version a try as well. I could always use a little more protein!!

20 Leila May 6, 2009

Congrats on the riding mower. One of my fondest childhood memories is the rides my grandpa would give me on his in his huge backyard. So glad you gave tofu another shot! I’m a veggie and eat it quite a bit. I love that it takes on whatever flavour you’re cooking with. I like it just roasted in the oven after marinading it. One of my favourite is marinade the tofu in some agave nectar and cinnamon. Then bake it for 20 minutes at 450 flipping half way through. Not only does it smell delicious, but the sweetness is divine when tossed with a salad.

21 Kiersten May 6, 2009

I am a vegan and I eat tofu every so often. To cook with tofu you really need to “press” it first. Lay it between some paper towels, and put something heavy on top (like a saute pan or heavy cookbook), then leave it like that for at least a half hour. Doing this squeezes out the extra water. You can marinade it at this point or just cook with it as is. My favorite ways to cook tofu are in tofu scrambles (with lots of veggies) or broiling it.

22 Leah @ Simply Fabulous Now May 6, 2009

I like to grill the tofu with a bit of evoo and some paprika and cumin!

Glad you enjoyed it in the smoothie!

23 Susan May 6, 2009

I buy the same kind of tofu, it’s definitely the best kind I’ve come across! I like the idea of using extra-firm in smoothies, since I don’t really care for the softer varieties. Raw tofu gives me tummy aches though :(

My favourite way to eat it is just pan fried with some garlic and tossed with a salad :)

24 BethAnn May 6, 2009

The vegan cupcakes from your last post are adorable! I love using food coloring in cupcakes…I should send you some pictuers of the ones I made for easter…they were super cute and easy to make. Also…it seems as if you’re always looking to switch up your ab moves so you should check out the p90x ab ripper moves.

I just use the google videos every so often…it’s a great work out!

Thanks for the watch suggestion…I think I will probably wind up shelling out the money…it will be a good investment in the long run!

Now for a beauty question…do you have any suggestions for good hair straightners? I hear everyone loves the chi but it’s super pricey…I’m on a question to find an average priced (40-65) dollar straightner that won’t smoke when I use it!

25 BethAnn May 6, 2009

wow…i’m currently writing a 10 page paper…i’m on a QUEST to find an average priced straightner haha…wow.

26 Erin May 6, 2009

LOL, I actually despise tofu. Strictly a texture thing. I cannot get past it.

Wow, 2 acres! You so lucky girl. :)

27 Christina May 6, 2009

I love tofu! I like to freeze it and then it doesn’t have such a weird texture once its defrosted. I mainly use it in stir frys or bake it as tofu parm (with sauce) or with bbq sauce.

6 hours to mow your lawn?! That’s crazy – you definitely deserve that new lawn mower!

28 IRJessica May 6, 2009

Love love tofu!

29 Heather May 6, 2009

I saw tofu in Kath’s smoothie yesterday and decided I would HAVE to try it out. Glad to know that it works well in your Green Monsters too! What a great addition! :D

Haha, love the present! That will definitely cut back on the mowing time!

30 weight and meditate May 6, 2009

I LOVE tofu. Baked, stir friend, made into desserts, whatever. My female cats fight and leave furballs all over the place, too! A ride on mower, huh? Great gift!

31 Fitzalan May 6, 2009

I like tofu marinated and baked the best.

For an easy option: I also adore Small Planet’s organic savory baked tofu: galic & herb.

Happiness Awaits

32 Courtney May 6, 2009

I was pretty nervous to let my boyfriend know I’d started a blog. But, he knows now and he’s supportive. :) And I’ve always wanted to try that kind of hot dog. Hmm maybe when I finish up my boca burgers I will give them a shot!

33 Carrie May 6, 2009

I gotta say….the majority of the food you make looks absolutely delicious. But that tofu is grossing me out!! :D

34 Pamela May 6, 2009

Angela!!

As for now,I am still a follower as well. I am planning on starting my own blog soon though!

You say you are trying tofu because you are following a vegan diet now. Does that mean you are cutting out eggs and fish too! I know you don’t usually have meat and dairy… so I was just wondering. I’m not saying that it would be bad if you DIDN”T follow a complete rather than partly vegan diet at all! I was just curious =)

After all, everyone knows what their body needs. I am not trying to push anything by any means.

Hugs,

Pamela

35 Dee May 6, 2009

My favourite way to eat tofu is fried in a nonstick pan and served on a sandwich. I do have to be careful, though. If I eat too much I suffer intense breast pain.

36 Hannah May 6, 2009

I have a question about the green smoothies-how do you fit the kale in your blender?!?! Maybe because I just have a handheld blender thing so it probably wouldn’t work. And does it make more than your glass pictured? I always feel like mine makes way too much.

37 Robin May 11, 2009

Did you press the water out of your tofu before putting it in the smoothie? I, so far, am having a hard time eating tofu, but keep coming back as I hear so many people like it. I bought some to put in my green monster and want to make sure I don’t mess it up and cause me to continue to dislike it. Thanks for any information you can give me!