CSA vs. Grocery Bill vs. Garden

IMG_9722

hahaha. Let’s just say Sketchie missed his main squeeze yesterday! He didn’t leave his lap all night! So cute :)

IMG_9721

Who’s cuter: Sketchie or Hubby? I can’t decide!

Sorry for the late post this morning. I had an order to do today and I wanted to get it out of the way so I would be free when my mom arrives this afternoon!

As I mentioned yesterday, we are getting flooded with good weather. And it began today!

I celebrated with a delicious green monster of course.

IMG_9724

I couldn’t sleep last night so I needed something that would energize me.

Ingredients:

• 1.25 cup Almond Breeze
  • 3 cups baby organic spinach
  • 1 organic peppermint tea bag
  • 1 T flax
  • 1 T homemade almond butter (love this addition!)

I had it on the deck in the sun. No better way to start the day!

I knew I was planning on a mid-morning run today, so I tried out some new cereal too:

IMG_9715

Unfortunately they don’t sell this by the huge bag in our grocery store, so I had to get the box. It is actually a good thing I didn’t get a huge bag because I wasn’t thrilled about the taste!

IMG_9718

I guess I am used to the delicious Spelt flakes now. This stuff tasted too ‘wheat/bran-y’ to me. Don’t get me wrong, it was ok. I had a big bowl and finished it all! lol.

The nutritional profile is decent too:

IMG_9717

All and all I wouldn’t buy this kind again, but it was a nice change anyways!

CSA Comments

Thank you for all of your wonderful comments and suggestions after last night’s CSA post! I think it is so amazing that we can all give each other so many awesome tips and suggestions on here. I have learned so much from all of you since starting OSG. :)

Just to touch on some of the comments:

• Good news- I checked the plastic spinach box and it does have a recyclable sign on the bottom. Serves me right for listening to hubby! lol. I still would like to reduce buying these though. Many of you mentioned that I find ways to reuse the boxes and I think it is a great idea and one that I do often!

This box is a used spinach box below. I gave it to my SIL and BIL and niece a little while ago:

IMG_6317

Pretty cool, huh?? I betcha didn’t know that was a used spinach box!

• Regarding starting my own garden: Yes, I most definitely want to start my own garden! I am not sure if we will have the time to do it this summer with all of our renos going on, but it is a possibility. I also want to learn about gardening (since I know nothing about it) before just diving right in with no knowledge on how to grow one. If we don’t build one this summer, we will next summer. IN the meantime a CSA for this summer may be an option. Many of you gave me even more resources and links that I am going to look into! I also want to check if our local farmer’s market has organic produce. The Plan B Organic farm that I was thinking of going with offers a weekly payment ($23), which may be a good option for us so we don’t have to pay up front. I looked at our grocery bill from yesterday and we spent way more on produce than $23- ($34.34) and that was only buying organic for the spinach, romaine, and apples! The rest was non organic. So who knows we might even be saving money this way! Of course once we have a garden this will save us TONS of money!

IMG_9725

Yesterday we spent $34.34 on produce. Only the romaine, spinach, and apples were organic, the rest was not.

Ok, I’m off for a run in this glorious weather! I am testing out whether my calibration was correct on my Foot Pod.

I’m in 7th place for Best Health Blog now…not to shabby! :) Thanks everyone!!!!

See you this afternoon with ‘OSG MOM’!! :D

Angela_Signature

1 Run Sarah April 24, 2009

Have a fabulous Friday and a great run!

2 Christina April 24, 2009

You’re right, I had no idea that was a spinach box! It looks so nicely packaged :) Great way to reuse!

3 e. April 24, 2009

That box is PERFECT for OSG treats! I think that’s an ideal way to recycle — and it’s low cost for your business. ;-)

Speaking of cereal, I just got a new cereal delivery (MixmyGranola!). The thing is, I was daring and ordered it with muesli. Can I eat this “raw” like I would regular cereal? I read that you have to soak muesli or your body can’t absorb the nutrients. But I kinda like to snack it straight out of the tube… do any nutrition gurus know?

(By the way, my custom mix was muesli, gojis, amaranth seeds, flax seeds, hemp seeds, chia seeds and lots of love. I thought it would be just so-so and ordered it because I have a coupon. I’m hooked. I love.)

4 Courtney April 24, 2009

Wow, your green monsters always look so tasty! Mine are still pretty purple (I throw a lot of blueberries in with my wheat grass and spinach ;) One day though!

I am so happy to see how the Bakery is going, and your garden! I might have to fly up there to get some REAL produce!

How do you manage it all with your job though? I’m a student, and I find myself struggling with even finding time for the gym bewteen Chemistry labs and Psychology case studies …. Are you still working at your top secret job? :)

5 VeggieGirl April 24, 2009

Love Sketchie and the use for the spinach container!!

Sorry about the cereal :-(

Enjoy your run!!

6 Leah @ Simply Fabulous Now April 24, 2009

It’ll be interesting to see how grocery shopping vs’ CSA works out! Great experiment!!

Enjoy your run :)

7 Courtney April 24, 2009

and e: You don’t have to soak muselix, people started doing that actually because it changed the texture, not because it’s the only way to get the nutrients. Water or no water, your body will be able to digest it and get what it can out of it. “A more traditional way of preparing it cold is to add the milk the night before to the Muesli and let it soak in the refrigerator over night. This actually makes a very unique, flavorful cereal in the morning — especially if there are a high-proportion of oats in the Muesli recipe. As the milk soaks, the oat flavors migrate in to the liquid, making an “oat milk” which is rich and creamy.”

from http://www.iconocast.com/00019/S4/News9.htm

8 Sarah April 24, 2009

Is Sketchie a Bengal cat?
That is my absolute favorite breed EVER! I can’t wait until I am done college and out of my parents house so I can get one! Haha!

Have fun with your Mama!

9 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 24, 2009

Yes he is a Bengal!! VERY hyper tho watch out! lol. He ninja kicks our walls.

10 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 24, 2009

I have to get that on video!!!!!!!!

11 brandi April 24, 2009

that’s what our cat does with my husband, too. she’s such a daddy’s girl :)

have fun with your mom!

12 Michelle Hisae April 24, 2009

I definitely agree that CSA is the way to go. You can feel good about where your money is going because it’s supporting local agriculture.

13 Wiggs (The Beholder) April 24, 2009

The urban planning firm that I used to work for always incorporated CSAs into our neighborhood designs because they’re such a fantastic resource for the community. And you’re right – they do end up being less expensive than buying your food at the grocery store. The most successful CSAs that we designed were located in low-income communities. It was amazing to see the residents coming together to help each other!

14 Cynthia (Healthy Hollywood) April 24, 2009

Oh my goodness, Sketchie is the cutest thing!!!

What a fabulous idea for reusing a spinach box! I’m definitely stealing that idea from you! :)

15 Jenn April 24, 2009

You know, you don’t have to worry about organic at farmer’s markets really. Buying local is actually much more important than buying organic overall, and most of the farmers at farmers markets are better than organic – and the only reason they’re not certified is because they can’t afford to jump through the hoops. So if you have a farmer’s market, I’d definitely buy your produce there (of course, a CSA, organic or not, is great too)!

At least, that’s how it is in the U.S…Canada may be different, I guess.

16 Marissa April 24, 2009

Sketchie is too cute!!

17 Lauren April 24, 2009

your cat makes me want one… like right now :) so cute!

18 Heather April 24, 2009

I HAVE to try the tea bags in my green smoothies! I bought them last week, so I’m looking forward to using them soon! Glad to hear the addition of almond butter worked well too.

I love how you put that spinach container to good use. Way to reuse and not waste anything! :D

19 gracie April 24, 2009

sketchie is so adorable.

i definitely would like to start my own garden one day. for now i just work with a group that does gardening on my university’s campus. call me crazy but it doesn’t get better than weeding in the sunshine! if you get yours started, i would definitely like to see some pictures.

20 Briana April 24, 2009

My family has a plot at our local community garden that just got started 3 years ago. Although my dad does most of the gardening (and has become known as a garden expert by many) I have to say I look forward even more to summer due to the fresh produce. I love how the fresh light food is ready in the hot days, just when you want it. It sounds like a CSA share would be a good option for you.

21 RunTOFinish April 25, 2009

it amazes me how much more I can get at the farmers market than at the store!! it’s so cheap!

22 e. April 27, 2009

Thanks for the response about muesli Courtney!